PDA

View Full Version : The Z-Word [M - OOC]

Poot
11-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Rated M for distressing situations, potential language, violence, gore, underage drinking, and drug references

The Z-Word

Kevin Mallow was exactly sixteen the first time he killed a man. If that's what you would call it.
Maybe it was a thing?
Or was that rude?
Whatever.
All he knew, as he stared into the giant deep fryer, that he was only sixteen and he probably wasn't supposed to do something like that. Like, ever.

✄ - - -

Kevin was fifteen when he got his job at Chick On A Stick. He thought the name was stupid, but he was desperate. Desperate times call for horrible jobs. He would wake up and walk to the fast food place day after day in his oversized uniform and stand at the cashier, fattening up men and women and families in need of quick food.
Kevin felt almost bad as every person entered, obviously so amazed at the idea of chicken impaled on wooden sticks.
Exciting. New. Revolutionary. An exciting, new, revolutionary idea that will change the way we eat meat forever!
And they weren't just saying that. They were actually believing it. It made Kevin sad. It made him want to bring up corn dogs and how nobody had ever thought they were that great. At least the dude who thought up corn dogs had added corn bread. A lot cooler than just putting an unsuspecting chicken on a stick, in Kevin's opinion.
But he never did mention corn dogs, no matter how much he wanted to. Because that is sour mouth thinking, Kevin Mallow - a direct quote from Mr. Arthur Snopps.
Also known as Kevin's boss.
Who looked ironically a lot like a chicken.

So every day Kevin would go to work, missing school to burn his fingers cooking chicken and feeding it to random people he'd never see again. Felt like he was poisoning them with a smile. A quiet villain hiding behind his nametag and baggy, mustard yellow uniform.
"Hi, my name is Kevin. How may I kill you today?"

✄ - - -

The day that Kevin killed a man-thing-whatever, he had been asked-forced-whatever by Mr. Snopps to lock up the place when he was done. That meant cleaning and turning everything off, too. That meant extra labor for no extra money. Fantastic.
Kevin was cleaning the tables when a man who looked to be about mid-fourties walked in. Actually, more like trudged. Kevin didn't know anybody actually ever trudged.
"Yo. Closed, man." Kevin called with a frown, still leaning over the last table.
The man turned, startling Kevin into dropping his rag and cleaner onto the floor. His skin was gray and sagging off his face, covered in a thin film of sweat, seemingly dangling off his cheekbones. The sight shocking him into silence, Kevin just stood and stared.

"Food... I... I hungry. Got money." The disfigured man held a few ten dollar bills in his pale, shaky hand. "Need... meat..."

"Uh... sorry but you need to go." Kevin whispered, stepping slowly away from the stranger.
The man suddenly lurched at him and grabbed him by the shirt, holding him high off the ground. "No! Food now! So hungry!" The man screamed. Kevin was the kind of boy who would punch the man in the face and call the police - something smart, something strong, something that made him look cool. But there, dangling high over the concrete floor, he saw something in the mans eyes. Something feral and scared and desperate and painful. So, instead of punching the maniac, he hushed him.
"Whoa, whoa, dude! Chill. I'm sorry! It's okay, I'll get you some food. Okay?"
The man stood there for a moment, grunted, and then let the boy down.
"Hur-hurr-hurry up. It... it hurts."
Kevin nodded and ran behind the counter to cook up an extra value meal. For free.

✄ - - -

Just as Kevin finished heating up the deep fryer and threw some chicken in and got out some sticks, he heard screaming coming from the eating area. Inhuman. Loud and feral. Like an animal dying.
Kevin ran to the counter, looking out at the tables. Behind one of the booths the man rose jerkily, twitching and moaning. Now his skin was peeling and his clothes were torn up, like he was in a struggle. But who with? Himself?
The man looked around like an animal before resting his gaze on Kevin, his eyes now showed nothing. Nothing but pure hunger. For Kevin. Slowly, he limped around the table and toward Kevin, growling furiously.
"Man! No I got your chicken cooking!" Kevin yelled, stepping away quickly, his hands up defensively like the dude was gonna shoot him. But part of him knew his yelling was useless. He was something else. Kevin had watched enough horror movies to know that there was something completely wrong.
Possession? No.
Serial killer? No.
Zombie? Sounded about right.

"Look, dude, I'm not letting you eat me. So just leave." Quick pause. "Aw, man, that wouldn't be good either 'cause then you'd eat a little girl or something and start an apocalypse. Unless that's already happened. But I gotta save that little girl, I guess... So what do I do? C'mon, man, what do I do? I just thought I was gonna be going home with some greasy chicken and givin' it to my brother and good-for-nothing dad before passing out in my room, but no. Now I gotta kill me a zombie." Kevin mumbled, half talking to himself, half talking to the dead dude. He looked around, keeping an eye on the zombie - thanking the earth, the Lord, whatever was listening that the thing was as slow as a turtle - while searching for something to do.
His eyes fell on the deep fryer and he ran to it, grabbing a knife and standing next to the bubbling oil, his knuckles white by clutching the weapon so tightly.
Shaky.
Afraid.
He'd never felt that way before. It made him feel weak.
Weak as the footsteps neared and the moans grew louder, zombie moving around the many obstacles of the kitchen. Breathing heavy, preparing to throw the things head into the scolding oil, praying it would work.

It reached out, hands outstretched towards Kevin, eyes hungrier than ever.
Five feet.
Two feet.
One foot.
Inches.
Stab. Knife in zombie chest.
It looked down, staring at the knife calmly. But its confusion was just enough time for Kevin to throw it into the oil, headfirst into the bubbling chicken. It thrashed and jerked, but Kevin held on tightly, too busy pushing the zombie deeper in to notice the tears in his own eyes, his violent sobbing.
And, slowly, the zombie went completely still. It's pounding limbs twitched to a stiff stop, arms falling limply to its sides and legs failing to keep it standing any longer. Probably melted and blackened. Kevin quickly pulled his hands back and the zombie slipped down. He decided not to look. He just walked slowly away, tears streaming down his cheeks, staring at cooked man-thing. Zombie on a stick. And he ran. He wasn't supposed to kill. He was too young for any of that junk. But he had and now he could never take it back.
He jumped into his truck, started the engine and bounded down the street, way over the speed limit. Most of the time he went fifty miles over the speed limit to show he didn't care about any law, any limits. But it was different this time. He cried and pounded on the steering wheel with his fists, forgetting for the moment that there was probably a zombie apocalypse. Forgetting anything but the fact that he had killed. That he was a murderer.

Behind, Chick On A Stick's front door was left open, unlocked. A nametag sat alone on the floor. Kevin quit.

Hi everyone. Welcome to my first attempt at roleplaying on this website. My first try is being a GM - totally not ambitious at all. But, hey, let's give it a shot, anyway! As you can see, this is yet another zombie apocalypse roleplay. However, I wanted to take it a little differently than I have seen others take it. I wanted to show it purely from the point of view of teenagers (13-19 years old.) Most zombie movies/books/roleplays and so on show from the point of view of adults, people who are full grown, have the resources, strength, and wisdom. Sure, there are usually a couple kids or teenagers around, but nobody really goes into what they think. They're just being protected. Now, these kids are going to have to grow up and be the protectors for once - muster up all the strength and intelligence they can. They'll have to put those hours of video games and late-night movie marathons to use.

The zombie apocalypse is already a helpless situation. Now let's see it from the eyes of a 13 year old boy who watched his parents get ripped apart and has to learn how to use a gun. Let's see it from a 18 year old girl's point of view, just finally making it into adulthood with so much left to do. Let's watch it all unfold from a 16 year old who thought he only had to worry about school and how to get the prettiest girl in school to like him. These kids are just learning to grow up, balancing their lives and responsibilities, struggling with raging hormones - and now they're being forced to face the apocalypse with only a small group of other terrified teenagers to help.

I think it could be very, very interesting.

"My dad always said there were certain rules to when a zombie apocalypse came around. What you should and shouldn't do and stuff. Never really paid attention or nothing 'cause it all seemed stupid. Wish I had. This is all I really remember..."

Rule #1: Everybody dies. Pretty much. During an apocalypse its pretty much impossible to survive. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try, 'cause sometimes it all ends good. But also means you should be ready to die. Don't expect your characters to survive. If you want to live, think before you act as much as possible.

Rule #2: Don't have to be nice to others during an apocalypse. It's nice to have company, though, so I'd actually try and make a couple friends so you don't go insane. But do whatever you like. Just make sure that when out of character, you're nice to all the others. They're people, too.

Rule #3: Good grammar and stuff. Otherwise you get kicked out.

Rule #4: Always write at least two paragraphs a post... Please?

Rule #5: No perfect characters, no power-playing, no god-modding, no railroading, or anything like that. Your character is not a super-hero, your character is a scared teenager in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. They ain't gonna be perfect.

Rule #6: Follow the rules or your character is probably going to die. That's how it is. During an apocalypse you follow the basic rules - and for this apocalypse, these are the rules.

BACKGROUND

As the apocalypse is going to start seemingly very suddenly to the characters, they aren't going to know exactly how it happened or what's going on. Instead, I was hoping they would slowly come to realize it over time as the story progresses. Are they rising from the graves? Is it some kind of killer drug? Is it a virus that can be stopped? Is there some kind of toxic food they have been eating? Who knows. We don't. Not yet, that is. However, let me shine some light on the setting.

Everything will be taking place in the small, fictional town of Fairpine in Vermont. With a population of approximately 10,000 people, it's a fairly tiny corner of the state and provides only the basics for it's populous. Most of the place is made up of suburban neighborhoods, picture perfect lanes with dainty names. It's a pleasant little place - quiet and almost completely clean of crime save for a few troublemaking teenagers.

"Downtown" is a few small roads made up of a few small chain restaurants, craft stores, a clothes shop, a tiny theater, a small apartment complex, a library, and a 7-Eleven. Besides downtown, there are very few stores scattered around the town - the best being a convenience store called Food For Yoo on the outskirts of Fairpine. The main attraction of the town are a few paintball fields based at random spots around the town. Otherwise, the town is made up of houses and green fields. Welcome to Fairpine. Be prepared for rain and snow.

CHARACTERS

"Dad would also say that during the zombie apocalypse, you don't trust nobody. Nobody. Just you and your gun. Anybody who doesn't have a good story and good appearance, chop their head off. And, sometimes, even if their story and stuff is alright, chop it off, anyway."

Name:
Sexual Orientation:
Appearance [picture or detailed description]:
Height & Weight:
Personality:
Biography:

NOTE: Personality and Biography are actually completely optional! You can go ahead and fill them out if you want or leave them blank. The reason for this is because I personally prefer to see a character come to life within the roleplay. It feels more real to me, like seeing a puzzle come together jigsaw piece by jigsaw piece. I find it more personal than reading a form about who they are. But that's just my preference. Whatever you would prefer is fine. You can put in as much or as little information as you want into those two sections.

Name: Kevin Mallow.
Sexual Orientation: Pansexual.

Appearance:
http://data1.whicdn.com/images/56796417/tumblr_lyzvvgvjgd1r6fl4qo1_500_large.png

Height & Weight: Six feet, two inches and 147 pounds.

Name: Rose Ravens
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Appearance: Rose has long black hair that falls to her waist. Her eyes are a deep Sapphire blue. Her skin white like snow. She likes to wear black leggings, black knee high boots, red tops and her favourite red hoodie.
Height & Weight: 5'3 and 95lbs
Personality: Rose often tends to be a kind caring young girl. She can easily turn nasty if people aren't careful. She doesn't often lash out at people, but when she does, people don't forget it easy
Biography: Rose sees herself as a youngster in the group. She turned 16 only a couple of days ago, and feels like she doesn't fit in. She turns to Kevin most of the time when she needs help, but tries to hide the fact she really likes him.

Name: Trevor White
Appearance: Thin and pale with Brown hair and green eyes. His trademark outfit is a blue and white plaid collared shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a fedora and red converse to complement his dark blue jeans.
Height and weight: 5' 10", 130 lbs
Personality: All brains with a lot of style

Name: Ellie Martian
Sexual Orientation: heterosexual
Appearance [picture or detailed description]:
http://tweengirlstylemagazine.com/Home/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Laken-Nicole-Mitchem-headband.jpg

Height & Weight: 5'2" and 105lbs

Anastasia
11-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Hey! Here's some helpful links for you!

Roleplaying Games Directory (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40645&p=1318649&viewfull=1#post1318649) – New Roleplay? Add it to our Directory!
Staff Sigs (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3975) – Get your RP featured in our Staff Signatures.
Roleplay of the Week (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=905) – Think your RP could have what it takes to become Role Play of the Week? Enter here!
Roleply of the Week Banner Shop (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18912) – Get a banner made for your RP to further your quest for RP of the Week.
The RPA Tribune (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18026) – Why not let all of RPA read about your RP in the RPA Tribune!

Lunia
11-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Mind if I join m'dear?

Poot
11-07-2013, 10:19 PM
'Course not! Whenever you have the time fill out a character sheet and post it is fine. I'll probably definitely accept you.
Thumbs up. :th2up:

Lunia
11-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Name: Rose Ravens
Appearance: Rose has long black hair that falls to her waist. Her eyes are a deep Sapphire blue. Her skin white like snow. She likes to wear black leggings, black knee high boots, red tops and her favourite red hoodie.
Height & Weight: 5'3 and 95lbs
Personality: Rose often tends to be a kind caring young girl. She can easily turn nasty if people aren't careful. She doesn't often lash out at people, but when she does, people don't forget it easy
Biography: Rose sees herself as a youngster in the group. She turned 16 only a couple of days ago, and feels like she doesn't fit in. She turns to Kevin most of the time when she needs help, but tries to hide the fact she really likes him.

Poot
11-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Awesome, thanks! I'll add you up.

Jason Todd
11-08-2013, 07:16 AM
I have waited for someone with imagination to make this RP. :)

Name: Trevor White
Appearance: Thin and pale with Brown hair and green eyes. His trademark outfit is a blue and white plaid collared shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a fedora and red converse to complement his dark blue jeans.
Height and weight: 5' 10", 130 lbs
Personality: All brains with a lot of style

Redd
11-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Name: Ellie Martian
Sexual Orientation: heterosexual
Appearance [picture or detailed description]: http://tweengirlstylemagazine.com/Home/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Laken-Nicole-Mitchem-headband.jpg
Height & Weight: 5'2" and 105lbs

Poot
11-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Ah thanks guys! I'll add you both up. And shucks Captain you flatterer you. XD

Jason Todd
11-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Who? Me? A flatterer? No way ;)

Poot
11-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Okay dang I'm not sure when an appropriate time to post up the IC would be? Sorry excuse the noob. I was kind of waiting for more attention but I don't think this is going to get much more! Which is all good since it's not really a unique plot or anything pfft. :P

Anywho should I... post the IC? Agh I don't know. :hiding:

ZuZu
11-10-2013, 05:17 AM
Does that mean you don't mind another character? ;D

Name: Daemond Wright
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Appearance: Brown hair, hazel eyes. Because of his background, Daemond has a naturally tan skin tone. While he's not a huge guy, he's not exactly lanky, and he's got an athletic build.
Height & Weight: 6'0" and 177 lb
Personality: Gritty, determined, and bitter. Daemond is usually a rough guy to get along with, and his reasons for being the way he is are not quite clear. He tends to be blunt and make his disagreements clear. He carries an air of elitism and despises being seen as lesser. Thus, he always tries to look impeccable, right down to his clothing and hairstyle. He is distant at times, and keeps his problems bottled away. While Daemond is not particularly proud of how quick he is to anger, it doesn't stop him from getting riled up all the time.
Biography: Daemond's mother was a doctor and his father the owner of a pharmaceutical company. His mother was where his Brazillian side comes from. Daemond was an only child, thus, very wealthy and very spoiled. This was not entirely undeserving however, because Daemond had always been a hardworking individual. He usually got high marks and participated in many sports.

However, Daemond was also prone to outbursts of anger and violence. There had been multiple accounts of him beating up other students, mouthing off to teachers, and being a very unruly person. It was never made quite clear why Daemond lashed out like this, and he has always kept his mouth shut on the matter. Of course, his parents being as wealthy and influential as they were, had managed to cover up these rough spots on Daemond's otherwise impeccable school records.

Daemond's father had been a tough man, a man who pushed him to his limits. If Daemond hadn't been keeping his grades up, or wasn't getting the hang of something, his father didn't hesitate to push him the hard way: with violence. His father had been his worst when Daemond found himself getting in trouble at school. Daemond, deep down, hated his father.

StillWaters
11-10-2013, 05:36 AM
Name: Jessica Davis
Appearance: Jessica is average in height, standing at 5'4'' with shorter legs and a longer torso. She has dark black hair that, when worn down, hits a few inches above her waist. She usually keeps it in a ponytail or a simple bun. Her skin is darker and has an olive-tone to it. Jessica likes to wear comfortable clothes, usually opting out for a t-shirt and jeans rather than a dress or a nice blouse.
Height & Weight: Average - 5'4'' ; 122lbs

-----------

I'd love to join if you'll have me! :)

Insomnant
11-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Oooh, I love your writing style! Very evocative of proper horror movie 'shakiness' for lack of a better word.

If you're still accepting applications I'd love to join. I see you already have a lot of interest but if experience has taught me anything some folks will inevitably drop off the radar.

Good rule of thumb on when to start the IC, by the way, is just a little bit before you believe you have everyone in who will be joining. Don't want to start it too early because then some people will post right away but then lose interest while waiting for everyone to get in and involved.

G
11-10-2013, 11:52 PM
This thread has been featured as the staff selection for roleplay of the week (http://role-player.net/forum/site.php)!

- - - Updated - - -

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/944646_10151795612552839_1270026336_n.jpg (http://roleplays.tumblr.com/)

Jason Todd
11-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Actually starting the IC right now would be a good idea, seeing as how you have a good little group

Higurashi
11-12-2013, 04:29 AM
Name: Isaac 'Split-Freak' Farnson
Sexual Orientation: Asexual (Previously Heterosexual.)
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/answers/1899000/1899386_1313717577528.11res_354_300.jpg
Height & Weight: 6'1", 174lbs.
Personality: Long medical history of clinical insanity, notably schizophrenia and paranoia. One notable aspect of this is that he has lost the ability to distinguish between men and women, despite there often being obvious phyiscal differences. This, combined with an unshakable belief that everyone wants to steal from him or tell only lies has led him to utterly and openly reject the notion of sexuality and romance. The most evident exhibition of his illness is that he will routinely murder random subjects. (Though, in some cases it is not actually murder. One example would be him breaking a lamp for calling him names.) Possibly related, he has a deep passion for music of all types, except for pop, which he seeks out and destroys with a religious fervor.
Biography: His caretakers moved him to the town of Fairpine, Vermont for a number of reasons. They thought it might calm him down, with the variety of nature. (They were very wrong, he prefers the closed in feeling of cities.) The people were of a good disposition and he would interact with them better. (Actually, the more well-behaved a person is, the more he suspects them.) Though they would not admit it, it was also an attempt to limit the loss of human life should he somehow devolve further into madness and violence. (A somewhat credible thought, but ultimately ineffectual.) Recent months have seen his insanity go dormant, allowing him to intergrate into society on a certain level, even attending school once a week. (In truth he's just gotten better at hiding his erratic actions.)

Lazer Dragoon
11-12-2013, 05:27 AM
Me too!

Name: Noah Michel
Appearance: Noah is an athletic black teen, with a shaven head. He wears dark grey cargo pants, a brown jacket and a beret.
Height & Weight: 5'9 148lbs
Personality: Noah is a follower, but can definitely make out on his own very well.

StillWaters
11-13-2013, 03:08 AM
I'm just sort of wondering what the word is on the this roleplay. . .I'd love to see this baby take off! :)

Redd
11-15-2013, 03:15 PM
So, I was just wondering if this was going to start soonish???? :)

Lunia
11-15-2013, 04:11 PM
We just gotta see what Poot says

Gorgeous Nightmare
11-23-2013, 03:14 AM
Name: Scarlett Morrison
Appearance [picture or detailed description]: ->CLICK HERE (http://data.whicdn.com/images/10777338/beauty-blue-eyes-girl-red-hair-red-lips-scene-Favim.com-51044_large.jpg)<-
Height & Weight: 5'3" 105
Personality: Scarlett is very trustworthy, humorous and extremely flirtatious. She loves to take charge and help everyone in their worst situations. She is relatively calm most of the time but can become a bit stressed. Also she is very caring, especially about the people she likes. Sadly though, she is a pessimist, always seeing the downside to things, and that's not great during a zombie apocalypse.
Biography: Scarlett is not your typical teenage girl. All she does, well, did was sit at home all day playing x-box and eating pizza with her guy-friends. These guys never ended up with her, but she never gives up. She is always flirting with every guy in sight. But until she gets used to the whole 'Zompocolypse', as she calls it, there is no time for guys. Her family was all attacked and infected by the virus, except her sister who she had to kill. That is what set her off and now she isn't quite right in the head.