PDA

View Full Version : My Vest

V
07-28-2010, 01:01 PM
A quick not that there might be a lot of typo's (my writing program's spell check doesn't work), just a piece of flash fiction I wrote tonight.

We met in the woods; I didn't have to wait long.
Her pace was quicker than possible and she soon took my hand. We rushed through the trees, brushing past bushes and taking wild trodden paths. The clearing came quick, northing huge by anyone's standards. A stream broke leaving the other bank of trees cut off.
Twirling to a stop in the centre, I stumbled about my eyes dizzied. Tufts of grass stuck out uneven amongst the dirt. A few leaves brushed about in the breeze, likewise trees softly waved. I almost fell but she steadied me, I flashed a smile trying to catch her lovely eyes.
But they were elsewhere looking down. At my vest. It was a truly wonderful vest, of course, coloured this way with stripes. More colours than a rainbow and entirely intoxicating. I made myself not look down at the last moment; lest I be trapped with inspection as well. Her eyes continued their gaze even as I began to speak, “you've come, I had doubts you would but here you are.” Careful not to thrash about, movement was minimalised and the glamourous was withheld.
“Shall we get down to business then?”
“Yes, yes,” she waved off the question with little interest. Her face was still full of wonder; I hoped it was truth and not just an act.
I pressed forth, “the priests are holding your family for purification,” this didn't faze, “sometime within days the army will be coming to collect – the capitol seeks witness to your devilry.” Again nothing, “amongst those participating in the transfer is the governer.”
Her eyes blinked and then suspicion set in, I could only watch her turn away from me and my vest. Black hair, that reached passed her shoulders disguised any emotion now on her face. I watched the light swivel of her dress in the wind whilst she pondered. I didn't need to wait long for her reply, “how long did you think it would take me to notice the effects?”
“Oh? The vest?” I asked in humour, shifting my feet below. Her sad sigh made me break the pause and reply, “quicker than you actually did.”
She hissed but didn't turn back around, didn't wish to risk the allure of the vest. “You've told me nothing I didn't previously know.” I smiled.
“Really? You had previous knowledge of such?”
“Don't play games,” she snapped almost turning face to face – only stopping at her shoulder.
“Yes that is true, then.”
“And? You said you had knowledge early in village that none others knew?”
“And yes again.”
She tapped her foot on the dirt waiting for me to respond. But I held my mouth firm until she finally turned to face me again. I grinned.
“You see, the army is of course coming. But not in days, this morning they were to arrive. So that should mean they have been? Right?” She snarled but I caught her half in gaze of the vest. I wriggled about less careful now watching her pace back and forth (she'd broken away).
She began to change, her clothing falling to the clearing. I watched numbed from previous experience as her form became something not human. Animalistic. The creature shredded its way through the discarded clothing coming to a metre away. A beast now, the woman stared up and waited for me to run. I didn't.
I smiled.
“Hear those noises?” With her animal senses surely she could now here the mustering in the village, “they're coming for you.” I hoped.
The beast lunged at me with a fierce growl, part wolf and savage hyena in one. It took every nerve I had to not shift, to not look away.
She bounced away, whimpered and licked her stinging body. I watched without emotion until finally hearing the cries behind as the hunters began to stalk. She gave one cold look at me and was gone into the day.
I didn't run from the clearing the instant she had gone, lest she lurked in wait. Instead I gave one look down at my feet. The circle carved around me, my salvation.
That and my vest.

L
07-28-2010, 01:27 PM
I like - Good visualization and I'm curious to know more about the vest :D

Is this just a one shot, or will you be adding to it later?

V
07-28-2010, 01:31 PM
You're the second person to want to know more about the vest,

I'm not sure it was a kind of spur of the moment thing really, I might add more later to it. Depends if I can get my head around First Person again :)

Miss Devil
07-28-2010, 01:34 PM
I like it alot! Very good. Hope there is more! Just a few grammer issues but other than that I liked it.

V
07-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks Lolita Doll,

It doesn't really surprise me about the grammar issues, I'll have to give it a quick edit when I'm less tired.

RayleighScattering
07-28-2010, 01:46 PM
I want mooore! ~Luck~

Miss Devil
07-28-2010, 01:49 PM
<3 I really want more maybe when you're less tired