PDA

View Full Version : Forever Ends (A Short Novel By Eli)

Elizabeth16
02-05-2014, 04:08 PM
My name is Doctor James Harmon. I need to tell you what happened to the world. I know you are scared and angry, but you need to know. It will all be over soon.

In a world of science, we began to create soldiers. It didn’t sound like much at first. We studied physiology, we watched the fit men in the world walk, run, sleep, breath. We began to form a fascination with why the strongest and most intelligent soldiers were the best of the best, why they could do what they could do, why they were better, why they were like the machines we wanted our soldiers to be. At first, we just watched, we made our judgments from behind closed doors and whispered amongst the white coats of this world. The studies turned into action plans. Our soldiers were being trained better, faster. Science grew. We grew. And on it went, from paper to theory, from test tubes to animals. From these animals came the experiments.

How could you describe the experiments? How could one ever justify the loss of hundreds on men and women, as we ‘played’ with their genes, inserting and extracting code without a clue of what it meant? How could we, the scientists ever live with ourselves when these experiments lead to beings that stopped being seen as humans? The public yelled and screamed at every grain of information that bled through on the beings that were being created, soldiers of great ability. The governments hoarded their prize into the vast deserts, letting them grow and train. It was swept under a rug, but we continued. We never stopped.

We began to raise children from our soldiers. Breeding the beings we had made, making them believe it was their choice, as if they weren’t puppets in our experiment. The second generation was a double improvement upon the first. We didn’t accept that as enough; the children too were altered, given the injections, the DNA curved and swirled into the designs it would need to be to be invincible. The third generation created a being that lived over two hundred years without a single flaw, not a day over their prime age, until the experiment was killed, or was set aside.

In our world, the soldiers grew. There were thousands now, each trained and ranked, each perfect and flawless. They were beautiful. The sinews and tendons that attached to the glowing muscles were powered by a blood that seemed as sweet as honey, and their eyes took on the gleams of ethereal colors, as if to show how far above us they were. They were controlled. Lovers were paired by our commands, beings went missing and no one questioned it. A single word could have been a command from the highest power for all they knew. Our government separated them into factions, each based from the four best lineages from the second generation. They went to all the corners of our country, to guard in silence as the world tensed and the years passed by. In the middle, we were working on something bigger. Taking superhuman, super soldier to a whole new level.

But as that research was taking place, accompanied by screams of agony and terror and rage making a soundtrack for scribbled technical notes, the last world war happened. There were nuclear bombs overseas, there was no electricity, there were famines and diseases, there were battles, but no one won. America set upon the world our soldiers. They did as they were trained. Our experiments were shipped without regard for the warnings we gave. The factions mingled, made peace and warred, warred and made peace, and did their best to win the war. America won; the cost of the victory left us in ruins. The population was only slightly more than the number of our experiments. America makes a recovery, only a small one. There was hope.
Our experiments worked with the leaders, they were the heroes. We, the scientists, were wrong. We released our newest, and last gene therapy into the pool of experiments. Then, we lost the east coast. Radiation took over half the lands, leaving barren buildings to rot in dust.

In the last few years, the experiments have risen to power. It started as being the enforcers. The heroes. They came together as their factions to discuss the country they had been born to protect. The agreement was that they were the only ones with the strength to do it right. And so, the Resolution began. The experiments took control, and now separate the remaining land into the Four Lands. I’ve heard rumors spreading, rumors that speak of abilities only once mentioned in comics and sci-fi movies. I cannot tell you how true this may be, but I, we, know that we stand only as ants beneath the rule of the experiments. Where once we were in control, we now stand as pawns. They protect us and they lead us, but we are not free. There are still 3rd generation experiments in the leadership of the Lands. It has been over 200 years. I wondered once if they would die, if we let them be, if we didn’t pull our puppet strings or make them soldiers. I know this: It will not be forever.

I have changed the course of the future. I do not know how long it will take. But this will not last forever.

We call them the Altered.