PDA

View Full Version : A portion of my book... Please give me feedback.

Mystress of Shadows
02-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Unknown Goddess

“Alexia, close your eyes.” That’s my mother speaking. You've probably heard of her. She’s Aphrodite, the Goddess of Beauty and Love. My father is Boreas, the fierce and moody Northern wind. That makes me a goddess as well, even though I’m not exactly well known. I am the Goddess of Fierce Emotions, Alexia.

“Why, do you have a surprise for me?” Her words had surprised me as she hardly ever had surprises. That is, unless she was breaking the hearts of mortals and gods alike. I sensed a hesitation in her voice as she tried to figure out an appropriate answer.

“Of sorts, so close your eyes and don’t peek.” I did as she asked, only to feel the familiar twist of wind that often comes with the whirlwind all Olympians use for quick transportation. My amber colored hair was whipped around viciously in the swirling wind, tickling my nose in the process. I sneezed delicately and pulled my hair out of my face, giggling. I should know better by know. I've only done this a few billions times. Finally, the wind stopped moving, and I knew we had arrived, whenever we are.

A deep breath signaled me that we were somewhere I was unfamiliar with. It smelled strongly of metal, sweat, and earth. However, there was something sweet smelling within all of this. It smelled much like the metal, but better, almost like a springtime meadow with wildflowers everywhere. I was strangely attracted to it, and it was weird as I had never felt attracted to anything or anyone. One thing brought me out of that train of thought.

It was silent; not even the wind made a sound, even though it was softly blowing against me. It lifted my hair and caressed my cheek, but it was silent. A sudden roar startled me, but I recognized it. It was the roar of Ares, the God of War. I listened as he launched himself off the ground. Shortly followed was the sharp clang of metal, and Hermes’ elusive laugh. A fight perhaps?

“You can look now, Alexia.” Her voice sounded proud, but that was probably because Ares was fighting. She never rooted for anyone else. She wouldn't even watch a battle unless he was fighting. Tentatively, I opened one eye, and then the other. A quick glance told me where I was, especially with the enchanted dummies running lose. These dummies were quick, and when they were finally smashed by the strength of a god or goddess, they would automatically piece themselves back together due to the magic placed on them by the sorceress goddesses, Circe and Hecate.

Ares and Hermes were having a skirmish not too far off. Ares was wielding a double-handed sword, one with such a weight that I could never hope to lift it, let alone wield it. Even with such weight, his accuracy was impeccable, only matched by the strength of each blow. By looking at his face, anyone could tell that he was quite irritated that his attack was blocked by the scrawny Hermes.

On the other hand, Hermes fought with two light weight blades meant for dual-wielding. The blades didn't drag down his speed in the least, and his accuracy matched that of Ares. His face was lit up in triumph, even though it was only a block. The blades of all three swords were shining with the golden ambrosia. The ambrosia was required to prevent the Gods and Goddesses from causing whoever they were sparring with from getting seriously injured and having to take downtime from their duties to the world below.

When I finally looked away, I was able to observe the actual training area. It looked like a spot in the Sonoran desert in Arizona, barren and dusty. There were large circles, each one at least a half mile in diameter. Ares and Hermes were fighting in one of these, exchanging blow after blow as time progressed. Four of the eleven remaining circles contained the dummies. I watched in wonder as Athena smashed one after another, only for them to regenerate. Eventually, I tore my eyes of off her to observe the rest.

I noticed a building off in the distance, probably 500 meters out. It was a low, gray building that seemed rather dismal. There were no windows, and only one door that I knew I would have to duck under to enter. Around the edges of this door, I noticed something peculiar. There was a pale pink light emitting from it, almost calling out to me. It was just barely visible, but it called for my attention. The next thing I knew, my mother had grabbed my arm and was starting to pull me towards the building. That’s when I realized why we were there.

I was getting my own weapon today. I had been terrified of this prospect for centuries ever since I saw Athena badly wounded in her battle with Medusa. Those two still have grudges after all this time, and they fight whenever they get anywhere near each other. I had seen the building in photos many times before and had never been scared, but when I was about to enter it, it was menacing. Getting my weapon would mean that I would fight, too, and I wasn't exactly what is called comfortable with it.

One step after another, I told myself. It has to be done. I was only 324, but most Gods and Goddesses had their chosen weapon before they hit their 4th century of life. My own demigod sister, Ismene, had the courage to receive hers at age 259. I was beginning to be pitied by the others because of my hesitation, and that is not good for any immortal. It makes them seem weak and unreliable. The final step into the building was the hardest, but a tug from Aphrodite made me do it.

What I saw was stunning. The place was gleaming with gold and silver weapons, and it was as though Hestia had decided to light an eternal flame, creating a homely environment. There were maces and long swords, shields and scythes. Everything was deadly, each one was unique, but these marvelous weapons lining the walls did not hold my attention for long.

The pink glow I had noticed was still there, but it was emitting from one of the corridors this time. Unconsciously, I started walking towards it, curiosity nipping at me. My mother didn't try to stop me either. As I walked, I felt a new sensation within me, one I had never felt before. It was calming, yet exhilarating. It felt pleasant, and it made me go faster. I turned corner after corner, went down a couple flights of stairs. It was a maze, a very large one. Could it be the renowned Labyrinth? It was possible, as with every twist and turn, I came closer to possibly losing my way.

One last turn, and I came to a massive door. The shimmering door almost blinded me. There were intricate swirling designs racing along the door, making it seem as though the door was swaying in the pale glow emitting from it. The glow was as strong as ever. It was compelling me closer and closer, calling for me to come to it.

I could hear it. It was as though whatever was beyond that door was singing in the most magnificent voice I had ever heard before. It was sweet and soothing, maybe even smoother than the sirens’ song. There were no words to the song; it was simply a steady, enchanting hum. A hand, my hand reached out and pushed the door. It swung open effortlessly, and I finally saw what had attracted me so.

Behind the door was a bundle sitting in the middle of the small room's floor. A dark red cloth was used to hold something inside. It was oddly shaped, with something poking on end of the package like it was trying to break free. Hesitation surfaced once again as I took a tentative step into the room. I kneeled down in order to grab the bundle. My hand shook as I drew it to me. It was no bigger than a toaster, but it was heavy. I could tell there was a lot of metal in it, and a lot of magic, too.

I pulled on one end of the silver ribbon, and all the items came tumbling out. The first thing I saw was a helmet of pale pink and silver with intricate designs of swirls and shadows. There were forearm guards. I tried them on, and somehow they fit me perfectly. They had the same designs as the helmet, but I knew these were not what I was looking for. Looking around, I finally found it. It was a dagger with a stunning presence. I almost didn't pick it out of fear of tarnishing it.

The blade itself shone like a beacon. There were wisps of the pale pink glow surrounding it, making it intimidating. As my hand neared it, the wisps neared me, almost like it was trying to grab hold of me. At first I drew back startled, but a deep breath calmed me, and I reached out, this time grabbing the handle.

The blade balanced in my hand perfectly and felt natural. This was what had been calling to me all along. It's straight blade's noise grew stronger at my touch. I noticed a carving along the handle: Only for the one who can hear me. I can hear it, but why does that make me special, I thought. Of all the powerful goddesses out there, why me? The blade pulsed as though it had heard my thoughts. I was already beginning to feel like one with it.

I decided I wanted to try it out on one of the dummies outside, regardless of my fear of fighting. Leaving the helmet, I started heading back. As I studied my new weapon, I somehow knew exactly what I needed to go, and I found my way out with ease. The sudden light from outside stunned me, and it took a minute for my eyes to adjust.

All of a sudden, I realized that my mother wasn't with me. Then, a shrill scream ripped through the air. It was Aphrodite’s. My immediate reaction was to run in the direction it came from, and turning the corner, I stopped short. My mother was lacerated along her left arm, her fighting arm. Her weapon was on the ground, and she was leaning against the weaponry’s wall. The golden blood of immortals dripped down her arm, making a small puddle on the ground. The one who had challenged her was none other than Hera, Goddess of Marriage and fertility. Hera held a dagger, but there was no glow of ambrosia. This weapon was meant to maim, not spar. Hera raised her arm for another strike, but I grabbed her wrist before she could.

Hera turned and freed her arm from my grasp with a sharp yank. She was about to speak when she saw my new weapon. “My weapon,” she muttered, shocked t seeing it in the hands of an underling. Then, yelling in fury, “Why do you have my special dagger, the one only I'm supposed to know how to get to? And those arm guards are mine as well. How did you find them?”

“I followed the pink glow, and the song,” I stammered out, “Why are you attacking Aphrodite?”

“She blocked my way, though I don’t know why, and what do you mean glow, and what song?” She began to sneer at me in pure disdain.

“It’s happening right now. Can’t you see it? Can’t you hear it?” I held the dagger out, and I noticed the glow had grown darker, to that of blood red. The song, too, had changed. It was darker, more formidable. The notes were the same, but they were terrifying, so much so that I almost dropped the weapon. Shakily, I drew the weapon back, and it returned to the way it was before. Hera could see the confusion on my face as I tried to contemplate it.

“What’s the matter? Is it not working for you now? Is it not singing and glowing for you anymore?” Triumph sounded in her voice as though she had already won the battle. She was trying to bait me into an attack.

“It’s still glowing,” I murmured. “It’s still singing, but it changed. It wasn't pure for a minute. It was like a dark curse had been placed on it.” As I spoke, I can up with a theory. I thrust out the weapon towards Hera, and it changed into the dark thing it was before. Then, I walked over to Aphrodite.

The blade actually changed into a pale pink blade in the shape of a peacock’s feather. It was truly singing now, with the words of the ancient Greek language. Within the song, whose words I could not understand, I thought I heard my name.

“You can heal her.” An unknown voice spoke to me through the song. I look around trying to figure out who it was, but there was no one else there besides me, Hera, and Aphrodite. “You can heal her,” the voice repeated. It echoed, and was femininely mystical, but it was familiar. Realization struck down hard against my head. In disbelief, I looked at my blade. Again, the voice repeated, “You can heal her.” The glow of the blade warped as the voice talked, confirming what I thought. The blade was alive, though only for me. Only I could hear it. Only I could understand it. Only I could see the power it possessed. “Cut your finger and let your blood drip into her wound. It will heal her.”

Hearing a weapon talk to me was astounding. Even though I was not sure yet if I could trust this mysterious voice, I decided to comply. Gently, I pressed the blade against my left index finger till I saw my golden blood begin to swell. Then, I held Aphrodite’s injured arm up as my blood dripped drop by drop into her wound. With each drop, her wound closed more and more until there wasn't even a scar. At the same time, my own finger healed. There was no cut anymore, not on either me or my mother. “Daughter," my mother said addressing me. "How did you know to do that? I’m not even sure if I could pull it off, and you finger shows no sign of damage. Not even Asclepius could do that. How did you do it?”

“I listened to the blade’s voice. It told me what to do, and I listened.” I watched as Aphrodite raised an eyebrow in surprise of this answer.

Hera, beyond furious, came up and slapped me. She also attempted to take the weapon from me, but when she touched it, she pulled back sharply as though it had burned her. “I don’t get it. How is it that you know the blade as though you’ve held it your entire existence, and yet you just now retrieved it? Why can I not even touch it now that it’s in your possession? Explain it to me.” Hera, not getting an answer immediately, grabbed her dagger and attacked.

Somehow, I knew to lift my arm at just the right time, allowing her strike to bounce harmlessly off my arm-guard. I quickly followed with a counter-attack that I intuitively knew. My blade slashed her hand as I twisted my foot and pulled her ankle from out underneath her. Hera was knocked off balance, and she fell. By now, you could feel the rage seeping through her. With lightning speed, she knocked my weapon out of my hand by kicking it. In my surprise, she had time to rise up and lift me off the ground by the front of my Greek robe that was the custom wear for all Olympians.

"You’re going down, Alexia," Hera growled in my ear. "You never should have messed with fate." As I withered helplessly in her grasp, I slowly lost all my senses, starting with my vision, then my hearing, quickly followed by touch smell, and taste. It felt like my body was being put to sleep little by little, and eventually, I knew nothing of what was happening as I plunged into a deep darkness.

Thoughts raced through my head, all of them because of what had just happened. What of my mother? Is she ok, or did Hera get her, too? Am I even ok? Am I still alive? Well, I know I’m alive; I’m immortal, but am I in an eternal limbo or something of the sort? What’s going to happen now?

I found myself staring into a space-less place with no end. It was a pure black, one impenetrable by even an immortal’s impeccable eye. Nothing existed within this place, not even myself. I was there, and yet, I was not. No sound penetrated the velvet silence. Time wandered aimlessly around me. I couldn't tell if a year, a minute, or even a century had passed. This truly was a limbo of some sort, lost from space and time, even existence.

Suddenly, I thought I heard voices. It sounded as they were arguing, but they weren't. It was something far off, indistinct, subtle. A glow began to emanate from no source, changing my surroundings at the same time. My vision was foggy, then clear, then foggy again. They went back and forth, giving me glimpses of where I was.

I saw one thing that stood out; my blade. Its aura had dulled, and it was but a simple blade once again. Its voice called out to me once again, but its voice sounded slurred and incoherent. “Wake, Daughter of Aphrodite, girl of prophecy.” Girl of prophecy? I wondered. Why that? What prophecy am I supposed to be a part of?

I began to stir, but I was hugged before I could get any higher than a half sit. “Don’t you dare do that again,” someone’s voice warned me. It was Aphrodite’s. Her amber hair fell across half her face as she pulled back. Her eyes flashed and changed color as I stared into them. They expressed her worry, relief, and rage. Two pale skinned hands gripping my arms firmly, showing her slender yet mildly muscular frame.

I was jolted fully back into reality as she shook me slightly, making sure I was really there. “Yes, I know. Can you let go of me now?” She let go, fully relieved, before turning towards something. I turned as well and immediately grabbed my side. I had apparently been thrown down since my right side had a splitting feeling. I was bruised, but not broken, thank goodness.

Athena and Hera were locked in battle. The voices I had heard before were not voices, but the clash of blades. Hera’s rage flashed through her golden eyes her brunette hair whipping around in the wind caused by the battle. Athena was determine, and in rage as well, but her gray eyes expressed it much different than Hera did. It was more determined, not reckless. She almost seemed protective.

Their movement were too fast to follow. Flashes of red and gold and silver streaked through the air. Whirlwinds blew around us as the battle intensified. I could not see what was happening, but the sounds stopped. As the dust settled, I finally saw the end result. Athena had Hera on the ground, the point of her sword pointed at her heart. Hera’s weapon was sticking out of the ground too far for her to reach. Several lacerations could be seen on both of them.

To my surprise, Athena sheathed her blade. “Get up,” she said, “and don’t let me see you do something like that again.” Hera rose, obviously denying her defeat. She glared at Athena before pulling her blade out of the ground and turning from her. “It’s over, Hera.”

“You’re right, it is over.” Hera took a few steps away from us before turning back to me. The disdain in her eyes sent shivers down my back. “For now.” Did I hear her right? Did she really just say ‘For now’? Finally, she left, still as cold and vicious as always. Athena turned towards me an eyed me carefully.

“You have a unique relation to that blade of yours. Guard it with your life, and never let it leave your side again.” I simply nodded and grabbed my blade. I felt power surge through me as my hand held tightly onto the handle of it. As Athena turned to leave, I turned towards Aphrodite, who was now back to normal.

“Let’s go. I think that will be good enough for today.” I nodded in agreement and allowed her to whisk us out of the training grounds in the same fashion that we had arrived.

To Be Continued… XD

- - - Updated - - -

THIS DOES NOT PERFECTLY FOLLOW GREEK MYTHOLOGY. PLEASE DO NOT POINT OUT FLAWS BASED ON THE ORIGINAL MYTHS. Thank you!

Elizabeth16
02-14-2014, 08:12 PM
It's interesting! I like the concept a lot. I'd love to see a bit more focus on detail and slowing down the plot a little, I feel it was a little rushed! But I would certainly read more and see how it continues!

Mystress of Shadows
02-14-2014, 08:31 PM
I'm actually working on slowing it down. I submitted this for my school writing contest and had to shorten it more than I originally wanted. I hate when there are always limitations. Anyway, I'll update it as soon as I get it to exactly where I want it. (This is also taken from the middle of my book, so I'll have to post the rest later. I won't add more to the plot of this part until I do.)

Elizabeth16
02-14-2014, 08:47 PM
Very cool! It would fun if you posted a paragraph or two for us every few days to keep reading! :)

Mystress of Shadows
02-14-2014, 09:10 PM
I can at the least manage that every three days. I have a lot of commitments in real life, so I will post what I already have little by little so I don't fall behind. I can't wait to read the reactions when it comes to a certain part. You will know when it comes. =D

Mystress of Shadows
02-15-2014, 12:06 PM
The OFFICIAL Chapter 1: The Forgotten Goddess

There is a tale that exists within the depths of knowledge, one so very few know or have even heard about. It belongs in Greek legends where the Gods and Goddesses of the Ancient World live in the Modern World of technology and advancement. This legend is about a certain Goddess by the name of Alexia.

She was born from a spirit and a goddess: Boreas and Aphrodite. Crafted from a drifting cloud capturing the last rays of sunlight, she was a natural beauty. Her pale complexion that excluded all blemishes and freckles was just right, like a baby’s skin when it is sleeping peacefully. Her full lips were of a darker shade of bubblegum pink, and her 20/20 vision eyes were the color of the sky before a storm. She was slender and tall. The sheen of her amber hair as the sun played across it would remind many of melted caramel. Its natural bounce and shoulder length style allowed it to move freely without losing its perfect style.

However, she was also extremely temperamental. Viciousness coursed through her veins, wilder than Boreas’ sharp Northern Winds. She was constantly a coiled spring waiting to be released from her ever growing tension. Like a mousetrap, the slightest thing would cause her to snap. Alexia became a minor Goddess of Fierce Emotions. She helped to vent the frustration or anger or sadness of someone who was discovering something not so pleasant. Although it only made her worse, she enjoyed that she was helping to prevent worldly chaos.

One day, all of that changed. Alexia’s memories had switched with those of an early twenty-first century teenager. She remembered having a caring father and a mother who had run out on them. She remembered meeting her two best friends whose names were Jill and Kate. Jill was hyperactive and tended to rant whenever she grew stressed. Kate was quiet and often found the bright side of life. She also believed that she had an entirely different personality. Her temper still flared even though she thought she knew how to control it, and the Greek Gods faded into an independent research project. The Ancient world had become a myth within her eyes.

She made Mt. Olympus dysfunctional when she grew confused and scared. This continued everyday for an entire week before anyone decided that it was time to do something. The person who took action was Alexia’s own mother, Aphrodite.

Aphrodite could only think of one way to end Alexia’s confusion and reign of havoc: switch her with the teenager who now contained the goddess’s true memories. They were switched in the middle of the night when not even the dust resting in the tiniest of corners stirred. The God of dreams, Morpheus, cast a sleeping spell upon both the teen and Alexia. The Gods then switched them using a whirlwind technique.

There was only one flaw with her plan. The teenager was calm and collected, unlike Alexia. This was quickly solved when a secretive God placed a magical shield around Alexia that caused her powers to become passive. The father of the teenager would be confused if a mysterious girl replaced his daughter in every way, so Aphrodite wrote him a letter that explained everything:

Dear Mr. Vergo,

I understand your daughter has been acting strangely, and now a female you have never seen before claims to be her. Your daughter is safe on Mt. Olympus and will not come to any danger as long as she is under my careful watch.

She went on to explain the situation and how it was of vital importance that her plan worked. She believed that if Alexia rested her mind for a set amount of time, she would be able to regain her memories. Mr. Vergo knew he would one day be faced with the same questions he was asking himself then. He only hoped that when that day came, he would know the answers.

I thought I would give you guys the sort of intro chapter into my book. Chapter 2 will come little by little, with a couple surprises! And so, the story begins.....

Mystress of Shadows
02-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Chapter 2: Part 1

It started out as any ordinary school-day. Alexia woke up at exactly 6 A.M., as usual. She then ate the regular bowl of Fruit Loops, saving the red ones for last. Afterwards, she put on the same dreary, gray uniform she always did and headed out to meet her two best friends, Jill and Kate. At school, things weren't any different in the 9th grade. The time flew by, and, as always, Alexia was bored waiting for the next assignment.

Every week day, Alexia and her friends would choose which of their houses they would study at. On this day, they chose to spend it at Alexia's. It was also the day of the big remembrance.

Alexia recognized the symptoms of when Jill was getting ready to rant. She could never stop it in time though.

“I swear. My father is so unfair. He destroyed my room and told me to pick it up. Me! Why can’t he pick up his own mess?”

Alexia began to vainly try to stop Jill’s rant.

“Jill?”

“I mean, seriously!”

“Jill!”

“Huh? Oh, what?”

“You’re ranting again.”

“Am not!”

“Are to!”

Thankfully, Alexia’s father came around the corner and addressed Alexia, “I need to speak with you.” Then he addressed Jill and Kate, “Hi girls, Alexia will be busy for the night. You’re more than welcome to come over tomorrow, though.”

Quickly, Jill and Kate exchanged curious looks but left without a fuss. While thoroughly studying his face, Alexia questioned with an edge of curiosity and suspicion, “Dad, what's going on? Did something happen while I was at school?”

“Please! Calm down,” ordered James so he could explain. ”I simply need to show you something important. Your mother left it for me a few years ago.” He gingerly pulled Aphrodite's letter out of a display box he had kept hidden under his bed. “Sit down before I hand this over.” Once she was sitting, he delicately handed her the letter.

Alexia's eyes widened and the color drained from her face as she read the letter. It was evidently her mother's handwriting. She didn’t know how she knew; she just did. It was as simple as that. Still, Alexia couldn't believe what she was reading. Was her mother really Aphrodite? Is she truly a goddess? Was it possible that she had so easily forgotten her life?

Not five minutes after Alexia finished studying the letter, she began to feel queer, as if some unknown creature began to stir inside of her. It was the cloak that had been controlling her temper being lifted. “This isn't a hoax, right? If it is, I'll be … Oh! Never mind. I know it’s not a hoax now.” She had finally had her memory returned. She remembered all the feelings she had to overcome, all the times she had been called out because of her temper, but there was something disturbing within all of those memories. She remembered seeing a shadowy figure loom over her before she couldn’t remember anything else.

The crash of shattering glass shook the dwelling. Instinctively, Alexia looked around herself in a panic and inquired, “What was that?” After she and her father crept across the room to the kitchen doorway, they cautiously peeked around the corner. The sight that met her eyes made her heart skip several beats.

“It's a fury! They’re not pleasant creatures to deal with,” Alexia exclaimed with much surprise. Unfortunately, the fury heard her. It whipped its head around and locked eyes with Alexia. While staring into the beady yellow eyes, she realized what was going to happen just before it did. The fury launched itself off the ground, latched itself onto Alexia’s shoulders, and dragged her through the shattered window.

Bionicllama
02-18-2014, 01:10 AM
This is good, but I am a knit picker. The one thing I have wrong with this is characterization. You don't give any explanation as to what your characters look like except for Alexia. Jill, the father, and even Aphrodite. You are leaving it all to imagination.

You do give us a good idea as to what their personalities are though. Characterization is the only thing I can really knit pick at. Another thing, where do they live? If I'm not mistaken you give no indication as to where she and her father live, not even if they live in the US or some other country.

Mystress of Shadows
02-18-2014, 03:19 AM
I guess I could work on that a little more. Aphrodite will be described later on, but I've never given much thought towards the minor characters. Thanks for the advice. =D

Mystress of Shadows
02-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Chapter 2: Part 2

After getting over the shock of what was happening, Alexia attempted to free herself with an arsenal of kicks, punches, and bites. She soon realized that she was no match against the strength of the fury, so she quit struggling as she was flown across the country.

During the three hours the journey took, Alexia saw big cities bustling with human life and small farms with fields of wheat, cotton, and corn. At one time, she saw a herd of wild horses galloping across the Nebraskan Plains, frolicking and oblivious. She even forgot about the fury clutching into her throbbing shoulder blades and collarbone.

Alexia saw stunning landmarks like the gigantic silver archway in St. Louis and the Grand Canyon in Arizona. She had never seen the canyon in person before. The sweeping rapids of the Colorado River were majestic and hypnotic as they carved away at the massive Canyon walls. The bright sun warmed her faced and made the water below seem to dance in its own glorious beauty. She knew that if she were further down, the roar of the river would be deafening, but from where she was, it was quiet and soothing like a small waterfall. It was just enough to allow her to drift into a peaceful sleep.

The sudden darkness from a cave awoke her. The fury continued to descend until it came to the doors of the underworld. These doors could not be the entrance to any where else. It would be impossible. The gruesome, rotting skeletons littered across the floor and the ominous clouds that lurked around the Gothic doors made her shudder. The energy of the belittling doors had the immense feeling of death, decay, sorrow, and mourning. The air around her thickened and grew colder, making Alexia shiver. Then, as she remembered the Greek myths she had taken to studying the past few years, her breath grew shallow and she shook fearfully as if that would stop the fury from taking her through those doors.

“Will you stop that? You’re making it hard to fly. Besides, it really isn’t all that bad in there!” The fury laughed an evil witch-like cackle that reminded Alexia of the Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz. The voice itself was creepy. It was scratchy and had a hint of hissing.

Only then did Alexia remember about Hades. She realized that she would soon be in his presence. The thought alone froze her stiff. If the doors were this horrible, what would he be like, the almighty Underworld overlord and powerful God.

Mystress of Shadows
02-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Chapter 2: Part 3

With her arms getting numb from the constant claws clutching to her shoulders, Alexia remained terrified as she passed through the dark and musty underworld immersed in the stench of rotting flesh. She was flown over the river Styx where the ferryman, Chiron, was taking another load of dead people across to the other side. Their decaying bodies glanced up at Alexia with much of their curiosity written on their faces. Many of them moaned and reached for her, as though they wanted her body for themselves.

Next, she saw Cerberus, the ferocious three-headed dog that guards the underworld. His skin rotted and fell off repeatedly, creating a disappearing pile of flea encrusted, rotten skin. He was about the size of the White House and had such bad breath that she could smell it from 1000 meters away. She nearly fainted when she was flown past him into the underworld.

The underworld. How could she describe it besides saying that it was nightmarishly forlorn? The ghosts from the past milled around lost in space. They were all contained in a single field that seemed as endless as a bottomless pit. As Alexia scanned the field, she could have sworn that she saw a monkey grooming a dazed dog.

To her right, a place where only the cruelest of souls deserved to go stood powerful and life draining. Alexia cowered with fright. The steam, the lava, the screams; oh the ear splitting screams. It was all of those horror movies with live torture twisted and bent into real life, only multiplied by infinity. Only a true diabolical fiend could possibly enjoy watching this freak show. Alexia cringed away with a muddy, tear streaked face as a charcoaled soul was dipped into a cauldron of boiling lava.

She never witnessed the paradise for those truly amazing deceased. The darkness of Hades’ Palace swallowed her whole before she could catch the glimpse she so desperately needed in order to keep herself together. Once inside the palace, Alexia began to see awful images within her horror stricken mind. It didn’t help when the fury dragging her along began her witch’s cackle again. On the verge of traumatization, Alexia began whimpering, moaning, and muttering complete nonsense. She was sweating profusely and had a far off look plastered on her face.

Mystress of Shadows
02-26-2014, 06:39 PM
Chapter 2: Part 4

A sudden stinging feeling sweeping across her cheek brought Alexia back to reality. With a sharp intake of breath, she instantly sat straight up. She let her eyes skim the room and noticed Lord Hades sitting atop his deathly throne looking quite amused at the scene before him. He was wearing a tattered cloak made of what seemed to be black fog. His face was a ghastly white and his crown rested lopsidedly on the right side of his head. Her instincts took over and she found herself kneeling to him. His laughter filled the den, sounding a lot like Death’s Calling. She could feel her blood draining from her face as she listened.

“Rise! I can’t have you being treated like you are my lesser. Take a seat.” Hades gestured to the seat nearest to him. It was made from the femurs of hellhounds that could not survive Hades’ keep. Alexia reluctantly rose and nervously settled herself on the edge of the demonic seat. As Hades began to talk, tentacles of black fog crept towards her and began to greedily wind itself around Alexia’s arm. Alexia didn’t notice it through her fear.
“I will get straight to the point,” Hades began, addressing Alexia. “I want you to be my wife for the five months that Persephone does not rule by my side. Do you accept?

- - - Updated - - -

What do you guys think so far?

Mystress of Shadows
03-04-2014, 03:04 AM
Chapter 2: Part 5

“I-I’m sorry, but … why?”

“You’re pretty and you’ve got spirit. You would prolong my boredom until Persephone returns.”

Alexia’s shock at what Hades had requested of her eliminated her bone-deep trauma and horror. Her pale face shifted to a shade of pink from embarrassment and anger. Unable to stand due to the black fog cord, she began to rant, each word seemingly tightening the cord.

“I refuse! How am I to survive in a place like this? In fact, my life was perfectly fine until your little bodyguard smashed its way into my household and dragged me here against my will. And then you have the nerve to propose to me! Just because you’re … a … a … Um, what’s that?”

She was distracted by a gold, shimmering light that had flashed behind Hades. Someone with dark blonde hair and a tall stature took its place shortly afterwards. Her eyes flashed many different colors as she glared at Hades. there was a sort of power around her as she stepped forward, her pale skin looking almost creepy in the surroundings. The dark fog instantly released Alexia upon the Goddess' arrival.

“Mother?”

Mystress of Shadows
03-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Chapter 2: Part 6
“Zeus awaits you," my mother told me. "I expect you now remember that he is the top God. Hades, you were told to stay away. There will be consequences if this happens again.”

Alexia thought she heard Hades growl at Aphrodite as she hurried over, excited to see her mother again and to leave the place that was sure to give her nightmares until the day she died. Aphrodite waited for Alexia to join her and then started up her whirlwind again. With a quick movement of the hand, both ladies had been caught inside of it. It was soothing and elegant. Alexia could feel the wind caress her face and tangling her volumized hair as they traveled across the US. When she glanced at her mother, Aphrodite’s eyes had softened and a small grin played across her lips. There was a moment’s hesitation before Alexia asked the question that was gnawing at her spirit the most.

“Mom, do you know why it is I lost my memory?”

“No. When it happened, you unfortunately caused a lot of problems. In order to prevent the imminent destruction that faced us, I had to swap you with the girl whose memories you had then contained. Do forgive me about that. I’m sorry if Hades pestered you too much. He is quite persistent.”

“Why does he truly want me as his wife?”

“That still remains unknown to the rest of the gods. Not even Persephone knows why. She’s just hopeful that you do accept. She hopes that if you do, then Hades might forget about her. Then she might be able to remain above ground for the entire year instead of for the five months.”

“But I didn't accept. Does that mean she’s lost hope?”

“Not yet. Even though you did refuse, she is always hoping that someone will come along that will accept Hades’ offer.”

“I don’t think that that will be happening anytime soon. The Underworld is a scary place for any mortal or immortal. I think I went insane once I entered his little palace. I’ll be having nightmare for months.”

“Artemis and I can help you get the dark poison from your body. The dark poison is a trauma that causes you to experience horrible dreams night after night until they get so intense that you die from fright. Very few people have been able to overcome it. They are usually the older, hardier folks. I don’t want to take a risk with you, so I’m going to get it extracted from you and destroyed. You will experience what you experienced in the Underworld, but you will not remember the horrors once the dark poison is gone from your body.”

This frightened Alexia again, but she replied with a weak, “Ok, I can live with that.”

“Glad to hear it. Meanwhile, we've reached our destination. Behold, Olympus.”

***END OF CHAPTER 2***

- - - Updated - - -

Chapter 3: Part 1
Olympus was her home, her only true home. She knew deep inside of her that there was no other place that she belonged to better. It gave her the fulfilling sense of belonging. Olympus was the place she had had dreams about when she had thought she was a ‘teenager’.

The whirlwind ended with one last gust of wind that blew Alexia’s shimmering hair back as though she was standing in the midst of a wind tunnel. She was blinded until her eyes adjusted to the brightly cheerful atmosphere of her home.

Alexia had thought that Aphrodite’s whirlwind was colorful, but she would never think that again. Olympus had every color an expert artist could possibly think of and more. There were shades of gold Alexia had never seen before, but they were more beautiful than any that she had seen.

The buildings consisted of ancient architecture, but they remained brand new even after tens of thousands of years. They were standing on a small ledge that stretched out to either side endlessly. Along this ledge, many more gods and goddesses were appearing using the same whirlwind technique Aphrodite had used. They were all dressed in similar robes, all different colors. Aphrodite wore pale pink with gold details.

When Alexia glanced down to see that she, too, was wearing one of those robes. Hers was the purple of the sunset clouds. She remembered how she was crafted from a drifting cloud capturing the last rays of the sunset, and this remembrance filled her with a subtle sense of glee.

Mystress of Shadows
03-12-2014, 11:36 PM
Hey. I've been busy, but here is something extra long to make up for it. This is as far as I have gotten on my book typing wise, not counting another part that I jumped forward to for my school contest. That will be changed to third person soon enough, and I've done more on that so it is the entire chapter 4. I will update that soon, then change it to third person. Please give me your thoughts on it so far.

dragon
03-24-2014, 05:27 PM
the imagery is FANTASTIC!
where can i learn to write like that?
how experienced a writer are you?

Mystress of Shadows
03-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Um, this is my first book. I've done a lot of editing to the original rough draft, even changing the storyline once.

dragon
03-24-2014, 05:59 PM
i still love it!
keep working at it!
Are you familiar with the tribune (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36209)?
I write for it too, you should join us!

Mystress of Shadows
03-24-2014, 08:45 PM
You really think I'm good enough for that?! O.O

dragon
03-31-2014, 02:06 PM
yes i do!