PDA

View Full Version : {M} Lunacy C-9 OOC (Sci-fi Survival Horror)

Teknopathetic
02-25-2014, 06:56 AM
This roleplay is rated M for mature content, including but not limited to: Excessive violence, gore, language, and unsettling themes/situations. This thread is a work in progress. All content is subject to change at any time.

http://s17.postimg.org/gvn8jitil/Burn_by_Bukarus.png
"You are but a s̔̽p͉̙ͯ̉͌ē̺͔̙͍͆̅ͅc̓̂ͥ̇͏ķ͓̲̝͒̾ͦ.̶̥ An infinitesimal waste of cosmic dust pressed into a humanoid figure and given breath, e͈̯̫̱̯̼ͤ͆x̛̝̗͕̖̞̙ͬͨ̓̅͌ṗ̘̲͑ͥẹ̟͍͈̗͛͢l̊͗̅͂͏l̓̋ͤ̉ͭ҉e ̥͙̙̟̲d͙̈̊̈́̃ͩͥ into a world you cannot begin to fathom, and left to toil until your fleshy shell decays into the dust from which you came...
Yet even the most insignificant of spanners can stop the works of a w͍̲ͬ̋̉̇e̷̟̖̦̳̣̓̈̍l҉̻͈̲͈͓̯l̳͑ͩ̉͂͆̿͌-̩̰͖ͦ̈̍o̵̟̫̱̘̳íͮ̈̏ͤ́̈҉͇l̥̜̮̽̅ͪͥ̓ē̢͊ḍ͍̭̈́̔͒́̈̍ ̤ ̙̜͈̬̺̫ͯ̿̒ṃ̵͓̳̮̪̘̇͗ͦ̚ͅa̗̼͇̫͉ͥ́ċͩ̾̐̕h͑ͫi͉̫̻̾̄ͥn̊̀̾ ͕̬̘̭̯̹̌͘e̘̺̜̜̲ͨ̉̅̄ͭ͜.͔͕͈̗̣̺̉"

-I0-N4, 159th termination cycle

No one on Station C-9 truly knows who they are, let alone why they inhabit the unsettling pristine white corridors of their home. Perhaps they float through the cosmos on a collision course with the sun or even on the surface of a lush jungle planet uninhabitable by humans, yet no amount of external horrors could possibly hope to dissuade them from one unified goal: escape. It did not take the strongest of thinkers to realize that being trapped inside a sealed research station with only a half-dozen living creatures still clinging to their sanity and an exponentially-growing number of soulless husks is the fast track to a messy, horrific end.

Death, however, does not qualify as escape. It lurks, and it controls the quick-cloning process in the station; at best, they might find a way to overpower the machine just to have a chance to die without waking up in a puddle of gore in a maintenance closet, body warped and mind full of memories belonging to their past selves.

This is not a story of the triumph of the human spirit.
This is not a story of the evils of automation.
This is not a story of the good of man.

This is a story of hatred and survival.

What is this story about?

Simple: You are a survivor. Roughly a half-dozen humans are trapped in a complex of uncertain make and locale in the distant future where technology is king and the woes of the past have been replaced with a much more pressing and terrifying reality. Fresh out of a brain scrubber, your crew must determine where they are and why they are trapped in the complex before deciding exactly how they are to survive in the long term. In the short term, they fear death only for the fact that their bodies will be replaced with new ones, with different strengths, weaknesses, and potential mutations. At first, you will likely want to carefully peruse the station and continue whatever jobs have been assigned to you, but as time wears on...

Beyond that, the plot is not set in stone. Overcoming the overseer of the complex will not be a straightforward task and there are many paths to stumble down. Perhaps the story will delve into the tenacity of the human spirit, the confusing matches made during a crisis, or even the horrors of mortals pushed to the point of performing unthinkable acts to secure their future.

That, of course, is up to you.

Rules and Guidelines

Dyssomnia will be my co-GM for this roleplay. Assume all communication from my co-GM to be just as important and accurate as anything I would tell you.
Character slots are fairly limited. Unless a lot of very interesting people come pouring in, expect no more than five characters at any one time.
There is no true OOC guidance. I will clarify confusing posts as necessary, but do not expect to ask for clarification on presented plot elements or story themes until the story is concluded.
There are no character sheets, per se. Each character will be randomly generated by the AI at the time of their rebirth, based on parameters you suggest; all you have hard and fast control over is their gender, for convenience's sake.
After a character death, your character retains all their memories but may not be able to act on those memories - lacking a current understanding of rocket science makes building a rocket from memory an extremely unlikely occurrence.
Posting format will be third-person novel-style by default. This might change if the AI requests it. ("I0-N4 is only accepting queries in the format of a 1980s text parser from an adventure game," for example.)
There will be stretches of character isolation in which posts flip between your character and the GM (hey, that's me!) not unlike your own personal Choose Your Own Adventure book. This will be handy should other players be slow to post, but isolation will not make up the bulk of the roleplay without some very bizarre decisions.
All OOC queries of the AI will be answered as if the AI were actually responding, and thus might make little sense or be full of misinformation. Inquire at your own risk.
Be willing to die. Death will not be uncommon. This is a horror story and your character will come back shortly, so don't worry about being ejected from a roleplay due to death without due cause.
If a story element unsettles you on a personal level, please let me know via PMs and I will do my best to avoid offending you in such a way in the future.
Play your randomly-generated body to the best of your ability and don't be afraid to embellish beyond the basics given to you. Describe appearance, quirks, and mannerisms to your heart's content.
This list is subject to change.

How do I apply to play?

There are no hard and fast requirements, aside from having a strong grasp on the English language and a sense of imagination that allows for outside-the-box thinking. For the sake of better showing off your work to your teammates-to-be, it would be best if you posted a forum link to other roleplays you have participated in so I might be able to accurately gauge your level of experience. If you haven't participated in any roleplays - much like myself, hypocrisy in full effect - I can offer up a writing prompt to take a stab at, or simply stick around and speak with others in the thread for a short while.

Once you have been cleared to join, input a query to the AI in the following format:

I0-N4,
I am [chosen gender] and I hope that I am [desired traits or character type you wish to play.]

What am I?

You will be given a small chunk of text detailing the bare essentials of your character, including nation of origin, body type, skills, advantages or disadvantages, and any glaringly obvious mutations your character possesses. From there, please write up a short (a few paragraphs maximum) description of your character proper.
You do not have to include non-physical elements if you elect not to; I would expect an in-depth idea of what they look like, but not their sexuality or favorite flavor of ice cream.

Other helpful information to consider

Somewhere in space, things are very, very wrong.

Header image by DeviantART artist Bukarus.

Paranoia
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Dead Space
I, Robot
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

Anastasia
02-25-2014, 04:10 PM
Hello there! It looks like you're off to a fantastic start. Here are some helpful links to get you started!

Roleplaying Games Directory (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40645&p=1318649&viewfull=1#post1318649) – New Roleplay? Add it to our Directory!

Staff Sigs (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3975) – Get your RP featured in our Staff Signatures.

Roleplay of the Week (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=905) – Think your RP could have what it takes to become Role Play of the Week? Enter here!

Roleplay of the Week Banner Shop (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18912) – Get a banner made for your RP to further your quest for RP of the Week.

The RPA Tribune (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18026) – Why not let all of RPA read about your RP in the RPA Tribune!

As always if you have any questions, feel free to let us know!

Dyssomnia
02-26-2014, 12:04 AM
Greetings Potential Candidates!

This is just a heads up that I am Co-GMing for this little trip through insanity! Of course, I can't tell you anything that the Tekno wouldn't but everything else is fair game.

...Well, almost anything else.

Epostle
02-26-2014, 03:04 AM
This looks well thought out... expect a sheet eventually.

Teknopathetic
02-26-2014, 04:52 AM
I feel obligated to state that Dyssomnia is, in fact, my co-GM and not simply a homeless person with too much free time. Welcome to the thread.

This looks well thought out... expect a sheet eventually.

I look forward to it. Are my request-to-join instructions clear enough? (No one else has shown interest, so I cannot accurately fathom anyone's ease of deciphering my babbling.)

Sickly
02-26-2014, 03:55 PM
I0-N4,
I'm a little bit afraid of what your answer might be but will I be allowed to join this endeavor?

Teknopathetic
02-27-2014, 04:05 AM
I0-N4,
I'm a little bit afraid of what your answer might be but will I be allowed to join this endeavor?

(This response is OOC - just so you know!)
Hello! Before we dive into the tricky world of getting a manipulative AI to turn over information on your character's body, I would like to request a sample of your writing. It can be a short story, a writing prompt, a previous roleplay in which you contributed -- anything counts! After I've glanced over that, I'll let you know if you can join this mess.

Of course, if you don't have any references on-hand, I can provide a writing prompt for you to stab at (likely related to the setting) or you can simply stick around for a while and strike up conversation so I can gauge your temperament and writing abilities. It's up to you!

Sickly
02-27-2014, 09:26 PM
Provide.

Teknopathetic
02-28-2014, 12:17 AM
Provide.

Fantastic! Let us see, how about we turn this writing prompt into a double-whammy and try to get a little backstory into this mess?

For this writing prompt, I will request that you write a (very) short story about a lab technician who has been working very intensely on an AI program that has been met with limited success, perhaps in the form of a research journal; halfway through the project, there is a violent incident that ends in the death of several other (not him/herself) research assistants.

Specifics are wholly up to you, aside from that! If you hate journal-style stories, that's fine. I can also provide a wholly different prompt if this one does not appeal to you. Send me a PM when you're finished and if it's a particularly striking piece I'll add it to the backstory section of the OOC post. (If you want me to, of course.)
Much luck!

Sickly
02-28-2014, 01:29 AM
Hm, I'd rather approach it from a third person perspective if you don't mind.

Teknopathetic
02-28-2014, 03:35 AM
Hm, I'd rather approach it from a third person perspective if you don't mind.

By all means! The choice is yours.

Sickly
02-28-2014, 02:22 PM
I would have been able to provide an example of my work had I not had a moderator delete everything I created over the past four years. Anyways I'll get to the library and punch out that story for you.

Teknopathetic
03-01-2014, 12:51 AM
Anyways I'll get to the library and punch out that story for you.

No rush, no rush. Recruiting for this sort of endeavor is slow and steady.
Or in my case, just slow.

Sickly
03-01-2014, 05:51 AM
I know the feeling

Teknopathetic
03-04-2014, 01:20 AM
It's been several days since any communication from myself, so I wanted to let currently interested and curious parties know that initial story branches have been (very loosely) plotted out and the roleplay is fit to start at any time, once any proper number of roleplaying applicants apply to dive in.

I have received posts of interest but nothing further. If you find the premise interesting, dive in!

Addendum, 3/8/14: Interest has waned. Roleplay has been cancelled and moved elsewhere, pending future re-invigoration of interest. Thank you for your time.