PDA

View Full Version : [Novel] Kill Field

Blazing Falcons
03-08-2014, 06:20 AM
Rated M for blood, language, violence, and possibly gore. Will slowly be updating chapters, starting with the prologue. looking for constructive critiscism. It's pretty choppy right now, I know, but I'd rather not lose this work I've done right now. I'll come back and what needs fixing. till then, enjoy.

2776: Humanity is now a space faring empire thanks to Russian scientists creating a wormhole generator in 2713. Humanity was quick to find an ally, the Skrata; an avian empire. however; humanities new alliance with the Skrata is not all it seems, as they (the Skrata) allied with the new species in hopes of preventing themselves from being enslaved to a reptilian empire: The Vrika. seeing that humanity was new to galactic affairs, they (the Vrika) left them alone for a time. but as soon as humanity helped win a semi-major battle for the Skrata, weapons began to turn in all directions.

PROLOGUE

Brenner's ears were ringing. His vision was groggy, and if not for the lack of a HUD (Heads up display), He'd have never known his helmet was missing. He was completely numb, but he knew he was being dragged. Gunfire still erupted all around him---The battle was still raging. He tried to pull away from the slaver that was dragging him, only to have the eight foot tall creature spin around and smashed its clawed, three-toed foot on his face. Now he was disoriented and had a broken nose.

Then a hail of bullets and energy flew over him, followed by the distinctive sound of flesh being torn to pieces. One word cut through all the ringing--- "Sarge!" A few seconds later Brenner was stumbling around on his feet, supported by two of his three squad members. "You're going to be alright sarge, stay awake just a little longer!" Fureth yelled. Fureth was an odd one to both humans and skrata, before joining the Imperial Guard he studied ancient warfare in Russia and Texas, resulting in an alien that could speak Skrata, English, and Russian in a weak Texas accent (which he taught himself). "Shit, he aint looking too good, we need to get 'im back to the trenches now!" Wyatt said, who seemed to be struggling to keep up with Fureth's pace. Wyatt Hatfield was the team's support gunner, he was the oldest member of the team besides Brenner at twenty nine, born and raised in Alaska, Brenner knew he could count on the man to lay down fire effectively at nearly any reasonable range, and proving it by shooting his Howling Dog back at possible pursuers every few steps. Behind them was the team's medic, Nikolai Ryabov, who was taking shots at any hostiles that pointed a weapon in the squad's direction. Though he was the youngest member of the team, he made up for lack of combat experience with the knowledge of how to patch a human body quickly and effectively on the battlefield.

Brenner was glad to have those men on his team in dire situations, but at other times he couldn't stand Fureth and Nikolai who were always butting heads or making jokes at the wrong time. This wasn't one of those times. The right side of his body sagged a little, indicating that they had made it to the trenches and Fureth had jumped down to ease Brenner's descent. A storm was brewing a few miles north of the battlefield, before moving into the trenches the defending forces had been notified that the storm would likely be dry-lightning. Though the storm was miles away, the thunder could overpower the sound of the battle every now and then, like when the squad arrived in the forward hospital and one medic saw Brenner. "What the hell are you guys bringing him here for? There's no f-" Brenner didn't hear the rest over a wave of thunder.

"Well then where do we take him?" Nikolai asked. "Take a jeep, go to the Rift city center, there's a field hospital there, so long as we can hold the line here he'll be better in a day provided those white-coated asses didn't use all the good stuff on a civilian with a shot in the arm." The medic said. "Sorry sarge," Fureth said before lifting him up over his shoulder and jogging out of the small hospital and running towards the vehicle bay with the rest of the squad following

From being shocked by a Vrikan slaver spear, Having a broken nose, and being thrown around by Fureth, the pain was too much, and Brenner passed out.

CHAPTER ONE

[Velka: Outermost Vrika colony]
Kerrana was carrying drinks throughout the Vrikan bar. She'd only been out of the conditioning pens a week and, while at first still rebellious, had quickly learned her place--- That the Vrika were her masters and she was their servant. She was shorter than most Skrata, standing at six feet, two inches; six inches shorter than the majority of her race.

The door slid open and four soldiers walked in, Captain Ruk'tal and three others that Kerrana didn't know. She quickly finished handing out the other drinks and rushed over to Ruk'tal, who was usually in a bad mood, and showed it through his actions toward slaves. He grabbed Kerrana by the throat with his right hand, stood up, and proceeded to lift her off the floor. "I don't enjoy waiting, slave." He hissed, and dragged the back of one of his claws against her beak and under her left eye. "Perhaps you should learn that I am of higher rank and importance than the other patrons here. You serve me when I am present." He continued, before beginning to choke her until she made an odd squeaking sound. He released his grip and watched her collapse to her knees, begin breathing heavily, and coughing. She looked up to see Ruk'tal wearing an evil grin. "At least you know something of your true place, not showing the slightest bit of conscious resistance. I'll have to commend your trainer. You even know to stay on your knees..." He chuckled, beginning to prod her with his foot to make her get up.

When nobody was in within earshot, Ruk'tal began, "She's obedient enough, but I think she knew even before my lesson that I was to be served first. So she also has just enough spirit left in her... I think she could be used for something more..." "I think so too, you see the look she gave you when she was getting up?" A commando named Reth asked. "No, what was it like?" Ruk'tal asked. "Well, I'll put it plainly; it's a good think she wasn't a soldier. She would have ruined your day. But then, you would've ruined a couple of months for her." Reth answered, grinning. Is that so..? There could indeed be a place for her... Ruk'tal thought.

CHAPTER 2

"Brenner, Ryan C." A voice said. The light was blinding when Brenner first awoke, it was morning, and though a few gunshots were heard, they were isolated. "What?" Brenner asked, blinking rapidly. "Your name is Ryan C. Brenner, is that correct?" The doctor said, slightly irritated. "Yeah... How long?" Brenner said. "Excuse me- Oh, one night is all." The doctor said before walking away, seemingly intending to be rude. "Sarge, need you on your feet, command wants us out of here ASAP." Wyatt said, throwing Brenner a helmet and setting a rifle by his cot. Brenner felt his nose, it was fixed. He put his helmet on and swung himself out of the cot. Checking the rifle's magazine, he stepped out of the collection of tents and into the cool morning air where his squad was waiting next to truck that was long past due for repairs, but with the war going on, lots of army vehicles were like that.

[Picket Fence: Navy cruiser]

The cargo hold was hot and cramped, but all other ships were filled with fighter craft to help repel assaults. "Gentlemen, I know you may be wondering why you're all up here, and not down defending Rift. You're all being sent to various planets for peacekeeping purposes, there are reports of small Vrikan craft appearing as far as Cryptum. We fear that they may have spies and special forces squads on planet. Your platoon leaders will be given the planets your being dispatched to. Adolphus out." General Adolphus said proudly. "Echo-one-sierra report to the bridge." Adolphus said over Brenner's com unit. "We're on our way sir, out." Brenner said. "Squad, to the bridge now." He ordered.

After a few minutes the squad arrived to an empty bridge save the presence of General Adolphus. "Gentlemen. I've found your squad quite interesting, and you know full well why. You are one of the few squads that has a non-human in its ranks. Those Skrata aren't very outgoing folks are they?" Adolphus said, grinning slightly. "That's beside the point, all the 'mixed' squads are going to Cryptum, not just for security, but also for diplomatic reasons, both Humanity and the Skrata aren't completely trusting of each other, so with humans at the Skrata homeworld---They'll come around to trust us more." "Permission to speak freely sir." Brenner said. "Granted," "Is there a specific area of both populations that don't trust the other species?" Brenner asked. "Yes, mostly civilians, over ninety percent. Hope you won't mind cameras following you around. Dismissed." Adolphus answered. As the squad stepped back onto the lift Fureth thought he heard Adolphus whisper, "Eighty fuckin' years."

CHAPTER 3

[Cryptum: Patrolling around Temple: July 17th 2776 15:49]

"Those camera drones still recording?" Brenner asked. "No, thank God, it's too hot out here for any more of that." Nikolai answered. "We're in the middle of a cold snap." Fureth stated. "Are you serious!?" Wyatt shouted. "No, gods no, nothing could survive here if things were that hot!" Fureth laughed. "Well, at least there's some eye-candy around here..." Nikolai said. "What are you talking about?" Wyatt and Brenner asked in unison. Nikolai couldn't find words to save himself and stated the truth, "Alright, I'm into Skrata women." Brenner stared at him a moment, then said, "Whatever man, it's too hot for me to care."

Blazing Falcons
03-10-2014, 04:01 AM
Added some of chapter one, not done with it yet.

Blazing Falcons
05-24-2014, 04:52 AM
Going to revise chapter two, wasn't exactly awake when I typed it out.

Blazing Falcons
07-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Began chapter three, look at what we've learned about Nikolai.