PDA

View Full Version : [M] Breakers (OOC)

4:07
03-30-2014, 05:00 AM
Rated Mature for adult themes including but not limited to violence, blood, coarse language, sensual situations and drug use.

http://i.imgur.com/a2VJtfs.jpg

“rly w@ c%d go wrng? #breakoutstumptown2014.”

Spring break! You and your friends barely get past plodding through another winter in Portland when you hear about a friend's boss flying to Bali. Just when you feel like wringing your hands at Fate, they tell you about the beach house on Tenmile Lake (https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&num=100&q=tenmile+lake+oregon&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=BTwwU8bPC4WO4ATw7YCoCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ). Yours for a relaxing week on the dunes (http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/siuslaw/recreation/recarea/?recid=42465).

Only you get more than you could ask for. Or would. Seriously.

Please join my roleplay. :pray: Getting in's easy if you stick to the rules. Warning: this is a lot darker than the pitch makes out. Think Gantz and the zombie manga I Am A Hero.

Name:
Birthdate:
Hometown:
Appearance:
Bio:
Hobbies:
Superpower:
- Major:
- Minor:
Anything Else:

1. Relax. Have fun making your character.
2. Your character should be an ordinary person between 18 to 24 years old.

This takes place 2014 in the Here and Now. You can play as yourself as long as you weren't conceived by aliens, a product of a secret government project, or raised by an ancient conspiracy. “Ordinary” shouldn't read “bland”; just avoid someone with a built-in advantage (like a power base or authority). Get creative.

- One character per player.
- No criminals, antisocial types, or politicians.
- No law enforcement or military.
- No billionaire playboy industrialists.3. Make one superpower with well-defined uses and limits.

Early on your characters will gain super powers. The powers share a common origin and behave as if they draw from an external power source (they get exhausted until rested) but will grow stronger depending on events in the story. Make a super power that involves manipulating a specific aspect of the physical world, e.g., an element such as fire or air, or an ambient form of energy like light or so-called psychic energies.

This involves a type of attack; manipulating something in the environment (including making a barrier to deflect attacks); a form of movement; or a temporary boost to physical abilities (including any sense that extends over longer distances than normal human ones). This power can have uses from more than one category if they fit a common theme, like controlling gravity.

This power is always tiring to use: at the very least you will need minutes to catch your breath in between fights, with the risk of wearing yourself out for the next few hours. The more spectacular the feat, the more exhausting and the shorter its effects last.

No one's immune to another character's powers, including those that share their theme. Although, with preparation, any power's effects can be resisted; this is like using your Major Power, and thus tiring.A special sense like seeing in the dark, or immunity to or minor manipulation of your thematic element or energy, such as immunity to normal flames or hiding in shadows. These are either always on or not tiring at all to use.Every character also gains a set of common abilities, two of which will be unlocked immediately:

You gain the attributes of an Olympic-level athlete with the physical (but not necessarily unsubtle) changes to fit. You see and hear better than average (like a skilled hunter or survivalist).

Everyone's raised to a common baseline: someone 95 pounds gains more than a trained athlete, and someone stronger than the base scores worse in other areas. Your baseline attributes grow as you level: all of you will be supermen; although true super-strength and super-speed count as tiring Major Powers initially. Mental attributes remain unchanged to start but also scale eventually.You heal in a matter of hours injuries that debilitate normal humans for weeks, like gunshots. You need rest to trigger this ability: you can still die instantly from mortal injury and can still get sick or poisoned. You can't have a healing factor like Wolverine's as a power, but you can take healing (laying on hands) as a tiring Major Power if it fits your theme.You play newly-empowered superhumans to start, with power levels to match. You level-up eventually but no one's stronger than another character at their level. I will turn down powers incompatible with the setting or an even playing field including but not limited to:

- Invulnerability, Immortality, and Resurrection.
- Control over “universal” forces that mimic a host of abilities (no Green Lanterns or Petrelli kids).
- “Bathroom mentalists” or the Doctor Strange wannabe with a god's eye view of events from their hideout manipulating them from safety.
- Creating duplicates and summoning entities from another dimension (no one-person armies).
- Teleportation over long distances (more than half a mile).
- Reality and Time Control. ;omg;4. Just the essentials. Spell check.

Bio - 1-2 paragraphs about what your character does for a living, what they'd rather be doing if they had a choice, why they had their Roleplay Adventures sig tattooed on their forehead, and the people important to them. Note: NPCs are under GM control, including the ones you name.

Hobbies - Any special skills? Tell how they got them and list anything relevant they've packed for the trip. Be realistic; for example, firearms must be registered in Oregon or a neighboring state and can't be worn concealed.

Anything Else - Anything about them that stands out? Or they need to keep secret? The last embarassing thing they did on spring break?
1. Relax. Have fun!
2. Respect the RPA Rules.
2A. Respect other players.
2A+++. The GM is a reasonable person (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g2dkDh4ov4). But my word is law.
3. Write the attempt, not the result.

This roleplay involves a particular style of game mastering and writing posts. It takes getting used to for some players, so be warned.

NO - Player describes his/her character's attempted action and gives the result.

P: Benny shoots at the alien and hits it right between the eyes.

YES - Player describes the attempt. GM gives the result.

P: Benny shoots at the alien.

GM: Benny hits the alien right between the eyes then notices the doomsday weapon flash “ENTER ABORT CODE” right before the girl of his dreams comes in and cries “DAD!” ...

Always remember this is a realistic setting. Actions have consequences and occur in real-time.4. Post at least once every 48 hours.
4A. Posts written in third person, past tense. Spell check.
5. RELAX. HAVE FUN!
Please don't mind the lack of backstory. That is deliberate: it's very important you retain the freedom of not having to answer to people like your selves. (Those who have super powers). All lore typically does is establish a hierarchy and a reason for conflict. This story doesn't need someone giving orders or even doing exposition.

Preach
03-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Hello :D! If you'd like to advertise and/or show off your RP to the site, be sure to check out these links:

Posting around and advertising would bring more attention to your game and hopefully lead others to join! I know I'd join this if I had the time, I'm intrigued as to where it will go...

Roleplaying Games Directory (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40645&p=1318649&viewfull=1#post1318649) – Add your RP to the directory!
Staff Sigs (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3975) – Have the staff advertise your RP in their signatures!
Roleplay of the Week (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=905) – Enter your RP in "Roleplay of the Week" to show it off to the site!
Roleply of the Week Banner Shop (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18912) – Get a cool banner made for your RP (to advertise the RP to the site.)
The RPA Tribune (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18026) – Get your RP featured in the RPA News!

03-31-2014, 11:00 AM
It's worth keeping a secret, I tell ya. Bump! :pray:

04-01-2014, 01:02 AM
Someone was asking the obvious question. :SHINY:

Please don't mind the lack of backstory. That is deliberate: it's very important you retain the freedom of not having to answer to people like your selves. (Those who have super powers). All lore typically does is establish a hierarchy and a reason for conflict. This story doesn't need someone giving orders or even doing exposition.

04-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Bump!

04-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Bump!

04-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Bump!

Fleija Croze
04-05-2014, 03:25 PM
A plot establishes some conflict and story, true...

But without a plot, there would be no motivation coming from RPers.

Do they live their regular lives with their powers?

Do you want players to create their own plots? If so, it'd make no sense that one character knew more than the other. There's also the implication that characters would have to meet 'coincidentally' and greet each other with violence because of unknown reasons just to get going.

I understand that the plot is something like the Sims with superpowers, but no plot means a sandbox without an official end. Without an end, RPing would lead to nowhere and players would leave because they have no motivation other than 'Commit atrocities with supernatural powers for no real reason'.

04-05-2014, 07:03 PM
There is organization here. You begin as a group of friends on spring break, so you know each other from the start. You begin as ordinary individuals like you and myself at least until you gain your paranormal abilities. From that point it's like being at ground zero of the zombie apocalypse or some other shared event: you cannot help but learn things, not from exposition, but from simple observation. It wouldn't be a question of one character arbitrarily knowing more (or less) than the others, it comes down to teasing out information from your circumstances through means available to any thinking person. If that results in your characters deducing varying conclusions nevertheless, well then that is part of what makes roleplaying interesting.

I can't say with certainty what your characters would do at that point, which explains the brevity of the pitch. This is however set in the real world, so a lore write-up is superfluous. Fidelity? You notice one of the links points to Google maps. We will use that.

Motivation: what you have described in your last two paragraphs is the plot for the generic superhuman outbreak story. Think of this as the deconstruction. Your points are exactly the ones I've tried to address. What I've done is try to avoid things happening arbitrarily.

Unless a player's completely disinterested you will have forewarning every single time and again this will come from simple observation and deduction. Yes there will be a body count but maybe not from the source you have in mind. Human beings aren't the only things that can be cold and impersonal and I don't mean inhuman monsters. Believe me when I say you won't approach confrontation lightly. This has shades of grey in spades.