PDA

View Full Version : Uglies

Taylor
08-08-2010, 07:42 PM
**BASED ON THE NOVEL UGLIES BY SCOTT WESTERFIELD**
Takes place on Earth but in the future, in this futuristic society at 16 everyone must have an operation to make them pretty, taking away every imperfection in their body, giving them new skin, face and body shape, stronger bones, and flawless beauty. 'Uglies' as they are called, dream of the day they can have their pretty operation and live in the glamorous New Pretty Town, they spend hours in their uglies dorms (they do not live with their parents after 12) designing what they want for their faces. Tally Youngblood, like most, can’t wait to get the operation and join her best friend Peris in New Pretty Town. But just before she turned pretty she met Shay an ugly who threw her into a world of excitment, including hoverboarding and escaping the city to the rusty ruins (which are meant to be ruins of our current cities). Shay had a lot of different views on the operation than most, including Tally, Shay wasn’t sure whether she wanted to turn pretty. She had met someone who lived in the wild, outside of their little “bubble” in the city, unlike anybody else, David was ugly for life. Each time Shay and Tally would travel out into the ruins Shay would send out a signal for David in hopes that she could escape to be with him in his city out in the wild. In the week before her birthday, Shay ran away to be in the smoke, the city built by Davids parents after they discovered the secret of the pretty operation. Shay left Tally instructions to the smoke in hopes that she would join her but Tally was interrogated by Specials (like the “secret services” for the city) on the day of her operation. They threatened that she couldn’t turn pretty until she found Shay and the smoke and helped the specials to destroy the city. Now she had to find Shay with the scrawled-out directions left for her, will she betray her friends and activate the tracker given to her by the specials?. We are going to have 2 groups in this roleplay to open up more roles. The first will be the smokies living in smoke and the second will be uglies before their operation who are debating whether to escape to smoke. Hopefully we can stay organized and not mix the two groups until people start heading to the smoke.

Technology:
Interface ring - how the city tracks you at all times it also lets you control your life, you can ask for food, it can open doors etc.
Interface bracelet - used on 'tricky' uglies and pretties, this cannot be taken off to the city can track you at all times
Bungee jacket - allows you to jump off a building or any other high place without getting hurt it uses magnetic lifters like the hoverboards
Water purifiers
Hoverboards (very important) require a metal grid to fly so the smokies are building one
Self heating meals
Everything else is handmade by the smokies which is a huge contrast to Tally's futuristic city

Slang:
new pretties use suffixes at the end of everyones name if your name has an L in it you use wa at the end ex. Tally-wa
if your name has no L you use la the the end ex. Shay-la
Bubbly - means exciting or fun
Bogus - means bad or broken
Fashion missing - means out of fashion of uncool

Characters:
Tally Youngblood: The main protagonist of the series. Tally has to choose between betraying her friend (Shay) and becoming a "pretty" or staying ugly forever. Tally is a teenage girl who isn't sure what she wants, and her indecision ends up destroying her life and turns her world upside down. Tally is described as an ordinary looking girl that is one of the "tricky" uglies, who consistently gate-crash Pretty parties and plays practical jokes to get attention, which arouses Dr. Cable's attention...

Shay: One of Tally's best friends. Shay runs away to The Smoke. Shay is described as rebelious and she just wants to go to the Smoke because it's not the Status Quo.

David: Tally's boyfriend who has lived his whole life in the wild (as one of the Smokies). Innocent, with a crooked smile.

Maddy: David's mother, and was once a surgeon for turning Uglies into Pretties, along with her husband, Az. More open than her husband, but still wary of all outsiders, including Tally.

Az: David's father, and was once a surgeon for turning Uglies into Pretties. Care-worn and suspicious, as well as being extremely intelligent. Pretty much founded the Smoke, along with his wife.

Peris: Tally's best friend before he became a Pretty. Peris is described as a dardevil and happy-go-lucky before he becomes a pretty, at which point he is empty-headed and indifferent to all he considers "inferior" including all uglies.

Dr. Cable: Head, or leader, of the Specials of Special Circumstances. Described as coldly beautiful, with hawk-like features and a pesonality to match.

Croy: One of the main smokies, good friends with David and becomes close with Shay and Tally as well

Life Stages:
Littlies - from birth to age 11 children lived with their middle pretty parents in the suburbs
Uglies - At age 12 children leave their parents home and move into uglies dorms and live with people their own age, they are monitored throughout this period
New pretties - at the age of 16 uglies have a surgery to become new pretties, on top of the surgery to make them flawlessly beautiful they also receive a brain surgery (the lesions) to make them compliant and frankly stupid this was developed to end wars (no one who is not a surgeon or a special knows about these)
Middle Pretties - after a few years the effects of the initial brain surgery wear off and people take courses and exams to get jobs as adults, firefighters and other people who work at high risk jobs have their lesions removed, this is the age where people have children
Late pretties - around the age of 80 people retire and move to the crumblyville

We begin on Tally's arrival to smoke after she has met up with people outside the smoke to make sure she is not bugged.

Name* Taylor
Nickname* Tay, Taytay (but only to close guy friends and boyfriends)
Sex* Female
Sexuality* Straight
Age* 16
Skin colour* Fair
Body type* Slim
Height* 5’3
Hair colour* Dark brunette
Hair style* Just below shoulders, front bangs
Eye colour* Bright blue
Clothes* dark skinny jeans and a light pink tank with black buttons halfway down the front and a charcoal boyfriend blazer
Tank* http://www.musthaves.dk/products/productinfo1.aspx?productid=4390
Blazer* http://us.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=100&viewAllFlag=false&catalogId=33060&storeId=13052&categoryId=209397&parent_category_rn=208585&productId=1832338&langId=-1
Jeans* http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/95613
Jewelery* http://talullahtu.co.uk/inc/sdetail/12378
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/80881
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/80901
Shoes* http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/80463
Formal* http://women.fashionbeans.com/womens-fashion-clothing/tfnc-tara-zip-dress/
Swimming suit* pink and grey bandeau with sting bikini bottom
Pajamas* pink short shorts and a tank
Peircings* Ears and belly button
Personality* smart, sweet,sometimes shy, flirty
Turn ons* Protective guys, sweet guys, romantic guys, being called names like bebe and love, especially baby girl I love that :D, accents!!
Turn offs* guys who can't be serious or are too serious, too many tattoos and certain piercings (tongue, lip etc.)

Tally: Taylor**
Shay: Blue_Tornado**
David:
Croy:
Davids Parents Maddy and Az:
Dr. Cable
Other Smokies:
Uglies wanting to escape:

Bia
08-08-2010, 11:21 PM
So this is pretty much my favorite book series in the history of ever...I kind of have to join. But I'm concerned on how you're setting this up. As you know, on Tally's ride out to the Smoke she's all alone. And the book pretty much focuses just on Tally the whole time. I'm afraid other people aren't gonna have much of a part.

And doesn't it kind of ruin the rp if we are just re-acting out the book? Maybe you could just like have the basic idea there, but let it go off on it's own course...

Idk I'm just throwing out ideas. I swear I'm not usually this critical, I just don't want my favorite books to be done wrong :)

Taylor
08-09-2010, 04:41 AM
Haha its my favorite too did u hear they are making a movie, its coming out in 2011 and I am praying they don't completely mess it up. As for the rp I was hoping to just give people a background of how Tally got to the smoke and then let people take it where it goes, I'd still like to keep the main relationships such as Tally and David and Shay and Tally but otherwise im up for wherever people want to take it.

Auki
08-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Hey there~ C:
If you're looking for members, why not submit this roleplay for Roleplay of the Week (http://www.role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=905), put it in the Roleplaying Games Directory (http://www.role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2304) or click here (http://www.role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3975) to help attract players?
:kailya:

Bia
08-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Oh they're making a movie? Ugh I really hope it doesn't turn into another Twilight craze. It totally ruined Twilight for me...

Okay I get what you're saying, but that doesn't leave many characters for other people. Would you be okay with other characters? I dunno, I'm just trying to come up with a way to make it enjoyable for everyone but still sticking to the story.

Taylor
08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
hmm I completely get what ur saying and im trying to think.. maybe we could have a story going on in new pretty town with like peris and his friends and a story in the smoke and they could somehow meet??
either way I believe even if you are just a regular smokie and not a main character you can still involve yourself a lot
and yea I hope they don't completely ruin it also

Bia
08-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Okay that might work, people would just have to keep themselves organized and you might have a little extra work lol.

I guess I could probably be Shay since I know the details already. Unless you want me to be someone else. I can do pretty much anything ;)

Taylor
08-09-2010, 07:40 PM
k so I figured this out it will be easier to make 2 groups to meet if some are uglies debating if they will escape and some are smokies

Bia
08-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Yeah that sounds good. So that means whoever plays David is going to have to interact with both of the groups. Would the uglies be the ones going to the smoke? Or the smokies being captured and going to the uglies?

Taylor
08-10-2010, 02:11 AM
they would be uglies going to the smoke and yea he would

Bia
08-10-2010, 02:55 AM
Okay I guess the rest we'll just have to figure out as we go along XD.

I'll go ahead and make my character.

Taylor
08-10-2010, 02:58 AM
yay :) thanks for joining

Bia
08-10-2010, 03:49 AM
Name: Shay (Shay-la)

Sex: Female

Appearance: http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx41/LaurenLH/iloveyoutoo007.jpg
Shay is about 5'6" with short dirty blonde hair. She's fairly pretty but compared to the perfected people of New Pretty Town, she looks much worse than she actually is.

Personality: On the outside, Shay is happy and rebellious, doesn't conform to normal society and doesn't usually care what other people think. When you dig deeper though you'll find that Shay is fiercely loyal and will stick with her friends, the only thing that has ever stopped her was pure fear (and she got over that eventually). She trusts quickly and tends to jump into things when she shouldn't. However, she doesn't forgive easily and does seek revenge..

Bio: Shay started life as everyone else, only when she became an Ugly did things start to change. She met a group of people who were different from the others, talked about not changing and did crazy, wild things at the dead of night. Shay became friends with them and when she was 15 had planned to escape to the wild with her friends. She chickened out however and chose to stay behind. For a while she was alone until she met Tally, a fellow ugly who liked to trick. Shay decided she did actually want to escape and tried to convince Tally to come with her, but to no avail. Shay left, leaving directions for Tally in the hopes she'd follow, and escaped to the smoke where she lives with David and the others, anxiously hoping Tally will show up.

Taylor
08-10-2010, 03:53 AM
thanks blue_tornado :)

Bia
08-10-2010, 03:55 AM
Welcomes, you can just call me Blue :) most people do and it's easier to type lol.

Taylor
08-10-2010, 04:00 AM
haha okay :) didn't wanna offend

Bia
08-10-2010, 04:02 AM
It's cool, you'll find most people on here use nicknames, we are a lazy people.

Just wondering, where did you roleplay before you found RPA? I was just curious cause your set up style is strangely similar to how I started roleplaying (On a Facebook application called the Bathroom Wall, don't laugh, it's my shameful past *sweat*)

Taylor
08-10-2010, 04:09 AM
haha no thats exactly where I started and stuck with it when it became bathroom stall and now anon board but it has gone so downhill I wanted to find something new. What was your name on bw??

Bia
08-10-2010, 04:17 AM
Haha no way! I knew I recognized your style! Oh and thats exactly what happened to me, after the stall crap and everything I just said screw this and went to find something else.

Umm I switched through a lot of characters. There was a emo girl named Nikki, One based off myself named Andy, a Japanese girl named Kiko, and others that I would make up on the spot. I was also a roleplay watcher named Blue_Tornado (hehe) and I would provide enjoyable (to me anyway) commentary throughout random roleplays...those poor GM's....

lol aww now you got me all reminiscing XD

Taylor
08-10-2010, 04:20 AM
haha yea I don't think we ever rp'd I was taylor the entire time and I miss bathroom wall like it was so good now almost all the originals are gone, there are no new rp's and there are so many one on ones its horrible

Bia
08-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Oh I don't miss it, not at all. But we should probably take this conversation elsewhere *glances around* the mods are watching and don't appreciate too much chat in non-chat areas.

I have so much to tell you though! And talk about...gosh...your like my blast from the past :D I'll message you .