PDA

View Full Version : The Drunk Idiot (A story about my uncle)

stargirl
08-10-2010, 09:19 PM
I wrote this for a creative writing class I had a few years ago. Enjoy.

It's around eight thirty at night and I am in the living room on the computer playing my Sims 2 game. My mom is at work and my brother is behind me watching a show on tv. I tune him out as I listen to music from my headphones and build a house in my game. For now all is well.
I'm pretty happy with how things are going. That is until I hear the front door open over my music. I quickly press stop on the player, remove my headphones, and shut down my Sims 2 game. The game takes forever to shut down. The drunk idiot I refuse to call father is home. He greets my brother. I can tell he's drunk by the way he talks. I glance over at him as my brother says hello back. He's wobbly on his feet. Yup he's drunk. Suddenly I feel his eyes on me. For some reason he doesn't like me being on the computer.
"Shut it down NOW!" He says loudly. I quickly find and click the button 'Turn Off Computer.' Again it takes a minute or two but that's not good enough for him.
"Shut it DOWN! You're done! You don't go on that computer for the rest of the night!" He says. Why is he yelling at me? I didn't do any damn thing wrong!
"I am." I say in a strong but scared voice. I stay in the computer chair and watch the computer shut down. Anything is better than looking at him. Finally it's done and I pick up my crutches and go straight to my room.
"Don't be going in the boys' room!" I hear him yell from the living room. I don't plan on going in there anyway. I get to my room and close the door. I turn on my mp3 player. Music is my escape from him, the man I hate with my entire being. I could never love him like a daughter would love her father. I don't even consider him a father figure toward me.
I start to think about why he kicked me off the computer. I wasn't doing anything wrong. I was just minding my own buisness playing my Sims 2 game and listening to music.
The peace and quiet doesn't last. The Drunk Idiot opens my door. I hide my mp3 player under my pillow so he doesn't find it.
I fear that if he does, he will take it from me.
"You didn't do what you were supposed to do did you."
I have no idea what the hell he's talking about.
I watch him look at my radio.
"I'll cut the cord on that radio. I got the tool right here." He takes out his pocket knife. I look at it and imagine myself plunging that into his back. If only I wouldn't get caught doing that. I'd love to see this drunk bastard dead.
He puts his knife back and leaves the room. My anger quickly grows. He threatens to take away my only escape from him. That really pisses me off! Well he can cut that cord, but I still have my mp3 player. He will never ever get to that.
I start to wonder why he doesn't yell at my brother at all. He only yells at me and my mom. My hate for him grows.
I take out my mp3 player and turn it on quietly. I can once again escape from the Drunk Asshole who seems to like to take away my happiness. If only he was dead... I fall asleep.
I see myself in my dream. I'm playing my playstation 2 when the phone rings. My brother doesn't seem to be home so I watch myself run and get it.
"Hello?" I say in the phone. My mom's voice is on the other end.
"Becky, I'm at the hospital. DJ's dead."
I am compleatly silent. He's dead? What? You mean this nightmare is over? Finally! I'm free from that bastard! I never thought this day would ever come!
"Ok." I hear myself say in a slightly sad tone so I don't upset her.
"We'll be home in an hour." She said.
"Ok." I say before we say out goodbyes and hang up.
My eyes shoot open. Aw crap it was only a dream. I'm still stuck with him. Damn it! Well I'm going to have to come up with ways to avoid him I guess. I can try to be outside when he comes home though in the winter that's hard. The basement will help though it's fricken freezing down there. I guess that's my only option for now. I can't believe I've sunk so low. Why doesn't my mom divorce him? Maybe because she thinks she has no where else to go. I don't know for sure. I'm just guessing. Though sometimes I wish I knew.
I guess my nightmare still goes on.