PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips for writing a novel?

Lara
05-21-2014, 08:07 AM
I am planning (and jotting down ideas and plot events) for my first serious novel, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice, tips and general expectancies for me?

Many thanks in advance

ZiekwaltZier
05-21-2014, 07:05 PM
best advice i can give is get you basic outline, the setting, time period, location, lots of vivid details as well, make sure that you portray your characters in the novel as if you were in their situation. add some unexpected situations and results of those situations to spice up your novel every now and then you want to make sure people stay on their toes and interested. thats the best i can think of for advice ^^

kjwolfsound
05-26-2014, 09:22 PM
The best advice that I can provide is that description and outline are key. Before you start writing the real thing, know what you're going to be writing about. That doesn't only mean plot, but also the characters. By that, I don't mean just names and visual descriptions. You need to be able to get into your character's mind. Maybe you have a character who's shy, lacks self-confidence, and is very private. You'd need to be able to know how that person is feeling inside, even though they don't show it on the outside. And maybe in the same story, you have someone who's the exact opposite. An outgoing, confident, open-book kind of person. You'd also need to be able to get into their mind. You'd need to be able to write how this person would think and feel. You need to be able to enter people's minds and think differently than you would think in certain situations.

Another thing is being able to describe the things around you, which is pretty self explanatory. That's not only describing what something looks, smells, sounds, or feels like, but being able to use descriptive words. I usually go into google, and when I want to describe something using a common or boring word, I'll type in 'define said word', and then I'll use one of the words that it shows up for a synonym. And dialogue is also vital when it comes to writing a good story. Don't used the words said too often. Sure, you can say it more than other words, but make sure you aren't constantly using 'said' in your writing. Here's a good sight for words that you can use as a replacement for 'said' http://www.spwickstrom.com/said/ . I use it when I need to, and it helps me write stories a lot easier. Try and keep the story interesting by using descriptive words.

Also, don't make the plot too simple, but don't make it overly complicated either. Usually, it's not easy to read a story where the plot is jumping from one thing to another to another in one chapter, or even five. You want to keep a story set so that it moves along at a smooth, but not tedious, pace. Don't draw things on too long. I have a tendency to do that, and even I get bored with my story. If you tend to do that like I do, try and work against it. Don't give into what your mind is always telling you to do. Make sure that what you're saying is actually something that your readers care about. If you're in the middle of a chapter of a story where your main character is just shot, and is being rushed to an ambulance, are you really going to be writing five paragraphs about what one of the paramedics looks like, what the ambulance is filled with, and what the paramedic is giving your characters to dull the pain? No. Your readers won't care about how many ounces of morphine your character gets, how much the paramedic looks like Taylor Swift's most recent, and soon to be ex, boyfriend, or how many analgesics and syringes there are in one of the boxes on the shelf. What they will care about is how your character is in pain, what your character is thinking, and what your characters chances of survival are.

Lastly, don't force things out. Let them come naturally. If you put down extremely long, confusing words in every single sentence of your writing, readers are going to know that it was forced and unnatural, and the story will just sound fake.

Good luck on your novel. I hope this helped.

AngelWarrior
05-26-2014, 10:21 PM
I haven't had the pleasure of writing my first novel but what has helped me on my journey is setting a side a work space. My work space has been a wall on a bedroom that I face if I sit at my laptop. On this wall is everything. Each character and a description. I'm very visual so I put crude little sketches alongside too. Every city or town within my world is also drawn up and explained here. in between i stick down plot notes. So maybe char 3 is lined up next to city 1 and there's some interaction there. So I make sure my plot note over laps both my character and the city. If your idea is too big for something like that, try using string to connect characters, cities and events. This all just helps to give you a visual look at your story and a hands on approach if something needs to change. Often I just stare at my wall then start re-writing plot notes and moving strings about 'cause I notice something doesn't make sense.

Even if a story wall isn't the way you decide to go be sure to set aside a space that is just for your writing. Work space is very important and will help you focus when things seem tough or to be dragging.

Best of luck! Please let us know how the progress is! :)

Zulera301
05-28-2014, 09:14 AM
As a published novelist I can tell you some of the things I did (or didn't do) when I produced my novel.
---Foremost: DO NOT edit until you have finished writing the main content. Otherwise you get caught in something called "editting purgatory", which is more or less the novel equivalent of Development Hell. Wait till you have written "THE END" at the end of your story (or one would hope at least), before you go back to re-read it for editting, formatting, etc etc.

---CONSTANT VIGILANCE. You might hit a block or two on your road to publication. this is normal. Do not throw everything on the shelf and then go off and start another book. If you need a break for a day or two from your writing, then by all means, go ahead. HOWEVER, unless you decide that your story is total crap, don't ever just throw it.

---more than the plot, people tend to remember the characters. If you are able to creat compelling and intriguing characters, people will enjoy more of your story as they relate with your protagonists and antagonists, and maybe even laugh or cry or whatever else with them in the process.

---and on an elementary level--good spelling and grammar (spellcheck in word is good. autocorrect on a phone will make things worse) are important. A good vocabulary, while not necessarily critical, does help as well, as long as you don't make like every 5th word something intricate that forces your reader to consult a dictionary every time.

Those are some of the early and basic tips I can provide, but if you want to discuss it with me more, I'd be more than happy to offer service. :)

Nachthexe
05-28-2014, 07:35 PM
I've been trying to write a novel for years, but have never really gotten past the planning stages. Here's what little advice I can offer though: If you come up with any idea, no matter how silly it may seem, jot it down. Keep notes of all your ideas for characters, plot, and setting. You never know when it'll come in handy. I think this is one of the places where I went wrong.