PDA

View Full Version : (August) Prompt #3 - Opaque

Chat Noir
08-01-2014, 09:24 PM
The third prompt of August is the word, Opaque.

Chat Noir
08-01-2014, 09:28 PM
If you have any questions about how to participate in this event, please visit the rules (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63004) thread or PM me (http://role-player.net/forum/member.php?u=27079).

Happy writing!

Naraness
08-07-2014, 02:03 AM
Hey look I did a thing... Lol

Opaque

Here I sit in this room. A place of dreams, a place of hopes, sorrows, and dizzying confusion. It’s not the kind of place you might want to spend a lot of time in. It’s also not a place you should get used to. Yet I did, and it’s hard to escape now.

How can I begin to explain what this room is like? You look out the window, and the world is warped and distorted. Shapes float by like watercolor, and sounds can’t quite break through the glass surrounding you. It’s muffled, numbing, and disorienting. In fact, it’s hard to tell what’s real and what’s not.

Of course, at times I can see faces through the glass. They come and they speak to me, and I smile and try to understand what I can’t fully comprehend. Their words mean little to me when they’re directed at another person, and their voices are faint if they’re just a little distance away. Rather than listen, it’s more fun to keep my attention inside. Inside the Opaque Room.

Sometimes it’s quiet, though. Sometimes I can hear nothing other than the beating of my heart and my own shaky breaths. I’ll lift my hands to the glass and puff out a breath of hot air, making it fog up even more. With my finger I draw smiley faces and cartoon flowers, and giggle as I’m amused by my own creativity.

Outside, the voices and faces are back. But I won’t turn and look at them. Everything I need is here in my room. It’s safe, it’s warm, and I don’t need to be concerned with anything outside. What could be more interesting than my own devices? I can dance and sing without feeling like anyone is watching. Even if they do, I’m protected by the glass around me. I don’t feel like their eyes can really see me. I’m fearless inside my room, where they can’t see the real me and I can’t see the real them.

Does it sound like a prison yet? Maybe like a box, which I’m locked inside?

Perhaps it is. But the difference with the Opaque Room is this: I can leave at any time. I can choose to open my eyes and step out into the real world. I can decide that I want to listen, look, and discover… All I need to do is stand up and open the door. Yet I stay here.

Why? Because my secret prison is safe. I can’t be harmed if I refuse to listen to what others say. I can’t hurt others if I choose not to speak words of honesty. If I hide under a distorting mask, than I don’t truly exist. Those who do not exist cannot be hurt. They cannot affect the world around them, and the world around them cannot affect them. My own fear has stopped me from stepping out and making a path for myself. My indifference has made my life meaningless, and time has done nothing more than steal my life. Years have come and gone, living in a snapshot.

What have I accomplished? What have I done to change the world as I always claimed I wanted to do? What progress have I made towards my dreams? How many lives have I changed?

Not enough.

So today is the day. Today is the day when I will stand up. I will dust off my clothes, and straighten my collar. With a shaky breath, I’ll take a last look through the frosty glass and say ‘goodbye’. It’s been too long in here, and I need to break free. I’ll push my chair up against the wall, and stretch my legs for the first time. My outstretched hand will touch the door, fingers trembling.

Am I ready? What if the outside world is too much to take in? What if I’m blinded by the hate, cruelty, and evil I’ve ignored all these years? What if I can’t come back?

For a moment I hesitate and step away. I should stay here in my room, where it’s safe and I don’t have to listen to the words of distain and malice.

But then a thought occurs to me. What if the good in the world is worth suffering through the bad? What if it’s worth it to brave the dragons and find the light? A smile crosses my face, and I wonder if this is true. Maybe the whole point is the stand up and say no to what’s wrong and terrible. Maybe if I step outside the door, I can make the world just a little bit better.

My eyes bore into the door. Through it, I can see distorted figures, all walking around and talking as if I don’t exist. “Do I really want to live this way?” The sentence is faint and weak, but it gives me the strength to carry on and push through the door.

Light pours into the dim room, blinding me temporarily. I look outside, into the world that I’ve never seen clearly before. Now more than just blurry shapes, I can see everything that I’ve been missing out on. I can see the world as I was meant to see it for so, so long. Why did I ever stay in that Opaque room? Why did I ever settle for less?

I step out and my foot lands on the ground. Now I’m standing halfway in each world. The Opaque room lays behind me beckoning my return. “No.” I reply simply, and commit to my second step into the real world. The colors are bright here, the sounds are clear, and I can see people as they are. Those who are evil hearted, my heart aches for. But those who have been waiting for me to step out… Their smiles are brighter than I ever could have imagined.

With a grin, I slam the door behind me and watch my glass prison fall to pieces on the ground. All that’s left are shards, all over the floor. There’s no going back now. There’s no more safety. I will experience all the evil in the world. I will see all the hate, I will hear all the words that make my heart break.

But I will embrace the beauty, and I will enjoy every moment of splendor. I won’t turn way from this world, because it’s a work of art. I will never close my eyes again.

Celix
08-09-2014, 05:29 AM
“For so long my life was opaque and then it became translucent. People use to come and go in and out of my life daily, yearly, and it was okay. It was a part of life to see them come and go. Then it all stopped. They started to stay. Instead of going home at the end of the day and being left with just my own thoughts, my own existence, I had someone to share it with.

Instead of being in a room of people and calmly inspecting my life and other ideas I had access to others at all time. The problem was even though I had access to them I didn’t. Just like in real life they were there but only if I sought them out and even then it was never on a deeper level than passing friendship.

I went from being alone to being alone and me to alone with people wanting something. I could message them on the phone or I could chat with them through the internet but in reality it was meaningless. They weren’t really there and the only thing that was there was just my own thoughts, like before but changed. It was clouded with all these other people that didn’t add anything but were only distractions.

I crave attention a connection to others. So when I find someone that I like I latched on and hoped more would come of it. So instead of being in a sea of distraction I had one more person on the boat with me. When I would go to sleep they would be there. As long as I could talk to them the distance didn’t matter anymore because we had our time together. But time after time that other person in my boat would leave my boat when they were left to themselves.

Instead of taking comfort in their own self they would find others to take comfort in. An attempt to stave off the horror of our own minds I can only figure at the base level. I use to be comfortable with simply sitting in a room full of people and just sitting in my mind. Not really thinking or doing anything grand, just existing. But once I let others in a need, an addiction, was born. Whenever I was not with someone I was alone and that scared me.

So I constantly checked the internet where my “friends” were. I endlessly checked my phone to see if someone cared enough, like when someone would lay down beside me at night and just speak to me about what they believed, what they thought. I would even go as far as trying to make a connection with people that I didn’t even really like just so I could have that connection in any form.

The times are changing from when we use to be comfortable with our thoughts, to where we not only are always connected but we have to always be connected.

When the phone is turned off and the accounts for socialization are removed a quietness comes back to the mind that I honestly no longer know if I miss or fear. I use to be much harder than I am now but I wasn’t as happy. The tradeoff is that I may be happier sometimes it makes me softer so that when, for the fifth time I have my trust betrayed, I realize the loneliness that not only I am surrounded by but the loneliness of the world is a constant.

I think that loneliness is why we have created a system that allows us to create and maintain a constant connection to others, even when they are not truly important to us. Because that importance we feel when we gain someone to join us scares us and hurts us just as much as the loneliness. So it is far better to have weak and ultimately meaningless relationships than rather truly be with another or even worse to be alone.

That is why I turned off the social media and my phone, no other reason than to listen to what I have to say on the inside. I’ve been ignoring it for quite some time.”

“Thank you Celix for telling us how you feel. Do you feel any better?” The doctor said as he typed a short response to a observing coworker.

“Honestly no, because I can still see that you don’t understand. Even now you are making a note on your pad to someone behind the glass about what you think. Come now doctor. I know that I am going against the norm and to be quite frank I am terrified right now. What are all of the people I know doing at this exact moment. I could simply log in and know, it’s so simple, but that’s all I would be doing. Have you never wondered what it’s like when the only sentient being that you can converse with is yourself? It’s a scary thought is it not doctor.”

“I think we have made some progress here tonight Celix. We’ll let you get some rest now and we’ll start back at it again tomorrow.”

“I’ll be here doctor, my thoughts and I… I wonder if I’m alone in my head. That is an interesting thought. Maybe that’s why were afraid to go there, someone already has taken residency.”

The doctor made one more note on his pad before he left the room to discuss the meeting with his coworkers and go on with his day. He saw several more patients that day, all different in their own right but Celix was the one that always stuck with him all through work and at the end of the day. Just before he was about to lay down and go to bed he took the charger for his tablet and was about to let it recharge from the day’s use. It was nearly down to five percent.

Suddenly Celix’s voice came into his mind. I’ll be here doctor, my thoughts and I.

“I don’t know who I actually am.” His hands started to shake for a moment and then he quickly plugged the charger into his tablet and watched the screen light up with a new notification of a friend’s activity.

MashuNeko
08-09-2014, 07:26 AM
Part 1- Rifts: The Invisible Rat

I stood there, in front of her, but she couldn't see me. I was invisible. I had cast a high level invisibility spell on myself, so as not to be caught. Only now did I listen in. I waited for the woman to speak, patiently, but there was no one to speak to yet. I could only wait longer.

Some footsteps, coming down the hallway I entered in, told me it was time. I sure had been early to spy on the woman this time, but I needed to be so I could be certain I would not be seen. I never failed. I was never seen. Finally, the footsteps revealed a large man, who he suspected to be the traitor. A Dog Boy, he was. Wolf it seemed. He recognized him clearly.

"I'm back. Miss me?" He teased, but the woman did not look amused. When he saw the look on her face, he only shook his head and spoke again. "Come on now, don't be so sour. You know how loyal I am." He said, likely in an attempt to calm her.

"Yes, remind me to give you a bone later." She growled in response, clearly not in the mood for games. "They've been thwarting our plans for too long, John! We need to find the rat!" He yelled. I only held back my laugh, careful not to let out a peep. If only she knew he was there, she might not be saying these things. Stepping down and up to the Dog Boy, the woman, whose powers he didn't quite know yet, only threatened him. "You better not be double-crossing me. You know what happens when people do that."

He winced, likely thinking about his punishment. "Yeah, I know. Look, give me time. I'll get it done. No problem." He told her, seeming so sure of himself. "Don't worry Julie, I only belong to you." He stated, as if it was some love affair. He smiled gently, so that must have been what it turned into. I could only stop and think how gross it was, that this woman would decide to be with a guy like him.

She smiled at him, stroking his cheek softly with her hand. "Good boy. I'm happy about that." Then she quickly turned grumpy again. "But that doesn't change that they are knowing our plans. We need to find this rat, and quickly." She paced back and forth in front of John, letting him know how stressed she was. "Okay, we might not need to. Enact it a few days early. That will be our only chance to finish this petty fight once and for all." She said confidently. He had to remember this, and that should be easy with his total recall spell.

He gasped a little, surprised at her. "Why would we do that? You know we have to stay on schedule. If we don't there's a big chance this could fail." He told her, trying to talk her out of it. "You know we have to do it exactly on the night of the full moon. That's when our chances are best. Hell, any other day, our chances are so low, we might as well not even bother." He explained, making certain she knew what she was getting into.

She seemed irritated, growling back at him. "Look, John, we don't have any other choice! There's a rat our there somewhere, telling our entire plans to everyone!" She yelled, pushing him slightly. This sight amused me, a man getting pushed around by his girlfriend. I would never go into such a relationship myself. At least not yet. I wanted this war to end first, then I would think about it. Chances on that were slim though. I didn't want to be chained down. I refocused as she began to speak again. "Never mind, you're right. Our chances are so slim, any other day would be useless. Fine, keep on schedule, but this time, don't tell anyone our plans." She warned, poking at his chest.

She pushed her hand down, allowing himself to get closer to her. "I know. Don't worry, we'll succeed. We have you to lead us, remember?" He told her before planting his lips on hers. They kissed for what seemed like an hour before parting their mouths. I was almost sure one of them would be missing their lips, what with them sucking at each others faces for so long. "We'll continue shipping the vibro-swords and energy rifles as planned. Hopefully, these weapons will give our soldiers over at base one an edge, and our scientists are currently developing more weapons as we speak." He said, no doubts filling his voice.

She seemed to believe him, nodding her head in agreement. "Very well. Good luck John. We don't have room for anymore failure." She told him, pushing herself away before turning mean again. "I mean that! If I find out we've been foiled again, I will have your hide resting on my wall, do you understand me?" She threatened him again, and he could only nod in agreement. "You are dismissed. And remember, we are a secret. No one else can find out, or they will doubt our judgement. Alright sweety?" She confirmed.

He only smiled and laughed a bit. "Of course darling. I wouldn't want anyone to think you're going easy on me just because you like me." He remarked.

He began to leave, but not before I started to. I'd had enough of their lovey-dovey talk. I needed to get out of there before I threw up. As I tried to, I noticed the lack of footsteps behind me, signalling that John wasn't coming this way. I had to go back, to see what was going on.

I peaked into the room from the corner, seeing them looking at the doorway I just just gone through. John was the first to speak. "So, how much do you think he heard?" He laughed, looking back at Julie.

She returned a laugh of her own, smiling happily. "He heard it all. I know he did. The child will find he was too early this time. We've finally caught on to him, and he heard as much as we needed him to know." She stepped back down to John. "Now then, enact the plan as soon as possible. This full moon nonsense is too cliche." She said, giving another short chuckle.

John nodded to her. "Of course. We'll have it ready in two days time. The nuke we've been reconstructing is almost finished." He sounded so proud. "I have to say, you're quite the actress. I would have almost thought you were really mad at me." He said, laughing a bit more. I wondered what they were talking about, then the realization hit me. They knew I was there all along. They knew I was there this time, and they planned for me to hear everything. Everything... except this. He had to tell everyone.

She laughed again. "You weren't so bad yourself pup. I'll make sure you get extra treats later. How does that sound." She offered with a wink, her voice sounding extremely seductive. This wasn't right, I was only fourteen. I didn't need to hear this crap from them.

I began to make my way back out to inform my village of the oncoming attack in two days. A sniffing sound behind me warned me to walk faster, so I did. I made it out of there in no time.

John enjoyed her seductive measures, knowing first hand how inviting she could be. "Heh, you know I'm your pup. I think I'd like my treats-" He cut off. His nose twitched, forcing him to turn his head toward the doorway. His face began to burn with anger. He saw the child. He caught a glimpse of the child just as he was running away. He couldn't help but howl in dismay.

Julie looked at him, turning his head so he was looking at her again. "What's the matter big pup? What is it?" She asked, still being her seductive self.

He looked as if he were about to explode with anger, but he calmed down when he heard her soothing voice. "I think we'll have to speed up production. The child may have caught on to us." He said, sounding worried. He noticed her face and couldn't help but begin to put his furry hand on her cheek. "Don't worry, this will work. I promise, honey bun." He said, carefully holding her face in his hand.

She leaned into his hand, accepting it with sheer pleasure. "I know big pup. How about I give you your treats now, like you were going to say?" She offered, once again in her seductive voice that made John smile and shiver in delight. "Besides, I need to feed right now, and you're the only even remotely psionic creature in range." She seemed desperate, but she really wasn't.

He smiled at her, letting her know it would be alright. "I know. My little psi-stalker isn't getting enough psychic energy, is she?" He asked as she shook her head. "Well, you'll need it. We're going to battle sooner than expected. Let's go have those treats now, shall we?" He said, leading her away. She seemed only too happy to follow, and why wouldn't she be? She was going to have a bit of fun and feed at the same time.

m139
08-12-2014, 05:27 PM
She stuck her hand in the twenty-five gallon fish tank, and pulled out a handful of the goop it was half full of. She stared at her hands, full of the thick, pearly white, yet still opaque liquid. It was somewhat disgusting, slimy even, but she had gotten used to the feeling sometime around 11:00am, which would have been the tenth or so time her hand had reached in.

She still could not understand it. Yesterday, this tank had looked like any other. Clear, slightly above room temperature water had flowed through the filtration system, two tropical fish had swum, and the plastic plants had sat in the bottom. She had been afraid of touching those probably dead fish, when she had first stuck her hand into the tank. But then, when she had gained the courage to reach deeper into the tank, she could not even find a single one of the plastic plants, or the little pebbles that had once lined the bottom. So, she replaced her first fear with another. Was the slosh corrosive?

The moment that thought came into her head, she had washed her hands completely. For about half an hour, she stared at them, hoping nothing would happen. And nothing did happen. Then, gathering courage, she had again approached the tank. She stuck a plastic rod- a small rod, made for helping to clean the filter- partially in, holding the other end at a level above the white goop. She had stared at the end touching the goop for a long time. Finally, after maybe fifteen minutes of seeing nothing, she pulled the rod out again. Like the toothpick pulled out of a completely baked loaf, it came out clean. Not even a bit of the glop clung to it.

Come to think of it, none of the white stuff had stayed on her hands when she had withdrawn her hands from it earlier. The only thing that had remained was that icky, slimy feeling. With this thought, she became more confident, and again reached towards the open tank. Her hand hovered above the surface of the goop, hesitant. Which leads us up, again, to the present moment...

She stuck her hand in the twenty-five gallon fish tank, and pulled out a handful of the goop it was full of. She stared at her hands, full of the thick, pearly white yet still opaque liquid. It was somewhat disgusting, slimy even, but she had gotten used to the feeling sometime around 11:00am, which would have been the tenth or so time her hand had reached in.

The white liquid-ish handful of this thing had been a bit hard to separate from the rest. In fact, at the time, it had seemed to resist, almost seeming to cling to the bigger mass of itself. That was a bit strange. But now, it was in her hands and seemed to have resumed its normal consistency- thick, and only slightly oozy. As she continued to examine it, she noticed something: it seemed to be moving. And, watching more closely, she realized it was so.

It was moving from the center of her cupped hands, slowly traveling, in one gigantic blob, towards her fingertips, which were pointed in the direction of the tank. Slowly, her mind began to acknowledge this movement. She stared at the blob for a moment more, shocked to the point of delayed action. Then, she jumped back, separating her hands as she brought them up and out, the expression on her face now one of horror. And so, the blob fell onto the floor, directly on top of a small scrap of paper. As the opaque blob continued to move, the once hidden paper again came into view. Clearly, the liquid was not corrosive. But the white stuff was creepy. She watched the blob slowly glide up the table leg, and up the tank wall before finally rejoining the larger bunch of itself. It seemed to melt into the rest. Now, it was impossible to tell it had ever been separated.

The women let out her breath. She had been holding it, without even realizing that she had been doing it. The horror was still there, but it was no more the silent, watching type. No, it had been replaced with a rage filled type, the type that needs to do something. For the strange, thick liquid needed to be gone. It was too strange. It moved by itself. She wanted nothing more to do with it. She approached the tank with firm determination. She would move it.

She tried to lift the tank. It did not move. She had only partially expected it to move: even when it had been filled with water, it had been hard to lift even a centimeter without help. So then, she decided to push the tank, just a little to the right, so that it would be slightly off the table. Then, she would be able to put a hand under it. She tried. It should not have been to hard- she had done it before- but it was. In fact, she again could not move it at all. She felt on the other side of the table: no screws, no bolts. She examined the base where the tank met the table: no glue or other adhesive, at least from what she could see.

Fury began to strengthen the determination. If she could not move the tank, she would destroy it: right here, right now. Somehow- in her anger some of her actions were forgotten- she found a hammer in her hand. She swung it at the tank. It did not break. She swung again. And again. But each time she got the same result.

Then came the time when she swung too hard. The hammer flew out of her hands, and fell into the tanks contents. The opaque white liquid soon covered up any visible trace of it. The woman reached into the tank to retrieve it. It seemed to have sunk far: it certainly was not near the surface. She reached her hand in deeper, slowly moving it around to try to find her lost hammer. Soon, her arm was in up to her elbow. She still could not feel it. She continued to reach. Now, she was in up to almost her shoulder. And she began to come to a new realization: the tank had no apparent bottom. With this realization, the anger and horror and all her previous emotions were replaced with one of the original ones: curiosity. Where was the apparent bottom?

She inserted a yard stick, holding onto one end. She pushed it in as far as she could, but could find no bottom. She grabbed a broom, and repeated the process. Still, she could find no bottom. Finally, she pulled a chair up next to the table. She tied a rope to one of the table legs. Then, she stepped onto the chair, then, holding the other end of the rope, into the tank. She immediately began to sink into the goop. She grabbed the side of the tank with her free hand as she was going down. She stopped moving. She could still not feel any bottom. There was a good five or so more feet of slack rope. The rope was strong. And now... Now she felt as if she must find the bottom. So...

She took a big breath, and pushed herself downward. The goo easily accepted her. when she had lowered herself the extra five feet, she still could not feel the bottom. And she needed to breath soon. Plus, the complete darkness- she was completely under now- was kind of intimidating. She began to go hand over hand up the rope, but after two rounds, it felt too slow. So, she let go of the rope to swim upwards.

And the instant she let go of the rope, she felt herself falling. She screamed, but nothing came out. The darkness surrounding her seemed to come in, but, surprisingly, it was breathable. Soon, after a bit more of the falling, she stopped screaming. She could still feel the falling, she was still surrounded by blackness, but the opaque liquid no longer terrified her. She had been in it too long.

Then, just as suddenly as the falling had started, she hit the bottom. She was on something green and spongy. She could barely make out its color, and could not do much else: the darkness that surrounded her might as well have been opaque. Except...

Except there was a little bit of light, its source somewhere up above, where she had come from.

She looked up. The goo- or whatever it had been- was no longer there. Instead, it had changed. It was no longer opaque, nor was it even touchable.

It was now a twinkling white star, far off and unattainable, and the only bit of brightness in the otherwise dark sky.

MashuNeko
08-20-2014, 03:44 AM
Part 2- Rifts: City-Wide Destruction

The army began to check for survivors now, the remains of the town still on fire. I sat on a high perch, watching as my home was devastated. They had acted earlier than I had expected. It was terrible. We had been in the middle of preparations when they struck, no one fully prepared enough to tackle what they had. People still had missing armor pieces, or half loaded guns with energy clips that hadn't been fully charged yet. Some weapons hadn't even had clips in them yet. I was the only one I knew that was fully prepared, and even that didn't help me. The worse part was that the enemy didn't even have their full arsenal on their side, and they took us down that easily. I always knew the Coalition States were bad news.

My sixth sense went off, and I immediately cast my invisibility spell. I couldn't be seen here, not now. I wasn't going to die here. Very carefully, I looked behind me to find two people stepping up on my perch. I recognized them easily.

"So, any survivors?" The Dog Boy asked, grinning maliciously. "I haven't found any yet." He shrugged nonchalantly, as if it were an ordinary, everyday thing he did.

The woman looked at him, a similar malicious grin forming on her face. "Nope. Not a single one big pup." She giggled a bit before taking is hand in hers. "You know John, I've been considering retiring." She said, rather innocently. How could she act so innocent?

The "big pup" seemed saddened by the statement she made. "Aw, come on Julie. Why would you do that?" He asked, tilting his head to the side ever so slightly in a way that resembled an actual dog. "We got things good here. Money, power, and each other." Moving in closer, he was stopped by her hand to his chest.

Pouting a bit, she couldn't help but look away from him. "I know, but we could still be together if-" She was quickly cut off by John's hand to her mouth. Angry, she flung his hand down to glare at him. "What the hell?" She was nearly yelling by this time.

He shushed her. "I smell something." He told her, looking backward toward me for a moment. "It smells like that rat!" A growl rumbled from his throat. I knew full well that he wanted to tear me apart. That wasn't going to happen though. Not now. I had to get the best of him before he got me. It was the least I could do for them killing my family.

Julie tugged on his arm. "He was probably up here earlier. He's dead now though." She struggled to convince the guy I was dead. He seemed to buy it for now, seeing as he calmed down a bit.

Sighing, John looked back at the girl. "Yeah, you're right. I was just hoping that I would be the one to kill him. I give him this, he was a decent spy." He chuckled a little, as if a mockery to my own attempts to save my town and family.

Julie didn't seem to care, as she took him once again by the hand. "John, I'm going to retire. I just feel like there's nothing left-" She stopped right there, her eyes widening as she saw me, but too late.

I ran forward, jumping on the Dog Boy's back, not caring what happened to me anymore. I pulled my own vibro-knife from my pocket, holding it against his throat. I was done playing the rat. I growled to them both, earning myself a growl from the wolf I was attached to. "You'll both pay for this!" I shouted, bringing the edge of the knife closer, drawing blood now, but just a little.

Julie was hesitant to do anything, knowing full well that if she tried anything, she'd lose her partner. "Oh? How's that?" She snipped, pretending to no longer care about the man. "Go ahead, cut him." She mused, a thin grin decorating her lips. John, however, didn't seem as carefree. He struggled only a little before I pressed my knife further against hid neck. A quiet yelp told me it hurt, and I was glad it did.

John was quick to drop to his knees, knowing that any sudden movement on his part could cause me to slit his throat for instant death. "Julie, no time for games!" He shouted, waiting for her to do something. He grabbed my arm, trying to wrench it away, but the more he struggled, the more he yelped in pain. He looked up at her, pleading with his eyes. "Help me."

Julie kept up her facade as much as she could, but didn't last long. Tears formed at the corners of her eyes as she glared at me. "Fine, you win!" She yelled. "Don't take him away from me you little wretch!" She didn't keep tough for much longer. "I'm begging you..." She dropped to her knees.

I only chuckled at the irony. "Why shouldn't I?" I demanded. If I let him go, they would kill me. If I killed him, she would kill me. I was going to die either way. "My people begged for you not to kill their loved ones, and look what happened!" I was shouting, nodding my head ever so slightly in the direction of the ruins of my home. "Now they're all dead!"I couldn't stop the rage from showing through my voice.

She knew I was right. She stood again, walking closer to us. "We'll give you anything." She said, trying to buy out my anger. "Just name it, and I assure you, we'll all walk away alive." She promised false rewards for letting this mutt live whereas I had everything taken away from me.

I showed no signs of faltering. I kept my angry glare at her, my knife held steady against John's neck. I pretended to consider the deal. "That might work..." I began, keeping my grip firm to remind the wolf I was still in charge for now.

She smiled, a genuine smile it seemed. "Ten we have a deal?" She questioned, holding her hand out to me slightly. She seemed relieved to be getting her lover back, but I didn't care. John seemed relieved himself, but he didn't know what was coming.

I wasn't even finished speaking yet. "But," I said a bit louder, "I can't make a deal with people who took everything from me!" Upon hearing this news, the wolf attempted to struggle away. "I'm cutting this deal short!" I yelled, quickly bring my vibro-knife against the wolf, making quick work of him. That was the end of one problem, but now there was another. She was not happy.

A scream escaped the woman's lips as her "big pup" fell to the ground, dead. "You'll regret crossing me!" No sooner did she say it, she tore me apart. I stood no chance against her energy pistol. As the old saying goes, never bring a knife to a gun fight. She didn't stop shooting until she was sure I had more holes in my body than the moon had craters. That was the end for my story...

I rose from my seat, my rear sore from sitting in one place for so long. "Man, I liked him too." I said, scribbling out the space labeled "H.P." I gazed to the girl sitting across from me, a guy sitting next to her. "Why'd you have to go and kill me off like that?" I inquired, looking at her quizzically.

She stuck her tongue out at me, teasing my for my character's sudden death. "Because, you killed my boyfriend!" She laughed, earning a laugh from myself and he guy next to her as well. "I don't think John liked dying anymore than you did." She added quickly.

John spoke up. "To be fair Julie, we did kind of destroy his entire home." He said, shrugging in my defense. He stood up, placing a hand on her shoulder. "I could have rolled up a new guy real quick, no problem." He nodded over to me next. "With his guy dead, we have to start somewhere else now though, thanks to Miss GM over here." He poked at her for emphasis.

Quickly defending herself by slapping his hands away, Julie looked up at him. "Okay, fine. Maybe I went overboard just a little." She rubbed the back of her head with her free hand. "Sorry Ty." She said, feeling genuinely sorry for that dirty trick.

I laughed a little then waved it off. "Nah, it's fine. This means I can try one of the other O.C.C.'s now." I told her, already pulling out a fresh sheet of paper and the dice. Rolling them on the table, I began writing down numbers. "Hey, maybe you can be GM this time John." I added, still focused on writing down these numbers I'd been adding up.

John seemed intrigued by the thought of being GM. "Sure, why not. I'll see if anyone else wants to join us though." I didn't mind at all. The more the merrier. "Hey, you guys want anything to eat while I'm up?" She asked, standing at the door to his kitchen.

"I'd like a water with ice, and maybe some of those pizza roles you've been hiding from me." She teased, smiling at him. "I know they're in there somewhere!" She rushed into the kitchen, after which I heard the sound of the refrigerator opening. She was probably rummaging through the freezer for the pizza roles. Me and John shared a laugh.

I just shook my head. "Whatever you decide to make, I'll be good with." I told him, looking up. "You know how I am." I patted my belly to get my point across. I may only be average in body size, but I can eat a lot. I focused my attention back down at the paper. This recent campaign had given me an idea as I wrote City Rat in the space labeled "O.C.C."

(For anyone curious, Rifts is a paper and dice game I play. It's quite fun. :])

Mihkul
08-21-2014, 06:46 PM
The Crystal Tower

Part 1: The Meeting

Once upon a time, in a kingdom far away, there lived a queen named Katreena. Many thought her to be a cruel and distanced queen, so she spent many lonely nights in her castle. But, Katreena knew she must keep the hard image; being in her position many would take advantage of her. She often dreamed of a simple life where she could be herself and not have the need to project an image that was not really hers.
One day, the queen was sitting by the river, dreaming of what a normal life might be. She noticed an old man dressed in beggar's clothing being tormented by a group of children. They threw stones at him and called him many mean names. The queen thought to herself, "Why should I get involved with the on-goings of the peasants?" But she remembered how, as a child, she was often made fun of by her cousins and how she felt. She must intervene, hoping no one would recognize her.
"Stop, immediately or I might take a switch to all of you," she shouted. The children looked up and fled. The queen approached the old man to be sure he was not hurt.
"Sir, are you injured?" she inquired.
" No, madam. I am quite accustomed to these young brutes. Thank you for frightening them away. My name is Mihkul of Valdor, a mighty warrior for King Asa."
Katreena laughed. "Well, Mihkul of Valdor, you appear to be far from a mighty warrior. Perhaps your days have passed."
" Ah, but it is a long story and not to bore such a lovely lady with such details. Perhaps another day when the nights are long and the wind howls through the forest of Nashor. But tell me, lovely maiden, what is your name."
The queen realized this man did not recognize her and smiled. "I am Kate."
The two sat under the shade of the tree and talked. They found that despite an obvious age difference they had much in common. As the sun hung low in the sky, Mihkul stood.
"I apologize for taking so much of your time, lovely Kate, but I must go back into town before it is dark and the ruffians come out for the night. I have enjoyed talking with you and hope we can perhaps meet here again."
Kate had enjoyed the escape also and said, "I shall come here tomorrow."
Mihkul nodded and turned to leave. She watched as he disappeared around the bend, then she picked herself up to leave. Without a warning, two men wearing black grabbed her arms and dragged her into the nearby forest of Nashor. She tried to scream, but the gloved hand covered her mouth, strangling the sounds.

Part 2: Mihkul’s Tale

Mihkul trudged to his room over the stable. The sun was nearly gone; a thin crimson line across the horizon the only reminder of the bright day that now lay spent. He climbed the stairs as the smell of horse dung filled the dusty barn. His room, once part of the hay loft, was small and drafty. A fodder mattress lay on the floor. Beside it was a crate with an oil lantern on top of it. It provided a shelter from the outdoor elements, but was far from the comforts of the cottage he once lived in
His mind drifted back to those days, not long ago. Mihkul was a handsome young man, a soldier in the army of King Asa of Valdor. He was well respected and, with the exception of the war with the wizard, Barlech and his dark forces, most of his life was spent in peace in his cottage in the valley. It was a modest abode, but the landscape around it provided a beautiful tapestry. He spent many hours either sitting in his chair on the porch or tinkering in his garden or workshop.
When the call to battle came, he was ready. He rode to battle with the mighty men of Valdor with his king at the helm. The first wave caught the vermin of Barlech off guard. The depth of the shed blood nearly covered his boot straps. Bodies of gnolls and roki became obstacles as the men marched on to the crystal tower of Barlech. Gnolls, the smaller of Barlech's creatures were the color of green death, their large, squarish heads had two large eyes for night vision and large, pointed ears for hearing distances. The roki, were much more of an adversary. Their bodies were much larger than a man's, yet their heads were small in proportion. Although not clever, the roki were known for their strength in battle and could sever a man's head with one hand wielding the battle ax.
The second wave was disasterous for the men of Valdor and resulted in much loss and retreat. It is said that Barlech spent centuries breeding these creatures to perfect their genes for the sole purpose of battling Valdor. His quest for power drove him to insanity. In the second wave they encountered the Narden, the wicked shape-shifters that took on the characteristics of the shape they assumed. Dragons, wolves, bears and tigers by the hundreds led the onslaught. the men fought bravely, but to no avail. Mihkul saw many of his comrades die at his side, until one of the Narden in the shape of a dragon knocked him unconscious. King Asa was taken captive and the might men of Valdor, diminished in number to only a handful, turned and fled, leaving the wounded behind.
Mihkul awoke to find Barlech and his advisors patrolling the area to assess the victory. He remained still, as if dead, as they passed by him. He reached into his scabbard and pulled out a dagger, then grabbed the wizard by the leg and sunk the blade deep to the hasp.
Barlech didn't flinch. He looked at Mihkul with a sneer of contempt and kicked Mihkul in the teeth.
"You stupid man," he squealed. "Do you think your little pig-sticker has any effect on a being such as I?"
His advisors quickly pulled Mihkul to his feet. One drew a sword and was ready to pierce his heart when Barlech spoke. "Nay, death would be too good for this Valdor scum. I have a more suitable punishment."
He looked at Mihkul. "You must think you are a handsome being, scum. Possibly, quite the ladies’ man. Perhaps a little maturity will be beneficial to you."
Barlech touched Mihkul's shoulder and instantly he felt the energy drain from his body. His shoulders slouched forward and his knees became bent. He looked at his hands; the skin had become wrinkled and ruddy. His hair had thinned and turned gray and stringy. Mihkul had literally aged 40 years in a matter of seconds.
"Go now, ancient warrior, and tell your tales to the drunkards and the fools as you sit around with a half-empty tankard. But I am a merciful being and I will give you an escape from your misery. No, you shall not die. That is too easy. You will continue to grow old, feeling the pains of aging, for eternity. But, the remedy is simple. You only must make love with a young woman-no, let's make it a young woman of royalty."
Barlech and his cronies laughed a loud and sinister laugh. "I think the chances of that happening are almost as good as your mighty men arising from the dead. Hahaha."

The sun had set and darkness settled in to the stable loft that Mihkul called home. He fell into a restless sleep, the laugh of Barlech echoing in his ancient mind.

Part 3: Taken

The dark men pushed on deep into the forest. The dark and eerie atmosphere lived up to the name that was commonly used to name the woods-The Haunted Forest. So many tales were told by mothers to the curious children about The Haunted Forest. The spirits of dead warriors were to abide there, along with the shape-shifters, the wild hoarbeasts, and numerous haints to fill the wildest imagination.
The man released his hold on Katreena's mouth but held firm to her arm. She looked into their faces yet saw nothing but blackness. There were no facial features that she could perceive, only a black mass covered by a black hood. She shuddered, then asked boldly, "Who are you and where are you taking me? Do you know who I am?"
Neither men spoke, nor acknowledged hearing her. They followed the narrow path through the forest. She could not even see the worn trail, yet they deftly followed as if they sensed each step they took. She tried pulling away, but the firm hold was unbreakable.
A sound broke through the silence ahead. The men, or creature, or whatever they were, heard it too. Katreena thought, "Well, at least I know they're not deaf." A large hoarbeast charged at them. Its hog-like head was covered with bony spikes. Its head was dropped and was coming for the kill. One of the dark figures held out his hand and a loud snapping emitted from the angry hoarbeast as it fell to the ground in a lifeless pile. The neck was obviously broken, snapped by some unknown force coming from the dark being.
Katreena screamed in horror, then crumpled to the ground as darkness overcame her.

Part 4: Disappearance and Discovery

The sunlight glimmered through the dust of the stable loft. Mihkul was awake as he heard the stable boy feeding the horses below. "Git your arse up, old man. The day's a wasting and you’re getting feebler by the minute." The boy was so young and disrespectful but Mihkul had become numb to the verbal assaults. He rose from his fodder mattress and poured water from the bucket into the basin beside the lantern and washed his face, drying it with his shirt. He remembered his meeting yesterday with the young lady, Kate.
It was the first time in many years he had been able to sit down and talk with someone in a long time, especially someone as lovely and lively as she was. She was wise, unlike so many young girls her age and listened to his opinions with interest.
She would return today, she had said. He was eager to see her again. It was well worth the efforts of having to venture through the catcalling and abuse of the young rogues just to see her again. He made the short journey and saw she was not there so he sat underneath the tree and became lost in his memories once again.

After the battle, and the curse that was cast upon him by the evil wizard, Mihkul hobbled from the field and returned to his home. The cottage had been destroyed by the enemy. Nothing remained except for a pile of smoldering ashes. He headed toward the palace and was met by groups of people, beaten and bruised, that were fleeing the city. He stopped one man.
"Where is everyone going?" he asked. The man looked at him with dark and sad eyes. "The city has fallen and the palace has been overtaken by the enemy. King Asa is captive, if not dead. No hope remains." He grabbed Mihkul by his cloak. "Flee for your life, old man, if you have any sense left at all."
Mihkul knew what must be done. He must find the king and destroy the wizard. Yet, his mind was still young. His body was ancient. This would be a task of impossibilities. But he was driven. He was a warrior. He was a mighty man of Valdor. His quest had brought him to this small kingdom, underneath this tree awaiting the meeting with Kate
Kate! Mihkul came to his senses. He had been sitting here for hours and she had not come yet. Perhaps she had changed her mind. After all, what would attract such a beautiful creature to and old, feeble man; surely not his tales.
He saw something in the bushes nearby. He rose to investigate. It was a piece of cloth, torn from a cloak. He smelled it and gagged. It had the acrid smell of death. And the texture was unlike any fabric known to man. He had seen this one time before, in the battle. It was worn by the shape-shifters. When one is killed it will revert back to the original shape, looking like a man, but with no face. And the cloak they wore was in fact their outer skin, not a fabric, but an inhuman flesh. They had been here.
He glanced and saw scuffle marks in the dirt, then a dragging form in the dirt leading to the forest opening. He realized the Narden had taken Kate.

Part 5: In the Wind

Katreena was awakened by the sunlight. She looked around her and the dark creatures weren't to be seen. She was seated on a black horse. It's eyes were as fire and steam came from the flared nostrils. Beside her was another horse, identical to the one she was on. There were no reigns and the horse was guiding itself-and fast. The wind blew through her hair as the horses were headed in the direction of a crystal tower.
There were so many stories of the crystal tower. Katreena counted them as tales of drunkards and old women. The sorcerer, Barlech, and his minions lived there, as counted in the many tales of the doomsday prophets. Yet now she saw it with her own eyes, the sun glancing from it in blinding rays of colors; beautiful and seductive, almost like the deadly Kimando snake.
The horses traveled at amazing speeds until they reached the stone stairway to the tower. It seemed to rise for many miles. They stopped abruptly. The horse beside her began to shimmer and lose the form completely. Then the form returned in the shape of the dark being that had abducted her. It pulled her from the horse and it, too, began to change before her eyes. She screamed a silent scream that could only be heard in the confines of her terrified mind.

Part 6: Preparation and Packing

Mihkul knew at once what must be done. His mission had a two-fold purpose. First, he must rescue Kate from the Narden. These were a heartless bunch and he shuddered at the thoughts of what might become of her in their company. But, there was an even more pressing matter to pursue. The appearance of the Narden freshened the trail of his ultimate destination-the crystal tower and the sorcerer, Barlech. It was there he would find his king, dead or alive. It was there he could exact his revenge on the wizard.
The aged figure hobbled back to town. Much had to be done and he had very little time to do it. Provisions had to be packed for he knew it would be a long journey. Stories told of the crystal tower rising above the Plain of Bejen, just beyond the forest of Nashor. Yet, none had ever returned to confirm that. It was a tale passed down for many generations, from a time of peace in the world.
Mihkul entered the saloon. It was where he would get an ample supply of dried venison and oat cakes. He must not forget a skin of mead. Not only would it quench his thirst but it would be used for dressing wounds to fight the infections that the Narden could easily spread. And, it would help dull his senses in the lonely nights in the forest, where ones senses can easily play unhealthy tricks.
He approached the tender and told him what was needed. A woman sat nearby, eyeing him curiously. He tried to ignore her inquisitive looks, yet she poked him with her finger.
"Planning a trip, are you?" Her voice was raspy, yet somehow enticing.
"That would be no concern of yours." Mihkul was annoyed by this woman. She was not unattractive, yet there was something about her that seemed odd. She was not the usual bar-fly that would sell her body for a bottle of mead.
She reached out and grabbed his crotch. "Maybe the old man has a large set of balls after all."
A feeling of heat began to fill his body, a feeling he had not felt in a very long time. He quickly pushed her hand away. He did not have time for pleasures. Time was not on his side.
He gathered his provisions and walked quickly from the saloon. He had one more stop; back to the stable. He climbed the dark stairs to his loft. The smell of dung again filled the air, but he also sensed another scent. There was someone in the loft with him. he quickly lit the lantern and saw a shadow in the corner. It was the woman from the saloon.
Quickly he reached underneath his fodder mattress and produced a longsword. It was the same sword he carried into battle, the same sword that took the lives of countless gnolls and roki, not to mention a few Narden. He turned to the woman as the lantern light gleamed from the blade.
"Hold your arms, Mihkul of Valdor." The raspy voice was replaced with a commanding tone. "Yes, I know who you are and I also know your intent."
"Woman, who are you, and how do you know me?" Mihkul's aggression was overpowered now by curiosity.
"My tale is a long one, much longer than yours. We will have much time for introductions on our journey."
Mihkul laughed." OUR journey? This is MY journey. I shall not play handmaid to a person of the weaker sex and hinder my mission."
"Weaker, you say? Then let us see, old man." She withdrew a sword from beneath her cloak. It was much smaller than the warrior's broadsword. Mihkul grinned as she came toward him.
The sound of blade against blade filled the upstairs loft. She was much quicker than Mihkul, but he still matched her blow for blow. he backed her into the corner and pushed the two blades against her. His strength was superior and his pride filled his head.
The woman smiled, "Mighty man of Valdor, thank you for the warm up. Now are you ready?" She pushed him away and a hint of spark flew from the blades as they crashed together. Mihkul stepped back and tripped over the fodder mattress, falling on his back. The woman pounced on him, sitting across his chest with the sword against his throat.
"What do you think, warrior? Not too shabby for a woman. For now, you will have to trust me. We both have the same common goal in this venture. Well, maybe not the girl, but we both want Barlech dead."
Mihkul's body relaxed. The woman, sensing the hostility subsiding, rose and helped him to his feet.
Mihkul grunted. "Lucky for you I tripped or your head would be on the floor now. But why should I trust a ball-grabbing whore?"
"But I got your attention, didn't I? Mihkul of Vadlor, there is much for you to learn about me and in due time, you shall. But we must be on our way. It is nearly dawn and we must use the daylight to move through the forest of Nashor. Now, gather your belongings and let us be gone."

Part 7: The Ascension

Katreena gazed at the long stairway before her. The end could not be seen, disappearing in the clouds above. But, it was obvious they led to the crystal tower. The black figure pushed her along as she stepped up.
The stone was like a polished marble, but there was no shine to the surface. Instead of reflecting light, it seemed to absorb it. She felt of it and it was cold to her touch and when she pulled her hand away it felt cold also, as if these steps were absorbing all the energy it came in contact with.
She began the climb and her mind drifted into the recesses of her memory. Her childhood began happily. Her mother was queen of the kingdom by birthright. In fact, there were no kings in the governing of Appollonia. Of course, the queen had a husband, Katreena's father, but the constitution only allowed for a woman to rule. It was her mother, her grandmother before her, and her great-grandmother before her, passing through countless generations.
She loved her mother, but being queen left her little time for motherhood. Her father tried to fill the void she felt, but it was not the same as having a mother to learn from and confide in.
The only children she was allowed to play with were her cousins, her father's brother's children. They were brats, being jealous of her princess status, and treated her badly. As a child, Katreena was of a large build, and the cruelty of unruly children can cause deep hurt to another child. She became more isolated, involving herself in study or reading the master storytellers' archives.
The death of her father brought sadness to Katreena, but even more so to her mother. The queen’s grief was not visible to the subjects of Appolonia, but Katreena sensed it. The queen became more involved in her work, creating even less time for the young Katreena. She became more withdrawn, her only contact to the outside world coming from her scores of tutors and teachers.
As she grew older, past her years of puberty, she explored her sexuality. She enjoyed the sensations her body felt as she touched herself, imagining a young man doing this to her, making love to her. Her climaxes were almost explosive and at one point a chambermaid knocked on her door in response to her cries. Embarrassed, she accounted it to a bad dream. This phase disappeared, as did all her fantasies.
When her mother passed away, she was a young woman. She didn't shed a tear. It was as if a stranger had passed away.
She had never been with a man alone before. She encountered many in her rule, but never alone. She probably could have any man in Appollonia, yet she did not have the desire. She had work to do. Yet, this old man she had met had sparked an interest. He appeared very old, but his mind was sharp and his wit was refreshing. Closing her eyes and listening to him was almost like listening to a young warrior. Yet one look told her it was only his senility speaking his wishes and dreams.
She stumbled on the step, suddenly feeling weak. She must have been caught up in her memories for quite some time as the stairs were now engulfed in a cloudy mist. It seemed the black steps beneath her feet were sapping the energy from her body. What about my thoughts? She trembled at the idea. She must keep her mind more guarded.
They reached a large veranda and before it stood the crystal tower. There were no doors for entry, no windows for someone to peer out. Yet, she had the feeling she was being watched. She could feel her every move being marked. She stopped and took a deep breath. The dark figures pushed her on. She stood before the crystal tower, helpless and tired.

Part 8: The Forest of Nashor

As Mihkul and the woman approached the entrance to the forest, the sun had risen above the horizon, casting a shadow of the city they left. Mihkul stopped and the woman looked at him.
"I won't take another step until you tell me who you are and how you know of my business, woman." He glared angrily at her, his fist clenching to hold back his rage.
"Very well, but if you keep walking I will tell my story. It is very long and we have no time for waiting."
He nodded and the two entered into the forest. The sunlight overhead was choked off by the thickness of the trees and the shaft or sunlight through the opening illuminated the pathway ahead.
"My name is Druella. Before the kingdoms of man, the world was governed by my people. Some call us sorceresses. Others call us witches. Our true name is The Lanica. Our origin is unclear. We have been here forever. We are a race of women. The Lanica was the chosen people to rule the land. After all, who is best suited to rule over creation but a woman. Men have the natural tendency to think with the wrong head."
Mihkul snorted, but Druella continued.
"The Lanica's rule was as a mother tending to her child. It was a rule of love and tenderness, but with wisdom and authority. We have powers like a wizard and wisdom like the scholars of long ago. Yet we had one fault. We are sexual creatures and sometimes our lust overpowers our good sense. This proved to be our downfall and caused the shift of power to be given to mortal humans."
The man of Valdor listened intently as they carefully followed the path.
"Many years ago, when mortal humans became more and more, our leader, the most powerful of the Lanica, decided she would learn more of this strange breed you call mankind. Her name was Tawn, and her curiosity proved to be her demise. She went into the village of man and was amazed at the different emotions you could sense. There was love and hatred, greed and envy. She could not understand these negative emotions. We had always lived a much sheltered life.
Then she met a handsome young man, so virile and full of life. Her lustful desires began to work. She must have this man, she thought. This was never heard of. The Lanica would never have a relation with a mortal. Yet Tawn was overcome. She approached the man, and they made love.
At first, the sensation was like nothing she had ever felt. But the contact, the oneness, made her realize the evil heart this man had. As she neared climax, it was too late. Her strength, her power, her total being was being sucked from her, as was her life. She died, the first Lanica to ever experience death.
The man felt the power he had. No man had ever had this much power before. He destroyed the village and many villages surrounding. The people were taken captive. He built a stronghold, a crystal tower. Some say it is made from the tears of the Lanica, hardened like the heart of the man. Yes, you know his name....BARLECH!

Part 9: Inside

The dark figures pushed Katreena to the wall of the tower. She braced herself for the blow she would feel as she hit the shiny crystal surface. But, she passed through as if a door had opened, yet she saw nothing that even appeared as a door. The wall seemed to absorb her. Much like the stairway, she thought. The figures followed behind her. She turned to flee, pushing on the inside. It did not move, nor did it allow her to pass through as it did on her entrance.
She turned to look at her surroundings. The ceiling rose to the top of the tower. There was a balcony below the ceiling. There was one door leading from the balcony, but there were no stairs to access it.
The opaqueness of the walls allowed a shimmer of sunlight into the vast room yet the view from inside out was shadowed and distorted. She turned and the dark figures were gone. Standing where they stood was a man, very tall. His mysterious appearance puzzled Katreena. As she studied the man, he smiled a forboding smile. He was neither handsome nor ugly. The hue of his skin was more orange than most men she had ever seen; his eyes the color of flames, red and orange with a hint of blue.
"Who are you and what do you want with me," Katreena demanded in her regal tone.
"Now, is that the proper etiquette for a lady to show her host, Katreena?" He smiled once again, showing a mouthful of pointed white teeth. "I am sure you have heard the tales told by your old wives. I am Barlech. Some call me a wizard or a sorcerer, but those types rely on illusion and slight of hand. I like to believe of myself more as a god." He laughed a laugh that echoed through the walls of the tower.
"Oh, but where are my manners? After all, it's not every day I can entertain royalty. Allow me to show you around." He looked at her, then to the floor. It seemed to swallow them, much in the same manner the walls did when she entered. She expected to fall to her death, yet she felt the drop to be very slow and subtle, as if she was floating. Whatever powers this Barlech had explained the reason for the lack of stairs.
The descent, though gentle, was very quick and she found herself back on solid footing in what seemed minutes, although she had no sense of time in this structure. "Why am I here? What do you want from me?" Although she was in awe of this wizard, she demanded answers.
"My, you are so impetuous. In due time, your majesty, but first, I must show you my hobby." The smile on the man's face was both disturbing and unnerving to Katreena. She wanted out of this place, away from this creature.

Part 10: Druella’s Tale

Barlech! The sound of his name being spoken caused the hackles to stand on Mihkul's neck. This woman, or witch, or whatever she was, had answered so many questions that he had for many years. But, there were still so many left unanswered, and her revelation brought many more to his mind.
"How do you know my name and my business," he asked sharply.
"The Lanica knows all that goes on in this world. It is our calling. I know all about you, warrior. I know of your lame attempt on Barlech during the battle and I also know of your curse. I could trick you into thinking that bedding me would end it, but, then again, I am not royalty and it would fix nothing except temporarily satisfy my desire."
"But surely you would die also, just as your Tawn." Mihkul had been listening and was his nature to pay close attentions to details.
"Tawn did not die because of her actions. She died because of that bastard's evil heart. We should have seen that. But evil was something unknown to us."
Mihkul thought for a second. "If Barlech is so powerful, then how would it be possible to defeat him? To overpower his minions, only to face him and not kill him is mindless vanity."
"This has been debated in the councils of the Lanica for many years. Our strength lies in our wisdom. Though not proven, we think we have come to a solution; one I would not mention to even you. It is not a matter of trust. It is our only hope, and should this information fall into the hands of the enemy or to Barlech our hope would be lost."
Mihkul felt hurt. "I would never tell the bastard of our plans. I would die first."
Druella shook her head. "You would surely die, but not before the plan was revealed. Don't underestimate Barlech's power. He not only can read your mind, but he can absorb your every thought, your fondest memories, and will turn them against you."
Mihkul nodded a silent nod of understanding. Druella continued. "Mihkul of Valdor, I am the one chosen by the councils of Lanica to carry this task to the end. And you have been chosen to help me."
Mihkul replied quietly. "But if I cannot defeat him, what good am I."
"Warrior, you shall be the muscle behind the mind. I cannot defeat the minions and you cannot defeat Barlech. We rely on each other."
As the words came to Mihkul's ears, there was a stirring in the brush ahead. Standing in the path before them were twenty-five figures with bows drawn and pointed straight at them. They were small creatures, with long, oval heads and pointed ears. Their faces were bearded and their eyes were keen. Mihkul drew his broadsword. He may die, but he would take many with him.

Part 11: The Collector

The room had an appearance of a dungeon. The lighting was dim, showing a dirt floor. Surrounding them, Along the walls, were doors, many doors. Perhaps, this would be her means of escape, thought Katreena.
"I am a collector, Katreena." The voice boomed proud and pompous. "A collector of many things." They walked to the first door and it became transparent, as if it were opened before her. She could see mountains of riches as she had never imagined existed. "I began like most, collecting treasures. Gold, silver, jewels. Collected from kingdoms around the world. But this seemed so shallow and I soon became bored. I have all the wealth the world has to offer, but it could not buy my satisfaction. It's a lesson that all men should learn."
They approached the next door and the images appeared before here again. "I collected art, and music, and writings form the masters. It has been said that the artist, the writer puts his very soul in his works. By collecting these works I would in essence be collecting their very souls. Katreena, this is another tale of old women. Most of the so-called masters did what they did for recognition, for fame and fortune. Apart from a minute portion, there was no soul involved. It is garbage.....sweets for a simple minds.
"Now, this one kept me occupied for quite some time" The door became transparent and behind it were beast and animals of every kind. Some, she recognized, while others were quite strange to her. "Beasts from around the world! Some have been here since the beginning of time. Others are more of my creation. Cross breeding those of the land, sea, and air, along with other creatures only spoken of in whispers. You have met two of these on your journey, I believe. The Narden have proved to be my greatest creation yet."
Katreena shuddered at the thought of the dark shape-shifters." But again, I grow weary with this also." She was trembling all over as they approached the next door.
"At first, I thought I would enjoy collecting the dead. In my business they are readily available. Almost like a graveyard; posing them as they would do in their pitiful lives. But then I had a stroke of brilliance. What if I were to animate these corpses, almost like a resurrection of sorts? It didn't quite go as I planned. The rotting flesh was not refreshed, the broken bones were not mended. Yet, they are mobile creatures. I'm sure i could find a good use for them in the very near future. I simply call them the un-dead."
The transparency again appeared and inside were gruesome corpses, hobbling and limping about with rotting flesh hanging from their bony foundations. Katreena shrieked. But Barlech laughed his sinister laugh that echoed from the chamber walls.
"Pardon me, your highness. I wasn't aware you were so squeamish. But now, to my most current project, if you will." The next door unveiled its secrets. She saw men, maybe a dozen or more, hanging from the walls in shackles and manacles. Their frames showed an apparent hunger. They had not been bathed in a very long time, as was apparent by the stench of human waste. "This is my collection of Kingdoms. The vermin you see here are the former rulers.....King Bejon of Vallad, to the north. King Arun of Garlot, to the south. King Asa of Valdor, to the east. And the rest are from minor kingdoms whose names are not even worthy to remember. These are my recent aquisitions. Of course, this collection is not complete. After all, it is a big world, is it not?"
Katreena ignored the rhetorical question. King Asa! She remembered Mihkul and his tale. Perhaps there was more to it than an old imagination. She noticed and empty set of shackles and manacles hanging from the wall. North, South, East. Where was West? Suddenly it struck her. Of course, Appollonia lies due west of the crystal tower. The shackles were meant for her.

Part 12: The Hall of the Pikko

"GARDAR! KEKO NOMNONI!" The leader of the small men uttered some garbled dialect unknown to Mihkul. "MISHNU! ET CARPI. And speak in the common tongue so we have no misunderstanding. My Pikkoni is not the sharpest." Druella spoke to the leader in a commanding tone, undaunted by the show of aggression. "Put away your sword, Warrior. These are the Pikko. Normally they are not so aggressive, but given the ways of the world today, it's not a wonder they are so jumpy."
Mihkul slowly returned the broadsword to the sheath. "We mean no harm and are only passing through your forest."
The leader spoke gruffly, "This may be true, but how are we sure you are not in allegiance with Barlech, or perhaps even one of his Narden."
Druella feigned a laugh, "Ha. If we were Narden you're troupe would be lying in its own blood now as we speak. But I do understand your concerns. Maybe we should bring this before Rolam, your king?"
The mention of his name brought humility to the Pikko leader. "Do you know Rolam?
Druella took advantage of her name-dropping tactic. "We have met, many years ago, at the Council of Royalty, before the darkness overtook the world. I'm sure he would remember me."
"Then you shall be his guest at the great hall of the Pikko. Men, lead these wayfarers on. And treat them with the respect of royalty."
As they headed toward the village, Mihkul queried Druella. "Who are these people? I have never seen such a lot."
"Ah. the Pikko are a proud people, but a very loyal people. They came many years ago, before man even existed. they supported Tawn and all of the Lanica. When Tawn passed, the Pikko graciously hand-carved the sepulchre and carried it proudly in the procession. When Baldech rose to power, they hid themselves in the deep woods. I had not heard from them in ages."
The wood opened to a glade and in the middle sat a beautiful wooden structure. Hand-carved figures adorned the exterior and the wood shined as if it were polished glass. the leader opened the door. Druella and Mihkul had to bend to enter the short opening. Inside was even more glorious than out. The intricate carvings and the wooden chandeliers that hung from the vaulted ceiling showcased the old world craftsmanship.
A long table ran the length of the hall, its legs exhibiting the same craftmanship as the hall itself. What detail the Pikko had, Mihkul thought. Seated at the table was a short, stout man. His beard was much longer than the others. Mihkul would find out later that this was how the leaders were identified; the longer the beard, the more authority the man had.
The man rose from his seat. "Druella, it has truly been a long time. Come, you and your friend must sit with me."
"Rolam, except for the length of that scraggly rag you call a beard, you have not changed at all." Rolam instinctively stroked the gray hairs on his chin and chortled," And your sassy mouth has not gotten any smaller, either. But your beauty has always amazed me. Now come and sit, and tell me of your journey"
Mihkul muffled a chuckle. Druella, though not difficult to look at, was far from a beauty; maybe to a dwarf like this man, but most definitely not his type. She sat beside Rolam and he sat beside her. She recanted the events leading to this point, of the appearance of the Narden and the capture of the young girl, Kate.
"Hmm," Rolam was deep in thought. "This is a most perilous mission you undertake. I'm sure you wouldn't mind if an old king and some of his men came along to help. if nothing else, we could bite their ankles." He laughed a hearty laugh, which made Druella smile.
"Your Highness, I would be honored for you to join us."
Rolam raised his wooden canter. "Then it is done. We shall leave in the morn. But for now, we shall feast and drink, to celebrate renewing of old friendships."
Druella raised her canter, and Mihkul reluctantly did the same. He knew this would slow them down and make them more obvious to the forces of Barlech. But, he knew his protests would be offensive to his host and would fall on Druella's deaf ears. She had her mind set, and nothing would change that.
The meal was delicious. Rabbit and pheasant, , roasted hoarbeast stuffed with apples and plums. And the wine was exquisite. Druella seemed to be in an intimate conversation with Rolam. Her whispers in his ear and her hand fondling him under the table caused his ruddy complexion to turn crimson.
After the meal, Rolam excused himself, and he and Druella sauntered away, arm in arm. Mihkul could only guess where they were heading and what plans they had secretly made. He was led to his room by one of the small warriors. The bed felt so soft under his tired frame. He closed his eyes to sleep and saw Kate's face, so young and attractive. Her look appeared pained and troubled. then he saw her, hanging from a wall in shackles. He awoke with a start, sweat covered his brow. Morning could not come soon enough.

The heavy wooden door closed behind Druella. The moonlight shimmered through the small window. She slipped her cloak over her head and turned to Rolam. The scant light of the moon shadowed her figure through the silken dress. She sat on the edge of the bed and Rolam moved toward her, kissing her lips softly and passionately. His beard was coarse against her cheek. She pulled her dress over her head. Her breasts were firm and her nipples enlongated and hard. Rolam moved his mouth to them and sucked softly, biting and pulling them while his arms were wrapped around her back. She laid back, and Rolam slipped his pants off, climbing between her legs. She felt his hardness slip into her moist folds. Although the Pikko were a small people, they were unproportionately endowed. She felt him fill her with his throbbing shaft. She pulled him tighter to her, feeling him penetrate deep inside. They kissed for a long time. She thought how easily she could draw his essence from him, but this was not her intent. She wanted to climax, to lose herself in the heightened ecstasy. His motions became faster, pulling nearly out, then driving himself back in. Each stroke hitting that sensitive spot. She couldn’t contain herself any longer. Her mind seemed to explode as she screamed; at the same time Rolam convulsed, filling her with the hot, sticky liquid. He rolled from between her legs and she lay in his arms until they both fell into an exhausted sleep.

Part 13: Dark Propositions

Barlech, looked deeply into Katreena's eyes. "From the look of fear I see in those beautiful eyes, I sense you have understood what my collection needs to be completed. Appollonia shall be my western outpost. But you are so beautiful and it has been such a long time since I have had a woman such as yourself, so full of life and spirit, a true regal bloodline." His flaming eyes filled with a lustful pride as he gazed at the queen.
"It would be such a waste, almost sinful, to leave you chained to these walls to waste away with these pitiful souls. But, perhaps there is another way." Baldech feigned a thoughtful expression, but Katreena knew where he was leading. The thought disgusted her.
"If you were my queen I could never leave you chained up down here." He moved toward her with his arms outstretched as if to embrace her. "Katreena, marry me. Rule my kingdom with me. All you could ever imagine, everything you would ever want, will be yours. Become as one with me."
Katreena reached out for his outstretched hand. Barlech grinned an evil grin, his teeth glistening through the dim lighting. Then, Katreena spit in his face. The thick saliva ran from his eye across the bridge of his nose. His eyes seemed to blaze in anger. He slapped Katreena across the face, leaving a gleaming hadprint on her cheek. She winced in pain, yet stifled her cry.
"You stupid bitch! Perhaps you should rot in there. But maybe you will change your mind after hanging in there for a few days. Whether you change your mind or not, Appollonia will fall and I will be their king. And as for tasting that sweet womanhood you cherish so much, it will be like a side of beef. So much more tender as it hangs and ages. Soon you will be begging for me to be inside of you. GUARDS, lock her up."
From nowhere, two guards suited in helmets and breastplates grabbed Katreena and fastened the manacles and shackles around her wrists and ankles. Barlech approached her again. He bent near her and it appeared he would whisper something in her ear. Then, his long, pointed tongue, black as the night itself, darted from his mouth and entered her ear. He pulled back and she spit into his face again. This
time the slap knocked her into unconsciousness.

Part 14: Dawn and Departure

Mihkul sat in the great hall, sipping a mug of hot joba. It was the chosen morning drink of the Pikko, derived from the woody nuts of the jobarim tree. It was a refreshing beverage and helped Mihkul sharpen his mind after the sleepless night he had encountered. The room was full of much activity as countless Pikko soldiers gathered in formation.
King Rolam appeared, followed closely by Druella, who stood beside Mihkul while the king approached his troops. Mihkul looked at her and she blushed and jabbed him in the side with her elbow.
"What are you looking at, old warrior?"
He snickered, "I'm just amazed you are still alive after all the screaming I heard last night."
The king spoke to his men in his native tongue, then turned to Mihkul and Druella. "The Army of the Pikko is at your service and ready for battle.." Druella nodded and they marched toward the doors. The sun filled the hall as they opened and the troops marched through the opening, followed by the king, Druella, and Mihkul.
Hours passed as the pathway became more difficult to see as they ventured deeper into the forest. This did not seem a hindrance to the Pikko; they were familiar with this forest as well as Mihkul was with his valley home in Valdor.. Far ahead, a battle horn sounded. The scouts had encountered trouble. A soldier came scurrying to the back where the king was and spoke the native tongue. The king turned to Mihkul and Druella.
"A band of gnolls are ahead. This means we are getting closer."
The battle was quick and decisive. As the Mihkul approached the front he saw a dozen gnoll bodies lying headless in their own blood. There appeared to be no casualties on the part of the Pikko. Perhaps they will be a great help, Mihkul thought.
The king spoke to the scouts and returned to his position with Mihkul and Druella. "We are nearing the plain of Gembar. Across from that lies the crystal tower. We should rest before we cross the plain. We will need all of our resources. Mihkul began to protest, but Druella spoke.
"Rolam, you have been here before and we trust your judgement. We will need all we can muster once we cross the plain." Mihkul listened to her reasoning and quieted. They had come too far and were too close to jeopardize the mission. They camped on the edge of the forest with the clearing in sight. In the distance he could see his destiny-the crystal tower.

Part 15: Captive

Katreena's mind drifted into her subconscious. She could see man with her whom she recognized as the man of Valdor, Mihkul. But, he was different; a much younger, handsome man. Her body felt warm as he kissed her, then she felt his hand slip under her cloak, massaging her calf and slipping up her thigh. She felt the moistness filling her. Then she abruptly opened her eyes and was aware of her surroundings. She looked to her leg and she saw a tentacle-like appendage underneath her cloak. She jerked her body and a small figure scurried away to a dark corner. It was a sproctle; a disgusting but harmless creature that dwelled in the dark and musty places. Usually quite shy, this one's curiosity had boldened at the sight of a new addition to Barlech's dungeon.
She shook the unconsciousness from her mind and looked at her surroundings. Beside her was King Asa. She wondered if he was able to hear her.
"Asa, can you hear me?" The wasted man did not move. "Your Highness. It is Queen Katreena of Appollonia. The figure opened his eyes slightly and attempted to speak, yet nothing came from his mouth. He closed his eyes once again.
She tested her manacles until her arms strained, then tried the shackles. They were much too secure for her to break free. She thought of her dream and laughed silently. Yet she knew secretly she wished it were to be true. She was oddly attracted to Mihkul. She didn't know why. He was much older than she, yet despite his age seemed full of life.
The door opened and the guards came through carrying a bucket. They approached each prisoner, dipping into the bucket and bringing out a gruel-like mush. They tilted each head back and slowly poured the contents into their mouths. When they came to Katreena, she clamped her jaws solidly tight. One guard fought to pry her mouth open, but he couldn't move them. The other guard took his fist and punched her in the stomach, knocking her wind away. As her mouth opened, the guard poured the gruel into her mouth. She spit it out quickly, the taste bitter and rancid. Barlech slowly walked into the room.
"Oh, rebellious queen. You don't seem to like the oniongrass porridge. Another day and you will beg for seconds." He approached her. She was prepared to spit in his face again, but the guard grabbed her face and turned her head away.
"I hope you've been having some pleasant dreams, my dearest queen. It's amazing how one can become during a sensual dream." His hand reached beneath her cloak and slid up her thigh. She was repulsed and embarrassed.
"Katreena, you would be such a lovely mate. It's such a pity you choose this over me. But I am patient. You will change your mind in due time." He pulled his hand away. Katreena was overwhelmed with a sense of relief. She would rather hand here and die than to allow this monster to have his way with her.
Barlech uttered some strange words to the guard and the three of them left the dungeon. The door slammed shut, leaving Katreena feeling violated and angry. All the wisdom she had gained from her studies of the masters would be of no help here. Her mind shifted again to Mihkul.

Part 16: Battle Plans

Talk and debate filled the campsite as Rolam and his generals discussed the plan of attack. Some thought it best to attack at night and to use the cloak of darkness as their cover. Others felt the daylight hours would be best so as to see the enemy as it approached. Some thought to fight a scattered attack would be more effective while others felt there was strength in numbers and the battle should be engaged as a single unit. Rolam tugged his beard, listening to all proposals and arguments, as did Druella and Mihkul.
Throughout all the banter, there was an underlying sense of imminent defeat. Druella sensed it. Mihkul sensed it. Most of all, King Rolam sensed it. Mihkul could tell by the tired look in the king's eyes. He dismissed his leaders. "I will take all of your ideas and concerns under advisement. We shall meet again at dusk. Dismissed!" The warriors left the meeting area, leaving Rolam, Druella, and Mihkul alone in silent contemplation.
The king broke the tense silence. "Druella, we've been around for a long time. You know as well as I what we're up against. And the men know it, too. They will be loyal to the end, but my heart breaks to send them on a suicide mission."
Druella looked at the king, then a Mihkul. She saw the same apprehension in both of their eyes. "Give me some time alone and we shall gather again before your generals return." The king nodded while Mihkul just stared at her. What could she possibly do that a whole army could not, he thought.
After a time, Druella returned to the king and Mihkul. She had a new look of hope in her eyes that encouraged Rolam and Mihkul. Excited, she said," Let the troops rest the night. We move at dawn."
Mihkul raised his head, to argue, but Rolam held up his hand. "My dearest Druella, our fate rests in your hands."
"No, my king," she corrected, "our fate was determined before time began. It shall be as it shall be and is now in the hands of creation."

Part 17: Feeding Time

Katreena was awakened by the sound of the door opening. She could not tell if it were day or night. Her body ached from the restrained position she slept in. The guards entered once again, carrying the putrid oniongrass gruel. They fed the others and came to her. This time she did not resist, her stomach demanded sustenance regardless of the taste. She ate as her stomach churned, fighting back the urge to vomit. She needed her strength, she thought. But, for what? To hang here and rot or, worse yet, to be used as a sex toy for the wizard?
She expected him to come in, to taunt her or paw her with his stinking hands. But, he did not come. the guards left her, shutting the heavy door behind them. Katreena knew she would go mad if she remained here for long.. She needed an escape. She let her mind drift back into the far reached of her memory.
She remembered her first and only attempt at a sexual encounter, when she was but 13 years old. Her breasts were beginning to develop from little nubs to fuller, firm orbs. She had known the stable boy since they were small children but had shied away from him due to the treatment she received from her cousins. This one day, she had ventured from her studies to the stable. Her mother, though not an equestrian type, kept a stable full of prize steeds. She entered in and heard a commotion in the tack room. She peaked in through the half-opened door and saw the young lad masturbating.
Katreena had never seen a man's privates before, but her body flushed. It reminder her a small pestle, a long hard shaft with shiny, round head. “What are you doing?” She opened the door and closed it behind her. The young lad quickly tucked himself back into his trousers, full embarrassed. “I think we can find a much better use for that then choking it to death,” she crooned softly. She approached the boy and reached into his trousers, pulling his pubescent shaft from within.
It felt so hard against her fingers as she gently slid them along the shaft. The swollen head was purplish in color, with a dot of sticky fluid on the very tip. She lay on the floor and lifted her cloak, exposing her silken mound, glistening with the slightness of her hot juices. “Put that inside of me,” she commanded.
The boy knelt, and touched her moist folds. As he moved his member toward her, she remembers seeing, feeling a spurt of hot fluid shooting across her clothes. A drop landed on her cheek as her tongue reached to taste. She was in awe at the volume and force coming from the mushroom-like thing.
His penis began to shrink quickly and he quickly stood and tucked it into his trousers. What about me, she thought? He seemed to get his pleasure, but I got none. She became angry as she rose from the floor. “So, that is it? Perhaps I should change your name to Squirt, for it seems that is all you can do. Now, I must be gone, Squirt.”
She left quickly, feeling unfulfilled. Later, her mother became angry at her for staining her frock which Katreena explained to be only a fruit juice. She called the boy Squirt from then on, until he was grown and moved away. The last story she had heard of him was that he was married with six children. Obviously he had learned how to use that thing, she mused.
Her mind again focused on Mihkul. Perhaps he would have been a better lover. He surely had many more years than the stable boy. She wondered if he were still able to get hard. She drifted away into a sleep; not a deep sleep, but more of a troubled nap.

Part 18: The Plain of Gembar

The generals returned to meet their king and he told them of the plans. They would leave at dawn, in a group, and march on the crystal tower. The warriors nodded and bowed to the king, their unquestionable loyalty without waver. Rolam turned to Druella and Mihkul. "You will have to remain low in the grass. We will have a natural cover, but the tower has eyes and Barlech will be watching at the first sign of movement and his filthy vermin will on top of us in no time." He looked again at Druella. "I trust you, my dear."
Druella put her hand on his shoulder." Don't trust me, my king. Trust that Fate will be on our side."
Nightfall came and went quickly. All had a restless night and were assembled at the forest opening before dawn. At the command, they marched into the tall grass of the plain. It came just below the chest of Mihkul and he found it difficult to walk through. The Pikko warriors moved deftly and easily through the thick growth. The cry of a hawk was heard overhead. The Pikko stopped quickly.
"Why do we stop at the mere call of a bird?" Mihkul queried to the king?
"The Narden take many shapes and forms. It would only take minutes before Barlech knew who we were and where we were. Caution must prevail above all."
The troupe pressed onward for what seemed like hours. The sun was high in the sky. Mihkul's old bones were weary. Had he still had his youth the trek would not have bothered him, but now his back ached and his legs felt like ropes. He looked ahead at the tower. It was still a distance to travel by foot, but it was much clearer to his eyes. The opaqueness of the exterior reflected none of the sun's rays but seemed to absorb them. The structure stood tall and ominous. There appeared to be some movement in the grass in the distance ahead. It was not the breeze as the air was still; almost dead. The Pikko noticed it also and their step slowed. Rolam silently motioned and two scouts slowly went ahead. The remainder stood still, waiting for a report.
Mihkul watched the near-negligible movement of the scouts through the tall grass. The two motions approached one another; then a commotion appeared, followed by one trail heading back toward them quickly. Mihkul watched as the other trail seemed to spread out and multiply in width and length.
One scout returned, breathless from his sprint through the grass. "Gnolls and roki! So many I could not number them." The Pikko raised their axes. Mihkul drew his broadsword from its leather sheath. The battle had come to them and they were prepared.

Part 19: Watched

Barlech stood in his room, surrounded by his advisors. In front of him was a basin filled with a water-like substance. It reflected an image, yet not of Barlech. It was the image of the plains of Gembar and the ensuing battle taking place.
"The fools!" Barlech snarled. "Did they think they would take me by surprise? I knew of their intentions when they encountered my gnolls in the forest. Don't they realize I have an omniperfect vision of what happens in my world? Release my dragons. We shall attack from ground and air. And I want no prisoners, save one. I want the scum from Valdor brought to me personally. His old bones will beg for death when I finish with him, yet he will suffer an eternity. And, where are the Narden? They should already be on the dwarfs."
The advisors exited, leaving Barlech in his madness. He peered into the basin, watching his army begin to surround Rolam and his warriors. There would be no escaping the claws of his minion. Barlech laughed a loud and evil laugh that sent ripples across the liquid in the basin.
He drifted through the floor into the dungeon below, foregoing the doorway entrance. Katreena was nearly unconscious and unaware of the unwanted visitor. She was slowly roused to a cloudy state of awareness from the cold, wet sensation she felt across her lips. It felt like a dead worm. Then she felt a hand fondling her breast. Her eyes opened wide to seem Barlech groping her in a sick attempt to kiss her. He saw the eyes open and stepped back to avoid being spit on again.
"Oh Katreena, you taste as sweet as honey, though not my favorite. I much prefer the saltiness of blood. Ah, it is so satisfying." Katreena eyed him with disgust and contempt. "Forgive me for interrupting your sleep, my queen, but I wanted to be the first to inform you that help is on the way. Your grandfather-lover is crossing the plain as we speak, just to save you. How romantic that is. But, such a shame you won't be able to consumate your erotic dreams. I doubt he will be in any shape to please you or anyone else."
Her eyes became bright for an instant. Yet, she knew the hopelessness of her thoughts of being rescued and her demeanor changed quickly.
"There, there. No need for total sadness. I am not the monster you might think. I will promise you can be together with him. I will have my servants install some shackles and manacles directly beside you, so he can watch you waste away until you rot."
The laugh came from Barlech's mouth again. It echoed in Katreena's ears. Tears formed in her eyes, yet she stifled them quickly. She could not, would not show any weakness to this evil creature.
Outside the door, a loud screech was heard. "Ah, that must be my dragons. I'm sure they are hungry for some tasty little treats, perhaps some Pikko would suit them fine."
He left through the door this time. It slammed shut behind him, leaving Katreena with her tormented thoughts.

Part 20: Blood and Glory
Mihkul watched as the motion in the tall grass surrounded them. There remained nearly fifty yards between the Pikko, who had gathered together in a large circle, and the surrounding hoarde. Then, the movement stopped. They warriors stood prepared for the onslaught, axes poised in defense. There were seconds of total silence as they listened and waited. A loud shriek broke the ominous quiet. A Pikko warrior fell to the ground. Clamped to his leg were the hardened jaws of a long, black adder. "Snakes!" another screamed as others fell to the ground.
"The Narden have taken on the shapes of adders," the king spoke. "Kill them!" Axes fell, chopping the large midsections in half. Yet they came, more of them and larger in size. Druella looked to the forest. "Akeena vel yawrl." Mihkul was in awe over the words that came from her mouth. Out of the wooded area came droves of bombellos, a large, rat-like creature that feeds on serpents as their main diet. They scurried between the Pikko and the adder-like Narden, fiercely filling their stomachs. Some of the Narden attempted to revert to their original shape, only to encounter the axe of the Pikko warriors.
The sun was blackened. Mihkul looked overhead and saw four large black figures hovering high in the sky. "Dragons," exclaimed Rolam, "cursed dragons."
Mihkul turned to Druella. "I thought dragons were extinct? There has been no sitings for eons."
Druella was deep in thought, yet answered, "For most of the world, they are. But Barlech seems to have kept a remnant."
One of the dark figures swooped down and grabbed a Pikko in his claws, then bent it's neck down and it's sharp beak cut the warrior in half. Another came close but was fended off with a battle axe. Mihkul saw the hopelessness of his quest. To come this distance only to be food for a lizard, he thought.
A cry rang out, but not from the evil that had them under seige. This cry came from the borders of the plain. From the north, from the south, from the east, and from the west. Druella smiled, "Our help has arrived."
"What is this, Druella." King Rolam watched as the armies from all corners of the world closed in quickly on them.
"The mighty men of Garlot, of Vallad, of Valdor, and countless others that refuse to be under the rule of Barlech. They will fight alongside the Pikko until the very end."
Mihkul looked at her again. "But how would they have known the exact time and place this would happen?"
Druella looked at him. "When I went away last night I was in deep meditation. I contacted my Lanica sisters. We have all awaited this day to come. The armies you see have only waited for our word. The redemption of the world is at hand. Look to the north, Mihkul of Valdor.
Mihkul looked northward. Floating above the ground, dressed in every color in the world, was an hundred score of woman, carrying a banner with the symbol of the Lanica. Mihkul felt a feeling of hope fill his soul once again.
The enemy horde saw the happenings and soon the battle line surrounding the Pikko became scattered. The sound of metal against metal was heard throughout the tall grass. The battle had begun; the battle that history had been longing for throughout the ages.
Druella nudged Mihkul. "Come, follow me. He raised his sword and edged away. With the battle raging around them, the two came to a large opening in the ground. "Get inside."
Mihkul protested. "I shall not leave the battle like a coward. I shall fight alongside my comrades."
Druella spoke, "It is not your Fate; it is theirs. Yours lies in this hole." She pushed him and he tumbled down in the darkness.

Part 21: A Battle Lost

Barlech cursed as he gazed into his all-seeing basin. "Do these forsaken piss-ants know who they are dealing with? I should have known the Lanica was behind this, still mourning their whore-queen. They all shall die! Release the undead and all the creatures in my collection."
His advisors floated away while Barlech focused on the scene below. The armies of the world had surrounded his minion while the Pikko bravely fought from the midst. The horsemen of Garlot charged into Barlech's forces with swords severing the roki heads along the way. The archers of Vallad showered the enemy with thousands of arrows, striking down the small gnolls as if they were weeds.The warriors of Valdor swung broadswords strongly and, along with the scores of others, took on the Narden handily.
The witches of Lanica floated into the sky and attacked the dragons with spells and incantations that drove the great winged lizards to the ground, where they were hacked into pieces by the war axes of the Pikko.
A new wave came through the tall grass from the tower; beasts that were unheard of and never seen before. And the undead marched on them, dragging dead limbs behind them with ungodly mouths hungrily open. Yet the brave armies remained undaunted, in despite of the rising casualties. The bloodshed had turned the ground beneath them into a red mire. Their breastplates were covered in the blood of the enemy.
Rolam had little time to celebrate any victory as he was attacked on all sides. His axe swung wildly over his head, killing roki and gnoll alike. He seemed tireless when a wolven-like Narden figure jumped him from behind and sunk its deadly teeth into his shoulder, piercing his armoured padding. He turned around to strike with his axe but it was too late. The teeth severed his artery and he quickly bled out. An arrow pierced the heart of the Narden beast and two Pikko warriors came to Rolam's lifeless body. Both bowed in a heartfelt respect, then covered the body with a nearby cloak, to retrieve later. Rolam would have a hero's funeral.
Barlech stood in shock as he saw his dark armies fall one after another. Soon his enemies would be at the tower walls. He sneered, knowing the walls were impenetrable. His armies could be rebuilt, in time. This was merely a lost battle, but the war would continue. It was only a delay in his plan, he thought. He would rule the world. He was the master of his own fate. He was a god above gods.
His thoughts continued pumping his ego, softening the defeat he had experienced. He had the need to go to Katreena, yet he was engulfed in the battle before him. In due time, he thought, he would take care of her. There was no hurry; she was secure and would not be going anywhere.
In the dungeon below, Katreena barely heard the commotion outside. It sounded so distant and surreal. She nodded her head into a troubled sleep once again.

Part 22: Beneath the Plain

Mihkul landed in a crumpled heap on the floor beneath the hole. The sunlight shone through. He looked around and saw a dark tunnel ahead of him. A thump beside him caused him to draw his sword.
"Put away that thing before someone gets hurt." It was the voice of Druella.
"Why did you push me down this hole?" Mihkul questioned angrily. "I told you my place was in battle."
"And I told you your place was in this hole, warrior. It is their fate to fight the battle and yours lies ahead, with me." Druella quietly spoke some incantation and her hand blazed with light, showing the long tunnel ahead. "The armies will never be able to enter the crystal tower. The outside is impenetrable. But we shall enter from beneath.
Mihkul, of Valdor, you don't understand fate like I do. I have seen how fate has shaped all things of the world, how each action creates another action, then another and another. The more you see this the better understanding you have of fate. When you toss a pebble into a lake, it creates a ripple across the water. or when the breeze blows enough to topple a tree onto a cottage. The action of the wind caused the action of the tree, which caused the action on the cottage. And if the people living in the house were not injured, they may move on to another village, and their impact can affect those around them. It is fate which controls these actions for it was not the people or the cottage that brought the winds. Yet, the effect they have on others is all part of the plan of destiny, or Fate."
Mihkul pondered her words. Strangely, they were making sense to him. "So what is my Fate, Druella?"
"Ah, that is something I do not know. But to this point, Fate has brought you this far with me. I know of my fate and also know you play a big part of it. Enough philosophy for now, we must make haste to the base of the tower."
The light showed clearly the path ahead. "How did this tunnel get here?" queried Mihkul.
"An ancient people of long ago, the Molechs, created this as an escape route from their village under the mount where the crystal tower now lies. They have all passed on. But they accomplished their fate for the moment we are in now and their kind will be remembered for their part in this important day. Can you not see it. We did not meet by accident. There is no such thing. It was fate that brought us together, for this purpose before us."
Everything became clearer for Mihkul.....the battle for Valdor, the curse, all was part of Fate's plan. But what of the young Kate? If there in fact was no such thing as accidents, what role did she play in Mihkul's fate?
The tunnel seemed to end. Above their heads was a wooden grating. A dim light came from the opening. Mihkul stretched upwards to peer through the grating. He grasped it in his hands and shook it. It was loose in the stone above. He pushed upward and it lifted, but not enough he could push it to the side. He was not tall enough.
"Warrior, get on your knees and I shall stand on your back and move the grate. Then I shall climb out and pull you up.” Mihkul went to his hands and knees while Druella climbed onto his back. He was surprised at how light she felt on his old back. She pushed the gate aside easily, then pulled herself from the tunnel. Mihkul slowly came to his feet, his bones crackling and popping. He reached for Druella's outstretched hands. He wondered if her small arms could lift his heavy frame as he had no means to help her, but she easily pulled his head from the pit and he grabbed the edge with his arms.
He looked around the room and saw the frail shapes of men, wasted away from years of neglect and abuse. He gasped. It was his king, King Asa. He hardly recognized him, yet he knew it was him. Then a feeling of nausea crept over him as he looked beside his king. It was Kate, her lifeless form hanging there. Perhaps he was too late. He pulled out of the hole and rushed to her. He felt a pulse and his heart jumped. She was alive!

Part 23: Assault on the Crystal Tower

The futile assault on the tower began. Arrows deflected from the sides. Swords and axes were bent and broken. The Lanica attempted countless spells and incantations to no avail. The Crystal Tower remained steadfastly ominous.
Inside, Barlech watched and laughed. He was secure in his fortress, nothing could enter unless he allowed it. Soon, he thought, the vermin scum would become weary and would return to their pitiful villages. Then, in a month, or maybe a year, Barlech would attack again, but this time there would be no remnant left to revolt. This time he would wipe them from the world.
He gazed into the basin once more to see the battlefield. Bodies of his army lay lifeless beside those of his enemies. How ironic, he thought, that they should die side by side almost like allies instead of enemies. He looked over the dead. There was the Pikko king, covered in a cloak. His eyes searched more. Where was the old man from Valdor and the whore-witch? He shifted his gaze to the armies below, at the tower's walls. he did not see a trace of them there. Panic rose from his black heart to his throat. Where could they have gone?
His mind turned to the queen. But surely they couldn't get to her, he thought. They have no way to enter unless I let them. Yet, there was still some uncertainty in his thoughts. he could not leave his post now, and he felt confident if something was amiss the guards would have sounded the alarm. He relaxed a bit, then went back to watching the assault on the crystal tower. But the feeling of uneasiness remained.

Part 24: Unchained

The heavy wooden door swung open and the two guards came storming in. Mihkul jumped to his feet and swung his heavy broadsword. The first guard's head toppled from his shoulders. The body continued toward him, then fell to the floor. Mihkul remembered later how this reminded him of a chicken being prepared for dinner. The second guard stopped as Mihkul thrust the sword through him and with a twisting motion, enough to damage any internal organs there were, then withdrew the bloodied blade. He ran back to Katreena's side.
"Kate, Kate! It is Mihkul. Damn it, Kate, open your eyes." Her eyes opened slightly and a weak smile crossed her face. Mihkul pulled on the chains to no avail. "Druella, I could use some help over here." The sorceress touched the shackles and uttered some strange words and the shackles opened. Then she touched the manacles and they opened also. Katreena's limp body fell into the Mihkul's arms.
He remembered the provisions he had brought with him. He reached into his pack and slowly gave her drink from his skin of mead. She drank it quickly, causing her to sputter. She caught her breath and once again drank. The fluid seemed to rejuvenate her somewhat. Mihkul remembered the oat cakes, which she ate hungrily.
Druella spoke quickly. "Take her from this room quickly. Barlech knows we are here."
Mihkul protested. "I cannot leave you alone to face that bastard. I will fight with you."
"Your sword is no match for the wizard. I can handle myself. You must think of the girl. Take her from here and hide. You will know when it is safe to come out. I will wait here for my battle with Barlech"
Mihkul knew she was right. A sword was no match to the wizard's power. he must protect Kate at all cost. he lifted her from the floor and carried her through the door. Outside there were many doors surrounding the bare floor. They were open and the rooms were empty. Mihkul carried Katreena into one of the rooms and sat her in a far corner. He drew his sword and sat beside her, giving her more to drink from his skin.
The color began to return to her face and Mihkul gazed at her beauty. Even after the pain she endured, her smooth skin and high cheekbones were very attractive to the old warrior. She looked into his eyes, the sparkle returning to her dark eyes.
"You saved my life, Mihkul. It was as I dreamed."
"Enough, Kate. Reserve your thanks for when we are out of this forsaken place."
She picked her head up, and holding Mihkul's head in her hands, she kissed him. The sensation coursing through Mihkul's body was something he had never felt before. He felt his groin thicken as he kissed her deeply, their tongues brushing.
"I am still a virgin," Kate whispered. "I do not want to die as such. Make love to me, Mihkul."
She slid her hand across his lap and felt the hardness in his loins. It caused her to shiver. She slipped inside of his trousers and felt the throbbing shaft in her hand. She kissed him again.
Mihkul's body felt like a tense rope ready to snap. His hand slipped underneath her frock, feeling the softness of her thighs, then her soft, silken mound. His fingers traced the moist folds, then he slipped one inside of her, softly exploring her hot wetness.
He laid her back and lifted her frock over her head, exposing her soft, large breasts. Her nipples were erect and elongated and he gently sucked them, softly biting and pulling them with his teeth.
He pulled his trousers down and slowly slipped his swollen shaft inside of her. She gasped slightly as her virginity became broken, then pulled Mihkul hard against her, forcing him deep inside. She arched her body against his pelvis and Mihkul pushed faster and harder. He felt the pressure built within him and exploded inside her wet folds. Both screamed a muffled scream and he collapsed on top of her.
She felt his hot load dripping across her bottom as they lay still in each other’s arms in a silent embrace. They both fell asleep, unconcerned about what might happen around them

Druella nervously awaited the wizard. It was not a question of if he would come, but when he would come. Her thoughts jumped from days of old to the present, of a young Tawn, then to Rolam, then to Mihkul. Oh Fate, she thought, how cruel it sometimes can be.
The door swung open and Barlech stood before her. "Where is the bitch-queen, Whore?" he snarled at her.
"No need to concern yourself with them. I have everything you want here." She opened her cloak revealing her beautiful, shapely body. "They can wait, but I know you cannot resist the feel of a Lanica around your stiff manhood."
He sneered, his dark saliva against his chin. Druella was repulsed, but she knew what must be done. She lay on the floor with her legs spread apart and said, "It is yours for the taking.
Barlech's trousers went to the floor and he lay on Druella. His hand guided his animal-like member between her legs and inside her. She grabbed his shoulders and closed her eyes.
It was like a whirlpool as she felt his energy being sucked through his member and into her. She sensed all the evil and the smallest amount of good left inside of Barlech drain from him. He screamed and tried to pull away, but she held tight to his shoulders, draining every bit of essence from his body. Finally, she felt the corruption of his black heart leave him and enter into her. The last thing she saw was the spirit of her queen, Tawn, rising above her. Her body exploded under the lifeless corpse of Barlech. She had fulfilled her destiny.

Part 25: New Beginnings

Mihkul jumped to his feet, startling Katreena beside him. "We have fallen asleep. How long has it been? Where is Druella?" he looked down at Katreena. She was staring at him.
"Mihkul, is that you? You look so much....younger. What manner of wizardry is this?" She had a frightened look in her eye. Mihkul looked at his hands. They were much stronger and younger. His many aches in his joints had disappeared. He looked at his distorted reflection in the wall. The wrinkles were gone from his face and the gray gone from his hair.
"I don't understand this, either. Who are you, Kate?" His tone was puzzled and apprehensive.
"I thought you knew. I am Katreena, queen of Appollonia." Mihkul looked in shock and bowed before her.
"Forgive me, your highness, for taking advantage of you earlier. I had no idea...."
"Oh hush, Mihkul. It was the most wonderful experience I have ever felt. To you, I am always Kate. I have always dreamed of a man such as you and now I have you I shall not let you go."
Mihkul picked her up and held her close and covered her face with kisses. He then recounted the tale of the battle of Valdor and the curse the wizard had placed on him. "You, my love, have broken the curse, and I did not even know."
The commotion heard in the dungeon grabbed their attention. Mihkul grabbed his sword and carefully left the room, with Katreena close behind. What they saw was a lifeless black corpse of what was once the fearful and dreaded wizard, Barlech. Mihkul poked it with his sword, and it remained still. there were no signs of Druella. Mihkul turned Katreena away from the gruesome sight and they heard a voice that sounded soft, like the music of the wind through the trees. They looked and saw the Lanica standing in the doorway.
"Fate has been served today, Mihkul. You may return to a life of happiness with your queen."
"But what of these men that are chained here? And what of Druella?"
"These men are all gone, but will be remembered for their brave sacrifice. As for our sister, she has met her Fate face to face and embraced it. She has not only freed our queen's soul from the dreadful prison but has fulfilled the Fate of the world. This structure, this crystal tower, shall serve as a memorial to her and our beloved queen. may they rejoice in the afterlife forever."
Mihkul put his arm around Katreena and they left the room. The wall had opened in the crystal tower and standing outside were the survivors of the battle, many in number. As the two stepped out there were cheers that rang out like thunder. Sadly, he looked across the plain at the scores of dead soldiers. It was true, Fate could be so cruel at times, yet when he looked at his Kate he knew it was also so kind.
"So, what are your plans now, Mihkul of Valdor" The queen looked at him and smiled.
"I do not know. I have been driven by this quest for so long I never thought it would end." It had been a long and bittersweet journey for Mihkul.
"Might I suggest, you come with me? I am in need of a leader to command my army and also a partner to share my bed." She looked at him with a longing gleam in her dark eyes.
The thought of being dominated by a woman would turn many men away, but Mihkul was excited by this thought. This was the woman he loved. This was she, who must be obeyed. He looked at her, then pulled her close to him and kissed her in a deep and passionate kiss. They began to climb the long stairway to the base, amidst the cheering throng.

Mihkul
08-21-2014, 06:55 PM
I apologize for it showing twice. Itried to edit it but it's not showing up to delete it

Omac
04-09-2016, 12:28 AM
Darkness. I couldn’t see through the shadows, it was Opaque, or maybe just a black wall. I kept moving through what felt like black sheets until I came to the end of what felt like a brick wall. It was then I realized I was closing my eyes out of fear and upon opening them up could see the room clearly. It was a maze of blank walls and dead ends. I had to go back to where I started in order to figure this puzzle yet.
I tried to find the door where I came in from, but it couldn’t be found. I suppose it could be like that little house I found back on the road where the door vanishes once I enter. I wasn’t really looking to know. I decided to go to the left instead of the right in an attempt to find a exit. After a while I began to wonder if there really was an exit at all? Perhaps, I was going to be lost in here forever all because I didn’t listen to JJ and.. WAIT! I found it.
There it was a big open path with a wooden door at the end. I started to walk towards it, but the ground shifted as it slide in many directions revealing burning lava underneath. I’d have to find a way to pull the pieces of the path together somehow. I thought I heard someone saying my name so I turned around, but nobody was there. Weird. I turned back to the direction of the moving ground pieces trying to think of a way to bring them together.
An idea popped into my head. It was possible that if used correctly it could keep the pieces together. I blew on my whistle waiting for my pet dog to arrive. After a minute of waiting a puddle of butter surfaced before transforming into it’s dog form. Butterball looked hungry, but I wasn’t sure if you could actually feel a dog made of butter nor did I have any food. Instead I petted it head allowing my hand to become sticky again.
“Okay, Butterball, do you think you can make the pieces stick together?” I asked hoping that Butterball could help me.
Butterball barked back, “Roof!” Before leaping itself into the lava. He easily swam through the lava like it was a swimming pool. His paws splashing the hot material around as it burnt the pieces. He bite down on one of the pieces to pull it back to where I was then licked the edges so they were sticky. Now the piece wasn’t moving and I was able to step onto it. Butterball did the same with the next three pieces until they all formed a line. After I thanked him, Butterball licked my foot before evaporating into a puddle.
After I moved forward and stepped back onto safe ground I thought about my next actions. It made me wonder if this place has a theme? What if the reason I couldn’t find the exit to those walls, was because they were moving much like the broken pieces of the path. It was a possibility and I needed to keep that in mind. My theory was proved correct when I saw the next puzzle. It was a rock climbing set, that went really high up, possibly all the way to the top, but the pieces were moving.
I couldn’t summon Butterball again so soon, and even I could this wasn’t something I think he would be able to help with. I needed to be smart. And, the best way to get smart was to use my mystical powers. I pulled out my starfish gem and asked it to give me the power of my brain. At first it did nothing, but then it began to glow green much like my hoodie. I instantly had an idea, pulling out a bunch of tools and wires and parts to create something truly marvalous. It was a helmet with a small fan on top that could fly me as high as I needed to, so I put it on my head. With that the green lights went back to normal.
It was then this big green jello looking monster fell from the sky, following by two more. I didn’t know if they were threats, at first, but when they started spitting acid that melted through the ground I realized I had to take them out. I’d need something that couldn’t be destroyed by cutting through their possibly destructive insides. So it was time to use JJ’s gift and pull out my sword. I aimed it at the monsters who squealed as they moved closer to me at a snail's pace. I started to run towards them, but missed completely. Man, I’m bad at this.
“Imbecile,” said a voice I didn’t recognize.
I knew it wasn’t any of the creatures as they didn’t have any mouths so I spinned a few times around to see if I could place the voice. I then looked to my sword that seemed to be glowing a gold color. I wasn’t sure if swords can talk or not, but JJ did say that this weapon had flaws. I didn’t pay attention at the time or I would have asked more questions.
“Idiot. I’ve been screaming at you this entire dungeon. ‘Open your eyes fool,’ or ‘obviously you can use the dog’ and you think that was your own thoughts? I repeat, idiot,” said the sword.
“Wait, what? You can talk? Are you.. Alive?”
“Not quite. I have hundreds of souls bound to my very being, I’m a mixture of all those beings at once. I only exist because many others have died. But, your mind is big boy enough to comprehend that yet,”
I shook my head as the monsters started to get closer, “Do you think you could help me?” The sword forced me to move with it as it turned me around and thrust itself deep within one of the creatures. The monster faded into a puddle upon death so these things are easy to beat. The sword moved quick, forcing me to follow behind it, holding on for dear life as it cut the other two in half. “We won!”
“If you seriously think we’ve won then you really are as stupid as they say,”
“Who says…? And.. HEY! I’m not stupid. I just built this heli-helmet,” I said pointed to my totally in-style fan hat.
I slid the sword back in it’s slot behind my back hoping it would be quiet. I then pressed the big red button and the fan started moving me higher and higher until I reached the top. I then saw it. The thing that I would very likely be the last thing I see. It was a robotic penguin, three times the size of me with it’s bloody-red glass eyes staring deep into my soul. It’s flippers looked as sharp as knives. My helmet gave over forcing me to the ground not far from the robotic freak. It then came running towards me with it’s flipper pointed at my throat. I was doomed. I would not be Opaque for much longer…