PDA

View Full Version : (September) Prompt #1 - Settled

Chat Noir
09-08-2014, 05:11 PM
The first prompt of September is the word, Settled.
Also note, due to the delay of updating, you will have until the 8th of October to earn a badge instead of the 1st.

Chat Noir
09-08-2014, 05:15 PM
If you have any questions about how to participate in this event, please visit the rules (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63004) thread or PM me (http://role-player.net/forum/member.php?u=27079).

Happy writing!

Setsa
09-09-2014, 01:36 AM
“You’re thirty-three and you haven’t settled down yet?”

Once again she has been asked this question by a new coworker who just recently became engaged. This young woman was twenty four, nearly a decade younger than herself and like many women at that age. Were working towards a family or the prospects of securing a husband.

Celia however, didn’t decide to go down that path. What made it worse was she came from an Italian family that was still old fashioned when it came to the family.

“Nope, haven’t settled down yet for a family.” The look on the young blonde’s face said it all. Confusion, pity, and wondering of why. “Don’t ask, just know I am perfectly happy with no regrets.” Celia could hear her mother now…

“Ceceilia..you are getting older and you still haven’t gotten married at least! What of grandchildren for me and your papa. Your brother and sister both have had together 6 children and look at you. Not one! Why do you shame me so Ceceilia?!” Give her an apron and put her in the kitchen, she would be able to imitate her mother to a “T” very well.

The fact of the matter was simple, after passing the Bar Exam at the age of 25 at the top 5 percent of her large graduating class. All on a full paid scholarship she had been granted from busting her ass in high school. There was no way she was going to give it all up to do as her family wanted. There was also the fact that she had no attraction to men at all, she had been a lesbian ever since sophomore year in college. It explained a lot for her at least...the first stepping stone to the realization that she didn't have to follow in anyone’s footsteps but instead make her own.

Now she was working for a prominent Law Firm in Boston, making a great salary, and had a girlfriend of 3 years now who worked for the same firm just a few doors down from her own office. The only thing she worked to settle was the occasional case where some asshole decided finally. That maybe he shouldn't have made fun of or deny an employee that promotion he or she well deserved. Sure she did other cases, but seeing the look in those particular bosses’ eyes of shame or humiliation for their wrongdoings made her want to “squee” at times. Obviously her boss knew of her sexual preference and chosen lifestyle, but no way in heck was she going to just blab it to anyone willing to listen. That wasn't Celia plain and simple, if one asked, she’d say the truth and that’s about as far as it went.

Having excused herself from the current conversation of the lady’s wedding. This being from others who were in the break room during their lunch hour. Celia took her bowl of soup that was still steaming from the microwave. Back to her large office, her couch was good as any place to have lunch when she wanted privacy. That and if she was delayed anymore from her meal she may have gotten a bit short with whomever made the mistake. Having an early court hearing at 7am meant she left the house at 5. Without breakfast and hell… right now she wanted food!

A few minutes after sitting down on ‘trusty Al’; her name for the couch that she’s slept on quite a few times during late nights. She’d see a pair of black high heels in the open doorway of her office.

“You had that look on your face when you passed…..”

Serena would say as she looked at her girlfriend sitting on the couch in her business pant suit. “Did you really think I wouldn't notice even while on the phone?” She would ask stepping inside the office to quietly close the door behind her.

A smirk would play upon her lips as the word "busted" came to the front of her mind. Any more and it the word would be displayed across her forehead in flashing neon lights. "Well one can always hope right?" Celia would point out while sitting up straight "it was nothing really. Just that new girl Kari talking about her engagment and all the others flocking over to talk about it in the lunch room." She would reassure Serena as the other woman walked over to sit down beside her. Taking the offered spoonfull of soup that Celia had near Serena's sweet lips. Taking the moment to enjoy the warm of the broth and few bites of noodles and veggies that played a symphony of delicious goodness in her mouth. Serena would swallow before speaking again. "Well before you get too comfortable, that phone call I was on was meant for you. It was a personal call that the receptionist was urged to send through so I offered to take it."

Curiosity taking over, Celia would reposition herself so she was seated at an angle to speak more face to face. "Ohh? Who was it?"

"Your mother hun, she was just going to leave a message to assure you got it. But since she remembers me as your friend from the few times we all have met up for lunch. I am to urge you to..." taking a moment to grin and get the right voice of Celia's mother to quote with.

"Come home this weekend for a family dinner. It has been almost six months since she has came by on her father's birthday and I want to see her on HER birthday!" An even bigger grin came to her face knowing she had nailed the imitation pretty well. "I was even invited with it known I wasn't allowed to say "no." So are we going to least consider going? Or am I going to have to bug you about it tonight at dinner when you are in that lovely dress I just got you last month?"

Tonight's dinner Celia had made reservations for four months ago, one of those fancier places that they enjoyed going to once in a while. Next Two weeks from now was going to be their four year anniversary and tonight she was going to propose.

"Alright..." Celia would agree nodding her head. "You make hotel reservations and we'll go for the weekend." Thinking that this weekend would be about the best time as any to break the news to her family...

To tell them that she was finally going to settle down...

Just her way...

m139
08-23-2015, 07:52 PM
Part one of the September Story
Next Installment (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65398&p=2593593&viewfull=1#post2593593)

The men and women sat around the table, each in their well pressed business suits, with a grave look etched into each of their faces. At one end of the table, an older man wrote on some paper in front of him, but the other ten, divided evenly between the table's two sides, sat in silence. In front of each of them was a small glass of water, but from the looks of it, none of them had been touched. Yet this meeting had gone on for a very long time.

The room itself was very plain, and looked as formal as the people inside of it. It was painted a shade just off white, and the carpet of the room was that exact shade of gray where one looking at it wonders whether the color is natural or the carpet just needs a good cleaning. There wasn't much space in the room, either. There was just enough room for the table, and just enough for the eleven chairs, so that if someone entered the room from the single door opposite of the man, they would have just enough room to circumnavigate the table without touching anyone or anything. Behind the man was the only window: it was from wall to wall, from ceiling to ceiling. Outside, it was raining, and the shadows of the clouds darkened the once white buildings.

Inside, it was just as grim. All were silent, and the only sound that could be heard was the pen of the man as it ran across the papers. Each one was consumed with their own thoughts, each one both hoping for and dreading the moment when the man would stop writing and again look up at them all.

"I can't believe it's all come to this," thought one, "after all we did, after all we were trying to do."

"It was inevitable. It would end, it would happen. I was just hoping the end would be somewhat different, or at least not so hard." thought another.

"I knew it would fail. I just kept hoping it wouldn't." was the though in yet another's mind.

"We must do what we must do its necessary. For ourselves. For them."

"It's a sad day. Look, the world is crying with us. But like the storm, which destroys and creates, so shall we. It is only natural."

All around the table, uneasy thoughts floated in each person's mind, as they contemplated the action about to take place. When the man finally stopped writing, and put down his pen, and looked up, those around the table did nothing, yet it seemed as if the tension in the room had increased. A giant streak of lightning flashed across the window, lighting up the entire room, and the great roar of thunder that followed rattled the windows, startling all except the man on the end. As if it was nothing, he began to read, his voice competing with the overpowering voice of nature:

"... know what we must do. I now bring Proposition 4351n to the table, a work which all of us have both revised and know practically by heart." He paused, looking down at what was in front of it. "You have all read it, I suppose?"

The question, which was not so much a question as a general statement expected to be agreed upon was met with its predicted response: at once, all ten heads nodded once in unison.

"Good." The man looked briefly at his papers, then back at the others and continued, "There has been only one new amendment since our last meeting." He again looked down, and continued, reading off of the papers in front of him, "Proposed Amendment 53: That, of whatever remains of the funds after the other aforesaid allotments are made, a tenth shall be set aside for ___, and the rest shall enter the public treasury." He looked up. "Yes?"

The others slowly nodded in agreement. It was trivial, and all of them could have cared less. Still, they were all glad for the slight delay. For the next vote... The next vote...

The man made some kind of mark or entry on the papers in front of him. Then, he placed his pen down beside them. Everyone heard the soft "clink" as the pen hit the table. He looked up. There was silence. No one moved. Even the lightning seemed to stop clashing. All that could be heard was the rain, washing away the world...

Then, the voice of this man spoke again: "Are there any more amendments?"

Silence.

"Let us vote. All in favor?"

Slowly, one by one each gave his "Aye". Some said it slowly, regretfully almost. Some said it quicker, glad to get it over with. And each felt the heavy weight of the decision that would change their world.

The man counted each decision. All ten have agreed. It is unanimous. He marks it down. Then he stands, and speaks,

"On this day, the 25th of June, year 3549, it has been voted, by the unanimous consent of the 43rd council, that Proposition 4351n, concerning the liquidation of project ALF, will come into effect starting on the 26th of June, year 3549. We have voted, we have agreed unanimously, and we will make it known."

And it would be known. All in the room knew that those words would be broadcasted to the people, those few words that would destroy the lives of so many. They all feared, and yet they all were relived, for those words had been long in coming. Now at least, no matter what happened, what had to have been done had been done.

"For better or for worse." they heard the man saying as he sat down. He said it so softly- the others at the table were not even sure he had said anything.

Then...

"For better or for worse, it is settled." he whispered again. He placed his arms on the table, putting his hands into a praying position, and nestled himself within them.

The others paused a moment. He had never before shown them all such great weakness. Was he really saying these words? Did he really share the same feelings they have? They could not bear to look at him long. Quickly, their eyes turned to various things: the notes in front of them, the empty walls, the carpet... Anything but him. And, when they realized the man was not going to move, they slowly, one at a time, unevenly filed out of the room in silence. The meeting was never formally adjourned, but perhaps it is better this way. They all knew the decision they had just made will never leave their lives, no matter how long or short that life would be.

When they were all gone, the man looked up at the empty places. His eyes glanced over each setting, and in his eyes he held a silent memorial for each one. Nothing will ever be the same.

"It is settled," he said again, turning to the window, "for better or for worse."

Outside, a jagged rod of lightning streaked across the sky, striking an old tree just outside the window.

It cracked, and began to burn.