PDA

View Full Version : (November) Prompt #1 - Compunction

Chat Noir
11-01-2014, 11:45 PM
The first prompt of November is the word, Compunction.

Chat Noir
11-01-2014, 11:48 PM
If you have any questions about how to participate in this event, please visit the rules (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63004) thread or PM me (http://role-player.net/forum/member.php?u=27079).

Happy writing!

The Fate Twister
11-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Here you go! A piece of improvised stupidity. PG-13, i guess.

"Ah, mister Everstone! Glad to see you on this merry day!" Said a seemingly young human boy. "What are you doing here, on Farlor? Everybody is out celebrating!". Rohann Everstone was well known in his little city. He was the one who helped establish a good prison system, and made many other great contributions. This time, however, the merry person who gave big contributions towards society, was sitting in his chair, not doing anything useful. He was sitting there, drinking from a bottle with the nametag of "Strawberry Liquor". Everstone was drinking away his sorrows, as his loved wife had recently passed away. The boy only now noticed this, backing off a little bit. "I'm... i'm not celebratin' today... i... what's your name, boy? And why are you here? I didn't think you would be allowed inside the tavern..." said Everstone. The boy, with a look of minor nervousness, moved towards the counter of the tavern, not breaking the gaze. "I'm... i'm just here to get some drinks for the party. My name is Jon Gaarston. Are you alright? Don't you want to celebrate with us? I'm sure the elders would love your company." Said the boy. He went to a small wooden crate full of different alcoholic drinks, and picked it up. He was ready to leave. Everstone looked at him. "I don't know... why would i want to go to some holiday, celebrating someone getting married? After my wife died? Think about that, Jon." Said Everstone to the boy. He took a big gulp out of his bottle. "Go celebrate the holiday, kiddo. I'll have fun some other ti-" He was interrupted by a loud roar from outside.

Jon and Everstone both ran outside, with the latter nearly falling on the ground as he exited the tavern, still drunk. Outside, blood-curdling screams were heard, and the sound of flesh tearing away from bones. They looked up, and couldn't believe their eyes. It was the beast of legends, the monster that children talked about. It was a legendary Volsforn Dragon. The beast was even worse than described, having six scaly wings attached to it's back, and seven legs, each having eight claws, as sharp as a sword. What's worse, the beast had four heads, each slightly different. One spat fire, burning the town to a crisp, the other was spitting acid on soldiers. One chewed on the recently married spouse, freezing her body up while doing that, and the last one didn't do anything, other than watch in every possible direction with it's ten eyes. Everstone grabbed the kid by the hand, and ran with him as fast as he could, to the stables. He took a small brown horse, the only remaining one, and put the kid onto it. With tears on his face, the kid complied. "Mister Everstone, will you come with me?" He cried. "Sorry Jon, i need to finish this up. I won't leave Betty alone." Jon only nodded, and the horse went on its way. "Is Betty his wife? Was Betty his wife? What will i do now? Is my family alright?" These thoughts went long through Jon's head. He knew not of the fate of Everstone, but he was glad that at least he himself got away.

A few days later, Jon was still on the road. With no idea or plan, he just wandered around. Without his horse. It wasn't his fault he got hungry, and the only food visible was his mount. With regret, he had to eat it. Raw. He still had some pieces left, but his appetite was long gone. Eventually, after a few hours of wandering, he came upon a small village. He ran towards it, with the last of his powers, and fell down near a small house. He heard as someone came running towards him, and felt someone pick him up. His vision was fading away.

Some time later, he woke up in a small house. He rolled around a bit, and eventually rose up. He was not happy to see a sword pointed at his throat. "You! Kid!" A voice of a woman came to him. "What is the name of the leader of pigs?" Jon wasn't sure how to react to this. He was nervous, but not afraid of death anymore, after the events back at the village. "What? I don't understand a word of that! Kill me if you want to!" He shouted to the woman. "Alright, he's good. Brave one, isn't he?" came another voice. His vision slowly became clearer, and he now clearly saw a group of people in a small cabin. The woman put the sword on the table, seemingly relieved. Jon rose up, and his eyes immediately fell on the big bowl of soup on the table. "Take it, kid." said the woman who just held a sword to Jon's throat. "It's not much, but it's all the food we have right now. And judging by the raw meat we found in your pockets, you were eating worse than us. We'll cook the meat, don't worry." Jon gladly took the bowl, and started eating like a wolf. "So, what's your story, kid? Name's Leona." Said the woman. "And mine's Carrot. You don't need my full name." Came a gruff voice, from the man in the back. Leona looked at him, with a mild looks of disapproval, and turned back to the boy. "So, what's your story? Why are you here? You're not from our town, and i already tested you, so you can't be a spy.". Jon looked at them both, and told his story. How he was the only survivor, how Everstone sacrificed himself to save him, and how he had to eat his trusty companion. He then asked about this place. What was up with the strange question? "Well..." Leona said. "This town has been plagued by a vicious creature and its master. Believe it or not, the Volsforn Dragon came here too, and on top of that, someone seems to have actually gained control over him. Now we have to avoid that persons spies, and be careful with everybody who comes in town. That question was just to prove you're not one of them, as we publicly said that everybody who isn't a spy should say that the answer is "Jonathan Curford". That was of course a lie, and we now identify every spy, because they say that answer. It was a good plan, if i do say so myself." Jon almost screamed. "Are you saying that someone controlled that dragon to kill my friends and family?" Leona looked "Carrot", after which they exchanged a quick nod. They both started packing some food, water, and other supplies into a small bag. They then handed the bag to Jon. "You have to leave, now. I feel regret, but we can't let you stay here. It's too dangerous.". Jon didn't really have time to think, but he agreed. He silently left the house, while Leona watched. "Wait!" she said. She took the sword, while "Carrot" looked at her with awe, seemingly saying "Are you serious?" with his gaze. The woman approached Jon, and said: "Take this sword. We have another, and one will be enough for us.". Jon took the sword, and muttered a silent "thank you". The woman smiled at him, while the man did the exact opposite, and closed the door.

Jon wandered the fields again, this time back to his hometown. The journey lasted many days, but eventually he came back. He didn't care if he died or not, he was going to fight that beast, to avenge the town. In fact, he knew he was going to die. But at least his elders would respect him as a fighter. He un-holstered the sword. As he approached the ruined town, he saw the beast. It was gnawing on the body of a villager. Jon was ready to charge towards the monster, when he saw... Everstone?! Everstone walked casually out of the tavern with a bottle in his hands, with no sign of fear at all. When he saw Jon, he stopped for a second, and then sighed. "You weren't supposed to find out about this, kid. I didn't want to kill you." He said, taking out a small crossbow. Before Jon could react, a bolt was already stuck in his throat, blood pouring out of the wound. He fell on the ground, his last vision being the Volsforn Dragon approaching him, along with Everstone walking towards him. "I'm sorry kid, i don't usually kill children. But i couldn't risk you telling anybody else of my plans. I might as well reveal that this dragon is Betty. My wife was Mary. And, since she wasn't around, i wanted to kill myself. But this dragon saved me, when i tried to jump off a hill.". Jon's vision was turning more and more black. "I don't know why, but when he saved me, i immediately felt the desire to bring him other humans to sate his appetite, and i felt that i risked going to hell for an eternity, if i didn't. It wasn't me who tamed him, he tamed me. I'm sorry, i want to get rid of the dragon too, but i just... can't.". Perhaps it was the power of corruption the dragon had, according to the legends. Perhaps Everstone was just insane. But the last words, Jon would have never forgotten, if he wasn't dying. "I, of course, feel compunction, at killing a kid. I'm sorry. But this had to be done.". The last thought in Jon's mind, was: "Yes... i feel compunction too, for trusting you. May you die in the most horrid way imaginable.".

Jon's vision faded to complete darkness.

BTW, i'm not completely sure if compunction means regret, as i'm not mainly from England (Or any country speaking english), so if it doesn't, i guess this post was kinda pointless for this prompt. In any case, have a good day!

Omac
04-17-2016, 05:41 AM
Compunction means the feeling of guilt. That word isn’t good enough to describe the feeling I have right now. I messed up in a battle against a monster and my new cyclops friend was badly injured in a way that she wouldn’t be able to complete the quest to collect a crystal so I can return to my correct body with me. Now I was on the road with the girl I despised and I couldn’t be angry enough.
She was singing a song about traveling, but I couldn’t quite place it. I’ve heard it before like it was out of some musical event that I participated in. I could vaguely remember a friend and I helping move things for some sort of play. I could visualize myself dropping something onto someone’s foot, then me and a second friend dropping a whole bucket of paint onto the stage… both events were my fault.
“Can you shut up already?” I snapped at her.
“Calm down,” Nat waved her hand in the air continuing to sing, “Piper loves this song,”
I rolled my eyes, “Well, I’m not your boyfriend so how about we call it quits here, alright? I’m so sick of you singing that song…”
She shook the cage in her hands with the bird I captured inside, “We’re about to that store that Nancy told us about. I’m not sure how much you’ll get for a pointless bird....”
“Nancy said it would be tradeable for some decent items,”. Then we saw it, in the middle of the burning forest was a small hut with nothing else around it. I took the cage away from Nat and moved closer to the hut. A saw a small child who appeared to be under four years old. I didn’t want to seem rude so I bowed in my presence. I then showed him the bird cage, “This is a firebird I captured. Worth anything?”
Their small eyes widened, “Wow!” he then went into his hut to bring out a small snake-tail looking baby rattle. “I shall er.. Trade.. This with ya?”
I didn’t think that item would come in handy, but I figured it was better than carrying a big bird cage. I nodded handing him the cage, he could hardly pick it and even fell backwards before placing it next to him. I took the raddle from him, but it didn’t do anything. Then I could feel my starfish gem start to burn so I pulled it out. It started to glow black.
“I-Is that the mystical gem?” the child asked.
“Back off,” Nat tried to say, but I pulled her back.
“Uh, yeah. It gives me all sorts of powers and even lets me switch places with the Pied Piper. I’m Omac, the king, in this body,” I replied while holding Nat by the arm, “Let me handle this,” I whispered.
The child jumped up and down, “Yay! This means that snake rattle I gave you will help you very much, very much, very much, so, so, so!”. They were sure talking a lot of words for a four year old. “You see according to legend you must be the chosen one, or ones because there is you and Piper, and that means you both are meant to go on epic adventures. Mainly you, but using Piper’s abilities and powers. Have you unlocked transformation yet?”
“Transformation? That’s a mighty big word, you speak well for such a young age…”
“YOUNG?! I’m four hundred and sixty two for a matter of fact. I take huge offense of this,” he turns around, but only for a second, “Ah! I will show you how to use your powers as Piper. Turn your gem on,”
“Oh, I’m sorry..” I said feeling even more guilty than before, if that’s even possible. “I uh.. Would like to learn how to use my powers better if I’m to go up against Pip, but I honestly don’t know to turn on the starfish gem,”
“It’s simple,” Nat cut in, “All you have to do is press the button in the middle while thinking of which ability you wish to use. But, be warned Omac and Piper don’t share the same abilities in most cases. You can’t use your brain power on Piper, but you can use your transformation one on both. It just doesn’t work the same,”
“How’d you know that?” I asked.
“Piper was trying to figure it out awhile back, but he didn’t get much farther than studying the legend,”
The not-so-child shook his head, “Do what she describes while holding the snake rattle and watch magic take it’s course!” he stopped for a second, “Think of the color black,”
I looked to my gem thinking of the darkest of colors, black, and then pressed the transparent button in the middle. All at the same time the gem started glowing black as did my shirt. My right arm then fell to my side like it’s lost all strength. I touched it with my other hand and it felt stringy and like plato. Then in a matter of second, a bright light shined and when it was gone my right arm was a green.. Snake! It hissed at me, but then it launched itself up, pulling myself into the trees.
In a matter of second I was moving, my snake like arm grabbing onto tree branches and swinging me from tree to tree. This was incredible. I was moving quickly, flying through the air as my arm did all the work. I tried to focus to see if I could control my movement better, but I couldn’t do much to stop myself from moving forward. I looked to the snake, it’s pearly white fangs biting into the bark allowing me to stay this high up. I loved this new power!
“Omac! Don’t go too far,” I heard Nat say as she was running beneath me, “There is a threat up ahead…” she tried to tell me before I went too far ahead of her to understand what she was saying.
That’s when this pink ball appeared before me. I wasn’t sure what it was for, but I came to a sudden stop sort of just hanging there looking deep into it. So, so very deep. It was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen and I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. That was until it started to blink red… and blew up in my face. Suddenly, I came crashing down to a group of people with red scarves covering their mouth.
One with spiky ears and red eyes stepped forward with a whip in his hands. “We heard you are hunting down the great and wonderful, lord Pip. We cannot allow this. You leave us no choice, but to take you captive and take you to the edge of the forest. By order of our savior, Pip Ciders, we banish you from this region! Leave willingly or prepare to die,”
“Wait, what? You cannot seriously think I’m going to let you boss me around like that,” I didn’t take any time to think so I stretched out my snake arm in his direction and to my surprise it wrapped around him, sinking it’s fangs into his arm. When he screamed out in pain I returned my arm and it turned back to normal, the blackness in my shirt also returning back to it’s basic grey. “Is that all you got?”
The man fell to his knees, “I’ve been poisoned! Take him captive, we must take him to the punisher and let this fool take what he sees fit,”
“No, no I didn’t mean to poison you… I’m just defending myself,”
“Call him,” the man ordered as one of his other members of the group pulled out a cell phone. I haven’t seen a cell phone since I woke up when JJ found me. I didn’t even think they existed here.. Wait.. I was cut off when the other men replied in a language I didn’t understand, but the man translated as he looked to me, “He’s coming and then you’ll beg for death,”
Gulp.