PDA

View Full Version : Avelyn's Champions

Cosmic Avelyn
12-01-2014, 04:04 AM
Welcome to Avelyn's Hall of Champions.
Or, in a less lofty way of speaking... my character bio thread.
Here's where I'll post information on my most commonly used characters, as well as any characters I happen to be using in RPs around the site.
Additionally, if you want to start up an RP with me and want to know what I'm like as a writer, I have a blurb about that, too.

SO. Without further ado...

The Champions
The Champions will be portrayed as I'd originally created them. They can and will be altered to fit the RP world in which they're used.

The Men
Yun/Kun Liao (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68141&p=2513115#post2513115)
Ekene (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68141&p=2525070&viewfull=1#post2525070)
Yura Alkaev (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68141&p=2608482&viewfull=1#post2608482)

The Women
Terra Wynwood (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68141&p=2525087&viewfull=1#post2525087)

Cosmic Avelyn
01-30-2015, 10:48 PM
So, you want to RP with the Cosmic Witch?
Then here's some stuff you may want to know, if you're looking for a specific type of RPer, or would just like to creep on me and know about how I do what I do - which is totally fine.
Totally stole the idea from CartelSaide's thread. (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61822) 'Cause it's nifty and super-useful. :>
I hope the stuff I say in here doesn't intimidate anyone. I'm a nice person, I promise.

I've been RPing off and on for about 8 years now, probably longer - I lost count. If I had to put it into an official "resume" format, it'd look something like this:
2006-09 - Chat-style RP in the cesspool that was MySpace.
2009-12 - Forum RP on a number of forums, including here, GaiaOnline, etc.
2010-11 - Chat-style RP in a notebook with some friends in high school.
2012-present - Chat-style RP on Skype with close friends.

...Something to that effect, at least. The years are probably not that accurate. As you can see, though, 99% of my RPing is done on Skype these days. It's been a good while since I've done any earnest paragraph-style RPs on a forum like this one, so I may be more than a bit rusty.

I refuse to pigeon-hole myself into titles like "intermediate", "advanced", etc. They sound fucking elitist and I like to think I'm no elitist. What I will say, however, is I value good spelling and good grammar. I value good stories with good characters, and I make an effort to put as much detail as necessary into my posts. Emphasis on "as necessary". Beefing up one's post with needless fluff is a major pet peeve of mine, and I get seriously annoyed whenever I see it. But that's another story for another post.

I do a fair amount of research when it comes to whatever I'm RPing, but I'm happy to receive constructive criticism and it takes little effort to edit my post if I screw something up. So really, if I fuck up, don't hesitate to tell me. I'll fix it.

So, I guess if I had to title myself /something/ it'd be "mature". Not mature in the NC-17 rating sense, but mature in the sense that I take care to craft and maintain a good story.

Genres I Love:
Fantasy is my go-to genre by default. I absolutely adore high-fantasy stories with magic and fantastical races and all that jazz. You'll see my intense love for the genre when I get talking about my own characters, but for now...

Psychological Horror - or "mindfuck horror," as I like to call it, is also awesome and I love it to bits. Spare me your jump-scares and shock-value scenes - I'm looking at you, Saw series. I prefer stories in which the reader's worst nightmare is their own imagination. I like stories that leave the readers - and even the players - questioning their eyes and mind. That's the kind of horror that gets me going.

Science Fiction is not my absolute favorite and I'm not as good with it as I am high fantasy, but I do love a good sci-fi story. Whether it's hard sci-fi or includes a few fantastical elements, it's fine by me. I'll adapt.

Fluff/Romance is a genre I had no idea I loved as much as I did. I'll do any sexuality - M/M, M/F, or F/F - and I'll play either male or female characters, so really, go nuts. If you can pull me into a good fluff RP I'll be your friend and I will love you lots. <3

Genres I... Don't Love
Parody/Fandom RPs are something I tend to stay away from. Not only do they oftentimes turn out pretty bad, I don't really know how to feel about people RPing as characters they didn't create. It doesn't sit right with me.

Slice-of-Life is a genre I won't even mess with. Those kinds of RPs are always boring as fuck to me. I need some kind of driving story to keep me interested, and slice-of-life RPs are usually notably lacking that, so I lose interest quickly.

School RPs are... touch-and-go at best with me. You'd have to do some serious convincing to get me to join one, and it has to be GOOD.

Beyond That...
It's worth noting that I am VERY picky when it comes to stories. If your story idea is bad, I will tell you it's bad and why I think it's bad, and I will totally nitpick. You've been warned.

Rating-wise, I'll play just about anything. I'm 21 years old; there's no reason why I'd shy away from a good mature-rated RP. I've played hardcore violence, I've played explicit sex scenes, and as you can see from this post alone, I'm not adverse to swearing, either. None of it's new to me. And of course, for more child-friendly RPs, it's not hard for me to dial it back. So take your pick there. In terms of my own preference? I prefer more R-rated stuff by default, if only just because I tend to swear like a sailor - and so do many of my characters.

Characters
My characters run the gamut. Good, evil, straight, gay, male, female... pretty much anything. And if I encounter an interesting concept I haven't done anything with, I'll incorporate it into my roster somehow. It's just what I do. And I like to think that my characters are never 2-dimensional. I take care to give them deep, interesting backgrounds and personalities to make them seem interesting, and I never define them with tropes and clichés - not intentionally, at least.

And I like making powerful non-human characters. This is where you're going to see some pretty intense high-fantasy inspiration, because the vast majority of my character roster have some form of magic power to them. I pull power inspiration from all over, so you may see some abilities akin to something you might have seen in a video game or TV show.

I'd say more, but really, you'll see more about what they're like when you see their character sheets in later posts. Speaking of...

I do have a canon world of my own in the works. The characters you see have been made to reflect that world's rules, however, I am notorious for altering my characters - sometimes drastically - to fit the world of the RP they're in, so you'll definitely be seeing some alternate versions of my characters floating around.

Writing as a Player
My writing style tends to reflect the personality of the character as whom I'm writing. I also like to quote dialogue of other players' characters - it's distinguished by being "Italicized and in quotes." I also like to bold my own characters' dialogue to distinguish it from other prose.

In terms of post length, it's really hard to say. I write as much as I feel is necessary to express whatever points or ideas I want to express. It's worth noting that I make no effort to match my partner's post length. Posts that have been beefed up with needless fluff to the point that I need to scrutinize every word just to figure out what my partner is saying tend to grate on my nerves in a huge way. Word count means nothing to me in terms of RP. All I care about is crafting a good story, and fluffy purple-prose posts don't help with that in the least.

Writing as a GM
It's been a very, very long time since I've played GM to an RP of any sort. An embarrassingly long time, actually. But it's not like I've totally forgotten what it's like, and I know what I want as a GM. What you're going to see from me is a metric fuckton of exposition in my opening post - I like to set the scene, and I like to let my fellow players know what kind of world they're writing in, so I tend to overload them with information right of the bat so there's a lot for them to go on. So, in that sense, my opening post will tend to be the longest read. I in no way expect that kind of post length from my players, however, and I absolutely refuse to ever instate any form of word-count minimum for posts. It drives me up a wall when I see "your posts must be at least x-hundred words long OR ELSE" in the RP rules because I hate having to force myself to have to write x-number of words just to meet some arbitrary word-count quota. I do dislike one-liners, but given the amount of exposition I put in, there's really no excuse to have one-liners anyway. If the RP's done right, there should be plenty to reply to.

Genre-wise, do I even need to say what I'll most likely start a story for? And more often than not, the story will take place in some variation of my canon world. If you want more information on that, well, you'd have to actually see the RP in question.

Cosmic Avelyn
06-01-2015, 04:17 AM
Yun/Kun Liao
Sorely disappointed with how Nexon handled the MapleStory character/class Luminous, I took the concept and used it as loose inspiration for this character.

Name: Yun/Kun Liao
Race: Human
Sex: Male
Sexuality: Homosexual

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc319/DeathMyst625/Yun_zps7dxovpau.png (http://fav.me/d7u8kud)
Height: 5'6"
Build: Slender, with a hint of muscle
Complexion: Light
Eye Color: Red (left); Brown (right)
Hair: White-to-blue gradient, reaches just above his knees in length. Usually keeps it tied back in a low ponytail.
Clothing: Usually wears robes. His neck, torso and left arm are almost always covered by bandages.

Mana Color: Light blue
Elements: Light, Darkness
Power Level: Very high
Mana Gates: 6
Abilities:
- Healing - Yun is proficient with healing magic, and because of his extensive training, his magic can heal even the most grotesque injuries in a matter of minutes. Even if he begins healing someone, it does not always mean they will survive grave wounds - they can still die of blood loss if the wound is not closed in time.
- Protection - On command, a barrier of light is erected around Yun and his allies. This shield is strong, but not impenetrable, and not permanent. It can be broken by strong attacks and even easier by strong magic, and Yun can only sustain it for a few minutes at a time.
- Dark Magic - Because of the accident, Yun's magic was mutated, granting him a second affinity to Dark magic. Both Yun and Kun can use the Dark-based counterparts to Yun's normal Light spells, but Kun prefers to use them more than Yun.

Personality:
Yun is calm and serious, but also very gentle and kind in nature. He is soft-spoken and easily embarrassed, and becomes especially shy around men he finds attractive. He dislikes violence, but will not back away from it when necessary. Kun, the alternate personality, is more aggressive and impatient than the gentle Yun. He prefers to charge into combat to prevent his adversary from overpowering him, and saves the talking for after he's won. However, he has trouble being honest about his feelings, especially when it comes to matters of romance. Despite the differences in personality, both Yun and Kun share high intelligence and magical prowess. They also share the core belief that magic is not evil, and seek to dissolve that stigma from the world view by punishing those who use magic for evil. Despite their differences in handling evil mages, they both will only resort to killing as a last resort.

Backstory:
Yun Liao was born in a small mage village, out of the way of the world's metropolises. From an early age, he was taught how to properly use his Light-based abilities, but more than that, he was taught that magic was not evil, even if he would be told it was. Believing this, he learned to love magic and its overall usefulness, and he wondered why anyone would hate such a useful tool.

When he came of age, he was given the choice to remain in the village and help teach magic there, but he opted to instead travel the world to explore and learn about the world and its applications of magic. It was at this point that he saw that what he'd learned about the non-magical world's outlook on magic was indeed true - many of the larger cities he went to had strict limitations on the usage of magic, and even non-human creatures residing there were placed under harsh impressions. When he was told it was because magic was viewed as inherently evil, he sought to change that, and began openly using his magic for good - as a healer within cities, and as a fighter against those who used their powers to cruel ends. He became well known as a traveling healer because of it.

During one summer, he picked up the scent of a small cult of summoners who were allegedly planning to summon a monster to take over the area, and tracked them down to a small hamlet entirely too close to a larger city. He managed to stop the cultists from completing the rite, but when he moved to dispel the magic circle, something went wrong. The dark magic in the circle surged into his body, its unstable nature threatening to destroy his Mana system and tear him apart from the inside. He managed to pull himself away before it could damage him further, but he was left in excruciating pain and, when that finally subsided, a series of dark, crack-like scars along his face, chest and left arm, and it even turned his left eye from brown to vivid red. More troubling yet, he began to find himself with large chunks of his memory missing - he would find himself places, and have no recollection of how he got there. He came to learn that a second personality, calling himself Kun, had developed in his consciousness.

The incident did nothing to dissuade Yun from his life's work, however. He continues to traveled the world, healing the wounded and defeating those who would use magic to do the innocent harm.

None yet!

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc319/DeathMyst625/Yun_zps32e1510c.png[/url]

Toyhouse profile - Check here for character art and stuff! (http://toyhou.se/74222.yunkun)

Cosmic Avelyn
06-13-2015, 04:23 AM
Ekene
I'm a huge fan of the Sly Cooper series. So I thought I'd make an adorkable ring-tailed thief of my own loosely based on him.

Name: Ekene
Race: Red panda animagius

Height: 5'10"
Build: Toned, but still slender
Complexion: Lightly tanned
Eye Color: Black, glowing silver-white
Hair: Red, shoulder-length
Clothing: Prefers to wear classy clothes normally, but he has a bodysuit for his thief clothes.

Mana Color: White
Elements: Neutral
Power Level: Low
Mana Gates: 3
Abilities:
Eyes of Emotion Perception - Ekene's passive eye power grants him the ability to perceive the emotions of people he sees. Even when someone is feeling complex emotions, he can see and identify them with relative ease. The power differs from empathy in that while he can "see" the emotions of others, they do not project onto him - he can't "sense" the emotions like a typical empath.

Personality:
Very suave and a smooth talker - however, given his sexuality, flirting with women is somewhat awkward. He is a thief - and a skilled one at that - but he finds no challenge nor fun in stealing from common people, and prefers to go after criminals and corrupt rich folk. However, with his love of shiny things, he sometimes can't help but swipe some jewelry and the like from the odd artifact convention and such as well.

Backstory:
WIP - coming soon!

Name: Ekene "Hyland"

Height: 5'10"
Eye Color: Dark brown
Hair Color: Red

Ekene has a slightly toned body, built more for agility than strength. His facial features are still soft, however, which easily portrays his friendly nature. His hair is straight, thick, and long enough to reach his holders, and is normally well-kept. His clothing style isn't particularly extravagant, but still classy enough to give him a somewhat distinguished air that easily hides his true profession.

Personality: Very polite and friendly, and also especially flirty and suave with men. While not particularly aggressive, he places his job and comrades above all else and would do anything for them. His carefree nature hides his intelligence and high pragmatism, which especially serves him well on the job. In cases like these, his friendliness is subdued to be replaced by a more focused and calculating side of him, but he isn't completely detached, as he often uses his own suave nature to sweet-talk his way out of complications with guards or onlookers. His only issue is when he has to sweet-talk women; having no romantic nor sexual interest in them, he can still be suave and and a smooth talker, but he's more awkward and unsure of how to handle the situation. He's a hopeless romantic and often finds himself pining for a man to call his own; he makes no effort to hide his sexuality, nor will he hide his interest in a man.

Background:
Ekene was literally born into a life of crime. He hails from a line of small-time assassins and thieves. He grew up learning the ins and outs of the underworld and the arts of stealth and subterfuge, and became a prominent member of the lineage in his late teenage years.

Both his parents died young. Alone and wanting a group to call his own, he decided to join up with the Blacksword Brotherhood who, finding interest in his already honed skills, eagerly recruited him. He enjoyed the sense of camaraderie, and he flourished further because of it. He was often dispatched for higher-classed jobs; his charisma and overall classy air as well as his lingering contacts served him well in mingling with the upper class.

Cosmic Avelyn
06-13-2015, 04:48 AM
Terra Wynwood
One of my oldest characters, made in... oh gosh, 2009? And she's gone through I know 2 overhauls since. But she's always kept the name. Her latest overhaul brought her almost back to basics, with her original power. She, like a lot of my lady characters, is prone to being genderbent in some RPs, so don't be surprised if you see me using a Terra using male pronouns.

Name: Susanne "Terra" Wynwood
Race: Vampire
Sex: Female
Sexuality: Bisexual

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc319/DeathMyst625/Terra_Unwatermarked_zpswdjsbmrk.png

Height: 5'4"
Build: Thin, with very little muscle tone. Small bust.
Complexion: Pale
Eye Color: Grey
Hair: Black, green streaks, shoulder-length
Clothing: Usually wears t-shirts and blue jeans. Always wears an eyepatch that covers her left eye

Mana Color: Dark green
Element: Earth
Power Level: Average
Mana Gates: 5
Abilities:
Pyromancy - As a vampire, Terra has control over fire. Since she hasn't trained it much, she doesn't have the same control over this power as she does her other abilities.
Minor Shapeshifting - Terra can take the form of mist, a bat, or a wolf at will. Her scarring is retained in the latter two forms.
Regeneration - Thanks to her vampire heritage, Terra's body can recover from nearly any wounds, no matter how grave, so long as her head remains intact. Even lost limbs can be regenerated given enough time.
Botanomancy - Her sole non-racial power grants her power over plantlife. Her favored means of using it is through creating vines used for tripping or apprehending foes.

Personality:
Snarky and independent, and also a bit of a tease. She dislikes following orders and prefers to do things her own way. She seems to have a bit of a bias against the wealthy, and often tries to trick them - they do, however, gain her respect if they can see through her tricks. She is a practiced thief with almost a full two centuries of experience, however she only targets wealthy people who use their money and power to do evil, believing it to be a means of "sticking it to them." She is also bisexual, but has a slight preference for women, and she greatly enjoys teasing attractive girls - although attractive boys are not exempt from her flirtatious teasing.

Backstory:
WIP - coming soon!

Name: Terra Wynwood

Appearance: Terra is 5'4" with a slender build. Numerous small scars line his body, especially around his arms and chest. His hair is black and girlish in cut, and reaches his shoulders. His left eye is gone, and covered by a black eyepatch, but his right eye is normal and steely grey in color. His clothing style is very casual, and he dresses for comfort, not for fashion.

Personality: Snarky and prone to tease, but friendly overall. He's a bit of a flirt, but it's mostly for the sake of teasing. His carefree nature hides an overall dislike of talking about himself - he will either dodge the question or become frustrated at any attempt to bring up the subject from those he doesn't properly trust.

Toyhouse profile - check here for character art and stuff! (http://toyhou.se/68539.terra)

Cosmic Avelyn
09-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Yura Alkaev
A fairly recent addition to my cast. I felt my character list was distinctly lacking in medically inclined members, and so this guy was created to help solve that little issue.

Name: Yura Alkaev
Race: Human

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc319/DeathMyst625/Chibi%20Yura_watermarked_zpswneyvxyo.png

Height: 5'11"
Build: Thin, with little muscle tone
Complexion: Fair
Eye Color: Reddish orange
Hair: Blond-to-pink gradient, upper-back level, usually partly kept up
Clothing: Old habits die hard - he prefers to wear more semi-formal clothes. Always button-up collared tops and dress pants.

Personality:
Typically very soft-spoken, but he's known for being a very smooth talker. He can also be something of a busybody - however, any secret told to him will be kept under lock-and-key, no questions asked. Known for being very good-natured, but also something of a cynic, often acknowledging the bad in a situation despite also seeing the good. He is a realist, and highly dedicated to his work, but he won't shy from making tough decisions when the need arises.

Backstory:
Hailing from Everest Peak, young Yura Alkaev was a bright-eyed, studious boy who'd spent his whole life dreaming of being a doctor. That dream slowly became a life goal as he continued his studies, consistently getting top marks in school and graduating high school as valedictorian of his class. He moved to Aurora to finish his studies, earning a doctorate in osteopathic medicine, and finally landed a job in Rooksfield. It was here that he worked for several years, gaining a reputation as a good-natured and skilled doctor.

That reputation - and the whole life Yura had built for himself - was stripped from him on one fateful day. He'd been specifically contacted to treat the CEO of a large conglomerate of an illness he'd recently contracted. The man's prognosis was good, and he was expected to be fine within the next couple of days given proper treatment - which Yura sought to give. However, unbeknownst to him, his supplies had been sabotaged: one of the drugs he'd been using to treat the businessman had been replaced by a deadly cocktail of toxins. Yura noticed, but too late - his patient died within hours of first administering what he'd thought was a mere antibiotic.

As it turned out, the whole ordeal had been set up from the beginning, a highly detailed assassination plan against the CEO, with an unsuspecting Yura set up to take the fall. Now wanted for murder, and with no tangible evidence to support his innocence beyond his own word, he panicked, fleeing the hospital and seeking asylum in what he thought was an abandoned mansion on the edge of town, originally just to gather his thoughts. In fact, the mansion he'd just run to wasn't abandoned at all - it belonged to one Aura Celeste, the leader of a guild of assassins. Having known of Yura's plight from the beginning, Celeste agreed to protect Yura, offering him refuge. In exchange, Yura was offered a job among the assassins' fold - not as a killer, but as a healer. Yura warily accepted, desperate to stay out of prison for a crime he didn't commit, and from then on he worked as a medic for the Celeste assassins. At first he was uncomfortable with the position, but quickly acclimated, finding acceptance within the guild's ranks.

Yura makes an appearance as a side character in The Snake of Alba (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73372), but at present, is not a major character in any RPs.

Toyhou.se profile (http://toyhou.se/74059.yura) - Check here for a detailed profile and character art!