PDA

View Full Version : A Paladin's Tale (World of Warcraft Fanfic)

Zibus
12-27-2014, 07:24 PM
(This is a story I started a couple of years back, but never really had the urge to do anything with. I wanted to share it with all of you and see what you think. All characters, unless stated otherwise, are my own creation from within the game over the years. Please feel free to comment on the story, and I will be adding to it over time. I hope you enjoy!)

Prologue

Darkness. Surrounding darkness.

“Dad?” A small, feminine voice fills the dark void. “Dad, come on! Nap time's over!” A tug on his hand. “Dad, let's go!”

He opens his eyes slowly, bright light filling the once dark void. He had been dreaming, he realizes. He looks at the bright blue sky, the faintest wisps of cloud flowing past as the breeze blows across his face. The smell of nearby peacebloom fills his nose while the sound of passing birds fills his ears. His gaze lowers, meeting the bright, sea-green eyes of the small lady perched on his chest. She is dressed in a flowing green robe, matching the color of her eyes, strands of shimmering blue silk weaved intricately throughout. He smiles, saying, “Hello, little Pizel. Is it time already?”

The girl smiles, her long, snow-white locks of hair blowing past her face in the breeze. A young gnome, even by human standards, Pizel was just thirteen years of age. Smaller than an average girl her age, she stood less than three foot high. She leans down, resting her head on his chest. She speaks softly, clearly, “I love you, Dad.”

Jeremiah smiles, placing his left hand on the small of her back. “Love you too, kiddo.” He lifts her gently and stands, setting her on the ground next to him. His garbs are simple, deep brown hunting pants and a tanned leather tunic atop his white shirt, boots matching his leggings in color. His golden hair shines in the sunlight, radiating a glow not unlike the Light he has come to follow. “So, Pizel,” he says, “Where did you wish to go today?”

The girl seems to get excited at the possibility of traveling the world of Azeroth once more. “I have read so much about the waterfalls at Azshara!” Her face beams as she mills this over in her mind. “Can we go there? Please?!” She begins jumping up and down as high as she can.

A laugh escapes Jeremiah's lips as he kneels down. “This is your day, little one. Wherever you wish to go, we'll go.” His finger comes up, lightly tapping the tip of her nose, causing her to giggle.

But this moment is short-lived. A dark shadow falls over the land, causing the once sunny field to grow cold, a starless black sky looming overhead. The wind begins to howl, swirling around them as though the maelstrom itself was threatening to devour them both. Chills run up their spines as they frantically look around, searching for a source.

As suddenly as it had begun, the wind stopped. The sky still dark, the air still cold, but no more wind. A deep rumble from within the earth below them can be heard as something pushes it's way to the surface. An explosion of dirt and stone erupts from the ground as some dark, shadowy being emerges. The creature's arm swoops down, scooping the Gnome up and holding her before it's face.

Unarmed and without his armor, Jeremiah stands helpless. He shakes his head and rushes forward, punching and kicking the dark creature futilely. A deep laugh bursts forth from the maw of the beast before raising Pizel above it's mouth.

Pizel kicks and screams helplessly, knowing what is coming. She looks down toward Jeremiah, crying out, “Daddy! Help me!”

He pauses, shaking his head and steps back, saying softly, “No.... No! Pizel!” He rushes the beast, slamming his body into it as the creature drops the Gnome, her small form vanishing into his gaping maw. Jeremiah drops to his knees as the creature turns to him, grinning wickedly before his vision fades, darkness overtaking his view, the last remnants of his daughter's scream echoing through his head.

Zibus
01-02-2015, 06:23 AM
Thank you all for viewing my story thus far! I again welcome any and all constructive criticism, praise, or ideas. In fact, I invite it! This story is ongoing, and at some point I may open it up to "what might happen next" ideas and roll with it! For now, enjoy, and let me know what you think!

Chapter 1

Jeremiah wakes with a start, sitting upright as he gasps for air. Sweat drips from his brow and pastes his long, golden hair to his face. He breathes heavily as he reaches up, wiping his forehead and closing his eyes a moment. He reopens them and glances around his bedroom. His eyes adjust and he sees the familiar setting around him.

His room is clean, and the works of his handcrafting decorate the majority of his walls, shelves, and tables. Hand-carved wooden figures of various shapes, sizes, and colors are all around. His favorite sits at the table beside his bed. A large, highly-detailed eagle perched atop a log, watching over him in his sleep like a guardian.

He glances around and slips from under his blanket, the wool and leather easing off of him. He stands, grabbing a pair of cloth pants hanging at the back of a chair nearby. He takes a few steps to the doorway and looks through the hallway. He holds out his hand and a sphere of gentle light floats above it, filling the dark hallway with a warm glow. He heads about ten paces down the hall before stopping at another doorway and peeking inside, smiling.

A small bed sits in the center of the room, blue and green silk sheets on top with a heavy blanket made of Windwool covering them. At first glance, the blanket seems to have a life of it's own, rising and falling every few seconds. At the top of the bed is seen the reason for Jeremiah's smile, as the top of a small head, covered in silky white hair, sticks out from the covers.

A soft sigh is heard from the Gnome sleeping there before Jeremiah moves on, headed to the washroom. He fills a large bucket with water and heats it over a fire before pouring the water into the washtub, filling it enough that it would not overflow as he settles into it. He reaches his left arm around under his right, lightly touching the base of his shoulder. He cringes slightly as he finds the large, dark spot there. A bruise from some battle long past that had never gone away, despite his connection to the Light.

He reaches to a cabinet nearby and pulls out a small vial of a healing solution crafted for him by a close friend. He rubs a small amount on the bruise, cringing once more before placing the vial back and settling into the water, submerged to his neck, though his knees poke from the water. He hums softly a song that has replayed in his head for years, though he can never remember the origin. A song both beautiful and dark. A song that makes him happy, but also depresses him for reasons he does not know. He stays here for several long minutes before the water begins to cool, and become unpleasant.

He stands, grabbing the linen towel nearby and drying before unloading the washtub out he back window, watering the plants behind the house. He places the tub down and looks outside, watching as the moonlight filters through the trees of Elwynn Forest before dressing and heading back to his room. He lies on the bed carefully and stares at the ceiling. He did not know how long he had been lying there, pouring over the thoughts of the dream, before the sun rose over the horizon and filled the house.

The house, designed by Jeremiah and a close friend, had glass pieces throughout the ceiling in key places, filtering light through the house and illuminating even the darkest of corners. A warm smell drifted in through his open doorway and he smiled. He rose from his bed, grimacing as he slipped and hit his injury. He walked down the hallway and into the large, open kitchen. The stove was warm, and two plates had been placed on the table. Eggs, boar sausage, and toast were on the plates. As Jeremiah took his seat, Pizel, his Gnomish daughter, ran up and gave him a morning hug.

Her soft voice met his ears with a giggle, “Good morning, sleepyhead!” She hopped back down and headed to the cooler, a new item that they had purchased from some Gnomish friends, that was actually keeping their food cold. They weren't sure how it worked, but they enjoyed it just the same. “You want orange juice, or some milk? It's fresh!”

Jeremiah smiles and replies, “I'll take the orange juice. I like the citrus.” He waits for the glass and takes a small sip as Pizel hops up into her seat, cutting into the boar sausage and taking a bite, practically melting. “I guess that means it turned out good, yes?” He grins and cuts a piece of his own. He takes a bite and smiles. “My compliments to the chef, this is wonderful.”

Pizel blushes and continues eating. The eggs had been made into something of an omelet, with onions and aged Dalaran sharp in the middle. “Hey, Dad?” She looks up at Jeremiah as he raises an eyebrow. “Can we go visit Miss Ami today? She was supposed to teach me how to make some new clothes when I saw her next.”

Jeremiah swallows his bite, looking down at his plate. He hadn't realized how hungry he was til he saw that all he had left was a bite of his toast. “I don't see why not. Why don't you finish eating and go get cleaned up. I'll take care of the dishes.” He nods sagely and takes his final bite before leaning back in his chair. “A wonderful meal, as always.”

Pizel giggles and shakes her head. “You still cook better than I do, ya know.” She finishes her meal and runs off to the bathroom.

Jeremiah shakes his head and stands, taking the dishes to the sink and using the nearby pump to fill it with water, scrubbing off the dishes and putting them to dry. As he places the last dish on the drying rack, he hears a knock at the door. “Who on Azeroth could that be this early?”