PDA

View Full Version : Derpnaster's Artificial Language Thread

Derpnaster
03-18-2015, 05:04 AM
Yes that's right RPA, I'm not only a Programmer, RPer, Artist(Only pencil sketches), and a gunsmith(Don't ask me to build anything for you, I won't), I am now also a Linguist as well. As such I have decided to make this little thread to share in the development of my languages and to ask for you all to aid in the development of the language as well.
After all, nothing builds a language than to have people speak it.
So with that in mind here is what I have made in about two weeks of work.

1 Fehma
(F eh ma)
Fellow or friend
2 Tshina
(ts shi n ah)
Wanderer or journeyman

3 Tshana
Hello
4 Shien
(Sh ee n)
Refers to another person of a different Nation
5 Kiy
(kEEya)
Simple word for woman

6 Thaneha
(th ah n Eh ha)
Meaning welcome

7 Aneh
(ah n eh)
What

8 Kienseh
(k eien s eh)
Kin or family
9 Aureh
(air or sky)

10 Ennha
On it’s own it means speech and language as a whole

11 Morha
(mORha)
Meaning man

12 Shani
(S ha n ee)
Means in a literal sense war, or conflict.
13 Syha
(S ya ha)
A person.

14 Sytsah
(S ya ts ah)
People. Literally the name for a race.

15 Khana
K ha na
A word that signifies past tense in a sentence.

16 Khai
(k ha ee)
We

17 Kehfa
(K eh fa)
The word that means a sentence is in the future tense.

17 Kahsha
(K ah sh ha)
A wild fruit akin to an apple.

18 Kireh
(K eer eh)
A child
19 Kiyha
Similar but a cute version of Kiy.
Also is a name.

20 Hashi
(ha SH ee)
A gender neutral term for parent.

21 Lehn
(L eh n)
To listen.
22 Nha
The closest Aruan has to an article. It is inserted between two words to show they are connected and mean something else entirely, for example
Aureh-nha-lehn
Which means to observe the word around you but translates to Listening to the wind.

23 Tsinah
(ts ee nah)
Tree
24 Soeh
(s oh eh)
Rest or sleep

25 Shiy
(Shi ya)
Go, leave, etc

26 Mahtsy
(mm ah ts ya)
To dance.

27 Ntsahma
(nts ah ma)
A horse.
28 Fehahshy
A close friend

29 Fehyani
Enemies, in the most bitter way
30 Shikah
King or ruler

31 Shifehka
Queen.
32 Yehni
A person of religion A cleric

33 Frehani
A baker.
34 Kahshima
To watch.

35 Tshikeh
Literally Stalking/Spying.

36 Khay
A craftsman

37 Mashik
A ship.

38 Soha
Fruit (all)
39 Oreh
To walk.
40 Maitsah
Birth

41 Tsehma
Life.

42 Yifa
Eyes

43 Orshik
Open
44 Sihafa
Another word for watching.

45 Silah
Silence/quiet

46 Tshima
Eternal Sleep
47 Ksitsah
Magic.

48 Orhatsi
A wagon
49 Ksireshi
A building (small building)

50 Sistfeh
A gathering of people.
51 Naifa
A small bird.

52 Frehy
(Freh ya)
Farmer.

53 Shior
(Sh I or)
Sheep/ram

54 Siehma
Literal marriage or binding in life.

55 Sohasi
To separate.
56 Hasyshi
Force
57 Shifa
Small.

58 Kshafreh
Large/big

59 Kori
A fish.

59 Yiksah
Clothing.

60 Mashina
The color green.

61 Nai
The color red.

62 Tsehsi
Blue

63 Kshaleh
Lighter/light

64 Soshini
Darker/ dark

65 Hasi
Day.

66 Ksehfa
Night.

67 Sieh
Stick

68 frshima
Storm

69 nahash
A kind of stew made of beef carrots and leeks.

70 stifa
A word meaning stiff or strict.
A stick in the mud sort of person.

71 Ahshifa
A title for an elderly woman

72 Frehksi
A title for an elderly man.
73 Ireeh
Silent watching

74 Ksish
A bow

75 ntsiire
Bold or boldly
76 fashi
Fire

77 ksahni
Craft or make

78 Naiy
Food

79 Tsehsh
Drink

80 naeh
Calm

81 Shahni
Slow/slowly

82 Ahmashi
Wait

83 siehts
Relax/unwind

84 Hal
A donkey

85 Mashifre
A black volcanic stone,

86 naehtsi
The Ocean

86 Orehshna
Another word for the sky

87 fashifreks
The earth

88 faina
A forest
Lots of trees.
89 naioh
Stranger
90 maehks
Shell
91 Tryshi
Trust

92 nakseh
Honor

93 hashah
Proof/ evidence
A trail
94 stahksshi
Punishment just retaliation.
95 tsahksah
Dragon
96 ireahsh
Outsider

97 kahire
Brother
98 Kahshah
Sister

99 faina
Elves/elf
100 hamash
Human

101 orshiks
A large stone wall

102 hashe
A term akin to travel or more literally to journey.

103 shiretsi
an inn or sleeping house.

104 ksahtsi
anger or frustration

105 haktshi
a small bladed weapon akin to a knife.

106 shykstsiy
(SH ya ks ts ee ya)
a mountain

107 il
(ee l)
have, has

108 ksshtsya
a dwelling

109 soyts
lie, liar

110 siytseh
yet another word for observing/spying.

Grammar
Vowel sounds.
Shi, eh, ha, i.
Other sounds
ts, y, so, si, sh, k, ire, fa, na, or, ma, ks, fr, nts, oh, st. ks, ni, t, ah, l.

Aruan vowels are the sounds that occur most commonly in words. They can appear either in the middle of the wd or at the end, though on occasion they do appear at the start of a word as in the word Hashi
Which not only has two vowels together, or just two vowels depending on how the speaker pronounces it)
But also has a vowel right at the start.
When speaking thoughts are divided into breaths. That is to say, the sentence ends when your breath does.
As such many People speak in quick short sentences over longer ones.
There are no commas in Aruan.

Because there are only so many ways to combine the fairly limited phonemes of Aruan new words are created by combining the first syllable of the two words.
Aruan goes Subject first Object second than Verb Third.
So when someone is welcomed the wording is not welcome friend. Since welcoming is a verb, but
Friend welcome. Or when describing a mighty warrior it would be
The warrior’s name first (Or their titles ahead of that) then the descriptive text.
Titles always come first before names, unless the setting is informal

Aruan as a Spoken Language. And The People That Speak it.
Aruan as it is known today is vastly different from what it was several hundred years ago.
It started out as a language spoken only by beings made of air itself, as such it was little more than a few whispers and gusts done sequentially to mean something. However roughly seven hundred years ago a strange new race began to appear in the world. Known to man as Sylph and to themselves as Sytsah.
The Sylph were the inevitable result of humans and beings of air screwing each other (It was bound ot happen eventually).
At first these new creatures had no language of their own. But over time they adopted the old language of air as their own. At least in part. Because they were unable to truly copy the sounds made by the wind, they Sylph had to devise their own sounds. At first this was small replacements for sounds they simply couldn’t make. But as time wore on and Sylph increased in number, they sounds began to take on their own meaning and primitive words were formed. At the same time the Sylph had been in contact with other races and their languages. Most of all were men and elves who the Sylph began taking grammar and script from. From men they took the idea of words, sentences and complex patterns of speech. From elves they took their flowing script and a few sounds.
After decades and centuries of such contact Aruan emerged from obscurity as a language. It was breathy, quiet, and impossibly fast. Traits that came about from an odd habit the Sylph developed out of their sheer curiosity. The Sylph simply loved to learn, but they hated just reading books or searching through endless scrolls. They loved to observe, tinker, and spy on the world around them. They had an obsession with observation and intelligence gathering. To the point of them developing a custom wherein on the first time a Sylph observes another they do not know, they begin to stalk an observe them. They weigh all the pros and cons, factor in all the variables, and then make a move. If both become aware of each other they begin a game of cat and mouse as they try to outmaneuver each other and gain more information before finally meeting. When they meet this way they usually become either the closest of friends or the bitterest of enemies. Usually the former.

As the Sylph and their language evolved they picked up more concepts from humans.
Most notably they created words for cities, villages, rulers, and other elements of society.
Their contact with elves however lessened and they did not pick up much from them.
However they did modify the elvish runes entirely to fit their language. Often combing two that made certain sounds when the rune did not exist for a certain phoneme.

The Aruan language today is a fast paced breathy language, One that works very well when whispering and carries many sounds and words that almost seem like the wind is rushing from the lungs, Much like the original language that the air beings spoke, Aruan still ends a thought when the breath ends, when the speaker takes a breath, and it still retains a lot of that airy light feeling in each sound.

Fun Facts.
The words for friend and enemy are very similar to the point where new speakers of Aruan often confuse them. This is a source of amusement to native speakers of the language.
Despite the Sylph being mortal and able to die, there is no word for death in Aruan. Instead they use the word for sleep.
There is no G sound used within Aruan, or even a Q sound.
Despite the presence of the sound for R within the language it is never found on its’ own.
Aruan has at least four words that mean to observe or spy.

Despite near constant contact with mankind, the Sylph never used any of their languages to develop Aruan. Conversely Elvhish had a fairly large impact on Aruan as they share a somewhat similar writing system and Aruan does use some elvish phonetics.
Aruan has words for only men and elves, any other race are simply called outsiders
This is likely due to the significance both races have to the Sylph.

Though many pronounce the HA sound with a little phlegm it is in fact not actually using any.
Though most native speakers even have trouble with that part as well.

The Phonetics of Aruan, Why is it so darn breathy
A lot of Aruan sounds more like the person is trying to cough up a hairball or clear their throat than it does a language. At least to the untrained listener it does.
In truth Aruan simply uses more sounds that require breath than the use of vocal cords vibrating to produce sound.

Aruan phonemes
Aruan uses a very limited set oh phonemes each having a particular pronunciation to it.
The following is a guide to pronouncing each sound
Ts : the speaker puts their tongue against their teeth and passes air between them.
Y: pronounced ya however there is no vocal cord movement when speaking.
So : much like with Y the speaker makes no vocal cord movement all noise comes from the mouth.
Si: pronoun ced ‘see’ but again no vocal cords are used.
Sh: made by passing air between the teeth with the tongue slightly curled
K: sound made near the back of the mouth, the tongue should be slightly curled and resting on the lower portion of the mouth.
Ire: pronounced ‘ear’ however no vocal cords should be used.
Fa: made by pressing the lips together and forcing the air to escape
Na : made by forcing air between the roof of the mouth to make the nn part of the sound, then opening the mouth to make the Ah sound
Or: like the English word “or” however no vocal cords are used.
Ma: simallar to na but with the mm sound over the nn sound.
Ks: while making the k sound curl the tongue
Fr: a very quick ff sound with a subtle breath at the end
Nts: before making the ts sound the slight hint of nn is made. This is a very quick sound.
Oh: Literally the English word made with no breath
St: while making a quick ss sound end it with a t sound.
Ni pronounced nee but again with no vocal cords used.
T: a very quick t sound, almost unnoticeable .
Ah: a very brief a followed by an h no phelghm or vocal cords
L: a sound made by rolling the tongue and quickly pushing the air through the mouth.
The vowel sounds are no different in pronunciation fir example
Eh instead of sounding like a long A in English is two distinctive sounds the e itself is a short e and the h is a quick ha sound.
I is a long e sound, often characterized as an ee sound.
ha is a very quick release of breath abd us simple to pronounce.
Shi is the longest of the four Vowels and is pronounced the most distinctly with a noticeable sh and a I sound as well.

Writing System
Aruan has no witting system of its own, Instead many speakers translate the phonetics of the language into a more common tongue and use those letters, thus while Aruan bears no resemblance to the Common tongue or any tongue for that matter, it still is written in common characters or on occasion it is written in elvish when the author wants it to look good.

Well that's all I have. I hope to see this become a real language someday.

CartelSaide
03-18-2015, 06:15 AM
This is freaking INCREDIBLE! I'll have to read it more thoroughly when I have the time but *subscribes to thread* I'm excited to see how you add to this; it's so beautiful :D

Elizabeth16
03-18-2015, 06:30 AM
Definitely can't wait to see it in Legends! :)

Veloci
03-18-2015, 06:57 AM
This is nice Derp.

Props to yeh.

Also, how would I call someone a stupid/uneducated foreigner?

I got the foreigner part (Shien) but what about the stupid/uneducated part?

Derpnaster
03-18-2015, 06:12 PM
Given the rules I set out.
Figure it out for yourself NT. I'm not here to make insults

That said you'd better get used to thinking Subject Object Verb. Speaking this languages is going to require it.

Derpnaster
03-21-2015, 03:25 AM
Update, added five new words to the list.
that brings us up to 105 total.
Come one guys Let's strive for 300 by the end of may!

Derpnaster
04-01-2015, 05:52 PM
Bringing this back to the front.

I added five new words. As of yet have not needed to add any new sounds or vowels.

Derpnaster
09-01-2015, 04:57 AM
Holy cow this thing is still here.
I need to make more words for this later.