PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Features

G
07-24-2015, 04:03 AM
For ease of access, extra fun features added to the forum will now be compiled and added to this thread! Here are some of the things we've already added in the past -

Jan 21st, 2017: You can now earn badges for referrals! Earn a badge for referring 1, 5 or 10 friends! Have past referrals you want to add to your tally? Just tell your friend to PM a staff member and confirm that you referred them here.

Jan 20th, 2017: The Activity feature has been added! How many points have you earned? Check it out here! (http://role-player.net/forum/vbactivity.php)

Jan 6th, 2017: We now have a featured Character of the Month (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=85567) in each section, and a shiny new badge for the winner! Click the link for details. :)

21/10/16
From now on, our honoured Member of the Month will be looking fabulous with their very own usename colour and user bar for the whole month!

http://i.imgur.com/cIAXNYQ.png

-MP3 Player

The code to add a sound file to your post is as follows (without the space);

[mp3]insert link here[/mp3 ]

All links must include the characters "http://" and must link to an mp3 format file.

-Notepad

You can access your personal notepad by clicking the 'settings' link at the top right corner of each page, which will take you to your control panel. The notepad can store up to (approx) 10,000 characters.

-Dice Roller

A fun way to introduce an element of chance into your games! The code is as follows - the first number refers to the number of dice thrown, and the second to the number of sides on the dice. For example;

[roll]1d6[/roll ]

Would roll 1 die with 6 sides. You can roll as many dice with as many sides as you like.

Miss Devil
07-24-2015, 01:25 PM
The dice roller is kind of cool.

Liono
07-24-2015, 01:28 PM
[roll]1d6[/roll ]

Would roll 1 die with 6 sides. You can roll as many dice with as many sides as you like.

Oh really? [roll0]

Miss Devil
07-24-2015, 06:41 PM
Dragon has now won at life. Someone give this man a badge.

Griff
07-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Fancy.

Crazywolf
07-29-2015, 02:21 AM
The dice roller has other features as well. There is a full description on the dice-roller thread in roleplay chat.

Technitius
08-01-2015, 03:37 AM
[roll0]
I have officially broke the Universe

Liono
08-01-2015, 03:41 AM
Sure....

[roll0]

Technitius
08-01-2015, 05:16 AM
What do you mean sure? Two sided die is impossible, everything has at least three sides, because an atom thick thing still has an atom sized side

EDIT: G I can't roll as many dice as I can, if I try I use up so much bytes per second and my Internet crashes, literally my Internet and my motem and router needs reseting

Liono
08-01-2015, 05:25 AM
[roll0]

Crazywolf
08-02-2015, 06:20 PM
What do you mean sure? Two sided die is impossible, everything has at least three sides, because an atom thick thing still has an atom sized side

Not if it's a virtual dice.

Liono
08-03-2015, 02:12 AM
What happens if I...?

[roll0]

G
08-03-2015, 07:12 AM
We give you guys a dice roller and you spend days trying to see if you can break it.

This is why we can't have nice things. XD XD XD

Heir of Void
09-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Testing

4d6

MysticFire
09-03-2015, 12:24 AM
[roll0]

Crazywolf
09-03-2015, 06:56 AM
[roll0]

interesting

- - - Updated - - -

[roll0]

- - - Updated - - -

[roll0]
very interesting

NecroTec
09-24-2015, 11:46 PM
Never mind - was trying to be silly but it was bad so it's gone.

G
10-21-2015, 07:30 AM
NEW STUFF!

From now on, our honoured Member of the Month will be looking fabulous with their very own usename colour and user bar for the whole month!

Kris
10-21-2015, 09:43 AM
NEW STUFF!

OMG!!!

I WANNA BE ONE TOO!

Merry
10-21-2015, 10:44 AM
You can't Kris, sorry to say. You already have a job being fabulous. ;)

.Karma.
10-21-2015, 11:11 AM
oooo nice!

Griff
10-21-2015, 11:37 AM
Fanc-ay

Tatsuke
10-22-2015, 03:18 AM
I like the new new MoTM banner (whatever it is really called). It's pretty cool ^^ Love the idea!

Summeralla
10-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Loving the new MOTM title.

G
01-05-2017, 10:57 PM
Wow I've been neglecting this thread XD

We now have a featured Character of the Month (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=85567) in each section, and a shiny new badge for the winner! Click the link for details. :)

G
01-20-2017, 06:28 AM
Some of you guys may have noticed a few new things have popped up around the place!

We have added a new feature to the forum - Activity! This feature lets you earn points for activity around the site - for posts, vms, blogs and so on. You can view your points from the Activity tab, next to 'What's New' or from your profile. We're still setting up and testing this feature, but you can go ahead and start accumulating those points!!! We hope you like it!

<3

HaelKatrin
01-20-2017, 06:39 AM
EDIT: G I can't roll as many dice as I can, if I try I use up so much bytes per second and my Internet crashes, literally my Internet and my motem and router needs reseting
My head hurts.. . .. I'm so confused. . . .. YOU CRASHED YOUR INTERNET WITH A DICE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

We give you guys a dice roller and you spend days trying to see if you can break it.

This is why we can't have nice things. XD XD XD

G. . . .. . Why. . .. Why are you surprised? This baffles me. . . . ..

ALSO, I WANT A PURPLE XP BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MINE'S GONNA BE PURPLE. OR BRIGHT PINK WHEN I FINALLY GET TO PICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN IT SPARKLE TOO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Crazywolf
01-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Some of you guys may have noticed a few new things have popped up around the place!

We have added a new feature to the forum - Activity! This feature lets you earn points for activity around the site - for posts, vms, blogs and so on. You can view your points from the Activity tab, next to 'What's New' or from your profile. We're still setting up and testing this feature, but you can go ahead and start accumulating those points!!! We hope you like it!

<3

This new feature looks potentially quite fun however in order to give it a correlation to actual activity level I would strongly suggest that you adjust or disable the points for giving and recieving rep. At most each of those should only be worth a single point.

.Karma.
01-20-2017, 12:59 PM
I'm not sure I understand? Why should we not get points for rep?

Catharijne
01-20-2017, 01:56 PM
Step away for one minute and lots of fancy stuff happens.

Kicks
01-20-2017, 03:02 PM
Bae XD you can't have a purple one or a sparkly one. I'm sorry. I want a pink sparkly one so bad BUT NOOOOO THE MODS ONLY GET GREEEEN

My head hurts.. . .. I'm so confused. . . .. YOU CRASHED YOUR INTERNET WITH A DICE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

G. . . .. . Why. . .. Why are you surprised? This baffles me. . . . ..

ALSO, I WANT A PURPLE XP BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MINE'S GONNA BE PURPLE. OR BRIGHT PINK WHEN I FINALLY GET TO PICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN IT SPARKLE TOO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

- - - Updated - - -

^

HaelKatrin
01-20-2017, 03:10 PM
NOOOOO, SOME OF THE OTHERS ON THIS THREAD HAVE DIFFERENT COLORS!!!!! IM GONNA GET ONE. JUST YOU WATCH! AND ITS GONNA BE SPARKLY AND PURPLE!!!!!!!

Kicks
01-20-2017, 03:13 PM
That's because their part of the Staff here XD
Naz is black because he's the member-staff liason
anyone who is green is either an rp mod or a social mod
Blue is for global mod
And purple is for the admins :D
EVEN THOUGH I SHOULD HAVE PINK BECAUSE I MAKE THE FORUM PRETTHY

HaelKatrin
01-20-2017, 03:34 PM
NOOOOOOO I'm talking about the member of the month thing G mentioned in this thread!!!!!!!! I WANT SPARKLY PURPLE AND IM GONNA GET IT!

Wait, how do I get motm?!

- - - Updated - - -

IM SO CONFUSED KICKS

Kicks
01-20-2017, 03:40 PM
XD OH HAEL BAE YOU CRACK ME UP
You have to be.... THE BEST Around *launches into Pokemon*

HaelKatrin
01-20-2017, 03:46 PM
*rolls over pokeball that kicks threw at me.* I SHALL NOT BE CAUGHT!

Kicks
01-20-2017, 03:49 PM
BUT PLEASE -pedbear-

HaelKatrin
01-20-2017, 03:51 PM
BRIBE ME!!!! IM EASILY BRIBED!!!!

Griff
01-20-2017, 05:03 PM
Wait okay so if I post more I get points?

Fancy

Catharijne
01-20-2017, 05:53 PM
Is this where we can also discuss the downsides?

Kris
01-20-2017, 06:00 PM
Yes, feel free to bring up the issues arises here as well.

Catharijne
01-20-2017, 06:08 PM
I pointed this out a bit to Karma -

I like this in part, I do think it's kinda fun. It motivates people to post. What I think is kind of problematic though, is that suddenly it's become competitive. We already can measure how active or involved a user of RPA is. Rep points, post count, badges. Now we're all forced to look at several new metrics that tell us how active we are. It encourages weird competition and urgency to post - which we've already seen (myself included). It just feels like you're forced to do more to prove that you're somehow a valuable member of the community. It's a competition of sorts, though you're really at odds with yourself. It's a bit stark to see how you and your doings stack up against other people in one more way. Post counts, rep, badges earned, now this - there's something about it that feels forced and odd.

There's also a literal leaderboard and rankings which to me seems somewhat antithetical to RPA. It's all about having fun isn't it? And yes this can be fun and not taken too seriously at all, but it's about the standards we set, how we measure success and the environment we create and foster. Some of the most valuable members may not be the most active etc...

It might just be me overthinking

Just thoughts!!

Kris
01-20-2017, 06:19 PM
I'm glad you brought up your thoughts. It's a change for sure, one that we will need to look and see how it works out for the long term too, but since it's only day one I cannot say more yet.

I do hope it will be something that will up scale the down parts and that it will be something we will grow to enjoy together. Besides we are still on the first levels of editing it, so any suggestions of improving the features will be welcomed for sure! (Like Crazy's one regarding the points it gives on the rep).

So let's give it some time to see how it turns out to be, while keeping an eye for sure! Removing it, if such case rises is really easy as well :)

Crazywolf
01-20-2017, 07:43 PM

my apologies I misread the scoreboard. when I saw it this morning I thought it was giving 1 point for writing a post and then xxx points for repping someone.

Mind you the rep part does still need fixing as to reflect 'activity' it should be the same score to everyone that clicks the rep button, which right now it isn't.

edit: actually it seems you get 2 points for writing a post so in fact i wasn't far off. If you take Zulera as an example he now at the time of writing has 2 points for writing a post and 92 points from given a person rep (and yes it was just 1 person he repped because it match with the rep recieved in the other table).

G
01-20-2017, 10:32 PM
So the issue with the rep is that at the moment, it's giving points based on a persons rep power - I'm looking in the settings to see if I can't fix that. :)

.Karma.
01-20-2017, 10:39 PM
m139 asked if we could have the badge tab back up at the top too! I just wanted to put it here so everyone could see the answer as I wasn't sure!

G
01-20-2017, 10:54 PM
Oh, weird, I didn't realise it had gone - I'll have a look!

Catharijne
01-21-2017, 01:13 AM
Thanks for looking into all of this staff! And thanks for trying something new, pretty nifty!

G
01-21-2017, 01:45 AM
Thanks, C! :)

John
01-21-2017, 01:47 AM
Anyone wishing to access the vbActivity stuff can do so in the "Quick Links" drop-down menu under the banner.

Crazywolf
01-21-2017, 02:45 AM
So the issue with the rep is that at the moment, it's giving points based on a persons rep power - I'm looking in the settings to see if I can't fix that. :)

If there's a means of doing that then as suggested above I think it should be the same or similar to writing a post. standardizing it at something like 92 points for instance would be a bit bonkers and not really reflect the amount of action the person has taken.

G
01-21-2017, 02:46 AM
With the Referral Raffle (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=85742) we have introduced referral badges! If you have referred friends in the past, these can count toward earning the badges, simply have the member you referred PM a staff member and let them know they were referred by you!

Kicks
01-21-2017, 02:50 AM
Once you get the visitor message achievement every time then after you post a visitor message it will regive it to you and then take it away so you're constantly flooded with messages and the little achievement disappearing like a jacked up x-box XD

G
01-21-2017, 02:53 AM
Haha eep, let me look at that.

John
01-21-2017, 05:44 AM
If there's a means of doing that then as suggested above I think it should be the same or similar to writing a post. standardizing it at something like 92 points for instance would be a bit bonkers and not really reflect the amount of action the person has taken.

I took a look and it seems to give 0.025 points for rep given. Though not 100% sure, it's sounding like it gives it for every point of rep and not just the action itself. So if you ask me, and it's not my call, we would either have to give an amount so small that it would hardly seem worth it in the end or disallow rep as something that gives points.

With the latter I think it would raise the question of whether or not we should consider this a beta test for the moment and reset points after it's been played with enough to determine what would be best for the site.

Just my two cents.

And the badges tab is back on the navbar.

G
01-21-2017, 07:07 AM
Thanks Naz! I think that's a good suggestion about considering the activity as a test run while we work out the kinks :)

Crazywolf
01-21-2017, 12:39 PM
I took a look and it seems to give 0.025 points for rep given. Though not 100% sure, it's sounding like it gives it for every point of rep and not just the action itself. So if you ask me, and it's not my call, we would either have to give an amount so small that it would hardly seem worth it in the end or disallow rep as something that gives points.

Yeh pretty sure it is behaving that way as other people have got points for repping but not the same amount. this is why I suggested look if there is a way to make it just give a standard number for the action.

If not then as you say the only other options are change the level or turn it off, if either is possible, or more drastically for staff change the rep system itself.

Kicks
01-21-2017, 03:15 PM
Welp << looks like I should get a higher rep to start giving it out XD

Catharijne
01-22-2017, 02:02 PM
The plot thickens.

Griff
01-22-2017, 02:31 PM
Whatever the solution is, we shouldn't reset the rep :) Zulera is so close to hopefully platinum

.Karma.
01-22-2017, 03:37 PM
Agreed!

Zulera301
01-22-2017, 08:55 PM
Whatever the solution is, we shouldn't reset the rep :) Zulera is so close to hopefully platinum

I owe you a star as soon as I am able for this post. remind me if I forget.

While I'm against resetting the system though, if we decide to have an equal number of points given per "rep" regardless of how many rep-points a member can give, that's cool with me.

Crazywolf
01-23-2017, 12:09 AM
Well you wouldn't necessarily need to set the actual reputation back to zero as it is possible there could be a seperate setting for customizing the reputation power - the only caveat there being that in the past staff have been against the idea of changing it, or if not directly against in a view where they saw no necessity, though hypothetically this new issue could potentially alter their thinking.

.Karma.
01-23-2017, 12:32 AM
*hugs my rep power*

G
01-23-2017, 03:32 AM
I don't think we'll be changing the rep system - it's been working pretty well for us so far :) An easier solution, I think, is to not give points for rep in the activity feature - just keep the two things separate. :) Thoughts?

Griff
01-23-2017, 03:45 AM
Wait uh I think I missed something

What's wrong with the current system?

John
01-23-2017, 04:26 AM
I can't see that everyone's rep points would be reset. The RPActivity(yes that's what we're calling it now XD) points are a different story XD

As for setting it so that it gives a static amount for giving rep and not based on the person's rep power. It doesn't seem like it's possible, short of actually going into the addon and rewriting the code. So I think that once staff are done playing with it and determining everything that's going to happen with it, would be best to set everyone's RPActivity points back to zero

Griff, with rep or RPActivity? If rep, nothing really. With RPActivity, the way it gives points for giving rep.

Crazywolf
01-23-2017, 04:52 AM
A couple of other issues... I noticed that when you get an achievement it sends 2 notifications telling you the same thing. Also I wondered there an option to hide achievements box appearing on the side of posts? I disabled everything else but that's the one bit I can't seem to make disappear.

AngelDellaNotte
01-23-2017, 11:46 AM
Just my opinion but the Achievement box seems a bit large. Right now people really only have one Achievement but as they start getting more it's gonna be huge.

G
01-23-2017, 10:12 PM
A couple of other issues... I noticed that when you get an achievement it sends 2 notifications telling you the same thing. Also I wondered there an option to hide achievements box appearing on the side of posts? I disabled everything else but that's the one bit I can't seem to make disappear.

Good point - changed the settings so you'll just get the achievement notification, and not the PM.

Hiding the achievement box is possible, however as far as I can see it can either be on or off, for everyone.

Angel, we can choose how many are displayed in the sidebar, like the badges.

Would people prefer to just have the achievements display on their profile, and not the sidebar?

Crazywolf
01-24-2017, 12:29 AM
I'd be inclined that way just because once you have so much stuff in the sidebar it makes the posts quite long. Though I guess it's not a massive thing either way.

The other thing I was wondering is does the app let you customize the achievements? because logically it seems like 'poster with the moster' should be for the person with the most posts. Also as well as an achievement of 25 posts you could do one for 500, 1000, 2000, 5000 etc.

John
01-24-2017, 01:06 AM
Every time you guys call it a sidebar it really throws me off. Well for a moment until I grow a brain and figure out what you mean. Though I have to admit calling it a sidebar makes more sense than calling it a postbit which is the proper term. XD

I think it is possible CW. We will look into it.

G
01-24-2017, 08:01 AM
I'd be inclined that way just because once you have so much stuff in the sidebar it makes the posts quite long. Though I guess it's not a massive thing either way.

The other thing I was wondering is does the app let you customize the achievements? because logically it seems like 'poster with the moster' should be for the person with the most posts. Also as well as an achievement of 25 posts you could do one for 500, 1000, 2000, 5000 etc.

Yep, it sure is! We'll be adding more achievements in future - I just added the couple that are available now to test the system. :)

Crazywolf
01-27-2017, 04:52 AM
Another thing I've noticed is that posts in downtown tend to be just 1 word or 1 sentence whereas when people post in a roleplay they often write a full page. So on that score I think posting in a roleplay should be 50 points. Among other things as well if the site didn't have roleplays on it to act as carrots and draw people in then the chances are it would never get any new members - not unless you changed the name and rebranded it as simply a chat forum. Whether the app is customizable to that level I don't know, I am simply throwing this out there on the chance the possibility exists.

.Karma.
01-27-2017, 01:07 PM
I believe that is something we've looked into and there is no way to customize it to make posts in a certain section worth more.

G
01-31-2017, 10:07 PM
Hey folks! Just an update to remind you that the RPActivity feature is still being troubleshot and so should be considered a 'demo' feature at this point, so don't freak out if points start changing. XD

When we're done setting up the feature, it will be reset for a fresh start. :)

John
02-12-2017, 11:04 PM
The RPActivity has been temporarily disabled for fine tuning. The staff, with me helping(and by helping I mean being flogged into submission and commanded to do things), will have it back up and running as soon as possible.

Expect a couple of new things coming as well. And though I'm not at liberty to say what they are, I will say they are pretty cool.

Also, there is a new feature. You may now tag members in threads and posts. In a post just type an @ in front of the username and that member will get a notification. Please note that as this is a new feature, the staff is still getting everything running correctly. But as always, they would love to hear your feedback.

Omac
02-12-2017, 11:28 PM
.Karma.

I TOLD YOU

John
02-12-2017, 11:30 PM
.Karma.

I TOLD YOU

What did you tell her?

Omac
02-12-2017, 11:31 PM
I told I noticed a few new things and that she couldn't hide it from me. B(

John
02-12-2017, 11:33 PM
Omac The toast knows all.

.Karma.
02-12-2017, 11:58 PM
Omac; This is not what I was meaning at all. So my hiding is successful. Mwuahaha.

Omac
02-13-2017, 12:01 AM
There is more...? -shock- I mean.. I knew that! Of course there is. I know exactly what it is, but I don't want to spoil it for everyone else. -9angry-

.Karma.

G
02-13-2017, 12:48 AM
About the tagging thing: Like Naz said, we're still fine tuning it. Update - to tag someone, just type the @ symbol, then their username, and finish it up with a semi-colon.
@Omac (http://role-player.net/forum/member.php?u=27604);

(edit: Apparently it doesn't work when you're the one who created the thread XD )

Griff
02-13-2017, 12:55 AM
Splat;

hoi

Omac
02-13-2017, 01:19 AM
G; So like this?

This is so cool.

Crazywolf
02-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Is it needed to have the thing on the profile telling you how many times each person has been mentioned? I'm just not really keen on having a public label on my profile to tell everyone how popular or non-popular I am.

.Karma.
02-13-2017, 01:32 PM
It doesnt have to mean how popular or non-popular you are. I choose not to see it that way, it's just a count, like post count or any other count.

Catharijne
02-13-2017, 02:12 PM
it's like twitter meets high schooooooool.

Dragoon
02-13-2017, 02:27 PM
I've meaning to ask, have you guys looked into utilizing the profile tabs feature for memberinfo details like post, reputation, etc?

G
02-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Can you explain what you mean a bit more? If you mean the activity feature, Naz gave an update about that in his post above. :)

I believe the mention count is something that's either on or off, for everyone. If the majority don't want it there, we can remove it, but I know some people like it so I'll wait to hear what more people think.

Catharijne
02-13-2017, 02:47 PM
My vote would be to go against the mention count, for the reasons CW mentioned. Feels a bit too much like a popularity contest.

Kicks
02-13-2017, 02:52 PM
Oooo now that they have mentioned that I can totally see what you two mean. :)
If the members aren't keen towards the mentioned count, then there wouldn't be a reason to keep it. (But please keep the tagged omg i love it)

Dragoon
02-13-2017, 02:52 PM
I'm trying to find the mod. I don't know if 4.x.x offers the feature; but, 3.8.x did. It allowed you to take memberinfo details such as post(s), location, reputation, etc and turn them into a sort of tab feature. You click on a circle and each one contains certain information. Like one would be awards/medals, another would be posts, location and another would contain mentions, reputation, etc.

You can also move the reputation bar around using the coding in the memberinfo.

Catharijne
02-13-2017, 02:58 PM
Kicks;

Yaaaaaaas. #amidoingthisright?

.Karma.
02-13-2017, 03:03 PM
Catharijne; Yes you are :)

John
02-14-2017, 01:19 AM
I'm trying to find the mod. I don't know if 4.x.x offers the feature; but, 3.8.x did. It allowed you to take memberinfo details such as post(s), location, reputation, etc and turn them into a sort of tab feature. You click on a circle and each one contains certain information. Like one would be awards/medals, another would be posts, location and another would contain mentions, reputation, etc.

You can also move the reputation bar around using the coding in the memberinfo.

I'm not sure that it's available on vb 4. It sounds like what we have on the profile pages, with the exception that it's not a circle nor does it allow the rep location to be changed.

If you can tell me the name of the 3x mod or provide a link I can look into it.

Crazywolf
02-15-2017, 06:13 PM
Hey again. obviously the activity thing has disappeared, I was just wondering is it coming back again or did you guys decide to remove it?

G
02-16-2017, 02:28 AM
The RPActivity has been temporarily disabled for fine tuning. The staff, with me helping(and by helping I mean being flogged into submission and commanded to do things), will have it back up and running as soon as possible.

Expect a couple of new things coming as well. And though I'm not at liberty to say what they are, I will say they are pretty cool.

Nazzy gave an update on that here Crazywolf;

Crazywolf
02-16-2017, 02:47 AM
Ah k thanks. I obviously missed that.

G
02-21-2017, 12:32 AM
You guys might have noticed the Roleplay of the Week is now featured on the Forum Page (http://role-player.net/forum/forum.php) as well as the home page. :)

John
02-21-2017, 08:10 AM
I'd like to take a moment to announce the addition of a new badge on RPA.

In honour of Zulera301 being the first to max out pips and stars on the rep system, I give you the Zuzu Award.

http://i.imgur.com/qdF6Kbr.png
http://i.imgur.com/oPECSbp.png

G
02-21-2017, 09:04 AM
Zulera301; congrats!

Zulera301
02-21-2017, 04:43 PM
best reward evar. :B

is there a way I can choose which 5 badges show up under my profile? Because this one needs to be publicly visible.

Confirmed: If/when I reach 10,000 posts and can have my own title, it's totally going to say "Platinum Star, yo."

.Karma.
02-21-2017, 06:58 PM
It shows in your 5 :)

Zulera301
02-21-2017, 10:23 PM
yeah I noticed that part after I posted it. =P

still... gotta get spamming posting so I can get my title.

Grobyin
03-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Cool.

G
08-31-2017, 12:43 PM
Not really a new feature ( yet ;) ) but I'm sure some of you will have noticed some maintenance work being done at the moment! I don't anticipate any issues, but just wanted to remind you all of the Glitch in the Matrix (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84686) thread in the general forum help section, where you can report any problems if you do happen to notice any. Thanks! :)

G
09-13-2017, 12:33 AM
You may have noticed that we now have a working SSL certificate! No more pesky 'your data is not safe' warnings, yay!!

Unfortunately, since we have SO many images hosted on other sites (signatures, memes, cute pictures of peoples pets, and so on) you may still be seeing an orange 'insecure' lock to the left of the URL on some pages. One thing you can all do to help with this is to try to host your images on sites that support https:// - I'll try to get a proper list, but I know that imgur does! Photobucket, Fotoflexer and Tinypic do not! (Gosh, get with the times, guys!)

Thanks everyone!

G
09-13-2017, 12:33 AM
You may have noticed that we now have a working SSL certificate! No more pesky 'your data is not safe' warnings, yay!!

Unfortunately, since we have SO many images hosted on other sites (signatures, memes, cute pictures of peoples pets, and so on) you may still be seeing an orange 'insecure' lock to the left of the URL on some pages. One thing you can all do to help with this is to try to host your images on sites that support https:// - I'll try to get a proper list, but I know that imgur does! Photobucket, Fotoflexer and Tinypic do not! (Gosh, get with the times, guys!)

Thanks everyone!

Maikuolan
09-13-2017, 04:46 AM
Good news, and good to hear. :-)

G
09-18-2017, 02:14 AM
https://www.stockpickingchallenge.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/new-feature.png

The staff are happy to announce we are introducting a BRAND NEW FEATURE to the site - well, kinda. XD
We did introduce this previously as a trial run, and it was taken offline in order to properly troubleshoot and decide how best to implement it. Well, we (finally) got it sorted!

RPActivity (https://role-player.net/forum/vbactivity.php) is a new way to get rewarded for your contributions to RPA! Your activity across the site will earn you points; race your friends to climb to the top of the leaderboards and claim the glory of that number one spot!

Without giving too much away, there are more exciting things coming in the near future, too! So start earning those points - you'll be happy you did! ;) Because of these super exciting new things we will be implementing soon, we will not be awarding points for past activity - everyone will start accumulating points from this point forward, starting at 0.

We hope you enjoy this new feature, and look forward to revealing more surprises soon!

Salroka
09-18-2017, 07:16 AM
Are we to assume ALL activity will contribute? Or will there be a way to negate specific subsections of the site from adding to points? Spamming Downtown, for example... some folks would get a crapton of points for senseless things while some of the RP Purists will get little to nothing. Personally, I do not go downtown more than maybe once per month. So yeah, this sort of thing is a nice idea, but could easily be manipulated in a method similar to the Reputation system.

G
09-18-2017, 09:19 AM
Unfortunately no, it's not possible to award different amounts for posts in different areas; however, contributions downtown or in the creative areas are still valid contributions to the forum overall. There are different ways to earn points aside from purely posting; you can check out the leaderboards on the activity tab to see some of the different criteria. There will also be benefits to the points you gain regardless of where you rank with other people's points, which as I said above will be revealed in the near future. :)

Craze
09-18-2017, 04:27 PM
You guys just HAD to confront me with how much time I waste on this site, didn't you? *stare*

Jokes aside, though, this is pretty neat. Fun lil side quest.

G
09-19-2017, 02:31 AM
how much time I waste on this site

You mean.. how much time you spend totally constructively on the best site everrr! XD

Crazywolf
09-19-2017, 09:15 AM
Really I have the same view as Beta on this. I don't mind having it as a bit of harmless fun but unless there is some way to weight posts in different sections then it won't be able to authentically measure people's actual activity/contribution in the real or complete sense. Aside just the length of posts and time it takes to craft them I think it should be said as well roleplays are also the forums bread and butter - ie. the thing that attracts new members. (If you take a starbucks analogy roleplays are the actual coffee and downtown is the extra froth or chocolate sprinkles that they sometimes add on top.)

G
09-19-2017, 09:34 AM
As I already stated it is not possible for us to give different point amounts for different sections. I agree that roleplaying is of course the main purpose of RPA (and what brought us all here) however I think downtown and the social areas are also valuable as they are a big part of how our members connect with each other - for me, personally, I came here originally purely to RP. What kept me here and made this place a second home was the community, and the real and lasting friendships I've made here. It is intended as a fun feature, not a measure of worth or merit on the site - everyone here contributes in their own way and I don't think anyone's contribution is worth more than anothers', regardless of where you choose to spend your time here everyone is a valuable member of this community to us.

Craze
09-19-2017, 10:42 AM
MAKE DOWNTOWN GREAT AGAIN!

G
09-22-2017, 11:38 PM
You guys might have noticed the 'vote for rpa' links that staff have added to the front page, and our signatures! We are now listed on TOPRPSITES, if you love this community and would like to promote it's growth please click to vote for us and move us up the listing! You can vote once a day, and it only takes a second. Thanks everyone <3

Salroka
09-23-2017, 03:24 AM
I just think we have enough ways to track activity. Post counts, badge totals, reputation, and even our Join Date (when taken in conjunction with post count). All that another fluffy fun thing will do is clog up more bandwidth. I'm not OPPOSED to the idea so much as I simply don't know why it is being implemented beyond "But it's fun".

Anyway. That's all the more I will say, as my opinion has been put out there for consideration.

Voted for RPA, btw. Love this place.

Omac
09-23-2017, 03:39 AM
You guys might have noticed the 'vote for rpa' links that staff have added to the front page, and our signatures! We are now listed on TOPRPSITES, if you love this community and would like to promote it's growth please click to vote for us and move us up the listing! You can vote once a day, and it only takes a second. Thanks everyone <3

I'm way ahead of you. I already voted last night and earlier today. I'm just waiting to be able to do it again.

G
09-23-2017, 03:46 AM
Thanks for your votes, guys! As I said before Beta, there will be more surprises coming, that tie in to the activity feature. Patience is a virtue <3 Also I think 'because it's fun' is a totally valid reason to get new stuff. XD

Crazywolf
09-23-2017, 09:25 PM
Voted on the Topsites. I'll try and do a few more if I can remember.

G
09-23-2017, 11:39 PM
Awesome, thanks!

G
10-08-2017, 07:55 AM
Thanks to a generous donation we have upgraded to the PRO version of Activity! This means we can now set points on a forum-by-forum basis! (As well as some other cool features!) The points you have accumulated up to this point will remain <3

From now on, IC posts will be worth DOUBLE points! This applies to the Arena and Persistent World sections too!
OOC and IC threads in the RP sections will also be worth DOUBLE points!
Participation in the main staff events (the Rumble and RPApril) will also earn you DOUBLE points, as will participation in the Monthly Writing Prompts.

REGULAR points will be awarded for posts in rp-related sections (OOC threads, rp recruitment, etc) as well as the introductions section, member events and the creative corner.

Downtown and general (not rp-related) discussions (videogames or movies section, etc) will award you HALF points.
Beta; Crazywolf; and others who were concerned about the fairness of the feature, we hope this will help to assuage those worries. :)

Tolvo
10-08-2017, 01:15 PM
Very awesome :)

Salroka
10-08-2017, 07:59 PM
That works out pretty well, I would say. Thanks are due to the generous donor and as always to the admins working to make it all run smoothly.

Craze
10-08-2017, 09:01 PM
Oh, that is actually really neat! Makes the feature a lot more interesting. :)

Crazywolf
10-08-2017, 09:50 PM
Based on the information given it does now look to be a bit more balanced. Hopefully with these alterations in place people that post more in different sections other than the downtown area won't feel overlooked.

G
10-14-2017, 04:38 AM
Some of you may have noticed the little coloured dots appearing after some usernames! These are trophies, and are held by the person with the most points in a specific activity criteria (ie: most post points, most thread points, most mentioned, etc) They will be transferred to the person with the most points in a criteria each day - we're still playing with them, and may move the positioning etc, but for now enjoy trying to get those trophies! If you hover over the spot with your mouse, you can see what a persons trophy is for. :)

AniahLiepard
01-30-2018, 03:27 PM
Good to know, considering I just came back after....... a year or two?

G
02-10-2018, 03:18 AM
Well, I finally got around to backdating the referral badges - as promised, if you had referrals already accrued before we brought out the badges, you have now been awarded the badges for them. <3

Sy23
02-25-2018, 03:40 PM
- for me, personally, I came here originally purely to RP. What kept me here and made this place a second home was the community, and the real and lasting friendships I've made here.

Agreed. Sure, RPA is primarily a RP site, but it's not just a RP site. Personally, I feel people who take the trouble to contribute to the other areas, post downtown and take part in the games do much to keep the site enjoyable.

If there is to be a weighting system (and G says it can't happen, but maybe some time in the future) then I think it would be good if newer members could get a slightly higher weight than more established people, to encourage them to take more part. Newer members are often a bit shy about taking part, and this could help I think.

G
02-27-2018, 10:57 AM
Interesting suggestion Sy23; we actually do have the ability to weight the points according to more specific criteria now, we'll take your suggestion into consideration. :)

Flower Child
10-05-2018, 06:28 PM
How do I join or make an RP?

rabbit
10-05-2018, 07:49 PM
Flower Child; you just find the section you'd like to RP in here (https://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7), check out the Out of Character thread, fill out the GM's character creation sheet and submit a character to your desired roleplay! The GM wil review your character and then, if accepted, you can post in the games in character thread!

Larynx
06-30-2019, 04:40 AM
I am happy to return to the site and see that it seems to be just as active as when I had my slight hiatus.
I am not very active in other parts of the site however, I do appreciate all the time and effort you guys put in to make this a welcoming and active place to RP.

Kris
06-30-2019, 06:38 AM
Welcome back :) Glad to have you with us once more

StarButterfly
05-13-2020, 12:38 AM
whats this for?

Kris
05-13-2020, 08:24 AM
To update on new Forum's features :)

Ben35DJ
12-27-2021, 04:52 AM
Hello, new user here............!

Ben35DJ
12-27-2021, 04:57 AM
what will these badges do for me ammm... anyway i'll try my best to bring my friends as well.

Enigma
12-27-2021, 06:18 AM
Ben35DJ;
Badges are to show RPA's appreciation for your efforts here. Completing a roleplay is an important one.

Unoriginal
03-03-2022, 02:38 AM
Will not posting on the forums for a longtime cause you to lose points? I hope not

Azazeal849
03-03-2022, 06:44 AM
No, it won’t cause you to lose points!

neptendus
06-19-2023, 12:31 PM
hello,
Voted on the Topsites. I'll try and do a few more if I can remember.