PDA

View Full Version : (Dec) Prompt 3 - Silent Night

Naraness
12-02-2015, 07:34 AM
December's 3rd Prompt is the phrase “Silent Night”

If you have any questions about how to participate in this event,
please visit the rules (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63004) thread or PM Naraness (http://role-player.net/forum/member.php?u=24919).

Happy writing!

Kris
12-14-2015, 08:56 PM
Chapter 2 (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74776&p=2598419&viewfull=1#post2598419)

Chapter 3-

"How did she get here?"

"Who knows... Fragile thing, is she not?"

"Maybe... Maybe not...?"

Eyes glared at me. Blue empty....

I woke up at some point.

I am not sure when.

My head was throbbing and I felt like I could use a very strong ale... or maybe one of Jack's cheap cigar...

It was then I noticed the familiar smoke line and the smell of very old coat.

"Jack...", I whispered slowly.

"Easy kid, you had it rough..."

"Jack... I can't feel my legs... or my hands..."

"Don't worry, you are in one piece... you just had a really nasty fall..."

I smiled. At least all my body parts were there, "Is my face okay?"

He chuckled, "Yeah, all teeth are white and perky".

I nodded, "Fucking hurt... Can I get a pill?"

"Not yet, kid. The doctors wants you awake for now, gonna try to see everything's working and what not".

I nodded again, "So... are you worried about me... or just here to ask questions".

He took a long inhale and tossed the cigar to the ground, squashing it. I knew he was gonna put on his serious expression now and speak formally. And I knew exactly what was bothering him.

"I saw them..."

"Yeah, so did security lens", He lifted up some kind of a black box. I knew it my camera, "You have disturbing stuff there".

"Hands off", I said with a smile, "I got there first".

"That's exactly the problem", he said, not amused by my joke, "How did you know where they will be?"

"I didn't, it was a lucky guess..."

He seemed unsure.

" Tobias speculated that they may try a bigger game".

"I should have known," Jack swallowed.

"He is a smart kid"

"That may have got you in trouble"

"You speak like I did something wrong."

"You where there, at the right time.... We can't cross out the option that..."

"Don't dare finish this line officer", I said with rage. He looked hurt. Truth be told I never wanted to insult him, as he really didn't like to be called like this, but I was furious. And besides I was in pain. I will apologize to him when I will be able to move.

"What happened there?"

"They spotted me. They seemed to be effected by sound and swift movements. They moved as if they were pulled by strings from above. They were vicious and seemed to be very..."

"Very...?"

"I dunno... it was as if their mind was fried... Drooling and everything..."

"I will look into it", he put on his hat and fixed his jacket.

"Leaving?", I asked him, trying to get my expression as sad as I could.

"Get some rest kid", he said. Probably still hurt. He never liked to be called "officer". In another world and time, he would have liked to be anything else but a cop. As much them being the symbol of justice, he and I knew well how much they were bound by bureaucracy and corruption. They were the hands of justice only in appearance. When I called him by his first name, without his job title, it was as if I was acknowledging him as something more.

"Wait...", I called after him. I needed to tell him what I saw. What I heard. I knew it has something to do with has happened. With the weird events.

But my voice couldn't escape my lips. And besides, I wasn't even sure it was all the creation of my delirious mind. I halted back.

"Nothing", I said.

I leaned back. Nothing could be done now. I decided to just sleep it off.

Jack didn't come the next day. Or the day followed. Or even after that.

I was finally freed from the clinic, not before I was forced to wear brace around my back, which was very uncomfortable, but decided for once to actually listen to what the doctors told me. They also gave me pills supply for a week. Which I could trade with cash for rent money... but again decided against it. It was too painful to even consider going on without them.

From this point nothing too strange happen, a week has passed and my body was slowly healing. Tobias was super sweet about helping me back together in doing my stuff, and even made sure I was not going to bent and lift something, or run into things around the house. I even amused myself with the thought of doing it again, if that what it took him to actually clean the place and do the dishes.

It looked as though things have slowly went back to their normal track. But only in appearance. I kept thinking of that silent night that grew into insane nightmare. I even dreamt about it. I could forget the voices that spoke around me.

And that face... That glowing orbs.... and all the white makeup...

Little did I knew fate has much more in store for me.

One day, out of the blue, I remembered that my camera was still not returned to me. As much as I didn't want to see Jack's face (Because the man simply did not contact me, and I figured he probably didn't want to see me for the rest of my life), I walked down the station near street block B7. I gathered all my courage and walked for his office, knocking at the door few times. When he didn't answer I knocked again. And again.

And aga-

Someone grab my hand.

I looked around and saw Alister. Alister was a tall man without much hairs on his skull, but he looked mean and impressive, despite the fact he wore an ugly glasses. His face was clean, as he shaved daily. Unlike Jack, he looked the perfect policeman stereotype.

"Been awhile", he smiled gently. His face wore grim expression.

"Don't tell me you still suspect me?", I panicked. I know I shouldn't. They already cleaned my name back when I was still in the hospital, but being pointed and blamed was not fun. Was I not welcomed here by Alister as well?

"Truth be told, I never thought ..."

"Never thought you'd see me?", I finished his words. He probably thought I was going to give up about this whole crime deal or even on Jack after he ignored me, "Well Jack may not like me or whatever, but he still has my stuff and..."

Alister looked confused. He took a moment to collect himself before asking, "Vel... when was the last time you spoke to Jack?"

"Are you kidding me? Back at the hospital... ", Alister's face changed colors, "What's wrong?", I asked.

"Dear lord...", he swallowed, "So you don't even know...?"

"Know what?", It was my turn to panic.

We both stood in silent. I was anxious and he seemed lost for words. Finally he turned around, "Please... let's go sit down... We need to talk".

What could I have doen?

I followed....

Chapter 4 (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77778&p=2681956&viewfull=1#post2681956)

m139
12-19-2015, 09:57 PM
Part Two of the December Story
Silent Night
read part one (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77779&p=2683978&viewfull=1#post2683978) ~ read part three (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77778&p=2683976&viewfull=1#post2683976)

It was quiet. Almost too quiet. It was as if the world was holding its breath, waiting for something. And whatever it was the world was waiting for, all of its inhabitants seemed waiting for this very thing too, even though most of them had no clue what it was. And even those few who did know what it was were hardly prepared for the consequences of this action.

To make matters worse, no matter whether said action took place or not, bad things would happen. I knew it. The few who had put me in this situation knew it, too. But the rest of the world? They were blissfully unaware of what their fate might be.

Why me? Again the thought came into my mind and dwelt there. Truly, I had never been able to answer the question to my liking. All I knew was that somehow, chance and fate had so conspired to put me here in this situation. And now....

Now I must act. There could be no more waiting. It was the last day of the year, and it was time. If I did not lift the hatch... millions, potentially, would die. And if I did... well, about 700 would die. But they would be 700 who I had known, and who I loved, even if it had been twenty five years...

What did it mean to me, anyways, who lived and who died? I did not know any of them. I did not know anyone anymore! The people who were with me, here! I could not tell them anything, or they would die. I was lying to them about my life. And the people down there? I Had not seen them for twenty five years. TWENTY FIVE YEARS!

Even if I saw them again, which I could do, apparently, after the BUG took effect, would I even know them? What would they think of me? Sure, some might have thought it was worth it, but others? And more importantly, what would I think about it? What about me?

I cried. The sounds of my sobs were the only things that could be heard in that long empty barn. They went out into the darkness, the only sounds in that otherwise silent night.

11:49 PM. Eleven more minutes. Eleven more minutes to make a choice.

Everyone in this world was sleeping. No one would know if I opened the hatch... Down there? I did not know what they were doing. Perhaps they were awake, and a group of children were playing ball. Perhaps the classrooms still held their students... Perhaps they were all already dead...

I put my ear to the hatch. Nothing. But what had I expected?

Again I cried, and one of my tears splashed against the metal handle. For a second, it remained balanced, glittering like a little diamond. And then, it slipped off, wetting the already moist ground. And it was gone...

I wished I could follow the little teardrop's path. Sparkle for a while, seen by just a few, then slip away into obscurity. The only problem was, my fate somehow turned out to be way more important than the teardrops. If one little drop of water goes missing, it will not kill a person. But somehow, I'd been set up to be a dam.

I missed the life I used to have. I missed the people down in the hatch some. But I missed the family I used to have even more. They had loved me. And they had shown it. I had never experienced anything quite like it before, nor have I since. Even my brother, who could at times, well, be an annoying brother, I loved him, too. And they were all gone. All gone.

Why? Why did this have to be my fate?

11:53. Seven more minutes.

Who would die if I left the hatch closed? Were there other halls I never knew about? Was it way more than 700? Was there anyone even down there anymore? And if I let them live... I did not know the exact number of people who had been injected with the BUG, but I knew it was substantial. It was not that hard to place a microscopic capsule in routine shots that most people would get. All they were waiting for was the signal to release their toxic contents into the blood stream... And unless I opened the hatch, they would do so in seven minutes...

WHY? WHY WAS THIS CHOICE MINE?

Suddenly, I became filled with anger. How dare he- and whoever else was involved with this- how dare he force me to make a dumb decision about who lived and who died. How dare he unnecessarily kill some number of people- it does not really matter how many- for no good reason! How dare he lead me to a new life, only to take it from me! It was all wrong! It was so unfair!

I was determined to get back at him. I did not know how, but somehow! I reached down, and yanked open the hatch.

And I heard hissing sounds and metal clunking further down.

The anger immediately left me, and the hatch handle fell from my grip with a loud clunk into its original position. And I was left staring at my hand. How... What had I done?

"So you have chosen."

I looked up. He was standing above me.

"An interesting choice, for sure." he coughed into his sleave, and then there was blood on the white fabric.

I gasped.

"Don't you remember? Everyone from under 'the hatch'- as you termed it- must die. That includes me. But..." he was bending over, laboring for these last words" But... not you.... Goo...Good... lu-"

He stopped short, and fell flat onto the ground. I went up next to him, and checked his breath with a hand mirror. Nothing. He was dead.

I took a step back. The one who had haunted my dreams and waking life was dead. And I felt...

I felt...

Nothing.

I felt cold, and empty, and lonely.

I felt all alone.

All alone in this silent, silent night.

~N~
12-19-2015, 11:22 PM
My heart pounded in my breast as I lay beside her, the heat of my panting breaths rising in wispy curls in the chilly air. I purposefully turned the heat off; the candles would provide all the heat we could need, and they were far more romantic than the furnace.

I underestimated how magical this moment could be. My body felt weightless, like I was free-falling upon a cloud of white mattress. The whole world seemed to give way beneath me, and suddenly, nothing else mattered anymore.

Einstein was right--gravity really is relative. If I had known before, many years ago, what I know now, she wouldn't have been my first. Maybe it was better this way. She was special, for so many reasons, but she would always be my first.

I turned over to my left. She was lying there, eyes open, staring at the ceiling. Her world was still spinning, I imagined, with a smirk. Ravished and free-falling, like I was, out into space. I took her right hand in my left, and clasped it gently. I wished we could remain here like this forever.

She was still warm.

Rising up, I turned and admired her; my beautiful girl.

Caressing her pale, soft skin in the moonlight, fingertips gliding slowly, carefully over every inch with deliberate attention. I loved her. She was so perfect there, sleeping peacefully in the moonlight. My fingertips grazed the curls of her golden hair, lying like sheaves of wheat, strewn across the fields during the autumn harvest.

Her breath was so soft, it was practically invisible, even in the cooler air that carried off the lingering drops of sweat and passion into the night. Her cheeks still glowed pink, still flush with the ardor and ecstasy of our passion, lingering there like a setting sun upon a pale horizon. She was so silent, now. So peaceful, it would strain credulity to imagine this same young, beautiful woman vigorously, passionately responding to every touch, every thrust, releasing moans of strained tension into the night...

... only moments ago. Now, as I lay my head down upon her small chest and listened, even her heartbeat was so quiet, I could only imagine I heard it! From burning hot... to wintry cold--just like that. My fingers traced over the shadows dancing across her skin, flickering lights silently thrown off by the watching candles, like rings and rings of stars, heating up the entire room.

One by one, their bright, dancing fires would go out, turned to wisps of curling smoke rising into the night sky to whisper to the stars of an angel winging her way to heaven. She loved me.

Wanted me. I remember how excited she was when I reciprocated her hopes and dreams with flowers and dinner. Duck l'orange. Wine. Candlelight. Silk. Passion. She lit up like Christmas, and stepped across the streets in my arm like she was walking on air.

Dizzy with elation. Drunk with happiness. And I beheld her glow, and embraced her in my warmth like a shining knight.

Eat your heart out, Lancelot.

I caught sight of her pretty little maroon purse. Carefully unzipping it, I reached in and pulled out her chapstick. Burt's Bees. She always did have good taste in chapstick. This was the pomegranate variety. I remarked to her once that I appreciated the way the pomegranate put a little more color in her lips.

My very own Persephone. Are you Queen of the Underworld now? Are you waiting for me there, in shadowy Hades?

Everything is so silent now, I can only imagine you calling my name.

Walking slowly over to the window, I pulled back the curtains and looked up into the frosty midnight sky. A soft crescent hung in the distance, casting its silver glow across the indigo expanse of the starry heavens.

Are you up there, among the angels?

I certainly hope not. I might never see you again, if you are. You were the sweetest little girl... and now, like the first snow to hit the warm ground, you're gone, taking all the warmth with you.

The stars shimmer and twinkle in their cold celestial choir, like clairvoyant eyes peering down from insurmountable heights.

What are you looking at? Do you want to come in and see my work?

White sheets look like peppermint sticks when they're streaked with blood. Cherry red lipstick, crimson splatter, artfully, tastefully done across a body that achieves a greater purity of pale by the second.

You'd light all of heaven up more than the moon, baby. If you're up there now, I hope you can see me smiling.

I suppose it's time to draw this silent night to a close. Pulling out a crimson ribbon roll, I take and wrap it tastefully around around her ankles, each in turn, gradually spiraling in big candy loops up her calves and thighs and then around her waist. Her head just falls back when I lift her up...

... so relaxed. I smile.

So peaceful.

Then up around her small waist, lower back, and over her small breasts, before proceeding right down the soft, smooth skin of her delicate arms. Snip. Snip.

I curl one more band of ribbon through her golden hair, making it into a lovely bow. It took me a little bit of effort and time to pick up the finer details of wrapping up ribbon into a bow, I confess. But, nothing less than the best, for you, sweetheart.

Her lips are parted in silent ecstasy. Waiting for my kiss.

Just a little longer, sweetheart. Just a little longer and then we'll be together in an Underworld of our dreams.

I lean down, and taste her lips, press mine reverently to hers, feeling her coolness upon my own. I breathe in her breath one last time.

Then, I make my way out into the world of this sacred, silent night.

Kicks
12-21-2015, 06:53 AM
You do not get to sit there and assume that every night passes for me the same as it does for you- a silent night with ease of dreams and passing to morning. You do not get to sit there and assume that I am safe inside my own head, captured with innocence and goodness. You do not get to sit there and assume that this disease, just because it is not physical, is not real! It is real!

You do not get to sit there and tell me that everything is fine when I just know the world around me is shattering and everything is collapsing. Because it all feels like the walls of the world have closed in around me and the weight of the entire human race is riding on my scrawny shoulders. Just a tiny thing! How could such a tiny thing suspend that kind of weight on her already frail bones?!

You do not get to sit there and tell me I am weak. You do not see the pain I go through because for whatever reason I was cursed with this invisible illness. It would be like trying to tell someone with a brain tumor that just because you can't see it, it doesn't make it real. It's not any less real than a walking bag of bones suffering from the affects of ebola.

It's not any less real than children dying of SIDS. Just because you can't see it doesn't make it any less real than the diseases you are capable of seeing with your own eyes!

I cannot make you believe, through your entire earth shattering ignorance that what I feel is more real than hell's fires. It's more real than a man walking in on a moon, proclaiming to the world that this is one giant step! When for me... the biggest leap would be to seek help. When for any of us suffering from this incurable, inoperable disease would be to seek out ways to cope with this curse... with this death sentence.

Not just death to our own sanity but by society itself! We are crucified by giggles and laughs, claims that none of it is real. That we're only weak. If only we had a little more faith. These same voices are the same ones that hold not only the trigger to my head, but the trigger to their own closed minds. With one pull of a finger they could choose to release me from my own hell on earth... or choose to open their minds to something so horrifying they could only choose to accept this as... just as real as any other physical disease.

This fear! This panic! You do not understand how it paralyzes me. How it forces me into the deep recesses of my mind. To hide from things that others claim as fun! It could not be as radical as sky diving and I would still shiver, weep, and apologize profusely that no... I cannot go to our class party because I am afraid of... so many things...

Drugs in the drinks...

Alcohol poured into unsuspecting beverages...

A gun at the party readied by another outcast...

Crashing on the way there or from there...

Suffocating on my own panic...

Not being able to reach help when I need it most...

Not being able to have a quiet place to steal away and quiet my mind...

Not being able to SCREAM when everything becomes TOO LOUD AND TOO CLAUSTROPHOBIC BECAUSE THAT'S ALL I REALLY WANT TO DO IS-

Scream. Because you sit there and you stare. You judge. You don't understand. And you refuse to understand that by you saying that I can just "Get over it" or "have more faith"... it all makes me want to step off the edge.

Or take my quivering hands and strangle you.

Or instead, grab you by the shirt and force you to watch as I sob because none of it is a joke. None of it is fake. It's just as real as any other disease.

Just because you can't see it doesn't make it not real. It lives inside me. It screams at me. It haunts me. It's like being stalked by a stranger you can never quite see the face of but you always understand just how dangerous it is. And half the time I just want to curl up into my knees and sob because it's all too much. The simplest of things suddenly becomes a nightmare not even comparable to the worst of your own imagination.

I had to fight and I had to claw to get out of the depths of darkness, to stray away from an end that could have stopped my suffering and ended those giggles and jokes. I am strong! You cannot sit there and assume that I am weak. You cannot say that. I will not allow you to say that, I will not allow you to think it when you do not understand just how far the edge is from the safety zone. You do not get to sit there and make jokes. You do not get to sit there and assume that it's all a matter of lack of faith or lack of strength.

Many like me struggled to severe that edge; to build themselves up until they were safe from themselves. Like me they chose not to take the easy way and to accept that this disease, while part of us, IS NOT US.

We are not the disease! We are people molded from the strongest of metals, crafted by God's hands, into a being that while yes- we do suffer- we will not let ourselves succumb to the edge. And we will not let you think of us as weak. We are not weak.

You would not walk up to a cancer patient and exclaim they are weak! Because they didn't have the strength to fight! Because they refused to have just a little more faith. That they were lacking because they were dying.

No! Just because you can't see our disease does not make it any less real! It as real as my skin. Touch the soft paper that lay against bone. I am real. And so is this disease.

And what's even more fucked up about it all... is that I need to protect you from it by spoilering the truth. So that you don't have to succumb to these twisted thoughts as well. So that you don't feel attacked when I tell you how wrong you are. When I tell you the truth:

Just because you can't see our disease does not make it any less real!

Maya
12-22-2015, 08:36 PM
"So, there's no way you can make it?"

"No, hon. There's so much snow and ice, the roads are closed. Even if we could try to drive, the airport is closed as well. Might hang around to see if there's any way to take another flight in the morning. Otherwise.." Letting out a frustrated sigh. "I'm sorry, kiddo. Hate that you'll be stuck in a new city alone on Christmas."

She hated it too. Especially since everyone Kylie knew and loved was a thousand miles away. "I'll be alright."

"Hey, if nothing else, we'll get there on Saturday and you can show us around the city. We'll hunker down and see what tomorrow brings. Bet you don't miss the snow. What is it, seventy degrees out there?"

"Mayday, mayday..We got a Christmas wish going down in flames! Check the radar! We need to all hands on deck! Gotta fix this mistake before midnight.."

Kylie looked out the window as the sun set over San Diego as that all too familiar feeling of home sickness struck again. She'd been so looking forward to picking everyone up at the airport and getting to show them around her new home away from home. A quick glance to the clock showed they should arrive at the airport in four hours. But, mother nature doesn't care about her timeline. Or that there was a massive turkey taking up fifty percent of her refrigerator space. "Seventy five. Haven't really had the chance to enjoy it yet with work and planning for the holiday. I have all the on decorations ready to put on the tree tonight. Not nearly as big as the nine foot monstrosity you usually have. Might be a five footer at best. Fake..and don't sass me on that. It's easier to carry a boxed tree up three flights of stairs than a real one."

"Hey, hey, now..that monstrosity is just the perfect size for the cabin's space what with the vaulted ceiling. You never complained about it before, lil lady. Guess it don't matter much so long as you like the tree you have."

'Brother on route from Afghanistan, suppose to land in Chicago O'Hare..rerouting to Atlanta."

She'd hear her mother yelling something in the background and tried to suppress a laugh. He was hen pecked as hell.

"Your dog just snatched the roast chicken off the kitchen table. I gotta....Damn it, Bo..you put that down! Bad dog! Bad, bad! Drop it!" Nobody would want to eat it now; but, the point was the dang dog shouldn't be swiping food.

Kylie could clearly envision her parents chasing the massive yellow lab from room to room as he tried to scarf down as much as possible before being crated. "I'll call you later. ..Dad. Dad?" Getting no answer but more grousing. "..alrighty then. I'll call you tomorrow." Figuring it was easier to hang up and let them take care of their business. Which left her completely and wholly alone with the only other breathing creature in the room. A Betta fish she'd named Spike because he liked to puff up his fins to fight his own reflection. Was entertaining for a minute or two.

"Finding fastest way to San Diego from Atlanta, I won a thousand dollars there once. Cheated ..used Santa dust. Don't tell him.'"

'Nobby, focus.."

"Yes, Mrs. Clause. Anyway, Atlanta to San Diego..gotta push a few snow storms out of the way.."

After flipping through the TV stations, then the radio stations and glancing in the fridge for the tenth time only to discover the same food she'd found nine times before and almost all of it meant for a family dinner, a huge sigh of boredom filled the air while resigning herself to Chinese delivery again. It wasn't that she couldn't cook. Kylie could and often did back home. She found herself missing the familiar sounds of a household full of people, laughter and joking. Raucous games being played around the large, wooden table as they tried to cheat each other at cards. The constant teasing and 'remember when's' which usually involved her doing something silly they'd have to dredge up every single year. Even her closest friends were several states away as well. Was going to be the first silent night before Christmas ever and she felt the heaviness of that silence as night continued to fall.

"Got him on standby for the next flight out. ..bumping him up to top of the list. Oooh, found a politician needing to do a good deed for the cameras. Too easy." Focusing his mind on the well dressed, Governor wannabe. "Bingo, First class ticket and a spot the local news. Win/win for both. Gotta pat myself on the back for that." Does so. "He should arrive in San Diego just before midnight. Pheeeeeeeeeeew, that was close. Now what about the rest of the family?"

The apartment was so quiet it hurt. Knowing Christmas day would be just as lonely made the whole situation even worse. Still, that single strand of assorted colored lights which trailed around the window would be lit up for ambiance. The last of the presents were wrapped and tied with bows and even the tree was lit up, minus the decorations for now. A soft rap on the door meant dinner was served. It wouldn't be that roast chicken with mash potatoes, gravy and green beans of years passed which was the warm up to the big meal. Even so, Kylie gave the delivery guy a $20 dollar tip for having to trek up all those stairs on Christmas Eve. With a box of General Tso's chicken, rice and egg drop soup on the coffee table, all that was left to do was slip into her warm, comfy blue pajama pants with the 'Naughty is Nice' T-shirt and the settle in to watch 'It's a Wonderful Life' for the millionth time while reciting the dialogue word for word.

At some point, Kylie must have fell asleep on the couch with the chopsticks in hand. They weren't being used to eat with, poor girl would starve if those were the only utensils to be had. Sure, you could stab the meat; but, eating rice with those things was impossible. Instead, they'd been used a puppets to mime the conversation of the show. Even that effort failed to keep her awake. Around three am, there was a rap at the door which was ignored at first. Then more rapping roused her enough to look at the time. "Who in the world?" Raising up to a massive crick in her neck from sleeping with her head on the arm of the couch. "Ow..owowow!" Rubbing along the side of her sore neck, banging her right foot against the coffee table while stumbling around in the dim light while yelling. "Cool your jets, I'm coming, I'm coming."

"I've had Santa back off on the snow in New Mexico. I mean, really? Snow? Now? He gets too giddy about snowmen I think. Flights will start back up in two hours. They should make it to her apartment in time for breakfast." Mrs. Claus flopped back in her plush rocking chair with a sigh of relief. "We need to coordinate these things better next year. My hair can't get any whiter."

Two locks and a chain secured the door. Bleary, sleepy eyes tried to focus on the locks first. Cracking open that door just enough to see what all the ruckus was about.

"I just flew in from Afghanistan, rerouted my flight to Atlanta after much begging to accomplish such, been lucky enough get a place on standby and this Senator or something gave me his first class seat, imagine that. Just so I could fly all the way here and this is how you treat me?" Said the smiling lips aimed at the crack in the door.

"Gabe!" In the rush to open the door, she broke the chain clean off. Which doesn't say much for it's ability to stop burglers. First things first, both arms flew around his neck which meant her feet had to swing free since he was over a foot taller than her. The second thing was .."Ugh..you smell.." with the wrinkling of her nose. "What are you doing here? Everything was booked or closed. Didn't think you'd make it."

"Geesh, harsh much." Shrugging at her question. "Magic I guess." Pressing a kiss to her cheek after disengaging from the strangle hold. "Haven't showered in three days. Slept in hanger floors and airports. But.." Tugging the duffle bag inside. "I'm here and hoping you have a working one." Rubbing the overgrown stubble on his face while taking a look around the place. "Nice. Mom and dad will be pleased when they arrive."

"I can't believe you're here." Kylie poked her brother right in the chest over his 2nd Lt velcro rank which she'd often steal. "Sorry to tell you this; but, they can't make it." For whatever reason, Gabe was smiling an almost movie style grin. "Why are you smiling like that? Your brain must have turned to mush."

'He's not going to tell her is he? That's mean. Sweet though."

"Nobby, stop snooping."

"Aww, please, Mrs. Clause. I just want to see. You've let the other elves peek in to see the ending before."

"Oh, very well. Don't snoop too long, you nosey bugger."

"Noooope..not much. Just happy to be back in the states. Anyway, I'm hitting the shower and taking a nap, kiddo." Mussing up her hair before doing just that. Not without leaving an early present behind. "See if you can figure it out."

She spent an hour trying to decipher the puzzle that was an engraved, rose colored wooden box. It had the carving of an elephant but no key hole or opening to be found. Kylie pushed, ran her fingers over every surface and thought about taking a hammer to it until a corner piece moved just a hair then was slide upon about an inch where a tiny key fell out. "Aha..where's the hole?" After more gentle pushing along every piece, a vertical section was pulled down to reveal the keyhole to match the key. With a twist, the lid finally opened to find a dark blue, lapis heart on a silver chain. Blue being her favorite color. It was tempting to thank Gabe now. However, from the snoring from the only bedroom, any show of appreciation could wait in favor of a few more hours sleep for both of them.

Bright and early at seven A.M. Christmas morning, the turkey went in the oven. Together, the siblings decorated the tree and started on the sides even though it was way too much food for just two. "We could donate some to the homeless shelter I guess." She couldn't eat that much turkey in a month.

"I don't know about that. MRE's get old after awhile. I might eat it all myself." Come ten AM, there was another knock at the door and a confession. "You should probably get that." spoken with his signature, sly grin. "That should be your Christmas present."

"Here it comes..here it comes!" Shushing the large assembly of elves eating popcorn while sitting in front of Santa's magic screen.

"What?" Just now figuring out he was up to something more than just a surprise visit. As soon as the door was open, in came her parents along with her brother Josh, his wife Angela and their daughter, Zoey plus a bag of presents.

"Surprise!" All yelling together.

"But how did you? You said you were? ....I didn't know Dad could keep a secret." Normally, he breaks down and blabs two seconds after being told. "I'm impressed." Offering hugs and kisses all around while realizing this hadn't been such a silent night at all.

"I talked to them in the cab on my way here. Airport opened up not long after they talked to you." Gabe just shrugged. Their dad couldn't keep a secret; but, he could. "They sent Bo to the neighbors, the car was still packed and their flight left at 11pm. I would have told you; but, I didn't." Thumping her in the nose. "You didn't think we'd let you spend Christmas alone? Plus, the weather is awesome here. I can't wait to hit the beach..."

"Turn the TV off and go to bed, Nobby..and the rest of you too. we start getting ready for next year. I need all of you rested up."

"Alright, alright.." Glancing at the screen one last time as the families' smiling face said it all. "Merry Christmas, everyone."