PDA

View Full Version : (Jan '16) Prompt 3 - The Other Side

Naraness
01-03-2016, 07:09 AM
January's third prompt is the phrase "The Other Side"

If you have any questions about how to participate in this event,
please visit the rules (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63004) thread or PM Naraness (http://role-player.net/forum/member.php?u=24919).

Happy writing!

Mariel
01-14-2016, 03:18 AM
'Til Death Do Us Part
Simba
Written in collaboration with Karmz entry

The sweet smells of spring rose up in the air - lush gardens were starting to bloom and the small creatures who were once lost in hibernation began to frolic about the serene landscape. Everything was perfect, everything was beautiful - put together in a way that made it seem near impossible that the ties holding it all together could ever be cut.

Everything sickeningly perfect.

Warm rays shined down from the clear blue sky, gently caressing the world as it began to leave morning behind. Such a sweet touch, warm and loving like that of a mother’s to her child while she cradled the small creature in her arms. Pleasant, perfect.

A disturbance rippled across the scene, a tidal wave effect which sent the beautiful creatures running - even the petals of nearby flowers seemed to droop, displeased by the unwelcome sound. A young woman stood on a slate blue front porch, the slamming of her black front door the cause of the disturbance.

She wore a simple black dress which exposed her pale limbs to the rays of light above. Yet, as she moved from the cover of the porch, the rays seemed to reflect off her skin - as if she were undeserving of the sun’s caress.

It knew.

The universe was all knowing and not even Simba could escape from the glaring eye staring down at her. It was constant, persistent - following her everywhere she went so she could never forget. She supposed it was her punishment, a just one indeed, and she simply shrugged off the cold feeling left surrounding her as she made it to her car.

Without any hesitation Simba started the car, the engine’s loud churning only disturbing the surroundings even more. As she pulled away from the curve, a trail of black exhaust was left behind while she sped down the road.

It should be a happy day, a joyful reunion. Simba’s face should be lit up; a smile instead of a rigid frown, blush on her cheeks instead of her white skin tone, excitement in her eyes instead of hopelessness, and butterflies in her stomach instead of a nauseating feeling. It was all wrong and nothing could be fixed - so why was she even going?

Why did she continue to send letters to him, giving them both some sense of hope that things were okay. Deep down, maybe she did want things to be okay - to be the way they used to be. Everything was perfect, life was good, and she was happy.

They were both happy.

But now? Not now. Her trust was gone, her entire world had been shattered by one accident. Was it really an accident? Simba shook her head. These were the thoughts which kept her up at night, unable to sleep as she ran every possible scenario through her head. It had broken her heart, he had broken her heart. Yet, despite all that, she still wore the silver, diamond encrusted engagement ring Jonathan had given her. It brought back the memories of times gone by, the times she wanted back so desperately but knew would never be possible - not in this life, at least.

Finally, after what seemed like the longest drive she had ever been on, Simba pulled up to the prison. Her green eyes gazed over the grey exterior as she sat in the car, parked in one of the visitor parking lots. Her heart had started racing now at the thought of being so close to the man she had not seen since the day he was given his sentence.

The thought of putting the car into reverse and running back home crossed her mind more than once in those minutes she sat staring at the grey walls. But she knew she couldn’t just leave, she couldn’t continue to run away from the nagging truth in the back of her head. No, it was something that needed to come out now.

Time seemed to slow down drastically, each step she took harder to make as the wall of glass separating the prisoners and their visitors came into view. There was no one else there, and Simba wasn’t sure if this was a good thing or not. At least there wouldn’t be anyone else to judge the secrets that were soon to be spilt.

She swallowed hard as her fiance first stepped into view. He looked the same, but so different at the same time. It was almost as if he was playing a character in some film - it was him, but it wasn’t.

He seemed happy, and it only made sense, right? It has been a long time since they saw one another, since they heard each other's voices. She only wished she could share the same enthusiasm with him, but there was too much weighing her thoughts down.

His blue eyes stared at her even as he sat down, almost causing her to cringe back and run from the room, out of shame. He looked so happy. And here she was, nothing short of miserable while standing in his presence. Simba was uneasy, obviously apparent as it took her a few seconds to make her way to sit down across from him.

Still on edge, Simba fidgeted slightly in her seat. Unsure of what to say, she merely looked at Jonathan’s blue eyes from the other side, hoping he would break the ice and make this encounter easier for them both.

And he finally did, but his words, his voice - it broke her heart all over again. She held onto the phone tightly, cherishing the only means of interaction between them. A cord, a damn cord and glass - such simple things yet they separated them completely.
And his smile, the sweet smile that always brought her to her knees. It shook her to the very core right now. How happy he was, so happy to see her with a slight look of desperation as he waited for her to answer him. Just to say one thing, but still, Simba was at a loss of what to say. There were so many words she had, so many things to tell him, to say to him - yet it was all too much.

“I miss you.” How fitting. Three little words, out of all she needed to say, the simplest of those needed to come first. It was sure to be obvious, of course they missed one another. If not, then she wouldn’t be here - she never would have responded to the letters he had sent her. But yet, it was all she could manage to say.

But it wasn’t enough, he needed more, more than just a slap in the face with three obvious words which had no feeling to them. His voice, it brought back some warmth to her cold exterior, but her’s was so cold towards him. It shouldn’t be like that, Simba wanted nothing more than to be as excited as he was now, as caring and loving as he was.

Her body relaxed some, seeing his hand placed against the glass wall - a feeble attempt to feel her warm touch once again. The green of her eyes moved towards his palm, so desperate for a taste of what her skin felt like, longing for that pleasure. Despite the glass, Simba could not deny him that longing longer and reached forth with her left hand, the diamonds on her ring glistening in the fluorescent light as she held her palm against his.

The glass though. It was so cold.

Not even the warmth of their hands could penetrate the icy prison. They were still apart, separated by a billion miles in Simba’s mind, and it would be forever before they could once again be on the same side.

“It’s been so long… I should have came before.”

Guilt welled up within her emerald eyes. She stayed away too long, she kept things from him for too long. But now, here they were. And it was finally time to let everything come to light - he told her to, he wanted to know everything, after all.

Simba could tell Jonathan wanted nothing more than to hear wonderful things. He wanted to hear she was doing well, she was living and still loved him more than anything - and honestly, she did. But that wasn’t why she was here. No, there was more he needed to hear than gushing over seeing his face, hearing his voice.

“You hurt me, so much… yet, I still love you.” Her words seeped from her lips slowly, wanting to make sure he took in the full effect of what she was telling him. It was important, he needed to know.

“You left me alone, Jonathan. You gave me promises of being forever, yet here we are, on opposite sides of one another with no hope of actually being together.” Simba’s voice cracked slightly, and her entire exterior seemed to do the same. Pain growing on her face, the years of hurt finally breaking through as she spilled her guts out to her love.

“And please don’t say it will be okay, because it won’t. Jonathan, you did something horrible and so did I. It isn’t just what you did,” She shook her head, more guilt showing on her face as she started to stumble for words yet again. It was hard, how could she tell him? He would be so upset, he would be hurt - would he be able to take it? Simba was unsure, but it had to be said.

Sorry, they were both sorry.

“I know you are,” Simba continued, now her own tears starting to gather in her eyes, clouding the bright green as her hand slumped from the glass. “And so am I, but you.. you left me!” By now she was gripping the phone so tightly her knuckles were turning white, and the first tear drops began to trickle down her porcelain skin. “I didn’t tell you, I couldn’t tell you… you left me alone and pregnant, Jonathan -” It was finally out, but the rest of her secret? she just shook her head as soft sobbing filled the phone line.

A few seconds passed by before Simba spoke up again, not waiting for Jonathan to respond. “I couldn’t do it by myself, I couldn’t do it alone. Ten years? Ten years of no father, of growing up alone, with me trying to do everything alone? I just couldn’t do it, I knew I couldn’t do it.. I couldn’t tell you before, I didn’t know how to - but I couldn’t keep it a secret anymore. I let you down too, and I’m sorry…”

Simba could see the hurt that was in his face, in his eyes. There was so much in it, but she thought now he finally felt all the pain she had felt over the years since he had been gone. It was tremendous, but now he knew.

“You know that we can’t get through this, Jonathan, not in this life. Things will never be the same.” The few streams of tears left on her face were wiped away, and Simba looked up at Jonathan with a broken smile. “I love you.” Was the last thing she said to him before hanging up the phone. She couldn’t look back, she knew there was no going back now. Her shoes scuffed against the floor as she walked past the guards, out of the suffocating prison.

She sat in her car once again, yet this time guilt and hurt weren’t present on her face as she stared at the walls. It was a sense of relief, and after years of torment Simba finally looked at peace. Spring had returned once again, and her car did not create the same disturbance as before when she left the parking lot and took off down the road.

But she was not headed home. Home wasn’t home anymore, it hadn’t been since Jonathan was taken from her. Instead, Simba drove at a luxury speed, further and further from the prison, from their home - from her old life. He should know, he has to know. She thought while staring out at the beautiful waters below the cliffs she was driving on. Of course he does, he knows her better than anyone else.

She gazed out of the windshield, a single tear drop sliding down her skin, but moving to rest on the upturned smile on her face. It's a steep cliff, a long drop - no one could survive. There was a faint murmur of "I'll see you on the other side" before the tires began to smoke, the smell of burning rubber filling the air as the car accelerated quickly, and Livin' On A Prayer sounded through the radio. So fitting, everything was now perfect.

The guardrail stood no chance against the large SUV going at such a fast speed. It crumpled around the front bumper before tearing apart, going over the edge with Simba. The fall seemed so long, it was such a high cliff that seemed to welcome a new world, a new life. That was it, it completed the circle of life, brought about new meaning and yielded Simba a new home. One where everything could finally be put back together, and she closed her eyes before settling into darkness completely.

.Karma.
01-14-2016, 03:23 AM
This story meant for mature audiences only.
**Trigger warning**
This story is not for the sensitive or faint of heart due to dark themes.
Read at your own risk.

'Til Death Do Us Part
Jonathan
Written in collaboration with Laya's entry

Today was the day! Most days were the exact same around here. The same grey jumpsuit, the same bland breakfast, the same free time, the same metal bars to look through, everything the same. But today was different! Even his asshole of a cellie couldn’t ruin his day.

Simba had finally returned his many letters he had written since he had been on the inside. He thought he had lost her for good, but when he saw her name on that envelope where it had been sealed with a kiss. His heart had soared.

Since then, they have been keeping in touch. Simba said she had understood what happened, that she still loved him. He hadn’t meant to kill Tony. Just thinking of his lifeless form lying on the sidewalk still made him cringe on the inside. Simba had written back frequently at first, but they were less often as of recent. Shorter. But that was to be expected right? He couldn’t be there. Oh how he longed to be there with his fiance. To hold the hand that was adorned with the ring he had saved up with. To kiss her soft lips, but instead he was here with a cellmate that stank of body odor, and literal shit.

Yes, the letters had gotten shorter, but in the last one. Within that glorious piece of paper, she had given him a date and time. She was coming to see him! His beautiful Simba, was actually going to come see him in here. He should be embarrassed, he should not want her to see him with this jumpsuit, and knowing that she knew he had committed the crime, but he couldn’t be anything but ecstatic. It was a perfect day. The sun shone bright through the barred windows, he had actually slept all night, with dreams of his beautiful bride to be. It hadn’t smelled of shit when he woke up in his bunk. No one had taken his breakfast.

Time was ticking far too slow, especially when you had nothing better to do then watch the clock. Soon, very soon.

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock. “Jonathan Pierce.” He heard the guard call his name, banging on the bars. Jumping nimbly up from the bed, he had to contain his excitement. What would these men think of him, giddy like a schoolgirl over seeing her. He had to act tough, even though his insides were mush, and his thoughts were on nothing but what she would look like sitting there. How he would feel seeing that familiar sparkle in her eyes. Jonathan hadn’t even noticed he had been let out and was following along behind. Attempting to keep a skip out of his step, he bit his lip as they rounded the corner.

There she was. On the other side. The other side of that thick glass. As gorgeous as she had always been. The auburn wisps of her hair, cascaded down her alabaster skin. Those emerald eyes that made him melt at just a simple glance. They did not hold the spark that he was used to seeing though. It must be hard for her to see him there, to be in this place. It was hard for him too, embarrassing. Guilt racked his body, but she was here. They ought not ruin it with regrets at the moment. Her lips felt like the kiss of an angel, and you could tell that just by looking at their perfect shape. That was the word. She was perfection.

Taking a deep breath he sat in the chair, a smile spreading across his face, his own blue eyes sparkling with the joy of simply being able to look upon her face. They were actually alone. He didn’t know if that was normal, or just something else that was going his way. No one to disturb this moment. Seeing Simba in front of him was like heaven after seeing nothing but grey for so long. Nothing but scruffy faces, tattoos, cement walls, bars. She was like a breath of spring air. As if she had brought it with her from the outside and it encompassed her entire being.

When she sat, he was almost at a loss for words. Not only did she look nervous or upset at their situation. Simba looked miserable. His heart beat quicker, maybe there was nothing really wrong. Possibly just a bad morning, or traffic. Simba possibly had just seen a cat run over on the highway, that always upset her. Finally, he picked up the phone, his blue eyes looking her up and down again before breathing in and out one last time.

“You look absolutely stunning.” That bright smile spread across his face again as he finally broke the ice. Leaning in as far as he could to the glass, he waited. Waiting for that voice with a tone that could put birds to shame.

No words came out of her mouth though, the smile dropped a little as she seemed to fumble for what to say, but any words would be better then silence. Anything. Jonathan's eyes nearly begged her to put him at ease.

Simba didn’t fail him. Those three simple words, brought tears into his blue hues, unable to stop how that had made him feel. The love that had filled his heart in that moment. “Oh, Simba…” He put his hand on the glass, palm out towards her. “...I think I’ve died a little every moment we’ve been apart.”

When her hand came up to meet his, one of the tears slid out of his cerulean eyes. Nothing mattered. She was here now, the ring that symbolized their undying love for one, still placed on that dainty finger. It was as if he could feel her warmth through the glass, but everything else about her seemed so cold. The tone of her voice, the look in those jade eyes… She was cold as ice, but she had been willing to sacrifice her feelings, for their love. Jonathan knew it had to be hard, that is why she had waited, he couldn’t imagine the feelings that coursed through Simba, knowing that he had taken Tony’s life. She was so understanding, so perfect “Shhh it’s okay. I’m overwhelmed that you’re here. Tell me everything!”

He wanted to know every little tiny detail of her life, he wanted to feel as if he was living it with her, even though he was physically unable. He wanted her to let him live in a fantasy world if just for a little while. A world that he was included in.

Luck was not in his favor this time. As the words poured from her mouth, he crumbled. He knew the tone. The smile dropped, his whole posture slumped. His hand on the glass balled into a fist. He wanted to break through, to break through to her on the other side. To hold her and tell her they were going to be okay. They could make it through this. He knew they could!
All he could feel were her fingers reaching into his chest and gripping his heart, as she continued. No, no, no. She had said she understood. That she still loved him. She had said it in those beautiful letters he kept under his mattress. What had happened? What had happened to change that. What had he done, other than the obvious? Opening his mouth to speak, all that came out was a choked sound and finally words stopped failing him. “I’m so sorry… please…”

Simba was crying now, those beautiful eyes deserved nothing but happiness. What had he done to her?

Wait what? All other thoughts froze for a second. A baby? A baby that he wouldn’t get to see grow. That would know a father that was always constantly behind glass, only knowing his voice from- Those thoughts were immediately halted as Simba had continued her confession. A baby he would not know at all. For it was gone. He hadn’t even known there was a possibility, and it was ripped away from him in seconds flat. He was at a loss for words.

No choice was given for him. No time to come to terms or discuss possibilities for the two of them. Simba had taken that away. Yet, he wasn’t really angry at her. He was angry at himself. Jonathan had put her in that position, and himself in the position to be left with no option of an opinion on the matter. His body shook with pain, not only his pain but hers. Slowly and shakily he picked back up the phone, putting it to his ear again. His voice soft and broken, that perfect feeling he had arrived with, was gone. But love still remained.

If Simba could forgive him and love him despite what he had done, Jonathan could as well. They could get through all of this. Their love was stronger than any trial. “W...We can get through this, love, we can. I know we can.” Blue eyes met green as he spoke, heartbreak filled his voice, but there was also sincerity.

“NO, NO!” His fists hit the glass. “SIMBA!” He screamed, his voice shaking and his face soaked with tears as she just walked away. Three words had given him peace when their conversation had started and now three more ripped out his heart and left him there bleeding on the wrong side of the glass.

Jonathan picked up a chair, but before he could toss it against that glass that separated them, he was grabbed by the guards. He didn’t have the strength to struggle. Letting his body slump as they drug him back to his cell. Alone. His cellie wasn’t even there. His whole world was gone. A child and his wife to be ripped from him all in the matter of less than ten minutes.

Simba was what kept him going in this shithole. His sole reason for life, but she was gone. Jonathan knew it was the end. He knew her too well, her feelings had been resolute. He had ruined everything! How could he ever go on without seeing her again. He HAD to see her again. One fist and then the next hit the concrete wall, before looking toward the bed. The tears stopped. His hands now steady as he grabbed the sheet, making knots in one end. Looping it around to just the right size. Climbing up to the top bunk with determination, he tosses the sheet over a sturdy water pipe. He had to be fast. There was no time to spare before he was discovered. Pulling the sheet over the opposite side of the pipe, he tied knot after knot, ensuring it would not break. Placing the loop over his head, he took a deep breath, a soft whisper coming from his lips. “I’ll see you on the other side.” No hesitation, he tightened the makeshift noose and lept off the bunk.

The sheet did not fail him. The white circle of cloth around his neck, completing the circle of life, as it tightened around his neck. A snap and he was gone, with a vision of emerald eyes to lead him into that peaceful darkness.

~N~
01-21-2016, 02:00 AM
I can't see you, baby, even though my eyes are open wide... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0LhVSc2zqI)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He told me he'd leave. He did warn me. I didn't want to believe him. If you knew him, you would understand. In this, I was blameless.

It was like he was always there, even if he wasn't. Like some untouchable legend. You couldn't lay your fingers on him, or he'd up and disappear. Poof! Just like that. Just like a dream. Too good to be true.

And yet he wasn't. He was absolutely, positively, fucking unbelievably horrible. Yes, he was! An unholy terror. Whispering his name, rumor had it, would summon him into this plane of existence like some kind of forgotten demon whose name had been erased from history on purpose.

Still, I loved him, from afar, when he'd let me. I'd kill a thousand innocent people just to wrap my arms around him even if I would never actually--never could actually do that. It just... well, you don't go racing up to an angel and hug the shit out of him. It just isn't done. I might get him dirty or something.

Or he might disapprove. With a look.

He wouldn't waste words on someone like me. A single look would be enough to turn my whole world to ash, and my body into a gooey mess. Christ. Such power. You could literally warm yourself by it. Inch within the solar radius of his illuminated orbit and just bask in the glow. But not too close, or you might get burned, or you might get others jealous. The first was worse, but you had to live with the second. Nobody would forgive that. It had to all be done so carefully.

He was here. He was here among us and we were lucky. Cursed and blessed at once. God knows any one of us... well, almost any one of us would have been happy to keep him all to ourselves forever and ever and ever, but you can't hold the sun.

Semele found that out. Poor girl. Burned alive in the fires of a passion that was far too much for any mortal body to handle. You could only imagine what searing ecstasy she might have felt before she turned to ash.

And maybe feel a bit jealous that it wasn't you. You had to give it to her; at least she had the guts to approach him. Suicidal perhaps, but you had to give it to her. It's not every day, a girl gets crazy enough to up and initiate a romance--but with him? You'd have to be leagues out of your mind and off your rocker so far that you make those girls in that one film with Angelina Jolie look Plain Jane sane.

Timid little wallflowers like myself just don't stand a snowball's chance in hell. Or at least that's what I tell myself at night. Lying there. Under the covers. Hands where they shouldn't be...

... but when you have an itch you just can't scratch the way you really want to...

Am I right?

I get anxiety fits just thinking about it. When I'm not getting all besides myself and... is it warm in here?

Get a hold of yourself, girl. Way outta yer league. Still...

I mean, yes, I know, the man is impossible to live with. Probably. I mean, there's not enough room in the world for his ego and... anything else, but really... I can work with that. I'm sure it isn't terrible, him being in the limelight 24/7.

Or maybe it would be. But really? It would work itself out. I mean, I would be lucky just to have him pay attention to me for even ten minutes...

I'm not usually one for sharing, but for him? I could bend the rules. A little.

So long as he came home to me, that's what matters. And the ring. Imagine. The way all the girls would look at me. Instant royalty. Life achievement, accomplished. I'd never need another man in my life again.

Look, don't get me wrong, I'd want it to be all about me, but even if it wasn't, I get it, you know? He has needs. He's a man.

And what a man he is. It happens. I've read about it. The couples, they just don't talk about it. These things happen.

That's what I thought anyway. And who could blame me? God. Any of my girlfriends all tell me they would've done the same. Once you get the ring, it's supposed to mean something, right? All dressed in white, walk down the aisle, yours forever, til death do us part.

I didn't think he'd just up and leave! I let him have his fun! Ungrateful fucking bastard.

Still. There'll never be anyone like him. That bitch he's with right now doesn't appreciate or treat him as well as I did. Nobody will ever treat him as well as I did!!

I was the perfect girlfriend! The perfect wife! What else could he want!

I was a damned fool.

Of course he wouldn't be happy with me. How could he be? He's... well, he's him. And I... I'm... well, I'm me. Hardly a model. Hardly perfect.

It's a wonder he noticed me at all. I'm not tall enough, not thin enough. I've got this mark her on my face. What do you mean you can't see it, it's right there. Jeez.

Who was I kidding. Way outta my league. I was lucky. I should feel lucky. I should feel lucky, I keep telling myself.

Standing at the top of the world.

Not really. Manhattan is all around me, rising into the night sky with all its Art Deco brazen bullshit spires. I'm tired of tall buildings, brightly lit with salaries and lives beyond my own. So what if I live in the penthouse of my building on 43rd st.

It'll never be enough. Never tall enough, never good enough.

I picked a nice night anyway. Summer. Three o'clock in the morning, when there's hardly any traffic -- I might even make the morning news before they scrape me off the sidewalk.

I don't care. It'll fucking leave a mark, I know it. He'll watch. He'll feel a pang of regret, and loss! He'll know!

I finish off the bottle of wine. Liquid courage. Dressed to the nines.

"See you on the other side, lover."

Just a whisper.

And a jump.

And a fluttering drop...

Kicks
01-23-2016, 05:25 AM
It doesn't happen in a minute, a second, an hour, or even a day. It happens over the course of years, of months, of times changing. And it doesn't strike your mind when you're still watching them grow to be good people. When you're watching them make mistakes and learn from them. Or as you let your responsibilities drop for a moment to be the sibling and the first friend that your younger siblings will first have.

It happens over time, dozens of years, of months... And yet it seems so out of the blue. That's why the phrase is so welcomed and so true "they grow up so fast" because in all they really do and that's the other side of the quote. But it takes so much time. One moment, one memory, one flicker of time you are watching them dig holes in the front yard or helping them with homework and schoolyard bullies. You are cutting off one of their piggy tails or holding them as they cry because someone called them "pig face". You're chasing after their bullies with a stick or a yard from the schoolyard. You're tackling that bully to the ground and pummeling their face in without a care in the world for the repercussions to follow. All you know in that flicker of time, of that memory, of that brief moment in the years to follow is that you have to protect your younger sibling.

It's a weird role to be the eldest. You are both the parent and the friend. You are the sibling to rely on, and the one that puts up with the most crap. You have the most responsibility and at times it's weird for you because you don't know your exact role.

But it comes so naturally to you and you just go with it because it feels right.

And you don't even think when you're younger that one day you're all going to grow up and you're going to start tearing up because you see how they have changed over the years and who they are growing to be and you are so proud. But you're also so heart broken because they're growing up and you still want to protect them. You want to be there to fight the monsters in their life. But you can't because at some point in their lives they don't need you anymore.

The most heartbreaking thing about it all is that they don't need you anymore.

You've spent your whole life protecting them and helping them. You've been there for them through the good and the bad. You were always the parent and the best friend. And then one day they just stop needing you.

"You've done a good job then" is what you're told. But you still worry. Nothing about it eases your worries. You just want to be there to help, and you always will be.

You go from watching them proudly presenting a mud pie to submitting an application in for college. And though you may only be months apart in age to several years, it still feels like your miles away from each other in age.

Sometimes you get the worst realizations of how much time has passed. Milestones in their lives like college acceptance or their birthday makes you realize how much has changed. And you just start to cry. You don't know why you're crying. You just know that you feel so in pain but so proud.

For seconds you want it all back. You want them to being little again and playing with you on bikes, daring each other to jump hills and tracks. You want to be sharing clothes and sharing dolls. You want to be back with them when you still stayed up late to watch shows together.

When you both spent your allowance money on junk food for a marathon of your favorite anime or show. And you spent late nights just talking or complaining to each other about the ailments of that day. You're talking about crushes and you're giving them all the advice you can possibly can because somehow you have learned so much more than them in this life already.

You're crying because they grow so fast. But that's a fed lie too because it takes so much time to get to that point where you are crying because they've grown. Because they're becoming this fucking awesome person.

They go from picking their nose and placing their boogers along anything they can possibly put their sticky fingers against. They go from wearing your clothes because they want to be like you, they want to look like you. They go from spending nights on the floor of your room because they've had a nightmare and you can be there to protect them. Yes, the nights they sneak into your room and demand your attention to protect them.

And they still do need you during those nightmares. They still try to sneak into your room at night and leave before you wake. You pretend not to know. But it's funny to you and also it makes you feel good because in some way they still need you.

Sometimes it doesn't even cross your mind as you're still spending time with them, laughing over stupid fucking jokes. Making impersonations because it's fucking hilarious. You're watching Pewdiepie and other youtubers together that they somehow managed to get you addicted to. You're teaching them what girls like, or what to do if you have a crush on a boy. And you tell each other ridiculous stories.

You're scaring the shit out of each other late at night only to regret it later when they tell on you for scaring them.

But for now you're reflecting on how the times have changed and how they have grown. And how they don't need you anymore. How heartbreaking and how proud you are at the same time. It's the sort of feeling that you can only understand if you're the eldest.

m139
01-23-2016, 06:27 AM
The Other Side
sequel to Renegade - and end of story

Run, run, run. The words continued to echo. Now, however, they were a distant tune, just something he kept in the background. It had been fifteen days now. It almost seemed as if they were not chasing him. Perhaps they were just waiting for nature to kill him by itself? Perhaps. The berries and the small whatever little animal they were that he had shot did taste kind of weird. Still, he could not believe the Resistance would leave his life up to chance.

And so, he kept going, on and on by that sidewalk. Someday, it widened, and it seemed as if it went through what once was a city. He could even see mounds of dirt covering what once may have been the foundations of buildings. Other days, the sidewalk disappeared completely, and he was left trying to find the remains of whatever road must have once gone through this reason. He had completely lost the trail once or twice, and had had to backtrack to find it, but was still on the right path. He knew it.

East, east, and always east. Based on what the man had said, as well as his own guessed pace, he should reach the magnificent city before nightfall. And so he continued, running not so much in fear, but more so in anticipation.

It was not too far after miday when he first saw the signs of something in the distance. There were walls, just as there had been around on his city. The only difference was that these walls were a bit shorter, and seemed, from a distance, to be green and brown. The ones around has city had been white.

As he approached, he could tell that they were not "walls" in the traditional sense, but instead seemed to be giant walls of dirt. It was as if someone had chopped off the top of a mountain, and then hollowed it all out. At least, he hoped it was hollowed out. The path seemed to be leading there, and if this was not it, well, he did not know where else he would go. Still, no need to worry yet.

The path ended at the base of the wall. For a little bit, he walked around part of the base, then, finding a good place, began the steep upward ascent.

Hand over hand, foot over foot. Higher and higher he went. There was just enough angel that if he slipped, he would slide rather than plummet, but it was steep enough that if he did so (and he did a few times) it was a pain to regain the lost altitude. But regain it, he did. Yet each time, he got higher and higher, and slipped less frequently and less far, until eventually he reached the top. Then, he pulled himself onto the top of the mound, to survey the beautiful city below...

Or at least, he has thought he would survey a beautiful city down below. In reality, there seemed to be nothing beautiful. The area was all brown, and sandy, with no color except for a couple of small gray buildings, about five in number, the largest of which was two stories. There were a few half collapsed buildings here and there, in the same drab gray, but surely, this could not be the great city that other man had been talking about. Surely not.

Yet judging by the distance, as well as its location, this was it. If it was so, then, what had happened?

The boy slid down the bank (which was less steep on this side), and into the city. He begin to approach one of the small building that were still in one piece. He had just placed his hand on the doorknob when suddenly, from behind him, a voice:

"Well, you've finally arrived, have you?"

Instantly the boy whirled around, gun up. In front of him was an older man, obviously one of the Government, as he was dressed head to toe in the official green suit.

The man smiled and continued, unperturbed by the gun, "Oh, there's no need for that. You and I both know that you spent your last shot killing a wampergauzet yesterday. And before you get any other bright ideas..." He snapped his fingers. Instantly, from each of the buildings, except for the one behind the boy, a man stepped out. And each of them pointed a gun at the youth.

The man watched as the boy trembled, and the gun fell out of his hand. "Now then, afraid of death?" the man said, tauntingly, "Little Clarisse- she's the one you killed would be ashamed of you."

"Is this... is this the reason your here now?" somehow, he had worked up the courage to speak. If he was going to die, he might as well know what he was going to die for, and so he continued, now standing straight and with steady voice, "If so-"

Suddenly, the man interrupted, "About her? H*** no! Ha! That's a good one. No, you did a good job killing her."

Here, the man stopped, and observed the confused look on the boys face. Then, he continued. "Yes, I wanted her killed. She was too charismatic for her own good. Who knew what trouble she could start in out little system. And she knew to much. Way to much. She learned the Resistance and the Government were one and the same."

Here he paused again, delighting in the boy's attempts to appear composed. This information was obviously hitting him hard. "Yes, one and same, I say. It just was an easier way to control certain people. Make them think they are fighting for the higher ideal. Make them think as if their pathetic lives, which by day they spend doing ordinary work, are actually useful because they kill off the lazy stock at night. And, to certain few, give them a hope that their own city can become a utopia, like that far off city they shall never see... That city she talked about? And that city your friend claimed never existed? Well, your here. Here in the middle of no place. There is no other city but the one you and I came from. There's no real hope but that which is imagined. There's no real Resistance versus Government."

The look on the boy's face was precious. He paused for a moment, proud of his work, and continued,

"Don't you see? There is no other side." He looked down at the boy and smiled. "You and I, we are all on the same team. All for the elite, as it always has been. You squirm and fight against yourselves, I sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labor and laugh at you. But perhaps, a better expression would be you were on the same team. But too curious, you were, too curious."

He gave an insincere sad smile, and then raised his hand. As he turned around, the sounds of four shots could be heard, ringing through they empty air. They were immediately followed by the sound of the boy's lifeless form falling into the lifeless soil.

A few minutes later, these sounds were followed by the commander's voice, summoning his men to be off, then the sound of helicopter wings which slowly faded into the distance.

And then, there was no sound, and almost no sign of anyone ever being there. True, the corpse was still there, but within a few days, it would be covered by sand, forgotten in this wilderness on the other side of the wall as he had already been forgotten in the city.

Griff
01-30-2016, 04:42 PM
"Hey Maddie," A rasping harsh voice echoed across the dark grey walls, the concrete adding to how far the sound traveled.

The voice came from a cell block, the man who spoke was leaning against the cell door aimlessly tapping his foot on the floor. A heavyset white woman in a guard's uniform came around the corner, smirking at the man, her expression heightening the wrinkles on her face and the grey streaks in her chestnut hair. "How you doin' Jimmy?" She spoke with a strong New York accent lacing her words.

"I'm doing fine," He grinned and spoke back, pushing back his slick oil-ridden brown hair. "Have ya' heard, I'm getting out today."

Laughing Madeline spoke back, "It better be the last time, okay? I'm tired of seein' your fat ass getting thrown back in here."

Feigning hurt, he replied, "I'm offended, when would I ever go back to stealing?" He placed a hand on his chest in an exaggerated manner.

Smiling sadly she responded, "I'm being serious, I don't want you back here."

Rubbing his hand across his stubbly chin, he said, "Yeah, I know. I'll try not to come back. I'll miss you though."

"I know you will." She chuckled smugly as she walked away to continue her rounds.

Going back to stare up at the ceiling, Jimmy waited for the next set of guards to take him to the truck that would release him. He was going out with a group of about twenty other men, more than half would probably end up back in there. It wasn't fair, but it was life. You just had to deal with the fact that the way you acted isn't normal behavior, and being in prison certainly didn't help that. Everyone here acted the same, and you could respect that. Our rules were different, they were a lot simpler. If you were in a white gang, don't take food from a black person, that would get you killed. If you were in a black gang don't take food from a white person and vice versa. Sure the area was more hostile, but it was still a community all the same. Out on the other side of the prison, the rules were different. It was far more hostile.

This had been Jimmy's third time back, and this had been his longest incarceration yet. He had been here for three months, mostly due to the fact that he was a repeat offender. He never did anything too bad compared to the other inmates surrounding him, but stealing a car three times isn't the best thing to have on your record. Jimmy was just stubborn. And stupid, as Maddie often liked to remind him.

"James, why'd you have to be so stupid? You stole another car? What the hell is wrong with you boy." Jimmy remembered Maddie telling him once. She was pissed.

Hearing people walk down the hallway, he snapped his head up and saw the guards coming to release him. Following their orders of making him stand by the wall, he felt the handcuffs go on as he was led out of his cell.

Passing a handful of other cells he could hear the other inmates make noise, some cheering, and some jeering. Typical noise. He saw some of the prisoners smiling at them, and he nodded his head in respect, they would probably get out soon.

He was lead to another larger cell filled with about twenty other inmates. They were being processed now and were waiting for the bus that would take them out. Sitting down on the benches that adorned the walls, he saw the couple sitting across from them. At least they were being released together, they probably had a better chance of staying out. The young man keeping to himself in the corner probably had a good chance of staying out, as long as the time he spent in prison scared him enough.

As for the rest though, they had about as good a chance as him of staying out. About 50/50. If they had family it would increase their chances, but knowing most of them their family probably didn't care about them. Those ones had the hardest time staying out. To them, why would you stay out when you have to follow society's laws, and in prison you'd get free room and board.

Jimmy used to think like that, but then he met Maddie, and he knew what he wanted to do. Outside, he wanted to meet a girl like Maddie, and be happy. Sure, he was fine with prison, but he wanted to live. To be happy. Jimmy had never been on a plane before, or even been to another country. He wanted to save up and do that eventually. He told Maddie this and she was proud of him, she said a man had to have a goal in life, and that those were pretty fine ones.

They were calling out names now to load people onto the truck.

"James Crawfield."

Jimmy stood up and walked into the loading truck filled with his other newly freed inmates. They were being driven to the bus stop where someone was going to pick them up. For Jimmy, it was a taxi. His other relatives were either dead, or didn't care about him no more, and he was fine with that. He'd find a way to survive, first he was going to get a job.then a place to live, and then he'd have his life back. Things were looking up for him now that he was on the other side of the bars. He promised Maddie that he'd stay out, and that was a promise he intended to keep. It would be a long and hard journey, but he wanted to make her proud. That was all he had to do to be happy. As the truck arrived at its stop, he stepped out and into the sun, and got in his taxi to leave and make a new life. He finally felt free.

Kris
01-31-2016, 12:23 AM
In day’s embrace
I cannot rest.
Somewhere in time
Somewhere in time.

I remained alive in some horrible painting. Mine, drawn off blood and hatered. This was my fate.

Ironic. I always loved to draw...

Who knew I was gonna be sealed within colors and frames. series of images, "still life", with no soul. The wind from the void will blow from time to time (somehow) and remind me of my captivity with fake movements upon the fake plants.

I have sought the impossible and have paid a great price for it.

You.

Wasn't it you?

The shadows linger over the canvass as my voice transcend the void, empty corridors I once considered my "home".

Down and down I descend into the rabbit hole, lost to reality, lost to sound, lost to my awareness.

"Thief", I cry.

It was you, wasn't it not?

I wish I could recall the day. The day my heart exploded in a gush of blood and sadness. I was left naked on the red bed in a chamber full of beautiful crimson carpets adoring the sculptures and pictures on the walls.

You loved art didn't you?

Was this the reason you desired me?

I was a beauty incarnate after all. Maybe I was just a treasure to be bought and saved to be looked upon?

Was I to know I would end like all of your perfect statues?

Shattered, broken. A toy to be used tossed while you were the boy who has just gotten a new shiny plaything. Dust to dust, ashes to ashes, I burn in my private hell, a hell I have so cleverly locked myself in. If I could make my time anew, would I have chosen a different path?

In night forgotten
My corpse has rotten
Somewhere in time
Somewhere in time.

The colors in which I painted this image have their unusual aroma. The stench is strong and I have almost forgotten your smell and taste. I find myself pacing in your study room, in my painted version of it, only to find a shadow of another, which is also escaping me.

It was you.

Or maybe it was not?

Now I move between two worlds, observing from the other side. Occasionally a stranger will try to enter my walls, and I will fight his rude penetration. My voice will toy his mind with a terrible shriek, as my spirit will jump from frame to frame.

I will watch his horror as he observes my many pictures, in all of them I am grinning. If he to try and do me harm, I will simply dive back and renew myself.

My screams are horrible.

THIEF!

A banshee heralding death.

How long have I toyed with life? I feel like it is all a part of never ending nightmares. My own worst nightmares.

Only thieves and rogues dare enter now... They wish to steal and take away what keeps me here, my anchors. the silver mug, the golden necklace, the violet rose. I cannot allow them to do so, for this house has a place for only one such of your kind.

You.

A scandaler.

You have stolen so much from me and yet you dare not return and let me steal you back.

But should you return what then? What can I possibly steal from a man with no heart?

The glimmer of your beautiful eyes reflected in the pets you brought to guard me. Eyes the devil will be proud to steal...

My corpse lies unburied, in our chamber, where you left me. My fear was ever to be left without a tomb, with unspoken kind words at my parting. Why have you done so much just to leave me here?

I am awake now. The work of another.

It wasn't you.

After all this time it wasn't you.

Even after all the secrets been found, that man has not shy away from me. Not in death. Unlike you, who have decided to part with me while I was still alive. He saw it all, how you slowly turned into something you were not. How the good in you was replaced with reflaction of stone.

He saw how you became your art. Cold and distance, without answers or kind words.

Once everything was set in place, and I was finally in harmony he requested just one thing. I looked into my hands to see your parting gift to me. The rose. How dark and purple it has become in your absent. And yet, I felt selfish. I wished to keep this momento to myself, something from you. Something that was mine alone.

And yet, this stranger was more familiar with my emotions that you had ever been. He insisted on the rose knowing full well that everything that I built around me will crumble to dust the moment I part from it.

I hesitated. I have only just truly awakened. It was cruel...

And yet... it was even more kinder gesture than everything you did...

I gave it up. Everything started to disappear. Walls, earth, sky. I watched the stranger leaving safely, departing from the canvas to another world, his world.

And me?

What about me?

I was to meet my demise. I already lived once. My time wasted away and I needed to move on... let go... Of memories, past, emotions.

I felt a soft wind over my nape and a warm sun light. How long since I felt so alive? In those few seconds before I was to stop being what I was, I felt more free than ever. I gained freedom, and freedom is short lived.

But if there is something beyond the ever lasting darkness, I will find myself there.

It was me.

All about me.

Always about me.

I am flying to a new world. A world of new sensations, dreams and hopes. A world which I can paint my way. A world of freedom and new colors. A world of happiness.

A world of me.