PDA

View Full Version : (Feb '16) Prompt #1 - The Ring

Naraness
02-01-2016, 04:46 PM
February's first prompt of the month is "The Ring"

If you have any questions about how to participate in this event,
please visit the rules (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77770) thread or PM Naraness (http://role-player.net/forum/member.php?u=24919).

Happy writing!

NnightStalker
02-12-2016, 05:18 PM
The Ring. Such a simple object yet, for as long as humans have existed we have placed such importance on such a simple thing. A ring of stone, representing one thing in the past, can represent many things in the future. What could it have been for? Religion? Astronomy? Astrology? Maybe it was landing site for aliens? It's original purpose shall never be known, because nothing erases quite like time. A ring of gold, with a diamond on top. Such importance recognized globally around the world. A commitment, a promise that says I will be yours and you will be mine, until the day we die. However like all things time erases that what we commit, what we promise. A ring of flesh, representing death. It comes in many colors, blue, green, yellow, but most commonly black. Usually seen in poisons, necrosis, snakes, death. Simply another ring that time goes to erase and remove from memory. A ring of rubber, used for moving something from point A to point B. A focus from the dawn of time to the end of time. An importance placed in everyday life. Transportation, Speed, Racing, Movement, Mechanical Energy made simple. A ring of light, seen as we look up everyday wondering our place in life. Something that provides warmth, comfort, stability, life. Something so common in the universe, something taken so for granted, something that we don't realize how lucky we are to have. A ring of electrons, science, power, destruction, life, everything. The very basis for what other rings are made from. The first ring, the last ring, the most common ring, the most unique ring. A ring of invisible science, a location, the habitable zone, not to far as to be too cold, yet not to close as to be too warm. A ring of ice and crystals, floating through space, kept in place by the gravity of a gas giant. Something so simple yet so beautiful, something that is hidden with chaos is looked upon with more love than humanity can give to even each other. A ring of leaves and berries, only seen once a year near the end. Some see it with snow, and others see it with heat, all depending on where they live. Something that is used to represent that which is holy while others use it simply for tradition. A ring of snow crystals, each as unique as the last, never two that are ever the same, no matter how much time goes by. They fall so slowly and they are looked upon with every emotion an animal can feel. Happiness, sadness, anger, relief. Something that both brings life one second, and death the next. The ultimate balance of neutrality. A ring of plastic, that which shows that something has yet to be opened. To some it is a symbol of something good and to others it is nothing more but a toy. A ring of silver, used to keep track of every second of every day for as long as time shall stand. Yet never as accurate as time it's self, only losing a second, here and there. A ring composed of ink, used for communication, one letter in a whole alphabet, yet used in a million different combinations to mean a million plus one, of different things. A ring of wood, made for protection to protect from both things sharp and blunt. Used for life and death but only when it's user determines which it wants. A ring of iron, used to keep people in their place, to make sure that they can't leave. Something that has become a symbol through many movements, something that is frowned upon yet still active everywhere in the world today. A ring of sight, one of the five most important things to a human, that which shows them what the universe has to offer through a filter of light hitting different combinations of atoms. A ring of rosies, and a pocket full of posies, something that we all sang as kids, unbeknownst to us the dark truth that actually laid behind something so sweet. Something that was made as a warning of death, of sickness, and of plague. Something that kids will continue to sing as long as they are innocent, something that adults will continue to watch for in order to protect that what they hold close to their heart. A ring of wood, used to show the good and the bad years of a simple organism. That which gives us the air we breathe and use to live has its own rings to show the history of it's life. A ring of rock, kilometers wide, crashing into each other without a care of the world. Something filled with science, history, life, and destruction. One crash to a bigger body can bring life, while millions of year another crash can bring destruction and death to all that life that was brought just earlier. All in the blink of an eye of the universe. A ring of frozen rocks, when flying close to the sun and seen by any being, it is thought to be that of a sign of impending doom, that is until properly studied. What was once doom becomes culture, beauty, and a spectacle that every being rushes to see. A ring of science, floating around a body that used to have no rings. A man made ring to replace that which nature denied. A ring of hands, linked together holding each other. Promoting stability, good times, arguments, memories. Something that time can erase even if written down. The Ring. Something so simple as a ring controls or life and dictates so many of our actions without us ever giving it a second thought. The Ring, something that holds so much importance in the state of the universe, compressed down into two words, seven letters, a space and a period, and a million different meanings.

Kicks
02-16-2016, 07:03 AM
You think surely it can't be possible. He was out late, but that doesn't immediately mean that he's cheating. You think of all the other possibilities. He was a responsible man, maybe he knew he had too many drinks and decided to just sleep in the car that night instead of risking it. Or maybe a snowstorm hit and he couldn't make it back. Maybe he was just having too much fun.

You can only imagine it now as your mother explains to you how she found out. You ask again just to be sure:

"How did you find out he was having an affair?"
"He didn't return home til three."
"Why?"
"He admitted he was at a strip club."

A strip club? A godly, Christian man in a strip club? But he had even made promises that he would never step foot into one of those. And around here? He would have had to have traveled a great distance to find one of those. He had to be actively searching for that sort of fulfillment.

"-And he thought he had already hurt me, so he might as well just lay the whole thing on me. He told me he is seeing another woman. That he has been seeing her."

Has been... Is... For how long? The question spirals around and around in your head as you try to make sense of it. Not your dad. Of course not your dad. He's too righteous. He was the one that raised you in Christianity, after all. He was the one that taught you what it meant to marry a righteous man, a man that was supposed to love you how God wanted a man to. He had been cheated on before, after all. He had been so much in pain. And now he goes and pulls the same thing.

You're crushed. Your biological mother had already done this to you. She had cheated on your dad and then abandoned you. It had all worked out for the better... But those things leave heavy, deep scars.

The man that had taught you true love existed, that he had found it with your mom here. And now you begin to wonder if love even does exist. If you can even ever trust a person to love you as much as you would love them. To put your whole heart into someone for them to just.... throw it all away.

Years of marriage he had thrown out the window. And when he sat you down to discuss it, to tell you the whole truth you were crying and kept saying: "oh god, oh god no. Dad!"

As you think about it now it seems so surreal. It just can't be real. It was like something that could only happen in a nightmare.

"I'm leaving your mother for another woman."
"Are you serious?"
"Yes."
"Dad no! Oh god!" And then you cover your frail face. That was the moment your whole life shattered. It felt like glass shards in your hands as you frantically try to piece them back together with Elmer's glue.
"Can't you try?! Please just try! Why won't you try?!"
"I will if your mother lets me keep my mistress."
"DAD NO! That's not how it works! You know that's not how it works! Is that where you were last night?! Why you didn't come home until four today?! You were with that WHORE!"
"I would have been back sooner but she lives five hours away."
"Oh god.... oh god no... Why would you do this?! Why would you tear your family apart!"
"Because she has giant boobs."

This isn't your dad. You don't recognize this person sitting on the couch. Is he high? You could swear that's the case. He is high. Where the hell did he get drugs from?! Your dad didn't do drugs!

Where was your dad? And who was this stranger?

"What are you doing?! Are you texting that fucking whore now?!" You scream at him when you see him tapping away at his phone. He can't even take this conversation seriously. You're five minutes in and he has already made several jokes about it. He just doesn't care.
"Oh yeees." And then your mom slaps the phone out of his hand.
"It was just facebook!" He exclaims with a grin on his face.

Fucking asshole. That crosses your mind as you get up from your seat.

"That's not funny." You're sobbing as you scream this at him, "That's not funny at all." And you go to your room. You're there, taking out your phone and calling your grandpa. You need to escape, just go somewhere else. You can't be here. It was too much. How did you end this? How did it get fixed?!

Your grandpa doesn't ask questions, he hears the distress in your voice. He says to come on over. You're pulling on your shoes and jacket, ready to make a run for it. It was forty minutes away in a car, but you were certain you could make it on foot before night fall. But your mother comes in and sits with you. She asks if you want to go for a drive and so you oblige.

It's in the car, miles away that she tells you everything.

"The pastor asked him if he was going to listen to what the Bible says on marriage." She murmurs with tears streaking her face, "He threw his wedding ring in his face."

The ring...

You cover your mouth with a hand. The sobs are rearing again. You haven't cried this much since your biological mother did the same thing.

"He doesn't want to try to fix this. I thought we were happy... Usually you see this thing coming... I still don't get it. Do you get it?" You shake your head back and forth. No. Nobody had seen this coming. He was such a great liar... They were so happy together. They had it perfect. They taught you what perfect love should look like. What it meant to be blessed by God in a marriage. What it meant to be married.

"I don't know..." You cry. There were possibilities running through your head. Maybe he just wanted it all. Maybe he wanted to be like those big movie stars he looked up to.

"I told him he can't have his mistress and be staying with me."

How are you supposed to come through this? How are you supposed to look at this and what you believe? The person that raised you in this belief... turning his back on it completely. How are you supposed to feel? Think? Breathe...?

Griff
02-21-2016, 08:52 PM
The group stared at the ring with a primal fascination. It had a gold body, with a beautiful amethyst gem adorned in the center. Inscribed on the ring was a lovely message for someone’s spouse. The ring was found in a dungeon a couple of weeks ago, and the adventurers have been arguing about what to do with it since.

“We should find out who it belongs to!” A particularly loud voice boomed throughout the area, scaring away the birds that had accumulated on the plains that the group of adventurers had been sitting in. The voice had come from a large man with bright purple hair, he had a large sword strapped to his back.

Tearing away the grass, one of the sitting adventurers yelled out, “That’s a waste of time! We should just sell the damn thing!” Frowning, that adventurer ran her hands through her green hair.

“That’s not right! Someone cared about this ring, we should find who!” The purple-haired one yelled again.

“Don, Mika, both of you, shut up!” A thinner man with red hair yelled out. He had delicate feminine features, and by the way the other two chose to quiet down, he had a place of leadership in the group. “Look, I know we’re all divided, but yelling won’t solve anything,” He cleared his throat, “Now, Don, why do you think that we should find the original owners?”

The one with purple hair, being Don, began to speak, “This ring is engraved, Mika. Someone cares so much about someone, they had the ring engraved! This could be a wedding ring!”

Mika was about to interrupt, but the leader stopped her, “Now, Mika, why should we sell it?”

“Don, let’s face it, the couple is probably dead. Even if they weren’t, it’s not like we have many options. Money is tight. I know we should do the right thing, but, I’d like to eat sometime this week. What happens when one of us gets injured again? How would we pay for that?”

Looking down in sadness, Don knew Mika was right, but, he couldn’t just abandon the couple like that. It just felt wrong to him, it felt dirty. “Hana?” He asked his leader hesitantly, he wanted to know what his plans were.

Hana let his short red bangs fall onto his face while he contemplated what to do next. He knew that Mika had a point, they were almost out of food and had very little money left. Helping people didn’t pay very much. At the same time, though, not finding who owned this ring was against everything they ever tried to do. If they could find the owner, maybe they would pay a reward? It was a long shot, but maybe it would be worth it.

Meanwhile, Hana had been concentrating for about three minutes, and Mika and Don were about to get his attention when he suddenly opened his eyes.

“Okay, I think I have a reasonable compromise. Don, we’ll look into the owners for about a week, then we’ll sell it if nothing turns up, deal?”

Both Mika and Don weren’t very pleased with these results but were willing to follow the orders. They all stood up and started walking to the town nearest to where they found the ring, it was plausible that that’s where it came from.

The ring was found in an old goblin mine that the group was raiding. Goblins don’t tend to travel very far and try to keep the treasure close to them, so it was a good start choosing the closest town.

They walked into the town, and first successfully convinced the stable manager to let them sleep there free of charge while asking him about the ring.

Taking a long look at the ring, the stable manager replied, “Try asking Tracy, she lives down by the market, I think I remember her talking about a ring like that.”

After thanking the man, they headed off to find Tracy.

It was sundown by the time they finally found her. They spent the day wandering around the town and trying desperately not to bump into any of the crowded booths and people. Asking people led them from person to person, everyone telling them to go seek out another person. It wasn’t a fun day. Mika alone got into three fights. At least by sundown they had found her, otherwise, Hana wasn’t sure they would’ve made it any further.

Finally seeing her, they noticed that she was a petite brunette, and seemed younger than she actually was. Don slowly walked up to her.

“Are you Tracy? We found this ring in a goblin cave nearby, and we were told to contact you.”

She turned around, “Yes, I’m Tracy. What ring? I can’t think…” Her speech trailed off as she saw the ring in Dom’s hand. Her hands flew up to her mouth and her eyes brimmed with tears as she began to whisper, “You found it.”

Handing the ring to Tracy, Dom asked her, “Is the ring important to you?”

“Oh yes sir,” She nodded repeatedly, “This was my mother’s engagement ring. It was lost when we moved here, we thought we’d never see it again. My mother’s long passed, but I’m glad I have this to remember her.” Pausing, she hugged Don, “Thank you so much. Is there anything you want in return?”
Stomach growling, Mika blurted out, “Um, do you have any food?” She grinned, a little embarrassed.

“Oh, yes! You’re all welcome here. I’ve got some stew from dinner earlier, let me bring you some.” Tracy ran into her house, motioning to them to follow.

Hana entered first, making sure his teammates entered. It would be rude to deny food. They saw the inside of Tracy’s house, it was small, but decent sized compared to the others in this corner of the city. The house was fairly cluttered with trading supplies, it seemed like Tracy ran a store out of her own home.

Suddenly she ran back out to the group, holding three bowls of stew, and another container with the extras. “Here take these,” she spoke as she handed the bowls to the group and set the full container on the table, “You can take the extra, I’m sure warriors like you would need it.”

Smiling, Hana looked up at her and replied, “We’re not really warriors, more like--adventurers. And thank you for the food, it is greatly appreciated.”

“No problem.” She replied as she left the room to let the group eat in peace.

“Well Mika,” Don smirked, “Aren’t you glad we took this job?”

Mika just scowled in response.

1109 words.

Kris
02-21-2016, 10:25 PM
We both set across from each other, each dealing with his/her daily activities. I was peeking at my Smartphone and he was busy devouring the book he recently acquired. How quickly can his eyes scan through the pages without even getting bored or tired?

It's been… what…? Three weeks since I first saw him opening the damn thing and all he has done (Aside from going to work, sleep and play video games) was reading this thing.

Must be a really exciting book.

I sighed.

I wanted to be given the same attention as that object. Not that I wanted to be treated as an object, but, you know, to be given some attention…

"How is it?", I asked. To which he simply nodded in affirmative nonchalant way.

I looked from him to the coffee table before I stretched, "Have you… considered… what we talked about?"

He slowly removed the book looking to me with a guilty expression. I bit my lower lip and twisted my nose. We've been together for three years now. We always considered the option but dodged the direct question. Not that the topic wasn't around mind you, but not it's seem to be surfacing up a lot.

Some of my friends even asked me if we even considered it. Frankly it was such a simple idea… everyone was probably doing it. After all it was another way known to mankind to connect body and soul, but he seems too uneasy about it.

I looked at my smart-phone as if letting him think I let go of the topic for today, which he quickly understood as a way out and was back into the book, looking away from me.

Damn him.

Three years.

It's a perfectly good question to ask. It's not like the relationship will go downhill from this point onward if the answer is yes or no right?

Did he not care enough to try? Did he not love me enough to try?

I got up, frustrated, and headed for the fridge. I was so angry I wanted to chew something. It made me relax, eating or biting. Weird, I know, but I guess it's better than being a smoker.

The fridge was empty (as usual) and I realized, after opening the door for the 6th time, that this activity will not make food miraculously appear there.

At the end I gave up and put on my shoes as I changed my cloths.

"Anything you want from the store?", I shoot a question at him but was already behind the door as to not give him a chance to reply. I was so pissed at him that I wanted to be on my own and the last thing I wanted was to get something for this chicken.

On my way I felt like everyone was staring at me. Looking back I realized it was all in my head, but it was stressful damn it. I felt like they were making fun of my situation.

'Yes', I wanted to shout to the world. 'My idiot that has been my guy for three fucking years is too scared to make the first move to make our connection works better, and he is always giving me the look as if my request is so weird'.

Look I know what you think: "Careful of opening that door…", "Not all guys ready for such committing", etc. etc. etc.

Fine I get it… but is it such an odd request? Why the long face?… why the over thinking? Is it so so so bad to even consider doing more? Being more? Trying new things? Expending horizons and positions?

God, I wish I knew.

Without even realizing it I was patrolling half the city and spent most of my day walking with my thoughts. I think I even cried.

Fuck him.

I can't believe I'm crying over this. I'm sure my ex wouldn't have put such a fight over this. Of course we weren't really fighting... just… plain avoiding… bahhhhhhhhh

I reached home at last, putting the things in the fridge. I'm sure my stuff melted by now but I didn't care.

"What's eating you?", I saw him leaning in at the wall beside the door, looking worried.

"Nothing!", I give the perfect female answer to get away from this. If he can run away to his book world, I can do what I want too.

"C'mon, won't you tell me?"

"Nothing!", I answered again, annoyed.

"Is it because of what we talked about?"

Tears washed my eyes. Of course it's because of this, you dimwit. It's going to be about this until I find a new thing to complain about! But right now, yes, it's because of this.

"It's okay", I rolled my eyes and headed for the living room.

He grabbed my hand and waited until I look at him, "It's not that I didn't give this a thought", he started to say, "… it's just... this whole situation making me think of you as something… less… like forcing you to a position you will not feel comfortable with"

"So why have you offered?", I asked.

"Maybe I shouldn't have… the whole idea seems crazy to me now… not sure I'm ready and…", he paused, "I just don't want you to think I'm thinking less of you or anything and-!"

"Don't bother to explain… it's okay…".

We set in silence for about an hour before I heard his long sigh.

"The ring deal means so much to you?", he asked at last.

I bit my lips again, "Maybe it's not such a big deal after all… Don't want to lose you for this…"

He sighed and pulled me closer to him, "Once you are fixed on something it's hard to convince you otherwise right?"

I grinned and he smiled back as his hands wrapped around me, "You know…. We may have to try few times… And it's gonna hurt… So don't blame me… I mean it".

Is this why he was so scared? Damn him.

Three years!!!

He can trust me a little to not fault him.

"Yes!!!!", I smiled as he was carrying me to the bed.

It was finally time for us to try and work around the ring… the ring around my rosie (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAEA7fjqvvU).

[Great way for me to turn the theme of "ring" around… mind the pun… >.> Don't kill me, the theme just meant for me to abuse it XD ]

~N~
02-28-2016, 12:15 AM
*ring, ring*

*ring, ring*

*ring, ring*

*ring, ring*

*ring, ring*

*click*

"Hey, it's Michael. I'm not here. Leave one." *Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep*

*click*

"You have... twenty-two messages."

"First message, fourteen days ago." *beeeeeeep*

"Hey, Michael! Where are you! The party's already been going for like two hours and you're not here!" *click*

"Second message, thirteen days ago." *beeeeeeep*

"Yo, man, you remember that conspiracy theory webpage we found the other day? Well they had four new sightings just this week! You gotta see this! I'll catch you later." *click*

"Third message, twelve days ago." *beeeeeeep*

"Hello. This message is for the parent/guardians of Michael Hearst? This is the Becky Cranston at Glenwood High School. According to our records, Michael hasn't been in school for the last several days. We're just checking in to make sure he's OK, because extended absences like this present problems for teachers and homework assignments and testing. Please call us back as soon as possible." *click*

"Fourth message, twelve days ago." *beeeeeeep*

"Hello? Michael? It's Janine? From class? Where've you been? We had our group project due today. Mr. Thomas told us we had to go, so we did. But I don't know if you're getting credit or not. Where are you?!" *click*

"Fifth message, eleven days ago." *beeeeeeep*

"Hey man. I've been seeing some creepy shit lately. Do you think what we did has anything to do with it? Where are you?" *click*

"Sixth message, eleven days ago." *beeeeeeep*

"OH MY GOD! MICHAEL. I SWEAR I SAW SOMEONE JUST LIKE YOU WALKING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD! It was too dark to tell, and when I got a chance to turn around, he was gone.... ARE YOU OK? This is Casey, BYE!" *click*

"Seventh message, ten days ago." *beeeeeeep*

*click* *click-click* *click *click-click*

"Unnnnhhh..."

"Sssssssssss....."

"uuuuuUUUUUUUNNnnnnnUUUHHHH!!!!" *click*

"Eighth message, nine days ago." *beeeeeeep*

...yaw a dnif tsum tuo yaw a dnif tsum tuo yaw a dnif tsuM

*heavy breathing*

---enoemos ESAELP !HA !yawa teg ...

*unearthly screaming crackling with static*

!?uoy era erehw ...krad ...

*sobbing*

..tsol... *click*

"Ninth message, seven days ago." *beeeeeeep*

"Hello. This message is for the parent/guardians of Michael Hearst? This is the Becky Cranston at Glenwood High School, attempting to reach the parent/guardians of Michael Hearst. According to our records, Michael hasn't been in school for over two weeks. We're concerned that Michael has missed too many days to make up work this semester and may be in danger of having to repeat the grade. Extended absences like this present problems for teachers and homework assignments and testing. Please call us back as soon as possible. If we don't hear back in the next few days, we are obligated by law to inform the police and child services. Please contact us immediately regarding this matter." *click*

"Tenth message, seven days ago." *beeeeeeep*

"Michael! Are you sick with like the flu or herpes or somethin'? We forget what you look like it's been so long! Fuckin', I'm gonna come over there and drag your ass outta that house myself! I mean it!" *click*

"Eleventh message, seven days ago." *beeeeeeep*

"Michael, it's Casey. We're all worried about you. Where've you been? Are you OK? Text me or something, please." *click*

"Twelfth message, seven days ago." *beeeeeeep*

“MICHAEL!!! MICHAEL!!!!” *girlish laughter and giggling* *click*

"Thirteenth message, six days ago." *beeeeeeep*

"Michael. This is Trent. I just saw it again. It's been around my house the last week or so. Fucking hiding in bushes. It's not a fucking raccoon. I told you. And the lights in the sky? Last night they were hovering just after midnight, I swear. Anyways, I'm looking for them right now. My parents think I'm crazy, but I'm seeing shit that's real, man. And I'm scared. SHIT, THERE IT IS! MICHAEL, YOU GOTTA G---" *click*

"Fourteenth message, six days ago." *beeeeeeep*

"BRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"

*slobbering sounds, sounds of loud swallowing and crunching and scraping*

*screaming in a far distance*

*click*

"Fifteenth message, six days ago." *beeeeeeep*

!!!EREH NI GNIHTEMOS S'EREHT .ereh ni gnihtemos s'erehT

*slow deep breathing, deep moaning in the distance*

...t'nac I ...rebmemer t'nac I ...I tub ,nac I tpecxe ,flesym leef t'nac I ekiL .flesym ton m'I ekil ...leef I tub ,ma I erehw ro ekawa m'I fi wonk t'nod I .em revo lla doolb tog ev'I dna gnihguoc tuohtiw ehtaerb t'nac I .hself gnittor ,dimuh ekil sllems ti dna ,ees t'nac I ,thgil on ,swodniw on era erehT .ereh fo tuo teg em pleh enoemos ,dog ,esaelP ?I ma erehW

*scraping, dripping sounds, skittering*

---OG YM HO ....taht sI ?leahciM ?leahciM *click*

"Sixteenth message, five days ago." *beeeeeeep*

"Um, Michael? Did you leave Glenwood? Like, we went by your house yesterday but it looked... abandoned...? I didn't want to knock but Susan did and... well, nobody came to the door. I... We were just wondering... 'cause... you know... we haven't seen you in like a month. Let me know. Bye." *click*

"Seventeenth message, five days ago." *beeeeeeep*

"Hello, this is the Glenwood Public Library. You have six books listed as overdue in our system. each day incurs a twenty-five cent fine for each of these books. Please return them as soon as possible to avoid these penalties." *click*

"Eighteenth message, five days ago." *beeeeeeep*

"MICHAAAAEEEEELLL!!! WHERE AAAAAAARRRRRREEEEE YOU MAN. You like left planet earth! Mission control to Michael! Come in Michael!" *click*

"Nineteenth message, four days ago." *beeeeeeep*

"Hello. This message is for the parent/guardians of Michael Hearst. This is the Becky Cranston at Glenwood High School, attempting to reach the parent/guardians of Michael Hearst. Due to excessive unexplained absences with regard to Michael's attendance, we have notified the authorities about possible abuse. The police will be in contact with you soon." *click*

"Twentieth message, three days ago." *beeeeeeep*

*sobbing* "Michael! What happened? Jessie and Bill and I were all driving past your house and there were police everywhere! Like yellow tape and flashing lights? And then, last night? We drove by again after they left, but we saw a light moving through the house? Like, I could swear it was in your bedroom for the longest time. And then we thought we saw a figure in the window but we got scared and drove off before I could make it out. Please tell me you're OK? Please? *click*

"Twenty-first message, three days ago." *beeeeeeep*

!!!HHHHGGGRRRA !!!!LLLLEEEEEAAAAAHCIIIIIM

.SU FO TRAP EMOCEB !SU NIOJ !LEAHCIM SU NIOJ

!!!HHHHHGGGRRRA !!!LEAHCIM

*heavy metal scraping sounds can be heard along with clawing and screeching* *click*

"Twenty-second message, one day ago." *beeeeeeep*

"Hello. This is Fred Mellon, at First Equity. We have not received your mortgage payment for this month. If we do not receive it within ten days, you could incur a credit penalty. Please make your payment as soon as possible by mail or online, at www.firstequity.com. Have a nice day." *click*

"End of messages."

m139
02-29-2016, 04:36 AM
The Ring

Ring. Ring.

My eyes opened. It was still dark outside. It must have been before 6:30 AM in the morning. I could have sworn I did not set an alarm for Saturday... Annoyed, I closed my eyes again and flopped my arm to shut off the annoying beeping. But even after my flailing hit the boxy object, the ringing did not stop.

Huh? Wait... that was not the alarm. That was the phone ringing! And if the phone was ringing...

In an instant, I was fully awake. I jumped out of bed and dashed out of the bedroom door into the main room. I flipped on the light switch as I passed, then made my way to the coffee table and my landline phone.

I picked up the ringing phone, and held it to my ear. "Hello?" I asked.

There was no response from the other end. I waited, and still there was nothing. Not even the dial tone. Just plain silence.

I hung up, confused. I thought he was going to-

Ring, ring

I picked up the phone. This time, I waited a moment before saying hello. But just like the last time there was silence. No voice, no click, no nothing.

Again I hung up the phone. Well, that was weird. Must have been a really bad connection. Maybe he would call again? Or maybe-.

The phone rang again. This time, I was awake enough to glance at the caller ID before picking it up. It read, "UNKNOWN." Interesting, I thought as I brought the reciever to my ear, I wonder why it does not recognize his number.

And, as I listened again to the silence, I suddenly realized- maybe it wasn't him.

Instantly, a wave of fear rushed over me. If it was not him, who was it? Who was calling me at 6:00 am in the morning? There was no one on the line. Just silence, pure silence. And add that to the silence of the room...

Wait a minute. I was being so over dramatic. There was no need to feel a panic from this. Doubtless, it was just some wrong number, or something wrong with the line. Nothing to fear, just weird happenings that could be accounted for by totally normal reasoning. That was it.

I hung up the phone again, and began to get up to go get a glass of water, when the phone rung again. "You've got the wrong number." I said. Then, I began the process of moving the reciever from my ear back to its base when I heard it.

"No, I do not." came a voice from the telephone. It was a deep, raspy voice, although the pace was much faster than what I would normally expect.

"What... What did you say?" Instantly, the receiver was back at my ear, and my heart was racing faster than even before.

But no voice could be heard now. Again there was only silence. "He... He... Hello?" I whispered into the receiver, and waited, full of trepidation. But there was nothing.

"Um? You... You've got the wrong number?" Again I tried, and again I got no response.

As I continued saying various things, my voice got stronger, and my fear- at least, my surface fear- subsided. There had been no voice. I must have simply been imagining it. I gave a short chuckle as I put the phone back on the hook. Slowly, I turned around, expecting it to ring as I took a step away.

But nothing happened. I took another step. Still nothing. Maybe I had been imagining this whole thing. By the time I had poured myself a glass of water and taken a sip of it, I was smiling, Yes, I was just imagining it. I mean, look at the time. It had not even been 6:00. The stove clock read a ridiculous 4:47 am. Yeah, must have been a half dream.

I finished my water, and went back to the phone. Everything was as it should be. The phone was on the hook, there were no new messages, and it was not ringing. Perfect. I passed it, and went back to bed.

As to how long I spent tossing and turning in that bed before falling back asleep, I cannot say. All I know is that my secret fears that something was off kept gnawing at my insides, and though I tried to ignore them, and on the surface I had convinced myself nothing was wrong, I was constantly aware of the presence of this feeling of dread.

Still, at some point, I must have fallen asleep. For I remember suddenly coming back to conscious.

I was still in my room, and it was still dark. I looked at my clock. On its face were the digits 10:00 AM. What? 10:00 am?!? There was no way it was that late. Or it was no way it was this dark. I opened my blinds, but the lighting in the room did not change. It still looked like the darkness just before dawn.

My clock must just be wrong. I went to the main room, and looked at the stove clock. It read 4:47 AM. What? How?

None of this was making any sense. What time was it? I attempted to turn on my computer, but it would not start. Not even after I plugged it into the wall...

I was in such a mixture of confusion and terror that I did not know what to do. I just stood in the middle of the room, helpless, when suddenly...

Ding dong

The doorbell rang. I was in such a mess at this state that I just opened the door, not even bothering to look through the peephole. Not that it would have helped if I did, for when I looked out, there was no one there. No one in front, to the left, to the right, below, or above.

And I was left staring straight ahead as the sun began to rise- or rather, appeared suddenly above the horizon. Instantly, the sky was covered in a dark pinkish magenta, streaked with pale yellow clouds. The sun itself- if a sun it could be called- was a pale blue.

"Wha..." the words escaped my mouth.

"Your wake-up call has been completed."

"Wait..." I said, unable to find the source of the voice, "Who's speaking?"

But the voice did not pause, but continued, "I hope your stay at the Imagination Hotel has been pleasurable. Welcome back to reality and please visit us again soon."

Wait, this was reality?

No, it could not be.

This could not be reality. It could not be. This was simply a dream. A very, very bad dream. What I knew was reality- what I had come from, that- that was reality.

This, I knew, was true.

...or was it?