PDA

View Full Version : E.d.e.n.

Anne Bonny
10-23-2009, 05:10 AM
Cleopatra Antoinette

It was hard to tell if it was night or day in Atlantis. The sun barely reached that far down into the water, so it was almost impossible to get any natural light from the sun, let alone the moon and stars.

Shree sat in her sleeping dress on the little garden on the top of the orphanage building she called home. Thanks to the science developed by the Chosen, there were actually able to grow some plants. Nothing very big of course, but some grass, shrubs, a few flowers here and there. The soil had to have extra nutrients in it for them to grow. Flowers were rare though… they were always small and… puny.

Shree wasn’t quite sure what puny was in comparison with plants. She knew what puny was with people. Small people, not strong, likely to die… but she couldn’t tell if the plants were this weak because there were so few plants to compare it too. She wondered if the sun would help them grow. She had seen a book once, an old book in the Archives about something called photo-sense. Photo-thesis? Something along those lines. But it was supposed to provide food to the plants. And some of the food could come from water. Shree understood water- that was everywhere. Water was Mother, and cradled them in her arms. But the light from the sun could also give energy. Shree often wondered about the sun. Was it as bright as a light bulb when you looked at it? And was is hot as well? The books said it was so. It also said the moon was cold, but the stars were hot.

But Shree didn’t know what stars were. Or the moon. Or the sun. They must have been very pretty though, for the old books to talk about them so…

“Shree?” It was the voice of her friend, Kiya, but it was so surprising that Shree jumped nearly a foot in the air and let out a little squeak of surprise. Kiya laughed softly as she climbed up the wall. It was a somewhat dangerous thing to do. The two girls were on the top floor, so from their window they could easily climb to the top. The buildings were all made to look like they were carved from rock (most of them were) and so there were plenty of footholds to grab onto. Kiya clambered up next to Shree and sat beside her, rolling her eyes since the girl showed no sign of going soon. “You do realize that Keeper Hengers will kill you if she finds you’ve been out here all night.” She followed Shree’s gaze up. “What are you looking at anyway?”

“You know that you can go to the surface on the pilgrimage?” Shree’s voice sounded almost dreamy. “I’ve heard if you go at a good time, you can see the sky… I’ve always wanted to see the sky.”

Kiya hit her over the head. “How will you survive the Pilgrimage? I’m going to have to watch you every day.”

Shree smiled sheepishly. “I can’t help it. Reading makes me think.”

“Hm, well, your thoughts would be better put to use in ways to avoid Keeper Hengers.” This said, Kiya grabbed Shree around the neck and started pulling her to the side of the roof to climb to their room. Shree acquiesced, but she gave one last look at the dome of the city which held the ocean at bay, thinking that she might see something that looked like a star.

Anne Bonny
10-23-2009, 05:11 AM
Vyrall

So

Much

Blood.

In all her years working as a security officer, even in the high rank she was now Engel had not seen what looked to be so much blood. Images of the past few minutes passed by in her mind. Coming home, tossing her keys down, calling out to, nothing. She remembered seeing her, how her heart had stopped then when Luci’s limp, lifeless body came into view lying there on the floor. Her gentle features, slurred by death. Engel had tried to help her, held the woman’s head but her body was already cool. Even when she called for help, she knew it was too late. Now she stood, seeing herself holding her wife as the paramedics surrounded her. Her own body and clothes were dripping with the wet red substance. As it dripped from her fingertips, she only vaguely heard one of the paramedics say the word ‘suicide.’ It felt as if she was underwater, and the pressure was breaking her bones.

She had disappeared that day, although not completely. She’d worked through the police report automatically, her own friends taking in the case. It was open and closed. The note was there, plain and simple. Engel had read it time and time again, but still found it hard to believe. How could she be gone? Luci, her Luci… The security officers knew to leave her be. She was high enough rank and well respected enough to remain untouched for a while. It had been a few weeks of her wandering. She’d had some security officers pull her into their homes, make her eat, shower and lie down but she was always gone after a few hours. What she was looking for, she didn’t know. She just couldn’t go home, couldn’t face the walls that they had lived in together. She didn’t know where she was, didn’t know what sectors she’d crossed into but didn’t care. She knew they’d come for her soon, come for her with mental ‘help’ and try to get her back into her working position. But she wouldn’t do it. Not after she’d heard one of the paramedics say her beautiful wife did the right thing, ridding the system of her own filth.

‘My dearest Engel

I know this is the weak way out, and I am so sorry for doing this to you. Do not question how I feel for you, I have never loved you more. But their words cut deep, their stares deeper and you do not deserve to live with such a burden. I can’t take it anymore. I hope you understand. I know I’m a coward, that I should stay strong for you but I simply can’t help but think, you’ll be better off without me. My dear sweet Engel, may you take this with you and use it, for the better. I will be with you.

I love you, Luci.’

She had ripped out the last three words and her love’s signature, rolled it up and put it in a vial she now wore around her neck. It was a reminder, to do what she had said. To take it, use it. But wandering the streets aimlessly, She couldn’t help but stop when she heard a ruckus. She was no longer blood covered, her clothes and body having been washed through her journey though her white dress shirt was untucked, the hem of her black pants frayed. She looked as if she hadn’t slept or eaten in days, and as she looked up to see an unfamiliar face standing above her. She turned her face to try and see what the other did. Perhaps a glimmering light of hope, a star like she had seen on her pilgrimage. She had once seen the sun with Luci by her side. She now wanted to see it again, to know it’s beautiful form despite the pollution. But her vision blurred, white dots floating around her eyes. She hadn’t been pulled in by a kind neighbour in a while, and hit against the wall violently as her body churned with exhaustion.

Anne Bonny
Hell Knight

Ezin was sitting on a stool, tying up knots for the morning to catch fish for his family and crew. His fingers felt numb, but they were strong, he could feel his fingers burning, but they cooled down after he rests his finger for about 10 seconds. His ear's twitched as he heard foot steps approaching, he looks over his shoulder, his eye's caught a pair of old boots standing behind him. He turns over, there was a much darker man, but his hair was grey, dark grey, Ezin sighs and looks away and back to his knotting, and quietly says on word. "Captain."

The captain didn't smiled but moved around him and sat in front of him, he too grabbed some ropes and began knotting, "Ezin," he said, "I heard you were planning to go with the fishermen, to bring in food for the fleet." Ezin didn't say anything back to him, he just felt like being quiet, "I just thought I let you know that you have to becareful on times like those." Again Ezin didn't say one word, he kept his mouth shut, but he listened to his captain.

“You know tonight, the crew are throwing a party to celebrate.” Ezin stopped knotting, he looked up at his captain with a look, a look that gives a death sign, a look that nobody should not give, it was a bad thing. “What are we celebrating about? That I had to protect you and kill the others that tried to kill you? Listen captain I only protected you because you said it yourself, that you would bring us closer to home. Though I don't know where this land is, or what is it, all my life I've been raised out in sea, hoping that one day, I could relieve my family's honor by stepping on land for the first time ever.”

The captain listened to him carefully without interrupting him, “So if you start acting like a captain, we could feel more comfortable.” after that, he stopped talking and went back to knotting the rope, the captain only looked down and then back at him, only to see him working on the ropes. The captain sighs for a moment, stands up straight and said “Good luck on your trip tomorrow.” and walks away.

Ezin could hear the steps fading down the ship, and yet he could also hear the crew celebrating as if nothing ever happened, they party'd loud enough to wake up four ships. Letting out a sigh, Ezin lays his head back and stares up at the sky, stars shined bright, brighter than last night. He watched them carefully, this was the only time he could ever calm down, it's the only way for him to calm down.

Ezin could feel his eye's beginning to drowze away, he quickly gets up and sets the net down, he walks over to a flat platform and lays on his back, he watches the stars once more, and yet his eye's begin to fade down slowly, he tried to stay awake, but the tiredness took control, his eyes closed shut and his body numbed, he fell asleep.

Anne Bonny
Danijel

"Okay, so I'm asking you again. Why are we fishing at night?!", asks Lionar kinda annoyed that he and Yaldamar are sitting on a fishing raft, during the night, when they could be sleeping.
"Because much bigger fish appear at night than on daylight.", replies Yaldamar who was actually lying down on the fishing raft and wait till a fish bites.

The Swabbies flotilla had special rafts alongside others that they specially used for fishing, and in some cases for salvaging too. They had two ways of fishing: with a net when they want to catch a lot of fishes at once, and fishing with a sturdy fishing rods attacked to the raft which is used mostly to fish for bigger fishes. And Yaldamar and Lionar both were using fishing rods.

"But why must you drag me in it?", asks Lionar Yaldamar with a whining sound.
Yaldamar turns his face towards Lionar and says, "After last thing what happened when no one watched you, there is no chance I am leaving you alone."

"Wow, one time offense. No biggy at all."

"No biggy?! You snuck onto a raft of Captain's daughter to 'surprise' her! You were lucky Captain didn't rip off your Lionar Jr. and used it as a fish bait."

"Ugh, do you ALWAYS have to remind me of that?"

"Till we find another solution to keep you cold, yes."

Lionar stands up and turns around to look at the 'village' of Swabbie rafts sailing towards the unknown. Nothing much ever does happen around here, its mainly fish, salvage, trade'n'negotiate, fight the violent flotilla and such.
"Man, I wish something interesting would happen around here.", says Lionar.

"What do you mean?", asks Yaldamar.

"Well, everything it happens is always the same..."

Suddenly one of the fishing rods starts shaking down. Yaldamar notices it, stands up and tries to pull whatever they caught, Lionar however turned his back on the fishing rods so he didn't really noticed.
Yaldamar was struggling to pull the fish on the raft, but it was too strong. Must be a very big fish that got hooked.

"Lionar.", says Yaldamar trying to for Lionar's help.

"...we fish,...", Lionar was continuing his sentence.

"Lionar!"

"...we salvage..."

"LIONAR!!!"

Lionar finally turns around and angrily asks Yaldamar for interrupting him in speaking, "What?!"

"Two words: PULL!", yells Yaldamar.

Lionar then quickly joing Yaldamar in pulling the fishing rod. The fish was indeed big and both of them started to release sweat into pulling.

Anne Bonny
Hell Knight

Ezin wakes up to a sound, something like calling for help, his eye's barely moving as he tried to get up, it felt like it was the middle of the night, he looks around, he didn't hear any music playing, he goes and takes a looks, most of the crew just happened to past out, most of them couldn't hold their liquor. He sighs as he walks away and wonders around on the ship.

He looks at some other ships as they rocked quietly, then his eyes caught a loaf of bread wrapped in a cloth, he takes it and takes a few pieces from it, eating it little by little. Walking slowly on the deck, he still heard voices, he looks over at the other ships, there he could see a small fishing raft, he watches as the guys were fishing at night.

Are they crazy or stupid? he watches them fish, one of them seem to have a hard time pulling, he chuckles softly, these guys are really persistent on catching their share of the......night. He thought to himself for second, 'I wonder if these guys are smart or just plain crazy.' He didn't say anything to them, he just watched them wrestled the rod.

Anne Bonny
10-23-2009, 05:12 AM
Siksta Slathalin

The night sky stretched before the flag ship of the Catille the Keep as the community called it. It was nearly 50 feet long with cannons on both sides and a standing crew of the best 20 men that call the Castille home. Captain Castiel or Capt. Cas as everyone called him manning the wheel in his under shirt, pants and boots, his hat slung on a knob close by. The night wind blew his long black hair behind him like wings his clear dark eyes forever watching the horizon for signs of other ships and maybe some fruitful land to make a permanent settlement on.

The sound of little shuffling feet on board made him grasp the cutlass at his side but as it drew nearer he released his grip and a kind smile crossed his lips. He puts his back on the wheel and waited soon with the sound of a light giggle he spins like a eel and grabs the scruffy little girl in a purple nighty and blows a raspberry on her neck.
"I knew I heard a scurvy pirate sneaking around? I better toss her in the brig before she steals all my sweeties!" The dark little girl laughs and wriggles trying to get out of the big man's grip speaking in a pirate dialect.
"Argh, I'll get you I'm Giana the all mighty Pirate Queen I'm gonna make all cookies and pies mine." Cas laughs more wrapping the child tightly in his arms.
"Then its my duty as Captain to keep the cakes safe for all the good little kids of the sea." With a look at the old man smiling at the little interaction who nods and takes the wheel he takes the little Queen back to her bed below deck. The Children’s room aboard the Keep is the smallest room on the ship but by far the comfiest. The Feather beds sit snugly in their little boxes various old wooden toys or horses, pirates and merfolk a mixed up with little shoes and pants that lay scattered around the room. In the farthest corner from the door are the two little bunk beds in boxes. The top one with it's pink sheets and little fluffy dolphin stuffed animal obviously belonged to the little Queen who was fiddling with Cas's large earring. And the bottom with red sheets and a shark stuffy belonged to her twin Giovanni who was fast asleep snoring like a whale.
"Ok your Majesty time to get back to bed. Even pirate Queens needs their sleep." She yawns getting under her covers.
"I like you daddy, when I take over all the seas I'll leave you a big pile of cakes." The man smiles and kisses her head lightly.
"You are so kind your majesty." He smiles then leaves the children to their dreams. Still not feeling like sleep he returns to the top deck and walks to the eagles head that adorns the front of the Keep. He watches the waves lap the sides taking a deep breath he feels the salt in his lungs and begins singing in a low voice the old chantey called my lost love.

Anne Bonny
10-23-2009, 05:12 AM
Danijel

"Ungh, what the heck did got hooked?!", asks Lionar sweating to pull out whatever he and Yaldamar caught.

"A dolphin?", suggests Yaldamar on what they caught while still pulling.

"A shark?", suggests Lionar.

"Gigantopus?"

"A whale?"

"Now thats just too big, Lionar."

"Well lets pull it and then ask questions, okay?"

So both of them quit their chatter and started to pull the fishing rod hard. They even ripped the fishing rod off the raft while pulling it. Eventually after some time of sweating and pulling hard, they managed to pull the fish on board the fishing raft. They pulled out a very big hammerhead shark, and it was still wriggling.

Yaldamar, who was still holding the ripped off fishing rod, stabbed the shark in the head finishing it off. "So...This is our meal for next 4 to 5 days?", asks Yaldamar.

"Atleast.", adds in Lionar. "Lets return back to the flotilla with our catch."

Yaldamar only nods and then both of the grab paddles that were on the raft and started paddling the raft towards the Swabbies flotilla.

Cleopatra
11-03-2009, 01:56 AM
“Shree, get DOWN from there! This is stupid!” Jace, the eleven year old orphan who also worked in the Archives, yelled up at his older house-sister as she stood on her tip-toes on an unstable ladder looking for an old book. It was dusty on the top shelf as evidenced by Shree’s constant sneezing and coughing.

“Oh, shut up, I’m close, I know I am!” Shree gripped the shelf hard trying not to look down at the redhead boy gagging on all the dust she was brushing down onto his head. She shoved books out of the way reaching far back carefully looking for what she wanted.

“You’ll fall!” Jace called up.

“I won’t as long as you hold onto the ladder!”

“I’m eleven, wear glasses, and work in the Archives. How much upper body strength do you think I HAVE?”

“Look just… just hold me still!” Shree peered back into the dark recesses of the upper shelf and she saw it. Letting out a crow of success she pulled it from its resting place and held the book aloft in her hand. “I GOT it!”

“Great! Now get down!” shouted Jace. “I can’t hold this thing with someone standing on it!” With a laugh the girl quickly climbed down and helped him lean it back against its original resting place. “What did you need up there anyway?”

She held out an old, old book to him, its edges frayed from use and wear. He sighed exasperated when he read the title. “Aren’t you a bit old to be reading The Creation of Eden?”

The book was snatched back and Shree stuck her tongue out at him. “Never. If I’m going to be gone that long on my pilgrimage, I’m going to need something to amuse myself with.”

Jace sighed and walked behind her as she made her way through the rows and stacks of books and numerous halls. “I’m not even old enough to start thinking about my Pilgrimage, yours is one day away, and you don’t act like you’re even thinking about it! Have you even packed? Did you remember all your clothes? Did you even box your things up to take with you? And did you remember to finish cleaning your room? Plus-”

“Fish scales, Jace, you sound like the mother I’ve never had! I’ve got everything ready, it’ll all be fine, don’t worry about it!”

“How can I not worry about it? You forget where you put your clothes half the time.”

“Oh , yeah? Well, you forget where you put your glasses.”

“Only because you older ones take them.”

This rather pointless bickering went on from the stairs, to the desk where the Scholar only waved them away when Shree came to pay for the book, and then to the streets where they meandered down the streets and alleyways, heading towards their home, the Sector V Orphanage, where they spent their days cleaning and hoping their Pilgrimages would come soon. They stopped in front of the doors leading inside, both of them giving a sigh as they heard the Mistress screeching at the other unfortunate souls to clean the house again. They stared at each other before reaching for the Hand Pad that would scan their prints and then allow them entry.

“Can you just pack me into a suitcase and take me with you, Shree?”

“Don’t you wish.”

“Yes, actually. Very much. I could contribute too! You know they’re thinking about making me a Chosen?” His face lit up with pride and Shree couldn’t help but feel a little sad as she grinned. She was happy for him of course. Even this young he was very smart. But once he was accepted, he’d probably never see her or anyone else in the orphanage again. Of course, with her Pilgrimage lasting so long, he’d forget about her anyway.

Shree didn’t really listen to what Jace was saying until he mentioned “Specialist of Security.” She blinked and looked back at Jace. “What?”

“Well they said that she was supposed to be there because she helped develop the new Transporters. A send off, I guess. Don’t know if she’ll go now though.”

Shree was about to ask why when a dirty rag was thrown at her head. She didn’t have to look to know it was Bik, one of the bullies in the house. “Hey, Floater, when are you leaving? All your junk is outside taking up all the room in the courtyard! Typical idiot.”

Shree gave him an angelic smile. “I’ll be leaving as soon as possible. Getting out of the house reminds me of just how bad you smell.” Jace sniggered.

Bik’s face turned red and he would have said something else, but the shrill voice of the Mistress cut in. “If I hear any more shouting I’ll be down there in a second and lock you in the Freezer!”

Jace and Shree managed to run upstairs before they faced her wrath, giggling and grinning to themselves. “Just think, Jace,” Shree grinned, “one more day and you’ll have to go without me protecting you.”

Jace just kicked her leg as she rushed past laughing. “One more day and I’ll have some peace!”