PDA

View Full Version : (April '16) Prompt #3 - Caught Red-Handed

Naraness
04-03-2016, 04:23 PM
April's last prompt is the phrase "Caught Red-Handed"

This prompt was submitted by AngelFire (http://role-player.net/forum/member.php?u=35049)!

If you have any questions about how to participate in this event,
please visit the rules (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77770) thread or PM Naraness (http://role-player.net/forum/member.php?u=24919).

New!
Ever wonder how the prompts of the month are chosen? Well wonder no further! Starting April of 2016, all prompts will be member submitted. Click here (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80086&p=2736012#post2736012) to learn more!

AngelFire
04-06-2016, 08:45 PM
June chuckled lowly as she balanced on the exposed rafters of the house. She was finally going to see what her eldest sister was hiding in the floor boards of her room. It’s been months since her sister started acting weird and making sure June was nowhere around to look at her stash. Renea went off to her college class, and would be gone for the next hour, the only worry June had was her mother walking in. Both girls mother was big on personal privacy, and would have a cow seeing her youngest going through her sister’s belongings.

June trembled with excitement, as she quietly dropped to the ground. Years of gymnastics made sure she stuck the landing. She continued forward with as much silence and grace as a cat. The floor board creaked under her, letting her know she had reached her sisters stash. Finally she was able to see the secret her sister held. Her fingers curled into the board, lifting it from all the others. Inside there were a series of photos Renea believed were important, a few books, a diary, and a small box wrapped neatly in birthday paper.

“Jackpot.” June murmured, reaching in, right as the door opened. “Shoot.”

Renea took in a deep breath, getting ready to release an enraged shout, just when June shot to her feet.

“You Brat!”

“Caught Red-Handed.” June pouted, as her mother shot into the room.

Word Count: 241

Omac
04-06-2016, 11:00 PM
After this is the dungeon and then the first boss battle! No idea what to expect at the top of that tower, well I have some idea. I'm thinking after this one that the witch is likely some sort of family or a really close friend. I have a few suspects.

We continued our quest to find the great dragon until we came to a huge boulder in the middle of the road. I looked to JJ for advice, but he had his finger at his chin, deep in thought. I wondered if I could tap into my white energy using my gem if I would be able to break the the rock, that was triple my size, but it seemed impossible. I clenched my whistle about to call forth my new dog, Butterball, and see if he could blow it away with his butter cannon.
Then JJ spoke, “Great dragon, we have come in need of advice on a quest to take down the wicked witch. We need your guidance. With me is the king, Omac,”
It took a minute and I was started to doubt JJ, but then a door opened up and with it a series of stairs leading into a dark cave. We descended. Despite my fear of what could be hidden underneath this mysterious rock, I continued without speaking so I could appear as brave as possible when near such a respected creature.
We were welcomed by a puff of black smoke in our faces. I couldn’t help, but to gag as it slipped down my throat. I couldn’t see anything in front of me until a large tail swept through the shadows, smacking me to the ground. I thought we were being attacked so I reached for my boomerang, but then the tail pulled me by my leg through the smoke and into clear view. It then flipped me upside down. JJ ran to my rescue, but he was too late. I was already staring deep in the gigantic green set of eyes in front of me.
I saw the rest of its body. It was a big dragon with multi-colored scales throughout causing it to shine in all this darkness. It was it’s sharp teeth that frightened me the most. Or perhaps it was the scent of fire on it’s breath as it spoke. “I caught you red handed! Liar, pretending to be the king,”
JJ spoke right away, “Mrs. Great Dragon, this is the king. He has lost his memories in the battle against the evil witch. We ask that you send us on a quest to find a way to defeat the witch and her loyal subjects forever,” he waited for a moment before continuing, “Give us a chance. I can prove it’s him, Omac show her your gem,”
I attempted to slip out my starfish rock, but it slipped out of my hands and fell to the ground. I wanted to speak with all my might, but I was feeling too ill after being held upside down for so long. I only successfully made out a few grunts. I reached for my whistle, surely the king’s dog or well my dog would prove it was me. I didn’t know why, but after my attempts I was released to come crashing down to the ground.
The great dragon apologized, “I’m sorry my dear. The last time someone pretended to be king they took out my two sisters. We used to be a trinity and we used to help guide travelers from all around. What is it exactly you're looking for? Is this about those damned crystals?”
I stood up only to find myself releasing my lunch. The dragon wasn’t very happy that I just puked all over it’s home, but I could tell she was trying to be nice. “Crystals? I saw this weird vision at this house back on the road where someone had the crystal and it drove him to kill his wife… I’m not sure I can handle those,”
JJ looked absolutely shocked, “You can see visions into the past? I mean that was prophesied many eons ago that a great king would have special abilities. I knew of your power to change personalities, that’s what your rock helps you do, but I wasn’t aware the other abilities were real. That means there is a chance you can control the elements and wield magic. Perhaps the witch is somebody related to you and shares your gifts?”
I didn’t know I could use magic nor did I expect to have a direct connection to the witch. That would explain why they took away my memories, so I wouldn’t be able to learn the truth of their identity. I was completely shocked. So much so that I threw up once more, making the dragon breath out a small out of fire in frustration. I looked to the dragon, “Tell me more about this crystals, please?”
“Crystals have power,” she repeated twice, “The one you’re talking about was corrupted and used to corrupt other people. That’s why that man killed his wife, but that was twenty or so years ago. If you can find a crystal, even if it’s been turned dark, I or any other dragon, can restore it to it’s proper power and then you can absorb its power to make yourself stronger. It’s a thing we can, leveling up,”
I was suddenly excited, “Where can I get one?”
“The witch has hidden all of them,” JJ said.
The dragon shook her head, “No, I know where they all are. I can feel it as can you, young hero,” she added thinking of me, “Each one is hidden by a powerful boss. There is one not far from here,” she lifted up one of her legs to reveal a second hidden door bolted to the floor, “You can escape here through the tunnels and it should take you to where you can get to the tower. Climb the tower and defeat the boss at the top and then you’ll be granted a crystal, plus some other goodies,”
I ran over to the door fast, “I’m guessing this is a one way trip, no turning back…” and then I pulled open the door about to slide down, “Thank you. I hope to see you again, best of wishes,” and with that I slide into darkness. JJ followed behind him. I could here his footsteps and the door slamming behind him, but I couldn’t see a thing. We were on a quest to the most challenging thing yet and I wasn’t just scared, I was terrified.

Kris
04-13-2016, 01:15 AM
Chapter 5 (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80601&p=2762245&viewfull=1#post2762245)

Chapter 6-

My mind was sinking deeper and deeper into the abyss. I saw myself, as a naked visage, with more or less frame that contained my body which was shining in soft ethereal glow. I was pulling deeper and deeper, and at first all I wanted to do was to be pulled further in, deeper and deeper. It was only when I realized where I was, or who I was, that I felt fear gripping my body. I heard weak whispers.

Blue eyes were staring at me, as if I was doing something wrong, as if I was caught red-handed.

"How did she get here?"

"Who knows... Fragile thing, is she not?"

"Maybe... Maybe not...?"

Two voices but only one pair and the eyes were terrifying and I was sucked into them.

I woke with a gasp, cold sweat running down my nape, and my cloths glued to my body, and trust me I felt horrible. No one wishes to wake with such a spooky sensation.

And it was becoming even more horrible by the minute when I realize I was not in my apartment. The realization hit me right away (or was it the hangover?), and I slowly tried to pull myself off the comfy bed (unlike my own, which was probably going to cost something like only $9.99! on good sale).

I would have been bothered by my stench (as I was still smelling of booze and smoke, and I slept in my cloths throw the whole day), but I tried to grasp my situation, and make sure I was not raped or kidnapped.

The House I was finding myself in was very simple. There were hardly any light on, and I guessed it was probably night time. I was moving as silently as I could, noticing voices that sounded as though the T.V was on. I was probably close to the living room. I move closer and noticed a couch positioned right beside of a working T.V. Some old drama show in... French? was playing in black and white.

As I moved closer I noticed a man sitting asleep. I titled my head, trying to remember him, as flashbacks hit me, and I recalled the events. That guy picked me up. I was half drunk from a bar. He was curious about my name or so.

I moved from there to the kitchen, stopping beside a small framed picture, which appeared to be a high school graduation photo with a blond, somewhat chubby child. It was probably this guy and years did him justice no doubt. I was smiling to myself when I looked at the couples beside the boy, which seemed to be like the boy's parents, and then, not far from there, I caught a glimpse of smoking screen and a man I would never fail to recognize.

"Jack!", I said, somewhat aloud as I picked it.

My hand moved over the glassy frame as I fondle it with care, as if my actions alone would send my love and affection to heavens.

"So... I gotta ask, is Vel a pet name or-!".

"EEEK!", I squealed as I dropped the picture, watching the glass shattered all over. When this the guy came near me? He was sleeping just few moments ago.

Both shameful of ruining his stuff (I was really feeling the elephant in the room), and somewhat fearful, I quickly dived to pick up the shards.

"You didn't answer my question"

"AND WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?". I was annoyed by the fact he didn't seemed bothered by anything. Not by the broken image, not by the fact I was scared shitless, or by the fact I was so embarrassed looking and smelling so undignified.

"The guy who pulled you out of the bar, but don't sweat it, you started drinking even before I got there. You can Call me Reggie. Full name Reggie James Snyder".

I looked at him as I slowly set on the floor, picking up the picture which was now frameless, "You know Jack?"

"Jack Snyder?", he chuckled, "I may. Want to answer my question first?"

"Vel is a code name, I rather you address me so... professional and simple", I said slowly, realizing in order to get information I had to toss him a bone.

"So not your real name", he seemed to be lost in thought, "I'll know it eventually"

"I doubt it", I throw a grimly gaze at him which he responded by shaking his head and grinning.

"So... Jack... was my uncle. But he was closer to me than my own damn father", He exhaled, "Bad way to go I tell you....".

My eyes trailed once again, and now, with the light on, I realized the house was much more impressive than what I originally thought it was. There were more rooms and corridors which I was wishing to explore.

"I am living alone", I blushed, realizing he was noticing me staring, "But not for long".

I looked at him, somewhat curious.

"I have to say you did saved me some work entering that bar. I hardly knew where to start looking".

"Look pal I dunno what sick thoughts you have but-!"

He raised his hand to hush me, "This was belonging to Jack. Apparently the guy had you in mind when he wrote his will. I'm borrowing the place, but this one actually belongs to you. What's more I'm not going to let his murder be forgotten as another clueless file. I know you wouldn't want it either".

I was not curious.

"A guy won't write someone in his will without damn good reason. I figure you'd know much more on him and tell me things that may give me clues. While I work, I will need to stay here, as I have nowhere else to go. There are enough rooms in here, so we can have enough privacy. For a penny less person like you, I think it sounds like a great deal. I know you live on a rented apartment and can hardly handle the costs".

I was surprised. The guy did his homework. Not that I liked the idea of being with a stranger, but something about him made me trust him. Something awakened in me. A feeling of new hope.

At that moment I felt more alive than ever.

Jack.

You bastard.

You really cared about me, didn't you?

Chapter 7- (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80600&p=2766911&viewfull=1#post2766911)

m139
05-01-2016, 02:46 AM
Today was a day of bad luck. It all started when I forgot my favorite pencil. Actually, I take that back. It all started when I forgot we had a test today.

Now you might ask, "How in the world do you forget a test?" And the answer to that is, it is pretty easy. That is, it is pretty easy if you had a paper due that day (which you stayed up most of last night finishing), as well as a presentation that day (which you spent the remaining part of last night finishing). And even after the presentation is over, you still are not thinking about the test. You are thinking instead about how you could have done oh so much better on the presentation if it was not for that paper that you had to finish last night! Of course, this brings about the nagging little voice in your head that says that you could have done well in both if you had not procrastinated. But what the voice says is not the point. The point is, you are not thinking about other activities. As such, this happened to me. And so, I showed up to class without any preparation.

Now, this test, as I have said, was bad in itself. But it is even worse when I discovered I did not have my favorite pencil! As I scrounged in the bottom of my backpack, I discovered I had only two writing utensils: a black pen and a red pen. Where was my pencil? It was then that I discovered a small hole. Had my pencil fallen out and was it lost for good? No!!!

Unfortunately, I did not have the time to trace my steps and try to find my special pencil, so I grabbed the black pen and held it in my hand, ready to begin. Luckily, this test was all fill in the blank and short answer, so I did not need a scantron or a pencil, both of which I did not have.

And so, I began the test. Unfortunately for me, it was all fill in the blank and short answer, which meant that guessing was a bit hard. "Name one figure that Dante meets in the 5th Circle and explain what the significance is." Hell if I remembered what the 5th Circle even was! It is a good thing Dante did not have a circle for procrastinators, or I'm sure I would be roasting there. Or freezing. Or whatever. Dante would probably have some horrible appropriate punishment. Maybe something like taking this test forever.

Luckily, I was not dead yet. Or maybe unluckily, I suppose. But that does not matter right now. Point is, after a bunch of guessing, scribbling out half-readable words, and overall suffering, I was still alive. At least mostly. I mean, I had come close to a near heart attack...

I had noticed it about the middle of the test. The black ink with which I had scribbled a half-legible first name was different from the black ink which spelt out my name. The former was much dimmer than the latter, and I can say it was not due to the fact that I was much more confident in the spelling of one compared to the other. No, the truth was obvious: my pen was running out of ink!

Of all things! It was bad enough that I did not know half the answers, but it would be even worse if I could not write down even the answers I did know! And it was not like I had another pen. I looked up at the teacher, who was busy reading a book at the front of the room. Somehow, even with his eyes staring straight at that book, I felt as if he was looking into my hidden soul. Probably not the best time to ask him- or another classmate- for a pen. All I could do was hope my pen would not run out of ink, and that I could write enough fluff to get something of a grade.

Anyways, I eventually did finish, and did get out of that purgatory. Unfortunately for me, instead of rising to the heavens, I just passed from fire into more fire, for the next class was run by the dictator-emperor. I mean, in title, he was a professor like any other, but he might as well have been Caesar, ruling over us and twisting everything to fit his little world. He did not say it in words, but if we missed one word out of his mouth, we might as well have considered our grade gone. All I can say is that it was quite a good thing the forgotten test was not in this class.

So, the class began, and I started writing with my last remaining writing utensil: my red pen. Luckily, since I had not used it much this semester, it had a lot of ink left. And so, for a while, everything went well. Until...

Turns out, having a lot of ink is also a rather unlucky thing. Well, at least it is in certain cases. For example, it is most certainly terrible when your pen explodes. And, if you have not guessed it already, my pen exploded, leaving my hand all covered in red ink.

I could not leave to go wash my hands, either. After all, I would miss part of the lecture. And I could not ask someone for an extra pen, because they would miss part of the lecture. Unless I asked Elena, the one person in this class who could probably get an a in this class without trying. She also happened to be sitting behind me.

Or rather, her stuff was sitting behind me. She was nowhere to be seen. But a pencil was in plain sight. I could wait to ask her, but then I would miss more than I already had. Or I could take the pencil now...

I took the pencil. I could apologize later. At some point soon after in the class, there was a sound of scuffling behind me- probably Elena returning. But that was relatively unimportant. I just had to take the notes!

It was only after class when I realized my mistake. I turned around to give the pencil back to her, and she grabbed my wrist.

I immeadiatly dropped the pencil, and it fell onto the desk, the tip falling off upon inpact.

She grabbed the pencil with her free hand, then looked at my hand, and then at me. Her eyes were filled with just contained rage. "I've caught you red handed." she said, very seriously, "How DARE you use my favorite pencil, make it RED, and BREAK THE LEAD!"

Oops.