PDA

View Full Version : (June '16) Prompt #2- "Sunshine"

.Karma.
06-06-2016, 01:18 AM
June's 2nd prompt is "Sunshine"

If you have any questions about how to participate in this event,
please visit the The rules and Guideline (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80942) thread or PM Naraness (http://role-player.net/forum/member.php?u=24919).

Feeling like offering us a prompt?
Do you want to see your idea featured as one of the Month's prompts?
Click here (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80942&p=2769937&viewfull=1#post2769937) to learn more!

m139
06-28-2016, 03:57 AM
Sunshine

My name is Rye Leandra Peppins. I was born on the fifth day of Cycle 3. Or at least, that's what I have been told. I do not really know. I don't remember. In fact, I don't remember anytime that there were not the Cycles, although they are apparently a relativly new thing. After all, now we are on Cycle 15. Before the Cycles, they used to count things in Earth time, apparently. Or what they thought was Earth time, at least. There was something about relativity, and moving at supper fast speeds, and all sorts of sciency stuff. I do not really know how it all works, but that's what the teachers said in school. And they did not look like they knew what it really was, either. So it might all be made up. But, anyway, going on with what they said, which also happens to be what my mom and everyone else says, they got to 3243 IA (which is Latin for in the stars or something like that) before they switched to Cycles. The Cycles are supposed to prepare us for landing. Which will not happen until I'm super old or something.

And they say that when we land, it will be something back like the old days on earth. They said there will be no metal roof over our heads, and you will be able to dig down and down and down and won't hit a sheet of metal, ever. And we will live there. They even said that a long time ago, before the IA ages, and long before anyone on this ship now living was born, people used to actually live on this Earth place. I have seen the pictures and the videos. The people look like real people, but who knows? It could all be made up. But I mean, people had to come from somewhere. After all, flying pieces of metal don't just randomly come into existence.

They say this generation ship was built above Earth, along with two others. It was some great project or something, with a fancy name or whatever. All the nations of the earth supposedly had some great agreements and such and made bunches of speeches. (Nations are apparently what they called very large groups of people who supposedly stuck together, most of the time. Kind of like the different floors on this ship. But bigger.) Anyways, there were a whole ton of names I had to memorize for that test. I don't really remember any now, though. Point is, they sent them off, towards pricks of light in the distance. And eventually, many years, they were supposed to reach these new earths, with new suns, and new moons, and blah, blah, blah.

Of course, they could not find an exact replica of this earth place. After years and years and years and years of searching, they finally realized that earth was practically unique in the universe. And the only places that could be make somewhat like earth were far, far away. Hence the spaceships had to travel a long, long time. Not that it matters much to me, considering I just sit on this spaceship and listen to all these boring class stuff about a planet I will never see.

After all, the new earth will be my home. If we get there. If it exists. Once, during the a repair slowdown, we went to one of the few windows and looked out. Our teacher pointed to a star or something and said that that star would be our new sun. I looked in that direction, and I guess she was pointing to the one that was slightly bigger than the others. That speck was supposed to be our new sun? It looked nothing like the one in all of the pictures and videos. The earth one was much bigger than this one. I mean, sure, the sun was a star, and this was a star, but didn't the earth one have to do other things like heat everything else up as well? With this one just as small as everything else, how would it heat up anything? Teacher must have guessed my doubting, because then she said that it looked small now, but that was because we were still very, very far away. Apparently, when we got to this new earth, we would not even be able to look directly at it, because it would be so bright it would hurt our eyes. I looked at the point of light again. I still did not believe our teacher.

But I still had to listen, and I still had to take those tests, and I still had to pass them, or else my parents would get mad, and teacher would get mad, and I would not be allowed to do anything but sit in my room with my textbooks. Which is incredibly boring. And so I at least listen to our teacher. I even took notes on that trip. I take notes on every trip, even when we went to the fields, near where my home is, and she explained about how the Cycles are simulating how weather will be on our new home. She said that before the Cycles, people barely even worked in the fields, even though we do it now. She said that before the Cycles, there was no rain from above, and all the wind was scheduled. She said it was predictable then, and took us to the "safety stock" floor where it was still predictable. I looked in, saw all the grain nicely growing without anyone working. And of course, I asked why make us do work if we obviously didn't have to.

And she told me some fluffy stuff about life expectancy and older people dying and never getting to see the new earth. Then she said my generation was going to be the first to make it to the planet alive, to feel the sunshine on our backs and the soil underneath our feet and that, because we were so lucky, we needed to prepare for this new life.

Even now, I roll my eyes at this luck. What "luck". More work. More classes.