PDA

View Full Version : Let's Make A Video Game!

Nevan
11-02-2010, 01:23 AM
Probably not the most relevant of titles... the "us" you see hidden there is actually a me. And "me" is only posting this because me has come about the October BETA of UDK.

What is UDK? UDK is the free, non-commercial use version of Unreal Engine 3, which is an Engine that has been used to create many Blockbuster, seventh generation (Xbox360, PS3, Wii) video games over the past few years.

And I'm hella excited!

Before I get ahead of myself, I haven't even opened the damn Program yet. My coding experience is minimal (I can only just write a calculator in C++.. That's about it) and my art, let's face it, sucks.

Yet it's been a dream for years, now! And I thought: why not? I'm going to make a video game! It's bound to be hard, filled with blood, sweat, and tears, and I'll no doubt start small (which is actually big), but what the hell? I can do this, I can make a video game!

So why don't you guys try it, too? In fact, why don't we all try it? Let's face it, Video Games have become as large as the music and film industry, they take up more of our time than any other hobby, and what-the-hell, we've all had ideas we have wanted to see walk the hall of gaming fame. So throw your suggestions, ideas, critiques, whatever else you want down here in this thread!

My first idea? Heck, I'm not even sure. After I find my way around this thing, I'll make something small, and fun. Maybe one of those arcade-style games you see on Xbox Live marketplace. My ultimate goal is to make a Medieval Warfare simulator, from a first-person perspective.

More depth than Mount and Blade, yet not as dull as ARMA/II tends to be. Heck, why not start as a man with a stick, and grow until we're wearing golden plate armour, and pulling off realistic Blockbuster movie combos? 300 style?

So post away people! As I progress, if I do, I'll be sure to update with screenies, maybe even YouTube videos.

Griphun
11-02-2010, 01:39 AM
Hmm, so what are you asking of us exactly? I'm interested.

Biophysicist
11-02-2010, 01:43 AM
I'm making a game based on the comic "Homestuck" (which is awesome btw). It's written in JavaScript, so it's going to be pretty simple. It's a two-player game where the "client player" fights imps and stuff and the "server player" manipulates the environment around him/her to help. (This is taken directly from the early phases of Homestuck.)

Ace of Hearts™
11-02-2010, 02:50 AM
Nazi Hookers, 'nuff said.

Nevan
11-02-2010, 07:09 AM
I'm not exactly asking anything, Reidy-Bear, this is simply a topic to try and encourage video game programmers to share what they make with the community. =P

And Biophysicist, that sounds awesome. 0.o
I haven't read much Homestuck, but I haven't enjoyed a comic like it in... Well... Ever. If you release the game, you better be sure to gimme a link. XD