PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion Box V4

G
11-07-2016, 02:27 PM
Brand new server, brand new suggestion box! Suggest away!

https://assets.entrepreneur.com/content/16x9/822/1392158166-reinvent-product-not-wheel.jpg

Still a no on the chatbox.

Crazywolf
11-08-2016, 01:07 PM
It was suggested before and someone was going to investigate it but basically make it so the smileys on the smiley list appear in a default order.

Maya
11-09-2016, 02:42 AM
I think it would be nice to have the smiley's in some type of alphabetical order. I'm always looking for the one I want. I swear they move around on me. *s*

G
11-14-2016, 01:11 PM
I can't find a way to do either of those things, but I'll look into more options for customizing which smiley's are displayed, thanks guys. :)

Also, at the request of a few people, I've moved the Mature Recycle Box (http://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46) into the general roleplay forum so the threads there are accessible to you guys. Some of those that obviously belonged to a certain genre have been sorted into the appropriate forum. If you would like a thread there to be moved to a different forums recycle box just PM me or let us know here (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84782&p=2839193#post2839193). :)

Crazywolf
01-18-2017, 02:19 AM
I would like to suggest an idea for an annual alumni event where old members come back.

Members who don't have the time to post here regularly anymore would sign up to some form of contact list saying that they were willing to be contacted once a year and then once a year the staff would send out a group email telling them it was alumni day and there would be created on the forum a special alumni thread where they can come back and say hi to everyone.

.Karma.
01-19-2017, 12:40 AM
Here's why I think that's going to be really difficult. For these members that don't have the time to sign in... They aren't going to be able to sign up for such a thing because they are not logging in to RPA and without them logging into RPA I'm not sure how we could get anyone to sign up for these events/emails.

Crazywolf
01-19-2017, 01:18 AM
Well some people could to sign up before they actually left like if they knew they were going to become inactive. In the case of others you might get someone who used to post here regularly but now they log in maybe once every 12 months or so to check up what is going on so they'd see it when they logged on. Personally I still have a lot of old forums where I used to post saved in my favourites lists, once every couple of years I might go back to the page from curiosity just to look at who is still there or even just to see which ones are still going.

Salroka
01-21-2017, 06:01 PM
I think Karma has the right of it overall. While it would likely work and draw a couple folks back, the return gained for the effort and time put forth would be far from an equivalent exchange. As such, I don't feel as though it would really be worthwhile for the staff to implement such a thing. Solid suggestion in theory, but not really all that simple to enact.

G
01-22-2017, 12:24 AM
I agree - great idea though difficult to implement. It could be something you guys do as a member event, though?

Crazywolf
01-23-2017, 01:21 AM
Maybe. though without some way of reminding people I think people may find it hard to remember it.

G
01-23-2017, 05:31 AM
A skype reunion group? Or someone keeping a mailing list?

Crazywolf
01-23-2017, 06:00 AM
Yeh possibly either of those could work.

Tolvo
01-23-2017, 10:45 AM
Might I suggest Discord? Servers on it are free it runs better on most computers and allows for free group voice chat, generally it is better than skype.

Soulio
01-23-2017, 05:59 PM
Still a no on the chatbox.

What about a box with a little sign that says "chat"?

G
01-23-2017, 11:08 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma3fvwfW6R1qklrl5.gif

Zulera301
01-25-2017, 07:00 AM
Platinum Star for the rep system (or something similarly pretty-colored. emerald? sapphire? go the way of Mafia Wars and have a ruby one maybe?).

'nuff said.

John
01-25-2017, 07:22 AM

Couldn't find a box. How about a circle?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/7nKOptercFojhtVyUBe3oUqel3XYNCOkFCI6YBuJ9mhYtIepF-NOMidTvga7BiYtQg4=w300

Platinum Star for the rep system (or something similarly pretty-colored. emerald? sapphire? go the way of Mafia Wars and have a ruby one maybe?).

'nuff said.

That's a good idea. I'll see if I can figure out how difficult it would be to do and maybe the staff will bite.

Omac
01-25-2017, 07:41 AM
An RPA version of the Amazing Race! Eleven teams of two. Puzzles that lead to a certain thread hidden on the site that you have to click on to get to, or a YouTube video, showing what the challange is and who to send it to. Last team to finish each challange is eliminated till your down to two and then the first one to finish wins! It can be anything from drawling, singing, writing, costume, banner making, or other things we could come up with. It's fun because one person could be at writing Fanfiction while the other member of the team could be good at taking pictures and editing them?

I know it's a longshot, but I just had to share my idea.

G
01-25-2017, 11:35 PM
I actually love that idea Omac!

It would be quite a bit of work to set up, but sounds like so much fun!

rabbit
01-26-2017, 06:35 PM
I like that idea.

i claim karma as my partner

.Karma.
01-26-2017, 08:10 PM
Ahhhh hell yea! Omac, you should plan it out and run it as a member event? Or plan it and PM it to me! I think it sounds fun ;)

Omac
01-26-2017, 10:43 PM
Sure, I can work on that. I WILL be needing some help though, as it's always best to have other ideas then just one person's, so if anyone wants to work on this they can. Warning though; if you help make it you CANNOT participate in it. Sorry, but then you would know all the challanges and such.

Omac
02-13-2017, 05:54 AM
Putting the MP3 code and strike through code in the "go advanced," toolbar. It be so much easier then typing it out!

G
02-13-2017, 06:13 AM
Putting the MP3 code and strike through code in the "go advanced," toolbar. It be so much easier then typing it out!

No problem Omac;, I've added buttons for both. Strikthrough is the little 'A' with a line through it and MP3 is the music note in the grey circle. :)

Omac
02-13-2017, 06:37 AM
Testing

YES. You're amazing!

Kicks
02-13-2017, 02:50 PM
G; IM SERIOUSLY LOVING THE TAGS
THIS IS AWESOME

Crazywolf
02-13-2017, 04:26 PM
On the topic of the toolbar is it possible to promote the [hide] tag to the quick-reply view.

m139
02-13-2017, 07:34 PM
2 things, mostly because I have a terrible memory...

1) Maybe you could put the max avi and sig guidelines in a more accessible place under the rules tab? I finally found a reference to it buried under something else in the FAQ forum, but I think this would make it easier to find.

2) Second, I don't know if you guys work on the BBcode reference page that can be clicked on at the bottom of every page, but whoever cleaned it up did it well. If possible, though, could you put back on the coding reference for horizontal lines?

Thanks for considering,
m

Crazywolf
02-13-2017, 08:16 PM
Actually thinking of it I had another suggestion too. It was to change the name of the roleplaying online section to something more reflective of what it is so as it's easier for newcomers to orient themselves.

G
02-14-2017, 02:52 AM
Crazywolf; yes, it's possible. Super irritating to do on a mobile so I'll have a look when I get on my laptop.
m139; we can definitely take a look at making the sig rules a bit more accessible. There's a button for the horizontal line on the 'go advanced' toolbar, but we can add the code for sure ( it's [h r] by the way :) )

That's a good thought as well crazy about the title of the rules/help/intro forum. Hmm, what about 'Getting Started' or 'Forum Info & Introductions'

m139
02-14-2017, 02:56 AM
Thanks!

Yeah, I figured it out again. Luckily, Google has all the answers, even if my mind does not retain them.

Crazywolf
02-14-2017, 11:26 AM
That's a good thought as well crazy about the title of the rules/help/intro forum. Hmm, what about 'Getting Started' or 'Forum Info & Introductions'

Yeh either of those sounds ok. or 'News, Rules, Help and Info'.

G
02-21-2017, 04:00 AM
The information on max signature size has been added to the forum rules (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81910) thread. :)

The 'Roleplaying Online' section has been renamed 'Getting Started'

Soulio
02-22-2017, 05:34 PM
Naz, I SUPPOSE a circle shall do... just not the same though...

As for a proper suggestion however, how difficult would it be to allow for a bit more personal customization on the profile banner (where it shows post count and such other things I know little about)

And second on more stars for the rep system. Shame there is nothing for 5 gold dubloons, I mean stars.

G
02-22-2017, 10:48 PM
You can see in the New Forum Features thread we announced the creation of a badge for those who max out the rep system - unfortunately we aren't able to add any more stars at this time.

Your profile has a lot of options for customizing it already, I'm not sure exactly what you mean about the banner?

HaelKatrin
02-22-2017, 10:58 PM
I think he means personalizing what shows up on the left whenever you post? Like, being able to pick what badges show up and stuff.

John
02-23-2017, 03:38 AM
Hael si correct. He means the postbit(that's what it's called, though I understood what you meant Soul)

I will have to look and see if there is a hack for the badge system that allows this. I don't believe it's possible in the modification, but I will double check.

Crazywolf
06-23-2017, 01:28 PM
Hi I was just wondering if it would be possible to give common members the ability to delete draft blog posts.

rabbit
06-23-2017, 05:36 PM
I actually think you can? Cause I remember fussing with it as a member... Hmm...

.Karma.
06-23-2017, 07:06 PM
I don't think they can delete... they can lock blogs so others cant see them...

rabbit
06-23-2017, 10:07 PM
Fudge

Crazywolf
06-24-2017, 05:09 PM
Yeh as it stands it doesn't let us do it. not unless there is some second method which I'm not aware about.

Omac
07-09-2017, 10:48 AM
Okay, so I've had some ideas of the website since I stayed up all night (unrelated) and now my brain is overthinking things. I'm not sure if these are good ideas or if they're even possible, but they might be good so I'll suggest them anyway.

1. I noticed a while back that some members are afraid for there writing to be seen so they 1x1's in the PM's. I've done this myself and I noticed a glitch with it. Unless you want to end up scrolling forever and have a mess then you have to delete past messages at some point. This causes an issue that it's harder to see what happened before and if you have more then one RP with the same person then it's easy to get them confused. So my idea was, if it's even possible, make a way to have to where these people can post in the forum like normal without every member being able to see them. Like, only the people in the RP and then the mods are able to see it? That way they can feel safe without it being a mess.

2. Chat RP's should make a come back. I didn't understand it at first why the chat RP section was taken down, but I thought about it and I think it's because there really wasn't that many people in it compared to the other sections. I guess it doesn't really matter why it's gone, but it's gone. I'm not saying it should be made into a complete section again, but that there be more of notice to this type of RP. A lot of newbies or people who don't even become members come to RPA after doing such RP's. I know that's where I started. But, now I feel like we could be losing potential members by not having it known that they're allowed and possible.

3. Newbie training academy. I mentioned this to a mod or two, but I been thinking about it. You could have members who have been around for a while sign up to help teach new players how it works. They would have to choose a rank based on a short description to see where they stand. The newbie who wanted to partake in this would also choose a rank. The only way a teacher could be matched with a student is if they're at least one rank higher. So if a newbie comes in only knowing chat RP's then I'd be able to help them, but if someone at my level came in I might need someone else. The length you've been here shouldn't matter too much as that isn't how we determine skill, but they should have at least been around long enough for us to know that they're sticking around.

4. There should be another thing like RPALandia. I'm not sure why it failed and honestly it's none of my business, but I think a huge issue was members posting often enough. As many of you know I recently had a project named Open World and now I'm thinking some of it's ideas could be applied to this. Basically there is a log out system. If a player is inactive for two weeks and hasn't given any notice of where they'll be then they're logged out and the game continues without them. if they're gone another two weeks they'll be able to be replaced. Also, if they ever wish to return and there is an open slot they would continue with the same level and skills, but would have been sent back to the main area or starting point and wouldn't be able to join the same mission they were on before. Maybe. It depends.

Okay, those are what I've come up with! I hope some of these can help RPA out.

.Karma.
07-09-2017, 02:23 PM
1. As far as I know this isn't really a possibility. The way I generally keep track is to copy and paste into a document so I know where I'm at in the roleplay and type back there and then copy paste into the PM. Idk if that helps you but it's just something I've learned from doing some parts of RPs in PMs.

2. Chat RPs just didn't need it's own section, just like we decided mature didnt. You can find/start chat RPs in their respective sections and I have seen them there. Just go to the genre you'd like to put it in and go from there like any RP. The reason the section was removed just like other section is because there really wasn't any chat RPs so it just became an empty section and there was no reason for it when it could be categorized just like all the other RPs - by genre. It keeps things organized for us.

3. I have brought it to the staff and we are discussing this. It is a really good idea!

4. You are more than welcome to start an open world! RPAlandia just kinda died, but there is a lot of open worlds for players to join and ones they have :) Open worlds take a lot of effort put into them, and with G and Juni already running one of them, I'm not sure that the staff bringing in an open world at the moment would work with the amount of time it takes to run one! I will also take this to the rest of them though! Just wanted to give you a response <3

Thanks for the suggestions, dove :)

Omac
07-09-2017, 02:32 PM
1. Okay. I know basically nothing about coding and especially nothing about the website service RPA uses. I was just hoping. That document thing is a pretty good idea. I'm surprised I didn't think of it...

2. I completely understand why they had to be take down. I was just saying that I don't see them around very much as I don't think they're well known and that it might help bring in a different kind of RPer if it was made apparent that it's available.

3. Cool! At least one of my ideas seems like a good one.

4. I didn't mean anytime soon, of course. I just mean in the future if it's ever going to be attempted again then that is a good way of doing it. Anyone can take that strategy by the way. And, I'd love to make it myself, but I'm just not up for a project that big.

Crazywolf
07-09-2017, 09:04 PM
The issue for me with the chat roleplays was always the fact that unlike with other sections the new games didn't actually show up on the forum sidebar meaning I never actually noticed them.

Crazywolf
07-26-2017, 05:28 AM
Hi I was just wondering if there was a way to improve the tagging system, like how with the current system you cant tag people like rabbit. maybe a system that uses like this?

John
07-26-2017, 05:45 AM
Hi I was just wondering if there was a way to improve the tagging system, like how with the current system you cant tag people like rabbit. maybe a system that uses like this?

The tagging is actually a modification for the forum. There is a free version and a paid version. Guess which we are using XD It's possible that with the paid version it would be doable. Not sure. Would have to go look.

G
08-02-2017, 01:38 AM
Omac; we used to have something called Travincal: The RPA University which is very much like the training academy idea you described. I would love to see it up and running again in future, it's on my to do list!

As to RPAlandia, wasn't it amazing! Another site wide RP is definitely something we want to do, however it takes a lot of time and planning as it's such a large scale event. RPALandia had over 50 members involved!

Crazywolf; for members with unusual characters in their name, you can tag them using the actual tag code, and their user ID (user ID can be found if you visit someone's profile, and look at the page url. At the end of the URL there will be an equals sign, and then a number - the number is their user ID.) The code is as follows (remove the spaces before the end brackets):

NAME

For example, yours would be Crazywolf[/MENTION ]

This also means you can use a nickname, instead of the persons actual username as you're typing whatever you'd like it to say in-between the brackets - for example:
[MENTION=44191 ]CW[/MENTION ]

creates

[MENTION=44191]CW

but still links to your profile. :)

Crazywolf
08-02-2017, 01:46 AM
G; cool thanks, didn't realise you could do that.

What about my blog suggestion?

Tolvo
08-02-2017, 01:55 AM
I could maybe help with the university if it starts up again. :sweat:

Omac
08-02-2017, 03:19 AM
Now we got you. No hiding anymore. Karma

Oh, okay! Let me know if you need someone to bounce ideas off of.

.Karma.
08-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Lol none of it works for those of us with special characters. We have tried all of them. Including the Mention tags. Not sure why lol So, nice try! :P You will never get meeee

G
08-04-2017, 03:08 AM
Hmm, that's weird Karm! Alright, since we can't annoy you with tags I'm gonna have to ban any special characters in usernames! Kidding, kidding. :P I'll look into the tagging thing but it seems like it just may not work for those guys :(

Price
08-31-2017, 03:44 PM
Can we add a forum back scratcher? I have a bitch of an itch and I just can't quite reach it!

rabbit
08-31-2017, 03:49 PM
/scratches Price's back

Price
08-31-2017, 07:07 PM
/scratches Price's back

Dawwww such a nice bunny

rabbit
08-31-2017, 07:34 PM
i help O;

Crazywolf
08-31-2017, 08:36 PM
I vote that the forum should have a scratching-post where Rabbit can keep her claws sharp.

Price
09-01-2017, 12:21 AM
I vote that the forum should have a scratching-post where Rabbit can keep her claws sharp.

The motion is seconded.

All in favor of having Rabbit be the forum's designated back scratcher?

G
09-01-2017, 01:54 AM
These seem more like suggestions for Omac's suggestion box (https://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=88293) XD

(Sandman)

Price
09-01-2017, 02:04 AM
These seem more like suggestions for Omac's suggestion box (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=88293) XD

Whyever would you suggest such a thing? I am very serious about this. XD

Holeypaladin
09-14-2017, 04:19 AM
Bring back Aftermath!

G
09-14-2017, 08:19 AM
It will be back - it's not compatible with the SSL at the moment but as soon as I fix it it will return. :)

G
09-14-2017, 09:03 AM
Holeypaladin; Aftermath is back. :)

G
09-14-2017, 11:07 AM
As requested by Crazywolf; and Maya; the uncategorized smilies have been put into alphabetical order. Sorry it took me so long to figure out how to do it! :)

Crazywolf
09-14-2017, 06:34 PM
:D:AWSM:-T-:aweme:-approval-:alice:B)~bubbles~

Nice job. I actually forgot about this suggestion but I think now it's changed it should definately make them easier to use (god know what the vbulletin programmers were smoking when they decided that random-order was a sensible default).

Omac
09-18-2017, 04:16 AM
Speaking of the smiles, it be pretty cool if we could pick our favorites to pop up first. I mean in that little box before we click "more,".

G
09-18-2017, 07:02 AM
Don't think there's a way to have them be different for individuals, however we can put particular ones there for everyone, maybe we could make a thread and people could weigh in on which should be displayed there?

HaelKatrin
09-18-2017, 08:46 AM
Im not sure how on a programers side of things, but, you could make it so "most frequently used" or "last used" appears in that box.

G
09-18-2017, 09:28 AM
Not possible, unfortunately; if you imagine it from a server load perspective, the system would have to be constantly logging every smiley used and updating the list accordingly, for each person, each page load. I've made a forum game called Post Your Favourite Smiley (https://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=89155&p=2933675#post2933675) so if people want to post some they like here, maybe I can change it up periodically, which ones appear in the first box. :)

Crazywolf
09-19-2017, 07:50 PM
It could be helpful to newbies to put in a couple of frequent ones as well. like the XD and :)

Omac
10-02-2017, 01:32 AM
What if you made the dice code as a button on the keys?

[roll]2d6[/roll ]

Then we can edit it if we want to change it to 1 dice or whatever.

G
10-02-2017, 02:10 AM
You mean on the textbox toolbar? I could do that, no worries. :)

Omac
10-02-2017, 02:25 AM
Yeah! It would save so much trouble for me everyone!

G
10-02-2017, 02:30 AM
XD It's a little more tricky than I thought -leave it with me. :)

edit: the dice tags have been added to the advanced toolbar, however you still need to type the dice number and amount values yourself.

Omac
10-02-2017, 03:00 AM
[roll0]

Crazywolf
10-02-2017, 10:13 PM
Woo this is gonna be super handy.

[roll0]

Craze
10-02-2017, 10:21 PM
I never understood the dice system, someone explain it to me? Doesn't have to be here, you can tell me through VM so we don't clutter the thread. :)

Basically I don't understand what you have to put in between the [ROLL] tags. My result is always 2d6 [8]

G
10-02-2017, 10:41 PM
The first number is how many dice, the second number how many sides the die have -

so 2d6 is 2 x 6 sided dice, 1d4 is one four sided, etc. The result is the sum of all the dice. There's ALOT of other things you can do with it, too, like showing each result, rolling a few and showing only, say, the best two results, I'll have a dig for the thread with the full explanation. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go! (https://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45013&highlight=dice+roller)

Craze
10-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Thanks! <3

also now I miss V. ;-;

Omac
10-03-2017, 07:06 AM
....I want the November Mustache skin to stay for a whole year, or... forever. I know Kicks isn't as active anymore and I'm pretty sure she made it, but.. I want it. We all do.

G
10-03-2017, 10:45 PM
Thanks! <3

also now I miss V. ;-;

Me too!!!!

Omac, ask and you shall receive - it's nearly Movember after all ;)

Crazywolf
10-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Hi, as a future event I'd like to suggest an rpa christmas party.

edit: and just to clarify what I mean is simply have an event hosted here on the forum. While a party in real life would be amazingly awesome I am sure that for most people the expense and complication of actually getting to one wouldn't be very practical. :P

Omac
10-12-2017, 10:12 PM
Hi, as a future event I'd like to suggest an rpa christmas party.

edit: and just to clarify what I mean is simply have an event hosted here on the forum. While a party in real life would be amazingly awesome I am sure that for most people the expense and complication of actually getting to one wouldn't be very practical. :P

I agree. It shouldn't have any twists or a big story. Just everyone sitting around together drinking some hot chocolate and telling stories together. A sendoff to 2017 and a hello to a brand new day for RPA.

Crazywolf
10-13-2017, 04:41 AM
I agree. It shouldn't have any twists or a big story. Just everyone sitting around together drinking some hot chocolate and telling stories together.

Well I don't mind the hot chocolate but I think the party should have a few other things to enjoy as well such as food and wine - or food and soda for folks who don't drink alcohol. :P

I agree though it doesn't need any big plot or anything. just a friendly event where people can play themself and interact in character.

Omac
10-13-2017, 05:52 AM
Well I don't mind the hot chocolate but I think the party should have a few other things to enjoy as well such as food and wine - or food and soda for folks who don't drink alcohol. :P

I agree though it doesn't need any big plot or anything. just a friendly event where people can play themself and interact in character.

I wasn't being specific on the food! There should be something for everyone. If we wanted to do a small plot somewhere in it we could have someone spike the drinks and just watch the normal Christmas party turn into a disaster. Just some random funny RPA charm. Or it could just be simple.

G
10-14-2017, 01:23 AM
Noted, thanks for the suggestion. :)

Kicks
10-15-2017, 02:59 PM
10/10 love the mustache skin forever and always xD

Crazywolf
10-16-2017, 06:08 AM
I have another idea. With the 'vote for rpa' thing you could put an announcement at the top of the board with the announcements function. that way people will see the link each time they log on.

also Kicks; your signature is out of date. ;)

Omac
10-16-2017, 01:14 PM
So I love that I can put my subscribed threads into folders, but it would really cool if I could also be able to see all the ones that were most recently posted in.

Kicks
10-16-2017, 01:36 PM
I love that idea and second it!

XD ah man I'm too lazy to update it

G
10-17-2017, 02:02 AM
So I love that I can put my subscribed threads into folders, but it would really cool if I could also be able to see all the ones that were most recently posted in.

Can't you do that already on your 'settings' page? :)

Crazywolf
10-31-2017, 04:14 PM
I have another idea for a forum event. It would be a setting like RPAlandia, either the same as before or a new version, whereby the members and staff all play as a version of themself but all with some type of chosen special powers or special abilities which would help them in a fight. The plot would be that city they live in is under attack from an army of creatures/robots/ninja-aliens and the members have to defend it with their powers.

Like other member rps I am imagining it could work on pattern of having members roll the dice each turn for survival - though ideally such that you wouldn't be able to die in the first turn.

Omac
10-31-2017, 07:11 PM
I have another idea for a forum event. It would be a setting like RPAlandia, either the same as before or a new version, whereby the members and staff all play as a version of themself but all with some type of chosen special powers or special abilities which would help them in a fight. The plot would be that city they live in is under attack from an army of creatures/robots/ninja-aliens and the members have to defend it with their powers.

Like other member rps I am imagining it could work on pattern of having members roll the dice each turn for survival - though ideally such that you wouldn't be able to die in the first turn.

...I have so many ideas for RPA events. I do feel like it's a little too early for another one though. I'd say start planning it and have it come out a little while after the rumble. I'm not sure when that is, but it's normally sometime after the awards, right? And, the awards period is still going until we know who the winners are.

.Karma.
10-31-2017, 09:05 PM
Here is the struggle. We already do quite a few events. Ones that the staff is all involved in, more than you actually see a lot of the time. When you start adding more in and ones that the staff need to be included in, it makes it really hard on us cause we have a lot of other things that are required as well, we also have famillies and lifes and we want to write it our personal stories as well and it's hard to add full blown staff participations events on top of it as well.

Crazywolf
10-31-2017, 09:54 PM
...I have so many ideas for RPA events. I do feel like it's a little too early for another one though. I'd say start planning it and have it come out a little while after the rumble. I'm not sure when that is, but it's normally sometime after the awards, right? And, the awards period is still going until we know who the winners are.

Oh yeh I wasn't imagining anything straight away. after all we just had 2 events recently, or 3 if you count the 3 rpa awards. I was just suggesting it as one for the future - I would certainly not for instance imagine any time this year & if it did ever happen it'd also have to fit round whastever other future stuff was already planned.

Here is the struggle. We already do quite a few events. Ones that the staff is all involved in, more than you actually see a lot of the time. When you start adding more in and ones that the staff need to be included in, it makes it really hard on us cause we have a lot of other things that are required as well, we also have famillies and lifes and we want to write it our personal stories as well and it's hard to add full blown staff participations events on top of it as well.

Well it would not necessarily need to be compulsory for all staff to be involved. As I remember with RpaLandia some staff were involved in it and some were not. Basically it's just a thing/idea that could happen if a group of staff were interested in doing it, otherwise it's just a suggestion.

But compared to the original rpalandia it would really be something a lot simpler as rather than loads of quests the whole thing would just be 1 single event.

Chaotic Cam
01-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Perhaps there could be a single stickied thread where users could post general questions, where staff and people who know the answer could tag the person and answer their question for them in that thread? That way a user or newbie might not have to feel wary about making a new post every time they have a question or something they need clarification on, ect, or feel like they're bugging someone through PM's with constant questions.

If there's a thread already like this I'm sorry, lol, (and please point it out to me?) Just thought a single questions thread might be helpful. ^^

John
01-04-2018, 06:56 AM
We don't have a single thread for it, but no one ever need feel wary. We have an entire forum section where people can post any question about the forum or RPing in general. It can be found here (https://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=196)inside of the Forum Help and FAQ (https://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4) section.

And if anyone ever needs to contact a member of staff for any reason, please do not feel that you're bothering someone. Staff are here to help and we are happy to do so.

.Karma.
01-04-2018, 11:14 PM
We don't have a single thread for it, but no one ever need feel wary. We have an entire forum section where people can post any question about the forum or RPing in general. It can be found here (https://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=196)inside of the Forum Help and FAQ (https://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4) section.

And if anyone ever needs to contact a member of staff for any reason, please do not feel that you're bothering someone. Staff are here to help and we are happy to do so.

Yes! All of this!

Omac
02-09-2018, 11:20 AM
Would it be possible to add a way to save draft pms for later? I know the blogs have this functionality up to 15 blogs. This is a low priority request. I'm not sure how helpful it would be other then an added convince, but it could still be cool to have.

John
02-13-2018, 12:10 AM
Not unless there is a modification for it. Unfortunately it's not an option that is built in.

I will mention that you have a notepad on the site in your settings. Could always draft PMs there.

Omac
02-13-2018, 12:29 AM
Oh, okay that works!

Crazywolf
10-31-2018, 02:59 PM
I have a suggestion to drive site activity. It's based off something Dnafein said in the other thread though not quite the same.

My suggestion is create a roleplay etiquette guide.

I realize that many gms already put etiquette rules in their roleplay ooc but if there was an actual official etiquette guide for the forum as a whole then maybe it would help a bit.

Bee Bear
12-03-2018, 08:04 PM
Better all round accessibility and design would be very good for attracting and keeping new members.

Areas that can be improved upon? The skins/themes. Firstly, there are a lot of them, which isn't necessarily a good thing considering that most of them are out of date and poorly coded in terms of ease of use. Going through and updating them with current links, banners, etc isn't practical considering there are so many. And remember that the more skins you offer, the longer the site takes to load.

Another thing is that as far as I can tell, the only truly responsive theme you have is the one specifically made for mobile. In this day and age that's a huge turn off for most users, both mobile and otherwise. Because it's missing so many features the full theme has to offer, you'll get very few people using it. Also remember that there are those who cannot use dark themes and those who cannot use light themes.

Offering a light, dark and mixed theme is all you need (provided they're responsive). The roleplaying community as a whole is becoming more conscious of appearance and ease of use. Modernizing RPA's look and streamlining some things will go a long way towards keeping up with those trends and staying relevant.

G
12-03-2018, 10:51 PM
Great suggestions guys - the mobile-friendly point especially! Thanks :)

Crazywolf
12-05-2018, 04:06 PM
Actually the current look of the site is something I quite like though maybe its just because I'm part of an older generation that prefers the old style of design. I also like that there is an option to have a narrow skin. if all the themes were simply ones responsive to screen size as being suggested i'd find that a bit of a downer.

edit: also I remember on previous surveys there were a lot of people who liked viewing the forum in different colors beside the default. if there's a few skins that want updating then fair enough but going from a dozen choices down to just 3 for the want of someone doing a few updates seems a bit drastic.

Bee Bear
12-05-2018, 07:15 PM
A properly coded responsive skin isn't wide AF. Responsive simply means that if your screen is narrow, it'll adjust to fit. And if it's VERY narrow, certain elements of the skin will shift and display differently in order to accommodate that. For example, the sidebar will move from the right to the top or bottom of the page in order to save room. And on wider skins, the body of the forum is made to take up only a set percentage of the screen (say 80%) and not go above a certain pixel width (generally around 1000px to 1300px depending on the coder).

And again, a lot of choices in colour and design is great but it does cause a huge amount of database lag to load them all. It's function vs form, really.

John
12-06-2018, 12:24 AM
The skins we're all coded using the vbulletin software. With that software, you can have a fixed or fluid skin. Fixed is like the RPA orange and gray skin which will not fill the whole screen giving the forum the approximate width of a page in a paperback book.

Fluid is wider and will fill your whole screen. Not sure off the top of my head which ones are.

As for everything else, all colours are inputted as style variables. No actual coding is done. And because the forum uses vbulletin, to code a skin from scratch would not be easy as vbulletin uses it's own language for most things once you get passed the xml stuff.

Bee Bear
12-06-2018, 07:25 AM
I'm not super familiar with vbulletin coding but from what I see, some things you should be able to change using pure css in the Style Builder. Clever CSS is all you really need to make something responsive. Access to the HTML (templates) would be handy but not a prerequisite.

By editing a standard free skin this way, not starting from scratch, you can still make something responsive.