PDA

View Full Version : Spell Crafting

Froggy
02-08-2017, 03:23 AM
A place to submit spell ideas for use in the roleplay. Any player may submit an idea for a spell, though these spells may or may not be created by that player's character. A first year with no magical history won't be creating new spells.

As always, with the creation of new things certain requirements must be kept in mind for safety reasons-

1. All spells must be in Latin, with an English translation attached.
2. A detailed description of what the spell does.
3. Keep in mind the godmodding rules when creating new spells.
4. Dark spells are fair game so long as they meet the above requirements.

Death of Korzan
03-10-2017, 08:20 PM
I have four new spells to add to this list. Two of them were described within Cary's character sheet and due to that being accepted I am assuming these are okay. The other two are just ones I thought of that I figured would be interesting.

Name: Cruris Expungo - The Leg-Taker Charm

Level Required: 3

Type of Spell: A physical, offensive spell.

Effect: The spell works much like Gilderoy Lockhart's failed usage of Brackium Emendo, but instead of intending to fix bones it instead reduces them to a jelly like substance. Whilst this does not necessarily cause pain, it obviously stops the user from walking unless Skele-Gro is utilised, a bone-healing charm is used or enough time is given for the spell to wear off - usually around 2 hours.

Counterspell/Potion:
The Skele-Gro Potion
Time (Around 2 Hours depending on the strength of the charm)
The Ossissum Sanentur Spell (The Bone Healing Spell) is used to maximum effect.

Name: Ranunculus Erecto - The Tadpole-Vomiting Charm

Level Required: 2

Type of Spell: A physical, offensive spell designed to make your enemy debilitated.

Effect: The spell is similar in function to the Slug-Vomiting Charm (Slugulus Erecto) yet instead causes the user to vomit up large clumps of slimy tadpoles. The only time that this spell could possibly be considered dangerous is if all of the tadpoles aren't forced up, as this can sometimes cause a Wizard to become ill. However, there have been no reported deaths ever by this spell and it is more used as a utility to stop people from fighting.

Counterspell/Potion:
Protection spells such as Protega

Name: Ossisum Sanentur - The Bone-Healer Spell

Level Required: 7 (But requires intimate medical knowledge to successfully cast without complications.)

Type of Spell: A defensive healing spell that requires the Wizard to utilise their knowledge of bone structure to quickly rid themselves or others of spells that cause damage to the bones. Can also be used for basic broken bone injuries.

Effect: It is essentially Skele-Gro in spell form. Not many learn the spell as whilst it is easy to cast it does require intimate knowledge of the body and the bone structure of the human (or animal, if the spell is being used upon an animal) body.

Counterspell/Potion: N/A - No need for a counter spell.

Name: Ligatatum Perdairdum - The Ligament-Snapping Curse

Level Required: 8

Type of Spell: A physical, offensive spell.

Effect: When the spell is cast at an opponent and is not stopped, every ligament inside of the opponents body temporarily feels as though it has snapped, leaving burning pain across every inch of their body. Whilst it does not cause lasting damage, it is seen as a cruel spell that is only just out of consideration of being dark magic.

Counterspell/Potion:
Any powerful Protega spell.
Avoidance
Time (Around half an hour)
Most Healing spells revolving around the mellowing of pain, as no actual damage has been made.

G
03-13-2017, 04:38 AM
Crurius Expungo: Accepted, but I would make this a higher level spell, since it's such an offensive type spell. Maybe level 3? Despite it's level I'm still happy for Cary to have used it in the context you described IC.

The other three, accepted. :)

Death of Korzan
03-13-2017, 10:57 AM
Awesome :)

Minkasha
09-19-2017, 06:09 AM
I need some help finishing the details of this spell, sorry! I'm not an expert on HP stuff...

Name: Adorante - The Infatuation Hex

Level Required: 7* (Unless cast by those with Rosewood wands, 2)

Type of Spell: Emotional Manipulation; Persistent

Effect: The spell entraps two people within ten feet of each other with an invisible pink cord the caster can see. This cloudy band of magic manifests and the idealistic infatuation young love embodies. The nervousness, yearning, and reminiscing touch both targets as it continues to hold around them and lengthen across all spans of distance.

This desire is as flimsy as young love can be, even more so as it is only the imitation of the feeling. If the two targets have enough personality conflicts that make them both frustrated with each other more than three times during the spell's duration, Adorante fades. The spell is not as strong as the potion counterparts, not able to sway those already in love or those not of the applicable sexual orientation.

Within the duration of Adorante if the personality's of the targets 'click' with minimal friction, the spell can guide hearts to find true love together - beyond the boundaries of social class, appearances.

Socially Adorante is used in older couples who wish the spice things up or conversely heal very broken social dynamics of those resentful and angry who want to heal their dynamics mutually.

Counterspell/Potion:
The caster may pluck the pink tether at any time and break it.
Those with affinity for love spell magic may not be targets of the spell without consent.
Not applicable sexual orientation of targets.
If both targets are told they are under spell at the same time, it breaks.
Drinking a love potion and looking at oneself in the mirror breaks the spell. (It also nullifies the effect of the love potion)
Time (A week for level 7 and up casters. For Rosewoods, from 2 to 6, equates to how many days the spell will last)

Death of Korzan; Thank you for the format!

G
09-19-2017, 06:42 AM
Looks good Mink - though I would suggest making it less specific to a certain kind of wand; like maybe amending some things to the caster rather than the wand;

an invisible pink cord upon only those with Rosewood wands the caster can see.
Rosewood wand usersThe caster may pluck the pink tether at any time and break it.
Rosewood wand users may not be targets of the spell without consent. - I'm unsure about this, perhaps those with a natural affinity for love spells, or familiar with them could sense the effects and resist it when cast on them?

However with the rosewood wands making it possible to cast at a lower level, I think is fine since different wand materials do have affinity with different types of spells, making them more efficient than others.

I also would amend the time the spell lasts to being dependant on the power of the person who cast it, like someone with level 7 magic might be able to make it last more than a week, someone lower level might be a day or a few days. So maybe lasts an average of a week, depending on the power of the caster.

Minkasha
09-19-2017, 07:00 AM
Looks good Mink - though I would suggest making it less specific to a certain kind of wand; like maybe amending some things to the caster rather than the wand;

an invisible pink cord upon only those with Rosewood wands the caster can see.
Rosewood wand usersThe caster may pluck the pink tether at any time and break it.
Rosewood wand users may not be targets of the spell without consent. - I'm unsure about this, perhaps those with a natural affinity for love spells, or familiar with them could sense the effects and resist it when cast on them?

I thought those with Rosewood wands were the ones with natural affinity with love spells? I can make this less specific - yes.

However with the rosewood wands making it possible to cast at a lower level, I think is fine since different wand materials do have affinity with different types of spells, making them more efficient than others.

Okay cool! ...Would this apply with said people with affinity for love spells without Rosewood wand?

I also would amend the time the spell lasts to being dependant on the power of the person who cast it, like someone with level 7 magic might be able to make it last more than a week, someone lower level might be a day or a few days. So maybe lasts an average of a week, depending on the power of the caster.

So...a level 7 can make it last a week. Why not just make it for each power level a love magic affinity witch/wizard can make it last a day longer, up till 7?

(Aka a 2nd year magic power person makes it last 2 days, a 3rd year magic power person makes it last 3 days and so on and so forth)

And is this a hex? A curse? or just a general spell?

What should I put under 'Type of Spell'?

G
09-19-2017, 07:06 AM
I think hex suits it well. Yep, rosewood is the affinity for love-magic.

Would this apply with said people with affinity for love spells without Rosewood wand?

Interesting question, I'm not sure - I'm kind of thinking, the affinity for that kind of magic is probably part of why a rosewood wand would choose them? So I guess it depends on the strength of their affinity, but if it was strong they would probably have a rosewood wand? Do you get my logic or am I just rambling? XD

The length of time thing sounds perfect :)

Type of spell I guess would be active (it's certainly not a passive spell, anyway) emotional manipulation? Or something like that?

Minkasha
09-19-2017, 07:16 AM
Interesting question, I'm not sure - I'm kind of thinking, the affinity for that kind of magic is probably part of why a rosewood wand would choose them? So I guess it depends on the strength of their affinity, but if it was strong they would probably have a rosewood wand? Do you get my logic or am I just rambling? XD

Okay I've updated the spell so far with everything said.

I'm kind of hoping it'd stay to those who were picked with Rosewoods only to have the Rosewood advantage of love spells. Since that is those characters greatest strength.

G
09-21-2017, 03:52 AM
Spell list updated. :)

Kiro Akira
10-01-2018, 10:06 PM
Name: velox legere

Level Required: 2

Type of Spell: Physical spell

Effect:
Gives the caster the ability to skim/read pages faster then the average reader. Using said spell can make an hour long read as quick as five minutes. Speed depends on the knowledge and use of spell. Along with the amount of magic used into said spell.