PDA

View Full Version : (April '17) Prompt #2 - "Part of your world."

.Karma.
04-01-2017, 02:17 PM
April's 2nd prompt is "Part of your world."

If you have any questions about how to participate in this event,
please visit the The rules and Guideline (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80942) thread or PM Karma (http://role-player.net/forum/member.php?u=47486).

Feeling like offering us a prompt?
Do you want to see your idea featured as one of the Month's prompts?
Click here (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80942&p=2769937&viewfull=1#post2769937) to learn more!

ArtisticVicu
05-01-2017, 04:22 AM
She slammed into the ground, her conjured wings shattering on impact as the sand sprayed everywhere. She wasn't sure how she managed to retain her form, let alone wake up afterwards, but she wasn't complaining. She pushed herself up as several objects landed not too far off. Ahead of her was a house tucked into the base of a cliff on what appeared to be a statue lady's lap. Odd but she wasn't about to question the decor just yet. Or was it in the statue lady's hands? It was hard to tell. Said statue had not been tended to well over the years but that was to be expected. None of the sites were doing well since the war.

Figures were running towards her and she conjured her wings once more, wincing at the strain it put her under. Forcing herself up to her feet, she stumbled, and a set of strong hands caught her. She pushed against the body attached to those hands. "Ne ut a me," she ground out, "Dimitte me alioquin interficiam te animula vilis."

"Easy, Onyx," a voice she hadn't heard in centuries spoke. "It's us. It's Garnet."

"Garnetus?" she looked up into the face above her but still tried to get some distance. "Probare. Ostende mihi faciem tuam oculis meis."

"Ok, ok," Garnet soothed, taking off her glasses to show her eyes as demanded. Onyx relaxed, finding the three eyes as they were supposed to be. Onyx closed her eyes, her entire form shaking for exertion. Garnet's hand moved to her cheek. "Hey, is everything alright? What was all that about having to see my eyes?"

"Quod secutus sum- no. I am cum eorundem....cum." Onyx made a face. She knew the words. A handful of years should not have ruined her knowledge of such a simple language. "I am....followed, hunted...no. Ego cum eorundem domi- tracked! I am being tracked. Semel stultus lingua."

"Tracked by what?"

Onyx looked up at Garnet, regret flashing across her face. "Synths."

"Synths?" a new voice question, causing Onyx to jump, straining against Garnet's touch. Garnet placed herself between the new arrivals - for there was more than just the one that spoke - and calmed her down.

"Easy, Onyx. They're just my friends. Not Synths." Garnet turned as if to double check but it opened Onyx up to see for herself. All three new arrivals had their eyes uncovered and were looking with eyes that were very normal. She let out a shaky breath, her knees collapsing under her. Garnet caught her with ease. "I've got you."

"Paenitet," Onyx responded automatically and tried to get back up. Garnet seemed to have no part of that and scooped her up. Onyx found herself too tired to fight it. "I will be bringing danger. I must leave, Garnet."

"After you have rested. The temple will protect you till you are fit enough to continue your travels," Garnet assured her and Onyx sagged against her.

"Gratias tibi, Garnet. Thank you."

When Onyx opened her eyes, she found herself on a foreign object that had a surprising give to it. Sitting up, weariness dogged her steps and she rubbed at an eye, looking around. The room was empty baring the furniture and items that appeared to belong there in the first place. Moving the blankets, she rested her feet against the floor, wondering if trying to stand was such a good idea. Best way to find out was try it. She pushed herself to her feet and lasted all of a second before her legs gave out again.

She didn't reach the floor.

Garnet was beside her, a hand against her chest to keep her from falling farther as the other hand went to her waist. Onyx placed a hand on Garnet's arm, apologizing. "Sorry, Garnet. But I must keep moving."

"You can speak in the other. I can understand you just fine," Garnet assured her as she righted her.

Onyx shook her head. "It gets easier to deal with a language once I have, uh...interacted, est pars....immersed myself back into the language. Some words will still be hard but I used to know this language as well as my native tongue. Having been so far away from it has caused," she waved her hand about as a gesture of her lack of a word preference, "I guess holes is best to describe it, in the knowledge that I have. The more I interact with the language, the more I'll remember."

Garnet nodded. "If you're sure." She looked about. "The others will be here shortly." Garnet looked back down at her. Onyx realized that Garnet was without her shades. She appreciated the gesture. "They have questions."

"As I'm sure you do as well," Onyx agreed. "Do you want to wait or-"

"Why are the Synths after you?" Garnet cut in.

Onyx gained a fond smile. That answered that question. "Why aren't the Synths after me? I'm a Messenger. I have always been targeted by the Synths."

"Are there others?"

"Messengers?" Onyx clarified. Garnet nodded and Onyx shook her head no. "As far as I can tell, I am the last. I have not encountered another in the last half century. While our workings have us far apart, I have never gone this long without meeting one in passing."

Garnet put a heavy hand on her shoulder. "Have any of the Diamonds done anything about this?"

Onyx gave a skeptical laugh. "Garnet, the world of the Gems has advanced since the last time. The...need for me has decreased to almost nothing. I am surprised I am even being kept whole and not shattered. But, then, I guess they are...anticipating the Synths to do it for them."

Garnet sighed, clearly frustrated. "Then stay here. We can deal with any Synths that show up. We're strong. We're-"

"If they come here, this planet would not survive. Or, at least, not the sentient beings here. You and I both know the Synths and their...virus like nature. They will come in and take out the sentient life here just because they can."

Garnet rubbed at her face. "Ok, ok. But we can't just let you try and survive on your own. There has to be something we can do."

Onyx offered a tired, endearing smile. "You know that I would trade anything to be a part of your world, Garnet, but with the Synthetics locked onto my scent, I am a danger to you and your home." She touched Garnet's arm, gaining a conflicted look from the fusion. "But you and I also know I am not cut out to fight. I am a Messenger, not a Crystal Gem. And as much as I would love to stay here with you fighting the good fight, I have my own fight to attend with before I can aid you in yours." She gave Garnet's hand a squeeze. "I'll be fine."

Conjuring her wings, she plucked a crystal without a thought, shaping it into a crystal starling and offering it to Garnet. "It's not anything fancy but it does relay real time messages."

"You won't stay even for a little bit? Steven was hoping to at least get the chance to make a new friend," Garnet implored.

"Steven?"

"The little boy with the star on his shirt." Garnet even held her hand out at Steven's height.

"Oh! Is he to be here soon, then?"

Garnet nodded. "In a minute."

Onyx dissipated her wings, returning to the couch. "Then that gives us just a small amount of time to continue catching up then."

Onyx was grateful for one thing from the Synthetics as Garnet sat opposite of her; Garnet was far more expressive without the shades she always wore and the look of tentative joy on her old friend's face was a heart warming one.