PDA

View Full Version : (July '17) Prompt #2 - "Close your eyes"

Chat Noir
07-01-2017, 08:29 PM
July's 2nd prompt is "Close your eyes"

If you have any questions about how to participate in this event,
please visit the The rules and Guideline (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80942) thread or PM Karma (http://role-player.net/forum/member.php?u=47486).

Feeling like offering us a prompt?
Do you want to see your idea featured as one of the Month's prompts?
Click here (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80942&p=2769937&viewfull=1#post2769937) to learn more!

ArtisticVicu
07-31-2017, 02:39 AM
The event was in full swing. It was hard not to get swept up in the excitement of the main attraction and it was contagious. Actors and technicians ran around in organized chaos. Or, at least, as close to organized chaos as it all could be. He stared at himself in the mirror, already regretting this and he wasn't even completely ready yet.

There was movement in the mirror's reflection, a patch of pale color in the background. His gaze moved to it, focusing and interpreting what he could see reflected back at him.

A stout skeleton stood laughing with a few of the other actors, not the only real monster at this haunted house and clearly at ease talking with the human actors as much as talking with the monster actors. The skeleton glanced over and their eyes met through the mirror. He hadn't meant to inadvertently end the conversation the skeleton was apart of but said skeleton was already approaching before he had fully registered what his actions had led to.

The skeleton gave him a smile through the mirror, which was odd seeing as the skeleton was always smiling. But he had grown accustom to the slight shifts in the permanent smile that spoke of a frown, a grimace, a fake smile. This one, the one in the mirror now, it was a real one.

He felt ashamed that a kind smile from a friend soothed his frayed nerves so much.

"How are you doing over here, bud?" the skeleton asked without his jaw moving.

He floundered briefly before blurting out, "I have no idea what I'm doing."

His only friend in the entire place laughed - actually laughed! - at him. He would deny later that he pouted at that. The skeleton patted his shoulder. "Sorry, sorry," he urged, grinning. "But you have to admit that that's rather ironic." The skeleton leaned in, offering in a whisper only he heard, "After all, you're not really playing a part you don't know."

He rolled his eyes, pushing at the skeleton. The skeleton chuckled as he hissed, "You know as well as I do that this is not the same thing." His eyes narrowed, flashing red out of anxiety. "This is not the same and i have no idea how to portray this...this thing!"

The skeleton chuckled again, fond smile marring the unashamed skull. "Ok, ok. Calm down and situate your chair to face me."

He reigned in his abilities, swallowing hard as he moved the folding chair to face the skeleton. Sitting made them eye level and, while he would tease the stout skeleton about his height, nerves had robbed him of humor. The skeleton's expression softened when the skeleton looked up from gathering the needed makeup. "Breathe, Alex. You still need oxygen to function."

That got a chuckle out of him and, finally, he started to really relax as his friend started applying the makeup on his face. With nothing better to watch seeing as most of the action was to his left, Alex watched the skeleton's face as the bundle of bones worked.

"Close your eyes," the skeleton softly commanded and Alex complied, feeling the fat makeup brush ghost over his eyelids. "Keep them closed," came the soft command as the brush disappeared from his skin.

An assortment of makeup tools touched his face, some being used once, others used multiple times. It was rather soothing, in a way, and he found himself being startled when a distal phalanx passed over his lips. Specifically the thumb's distal phalanx bone.

"Sans?" he breathed shakily against the bone still hovering there.

"Ah, sorry," came the strained reply. "I used the wrong color of lipstick. I wasn't paying attention-I should have used a tissue or something-"

Even with his eyes closed and the majority of his abilities useless against monsters, he could still pinpoint where Sans was. More specifically, he could distinguish where the skeleton's arm was at, reaching across to the table that held the costuming supplies. His hand wrapped around Sans's wrist, careful of the frail form underneath his touch. "It's ok, Sans. It just startled me. You usually avoid touching me."

A tight chuckle came in response. "Yeah. Still, I should have used a tissue. Lipstick stains bone, too."

There was a heavy silence between them but Alex didn't move to break it. He didn't feel there was a need as he carefully released Sans's arm. He could practically feel the skeleton relax at the lack of contact and that hurt on some level.

A tissue was used in place of bare phalanges to clean up later mistakes.

"Alright, take a look."

Alex opened his eyes, finding himself first looking at a beaming Sans. He turned, looking at the mirror beside him. There, staring back at him, was a pale figure with wild hair and face splattered with blood. His lips had been painted in a cool color that made him look rather dead. There were a few spots of blood all over his face but the majority of the mess was around his mouth where it looked like blood had raced down his throat from an overflow of blood. It was a rather wicked look and matched the attire he had been given: slightly tattered top and bottoms, no shoes, and all of it splattered in blood in some way. There was even a few hand prints in blood. It was rather inventive and well thought out, really.

He caught Sans's interested gaze in the mirror and beamed at the shorter skeleton. "You'll have to show me how to do this tomorrow. It looks great."

Sans beamed back, though it would seem that the compliment had caught Sans a bit off guard. Embarrassment was at the edge of the grin. "Absolutely."

"30 minute warning!" was called over the crowd of technicians and actors.

Alex's head came about, trying to spot who had called off the warning.

"Welp." Alex turned his attention back to Sans and Sans gave him a smile, asking, "Mind helping me look like I'm filthy?"

Alex snorted, standing. "Like you need help with that."

There was a playful shove from his friend but Alex felt far lighter and far more optimistic about the evening than he had not even moments ago.