PDA

View Full Version : (August '17) Prompt #3 - "Seeing is deceiving"

.Karma.
08-05-2017, 03:22 PM
August's 3rd prompt is "Seeing is deceiving"

If you have any questions about how to participate in this event,
please visit the The rules and Guideline (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80942) thread or PM Karma (http://role-player.net/forum/member.php?u=47486).

Feeling like offering us a prompt?
Do you want to see your idea featured as one of the Month's prompts?
Click here (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80942&p=2769937&viewfull=1#post2769937) to learn more!

ArtisticVicu
08-31-2017, 03:57 AM
Previous (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=86912&p=2901061&viewfull=1#post2901061)
Rachel shifted till her back was against the wall, her body facing him and a thoughtful expression on her face. "Well, one way or another, you're going to have to talk with Severus and Tom. They are not going to let you stay indefinitely without your aunt and uncle's permission, especially with Severus being one of your professors. It would be improper."

Harry shook his head. "Rachel. It was bad tonight. I don't care how improper it is, I can't go back. Uncle Vernon threatened to actually follow through with the threats he's been spewing for years. I'm just lucky he was more drunk than sober today."

Rachel's expression darkened. "Harry, did he get his hands on you before you left?"

Harry frowned at her, not trusting where that thought was going at all. "Why?"

"Harry, if you have marks proving abuse, it'll be easier to get you out."

Harry glared at her, defensive and betrayed as he leapt to his feet. "I'm not telling anyone about this."

"You have to," Rachel countered, though she remained sitting. For some reason, her lack of reaction infuriated him even more. "Otherwise Severus will only send you back home when yer time's up."

Harry shook his head. "I'll just not go home."

Rachel glanced out the window but Harry couldn't see what had briefly caught her attention. "You won't have the choice." She focused back on him. "You live too far away. Severus or Tom will end up driving you home. It'll be dark by the time Severus says you have to go. He won't even give you the chance to walk."

"I'm not telling them."

Rachel shrugged as she stood. "Whether you want to or not is all up to you, Harry." She gave him a look he couldn't decipher as she stepped passed. "But they will most likely confront you about it before you leave, regardless of how careful you are. Both of them were abused as kids. They know the signs."

Harry watched her go, feeling lost. He clenched at his shirt, fighting the panic attack coming on. He knew better than to come here. He knew better than to involve anyone else. He should have just found a bridge to live under or figured out how to leave the city and find work in some small town out in the middle of nowhere and disappear into the world.

The panic attack took over without his bidding.

When he finally started to drag himself out of it, he registered the fact that he wasn't alone anymore. He blinked, unable to see clearly who was beside him but the voice was calm and it made for a good anchor, especially when he realized the voice was talking him out of the panic.

From one instance to the next, the world was clear around him though the panic was still there. Harry found himself looking at none other than Tom Riddle, some bigwig in the government with a shady rumor about being a mob boss that Harry knew all too well was very true. This man had been after his family for years - after him for years - and now Tom was helping him out of a panic attack. If he hadn't known better, he would have sworn that he was hallucinating. He had heard from others that the Dark Order was changing its ways due to the boss having had a change of heart. It would seem that he was going to see that change personally. Harry just hoped no Death Eaters joined them for dinner. He had enough working with mobs from having to deal with the Light Order. Honestly, the Phoenixes weren't as scary as the Death Eaters were but they certainly were just as annoying at times.

"You alright, now?"

Harry focused fully on Tom. It would seem his mind had wandered a bit. Giving a curt nod, he watched as Tom seemed to relax, leaning back to give him space. Harry relaxed though he kept an eye on Tom as Rachel came forward, kneeling before him. She refrained from touching him and he smiled at her, appreciating the lack of touching at the moment. Seems she remembered what had happened last time she had touched him so soon after a panic attack.

"I didn't mean to cause that," she offered in apology.

Harry briefly noted the two adults frowning before he turned his full attention her. "You didn't. It's just been a long day."

"That it has," Severus's voice spoke out, drawing all eyes to the dark haired man. "Dinner's ready if we're all hungry."

"Starving," Tom commented, standing. "What have you made for this fine meal?"

Harry couldn't help but watch in awe as Severus's features softened as he looked at Tom. "Chicken Cordon Bleu with couscous, an assorted salad, and mashed potatoes."

Harry was instantly salivating and he whole-heartedly agreed with Rachel's moan and soft muttering of "mashed potatoes and couscous". Though, for him, it all sounded quite enticing. He swallowed thickly, suddenly feeling like he was intruding.

No one seemed to notice Harry's sudden change in demeanor as Tom smiled at Rachel. "I agree." He focused back on Severus. "It all sounds wonderful. It about done, then?"

Severus nodded. "We have about five more minutes before the chicken is done but I don't see why we couldn't start now."

Tom nodded in return, briefly touching the other's arm. "Good. Then let's get started."

Harry fell into step beside Rachel, asking in a low voice, "Ray, I aught to leave now."

She gave him a bewildered look but kept her voice down for his sake. "Why? Severus made enough for all of us."

He blinked at her and she offered him a soft smile. "Dinner was actually set to be ready early. You showing up meant that he had to make some more of everything so that made it so that Tom came home to a hot meal, rather than a lukewarm one."

He started at her. "How..."

She beamed at him. "Seeing is deceiving, Harry." Her expression turned rather serious. "You should know that better than anyone, really, and that means you should know by now I am far more perceptive than I look. That and I've known you long enough to know how your brain works." She brushed her fingers over his arm and he was able to not flinch from the touch. "You are not a hindrance. Severus loves a good excuse to show off his cooking skills to my friends."

Harry offered her a soft smile, touched. "I'm glad I could help."

She beamed at him as they entered the dining room. Four places were set, two seats on each of the long edges of the table. Tom and Rachel moved towards a given seat while Severus went to the kitchen. Harry came to a stop within the entryway, not sure what to do.

"Come join us, Mr. Potter," Tom spoke, his voice encouraging and his expression joyous. "No need to stand there like a coat rack."

Harry glanced into the kitchen. "Won't he need help?" Harry asked, approaching the seat beside Rachel. She had plopped down across from Tom and there was no way he was sitting next to the man.

"Don't worry!" Rachel chimed, uncovering a bowl to reveal rolls. "He'd shoo you away as soon as you appeared to help."

"I'm less likely to lose a dish that way," came a reply from the kitchen. Harry turned to see Severus entering with a large dishes in either hand. He arched an eyebrow at Rachel munching on a roll. "I see the bread has been discovered by the mouse."

"Merely leading by example," Tom seemed to approve, snagging a roll for himself and tearing a chunk off. Harry watched as the man bit into said chunk, not sure if he was permitted to follow suit as he glanced at a beaming Rachel.

Severus rolled his eyes with a sigh, but Harry couldn't tell if the amusement was a trick of the light or not. "Fair enough. Just leave room for the chicken."

Severus returned to the kitchen as Tom grabbed one of the large dishes and started serving himself and the empty plate beside him. Rachel nudged Harry with her elbow and Harry jumped, startled by the touch and accidentally banging his knee against the table. Thankfully, it didn't do more than make a solid thud but Harry still turned bright red because of it. "Sorry," he muttered, looking to Rachel. "What's up?"

She had an expression on her face that shifted too quickly for him to decipher. She gestured at the remaining large dish. "Pass the couscous?"

Harry reached out and picked up the bowl, handing it off. There was quite the helping of both couscous and mashed potatoes, not to mention the amount of rolls. While he knew forms could be deceiving - Ron was a black hole if ever there was one - none of the people present in the home appeared capable of eating all the food present, not even between the three of them. This put Harry at ease a bit, allowing him to take the couscous from Rachel and serve himself from it.

He kept it small, both due to not having eaten well the last few days and not wanting to overdo it as well as due to not wanting to take too much that another went without.

Maybe this wouldn't be so bad. That and the food looked excellent.

"So, Mr. Potter. How's your home life?"

Harry flinched. So much for a good night.