PDA

View Full Version : (September '17) Prompt #1 - "Is it asking too much to be given time?"

Kris
09-08-2017, 10:27 AM
September’s 1st prompt is "Is it asking too much to be given time?"

If you have any questions about how to participate in this event,
please visit the The rules and Guideline (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80942) thread or PM Karma (http://role-player.net/forum/member.php?u=47486).

Feeling like offering us a prompt?
Do you want to see your idea featured as one of the Month's prompts?
Click here (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80942&p=2769937&viewfull=1#post2769937) to learn more!

ArtisticVicu
09-19-2017, 01:36 AM
The sound of laughter and pleasant conversation filled the afternoon air. The grasses swayed in the gentle spring breeze as the leaves of the surrounding trees danced. The gathering was in full swing even as the sun started to descend on the western horizon. It mattered not, though, for those gathered had begun preparing for such a thing. Lights were being strung, candles lit, and lanterns hung. Fires were prepared for though none lit. The chill of the night had yet to arrive and the sun still provided plenty of light. Still, there was an endless stream of food and an endless stream of hungry guests. Such things would last till the wee hours of the morning when those invited either gave in to getting the children to bed or giving into the fact that work came when the sun rose the following morning, regardless how late one stayed up.

To be perfectly honest, he didn't want to miss a moment of it, but here he was on the outskirts of the party looking on. The person climbing to the top of the hill he sat upon under an old tree was far more important than any even he was missing out on, anyways.

The figure offered a gentle smile when they crested the top of the hill, looking as if the climb had been nothing more than a pleasant walk. He envied them that. He had been winded not even halfway up and he wasn't all that old quite yet.

Ok, that wasn't true, but he still shouldn't be quite so tired all the time. It was infuriating.

"Enjoying the view?" his visitor asked, settling beside him beneath the large tree.

"Quite," he offered, smiling as he brought his pipe to his lips. "I must say that I look forward to the sun setting. The decorating lights will be a splendid sight to see from here."

The figure hummed in agreeance and silence settled between them. It was light, at ease, as the pair watched the party below.

"Why are you not with them?" his visitor asked, their voice holding nothing more than curiosity.

He took a deep pull from his pipe before letting out the breath of smoke as slowly as he could manage. "I would love to but the trek just to get up here has worn me out so."

The figure chuckled. "I can imagine." They looked his way but he vehemently ignored them. Their soft smile grew out of the corner of his eye and he fought the urge to smile himself. "You certainly have gotten on in age despite the adventures you've been on."

"One adventure," he corrected, though the smile slipped free. "One long, grand adventure."

The figure beside him gave a soft laugh but said nothing more on the subject. Together they watched the party crowd ebb and flow, watched as guests came and went and came again. It was strangely like watching a colony of ants, he decided after a while. Though, that may be due to the fact that so many of those coming and going used the roads rather than go willy nilly through the fields like a few of the children were currently doing.

"They look like honeybees," his companion commented, tapping a finger against their leg. "Most in the hive making light of the day while other come and go to collect the food."

He couldn't help the laugh that escaped him. Rather than be offended as he would expect from most, his companion simply watched, waiting to hear what was so funny. Eventually, he calmed down and was able to breathe properly again. "It is rather funny," he started, "how you went to honeybees and my mind went to ants."

The figure beside him blinked before chuckling. They looked back out on the party, voicing, "They certainly do look like ants from here, don't they? May have something to do with your small stature."

He scoffed, though there was no animosity. All in good fun and he knew for certain that his companion was only teasing while also pointing out a known fact by all of the lands. "Yes," he agreed, bringing his pipe back to his lips, "we are quite small."

His good mood diminished some as his mind wandered and, before he knew it, the lanterns were being lit proper and the fires were blazing. He let his head tip back. Sure enough, the sun had set behind him for there were numerous stars visible in the sky above his head.

"What had you so enraptured?" his companion asked, their voice low and gentle on the night breeze. "Nothing bad, I hope?"

"Nothing bad," he assured. "Simply old memories."

"Good ones?"

"Yes." He looked at his pipe. It had long gone cold and the beautifully carved wood had been worn in many a place from his handling of the old thing. "And no. Simply recalling the past recalls remembering the joyous and painful moments together."

His companion hummed and they fell to silence again. And like before, his companion broke it, though this time far sooner than last time. "But that is not what has weighed down your soul, is it?"

His grip convulsed around the pipe and he shifted his hands so that he was cradling the gift. "No, it is not."

"What has you so concerned, friend?" they encouraged, though their voice left it clear he had every right to refuse.

Oh how he wanted to. Oh how he wanted to say it mattered not. But this was the one person he could ask, the one person he could confide in without fearing scorn or hearing lies. With a deep breath, he asked hoarsely, "Is it asking too much to be given time?"

"Of course not," came the instant reply. "Your loved ones understand and they wait patiently for you to join them." He chuckled and his companion gained a knowing smile. "Yes, even that gruff lover of yours. He is being surprisingly patient waiting for you to come home when you are ready."

The stars seemed unusually bright that evening. That or the tears in his eyes were increasing their light for him as he tried not to cry. "And if I want to be selfish and go home?"

The figure's smile turned understanding. "It is not selfish to want to go home or to stay here. But you can't stay on the fence forever."

His companion stood as he rubbed at his eyes. When his vision was clear, his companion was standing before him, hand outreached to him. "If you wish," they offered, "I can take you home now. There is nothing tying you here anymore. Your loved ones will be fine and will understand. But it is your choice. It is your choice till the hourglass empties and then it will be your time to go, no matter what you wish. That was the request you had made."

He smiled sadly, though there was a flicker of amusement in his eye. "And when did that hourglass run dry?"

His companion grinned. "Oh, about the time I started climbing this ridiculous hill. Honestly, couldn't you have chosen your lovely home to end your time in?"

He laughed, taking their hand. It was solid and warm, almost contradictory with who his companion was, but the grip was steady and sure as the figure helped him to his feet. He felt far more nimble than he had in years when they aided him to his feet. A fog rolled in, grey but luminous.

"So," he asked, running his hands over his favorite waistcoat that looked brand new. His hands slowed to trace the embroidery done into the fabric, tucking his pipe in a pocket as he did so. "I had forgotten how beautiful this had been back then."

"A lot is muddled by age and time," his guide spoke, leading him down a not so steep hill. He could not see very far but he trusted his guide to lead him true. "You will find that even love will be as well."

The fog cleared and at once, he felt at home though he not truly recognize the home they were in. But there was the sound of thunderous feet and he was swept up by many. First, his two adoring nephews, followed swiftly by an assortment of friends that had passed before him. The crowd was split by one figure he reached for, called out for, and the moment their hands entangled, he found himself yanked against a broad chest he had nearly forgotten, hands burying themselves in raven locks as he kissed his husband and lover. Much larger and stronger, his husband was able to lift him completely off the ground and support him with ease. The kiss broke, and they touched foreheads, beaming.

"Welcome home," his husband greeted breathlessly.

"I am home," he agreed happily.

And he meant it as he touched foreheads with his sister-in-law, the mother of the nephews that had greeted him first. Soon, though he hoped for not a very long time in the mortal plain, they would be joined by his nephew by blood and his not so little family would be complete. But he could wait. It was not his nephew's time yet and he hoped that his nephew took all the time he could.