PDA

View Full Version : That's What Friends Are For (Caelin Grimm, Hael Shurley & Katrin Edlund)

G
09-20-2017, 08:49 AM
Thursday, September 2nd, 2117
12:15 PM - The Charms Classroom/Grimm's Office

Caelin Grimm smiled at his new students as they filed out of the class, off to their next lesson; waving to those who wished him farewell. His mind was already half on other matters - he was expecting his best friend, Professor Shurley, at any moment. He had good reason for asking her to stop in for tea today of all days; he knew it would be difficult for her. All these new faces... One in particular distracted him as she passed, and he was pulled back to the present.

"Katrin! Come with me for a moment, will you?" Most of the students were off on their way now, and he left the classroom, striding over to the next room along, which housed his office. He opened the door wide, revealing a small, crammed but comfortable looking room. His desk was against the back wall, overlooking the grounds. It was piled high with stacks of parchment, old quills and pots of ink. Bookcases lined the walls, stuffed with an assortment of books - mostly relating to charms-work, of course, but there were a few oddities in the bunch.

A squashy, bright yellow couch took up the opposite wall to the desk, a comfortable armchair beside it and a squat coffee-table with a porcelein tea-set atop it completing the ensemble.

"Come in, come in. It's a bit messy, sorry," he grinned a little sheepishly. "Would you like some tea?" He flicked his wand, and the kettle poured out three cups. "Milk and sugar on the table, if you like it. I hope you don't mind that I didn't pay much attention to you, in class. You did very well, you know! I wouldn't want you copping flak from the other students because I played favourites, though, you understand."

He was more enigmatic than usual, which he seemed to realise after babbling all that, and he took a seat in the armchair, settling a bit. "I get excitable, you know; all the new students! Hael should be here in a minute, then you can get off to your next class. She'd like to meet my new.. what do the Muggles call it, again? Foster daughter." He smiled warmly at his ward, and sipped his tea.

HaelKatrin
09-21-2017, 12:33 AM
Katrin's mind was buzzing with everything she'd learned in just one class. Excitement clear in her eyes as they danced. After several months of watching Grimm practice magic, she finally got to try herself! And, she'd actually managed to do it, too!

She carefully tucks her wand under her left leg as she makes her way out of the classroom. Almost missing Professor Grimm's voice call to her. She turns quickly and grins, following him into the room.

It was quite cluttered. She didn't even seem to notice, pushing her way through, and using her chair to push the arm chair out of the way so her wheelchair could comfortably fit in the room and not block the door.

She laughs as he rambles on, not minding at all. Even after a few months, she hadn't gotten used to it. Someone being that excited to talk to her. "I didn't mind, Professor. There were a few other students in there." She hadn't expected him to only give her attention. She laughs as he tries to use muggle words. "Unless you plan to give me back, no, not foster. Adopted." She said the sentence rather quietly. She still half expected him to think she was too much trouble. But, at the word 'adopted' her face seemed to come alive again. Hopeful.

"Yes please." She takes the offered tea, adding milk and probably way too much sugar. She looks around as she stirs it. The room was just what she would expect from him, she thought with a warm smile. She then looks over at him curiously. "Hael? You mean, Professor Shurley? Odd name. . ." The last more of a thought than a comment. Odd indeed. . .

G
09-22-2017, 04:02 AM
"Yes, Professor Shurley, I should say," he corrected himself. Katrin was a student after all - and obviously one that paid attention to detail, if she'd already learned the first names of her Professors. "Is it an odd name? I don't think so," he hurried on. He had experienced her inquisitive mind already, at home. It was a good trait for a young witch to have; he did not yet realise the trouble it would cause.

"She and I are old friends, very old. We went to school together, though I was in fourth year when she started." He laughed, reminiscing. "Merlin, we used to cause some trouble!" He seemed to remember who he was talking to, then, and back-tracked quickly. "Err, I mean. Well, we were both very good students, of course. No trouble that broke the rules, obviously!" He was clearly trying to look serious and fatherly; it wasn't very convincing.

"Ah, hello Charles!" A tiny, grey and black striped cat had jumped onto the arm of Grimm's chair, rubbing itself against the man's arm and purring as he scratched it's head, between the ears. It gave K-9 an indignant look - despite living together for several months, the two had not quite figured out how to get along. K-9 had learned the hard way that coming too close to the kitten would mean a sharp scratch on the nose, something Charles looked only to happy to do now, if the dog approached.

HaelKatrin
09-22-2017, 04:19 AM
"Come now, Professor. I am quite sure the girl already knows how much trouble you've gotten into. Or, are the tales of her smarts that you've told over exaggerated?" A voice called ahead of the woman it belonged.

Hael steps into the room with a soft chuckle. "It is a pleasure to finally meet you properly, Ms Edlind. I trust you will not break curfew again?"

Katrin smirked at her comment about professor Grimm. "He may have let slip a story or two." She says with a laugh. Then shakes her head insistently. "No, professor. I won't!" Though, honestly, how well she'd keep that promise was yet to be seen.

Hael laughs lightly. "Good." She then enters the room completely, sitting on the couch, and using her wand to prepare herself a cup of tea.

G
09-23-2017, 01:09 AM
Caelin raised an eyebrow, though his smile was warm.

"Hael, how are you?" he asked, regretting the question almost instantly. How do you think she is, idiot, he chided himself, hurrying on. "This is Katrin, as you've obviously surmised. Katrin, Professor Hael. Though it sounds like you've already met. Hang on..." he frowned, the statement Hael had just made clicking into place in his mind.

"What do you mean, break curfew again?

HaelKatrin
09-23-2017, 01:55 AM
Hael takes her tea as it floats over to her. Taking a sip. She met Grimm's eyes when he asked how she was and shook her head. Smirking slightly at the thought that crossed his mind. How do you think she's doing, idiot. It was a rather amusing one. She knew he had meant no harm in the question. Still, it was against his nature to be cruel. Even on accident. Later. The word almost a whisper in his mind. She could read most people's minds easily with Legilimens. But, replying to those thoughts were always a challenge. Caelin was about the only one who could actually hear her. But, of course he could. After all he had gotten her through.

She turns her attention back to the conversation at hand. Just in time for Caelin to catch what she'd said.

Katrin turns pale and begins fidgeting. "Um. . . . . Yes, professor?" She coughs nervously.

Hael chuckles. "Well, my dear Caelin. It seems as if only a few months in your tender care, and she's already taking after you. I found her and a young Hufflepuff completely lost last night. They're lucky I found them!" Hael answered with a chuckle.

Katrin just keeps her mouth shut. Sure she was about to get into trouble.

G
09-27-2017, 01:58 AM
Grimm tried again to look stern, almost managing it this time. Hael's thought manifested in his brain, and nodded almost imperceptibly.

"Right... well, I think you'd better get along to History of Magic, young lady," he said, "and mind you don't get lost on the way!" Unable to help it, he grinned. "Let Professor Bat know I kept you, and that's why you're late. Now, off you go," he said, giving K-9 a scratch on the head in farewell. Charles gave him a very unimpressed look at this.

When Katrin had gone, Grimm's manner became a bit more solemn as he regarded his friend again. "Really though, how are you doing?"

HaelKatrin
09-27-2017, 05:18 AM
Katrin tries her best to look innocent, but completely fails as she grins wide. "I will, professor! Come on, K-9 let's get to the next class!!! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!" She exclaimed as she left the room.

K-9's tail wagged excitedly as Grimm petted her. Growling at Charles, even going so far as nipping playfully at the cat before chasing after Katrin.

Hael laughs lightly as the girl's excited voice fades away. It sounded as if she'd found someone to talk to as she walked to the next class. Still, Hael's laughter wasn't as lighthearted as she wished it to be. No, she held a sadness in it.

She sighs, looking over at Caelin. She doesn't answer immediately, instead taking a long sip of her tea. Staring into the liquid and steam. As if she could hide and disappear into it. As if it could give her all the answers she needed. "She should be among that group, Caelin. She should be there, embarrassed that she was in her mother's class. . . Laughing and making friends." She shakes her head as an unwanted tear escapes. She looks up into her friend's eye. "I do not know, Cael. How am I supposed to continue? How am I not supposed to search for her face in each one? Knowing it will never be there, could never be there."

She looks away from him. Looking out into the empty classroom. She hadn't even noticed as the childhood nickname slipped from her lips.

G
09-28-2017, 11:30 PM
Caelin frowned, knowing there was nothing he could say to assuage his friends' grief. The delight at his young wards' brimming excitement faded quickly into a guilty sorrow, knowing he was the cause of Hael's sadness. The truth that everything he'd done had been to protect her did not help the heavy responsibility he carried.

"I know," he said, offering just the simple acknowledgement that was all he could comfort her with. "It's hard, but you're strong, Hael. The strongest woman I know. I know it's no replacement, but they're all your children, in some ways. Every one of them relies on you, to help them grow, to discover what they can do, who they're going to be.

So you keep going, because you have to." He knew the woman understood what he meant - he had known the day he'd suggested it, her coming to teach at Hogwarts with him, that she would have the same passion for the job as he did. Not to mention, it was the safest place on earth.

HaelKatrin
10-17-2017, 04:39 AM
"it was not your fault, my friend." She said softly, mistaking his guilt to mean that he was feeling guilt for not having arrived in time to save the girl. "You did what you could." Not knowing the deeper truth he hid deep inside.

She sighs to herself, wiping away the stray tears herself. Changing the subject "Katrin Edlund. Strange child. The muggle contraption for one. She seems to have a natural talent." She'd seen a little of the end of the charms class. Saw the girl quickly learn the fire charm. "I was curious of that wand. Pink? I've never seen such a thing!" Here, she heartily laughs. Everything about the girl was just what she loved about teaching magic. The children's wonder.