PDA

View Full Version : (December '17) Prompt #1 - "Let it snow."

.Karma.
12-01-2017, 09:46 PM
December’s 1st prompt is "Let it snow."

If you have any questions about how to participate in this event,
please visit the The rules and Guideline (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80942) thread or PM Karma (http://role-player.net/forum/member.php?u=47486).

Feeling like offering us a prompt?
Do you want to see your idea featured as one of the Month's prompts?
Click here (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80942&p=2769937&viewfull=1#post2769937) to learn more!

ArtisticVicu
12-10-2017, 04:33 AM
Her breath hung in the cold air before her face, distorting her view for the brief moment it took for the cloud of warmed air to rise out of her line of sight. Her chest burned from sucking in the freezing air and even now she couldn't quite get her breath to a normal state as she stared at him, watching him stand there staring at her in turn.

He was so far away.

"Please." The word was beyond her lips without even thinking to speak. But with one word gone, the rest flooded out without restraint. "Don't do this. Don't leave."

"I have to," came the gruff, garbled reply.

She shook her head viciously, the amount of magic in the air growing the longer they stood so far apart. "No you don't." She reached out to him, eyes pleading. "Please. We'll figure this out. You don't have to go."

He didn't respond and this time the tears escaped as well when she shook her head again. "Don't go."

She was met with silence as she focused on his through the blur of tears. He was still staring at her. His jaw moved, a breath of his own curling out both sides of his mouth as she felt the sudden gathering of magic. She took a step forward, reaching for him as her eyes widened and she sucked in air.

"Wisps of fire calm the hearth, gentle breeze bring the cold, and let it snow."

A gust of wind and a flurry of snow slammed into her as she screamed, "Elias!"

"Sister?"

She gasped, jerking upright in some toxic blend of emotions, her head whipping around. Her brain registered she was in her bedroom. Her twin brother had a knee on the edge of the mattress as he leaned towards her hands out stretched but not touching her. She knew that it had been a dream - a memory - but her heart was still pounding and the tears were still streaming.

The magic in the room slowly dissipated at the same rate she started returning to reality.

His hands were calloused from their line of work but his touch was gentle as he finally deemed it alright to touch her. She sagged at his touch and gave into the sobs choking her. He caught her and held her close, waiting it out like he always did and guilt ate at her just as much as the sorrow did.

The hot cup of tea felt nice in her hands but she had yet to take a drink. It was her favorite kind, too. Instead, she watched the steam rise from the cup still too caught up in a long forgotten memory to be able to function properly.

"Do you want to talk about it?" His voice was soft, gentle, encouraging. She looked up, feeling raw. She shook her head no and he nodded, understanding. "Let me know if you need anything."

He made no move to leave his chair at the table, a cup of tea in his own hands, though he was drinking his. She looked down at her cup, berating herself for not doing the same but being unable to muster the energy to lift the mug from her hands.

It was almost like she had slept while staring at the cup because when her brother removed the cold drink from her hands, she felt like she was waking up all over again. This time, though, she simply sat back, looking around and finally taking everything in proper. She caught movement out of the corner of her eye and looked to her brother. He had a smile on his face, their face. "Good morning, Sister. I'm glad you've finally woken up. Would you like a fresh cup and some food? I was thinking pancakes."

She loved his pancakes and felt a little coerced into the decision but she couldn't say no to that. "Yes please," she responded instead.

Business as usual as soon as breakfast was over. They had the wayward guests like they normally did and they tended to them as they normally would. She returned to being her normal, snarky self, that is, till there was a visitor at the door she never expected to see.

The door opened and before she could even give the customary greeting, her eyes met the eyes of someone oh so familiar. "Oh, no," she snapped, rage suddenly filling her out of nowhere. "No. You have no right coming to me looking for services after what you did to me. No. Go find another magical surgeon. This office is closed."

"Please." She froze, door nearly closed as an unfamiliar yet so familiar voice rushed through the crack. "I can't....I can't lose her Destiny. Not like this. Not after everything I've learned and she's gone through. Please. I can't do this on my own."

She jerked back, hand pressed to her chest. She blinked, finding that it had been her twin to cover her hand on the doorknob. He gave her a gentle smile before opening the door fully. "We know, Elias," he soothed. "Give my sister a moment. I'll show you where you can put her down."

Her eyes finally landed on the body their guest was carrying. She glared at her brother and he shrugged.

"Are you sure about this?" she questioned one last time.

"Yes," he responded with the same surety as the other times she had asked.

She sighed, catching sight of her brother tending to the girl laying in the middle of the chalked circle. "Fully aware of all the consequences?"

"Yes." He sounded resigned on the matter.

He didn't expect to come out of this alive. She let out a sigh, unable to not wish for his safe passage through the ritual as well. "Fine. Get into position. We'll see just how much you've changed."

"Thank you."

She glanced back but he was already moving. Strange. It almost sounded like he truly felt relief and gratitude for her actions. But that wasn't possible.

Was it?