PDA

View Full Version : A Friendly Desert Community [Closed 1x1]

LMM
07-20-2018, 01:38 AM
https://beentherereadthatdotblog.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/night-vale-killer-facebook-covers.jpg?w=607&h=225
IC HERE (https://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=91844)
A friendly desert community where the sun is hot,
the moon is beautiful,
and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep.
Welcome to Night Vale.

A small desert community, where anything is possible, yet most things aren't probable.
A normal small town, with a public radio station that brings us all, local weather, news, announcements from the Sheriff's Secret Police, mysterious lights in the night sky, dark hooded figures with unknowable powers, and cultural events.
A typical town, that's right.
Until the strangers arrived. They claim they are scientists, but we have all been scientists at one point or another in our lives.
Even with this strange and fascinating event the City Council would like to remind everyone about the opening of the new dog park at the corner of Earl and Somerset, near the Ralph’s. They would like to remind everyone that dogs are not allowed in the Dog Park. People are not allowed in the Dog Park.

It is possible you will see Hooded Figures in the Dog Park.

Do not approach them. Do not approach the Dog Park.
The Dog Park will not harm you.
And now, the weather.
https://static.tumblr.com/44968fe40e27b3edf95d295ed00ba33c/4wjkxfj/Vvin2g8g6/tumblr_static_wtnv_eye_logo_small.gif

A 1x1 Roleplay between LMM and ZanepLLodes , based on the Podcast by Welcome to Night Vale Presents called Welcome to Night Vale. Basic plot for now -- starting in episode 1 with Carlos's Scientists arriving. We will see where it goes from there. Here we can chat about ideas and keep plans and such. I only added up to the dog park above because I'm not sure what exactly we are taking from cannon and when we are branching away! haha :)

https://festivalreviewsdotorg.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/aidanturner.jpg

A Scientist accompanying Carlos, investigating phenomenon in the Night Vale area. Not quite middle-aged, 'Lyle' has been studying extreme weather for the last 6 years. He joins the team in Night Vale after hearing the impassioned speeches Carlos has given about it being the most 'scientifically interesting' place around. The initial data given to back that statement hooked him, what with the
weather being described through literal song and colors, instead of wind speeds and temperature readings.

Lyle is fairly boisterous when not in the field. Often seen napping in public spaces, he's often described as an upper-class bum. He has a seemingly never ending supply of lemon-scented moist towelettes on hand at all times, and a penchant for using items with absolutely no use in measuring weather statistics to gather data on weather (and it's statistics).

He's fallen out of contact with his family (Mother, Father, Step-Father, Step-Father, Step-Mother, Sister, and Dog), though talks about them with warmth and concern when conversations steer that direction. His academic knowledge is sound and not quite vast, but he refuses to use scientific terms outside of a classroom, library, or lecture hall (and for good reason, though none of his colleagues have been able to get that reason out of him, yet). He leaves music playing and lights on when he leaves 'home', as he hates walking into empty rooms. Food tends to not sit well with him, and so he eats only simple, and almost bland meals.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/20/ca/ed/20caedb2c91ed6c4e6702b8ccd19e7d9--tomboy-fashion-androgynous-fashion.jpg

https://s15.postimg.cc/4t4yb1mzf/Speck_1.pngBecause I just adopted him and he's cute and I don't know what else to use him for? haha
Rosalin "Red" Powell (They/them, She/Her), a Night Vale citizen since birth. Whenever was that? A while ago, they're sure -- at least 30 years? Her original goal like that most of the young Night Valian's was to become a radio intern -- to become the next voice of Night Vale. Red quickly withdrew that goal, when she began to hear exactly what happened to them. "Who would actually do that willingly? Honestly?"

After that, she spent her time looking into other occupations -- attending Night Vale Community College for chemistry. It was rather hard since teaching and learning are illegal. She ended up not doing anything with her degree. Though does a few graveyard shifts at the Moonlite All-Nite Diner. This keeps her and her pet Speck in relative comfort and allows her to focus on her other desires.

Red spends her time outside of work with her pet Speck. When asked what he is she replies he's a good boy. She can't remember a time without him? She assumes he's just always been here? His good demeanor makes him a great pet to take around town with her, and the citizens of Night Vale seem to enjoy him. His sticky saliva is something Red has been trying to find a use for, besides the occasional arts and crafts project.

Besides Speck, Red's parent's still live in Night Vale, Rosa, and Jacob Powell. Though they seem to keep to themselves on the edge of town. Red also spends a fair amount of time visiting Old Woman Josie and her "definitely not angels" friends, usually helping fix things using Speck when necessary.

Red has really grown to love and know Night Vale, believing wholeheartedly in the City Council and Sherrif's Secret Police -- though the world government sometimes seems sketchy. She tends to keep to herself, though she has found herself trying to get closer to these so-called scientists. She does have a background in chemistry after all so if there's science stuff going on she should be involved (at least if you ask her).

ZanepL Lodes
07-20-2018, 11:12 AM
https://festivalreviewsdotorg.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/aidanturner.jpg

A Scientist accompanying Carlos, investigating phenomenon in the Night Vale area. Not quite middle-aged, 'Lyle' has been studying extreme weather for the last 6 years. He joins the team in Night Vale after hearing the impassioned speeches Carlos has given about it being the most 'scientifically interesting' place around. The initial data given to back that statement hooked him, what with the
weather being described through literal song and colors, instead of wind speeds and temperature readings.

Lyle is fairly boisterous when not in the field. Often seen napping in public spaces, he's often described as an upper-class bum. He has a seemingly never ending supply of lemon-scented moist towelettes on hand at all times, and a penchant for using items with absolutely no use in measuring weather statistics to gather data on weather (and it's statistics).

He's fallen out of contact with his family (Mother, Father, Step-Father, Step-Father, Step-Mother, Sister, and Dog), though talks about them with warmth and concern when conversations steer that direction. His academic knowledge is sound and not quite vast, but he refuses to use scientific terms outside of a classroom, library, or lecture hall (and for good reason, though none of his colleagues have been able to get that reason out of him, yet). He leaves music playing and lights on when he leaves 'home', as he hates walking into empty rooms. Food tends to not sit well with him, and so he eats only simple, and almost bland meals.

Alright, what do you think? What should I add, or tweak?

LMM
07-20-2018, 06:05 PM
I like him! :) I'm working on my person now! :)

EDIT:

Here they are.....They're kind of rough so I may have to change stuff on them. (I gave them a basic science background so they have an excuse to meet xP haha)

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/20/ca/ed/20caedb2c91ed6c4e6702b8ccd19e7d9--tomboy-fashion-androgynous-fashion.jpg
As with most things in Nightvale the typical becomes the fantastical. Red is genderfluid and in Nightvale that means literally waking up as a man or women or neither depending on the day. Most often Red appears as above in an androgynous state and will go by any pronouns (she/her, They/Them, He/Him, or any other set of genderless pronouns). One days when Red wakes as a femme being they look like the image below in the spoiler "More Feminine Days," and go by She/her and They/them pronouns. On masculine days, their appearance is more masculine and hidden under, "More Masculine Days," below. On those days they prefer he/him or they/them pronouns. However, as long as you aren't intentionally being rude Red is usually okay with any pronouns on any given day.
https://cdns.klimg.com/newshub.id/photonews/2015/01/16/77908/andrej-pejic-model-pria-tercantik-di-dunia-150116s-001-rev1.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/7e/38/3d/7e383dd12106337d650ee12d8737de66--tomboy-hair-androgynous-hair.jpg

https://s15.postimg.cc/4t4yb1mzf/Speck_1.pngBecause I just adopted him and he's cute and I don't know what else to use him for? haha
Rosalin "Red" Powell (They/them, She/Her), a Night Vale citizen since birth. Whenever was that? A while ago, they're sure -- at least 30 years? Her original goal like that most of the young Night Valian's was to become a radio intern -- to become the next voice of Night Vale. Red quickly withdrew that goal, when she began to hear exactly what happened to them. "Who would actually do that willingly? Honestly?"

After that, she spent her time looking into other occupations -- attending Night Vale Community College for chemistry. It was rather hard since teaching and learning are illegal. She ended up not doing anything with her degree. Though does a few graveyard shifts at the Moonlite All-Nite Diner. This keeps her and her pet Speck in relative comfort and allows her to focus on her other desires.

Red spends her time outside of work with her pet Speck. When asked what he is she replies he's a good boy. She can't remember a time without him? She assumes he's just always been here? His good demeanor makes him a great pet to take around town with her, and the citizens of Night Vale seem to enjoy him. His sticky saliva is something Red has been trying to find a use for, besides the occasional arts and crafts project.

Besides Speck, Red's parent's still live in Night Vale, Rosa, and Jacob Powell. Though they seem to keep to themselves on the edge of town. Red also spends a fair amount of time visiting Old Woman Josie and her "definitely not angels" friends, usually helping fix things using Speck when necessary.

Red has really grown to love and know Night Vale, believing wholeheartedly in the City Council and Sherrif's Secret Police -- though the world government sometimes seems sketchy. She tends to keep to herself, though she has found herself trying to get closer to these so-called scientists. She does have a background in chemistry after all so if there's science stuff going on she should be involved (at least if you ask her).

ZanepL Lodes
07-20-2018, 07:45 PM
I think rough is a great way to start this off, though. We learned gradual, almost random things episode by episode, so unfolding the details of these characters through play is exactly right for our subject matter. I was planning on starting 'Lyle off with the actual (vague, weird, quickly forgotten/suppressed) trip into town, and a brief tour of some of the earliest mentioned spots. Already had it in my head he'd be arriving at sunset, catching a part of the radio show, and spending the first part of the night seeing some of the town.... Not hard to see how they could run into each other with that line.

Let me know if that sounds like a worthy start.

LMM
07-21-2018, 02:30 AM
That sounds good to me! We can either run into each other or you could come to the diner and Red can be working :)

ZanepL Lodes
07-21-2018, 04:18 AM
"The future is here. And it is about 100' above the Arby's.

Carlos, and his scientists, at the monitoring station near Route 800..." The radio finally caught Carlyle's attention. For the last few dozen miles, it had only offered a mostly quiet hiss of dead air, with the occasional pop of static to remind him it was still on. This sudden outburst of sonorous speech, while jarring enough in it's own right, really grabbed his attention with it's name-drop of his defacto boss.

"Not even in town for 24 hours and Carlos is on the radio... Man could lead a cult if he wasn't so focused on Science." Carlyle offered to the radio, not expecting to receive an actual conversation.

"I don't know about you folks, but the ground has been as still as the crust of a tiny globe rocketing through the endless void could be" the radio offered back, not expecting to fit into his new listener's uninvited attempt at conversation.

"'s'all right, there, buddy. You could be a cult leader too, with a voice like that." Carlyle realized he was drifting off into the shoulder. Then he realized it was the opposite shoulder. Then he realized this was bad. Jerking harder at the wheel than he intended, he caused his car to fishtail off the pavement onto the cracked earthen surface of the desert plain surrounding him. A few expletives and some shaky breathes later, and he was back on the pavement, trying to focus on the road that seemed intent on being unobserved.

The radio was giving a traffic update, one that caused more than a few short circuits somewhere in the back of his mind, but was ultimately unable to impress its uniqueness on him through the adrenaline just now starting to drain from his system. Something about not following the lights, but also following other lights?

"And now, the Weather:" he heard, as unrefined lyrics started pouring through his speakers. The words were a bit... off. Not in an unpleasant way, just not what you'd expect on a small town radio station. And somehow, these words resonated deeply with him, almost seeming to command the hazy mirage on the horizon into a swaying, hypnotic dance on the horizon. The fading light seemed to play up the unnatural effect before him, as colors he was sure he'd not ever seen before coalesced into a haunting, drab, shape at the far end of his vision. "Must be the town up ahead," he assured himself, and by unwilling association, the radio.

Almost as if summoned, a badly faded sign appeared to his right: Night Vale 20. "Well, guess I'm all but 'home', now..."

The radio broadcast had taken some odd turns, but Carlyle had mostly tuned it out as the town became more defined. He'd driven down the dead center of town, catching sight of almost corny caricatures of small town 50's shops and buildings. There were a bunch of figures on the street, some bundled up to an odd degree for such a hot summer night. He dismissed it as some form of social event, probably school spirit related, and looked for the store Carlos had described to him.
Big Rico's, seemingly Night Vale's favorite food joint (based solely off the fact that he'd not seen another yet, and there were actual customers inside), was just a bit a ways from the Lab. The Lab which was apparently already abandoned for the night. "That's what you get for being late, 'Lyle. Guess there's no rush..." he mused, deciding with complete conviction to not enter his workspace alone. He saw people leaving the pizza joint, and his stomach clenched a bit at the thought of greasy meat, cheese, and grease. Pulling back onto the main street, he started looking for something open this late.

Jeeze, it's already 10. I'm going to starve, I bet. Again, almost in response to his musings, he caught sight of a huge, purple and white sign over a tacky diner. The Moonlite All Night Diner, it proclaimed, easing his stomach's apprehension. Pulling in and getting out, he couldn't help but notice the hot dry air was dead. Not a hint of wind. Which coincided with the odd phenomenon of a scrap of paper slapping against his leg, as if riding on a breeze that should be there. ALERT CITIZEN CARD was emblazoned on the top, and had 3 holes punched into it. "Not all that alert after all, it seems" he muttered, absently holding it between two fingers and tapping it on his other hand's wrist. Lyle then entered the Diner, and seeing it just about empty, took a booth in a back corner, back to the wall, and pulled out a moist towelette. His first piece of Night Vale culture lay forgotten on the edge of the table as he methodically wiped his hands and began looking for a waiter, menu, or something other than his own thoughts.

LMM
07-21-2018, 02:05 PM
hahaha hey man it works you were just excited ;) haha

ZanepL Lodes
07-21-2018, 09:30 PM
If you couldn't tell, I've been trying to add a touch of the weirdness presented in the radio show to how he's experiencing things here. If that gets tedious or anything, let me know and I'll tone it down.

LMM
07-24-2018, 12:23 AM
http://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/night-vale-large.jpg

There's no hotel though xP

LMM
10-07-2018, 01:32 PM
@ZanepL Lodes,
I updated Red's bio with a description of genderfluid in Nightvale as well as images of what they look like depending on the day!~<3

LMM
12-22-2018, 02:02 PM
I know we've fallen out of posting in this but I just listened to the newest episode: "A Blood Stone Carol," and I wanted to do a blurb about Red teaching Carlyle about the holiday and having him over for the feast! :)

An ornately written card. The words, “You’re Invited,” scrawled across it in a script both elegant and yet somehow almost illegible. The only way to tell exactly who sent this was the purple drool that was stained on the edges. This drool was the reason it stuck so perfectly to the mail slot and why it took more than just a simple tug to get it free. The back of the card held only a minimal amount more information. “December 25. My house, bring a side dish. Love, Red.” There wasn’t any other information. A typical Blood Stone Holiday invitation. As the day rolled around the town was abuzz with the typical holiday errands. Purchasing the items for the feast, acquiring the traditional headwear, and even purchasing gifts for friends and family. Oh what a joyous time of year.

Carlyle made his way to Red’s house, on the morning of December 25. He hoped he wasn’t too early, but as he came up on her small dwelling he realized she had already been up for a while. Twinkling lights in the shape of blood stones adorned her home, the inside brightly lit and through the window you could see Speck and Red rushing about finishing last minute things. At least this seemed like a pretty normal holiday so far. Red threw open the door as Carlyle got near, “Happy Blood Stone Holiday!” She said in a sing song-ish tone. Today was a more feminine day for her, her long hair and makeup screamed that. She grabbed his arm pulling him inside. “Since this year is your first Blood Stone Holiday I wanted to make it special!” She said taking his Tupperware of a side dish and putting it in the kitchen. The inside of the house was covered in those same lights, as well as an abundance of small blood stones scattered about in almost random places. Other than that it looked like the house of any other person.

“We’ll start with listening to Cecil’s Blood Stone Carol, OH! You’ll love it, such a great story! Then we’ll do the sacrificial dancing around my outdoor blood stone, and then we can do gifts and dinner!” She says happily. It was strange, Red wasn’t normally quite this excited about things, but the holidays do that to some people. A radio in the corner suddenly grumbled to life. It didn’t look like it had any power, or that it should in any way work – however, the sweet sound of the voice of Night Vale began to fill the room. “OH! He’s starting, come on lets sit,” she says pulling him closer to the radio. “Do you want anything to drink? Milk, water, Blood….Stone punch?” She asks. As Cecil began the story Speck wandered into the room and whimpered. Red looked over to see him covered in blood. “AH! Speck you’re right the hats! Carlyle you’ll love this I had Speck get us new hats!” Speck dropped two bloody, fresh, and slightly sticky animal skulls with some fur still attached into Red’s hands. She put one on and handed the other to Carlyle. “This pleases the Blood Stone, so make sure to wear it proudly!”

Once the carol was done Red gathered some lights and led Carlyle out to the backyard. An extremely large Blood Stone was towering there. “This is my holiday Blood Stone, I think it got bigger this year, last year I could get it through the door……” She explains as she covers it in more lights. With that she began to dance and chant around the object, and as she danced it began to glow – not from the twinkling lights on it but from within. As if her chanting and worship was giving it some sort of ancient power. It was. This went on for some time, and finally exhausted and smiling Red walked over to Carlyle.

“Okay, the Blood Stone is pleased, we can go back inside now.” She leads him back inside, a bit more calm now after all the exercise. “Did you know I invited Old Woman Josie,” she says as she begins to dig out a present from a stack in the corner. “But her angels,” a siren in the distance, a sign from Red, “Her definitely not angels, said they were doing some made up holiday called Crisis, or Crystler….something like that. I was afraid that was going to anger the blood stone, but it doesn’t seem to care….Ah, here it is!” She pulled out a flat package. On top in the same elegant, but not very legible writing was the name Carlyle. “I hope you like it.” Inside was a sweater, with a large spider on the front is such hyper realism that you had to touch it to make sure it wasn’t going to move. “I know you stayed at the Tarantula Motel when you first moved here! So I thought you would like this, it’s made from all natural stuff. I don’t know what, the spiders made it, but they said it’s all natural.”

Finally, the feast. Red’s kitchen was full of food. Strange things, some that appeared to be dripping with blood, others dripping with things that seemed more alarming. Some stuff that seemed almost too mundane like a plate of toast – even though wheat and wheat by products were banned. A box of Big Rico’s Pizza, because no one does a slice like Big Rico…No one, sat on the table. The main dish appeared to be something akin to a ham, but it wasn’t something Carlyle had seen before. All of the food here was enough to make a strong stomached man queasy, and yet Carlyle was not that. The thought of all this food wasn’t sitting well with him. One look at him and Red knew this, she remembered he had said he had a weak stomach. She moved through the trays and containers and pulled out a plate that appeared to be empty. “Or we can just eat this? My mom’s recipe, my favorite holiday food – invisible pie!”