PDA

View Full Version : [R/M] Valkyries: Occult Warfare I - The Big Sky Scare

StormWolf
12-18-2018, 06:32 AM
This RP is rated R/M for: Violence, Gore, Horror, Occult and Satanic references, Language, Sexual Situations, Nudity, Racial Terminology, and all things that fall therein

OOC (https://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=92652&p=3013980#post3013980)

https://roadslesstraveled.us/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/02-751-Fog-Southwest-Harbor-Maine.jpg

It is always darkest and coldest just before dawn, and through that darkness and that gnawing cold, Connor ran. So far north, the weather was as much a challenge as the terrain. Solomon Island as more wilderness than not, with King's Harbor on the eastern shore, Rook’s Harbor on the north, and private property scattered throughout the rest. Thick Atlantic fog drew over the island like a frigid blanket. Connor charged through the fog, breathing heavy, but steady. A backpack strapped tight and heavily weighted to simulate the burden of his duty-gear. Despite the weather, Connor’s skin glistened with sweat as he made the return trek of his five mile trek. Connor knew that habit was dangerous, a ritual in its own right, but the crisp and clean air did Connor good… and the Coffee Cauldron was open by the time he made it back to King's Harbor. Their dark roast was good enough to kill for and strong enough to float an egg.

Connor trotted to a stop on rocky overlook, gulping down the salty Maine air as he saw the lights of King’s Harbor wink on, one by one. His breath came out as a thin mist, mingling with the twisting tendrils of the ocean, the rising sun casting a blood-red nimbus over the silk-veil clouds below. Grandmother Watching Bear always said such a sunrise was a bad omen, but in Connor’s line of work, every morning looked the same. He snatched his Condor cap off his head, shaking out his cropped mane of brown-blond hair to cool before putting his hat back in place. A shrill shriek tore through the silent dawn on the Blue Mountain. Connor’s gaze sharply snapped to the source, his right hand snapping to the small of his back, the squat grip of his glock nestling into his calloused palm. A pale barn owl leered down at Connor, darkly appraising him with eyes that flared like embers in the burgeoning light of the dawn. Another of Grandma Watching Bear’s omens. Releasing the textured grip of his pistol, Connor pursed his lips, sucking his teeth at the unblinking creature. It shrieked solemnly, and with the whisper of wings on the wind, the ghostly creature took flight, vanishing into the woolen blanket covering the harbor town, only the steeple of the old colonial chapel piercing the roiling marine layer. Connor let out a breath he didn’t know he was holding, passing his lips in a fog that dragged the warmth from his lips as it dissipated. Standing still, even for the brief moment on the bald, boulder-strewn outlook, the Maine chill gnawed at the exposed flesh of his fingers, calves, neck, and face. Sweat dragged the warmth from him, leaving pinprick motes of frigid cold behind his numbing ears. Puffing into the cup of his hands, Connor resumed his jog, descending the jagged slope with sure and swift footing.

By the time Connor was back in town, the fog had burned off as much as it would bother, the glaring white ball of the sun blooming in a prismatic display while casting long shadows along Solomon Road as it lead into town. Following the road into Castle Avenue, Connor hung right when he came to Howard Road. Considered one of the more historical stretches of King’s Harbor, it was protected from any possible McDonalds or Starbucks incursions. Though, it was a small town on an island that was mostly wilderness, so they had been spared so far. Cauldron Coffee’s sign was old fashioned, hand-carved and hand-painted wood, heavily lacquered against the gnawing of sea air and gently squeaking on rusted hinges. The sign, a cauldron with a happy black cat in a witch’s hat lounging in a bubbling dark roast, was so overt that it was covert. Like a few businesses on the island, the owners were from the preternatural community. He strode through the threshold, the painted-glass door decorated with stenciled spiders and ghosts of a cartoonish suggestion. A silvery bell jingled overhead. So early, the only other patron was their mascot, a sleek black cat who, upon seeing a familiar face, came up Connor and leaned into his shin with its shoulder.

“Mornin’ to you too, Lily,” said Connor, his tone husky with a faint Kentucky drawl. He leaned down to scratch the lithe tuxedo behind the ears. As if summoned by the bell, a woman of middling age - though possessing something of an ageless quality - with autumn-red hair and brilliant green eyes burst through the storeroom door.

“Ach! If it isn’t dashing Ranger Rick! Welcome, m’boy! The usual brew?” She had an unmistakable Edinburgh tilt to her smokey songbird voice, feathery lashes batting. Connor rose, smiling in his lopsided way.

“Hello, Rowina,” Connor greeted in kind, saddling up to the teller’s counter, complete with an olde fashioned register and hammered copper espresso artifices that one would expect to find in a ritzy hotel. As always, the Cauldron smelled like fresh-ground arabica and nutmeg, with the faintest hint of lavender, sage, and myrrh beneath.

“You know me so well. Please and thank you, ma’am,” Connor said, fishing a few rumpled bills from his wallet. His phone buzzed, deafeningly loud in the homey cafe. Drawing it out from his hoodie pocket, he saw the caller ID flash across the screen.

Tuskface. Clicking his tongue, Connor swept right to answer, placing the cold screen to his ear.

“What is it, Claude?” Connor said, voice and tone like an anvil.

“Good morning to you as well, Connor, “ said Claude in his velvety, deliberate baritone. A voice like molasses, that one. “Right to it, then. Mister Sullivan received an alarming communique first thing this morning. Straight from O-5. He’s called for all hands on deck.” Connor pinched his nose at the news. O-5 was shorthand for the uppity-ups of the Division’s higher echelons, typically those with unimpeded access to… everything. Whenever an order trickled down directly from them, it was never a good sign. Dire-goddamn-omens, indeed.

“I’ll be there in 10. Make sure Nate has his breakfast.” Connor said.

“I’m the OPSAT director for the world’s premier supernat-”

“You’re a secretary with a particular set of skills, Claude. Make him his goddamn scrambled eggs or I’ll scramble yours.”

There was a long pause.

“Salt and pepper?” Claude asked, his voice considerably softer.

“Please and thank you. See you soon,” Connor replied, then hung up. “Rowina, I’m gonna need about three catering cartons of the good stuff and one of your hot chocolate.”

“Oh! Of course, darlin’. Company meetin’?” Rowina cooed from the steam-belching machines.

“Yeah, that’s a word for it.”

Half a mile later, down King’s Court and across King’s Bridge to the north, Connor came to a stop before the military-grade gate that marked the outermost perimeter of the Avalon National Park’s administrative buildings. A young man with dark hair sat at the gatehouse, bundled in layers and sipping a steaming cup. Seeing Connor approach, he stepped out from the little concrete hut. Those who knew what to look for could see it in the way the young man stood: he wasn’t any park ranger.

“Security checkpoint, sir. Your credentials, please.” Connor, who had four cardboard jugs of piping hot breakfast beverage braced against his chin, shot a baleful glance at the man.

“You new here? Just open the gate, I’m late for a meeting,” Connor said gruffly, and the young fellow crossed his arms. Rolling his eyes, Connor rummaged in his pocket, pulling out his fist and flashing the finger to the shining crown of the Beacon Lighthouse.

“Is that supposed to be funny?” The guard asked, unamused, but his head turned to the voice in his ear. “What? You serious? Oh… y-yes, ma’am.” The guard returned to the gatehouse, and with a buzz, the razor-crowned gate slowly slid open. Connor smirked. He only knew one person who could so swiftly make a man’s spine slip out his ass.

“Thanks, mom,” Connor shouted in passing, tossing a lazy salute to the lighthouse as he stepped through the opening gate. “Have a good one, Steve,” he called over his shoulder to the gatehouse.

Ascending the gradual hill, Connor passed the familiar alpine lodgings that formed a semi-circle around the large circular courtyard, their MH-60R Seahawk parked neatly atop the spray-painted “H” neatly in the middle. Even if the rotors were running, there was more than enough room for people to drive and park their various duty vehicles. The occasional duty officer waved or nodded to Connor, all of them in their park ranger guise, just like Steve. Cutting directly to the main house and the great stone tower overlooking the sea, Connor saw the sardonic grin and golden hair of Sigrid waiting on the porch, cradling her Saber sniper rifle like a baby, her coffee tin dangling on one nimble finger.

“Mom?” She asked with a crooking eyebrow. Connor shrugged with a grin,

“I call it how I see it. Stop nagging me about my veggies and we can talk about a different nickname.” Connor ascended the wooden stairs, Sigrid opening the front door for him.

“Maybe once you eat your vegetables like a grown man, instead of a gun-toting baby.” Sigrid retorted.

“Listen here, you yankees steam everything, and it’s offense to everything good and natural.”

“And frying is so much better?” Sigrid tilted her head, talking and walking alongside Connor as they entered the lighthouse proper. Stepping into the metal cage of the elevator, Sigrid entered the code. Lurching faintly, the concrete beneath them slid away with a low rumble, and the elevator descended down into the heart of the Beacon complex.

“It is, but we’ll agree to disagree. Any word on the O-5 call?” Connor asked, looking sidelong to the valkyrie. Pursing her lips, her fingers drummed on the stock of her rifle.

“Not much. Sully was still getting the details when I hopped up to the nest. All I know is it has to do with another Division task force.” Sigrid’s cavalier way to discussing business details was as admirable as it was terrifying. Then again, she’d been in the fight since before the United States was a thing. Still, being called in about another task force was never a good sign.

“Well… double-fuck…” Connor sighed.

“Quite so, and swear jar.” Sigrid said with a wink as the elevator lurched to a stop. The grate opened in time with a steel blast door befitting a presidential bunker, revealing a utilitarian, yet oddly homey intersection of halls.

“You’re fuckin’ joking, right?” Connor said with a chuckle, but Sigrid already stepped out and hung right, vanishing around a corner.

“Swear jar!” Sigrid called, and Connor pursed his lips into as tight a line as they could go. Connor would bet that Claude narced to Sigrid. The orc might be too big for a trash can or a locker, but a dumpster would fit him just fine. With a sigh, Connor exited the lift and followed after Sigrid, weaving through the labyrinth of corridors, smiling at the occasional chalk drawing their protectorate members were wont to draw. It was stringently against regulation, but few among their ranks were brave enough to invoke the ire of the Valkyries en masse. Besides, Doctor Millar’s psyche evaluations insisted that the carefree chalk-graffiti was good for morale. To the left side of the wide corridor, the wall beveled in to a pair of old and heavy oaken doors, opened wide to show a conference room. Rectangular in shape, and relatively large, the back wall was lined with empty tables, already holding donuts, bagels, bacon, and scrambled eggs. Another table, baroque in make and hewn of mahogany, sat neatly in the middle, the winged-sword emblem of the Valkyries inset in white ash. Smirking at that table, Connor moved to the back and set down the thermoses of coffee and cocoa. His cup was already waiting; an enameled metal mug with the words “Probably Whiskey” stenciled on one side, “World’s Okayest Boss Dad” on the other, corrected with permanent marker by one member of their group, though Connor had no idea who, to this day. Connor filled his mug, piled a plate of protein and cholesterol, and found his seat. He brushed his hand soberly over the scored wood. It was custom for every member of the Valkyries to make their mark, and Connor found his; a simple C+A, something he had tacked on when he made it through Division preliminaries.

Connor shrugged out of his backpack, stretching and rolling his thick neck atop his shoulders as the Valkyries filed in. The last to enter was Henry Sullivan, the pursed pensiveness of his brow spreading to his forehead as he glared down at the tablet in his hands over a pair of spectacles. He already nursed a cup of coffee, and he had a bushel of rolled papers under one arm. They smelled of fresh printer ink. He looked haggard and bedraggled, and much like Connor, wasn’t really dressed for a proper briefing. Henry was in matching pajamas and robe, proudly wearing his East Texas University Alumni tee underneath.

“Mornin’ Henry,” Connor said over the rim of his mug, to which Henry scoffed.

“If only it was, Hoss. It’s been a shit sandwich since before the sun came up.” Henry mumbled, dumping the bundle of scrolls and papers haphazardly, without taking his eyes from the tablet. Connor paused, looking to Sigrid, who had helped herself to coffee and had taken her own seat.

“No swear jar for him?”

“He outranks me... and pays my salary,” Sigrid smirked in that way she did, cat-like and all dimples.

“Okay, that’s fair…” Connor muttered into his mug, sucking down a hefty chug of the brew.

“Hoss,” Henry called, and Connor looked his way. So far as Connor knew, Henry only called him that. “Open up a couple more chairs. The hellions are joining us for this one.” Connor stopped mid-bite, quirking an eyebrow to Henry as if he started speaking in Tongues.

“Fuckin’ run that by me again?” Connor leaned forward in his seat.

“Swear ja-”

“Eat me, Tinkerbell. Henry, you have a stroke or somethin’? They can’t even drive. Hell, they don’t even have all their grown-up hair yet!” Connor spat, a shower of half-chewed egg flying across the table. Henry sighed, leaning back in his chair and slowly removing his spectacles. Knobby fingers, broken too many times, rubbed his grey eyes and pinched his nose.

“I know, Hoss, but this is from the top. O-5 called for them by name. I’ve already sent Claude to fetch them from their rooms.” Henry leaned his elbows on the table, steepling his fingers beneath his chin as he met Connor’s eyes. He truly looked… sorry.

“When we get everyone mustered, I’ll brief y’all quick and that’ll be it. This is the hand we’re dealt, Hoss. I’m sorry…” Henry lowered his eyes, and resumed to the work on his tablet. Grinding his teeth, Connor scrubbed his face and sat back.

This was turning into a “Probably Whiskey” morning.

SikstaSlathalin
12-18-2018, 09:31 AM
As the first rays of dawn came over the horizon a sound similar to the scream of an enraged beast ripped through the dewy forests on the far side of Solomon Island sending scores of birds up in a panic and forcing any animal still sleeping to jump to full wakefulness before darting off in every direction of the compass. The all consuming silence that followed was only just coming back when the distinct sound of a sliding bolt clicking back and a large smoking bullet ejecting from the chamber and tumbling down a slope of rocks. Next a voice followed.
"Well ye killed the fuck outta that buoy there Jedi Master." A dark haired man (https://i.imgur.com/rzB98Vb.jpg) said from a small ledge powerful binoculars held up to his face and a sound dampening com set atop his head. "Aye nigh a mile an' alf miles out, thing is fuckin' blown tae bits." He let out a low whistle and scratched the numbers down. "Nearly a new record, and great readin's fer the new rifle rounds."

Below him a man laying atop a green cloak with only a pair of boots and a green kilt between his glowing body and the cold sea air. He chuckled in agreement. "Ay Duncan, Alura said we'd have fun with them. Ye sure ye dinnae want a go?" Duncan laughed shaking his head quickly. "Nae a snowball's chance in a ditch digger's arse. Ye keep yer cowardly bullets and guns, I much prefer gettin'." He flicked his wrist a slender blade snaking out from his gauntlet. "Up close' an personal. We got twa' left tae check Forcebreaker. A UV round, no physical damage, but able tae make nasty crawlies explode in purple flames and leave nae trace behind tae track back. And the exact opposite, the Science pukes call it a miniature nuke or some such shite. I swear tae fuck these prototypes are gonna give us cancer or somethin'. Dealer's choice killer." He chuckled loading both rounds in a small basket attached to a zipline before pushing it down to the tattooed man's level.

Resting his rifle on the wood pile he was using for cover and rolled to his back groaning softly as he took the basket and inspected both rounds. The UV one sounded useful, but if there's one thing F.B. learned from being around Alura is that explosions are always better so he loaded the Mini nuke and set his sights high. "Let's give the fish cancer first aye?" Both men chuckled and settled into their positions. Duncan grabbed his binoculars and checked his equipment. The wind usually works against them in the morning, but morning was the only time they could go to the unofficial extend gun range of the island. For years it's been nothing but open dead sea off this point, the Division has pretty much quarantined Solomon Island off for like 50 nautical miles in every direction and the supply ships never come around in the morning. So for a few hourse you can be out here and shoot old buoys or derelict ships for practice, currently the long distance record is held by some scarecrow looking guy with red glasses and a long trench coat from one of the Division's global allies. Roughly two miles out, but F.B. knew he could break it. His current gun wouldn't be runed which would be cheating, but he was still sure he could do it if the fucking wind would play nice.

As he lined up the shot though his prayers were answered. The wind shift to under where he would be shooting, but it was gentle and would actually carrying the round further, but only if he shot now. Emptying his lung he began to squeeze the trigger, and just before he was about to scour his name in the history books his commset began to suddenly squeal in his ears and made him wince in the last second before he fired. The round sailed wide and impacted a ship at the 500 yard mark and quickly turned it into a molten pile of slag sinking below the sea. Hugely impressive and great for the experiment, but pissed the Nyxian off like no tomorrow. Placing his gun down he jammed the button and shouted into the mic. "CTHULLU HISBLODDYSELF BEST BE AT OUR FUCKIN' DOOR, OR I'M PERSONALLY SENDING YER UGLY FUCKIN’ HEAD BACK TAE MORDOR!"

There was silence on the other end for a few seconds then the unphased voice of Claude answered.
"You know anger is the path towards the Dark Side F.B. Jedi are supposed to be collected and calm at all times like me."

Taking a few deep breaths Forcebreaker growled through the comm. "I will kill you and yer entire bloodline one of these days...I....fuckin'....swear! Now...what...do...ye..want!"

"Emergency meeting straight from the top, O-5, Sage is calling all his wayward sheep home. Even the angry glowy ones." With that the call ended and Forcebreaker growled standing up then stowing his rifle in it's case his tattoos glowing with his anger still even as he put his cloak back on, but some control has returned to his voice as he looked over at Duncan. "World's fuckin' ending lad. Word straight from O-5, get back an' keep an eye on things aye?" Duncan nodded and began packing up his gear as Forcebreaker tied his rifle to his back and summoned up his Anima.

"Bloody hell yer nae gonna try that daft slingshot idea again are ye?" Forcebreaker simply nodded and slung his magic out to grab onto a couple of trees with two invisible beams of energy. "Fastest way back mate. See ye on the other side." With that Forcebreaker walked back keeping his hands tight on his manifested power and his Pull Ability. Magic or not physics are physics you put enough strain and pressure into something the rebounding force will propel you. He took a deep breath then sling shot himself up into the sky and began soaring over the treetops. Talking off was easy, it's the landing he was still working on. He reached the edge of Beacon after slinging himself one more time, but the second attempted wasn't as perfect the trees he had to use weren't the same height so it through him into a tumbling spiral. And as the hard concrete of the beacon's path came into view he had to think fast and using Push and Pull in tandem he stabilized himself enough to manage an almost graceful superhero landing. He hit the ground hard and sent a small crater two feet out in every direction. The young guard was outside his hut weapon drawn and ready to shoot. "Where the hell did you come from?!"

Standing up and dusting himself off Forcebreaker studied the young man. "Where the hell did ye come from! Where's Murry? He was a fun bloke."

Keeping his gun trained the young man shouted. "Hand up and get on the ground!"

The glowing man simply sighed walking to the Guard. "I dinnae have time fer this." Walking he grabbed the young man by the the collar of his uniform and dumped him ass first back into his little hut then simply walked over the gate listening to the kid try and hail someone on the radio to report a security breach. But a loud voice squealed through his earpiece shutting him up.

With his gun still in place Forcebreaker found his way to the meeting room seeing only the old man, the Valkyrie and the less handsome tattooed man had arrived. "This better be legit, and nae another prank by those fuckin' Fae!" It was then he felt a damn hard hand smack him upside his head. "Swear jar for you too!"

F.B.'s eyes sparkled for a few seconds before he realized it was Sigrid. "The flyin' fuck is a swear jar!? ...OW bollocks!" He shouted as she smacked him once more. But she stopped at the second thing. "Hmm do foreign swear words count? Ah well." She smacked the Nyxian into silence as he found his seat behind his initials carved in the Inkkin alphabet.

Yggdrasil_Hugger
12-18-2018, 02:55 PM
Kodran entered, Benbryter firmly in its sleeve. He managed to walk in just as Forcebreaker was slapped by Sigrid. He chuckled. He found his seat, with his name written in Norse letters. "I wass sleeping. Thesse better be good." He mumbled more to himself than anyone. "I need someting to drink."

P.K.
12-18-2018, 08:37 PM
Ansleigh turned her head on the table as her Phone started to vibrate noisily against the table. Tiredly she tried to ignore it but it just wouldn't shut up she was half tempted to take the damn thing and chuck it across the book filled room but groggily thought about the ear full she'd get for damaging the Valkyries property. Reaching out she took hold of the object of her annoyance and opened her eyes to peer at the screen. It was Claude. What good reason did he have to call her now? other then sleeping in and obviously not being located in her rooms and probably being late for some kind of training....

She groaned as she set up against the stiffness in her back and the soreness in her neck. That's what she got for passing out slouched against a table. Opening her Phone she put it to her ear leaning heavily against her other hand as she yawned into the Phone. "I'm awake... I'll be ready for whatever training regimen you've got for me today in a few..." she mumbled sleepily to the Phone.

"Maybe it would do you some good to sleep in your own bed once and a while?" Claude responded.

"If only it were that easy." She sighed pushing herself to stand, stretching once more with a low groan.

"You better get to the conference hall, Emergency call O-5."

Ansleigh plopped back down in her chair blinking the sleep from her eyes. "Really?" She sighed. If she recalled correctly O-5 spelled bad news, came from the top as far as she could tell, but she didn't think she'd ever been in a meeting with this level of bad news before. She shut the book. "I'm on my way." she grumbled.

"Good." And with that the orc was gone.

"Bad news?" Carder asked floating at the side of the table.

"I think so." She mumbled heading for the door and down the hall. She was a right mess, dressed in an over sized, baggy T-shirt and a pair of ripped jeans, Her hair was in a messy pony tail and there were bags under her eyes. She made a B-line for her room which was several halls and corners away. Goodness she hated this place. It was so needlessly complicated and secret and... she just hated it. She had come to resent most everything about this place... and as much as she hated to say it... she'd come to resent Carder as well. He could sense it, she was sure he could.

This place was just a never ending reminder that she was anything but normal. All she had ever wanted was to be normal. And for the fraction of a second she'd really found something normal but it was taken away and turned into something unnatural. She hated it.

Flinging her door open she tossed her note book on the bed and snatched up a second book and a small black light, Invisible ink, it wasn't the most advanced way to hide information but it was simple and effective. Flipping to the back she turned on the light to read the hand writing on the back cover. O-5 indeed meant trouble, lots of trouble. She figured it was best not to let code words lay around in the open but she'd be damned if she could remember them all. Setting the note book back on the table and tucked the black light into the crack between her bed and frame where it couldn't be seen.

With her hands free now she pulled out her pony tail and ran her fingers through her hair in an attempt to tame it while she looked around her room for a pair of clothes to wear. Being as she was now in a military installation she had been more then briefed on keeping her living area tidy. For the most part she'd stuck to this but there were a few items haphazardly scattered around the room. Books, papers, pens, pencils... Okay maybe she hadn't kept to keeping her room clean but at least her clothes were neatly folded on top of the dresser.

She kicked her door closed and Carder floated around the corner of her room with his back turned to her. Dead and he still had manners enough to not look when his girlfriend was undressing. "Okay, you can look now." she told Carder as she pulled her hair free of her long sleeved shirt and tossed it over her shoulder before giving it one last brush with her fingers and put it back into a pony tale. At least she looked a little more presentable.

"You better hurry, your likely the last one Claude called."

"Ya, I know." she said throwing on a denim Jacket, snatching up another notebook and pen and heading out the door. Carder close behind following her down the hall, for those with out the sight he was nothing more then cold air but to Ansleigh he was still very real.

She took long strides down the halls towards where she knew the old oaken doors were for the conference room. Already the olden men where there, Connor, Henry, F.B, Kodran and Sigrid. She gave mild nods of acknowledgment to all of them before she flopped unceremoniously down in her chair. How did she know it was her chair? she hadn't carved her name in its place yet...

It seemed she had missed a part of the conversation, a tens part of the conversation that seemed to have Connor in a bad mood. She'd also missed the fact that there was food! Ansleigh's stomach growled loudly and she dropped her notebook and pen on the table before pushing herself up from her seat, sideways over the armrest, and made her way over to the back where the food was. loading a small plate with a little bit of everything and filling a cup with some of the hot coco someone had generously left steaming on the table next to the coffee. Carder floating silently just behind her chair.

Sliding her notebook over she placed her food down on the table and set down shortly after. She wasted no time digging in, noting that there already seemed to be a bit of egg on the table. She couldn't help eyeing everything going over the information she had in her head about them. Sometimes it still boggled her that things not human were quite common place in their world. She might have lived side by side with a monster and never would have known. She would have preferred it that way but unfortunately there was no going back. She glanced at the bracelet around her wrist. It made it difficult for spirits to feed off her and manifest, which also meant that there weren't as many following her around, just Carder.

Koti~
12-18-2018, 09:47 PM
Isa let out a frustrated yawn, staring at the parchment laid out before her. Various religions and manuscripts scattered about. She looked through old hieroglyphics and even sanskrit. Sure she couldn't understand it all, though that's what translation guides were for. The page in front of her held one group of runes, a mix of pictures and what she was able to sketch. It was a pet project for her to figure out, as it was the biggest riddle shes been facing.

“It might as well be Atlantian for all I can get from this.” Isabelle grumbled before pushing away the papers and pulling out her book. It had been days for her studying the rune working of Force Breaker, when he wasn't trying to hit her up. Alura already had a fling with him, yet the insatiable man wanted more. She allowed him his flirty nature only to get his runes penned to paper. After that she had spent several sleepless nights when not working on making sense of these runes.

“Thinking of time though.. I should get some sleep before Sigrid comes after me for staying up.. again.” Isabelle rubbed her eyes, not sure of the time herself. It would do best to get some sleep soon, but first was a shower. Stowing her reading she stood, her panty clad form glistening from the steady LED light as she headed towards the shower. A nice hot shower would help loosen her form and help relax before getting some sleep. Stuffing a yawn she was about to close the door when her phone went off. She stalled, hoping that it was either a scam or message, but the moment she could hear the TARDIS theme, she knew just who it was.

“Okay, maybe not that early in the morning.” Isabelle spoke when she turned around to her phone. Picking it up she flicked it open for Claude, responding with a cheery morning. She felt her face drop some as Claude relayed the message of the morning meeting. It was an 0-5 mission.

“That serious?”

“That serious? Foods in the meeting room. See you there.” Claude finished as he ended the call. Looking to the bathroom she shifted her focus and moved to her closet. Opening it up she began getting dressed, putting on a fresh pair of jeans and swapped out for her black Sabbath hoodie. It was a comforting outfit as she fiddled her hair the way it wanted to lay before finally exiting. She greeted those who had come before her as she snagged a cup of coffee, knowing she would need some energy after a long night up.

“An, you need to sleep more.” Isabelle offered to the younger girl as she studied her boyfriend, wondering just how their relationship worked out.

Dnafein
12-19-2018, 05:17 AM
https://fontmeme.com/permalink/181219/c60b598927ec3d6679c351442db59ae1.png

As with all things he does, Todosi flowed silently through the Kata. The wooden sword cutting furiously through the air. The assassin moved immediately into the next move, the blade audibly slicing through the air. The vibration of his cell phone stilled the man’s movement, his head turning to face the distraction. Stepping back into a ready stance, the blade twirled and slid into the assassin’s hand at his waist, as if sheathed.

Moving to the gym’s wall Todosi returned the practice weapon to it’s home. Turning he stepped to where his phone rested and lifted it. Tapping the face he studied the alerts that awaited him. Quickly unlocking the device he opened his text messages. The ninja’s eyes scanned across the letters written, and his eyebrow quirked.

Seeing no need to reply, Todosi slipped the phone into the pocket of his Gi. Grabbing a towel from the stack near the door, he wiped his brow clean and exited the gym. Nodding politely to the staff as he worked his way through the halls to the conference room. At the door his eyes skimmed those gathered inside. With a polite wave of a hand he moved to the table at the back; Collecting a plate, the human loaded it with various fruit from a platter hidden behind the eggs and bacon.

The assassin collected silverware wrapped in a napkin, and grabbed a half dozen strips of bacon. He moved to the table and set his plate down. His fingers briefly stroked the dragon carved into the table, one nearly identical to the tattoo on his back. Unrolling the napkin Todosi grabbed the fork, quietly beginning to eat his breakfast, after taking his seat.

https://fontmeme.com/permalink/181219/f6b5bc88d096d04a678aa923f04139a0.png

Khoonbish’s snores competed with the incessant ringing of his phone. He rolled over in his sleep and fell off his bed. Sitting up suddenly, the werewolf snarled in irritation. His hand reached out and closed on the phone, lifting it he eyed the missed call alert and groaned. AS it began to ring again he tapped the screen and groggily said, “Baina uu.”

“Don’t hello me.” The baritone grumbled irritated. “Get to the conference room. Orders from O-5.”

“Why would they have or-” Ken pulled the phone from his ear as it went silent. “That was rude.”
Ken’s mouth opened in a massive yawn, as he stretched and got to his feet. He glanced at his mirror and ran his hands across his shaven head. Looking down at his black Metallica tee and cargo pants the werewolf hesitated briefly before shrugging. Running his hands across some open bottles sitting near the door he lifted the one that still held alcohol and marched out the door.

Ken moved his way through the hallways raising his bottle in salutations to those he knew. Entering the conference room he again raised the bottle in greetings. AS he passed his spot he set the bottle down at his seat and grabbed a plate. Heaping a pile of eggs onto it he stopped at the bacon. Lifting one he frowned at the crispy strip. “Bacon’s over cooked again.” He complained before adding a pile bacon to the plate.

Grabbing a fork the stocky man moved back to his seat, setting his plate next to his bottle. Ken shifted stretching out as he began to shovel eggs into his mouth. “What’s this all about then?” He asked his eyes moving to Sullivan.

Koti~
12-19-2018, 10:51 AM
Nate gave a grumbled yawn as the light was forced through his window, making a grumbled attempt to pull the shielding blanket back over his head. Sure it was only the overhead lights clicking to life, it was the last thing he wanted right now. A frustrated mumbled passed his lips as he struggled to fall asleep again, only to hear the alarm ring atop his book case. It only pained him further before he tossed one of his pillows at the damn thing, knocking it off the top, along with some of the wood carving.

“I'm gonna get that overbite Tuskface for getting that thing. Worst gift ever.” Nate grumbled as his awoken body forced him to take response to nature's call. Slipping out of the warm covers he danced along the cold floor and into the restrooms, wearing nothing but a pair of boxers and a simple wife beater. Normal attire for a growing teen boy to be seen in.

Bella had been awake for some time, she didn’t seem to rise and fall with the sun opting to do something more along the lines of cat naps. She stood on her tip toes peering at her reflection in the mirror as she bared her teeth. She might still have many of her feral traits but one thing she’d come to understand in this civilized section of the world was cleanliness. And she groomed often. through observation of others and the teaching from the elders Bella had picked up on the use of a hair brush and a toothbrush and could generally make herself appear like a presentable young girl. That seemed to be very important to the pack setting here.

Though it had taken a little over a year for Bella to get used to clothing, and to teach her not to wiggle out of them she still refused to wear shoes. Her human development was behind but she wasn’t stupid. Bella’s light footsteps took her across the room, her body may not be built like an animals but ten years of living like the observed forest dwellers made her movements unusually easy. She took hold of the door handle and twisted it allowing the door to swing open so she could peer into the hallway.

Nate paused the minor moment as the door opened, catching him somewhat off guard before the head of Bella poked it's way free. A smile cracked his face for a few seconds before his attire made that different. A few years ago this would be acceptable, but times change when one enters the age of a teenager. Blushing furiously he scampered into male restrooms, hoping she hadn't seen to much. Growing up with most everyone here was family, and his attire wasn't the biggest problem. Bella was different, only having joined when he was ten, and her being feral and taking lessons meant they didn't see much of each other to start.

Nate stuck his hand out to wave her hello before heading into a stall to answer the call to nature. Bella interested her the most, not only from the gift she had, but more the fact she treated him like just another child. Nathan guessed that was due to her animalistic uprising, or maybe her younger age, he wanted to hang out more with her. That started their years of chaos and ruin!

He showed her all the cool hideouts he had seen, and had been trying to learn how she moved, hoping that he could use her skills to escape from the base now and again.

“Good morning Belle.” Nate greeted as he poked his head out of the room, a broad smile on his face knowing that his friend was awake as well. Sure they might have lessons that day, they would have to catch them first if Bella felt up for it.

Bella grinned at her friend before cocking her head as his face changed colors and he rushed off into one of the rooms she wasn’t allowed in. Clearly she didn’t understand that behaviour but she made her way over to the door and waited outside patiently till Nate stuck his head out and greeted her. “Good morning.” Bella repeated his greeting back to him. She’d picked up language so slowly sometimes it was still hard to tell if she understood what it was she was repeating.

Bella grinned impishly up at her friend. “Lessons… chase?” she asked haltingly. They were coming easier now but it was still difficult.

“Yeah, but I need to get dressed first. Mind meeting at my room in a minute?” Nate spoke, still hidden halfway by the door. He knew that Bella had begun to grasp the concept of human worlds, yet there were some aspects she still was coming to learn. While they were the same age, she was female, and that made the difference to him, if only mentally.

Bella cocked her head to the side before looking back towards his room for a moment before turning her bright green eyes on him. “Minute.” she agreed. She waited a moment before she seemed to realize that he wanted her to go so he could leave. Again she wasn’t sure it mattered. Bella made her way back to her room slinking to her bed and digging under her pillow to pull free a few pilfered snack bars. She had various stashes like this hidden across her room, once and a while Claude or someone would come along to clean out her stolen goods but she always managed to retain some of her goodies to share with Nate.

With the way clear and things taken care of, Nate was able to dart back into his room, having given Belle plenty of time to make it back to her room. Entering in he looked around, from the number of small statues scattered across the top of his dresser to the different gifts from around the world are from others. Heading towards his dresser he picked out an outfit for the day, settling on some shorts and a tossed on shirt. He grabbed his knife and spun it around his fingers, feeling the small bits of anima still pulled from his using last night. On the small work bench sat his latest work, a rough start for an ambitious project of making a dragon.

“Belles probably waiting for me.” Nathan spoke quietly as he rolled and stretched his body a bit, an eager grin on his face for what they planned to do now. Maybe this time he could beat her at a race through the archives finally. It did annoy Claude, and Sigrid, but that only added to the fun. Besides, other than the training hall, it was the only large enough place, and it had obstacles to jump and run around.

Bella had taken up a seat, cross legged, near Nate’s door, tearing open the wrapper to one bar and eating it quickly. She had a second one out to Offer to Nate as soon as he came out of the room. However Bella paused in her meager morning meal and looked down the hall. There were heavy footsteps coming from down the hall, footsteps she recognized. Claud soon came around the corner at the far end of the hall and made his way towards Nate’s room.

Claude was still grumbling at having to play errand boy to Nathan, despite his years in service to the valkyries. Besides that, the young man had grown into a huge brat. They had trained and taught him from when he could learn to hopefully turn him into a fine young man. So where did they go wrong? The swear jar was one such thing that would hopefully make a change.

Turning the corner he spied Bella sitting next to Nate's door, slowly munching on a snack bar she had managed to hide away. Honestly, the girl was gonna get ants at this rate with what she squirreled away in her room. The bigger concern was her hanging outside the boys.

“Good to see you awake Miss Bellatrix? Not planning on anything mischevious were you?” Claude asked the girl as made his way up to her, his flat baritone voice focused on the girl.

Bella watched the large beast of a man walk down the hall and address her. She pushed the rest of the bar into her mouth, munching on it as he closed the distance. By the time he was upon her she’d swallowed down the morsels, crumbs the only remaining evidence, and shoved the other bar into her pocket.

The wild child thought over what the orc said for a moment before she smiled impishly. “Planning.” She responded finely. Bella pushed herself to her feet but even straining on her tippy toes the orc dwarfed her small hight. “Come… for?” She asked as innocently as she could manage.

Raising one eyebrow he studied the girl. Despite what she has been taught, several of her wild habits were stuck in place. Last time he heard her planning, she ended up bringing a bear cub onto the base grounds. It was not pleasant getting the bear back home. With her resting outside of Nate's door, it only smelled of trouble.

“I hope you don't plan on bring back another one of your friends. Now, what are you planning with Nate?” Claude asked the girl. Nate had heard the steps from his room, and even he could barely contain a groan at his presence. If he was already heading towards them, then their chances were slim they could actually get free. He would need to plan a way to get away from him. It did excite him that they could already start their games early.

Bella grinned but she clearly wasn’t going to tell, and not just because she had a difficult time with speech. She liked the orc, but she also liked messing with him. But that was true of just about everyone in the facility. Their reactions were to good and it seemed to make Nate happy. Bella dropped to all fours again and prowled around to the Orcs side in an attempt to draw the orcs eyes away from Nates door incase he slipped out now. Bella would have an easier time avoiding someone’s grabby hands then Nate would. If Nate wanted to make a brake for it now she was sure they could make it a good chase.

“Seems like a good chance now.” Nate spoke. Having laid down he was able to watch at least their feets as they moved. With Belle on his side, Claude was now forced to choose between the door and her. Neither was a good option to take focus off of. With the distraction made, Nate knew just what to do.

“You are not making a good impression for this morning so far. We got enough going on that I don't appreciate the thought of you causing trouble.” Claude reprimanded the young girl, only to turn as the door behind him opened up with a bang. In the archway stood Nate, holding up the statue of the boar. Oddly enough modelled off the small one Bella had snuck in.

“Anima project!” Nate pushed as much anima into the statue, watching as it stumbled the orc. Proud that he had managed to at least wind the giant, he tossed the statue effortlessly to plink off of Claudes head as Nate ran to the side, tugging on Bella's hand.

“Run! To the archives!” Nate yelped happily in the air, putting as much effort into running from the large Orc, making sure Bella was with him.

Bella let out a squeal of excitement as they took off down the hall together in the direction of the archives. It took Claud a moment to get back to his feet, but in that moment they were rounding the corner as the Orc yelled after them, as if that would make them stop. Bella Lopped alongside Nate. It wasn’t quite like running through the trees on a crisp morning but it was close enough to start.

As they tore through the halls towards the Archives Bella’s keen nose picked up the unmistakable, fresh smell of doughnuts. She slowed for only a moment to savor the smell before speeding on ahead. “Food!” She barked picking up the pace to take the lead as she looked over her shoulder at Nate with another grin.

“Hey, no fair!” Nate spoke as he tore after the girl, trying to keep up with Bella. In serious races he had yet to win against her, and with food on the nose, that was even less likely to happen. He followed after, taking riskier turns as he could hear the thunderous foot falls of Claude following the two children booking it through the castle. He didn't dare bellow after the kids, not wanting to know he had been punked by the children.

“I'm going to get you this ti-” Nate spoke, only to come skidding to a halt as he nearly bowled into Bella as they entered the meeting room, gathering the attention of the Valkyries there in.

Bella had rounded into the room and nearly collided with the old man at the head of the table, she came skidding to a stop just before slamming into the old man’s knees and doubled back until Nate came around the corner. The two 13 year old kids just barely avoiding becoming a tangled mess upon the floor.

“Whats going on here?” Sigrid Spoke up from her seat as she stood to take a better look at the two kids, exactly where they should be but looking like they had just caused some sort of trouble. Claud wasn’t far behind, appearing in the doorway and cutting off the Kids escape huffing but not out of breath.

"Uh . Good morning everyone?" Nate offered, trying to lighten the mood they had just put them in.

Yggdrasil_Hugger
12-19-2018, 01:16 PM
Kodran growled and waved a hand. "Fuck off ya obnoxious pygmies." He looked back at the rest of the group. "So what's happenin'? Tell me soon, because I'm hungry, tired, and impatient." he chuckled a low chuckle.

StormWolf
12-20-2018, 02:29 AM
In the time it took for everyone to trickle in, Connor was already on his third cup of coffee. Upon seeing the sloshing bottle clutched in Khoonbish's fist, Connor chewed the inside of his cheek. He had a feeling that by the time Henry adjourned the briefing, a drink would need to be had, to hell with the hour. The air in the conference room grew hotter and drew tighter with every extra body that filtered in. The bacon-grease-and-coffee smell started to subside in the face of... people. Connor gnashed his teeth, folding his arms over his chest.

"Beg pardon, everyone. I was under the impression I was running a crack team of occult-military professionals, not a whinging carnival of milksops," Henry said in response to the stark overabundance of bellyaching, not even looking up from his preliminary work. "But I don't believe a few extra hours of beauty rest is going to be doing any of you much good, anyways." Connor smirked at that. The old man was still sharper than a vorpal sword, and didn't flinch at antagonizing a room full of admittedly powerful beings. Sigrid voiced Connor's amusement with lough guffaw, slamming a money-stuffed mason jar down in front of Connor. Grumbling, he leafed out a buck for every curse and jammed it down the threaded glass gullet before passing it along to the others who owed, Breaker and Kordan. She gave the viking a knowing look. Being a Chooser of the Slain, she could make his existence in particular extremely unpleasant as well as brief.

"Thank you, Sigrid." Henry said warmly. When their junior members stumbled in with a panting Claude hot on their heels, Henry and Connor glanced to where Belle and Nate had sprawled in a tangle. Sigrid, seeing the mark on Claude's forehead from Nate's figurine, tugged gently on her husband's tusk and kissed his furrowed brow.

"Not quite right on time, but welcome. Take a seat, and we'll get to it." Tapping the screen of his tablet, the lights in the room darkened, Claude closing the heavy doors to the conference room on queue with a dull whump as they sealed. Connor waved to Nathan and Bellatrix, gesturing to the seats on either side of him. He wasn't so cruel as to keep the two of them on opposite side of the room, but neither was he dumb enough to sit them side by side. This way, he could at least make sure both kept their focus on Henry's briefing.

"If you're gonna eat, get it now, then sit. Double-time," Connor said, snapping his calloused fingers in his telltale sign of "hurry the fuck up".

"Now, as Claude mentioned in preface, this is coming directly from O-5 brass, so no B.S. You'll likely have questions, so I'm going to tell y'all ahead of time that I probably don't have any answers. Some things are over my paygrade, and miles above yours." With the room darkened, a projector cast a brilliant cone of light from its housing in the ceiling, casting a map grid on the screen above and behind Henry, showing sprawling wilderness, all green and shades of amber with smatterings of unseasonable snow.

"Starting in mid 2017, the Ranch placed Task Force Mustang in deep cover within Helena, Montana, and the surrounding Lewis and Clark County on a simple recon and observation detail," Henry swept his hand, and the next image zoomed in, showing the county boundaries in stark yellow, the city of Helena marked with a red pin.

"According to local reports from... we'll call them people of interest, a local neo-Christian anarchist-seditious cult had been doubling down on their activity, possibly stepping foot into our kind of strange. Talks of miracles and other weirdness outside of the usual weird cult shit." Henry paused, making brief eye contact with Sigrid as he laid a dollar on the table, then continued. The next slide (https://www.topoquest.com/tmp/5c1ae3bc_5eb1_36.jpg) zoomed in further, close enough to make out individual buildings and the nearby terrain, surrounded on almost all sides by hills, mountains, forest and gorges. North-east from the city was mostly hills and plains, pockmarked by lakes and ponds, latticed by streams fed by the Missouri River.

"The Children of the Blessed Mother have been on the federal radar for a while, having numbers, anti-government attitude, and a metric shit-ton of firepower," Henry placed another dollar bill on the table, and Sigrid smirked in the dark. "They recruit on a national level, gravitating towards marginalized populations, usually working-class and former military. Normally, I'd say let the FBI, NRA, or one of the other Alphabet Soup Agencies deal with them, after Mustang missed their check-in twice, the associates at the Ranch called for a Tier One response - you lot. Apparently, they had enough "wet concrete" data to bump The Children up the ladder. What that is... is mostly conjecture based on Mustang's observation." Henry made brief air quotes as needed, bringing up the next slide, this one a series of images. Four individuals, one of which had a red "x" over the head shot. They all seemed to be pulled from a penitentiary photo-shoot. The first was a thickly set man, easily a decade older than Henry himself, with thin and messy hair and an equally unkempt beard. There was an unsettling wideness to his eyes, giving him a hawkish visage.

"James Waltley, 68, Founder of The Children of the Blessed Mother, deceased. Sources indicate a mining accident in late '17. His son, Noah, took up the helm as "Father"." The image labeled Waltley, Noah was a spitting image of the older man, but thinner, more athletic, with soot-dark hair. Though he possessed the same fervent intensity in his eyes. Even from the high prison collar, tattoos were easily visible on the man's neck, all the way to his jawline and ears.

"Noah Waltley, 38, a real piece of work. American Nationalist, violent anarchist, and the current Father of the Children. According to the 2018 reports from Mustang, the Children have grown far more active in recruitment and activities, though they still generally keep to their compounds. They other two we know almost nothing about, since the cult has been keeping closed ranks. We know them only as "Teacher", and "Mother"." The next two images were subsequently of a man and a woman. The male appeared to be in his mid-thirties with a red beard and hair cut high and tight. There was a wolfish quality that Connor immediately recognized. Anyone who looks at the world that way - the way Connor also does - has seen a particular kind of hell. Connor pegged him as a soldier. The female was the youngest of the bunch, looking to be no older than thirty, by his guess. Blonde and blemish-less, almost catlike in the sleek symmetry in her face. Connor could almost call her pretty if it wasn't for some unnameable quality in her money-green eyes that made his spine crawl.

At the head of the slide was an odd symbol, a perversion of the cruciform shape with draconian elements. He saw the same symbol tattooed on Teacher's right cheek, just beneath his eye. That must be their symbol.

"This morning, roughly a hot five minutes before I called you people in for this brief, O-5 notified me of an encoded communique on one of Mustang's deep net channels, requesting immediate extraction. Details are iffy, but O-5 and the Ranch expect the worst. So be prepared for anything. Primary objective is to recover Mustang assets and exfiltrate any surviving members without raising alarm. If the cult catches so much as a whiff of G-Men, they'll head underground, and if they have any hostages, they might get the axe. So go in quiet, don't engage the cult unless ordered or otherwise out of self-preservation. I don't know what exactly you should expect, so I will leave the particulars of your travel supplies in your more-than-capable hands." Henry spoke evenly with an almost clinical detachment as he swept to the last slide, a censored image of Task Force Mustang in their full-tilt operational gear, their faces blotched by censor's ink. A five-operative team, three men, two women, all standing with the casual poise of seasoned and professional soldiers.

"Given the level of unknowns, O-5, in their infinite wisdom, have ordered that Nathaniel and Bellatrix be brought along on the mission. Spare me your reservations and objections, the die is cast," Henry raised his hands in a placating gesture. "Their presence is precisely why I'm advocating extreme caution. I've taken the liberty of chartering a jet to Helena Regional Airport, due to leave in three hours. Any other pertinent details will be in your mission files, so unless you have nothing better to do than ask me a question I probably can't answer, I'd advise you all get ready. Good? Good. Dismissed."

Gradually, the lights came back on. Connor felt simultaneously uncomfortably warm and cold at the same time, his arms instinctively resting on the backs of Nate's and Bella's chairs in a guarding manner. The silence was almost electric, and Connor's heart thundered. Keeping the two kids in line on top of the others, all while keeping under local and federal radar was going to be a goddamned nightmare. Puffing out his cheeks in a sigh, Connor scrubbed his face.

"Well, shit..." he mumbled, sliding another dollar across the table to Sigrid before rising. Mug in hand, he smiled tightly down to Nate, ruffling the boy's hair as he walked behind Nate's chair to the coffee pot, helping himself to another deep cup of caf. Claude had opened the doors, and as soon as the murmuring static of conversation started up again, Connor snatched up his backpack and made himself scarce.

Leaving the conference room behind, he navigated the familiar labyrinth of the bunker's commons to the showers. Rummaging through his bag for his change of clothes, Connor stripped down and set one of the shower nozzles to "molten lava" temperature, his Glock in quick and easy reach as he closed his eyes and let the water wash over him. It made the previously chilled skin scream, but it was relaxing in its own way. He just stood there for several long moments, mulling over the gravity of everything laid out before him. The mission sounded way to small for O-5 direct command, which frankly scared Connor more than being directly ordered to deal with a Code: Omega. He knew there was more, but they all lacked the clearance, meaning that Henry, goddamn him, was doing his job.

Connor clenched his hands into fists like mallets, scarred knuckles grinding into the wall of his shower stall. Damn Henry twice for being good at his job, even if it meant putting Connor's...

He breathed deep, scars and tattoos heaving across his broad back.

Even if it meant putting their youngest team members at unfathomable risk. Connor rubbed his eyes, massaging the headache that had settled in at the back of his sockets. The dull buzzing in his brain was gnawing at him, a ghostly anxiety that seemed to strangle the thick trunk of his neck. Reaching to his chest, Connor clutched the medallion that hung on a leather thong, rubbing his thumb over the minuscule inscription. Pressing it to his lips, Connor forced himself to clear his head. No matter how much he wanted to spend the whole day in the hot water and the steam, the team had a tight timetable.

Koti~
12-20-2018, 01:02 PM
Nathan, once deposited into a seat on the right hand side of Connor, had begun to zone out some while eating his breakfast. He had been in a very select few mission briefings when he was, mostly after having visions in his sleep. This time was a bit different, but it still made no sense to him. His main focus was on the plate of eggs and bacon he snagged before having sat down. The mission was in regards to one of the other groups, one called Mustang. His first thought went to the car of the same name, the next being the group itself.

He scowled at the image of the cult leader as they popped up on the screen, a heavily tattooed man, another who had the same look as Connor when he was in training mode, and a woman who he swore was part cat with her eyes. She looked pretty, but it was unsettling. He mentally groaned knowing that he would be stuck behind again with Claude as the rest went off on another awesome mission.

That was, until Henry spoke again.

"Given the level of unknowns, O-5, in their infinite wisdom, have ordered that Nathaniel and Bellatrix be brought along on the mission. Spare me your reservations and objections, the die is cast,"

This caused Nate to almost choke on the hot coffee, spluttering in complete shock as he felt the weight of fath- Connors arm resting on the top of his chair. Simultaneous mixture of excitement, fear, dread and nausea pulsed through him. His eyes scanned the room. From most their faces were masks to him, some bothered, others worried. The lights clicked on slowly and he could finally see the face of Connor, noting the tight smile as his calloused hand ruffled the cropped mess of hair he had. The boy didn't even have a chance to ask him anything before he vanished.

“C'mon boy. Let's get you properly set up.” Claude spoke up, giving no room for barter as he mad sure Nate was following, thankful that Sigrid would take care of Bella for the upcoming prep.

“I get to go on a mission?” Nate finally found his voice, scampering after Claude as they headed towards his room. Claude only nodded before they finally entered his room, the door closed tight.

“Nate, sit,” Claude pointed to the bed before taking a seat for himself. He waited for the boy to side before letting out a sigh,”Yes you are going on a mission, so I need to stress this more than ever. You need to listen and follow orders as they are given, without complaint or question.”

“I know th-”

“I mean it. If they tell you to stay put and hidden, you do that. If they tell you to run, you do that as well. I don't care if they ask you to dance like a chicken, you do that. No questions asked.”

“Why would they want me to dance?” Nate looked at the man perplexed.

“You know what I mean. They have been on several missions and know what need to be done.” Claude ignored the brunt of his question.

“Now, let's get you packed up properly. After that you can shower.” Claude spoke, motining the boy to start packing up his things. He guided the boy on the best stuff he could use on the mission, making sure both the staff and gun were properly loaded and cleaned. He could see the excitement start to creep upon the boy, knowing that for the next insufferable couple of hours the boy would be ranting on. Hopefully Nate could get it all out before they landed for their mission.

“Now, go grab a shower and get cleaned up properly. Last thing anyone needs is to be given away due to sweaty teen boy smell.” Claude spoke once they finished packing up. Nate stuck his tongue out but rushed off to the showers, already trembling with joy. Claude sighed before double checking over the items they had prepared. He added a few more items that he was sure they needed and organized it, wishing for the safety of the entire crew and that they would make it back alive.

-

Yggdrasil_Hugger
12-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Kodran looked a bit... disappointed. This was, after all, a stealth mission, which was exactly the opposite of the berserker's strengths. He dropped a single grey coin into the jar, and left, grabbing a bagel on the way out. Filled with bacon. And cheese. And eggs. And maybe it wasn't a bagel. Maybe it was a glazed doughnut. He crammed half in his mouth, mumbled a good-bye, and left. Upon entering his dorm he promptly crammed the rest in his mouth, dropped his clothes, and got into the shower. So... a stealth mission. Not my strong suit, but I can do it, can't I?

P.K.
12-21-2018, 04:38 AM
"That's Hypocritical." Ansleigh said pointing an accusing finger at Isabelle. "Admit it, you stayed up all night. At least I passed out." She said stuffing her face with more food as others began to arrive. Isabelle was perhaps the only person around here she actually could bring herself to like. Probably because they both enjoyed learning knew things, knowledge.. But she could also see the same things Ansleigh could.... she supposed that was some kind of comfort.

"You thought wrong." Ansleigh muttered at Henry's remark about running a professional bunch. After all, she was in it and she was anything but professional.

The teen looked up as the two hellions barreled through the door, causing a bit of a scene with Claude coming in the rear and cutting off their obvious escape. Ansleigh quirked an eyebrow up as not only did they not get told off for bargaining into the conference room where they weren't normally allowed especially when a meeting was about to happen, but they were invited in! An's eyes traced over the people in the room. Connar had been grumpy, she'd missed a part of the conversation? was it about the hellions joining this conference? After all, one of them was his son.

as the conference started up with the actual information as to why they were all here she reached over and flipped open her note book and picked up her pen. Taking down bits of information that were of interest and would likely be important for research or reference later.

No wounder Connor was in such a bad mood, This was bad, and they planned on sending her there? Let alone these two 13 year olds?! "they are some other kind of crazy." she muttered taking another bite of her doughnut as she pulled her knees up onto the chair. Carder frowned at her clear lack of respect for the higher ups, but it seemed more concerned then disapproving. He'd watched An change over the coarse of her being here... And it wasn't for the better and he couldn't be sure that she'd come out of it better in the end. That's what concerned him... He wanted her to be happy but ever since the accident she'd been almost nothing but miserable. And there was nothing he could do about it.

As the meeting was warped up Ansleigh remained seated and picked at the rest of her food. She was trying to sort out the mix of emotions that were causing her to feel sick to her stomach. First of all fear was pretty prominent, there was no way in hell she was ready for a mission like this. but through the rest of the emotions she felt the settling emotion of simply not caring, the passing through of maybe it was better this way if she vanished like the Mustangs did, actually unsettled her more then the fear of going on the mission did.

Ansleigh couldn't eat anymore, crawling out of her chair she threw the rest of her food away, picked up her pen and book and proceeded to leave the conference room.Carder following after her with a deeper look of concern. "I know that look." "I'm fine." "your not. You should talk to someone." "Talk to who? your dead." She said bluntly. "And everyone else around her is a seasoned Demi god, superman or wizard." She said sarcastically turning from her boyfriend again and moving off down the hall. They didn't have time to listen to a 19 year olds emotional whining. She'd lived through that crash, she quietly rubbed at the scar at her shoulder as she entered her room, she'd live through this... or she wouldn't.

SikstaSlathalin
12-22-2018, 06:14 AM
F.B. listened and watched in silence as the briefing carried on. Usually he was zoning out during these things just picking up the things that applied to him and his skillset as Sniper, Scout, and overwatch. Despite his skill at close combat he was very rarely on the frontline with the likes of Connor or Kodran. His glow was constant and while artificial lights or sun could usually drown it out as night he was like a walking glowstick.

He usually hung back from some high vantage point and just killed whatever came into his crosshairs that wasn't a friendly. But as the old man went into all the details the Inkkin found himself listening for once. A simple rescue mission was graded 0-5? Even if said rescue mission was going into some Anarchist cult with all kinds of guns and occulty things it didn't seem bad enough to rate "Cthullu Rising" in Jedi's mind. The man's usual mistrust took back over and he narrowed his eyes studying each slide as well as Henry's face minutely. They weren't being told something, his MagInk burned like it did when around liars. It wasn't enough to make him speak out, but it would be filed away in the Sniper's mind for later. If the old man wasn't telling them then it was either for their own good or he didn't even know it all like he said, neither made the Nyxian feel the warm and fuzzies.

What was said last though made the tattooed man's eye widen and his large fists clench and glow brighter. Two kids coming along on any mission rated above Code Mike was ludicrous especially with one of them being an Oracle. All the red flags went up in his mind and he instantly felt pity for Connor, out of all of them he was the closest to both kids. The rest of them were like Aunts and Uncles or maybe big Sister in Ansleigh's case, but he was legit Nate's dad and that experience gave him the most chance to get Bella acting right so dad to both. Forcebreaker raised his hand before everyone started leaving after Henry dismissed them. "Oi, seein' as I'm a wee bit of a liability on a stealth mission." He held up his brightly glowing fist for emphasis. "And we're takin' the Junior Justice League with us I recommend we keep them as far from trouble as possible and I volunteer as babysitter. Zan and Jayna there can hang back with me in overwatch and I can bring them in or bug out with them if needed." He looked at Henry then shrugged. "Or if nae then I'll simply stick at the back of the group with the wee bairns. Either way they'll nae leave my sight. Bein' a kid and starin' at the scary things in the void is nae somethin' I'd wish on anyone." He gave Henry a quick salute and made his way for the door ignoring the swear jar. Despite the almost out of character feelings he'd just shown though Sigrid wasn't one to let heart get in the way of decency and quickly blocked the man's exit shoving the jar at him shaking it expectantly.

The man laughed and pulled the rifle off his back then open the case and pulled out his last two rounds. Well the unfired UV round and the casing of the Mini Nuke round and dropped them into the jar. The Valkyrie scoffed and quirked her eyebrow. "Yeah no, money goes in the jar to help pay for all of the etiquette lessons you potty-mouth savages need!

The Sniper chuckled shaking his head. "Well lass seein' as I only swore because this briefin' ruined the prototype round experiments I was already doin' fer the brass, I figure it's only fair you lot pay fer what's yer own fault." Forcebreaker chuckled patting his kilt clad body "Besides does it look like I have a wallet?" With that the sniper gave the woman a cheeky wink, a tongue click and double finger guns, then slipped past the woman and was gone before she could chase him down and frisk him.

Nothing about this mission sat well with the large man so in accordance with Henry's warning Forcebreaker's first stop was the armory. While everyone on the team had their side-arms or personal defense weapons on them or in their rooms at all times, the mission weapons were kept in the secure vaults beneath the Beacon. F.B. always had his long sword, but his Breaker Rifle and Force Pistols were down here. Plus he had to return the rifle he was using this morning to practice. An elevator ride and three security checks later he was in the Armory giving his weapons a quick inspection. The Engravings never needed recharging, but the Runic Rifling did occasionally. Luckily all Inkkin are born with a huge reservoir of Anima, and F.B.'s in particular was particularity virile and drew from the world around it when activated. Though the absorption wasn't very fast so he couldn't rely on it in the field, Here though before they started playing games with death all it would need is for the man to lay hands on the weapons and sing Stairway to Heaven once for them to be back at full. His next stop was a few doors down from the Armory. Gear and supplies, each member had a specific bag and list of requirements set aside to be filled by the Supply Guys and Gals whenever a mission was eminent.

For F.B his kit was spare ammo, Inkkin Medkit, Sniper gear like a wind gauge, spare change of clothes should he burn through his current set using his MagInk, specialized goggles to keep his light sensitive eyes safe, sniper rifle maintenance kit, survival knife, water, and some magic food bars that can give him a boost in Anima. He had a few other personal things he packed, but they were in his room. After giving his thanks to the Supply Sergeant and dealing with three more security checks Jedi was back in his room. Working quickly his rucksack was packed and he was dressed in his usual mission garb of urban camo cargo pants and black boots, his black tactical vest was laying across his bed. Then a single knock came to his door. Looking up he smelt a familiar scent and smiled heading for his door. Pushing casually open he nodded to Alura who smiled back albeit with tight worry in the corner of her mouth. F.B moved aside to let her in but she shook her head smiling a little easier. "No can't risk it, you might try to ravage me again and I don't have the time to go change underwear. Just here to see if what I heard was true. O-5 mission and you're bringing Nate and Bella along?"

Leaning against the door frame the man chuckled. "So much fer operational security."

The woman rolled her eyes.
"Well it was your dumb mouth that told Duncan it was an 0-5. You know for an assassin he's not good at keeping secrets."

F.B. snorted in agreement, Sigrid will probably come into his room and beat him to death with the coin jar for that slip up. "Aye, me and my big mouth. Some rescue operation though not sure why the wee ones are bein' brought along. The old man didnae say, but dinnae worry, I glow tuu much tae be on the frontline I can keep them safe."

The woman chuckled leaning in and kissing the big man's cheek fondly.
"It's not them I'm worried about, Connor will make sure nothing happens to them. But you on the other hand won't have a big gun-toting super solider to keep your dumbass from dying especially since you're a big nightlight without an off switch!" She gripped his collar and shook him gently before pushing him back into his room a little. "You best come back got me? I put a lot of time and energy into dealing with you and helping Isa try to get you answer for your MagInk. And I'm not a woman who likes having her time wasted by the guy I'm trying to help getting himself blown up or Darklighted or whatever you glowworms call dying." She pouted slightly and crossed her arms under her bust, and while her words sounded professional F.B. could tell she was genuinely worried. At first it was that professional, he joined the task force shortly after Nate was born and aside from saving his ass from being deported he had also hoped the Valkyries could help him learn something about his origins. At first the bulk of the Lore team chipped in everyone being eager to learn about the man and the race that had mostly flown under the radar of the Division and a number of other groups dedicated to uncovering the Occult. But soon everyone realized they knew as little as the man himself did and resources were moved down more promising avenues.

But neither Isabella nor Alura were ones to back down from a challenge so they were tasked with continued work on it. Isa was a cold one, but Alura had an animalistc charm that helped make the wild Nyxian more compliant to more extreme testing methods. Soon though the charm began to work both ways and now they were fuck-buddies, still working towards answers, but being happy for distractions along the way. And now those distractions had become almost affection and the Inu was worried. She knew she really didn't need to, but damn it she was part dog and dogs are loyal like this. Seeing her worry Forcebreaker pulled her into his arms hugging her tight smiling down at her. "Well firstly lass, yer a terrible liar, secondly I can only be "Darklighted" as ye call it if I use up all my Anima or get soul-trapped by some magic. I dinnae ken what we'll be facing, but I'm sure it willane burn me like that." He pulled back frowning now. "Besides, a Darlight could be very handy to a group fighting dark nasties from the pit. No soul tae possess, no mind tae enthrall, just the unlimited destruction of unchecked power."

Alura frowned remembering the stories he told her about fighting these husks.
"Yea until your heart and brain explodes from the adrenaline. I can't imagine living like that, nothing but rage and sadness to power you."

Forcebreaker nodded then shivered lightly forcing himself to smile.
"Aye, but dinnae worry. I'm sure someone will cap me long before then. Now ye best get back to work, I need tae do some MagInk exercises." He winked running his hand down her arm and side. "And I dinnae need ye losing control and ravaging me before a mission. Save that fer the homecoming deal?"

The woman snorted disengaging from his arms.
"Yeah sure glowworm, but you gotta make it back first." Because of the eight inches of height difference Alura had to first stand on her tip toes, but eventually she pulled the orange-eyed man down to her level and kissed him deeply on the lips before pushing him back playfully and walking casually down the hall. The man groaned lightly at the loss of contact, but with a firm slap across his face he was back and stepped back into his room closing the door behind him and moved to the center of his room his tattoos fluctuating as he began his pre-mission meditation and exercises.

Koti~
12-22-2018, 11:29 PM
Isabelle only replied with a smile to An's comment. She knew they had the same sleep time habit. She didn't have much chance to keep her conversation going as the meeting started in earnest. Minus the tension breaker known as the hellions. She had her empty book open and took notes and pictures on who she figured would show interest. She felt a pang of nostalgia around it all. Knowing the fact they were from a small town into a big time cult. Same history as hers to a degree. It wasn't a topic for discussion.

'So why does this warrant us?’ Isabella thought curiously. Even for a small town group, this was not shaping up to be a mission for them. Surely Mustang could sneak out on their own, but it was not her place to judge. It was to be their job, a simple in and out.

That was before the bombshell was dropped. Nate and Bella would be joining them on their mission. A top rank mission, handed from big dogs, and they wanted them to bring the two youngest members on the mission. Why would they even think of it? Wouldn't a code Mike be better for a first time mission.

‘This must be a trial for us then.’ Isabelle worked out mentally believing it to be training for them. That would at least explain Bella, but to risk Nate for it? FB spoke up, offering to keep an eye on the children during it, a hopeful offer.

“If I were to assume, this is as much a training experience for us as it is for them, but I still believe it is too bold a move by them. Hopefully their mission will make more sense when this begins.” Isabelle spoke up, looking to the others as they began moving to prepare. She gave the others a polite nod before moving towards her bedroom. Thankfully having grabbed a shower before hand, she only needed to pack and get ready. She only paused to grab another mug of coffee, needing more energy for this day.

Grabbing her duffel, in went her pistol and a few extra mags of bullets. Next was both her complete rune book and a blank for what she needed. Her pen was secured next to it, added with that a second sleeve of premade ink for just in case. Last thing she needed was to run out of both seals and ink for any reason. Her blade was strapped to her hip and secured to her leg. It would work better for silent takedowns than a gun any day.

“Hopefully I won't need it. A simple in and out mission.” Isabelle spoke with another sigh. She sipped her coffee and allowed a sigh to escape her. Her biggest worry was Bella, and her lack of training. Being the oldest female in the group for this mission meant anything along those lines would fall under her purview. Isa's only hope was that the girl would be properly set for this mission.

StormWolf
12-26-2018, 10:48 PM
The same questions and concerns that surely belabored the rest of their group rattled around in Connor's head as the steam in the barracks showers hung low, slithering into his lungs with every breath, clinging wetly and stinging hot. Flushed beneath the twisting and curling lines and patterns etched into his skin, Connor dried himself and laid out his luggage. While they were expected to maintain cover and stealth, it was Connor's job to know his team. Though many of those in the Valkyries had waged wars and walked broad horizons before Connor was ever a twinkle in someone testicle, Connor had ingrained in him a particular skill-set.

Counter-occult warfare.

Solomon Island was relatively isolated, girdled by a reef at sea with one bridge that connected to the mainland. Witches, werewolves, hemovores, and all manner of extra-normal creature exist alongside the average mortal, most of them without knowing. An experiment that dances the edge of a knife, much like the Valkyries themselves were. Any tactician needed to know the strengths and pitfalls of his team to make a valid strategy, but a hunter must also know his prey. It was something unspoken between Connor and Henry. If someone in the team lost their way, Connor was sword of Damocles.

"Homo homini lupus," Connor muttered to himself, all too familiar with the black-letter scrawl that spanned his shoulders. Connor clasped his shield bracelet over his left wrist as he got dressed, taking into account the theater in which they were supposed to be performing. His usual attire would likely cut it - all flannel, jeans, and shit-kicker boots. Connor shrugged his broad shoulders into his wool overcoat, the familiar weight a comfort. Buckling a belt of basket-woven leather at his waist, Connor clipped his STI at his right hip, his Glock at the small of his back in a pancake holsters. Spyderco knives fit neatly into Connor's pockets, his oversized primary knife flanking his pistol.

A black molle-covered duffel held the necessities: a few changes of clothes, toiletries, first-aid kit, flak vest, shotgun, and three days of ammo for his typical trade-tools. Taking his suitcase from under his bed, Connor hefted his bag and went down another level to the armory. Some people found peace in the scents of lavender, sage, or cinnamon, letting their olfactory senses conjure up some fond memory. For Connor, it was the smell of gun oil and powder, a sterile and metallic scent that sat sharp and heavy on the tongue. A safe scent. Approaching his station, Connor threw open his suitcase. His Reaper 33 sat perched in a vice, Connor having just installed one of the fancy SAI bolt carriers the night before. Plucking a few pins, he broke down his rifle into two pieces, slotting them neatly in the appropriately shaped voids in the foam. Spare magazines and his suppressor can were then fit and secured. Pausing for a moment's thought, Connor surveyed the rack of military hardware before him, balancing and measuring unknowns and operational parameters. Clicking his tongue against his teeth, Connor snatched an MP-5/10 from its wall pegs, along with a score of magazines. Collapsing and folding the stock, Connor fit the sub-machine gun neatly in place after making a few modifications to the suitcase insulation. He made a point to bring additional 10mm ammunition, though, there were going to Montana, of all places. It wasn't like ammunition would be all that hard to find.

Lastly, Connor took a knee to access the old fashioned safe underneath the workbench. Spinning the knob and cranking the handle, he procured an old leather doctor's bag. Rummaging around inside it, he pulled loose a few phials of dark glass and deposited them safely in his duffel. Placing the bag back with what could have been called reverence, Connor snatched his flask from the safe and gave it a precursory shake. Whiskey still sloshed around inside, much to Connor's satisfaction. Slipping the steel vessel into his coat pocket, Connor closed the safe and left he armory behind. Ascending stairs and traversing the winding, deliberately orientated geometry of the Beacon's subterranean hallways, Connor found himself back at the primary lift. Should he go and usher the kids along? Surely, Claude had already tackled that particular task, and sledgehammering them with authority would just cement them rebelling eventually, wouldn't it? They were that age, after all. But what if he was being too distant? The others would tell him if he was being too.. calloused, wouldn't they? The medallion hung heavy on Connor's chest, reaching up a hand to rub a finger over the familiar contours of gold and jade. There would surely be no shortage of time with the junior members. For now, Connor needed to fetch one of the cars... and help himself to a smoke.

Fog and mist had burned off for the most part as the burning ball of the sun climbed higher over the Atlantic horizon, bathing the moody slopes of the Blue Mountain and the somber forests of Solomon Island. Standing in the monolithic shadow of the Beacon lighthouse, Connor rummaged through his pockets. He found his half-empty pack of Camels, rumpled and distressed, with a hand-written note on the label:

"If these kill you, you lose. Retard :)"

Connor clicked his teeth in a tsk and pinched a cigarette in his lips. A flourish and flick of a battered steel zippo highlighted Connor's wolfish features as the butt of his cigarette glowed hot. A single puff of smoke, and three black SUVs rounded the cul-de-sac, girdling the slumbering seahawk. Connor's pensive eyebrows quirked, curious, as the lead driver stepped out. Red-brown hair, cerulean eyes, and immediately familiar cheekbones and jawline. The driver was a young man in appearance, looking no older than twenty in a hand-me-down grey suit that looked about half as bedraggled as the young man wearing it.

"G-good mor-morning, Mah-mah-Mister-" the lad stuttered, knobby fingers knitted together and fidgeting furtively. Connor raised a hand in a calming, placating gesture.

"Good mornin', Arthur," Connor said with as disarming a smile as he could manage, and felt a modest relief as the boy's features brightened. Thank goodness Connor guessed the right name. "Smoke?"

"Oh, uh-nuh...nah. I mean, no thank you, Mister Creedmore... sir."

"Christ alive, boy, I ain't your SO and I sure as hell ain't your old man." Connor spared himself a chuckle, stepping to the car and leaning against the glossy black shell of the range rover. "Not that I blame you. These things'll kill ya. Well, not you, actually." Connor shrugged. It really wasn't fair. All the assholes Connor knew and far too many of them had regenerative properties so acute that inconveniences like disease - no matter how severe - were something to be ignored. Arthrur Winterfield, and his family brood, being all werewolves, were among those exempt from such mortal ugliness.

"Besides, your dad still grows that good shit, huh?" Connor glanced over to Arthur, the collar of his coat turned up to the cold and damp of the morning. Arthur tucked his chin to his chest and shrugged, shoulders not quite wide enough to fill out his suit.

"Y-yeah. I don't mean any offense to the ladies you work with, but... well, mom and Mari are expecting again. You know how they get." Arthur was sheepish as he spoke. Connor had known the Winterfields for some time. He was friends with Harland, though neither of the old wolf's wives seemed too fond of the notion.

"Congratulations?" Connor said, unsure. Arthur shook. Oh dear.

"Trips and quads." Arthur muttered, uncomfortable. Connor coughed, the smoke catching in his chest.

"Jesus..." Connor laughed through his coughing fit, clapping Arthur on the back. The boy flinched. For a supernatural super-predator, Arthur had an alarming lack of spine. "Best of luck to you then, Arthur. You know, your dad and some of your brothers are welcome to the Warf for a drink, just in case you need to bail." Connor said, returning his hand to himself and grinding out the butt of his cigarette beneath his boot.

"I'm not old enough to drink, sir..." Arthur confessed.

"Bah, I won't tell no one." The two of them shared a brief smile as they awaited the others to trickle their way out to the thoroughfare, and descended into silence.

P.K.
12-28-2018, 03:05 AM
Bella grumbled as she slinked through the room to the source of food. Taking whatever she could fit in her hands and made her way over to the chair on the left side of Connor, hopping up in it just as the light dimmed down. She crossed her legs and stuffed food into her mouth unceremoniously. She didn't understand hardly anything that was being said but the pictures flashing on the screen behind the elder man took her interest. Pictures of places and pictures of people, she watched intently feeling the growing feeling in the room, or maybe it was just Connors's tangible feelings. They came off him in waves. He didn't like this, not one bit she could sense it.

When the lights came back on Bella stuffed was licking her fingers but her eyes turned to Connor as he stood, rubbed Nat's hair and strode out of the room. F.B. spoke up about watching her and Nat making Bella perk up for a moment as the huge glowing man walked out and Claude took Nat out of the room. Bella looked up as Sigrid leaned over the side of her chair and held out a hand to her. "Alright you, come along now. We've got some talking to do and some packing."

Bella took the adult women's hand and slipped out of the chair, following the women down the hall and back towards her room Nat and Claude where a ways ahead of them. Bella looked up at Sigrid who's eyes were ahead almost nearly until they reached her door. Sigrid turned and looked down at her with a mixed look. She didn't like this either, whatever it was. "Listen carefully you." she said finely and tapped the wild girls nose. "Your going to be going out with the others this time." Bella cocked her head but her eyes were focused on the women's face.

"Which means your going to have to pay close attention to what they tell you." Sigrids voice held a tone that made Bella listen very closely, She meant it. "Tell you?" Bella asked "Yes." Sigrid replied with a nod before opening the door and stepping in. Bella watched as the older women pulled out a backpack from her closet, something Bella herself never used. Accept to occasionally hide things in. Fortunately there was none of her stash in it this time leaving it empty enough for the women to start packing things such as extra clothes, mostly just clothes as Bella wasn't really authorized to use weapons... of any kind.

Sigrid opened one of her drawers and pulled out a handful of plastic warped mini muffins and looked at Bella with a quirked eyebrow. Bella gave something of a sheepish grin and but she also looked pleadingly. She didn't want Sigrid to throw those away, they were blueberry... her favorite. After a second Sigrid tipped the muffins into the bag giving her a little smile as Bella clasped her hands together and grinned brighter. "I'm going to have to have Claude clean out your room again while your gone, and maybe if we are lucky it will stay clean for a few months when you get back." The women frowned for a moment as she zipped up the bag, gazing at Bella.

With few strides She crouched down in front of her, rubbing her head for a moment. "Be good." Bella nodded. "I mean it." Sigrid said. "Listen to Connor, and F.B. You do what they tell you, no Mischief making." She said sternly. Bella paused for a moment taking in the look of stern concern from the women before she set back and finely nodded. "good." Sigrid said. "Good." She slung Bella's bag over her shoulder and held her hand out to her again. "come on, lets go find the others. "

Dnafein
12-29-2018, 05:50 AM

Todosi listened as he ate his breakfast. He immediately wondered why it started with a history lesson on another team. Still the ninja studied what was shown. He paid extra attention to the slide of the compound. While he would have preferred to actually get eyes on the site, satellite imagery offered unique views. The former gangster quickly made a list in his pocket notebook. Ripping the page out he held it out to Claude. The orc should be able to get all the images of the compound in the various filters.

Finally the briefing got around to the mission; And Todosi hid a smile with a forkful of fruit. Stealth missions proved he belonged amid those who are more than human. A rescue mission isn't the easiest thing to pull off completely unseen, as getting out with more than what you went in with tends to be difficult. Locating the best route and ensuring that path is clear increases the chances.

When the bombshell dropped Todosi's eyebrow quirked. His eyes quickly flicked to each of the others, taking in a general look of surprise. The ninja turned his attention to the hellions looking to see what their reactions would be. Bella's lack of reaction didn't really surprise the former gangster. The boy's face on the other hand was one of surprise, and yet Todosi could see the hint of terror deep in Nate's eyes. An appropriate reaction in Todosi's eyes.

At the dismissal the ninja seeing both Claude and Sigrid tending to the kids he took his list to Henry. Todosi handed the request to his boss with an apologetic shrug; Before slipping out after the others. He returned to his room and quickly packed up his armor and a number of outfit changes. That done he moved to a mini fridge, opening it he reached inside and grabbed a bag. Carrying it to the coffee table that his katana was displayed, Todosi carefully got to his knees.

Taking the blood bag he ran it slowly across the edge of the blade, splitting it open as he did. The ninja ran the bag back and forth across the edge of the weapon, watching as the blood flowed across the blade. Todosi watched as most of the blood simply disappeared into the metal, a few drops dripped to tabletop. Taking a white strip of silk, he wiped the table clean then ran a few polishing strokes across the blade. Grabbing the sheathe he quickly slipped the blade inside. Hefting the sheathed weapon and his luggage Todosi headed to the armory.

He slipped the cases for his firearms into a duffel and loaded it with ammo. Gripping the duffel in the same hand that held Juuchi Yosamu, hefting his luggage in the other he headed towards the seahawk.

Yggdrasil_Hugger
12-31-2018, 08:15 AM
Kodran turned off the shower, dried off, and began to stuff clothes into a bag. Modern shirts, pants, shoes, in they went. He also packed in a rag, a whetstone, a bottle of oil, a half dozen small knives, and some beard clippers and oil, because by the gods he'd have a rocking beard. He slung the bag over his shoulder, adjusted Benbryter, made his way to the cars. "I am ready."

SikstaSlathalin
01-05-2019, 04:06 AM
Sigrid and Bella were making their way through the halls. Since Sigrid would not be going herself she'd have to hand Bella over to one of the team along with her gear. Claude should have Nate all bundled up by now and hopefully he'd be along shortly. Then it was only the adults to round up and worry about. Fortunately most of them could take care of themselves, the only one she might consider worrying about was Ansleigh. Time would tell.

Bella suddenly tugged on her hand and pointed to the door coming up, the cafeteria. "Food!" Bella urged. "you ate." Sigrid told the girl. "Your still hungry?" Bella nodded eagerly. Bella never passed up a chance to graze. Sigrid rolled her eyes but walked with the child to the door and let the munchkin go watching as she dashed off over to the plates. "Use a plate this time!" She called.

Bella glanced over her shoulder at the women before she reached over the edge and pulled a tray free. "and no using your hands to put the food on your plate!" Never mind she better serve the child herself. she tossed Bella's bag on the table and started for the child.

Having completed his pre-mission exercises Forcebreaker snagged himself a shower then felt his stomach rumble loudly. He never liked the greasy food brought into the meetings, he preferred a hearty meal to warm his guts when on mission. And there was only one place he could get it around here, the Beacon's cafeteria. After dumping his gear into the motorpool he made a beeline for the food. He arrived a few seconds after Sigrid and Bella and simply found himself laughing.

Grabbing his own tray he went to stand behind Bella after nodding to Sig. "Might I recommend the breakfast ham and scrambled eggs lassie? Twill be my choice."

Bella turned her eyes up, looking at the giant of a man behind her and grinned. "Eggs." She replied in agreement licking her lips. "Careful glowstick, She might make a mess." Sigrid said crossing her arms. Bella reached for the egg ladle on her tippy toes, usually she'd just climb up for a easy reach but last time she perched on the tray rails one of the cooks chased after her and a sizable mess was had afterwards.

F.B. laughed pushing the girl down and took the ladle giving her a healthy pile of eggs and two pieces of ham winking back at Sig. "Dinnae worry marm, I can help her." Looking back at the girl he served himself similar piles of food and scooted them down the line."Yer far tae wee gotta put some meat on yer bones. And milk." He said placing two cartons on Bella's already piled plate.

"F.B. if you knew what little hidden horde piles she had in her room you wouldn't be saying that." "Milk!" Bella snagged one of the cartons before Sigrid could attempt to put it back. This milk never tasted as good as the milk she'd had from the mothers of the wild, but it wasn't to bad. Bella grabbed onto her plate and attempted to lift it off of the rails but Sigrid steadied it with her own hands before pulling it free from the child's grasp. Bella pouted but held onto the carton of milk she'd snagged.

The glowing man chuckled lifting the teen up under her arms and bouncing her lightly judging her weight like he would a side of beef. "Well then the lass should be bigger than this me thinks, maybe ye need tae change her workout routine." He smiled and plopped Bella back down to her feet before heading for the table where the hellion's gear was and sat himself down to begin eating.

Bella giggled as she was lifted up and bounced before being plopped back to the floor. She scampered off after the two adults and jumped up into the seat, crossing her legs under her as Sigrid slid the plate down in front of her. "Her workout routine is gonna change, a lot." Sigrid said with more of a frown. Bella punctured the carton of milk and tore a small piece at the corner before taking a long drink. "You remember what I told you?" Bella paused looking at the women before lowering her milk. "Be good." Bella repeated slowly. "And?" Bella looked to F.B. before back to Sigrid. "Listen?" she asked slowly.

F.B. chuckled again shaking his head slowly as he enjoyed his food. If anyone could train Bella it would be Sigrid, hopefully a few hours on mission with him won't ruin all that. Finishing his current mouthful of food, the man took a swig of his orange juice. "Gonna tame her like a wild horse eh marm?" He chuckled at Sigrid before looking down at Bella. "So ye excited fer the mission lassie?"

Sigrid grunted. "I don't think that's an approach that will work with her." Bella looked back at F.B. and cocked her head. "Mish-un." She smiled with just a hint of mischief. "Nate come. Go out... compound." Bella said before taking another long drink of her milk before she picked up a piece of ham. "Out... in... wilds!" She said more enthusiastically and stuffed the ham into her face.

The big man laughed. "Och this will be a fun one." He went back to his plate. "Then ye can try tamin' her like a Night Claw." He said sagely.

Sigrid put a hand on F.B.'s shoulder. "Good luck." She said giving him a good pat. "Seriously though, I'm leaving her in your hands and I expect you to bring her back in one piece." She said sliding Bella's bag over into the seat. "I've got some things I need to check on before you lot leave. don't make a mess." she said pointing a finger at Bella sternly as the girl picked up some egg and carefully popped it into her mouth. When Sigrid was away Bella looked at F.B. "Night... claw?" she asked curiously.

F.B. nodded. "Ay giant gnarly lizard that spits fire and can rip a man in half. But if ye tire'em out and tie'em up they can be tamed."

Bella cocked her head as she tore into the other piece of ham. "Tie...em... up?" she asked trying to imagen what he could mean doing that to a beast that must be as big as F.B. if not bigger. "Want... spit... fire!" she said grinning at the idea. "Can... find one?" she asked.

The sniper laughed loud and banged his hand on the table. "Dinnae ken if ye can breath fire anytime soon, as for finding a Night Claw we'll need tae head back tae my birthplace for that. We dinnae have time for that. Besides Nyx is a long ways away."

Bella pouted. the man's heavy accent didn't seem to hinder her understanding of basically no. "Time... after... come back?" She asked leaning towards the Glowing man now intent on seeing a wild night claw herself. "Want... go to.... F.B. ... Birthplace." she insisted. "See.... Wild things!"

Forcebreaker smiled shaking his head slowly as he finished his food and cleaned his mouth off with a napkin. "Maybe someday lassie, but Nyx isnae the easiest place tae reach. Plus Connor would need tae come along. He may nae like it."

Bella frowned again. She stuffed more eggs into her mouth. Someday? She counted on her fingers, concentrating hard there was a Monday, a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and even a Sunday! But there was no someday! She held up her seven fingers in F.B.'s Direction with a disappointed look. "Only... this many... days... is no Someday!"

The couldn't help but smile around the primitive girl. "Dinnae worry, Inkkin have more days than the rest of ye. But finish up lass, got a few things tae go over with ye and Nate once he shows up."

Bella continued to pout but did as she was told and stuffed her face with food till her plate was clean and both cartons of milk were drained. She slipped out of her chair, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand before she licked of the eggs smears and grease. She went to pick up her plate so she could tote it off to where the people cleaned it, even though she'd licked off every crumb herself so it was clean.

Shaking his head Forcebreaker led the girl out of the cafeteria and towards where he thought his other charge would be.

Dnafein
01-06-2019, 05:41 AM

Khoonbish continued to scarf down bacon and eggs while Henry spoke. The werewolf's eyes moved to the screen with each slide change, taking in the shared details. He began to consider his loadout as the briefing went on. At the dismissal Ken finished the food on the plate grabbed his bottle and headed back to his room.

Ken retrieved his old military duffel, and set it on his bed. He snagged his freshly delivered clean laundry bag and dropped it into the duffel. He slung his bow case and sword across his back and scanned the room looking for anything else he might need. Ken's eyes briefly lingered on a scent covering lotion, then his head shook. Montana was full of hunters, he could pick some up there. Leaving the room the werewolf gathered his bag and made his way to the armory.

Ken set his bottle down and requested his standard loadout. Pulling his laundry bag from his duffel he slid the cases inside, “I'm also going to need the ladies. And a variety of ammo. Don't know yet what we'll be dealing with yet.”

“Angela or Lucille?” The tech asked indifferently.

“Both,” Ken replied, “Should also get Dragon's Fire instead of Napalm.”

“Do you have the paperwork?” The technician asked.

“No, ther-”

“You know Dragon's Fire is a restricted material.” The tech interrupted annoyed, “And you've been told before you can't take both of those very expensive guns wit-”

The technician's words were cut off by the hand of the stocky werewolf grabbing the front of his shirt. “Yes, I know all this. However, I don't have time for paperwork. We leave shortly, if you want the paperwork bug the orc. He likes that stuff; If you don't want to have the Old Man using your headless chest cavity as a shitter then you'll get what I asked.”

Ken shook the man behind the counter lightly before letting him go. The tech briefly considered his options and then started loading the counter with various ammunition cans. Ken loaded them into the duffel before shoving his clean laundry bag back inside. He slung the case for the anti-material rifle under his bow case.

Ken lifted his duffel, the seams groaned briefly before the reinforcements took hold. Khoonbish shifted his bottle to a pocket, and then lifted the massive gatling gun case. As he left the armory he could hear the tech placing a call. Ken would deal with the consequences when he got back.

He made his way to the helipad, catching the end of Connor's conversation with the young Winterfield. Setting Lucille down Ken pulled the half full bottle from his pocket and handed it to Arthur. “You look thirsty pup. Enjoy.”

Koti~
01-07-2019, 01:10 AM
ISABELLE

Isa went over one last mental check through all her stuck, rummaging through her pack and counting out what she had. Her books checked out, along with a fully filled ink pen for seals. Her blade was tight to her side, having recently sharpened it from her last mission. Ammo stocked and everything set up for her pistol. Allowing a sigh to escape her, she knew she was as ready as she could be.

“Still not sure why we're bringing the young ones.” Isa spoke to herself as she slung her bag onto her shoulders, making sure the straps were snug as she liked them. Others would take longer, as they needed to get larger weapons from the armory or hopefully some showers. Securing her room as was habit, she headed towards the front door, noting that she wasn't the first team member there. Even koonbish the drunk had managed to make it before her. Though she was able to catch the larger Mongolian giving the young werewolf an offering of his drink.

“Did I miss something?” Isa asked as she joined the group, tossing her bag into the nearest car.

“Good afternoon Isa. Mari and Mom are expecting a litter. A large litter.” Arthur greeted the woman as she entered the group. Isa's eyes lit up at that notion, a huge smile breaking along her face. She had to resist a rather girly squeal as she pulled Arthur into a tight hug of congratulations.

“You have to let us know when the pups are born. There's no way I would miss that.” Isa made sure the man agreed, though he looked a little worse for wear. Normally Isa wouldn't be much for watching a birthing, but it wasn't every chance she could see a werewolf give birth, let alone two. This was something she didn't want to miss.

=====
NATE
=====

“Claude, are you sure Henry is right on this?” Nate asked as he finished getting dressed, looking towards Claude. The orc stopped for a few moments before cracking a smile.

“Hooh? Is the powerful and brave Nate scared of going outside the compound?” Claude teased the young boy, sitting down on the bed and looking the boy over, watching his young face twist in annoyance and anger. All of which was followed by him pounding a foot on the ground, his face screwed up with courage.

“I’m being serious here. This is my first mission and I get to be part of the crew rescuing team Mustang, in the middle of nowhere Alabama.”

“It's actually in Montana.”

“You know what I mean! They are sending us in there with basically no info other than to save the team. What if we get attacked by … I dunno evil deer or something. I've never had to kill something, and what if I end up costing someone because of that, or may” Nate began to ramble some before Claude set a hand on the boys head, stalling the onslaught of questions pouring forth. He could understand Nate's concern, but they were unfounded, the team having done several missions akin to this, even escort missions as needed.

“Listen, the team is highly trained and experts in their fields. They know your limits better than you and will work around it. I assure you that you won't be causing any problems for them in the mission, as long as you keep a level head. Take this mission at face value, a chance to show your skills and get out of here.” Claude assured the young boy. He knew where most of his worry came from, knowing that it was not only his first mission, but one with his father. The pressure he must be feeling to complete the mission muet be huge.

“Now, lets go over what I got set up for you.” Claude redirected the young boys attention, listing off the items he had, from the standard pistol loadout with his totems, to the extra set of clothing(double for socks), his staff tucked away, to several enemy repellants he might be able to use. Even the knife was tucked in there for his use, along with some extra wood blocks for carving.

“Now, you got all that?” Claude questioned, getting a serious nod from the boy. He smiled then took the boy towards the car lot, thankful that others were already gathered. Nate adjusted the bag on his shoulders, feeling that giddy joy bloom in his stomach, along with the nerves starting to bundle up. He swallowed it though, standing firm in front of his Fath- Connor, the leader of the mission.

“Ready and reporting for duty, sir.” Nate spoke in as clear as voice possible, which wasn't helped by the cracking nerves getting in the way. He could feel his face flush red before looking to the ground, keeping his posture firm despite the embarrassment.

Yggdrasil_Hugger
01-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Kodran inhaled deeply. "On ssecond thought... Maybe a bit of breakfasst wouldn't hurt..." He turned and headed to the cafeteria. He watched Forcebreaker help the child for a moment, and queued into line. He grabbed a plate, and piled it with meats and toast. He looked at the beverage options and cursed. "Damn shame thar's no mead." He filled a cup with orange juice, and moved to find a seat. The seat creaked when he sat down, but he paid no mind. After all, if you were 6 foot, 8 inches and 300 pounds, things creaked when you sat down. He ate quietly, and fast. He held a butter knife upright in his left hand when he ate, because, well, old habits die hard. Even thousand-year-old habits. He finished his plate, and put it away. "Now I am ready."

StormWolf
01-13-2019, 10:42 PM
Creaking door hinges reached Connor's ears before he turned to see who had approached, but seeing Ken there, he nodded modestly. Both of them had been in service to the Division for some time, and Connor felt they had garnered a kind of rarely-spoken respect for each other. Both did their job with little fuss, and did it well. Connor was also relieved to know a lycanthrope that wasn't part of the Winterfield family.

Arthur, on the other hand, seemed at greater unease when Khoonbish approached. He didn't recede into himself like he had with Connor. Out of some sense of instinct, Arthur cleared his throat and puffed his chest before the other werewolf. A pup posturing to not look weak before a werewolf not of Pack, Connor surmised by Arthur's body language. Connor watched as Arthur held Khoonbish's gaze for a few long moments, much to his credit, but finally averted his gaze and accepted the bottle graciously.

"Thank you, Baghatur Khoonbish," Arthur said, not bowing as one would expect, but lifting his chin skyward to show his throat as a sign of submission. Clearing his throat, Arthur took a decent pull from the bottle. Arthur had taken a second sip and returned to bottle to Ken in time for his brief exchange with Isabelle. Her embrace took Arthur by complete surprise, his eyes goggling and body stiffening. Connor chuckled to himself, opening the trunk of the SUV so he could start loading gear.

"Um-uh..." Arthur muttered, his whole face reddening. Whether from embarrassment or the pressure of Isabelle's hug, none could rightly say. Chances were that it was a bit of both. "Y-you'd have to take that up with them, Isa. I-I don't mind, or anything, but... well... werewolf mom's can get..." Arthur cleared his throat, making clawing motions with his hands.

"Mari broke a bottle over my head, once," Connor called as he returned from the trunk. "Snatched it right outta Harlan's hand and wham." Connor traced a pale bald streak along the side of his head where the deep-cutting glass had left a lasting mark. Arthur laughed with a nervous discomfort, looking from Connor to Isabelle with an expression that was almost... frustrated?

Oh, sweet Christmas...

"But they never much liked me, anyway. I'm sure they'll take a brighter shine to your company," Connor added quickly, if only to spare him Arthur's frustrated puppy-dog eyes. Poor boy needs to get out more. Perching his hands on his hips, the grip of his STI resting peacefully in the pad of his palm, Connor saw the determined approach of Nathan. Straight-backed and red faced, the poor kid's voice crackled with nervousness as he seemed to be studying the gravel, or perhaps his shoe laces. Part of Connor wanted to be proud of the kid for putting on as brave a face as he could, but pity lanced him through the center. Nathan should be getting ready for a boring day at school with kids his age, not going on some excursion to face goodness-knows-what. One thing Connor knew for sure is that Nathan was anything but "ready". He surveyed the boy for a long moment, head tilted in scrutiny.

"If you say so, boy," Connor said, his Kentucky drawl rolling out thick at the end. "At ease and stow your sh-stuff," Connor said, nodding to the trunk. He caught himself in the act of swearing, this time. Sigrid had eyes and ears everywhere, damn her.

P.K.
01-16-2019, 01:45 AM
As the hour grew nearer for wheels-up FB and Bella were working hard on a simple device that would make both of their lives on this mission easier. A harness made of duct tape. Leaning over the workbench F.B. was slowly wrapping long bands of the American flag colored tape. Holding his hand out to Bella he said. "One more strand should do it lassie."

Bella unrolled a strand as long as she could before taring it off and handing it to the bag man before she leaned in to watch with interest at what he was doing. F.B. had explained it but Bella still didn't understand. "Meant to, hold? Why hold Bella?" she asked looking up at F.B.

The big man bit the too long strand in half and chuckled. "Tae keep ye safe when the monsters come huntin' fer ye and Nate." He finished the harness and began sizing up his own shoulders for the straps.

Bella frowned. "Monster come for Bella? come for Nate?" That was serious but she wasn't frightened by the idea. Bella had lived a good 10 years of her life on her own, and she'd never learned to fear, cautious perhaps, test the waters before she dived in but never afraid. "Nate... one to?" she asked.

The man shook his head tying strips of paracord to the tape harness. "Nae he is too big, yer conveniently back-pack sized. But ay monsters could come for ye both and tis my job tae keep we both safe." He finished the harness and put it across his back adjusting the straps before he picked Bella up and slid her into the snug harness with a chuckle. "It'll be like one big piggyback ride."

Bella wasn't so convinced as she was slipped into the red, blue and white harness. most kids her age would be down right embarrassed for an older man to be carrying them around like this. Bell wasn't that at all. It was somehow going to restrict her movements... she just knew it. Bella looked back up at the big man with something of a pouty look.

He chuckled at her pout. "Och naow none of that it's fer yer own good lassie. Besides it'll only be going there. Once I'm set ye can get out. Ye'll just need to stay close, as tough as ye are there are things tougher in this world and I willnae be happy tae let ye get hurt.

"Tougher... You?" she asked curiously leaning on the man's arm. F.B. and Kodran were the two biggest men Bella knew about, with Ken probably being the closest second. If there were things tougher then F.B. she wanted to know!

The Inkkin nodded the girl's naivete always putting him in a better mood. "Ay even tougher than me. Naow come on we should get tae the motorpool soon." Leaving Bella in her harness he tossed her bag up to her then picked up his own before leaving the workshop.

Bella caught the bag and looked over the Inkkin's shoulder as he left the room and headed off to wherever everyone else was gathering. hugging the back to her she settled in with a grumble but couldn't help looking down at the ground far below her feet, or so it seemed to her. Before she looked up at the ceiling which was so much closer now! She braced one hand against the man's shoulder and pushed up in attempt to touch the ceiling to see if she could.

He noticed her attempt and lifted the harness a little giving her the extra few inches need to brush the rough stone ceiling. "See better already."

"Bella tall!" The wild child grinned over the man's shoulder seeming to forget for the moment that she hadn't liked the idea before. "Bella.. taller... Kodran!" she mused. "See lots!"

Letting out a bellow of a laugh F.B. nodded. "Ay lassie, ye may be the tallest one in our wee family now."

"Bella tougher now?" Bella asked leaning over the big man's shoulder to peer at his face.

The man gave her a wink. "Ay a wee bit, but we'll keep training ye and soon you'll be even tougher."

Bella set back seeming content with that answer for the time being and looked ahead as they were getting closer to the motorpool.

Upon reaching the motorpool the pair looked to be quite the odd sight. A grown man wearing a teenage girl as a backpack. In most places this would be a quick jaunt to jail, but in here it was just life when you work and live among a group of paranatural soldiers. "G'morrow to ye all." Forcebreaker said casually as he placed his gear in the truck then pulled Bella down from her perch so she could do the same. The big man then opened his bag and began looking for what he had planned for Nate.

Bella Waved to the others as they came in. "Bella tall! See lots! and tougher!" She called. She tossed her things into the truck after Forcebreaker let her down before turning to Nate and grinning at him eagerly. "Ready... go?" she asked.

Yggdrasil_Hugger
01-16-2019, 03:48 PM
Kodran slung his bag back over his shoulder, and walked back to the vans. He eyed Bella and Forcebreaker questioningly. He was a giant of a man, and was not used to looking up to see people. Especially people who were children and looked as if their bones were made of twigs. "What isse the purposse of thesse? What isse with the harness? The child isse plenty big... ish... let her wolk." He threw his bag into the van, then eyed the doorway. "Hmm..."

StormWolf
01-20-2019, 12:36 AM
Cars were swiftly loaded with luggage - duffels, hard-cases, and go-bags, the whole of their task-force finally gathered in the hard-packed cul-de-sac of rural utilitarian cabins and offices. Connor spared a glance to F.B. with Bella... taped to his chest? Breathing deeply of the salted air, Connor pinched his nose and rubbed his eyes.

"Tapdancing Christ..." he murmured. He trailed Bella with a wry glance after Forcebreaker let her down. If one of the kids got hurt on this little O-5 experiment...

Bella's child-shriek voice rasped against Connor's ears, he forced a tight smile on his lips, gesturing to one of the the SUVs vaguely.

"Pick your seat. No shoving, and seat belt on until I tell you," he said with a casual firmness. Raising a hand over his head, Connor whipped a finger about in a lassoing motion. The universal sign for "roll out". Arthur gave his jacket a nervous tug and rounded the bulky fore-end of the black range rover, slipping his gangly self behind the wheel. Looking back to Kodran and Forcebreaker, Connor was certain it was a cold day in hell. The fucking viking was speaking sense enough for Connor to agree.

"Strappin' her to your center-mass, over any armor and in the way of weapon handling? Fuckin' genius, F.B. Advanced thinkin' like that, our victory's a-fuckin'-sured," Conner said with a sneer of seething consternation. F.B.... Fuck-Bucket, indeed. Throwing open the passenger door, Connor slid in beside Arthur, whose gangling keys turned, rolling the engine over with a throaty purr felt through the frame and the soles of Connor's boots. It wasn't his Camaro, but those euro-trash turbocharged engines were something to admire.

With all the Valkyries loaded, Sigrid in the lead car, the caravan rolled free of the Beacon grounds, passing through the roused, but still sleepy town that clutched closely to the lighthouse. Storefront lights shone through windows, pedestrians just beginning to clutter the sidewalk on their clockwork regiment of fetching coffee and headed to work. Elbow propped on the car door, bristling chin resting atop the knuckles of his fist, Connor watched the blissfully ignorant pass by. He saw couples huddled close over steaming cups to ward off the cold, some with waddling, bundled brats beside them. Envy trickled down his spine, bitter and cold, but this was what he signed up for. A life sentence to make sure others could have their picket-fence dreams, but it wasn't fair to ask the same of Nathan or Bella, who would never get a chance at a normal life.

Cold eyes half-lidded, Connor reeled himself in with an effort of will, taking the weaknesses of his humanity and stuffing them down deep. He needed to trust in his team, whether or not they trusted him. Everyone loved the kids, raising them both as a family commune, more or less. Even so, Connor needed to keep himself detached, incorruptible and uncompromising. There was no shortage of entities who could sniff out such weakness like a shark would a drop of blood in the ocean.

Fuck, he needed more coffee.

Winding through the Blue Mountain Valley, the Valkyrie motor keg were the only vehicles present at such an hour. Dark pine and fir prickled the air in solemn slopes on either side of the road. Signposts sped by, hardly heeded. Caution: Deer Crossing, 65mph Limit, Solomon Airport; 2mi.

Reaching for Arthur's CB, he raised the radio to his mouth, depressing the switch with a flex of his fingers.

"Huntsman to Overwatch, you copy?" A pause.

"Loud and clear, Huntsman. A little early for comms check." Overwatch answered, Claude's baritone carrying through crisply.

"No shit. What are travel arrangements?" Connor replied, terse as ever.

"Mother has the details. She'll brief you. Overwatch, over and out."

"Yes, have faith, little ducklings. Mother's taken care of everything," Sigrid's voice chimed, soft as it was snide. "Now, be a good boy, Huntsman. Put the radio down and try talking small for a change?" Connor heard the bemusement in her voice, his mouth frozen half-open, but his reply caught in his throat. Sighing sharply, Connor clapped his mouth shut. Sigrid sent a wet kissing sound through the radio, "Over and out, sweetie."

"Out my ass..." he mumbled, nearly slamming the radio back on its perch.

Solomon Regional Airport wasn't anything to write home about. Mostly a private airfield that had been heavily used by Rockefeller and Roosevelt types in the past, now mostly reserved for aviation hobbyists, short distance commercial flight, and the Valkyries private jet.

The chain fence leading to the tarmac reeled out of their way upon approach, spirals of razor wire rocking gently. Without stopping, their bleak caravan rolled through with ease. The private jet awaiting their boarding, a Gulfstream with a fresh stencil on the shell. V Shipping International, it read. Connor wagered a solid third of them could possibly pass as business folk, though the rest could be... wealthy eccentrics? He shrugged to himself. At least it wasn't a public airliner. At least on the jet, there was a guarantee of privacy, an open bar, and no seats with unexplained dampness. He flew United enough to know he'd never do it again without a gun put to his head.

Coming to a full stop, Sigrid all but flew from her passenger seat in the lead car, bounding like a lynx to clap an elderly-looking gentleman in a warm embrace. He bore the comfortable weight of years, his curled mustache twitching cartoonishly beneath a cigar-stained smile. Leaving them to exchange pleasantries and fly-boy jargon, Connor started with the collection of luggage.

SikstaSlathalin
01-20-2019, 01:40 AM
Forcebreaker let out a low amused laugh listening to both Kodran and Connor taking shots at his ridiculous idea. The Inkkin knew it was ridiculous, but it was an amusing distraction from what he believed to be an even more ridiculous idea. "Well if either of ye great dim-skinned lummoxs can figure out a better way tae keep two wee bairns alive on a mission they shouldnae even be aware of than strappin' them tae someone lookin' out for them I'm listenin'. Otherwise keep yer panties untwisted and yer unhelpful remarks tae yerselves. Keep the baddies away from my sniper's nest an' we'll nae have tae worry about it."

Finding his seat behind Connor the glowing man sat back and began whistling gently as he waiting for the car ride to be over. He never much liked things like cars and planes to restricting for his liking, but he couldn't sling-shot himself everywhere. So much like some of his companions he suffered them until he didn't have to anymore. They arrived at the airport and F.B. exited the vehicle and grabbed his stuff as well as Bella's and Nate's as far as he was concerned his babysitting job started now. He tossed the moody teen his stuff then put Bella's across her shoulders, once his charges were set he grabbed his own stuff and packed the duct tape harness into his own bag to be dealt with later. Laying his rifle case across his back he stood watching the rest of the group get ready preparing himself for the flight.

Yggdrasil_Hugger
01-22-2019, 03:00 PM
Kodran put his bag on the plane, and went inside, looking at the seats. "The sseatss are too ssmall. I cannot sseet." His eyes lit up with a new idea. "Navermind." he grabbed the armrest between two seats, and yanked it out. He threw it out the plane. "Thare. Better." He smiled.

P.K.
01-22-2019, 03:11 PM
An had been quite the way to the motorpool, during the trip and even as she slipped out of the car, pulling her light luggage out of the back, slinging it over her shoulder as Sig greeted the older man who had been waiting for them. She glanced at Connor and F.B who were starting on the luggage, F.B. mostly helping the two hellions who, quite frankly, shouldn't be coming along. An sighed as she glanced at the Ghostly image of her boyfriend once before heading into the plain. The ghost suddenly reached out and clapped Ansleigh on the shoulder, pulling her away in just enough time to avoid an armrest to the face.

Ansleigh watched it clatter to the ground glancing at Carder giving a faint nod before she finely made her way up the steps and into the plain before glancing the the large viking man and the damage he'd done. "I'm pretty sure that's destruction of company property?" she murmured. Though he likely didn't care. She tossed her own bag down into a seat and collapsed into the one next to it, before she pulled her bag over onto her lap and hugged it there.

Koti~
01-23-2019, 01:17 PM
Isabelle detangled herself from the hug as she watched FB walk up with Bella strapped to his back like a pack. The sight alone was enough to leave her speechless, only letting a sigh escape at the strange vision as she moved to toss her luggage in the truck. She gave a quick wave to Arthur before sliding into a seat, ready for the drive up to the airport. Looking as the kids loaded up, she felt a pang of guilt for them. Dragging them untrained onto a battlefield was just wrong. The team had spent countless hours in combat, honing their skills and trade, some even longer than the children had been alive for. She gave a mental prayer as she looked at the sleeping town, watching parents leading children towards school, the vast array of beings plain for her to see.

“Nate should be one of those children.” Isabelle spoke quietly to herself, watching a mother and son chatting aimlessly about who knew what, the kid pointing to the convoy as it drove by. The boy had probably the greatest family know, but missed a lot for lack of parents, something they couldn't hope to replace. She chuckled shaking off the reverie of her own past as she looked back over the notes for the mission, putting it to memory as they reached the airport.

“Ah, the private jet. Been a bit since I've flown on it.” Isabelle spoke as she stretched, feeling joints pop free as she moved to grab her stuff. Knowing that Kodran would be on, she gave him a head start, knowing things wouldn't go right. She was proven correct as an armrest flew out the door, narrowly missing An if not for Carder. She sighed as she moved to enter and take her own seat.

“Ya know Henry won't be happy man. This jet costs a lot, and ripping these off isn't good.” She berated the man before taking a window seat near the back, mentally preparing for the mission and hoping to catch a nap on their ride over.

--

“This is so cool! I've never been flying before. That I can remember.” Nate cheered as he dashed off to the plane, having forgotten about the hilarious image of Bella strapped to Forces back. That sight alone had been enough to leave the poor boy in stitches, breaking his previous tension in his body. He wasn't sure it had been done intentionally or not, but was glad he had seen that. The drive through the town had been real cool, just watching the scenery with a temptation to pop his head out the window. Despite the urgings of others.

“So many buttons…” Nate spoke with amazement as he looked around the cockpit, the pilot just chilling in the chair and going over his checklist. Nate remained in the back as he watched, the man pressing over the colorful and flashing buttons, so many dials that he couldn't tell what any of them did. Just watching the man work was so cool.

“Connor, can I learn how to fly a plane!?” Nate shouted out the door, having moved on to inspect the rest of the plane. He didn't even bother with waiting for a response as his investigation took him across the vehicle, even to the storage area which was by far the least enjoyable. He ventures took him back to the cockpit where he stood and watched, his fascination held by the pilots work.

Yggdrasil_Hugger
01-23-2019, 04:43 PM
"Aye, but I don't care. I need to sit down." He chuckled.

--

Kodran was snoring away, asleep in his chairs. His snores were on par with chainsaws or lawnmowers. In his dreams, he was in Valhalla, chatting with one of his best friends and fellow berserker, Ivaar. They were trading tales of battle, and having a drink in front of a fire. It was nice for Kodran to catch up with his friend. "Ivaar, I musst tell you, I am going on a mission with the Valkyeries-"
"Ha! Got ya trained already, 'ave they?" Ivaar's voice had a bit of an Irish accent, as his mother was from the Emerald Isle. Kodran smiled.
"Aye, I suppose they have. But, We're investigating some missing soldiers. D'you have any advice?"
"Hmm..." Ivaar stroked his beard in thought. "A'm gonna tell ya wot A've always said: Bring yer axe." Kodran chuckled. "Benbryter's never left me side."
"Good. That axe of yer's... well, they don't call it Bone Breaker for nuttin'. See you next time you die." Kodran nodded, and woke up. He held Benbryter to the light. Satisfied, the put it back down, and shut his eyes.

P.K.
01-24-2019, 03:12 AM
Bella crawled up the steps after Nate peering around with big eyes at the inside of the metal bird thing. It was huuuuge! "Big... bird." She whispered before following Nate to the front where two men set with lots of buttons. Those she knew about and was constantly being told not to touch them. She crawled a little closer before looking back to see Nate making his way further back into the plain and scowled, taking one last glance at the buttons before following after him. "You... want fly birds?" Bella asked Nate curiously as she followed him around to look over the insides of the bird. It wasn't like the inside of any bird she'd seen before! and she would know! bird was tasty.

As Nate made his way back to the cockpit she spotted Kodran dozing in his seats and crawled over, slipping off her backpack and setting it down as she peered over the edge of the seat at the large man. He spoke funny! like F.B. but he was a lot less nice! She was reaching up to poke him when he woke up and She bolted back to her bag and out of arms reach of the man. Dragging her bag along she came back to the entrance into the bird and looked out at those still outside. "Bird... not... heavy.. us?" she asked incredulously. Sure hawks and eagles could Cary a large fish their own but they usually carried things with their claws not inside of them... and not this many.

Yggdrasil_Hugger
01-24-2019, 04:43 PM
Kodran half-opened his eyes to peer at Bella. "Tis a plane, lass. Not a bird. An' we ain't too heavy for it, but we're... up there." he beckoned her over. "D'you like taless? Taless of battless, battless fought long ago, of my time." he smiled. "Aye, my time. Twass a ssimpler time. No planess, no carss, only boatss and yer own two feet. Twass long ago, my time. Long, long time ago. I believe it wass, what, a thoussand yearss? Aye, a millineum ago. Would you like to hear a sstory?"

Dnafein
01-31-2019, 05:27 AM

Khoonbish loaded his gear into the lead SUV. He chuckled at the behavior of the inkkin and the wildchild. Shaking his head at Connor's dressing them; The werewolf didn't have much of a childhood, having spent his youth being trained for what he eventually became. Climbing into the vehicle Ken made himself comfortable.

Upon arriving at the plane, he grabbed his gear and carried aboard. Stashing his heavy weapons he returned from the hold and witnessed the “viking” rip an arm from a chair. Ken set his stocky frame comfortably in one of the large chairs aircraft manufacturers reserved for first class and private planes. He slipped his sword and bow into the chair next to him. “If you can't fit, you're too fat.” The werewolf told Kodran, as he settled down for the flight.

He buckled himself into the chair and tried not to think about what was about to happen. It wasn't flying or heights that bothered Ken. As he'd rather enjoyed the skydiving trip that one mission required of them. It was the lack of control that unnerved him; For a werewolf control was everything, the line in the sand between himself and the beast. The loss of control meant the loss of himself. And where he could likely force the door open once the plane was pressurized, Ken was unsure if he could survive a call from such a height. The closest he came was a 20 story call that left him healing for a week when his opponent vaporized in the werewolf’s grip; Otherwise Khoonbish would likely have been relatively fine. Closing his eyes he settled back for a nap, one that would leave him oblivious to the flight.

Todosi loaded his gear into the same SUV as Connor. He slipped into the backseat after Norseman slipped in next to Arthur and pulled his notebook from his pocket. The former Yakuza scribbled a note down. As they reached the plane and edited the ground transports, Todosi slid the note* to Connor before he grabbed his gear and headed to the plane.

Reaching it as an arm tumbled out the door Todosi grabbed the discarded part and boarded. He stowed his gear in the overhead and slipped into a seat. Buckling in he tossed the arm into the lap of the one who admitted to ripping it out and settled in for a nap, his sword across his lap.

*The note says [This may be the last chance they have to be children. Allow them what little of it they still have.]

StormWolf
02-05-2019, 09:32 PM
With relative efficiency, the Valkyries disembarked from their vehicles and began loading and boarding their jet, or rather Sigrid’s jet. Upon hearing the commotion inside the cabin – the tearing of metal and fabric, then the tumbling armrest – Connor sucked in a breath, ready to bellow at the guilty party when Todoshi pressed a folded paper against him. Reflex spoke for itself, a hand snatching the paper. Stern brows furrowed, glancing to the enigmatic swordsman who minced no further words, marching aboard casually with a fuming Sigrid shortly behind him.

Upon seeing a part of her plane fly out the door, Sigrid’s disposition shifted. She held a finger up to her fellow pilot, and in a display of acute self-preservation, clamped his mouth shut and took two long steps back. Ascending the stairs of the jet with eyes that flashed like lightning, Sigrid loosed a seething tirade of swears in a wide swathe of languages, living and dead, so severe that Connor expected to see paint start to peel.

“You filthy fifil, I will send you back to Valhalla with your sub-standard, subhuman brain as a suppository! There’s a couch for you to use, you rancid, flea-bitten Joutun grundle!”

It took a lot to get Sigrid that angry, leaving Connor impressed at the neanderthal’s commitment to making his supernal parole officer so furious in such short order. Their mission wasn’t even wheels up yet. Taking a deep breath, Connor decided to make like Sigrid’s flyboy friend and give the actual Valkyrie time to burn off her righteous fury. Thumbing open the note, he read Todoshi’s concise scrawl, and suddenly felt his baggage grow that much heavier. He reread it, feeling the hammer-blow of those simple words again and again. By the time he reached the stairs, he crumpled the note in his fist and stuffed it into his coat pocket.

Fuck you, Todoshi. You’re right, but fuck you...

The jet’s cabin was spacious for an airliner, complete with luxurious seats, a pair of dining booths, and a couch near the rear of the craft. It came complete with a wet bar and encrypted Division database, as well as run of the mill internet browsing and email applications.

“Connor, can I learn to fly a plane?” Nate’s high-spirited voice hit Connor like a backhand. Normally, he’d tell Nate to ask Sigrid, but she was still verbally flaying the Viking.

“Sure thing,” Connor said, “Once we’re done with this assignment, I’ll get some flight sims for you and Bella in the game room. How’s that sound?” He glanced to Nate, who seemed to be rapt in the kolidescope of lights and switches in the cockpit. Sigrid’s copilot seemed a good sport about it, answering Nate’s questions and naming the various devices and displays that may have been pointed out.

Allow them what little they still have... Connor reminded himself glibly, and shouldered past Sigrid, who was putting her hair back into place, her fury mostly spend.

“Don’t fly angry, Sig. A few of us can’t regen from a crash.” Connor said, stowing his luggage beneath the couch.

“That’s right rich and fresh coming from you, of all people,” Sigrid snipped with a flare of her nostrils. “Everyone buckle up. Wheels up in five. I hope you all packed warm. It’s a bitter one in Montana, today.”

Yggdrasil_Hugger
02-06-2019, 01:25 PM
Kodran sat there, shook. Though he was much larger than Sigrid, she terrified him. He stood up, quietly put the armrest on the seat, and walked over to the couch. He sat down, and the couch creaked loudly. "Aye, that be about right..." he grumbled. He eyed the couch underneath him with a healthy caution. Should he go back to the seats, and risk Sigrid's wrath, or wait for the couch to break, and face her... well, wrath. He looked around for a seat belt. He grabbed one and the other, and tried to click them together. Wrong move. They wouldn't reach, and when trying to make them, he accidentally ripped them out. Gods damn his einherjar strength.

P.K.
02-06-2019, 02:59 PM
When the large viking man spoke to bella she cocked her head and crawled a little closer as other started coming onto the ... plane? settling herself down just out of his reach but comfortably close enough to listen to his tales. But before the man could start into his brave adventurers sigrid came in and Bella could sens the the storm clouds coming and coming this way! Bella made off quickly out of the way of the coming storm and made shelter behind some seats where Todoshi just as Sigrid let off on the man.

Peering out from behind the seat Bella listened intently. Even the bit man looked frighted of the women. Bella didn't understand everything she was shouting but she understood how it started. as Kodran moved to the couch and attempted the buckle himself in Bella slipped out from behind the chair and looked at Sigrid "Fifil?" She asked. When she heard the distinct sound of more damage being made to the big birds belly. Bell ducked back behind the set of chairs again to take cover from the storm again.

An sank down into her chair even Carder faded back into the wall of the plane as the women's barrage of language came out at the viking. An found herself taking just a bit of amusement from the shaken look of the viking as he lumbered off to the couch and set down. She winced as she heard in brake the next thing he used, the seat belt and sank further into the seat reaching into her bag and quickly pulling out a book to pull out and cover the gruesome scene that might ensue next. She had nightmares enough she would rather not add Sigrid turning the Idiots brain into suppository.. as she put it.

Pulling the book open a couple of her notes fell out into her bag, she left them there and just tried to bury her mind in the book and block out the inheritable screaming she expected to hear from sigrid's wrath. It almost worried her that she wasn't concerned for the man's future health or for anyone's really let alone her own. But mostly she just didn't have the energy to care if they crashed and died.

Yggdrasil_Hugger
02-06-2019, 05:22 PM
Kodran winced as the straps tore. "Ríða!" he cursed, his eyes darting up towards Sigrid. He quietly hid the straps and crossed his arms across his chest. His weight shifted, and the couch beneath him let out a loud creak. "Eegh... I do not like thesse..." he froze, uneasy. Then his expression changed. "No..." he whispered, just before the couch finally buckled benath his mammoth body with an exceedingly loud crash. "Shet!" he yelled. He picked hiself off the broken couch, and brushed shards of wood from the back of his legs. "Sigrid's gon' have my head for thesse."

SikstaSlathalin
02-06-2019, 10:16 PM
Forcebreaker could only laugh as the Viking got his lashings for breaking the plane. "Ah always fun tae begin a mission with mum yellin' at one of the kids." He stashed his gear as well as Nate's and Bella above his head and took his customary spot near the exit. He wasn't afraid of flying, fear was something he dropped years ago when he was living alone in Nyx.

But when shit goes south fighting monster having a close exit is always a good plan. As Bella hid behind a chair the big man chuckled again motioning for the girl to sit next to him. "Come lassie sit by me it'll be safest out of her way." He pulled off his sword and leaned it against the wall within easy reach as he sat down and reclined his seat some waiting for takeoff.