PDA

View Full Version : [M] Vikings against Ragnarok [Paganpaige X SaltyIrishman]

Paganpaige
04-04-2019, 01:58 AM
https://i.imgur.com/DmeNXBs.jpg?1

Name: Asena Bloodwolf
Maritial Status: Single
Family:
Father- Hakkar Bloodwolf - Murdered by the marauders.
Mother- Helena - died, when Asena was 12, to disease.
Sister- Jessa - died at age 10, when Asena was 12, to disease.
Uncle- Ullr - Murdered by the marauders.
Cousin- Rayis - Murdered by the marauders.

They came in the night while everyone was sleeping. They knew it was the end of a celebration. They knew the warriors were vulnerable, making the whole town vulnerable. This nameless group set fire to everything they touched.

Asena woke to screams of women and children. Men yelling inaudibly. Her heart races as she could see the flicker of flames dancing through her window. Suddenly something wrapped around her upper arm and when she turned to see what, she was face to face with her father.

"Asena, you must leave out the back." He pulled her out of bed and grabbed her armor and sword with his other hand. "Go with Rayis. He will take you to the boat." Asena opened her mouth to protest. "I will follow as soon as I know the Jarl is safe. Go!" That's how it always was, the Jarl first. She did as she was told though.

Once out the back door she realized why he was making her run. Already so many of her fellow warriors were slaughtered. The blood was barely distinguishable from the mud of the streets. She quickly donned her armor and attached her sheath to her belt, drawing her sword as she ran towards Rayis' house. He was waiting for her on the steps, sword drawn as well. It didn't suit him, being a scrawny man that much preferred farming to fighting. He didn't say a word as he lead her around the house and down towards the river.

"Where do you think you're going?" A man's voice sounded behind them. Asena turned just in time to parry an attack from a hammer. She staggered back, barely staying up with Rayis' help. "Go." Rayis told her and pushed her behind him. She'd never heard him bark such an order before. The surprise made her mouth hang open to protest, but her throat tightened. Something pulled her towards the water and she turned and ran before she could witness anything else. No one else was at the boat when she arrived, but she pushed off and jumped in, laying down to hide in the bottom as it floated down the river.

Asena lay in the bottom of the boat until she felt she had drifted far enough from town. Only then did she sit up and use the oars to get to the shore. Looking around she knew she wasn't too far from town and well hidden enough to rest.

LATER THAT DAY

Asena had fallen asleep on the bank with the boat tied up next to her. Her dreams were of a beautiful woman telling her that it was going to be alright. That she had special powers to help get through the hard times. When the woman touched her forehead in her dreams, she woke up in extreme pain.

Her hands and her forehead burned. She jolted up and threw her hands into the water. The water sizzled for a few seconds and then the pain was gone. As she drew her hands out of the water, she noticed a crescent moon on each hand. Staring down at the water, once it settled back to normal, she saw a perfect circle branded on her forehead. Putting them together would make the symbol of the triple goddess. She tried to remember what the woman in her dream looked like, but instead remembered what had happened at her village.

Abandoning the row boat, she climbed up the bank of the river to the man made dirt road. It was a back road that would take her to town. She ran as fast as she possibly could with her armor on. Maybe it was all a bad dream. Maybe she had just fallen asleep on the river after training or something. The village couldn't be gone. Her father couldn't be gone. Nor her cousin, Rayis.

But her nose couldn't deceive her. She could smell the aftermath of the burning houses and bodies before she saw it. Almost nothing and no one survived. There were very few women and men either crying or trying to clean up as best as they could. Running through the town, there was no sign of any of her family.

"Asena." The voice belonged to the town Seidr, the magic woman, shaman, speaker to the gods, however you wanted to call her. She was old, hunched over and walked with a staff almost twice her size. "Your family is gone, child. You have a purpose to live on." Asena blinked and she was gone.

Yggdrasil_Hugger
04-04-2019, 02:41 PM
Name: Ivaar Torstensson
Marital Status: Single
Family:
Mother - Ingunn Vogdottir - killed by marauders
Father - Torsten Armodsson - killed in battle
Brother - Eid Torstensson - drowned

Ivaar was shaken awake by his mother. She was screaming, screaming bloody murder. Very quickly, he thought, That's a hell of a fire. Then he thought That's a hell of a fire. He stood quickly, just in time to see his door shattered from the hinges by a man.

He couldn't see the man's face, but he could tell he was smiling. It was not a good smile. It was a wolfish smile. Everything about this man screamed danger! danger! and Ivaar didn't like it. The man pushed his way into the house, grabbing Ivaar's mother. She screamed as the rough hands yanked her from the house. Ivaar grabbed his longbow and nocked an arrow.

The arrow flew straight. It always did. The arrow embedded itself in the man's neck, and he screamed, a bloody, gurgling scream. He fell, and Ivaar's mother fell with him. He ran over and helped her to her feet.
"Are you okay, mother?" He asked. She nodded, then turned and ran into the darkness. "Mother!" he yelled, then ran after her.

He came across a grisly scene. His mother had run into two of the marauders, both carrying spears. He watched as she fought valiantly for a moment, then was driven through. "Mother!" he screamed, already nocking another arrow. He let it fly, and it found itself in the chest of the larger of the two men. He turned and ran for his life, not waiting to find out if the arrow had killed the man.

He ran by his house, grabbing his shortsword. He slung the scabbard across his hip, then ran. He ran and he ran. He ran until he got to the shore of the sea, and hid in a boat. He laid there for hours, long enough to see the morning light peeking over the horizon. Only then did he sleep.

Later

Ivaar's dreams were strange. In them, a strange man spoke to him. At least, he appeared to be a man. The man was tall, old, and he had only one eye. He did not bother to cover the open socket. Ivaar wished he would. The man carried a spear, which Ivaar eyed nervously, remembering the death of his mother.

The man waved a hand, and Ivaar awoke, something searing white-hot on his arms. He startled awake, twice in two days. He didn't like it. His arms burned and he plunged them into the water. He pulled them from the cold water, the sea soothing his burns.

He looked at his arms in wonder. On them, etched into his flesh like a tapestry, and just as colorful, were images of ravens and wolves. They chased each other, and he could almost hear the harsh cries of the ravens and the baying of the wolves. His breath shuddered as he studied his new tattoos.

Standing, he covered his arms in the sleeves of his shirt, and made his way back to town. He heard talking, and quietly picked his way towards the voices. He saw Seidr talking to a girl, then she disappeared. Typical of the shaman. Deliver an ominous prophecy, or cast a spell, then disappear.

He hesitated, then stood. "Greetings." he called. "I am Ivaar, son of Torsten and Igunn. What is your name and business?" he felt he recognized her, though he was sure he had never seen her before. Who knew, the village wasn't large, but by no means was small.

Paganpaige
04-04-2019, 08:33 PM
"Wait!" Asena yelled to the thin air. It was obvious the shaman woman wasn't coming back. She sighed and closed her eyes trying to figure out what the woman meant. Her family was gone. How was she supposed to move past this tragedy and live on with a purpose? What purpose? She absentmindedly touched her forehead where the circle was. She felt the small rise of flesh where it seemed to have scarred. It was now like a white tattoo, barely visible unless looking directly at her forehead at a certain angle.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a male's voice coming at her from a few feet away. Dropping her hands to her side, she looked at the man. He claimed to be the son of Torsten, whom she knew from her Uncle Ullr being friends with him. The man looked familiar, but she didn't think she'd ever been formally introduced to him. "Asena, Daughter of Hakkar and Jessa. Neice of Ullr." She added the last bit to see if he recognized the name, meaning they had a small family bond already. "My family... is gone. They made me escape by a boat down the river." She explained.

Yggdrasil_Hugger
04-05-2019, 04:07 PM
"Mine too. My mother was killed by the invaders. She was the only family I had left." His breath shuddered, betraying the raw emotion bubbling beneath the surface. He shook his head, almost trying to shake away the emotion. "Where do you think they came from? I will not stand idly by as those monsters continue their rampage. I will avenge my family and my village. Do you wish to come?" he asked.

He wondered what his dreams had been about. He tried to remember what the man had said, but he couldn't. His mind wandered back to his tattoos. The man had obviously given him those tattoos, which made him wonder what exactly his dreams had been about. And who that man was. And why. Why had those men come? Why had they destroyed everything. Why did Ivaar want to rip and tear and slash, when he so preferred a bow as his weapon. Why?

Paganpaige
04-08-2019, 10:45 PM
Asena listened to him intently. He seemed to suffer the same way she did. Both newly orphaned and wondering what to do now. Though Ivaar knew what he wanted to do. She could understand why he would want revenge. This couldn't have been a random burning. "That's what I would like to know. It's not like they stayed to conquer our village. Why would they just burn us and leave?" She pondered aloud as she thought through who it could be.

She looked around at the fallen village and a different wave of rage crossed her eyes. "I am in. Let's find those pieces of scum." Asena pointed towards the way she had just come. "I hid that way and no one passed me. They must have gone the other way." She pointed the opposite direction. Her eyes glanced down at her hands where the crescent moons were. The back of her hands had white tattoos on them which could barely be seen with her skin already so pale, but if you looked directly at them, you could make out the moons. "Shall we scavenge up some supplies and head out now?" She knew there wasn't much to salvage, but hopefully they could get some decent travelling gear.