PDA

View Full Version : (M) The Redlight Crew (Sci-Fi Horror Group RP)

Stockholm
04-20-2019, 01:37 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/1c/8e/a0/1c8ea0e67e95490e253d2cca99861cd6.jpg

"The name was simple, really."
"To be completely fair, none of us were invited aboard for being creative. We were more... practical than that, you could say. Engineers. Doctors. Biologists, here and there. But none of us were good at coming up with something better than 'The Redlight Crew.' When word got out there was something in the water- in our water, it was a huge quarantine. Everyone was at risk. No one was safe. Yadda yadda yadda. But most of us, and you can ask, waited for about a year in that fucking red warning light. And once the cops stopped coming through, and people stopped returning our transmissions, that's when it hit us that shit had really gone sour. We still are sending out broadcasts. Have been for about a year. Nothing yet."

"Well, I guess it's whatever. This station has no shortage of supplies, and even if they can be hard to find, we can typically find a way to get food. Plenty of crops to grow, and the food synthesizers still work, although they're hard to get to. We can manage all that. Hell, we even figured out why we were safe- we used good old fashioned boiling to clean our water rather than the shit we- they pushed out all the time. So we are pretty well off on resources. No, its once we realized we were left behind by the admins that it got real, real fuckin' hairy. We figured out fast what happened to the quarantined folks. God, I... I still sometimes remember when we opened the hatches to see who was there. It was a group decision; nearly thousands of us were polled, and we thought we should see if anyone there could use some help. Well for fucks sakes did we pay for it."

"Those things- so much fucking water, man. Sweat, it looked like. But chemical analysis says water. They'd pinned em' down, spewed water all over them. I read all sorts of books about zombies, and when that initial swarm busted out, I thought they'd tear the guys apart. But fuck, I think that they had something worse. We never went to space- even a fuckin' water treatment plant, thinking we'd be at risk of drowning. Are they even still human? They walk, run, do all that- but they don't eat, sleep, just drink. I don't know how but they got the water purifiers on and they just drink, all day, every day. We found this out nearly a year ago, and those near thousands of people dropped to the double digits real fuckin fast, at least from what we know. That's three years, about, since it all went downhill. Three years since everything went to shit. And somehow, you made it. You didn't try to kill us like some of the people from Raph's gang, and you weren't drowning in air. So welcome aboard, cadet. Welcome to the Redlight crew."

"God help us."

In the world of 'The Redlight Crew,' your character is a member, new or old, of a small band of survivors following a cataclysmic biological pathogen outbreak. Set in the distant future, your person was, for one reason or another, sent to 'The Halcyon Purification Center.' A water treatment plant and large space station, it was the main purveyor of water to much of the galaxy, mining primarily from the Ice rings of Saturn. Unfortunately, something was in the water- a presumably alien pathogen that shows odd effects on the people unfortunate enough to receive it. The people of the massive station are long presumed lost to the contagion. But you are proof otherwise.

Food and water, while scarce, are manageable. The main fear is the world outside, likely teeming with the once-human inhabitants of the station. A fate worse than death awaits those from these horrors, one we may only hope to avoid. Being holed up in the stations relatively small communications bridge, the only real methods of providing resources for the group is the captains lounge, which has access to water that is then boiled, and the food bay, which sources a wide variety of food for the group. There is much more to be desired, though- bedding is reserved to mattresses dragged in from the living quarters across the station, and the same large bridge, no matter how homey and well kept, is bound to get old. The group often times sends out parties of members together to get what they need. After the removal of weapons from the site after the June Slasher Incident, the group has come to making rudimentary arms from pipes, knives, and tape. Range is a commodity against the drowned men- rather than kill you outright, they will attempt to cause a victim to imbibe some sort of bodily fluid secreted from the creature. This, in turn, causes the victim to turn into one of them.

In order to foster a proper and organized group RP, here are a few guidelines for the IC and OOC chats.

The rules of RPA should be respected and followed at all times. No exceptions.
Keep OOC issues out of these threads. We don't want to see the issues you have with another player, be it in character or out of character.
The writing skills of this RP are to be considered somewhere between moderate and advanced. You don't need to be the next New York Bestseller author, but you should be capable of moving beyond abbreviated and lackluster speech.
Writing length should be no less than three paragraphs per post. I'll be lenient on this, cause sometimes muse runs low. That's okay. But if it is a persistent problem, I reserve the right to intervene.
Godmodding, powerplaying, Mary sues- I mean, I shouldn't have to really go into detail here. The standard no-no's apply!
This RP will be rough. Expect to see some real friction between characters, hopefully. While your character may survive, expect them to change- prior to the fall, they were just average citizens. How would you react to a weird alien water zombie apocalypse several hundred years in the future?
When handling the interactions with the world, I (Sal-T) will be the one to narrate the world, so to speak. In this, you could call me your DM, even though I intend to play with a character of my own. I will not be overly harsh to your character (and I sure as hell will NOT go easier on mine just because he's mine,) but if you run out into the middle of the purification side of things and start screaming, don't expect to get out clean.
I will accept a maximum of ten players, not including myself. I don't expect to reach this cap, but it may happen, and if it does, the recruitment is to be locked.

(Insert optional character image/portrait here!)

Name:

Appearance: (Image refs are allowed, but not required!)

Equipment:

Useful Skills: (Think of what your character offers to the Crew!)

Personality:

Backstory: (Include pre and post-outbreak backstory; be as descript or non-descript as you like!)

Other/Things to Know: (Anything extra you didn't fit in earlier or felt like putting in!)

Also... first post for a group RP like this on RPA. Let me know if I missed anything. Thanks for stopping by!

bluemoon
04-20-2019, 02:53 PM
Reserving a spot...cause you know...zombies!

Storm
04-20-2019, 04:00 PM
Would you like this moved to SciFi OOC or is this just an interest gathering recruitment thread which an OOC would be created if enough interest generated?

Also - color me interested in this.

bluemoon
04-20-2019, 06:11 PM
I always feel like...somebody's watching me... Storm

stalker

Storm
04-20-2019, 06:12 PM
Stalker? Hey, I resemble that ~hippie~

Stockholm
04-20-2019, 09:24 PM
Glad to hear the both of you are interested! Consider your spots reserved. as for @Storm 's inquiry, come to think of it, I'm not really sure why I made this in the general. I suppose it serves its purpose, but if you think it would better suited for the Sci-Fi OOC board (Which it probably is,) then I am happy to have it moved!

Kris
04-20-2019, 09:32 PM
I'll move it for you!

Also I'm in! it sounds cool!

Storm
04-20-2019, 09:35 PM
LE GASP!!!!
Another RP I get to write with Kris, is so happy, don't pay any attention while I dance my happy dance. At ebil W right now, will start working on a CS soon. ~hippie~

Kris
04-20-2019, 09:50 PM
Neat neat :D

Stockholm
04-20-2019, 10:48 PM
Awesome, another player on board! Thanks for moving it, it is appreciated.

Here'd be my character sheet. Tell me what you think!

Name: Dennis Charles Fenway, Nicknamed 'Baro.'

Appearance: Clad in a simple mechanic's jumper and often bearing his signature blue respirator, Dennis has long showed the accolades behind his role as an engineer. His rugged outfit bears rolled up sleeves and a flared out collar, leading to his face. His pale face is framed by a long mane of blond hair, showing a pockmarked, plain expression. His soft features, light colors, and gentle marring make him appear much unlike the type to actually be a mechanic, but due to the occasional spattering of grease in his hair reminds people of what he is there for. Figure wise, Dennis is a slightly shorter man, standing around 5'7." His frame is relatively small, with sloped shoulders and baggier clothes to hide it all. But life as a hands-on engineer like him has led to strong, tones arms and legs.

Equipment: Often carries around a modified lead pipe, bearing a drilled out hold for a lanyard and an extra cap screwed onto the end for a better, weightier swing. On his back is usually his old utility pack, acting as a veritable toolbox. All sorts of tools are within, from hammers, to wrench kits, to screwdrivers of all assortments.

Useful Skills: Technical knowledge of onboard systems for basic survival. This includes plumbing and electrical knowledge, but by far his strongsuit lies in repairing and jury-rigging items for the group that could be considered useful. Another extremely useful quality is his experience with emergency situations and with on-site issues.

Personality: A rather helpful personality, Dennis typically comes of as a somewhat loud-mouthed personality. This quirk rarely lasts longer than a day, as he does his best to show his goodwill. He can be hard on people, but rarely without jest. All this positivity and joking, however, often times falls out of place and is exposed as a facade. Having witnessed several catastrophic events has, for all intents and purposes, scarred him. Often times, the laughter becomes all to obvious at trying to protect him from the monsters at night.

Backstory: Born to a small family of poor mining operators, Dennis comes by his background honestly. He grew up doing his best to help the family, go to school, and to get the education he needed to follow his familys footsteps as an engineer for all sorts of utilities companies. While many laughed at his enthusiasm for a job deemed inglorious, he took pride in the fact that he would be a cog in the machine of the people's daily lives. Without the plumber, after all, how would one get their water?

His persitence paid off when he got his degree and found a job in the mining facility that his parents had worked at for years. It was an odd life, for with his degree, he managed to oversee his folks operations in the place. But after watching a massive fire ignite a mining vessel, killing everyone onboard, he decided to reassign to the Blackdown Sewage plant, an underwater outpost where he earned the name 'Baro' after showing his liking to being under the sea. While none of his family died, he witnessed a massive loss of life, including close friends. Blackdown proved dirtier work, but rather calming until a large outbreak of Dysentery sent much of the place into lockdown for the better part of half a year. The event wasn't nearly as personal, but upon finding the disgusting effects of the disease and viewing them firsthand, he developed all the more paranoia on the world around him. One more reassignment. Halcyon Water Purification Station, located in the Rings of Saturn. There, he was impressed with the relatively lavish conditions, and he hoped all would go well for his new career as an on-site mechanic for the station. But of course, that didn't go to well, did it?

Not long after the outbreak, when all official enforcement left, Baro found himself alone in the stations command station. There, he set up a communications relay to try and figure out just what was going on in the world outside the plant. They had been abandoned, it seemed- and after years of no return, he has pretty much lost hope. Luckily, he has found that among the above-water drowned, there are still a few people left. He just hopes that he and this group don't become the next to fall into the path of bad luck that has plagued the sites he's worked on.

Other/Things to Know: Baro loves old-world cultures. Whether it be the old Greasers of the ancient american civilization, or the Australian wildmen, he loves it. By far his favorite, however, is the old norse cultures that his bloodline apparently traces back to.

Storm
04-20-2019, 11:04 PM
Awesome character ~hippie~

Is there a character limit. Have a couple ideas floating around, one character intense, one mellow. Can combine personalities, but if you are cool with it, could write two characters.

Stockholm
04-20-2019, 11:07 PM
Go wild with it! Do as many as you'd like to keep up with it.

Rookiebird
04-21-2019, 02:33 AM
I'm kinda interested.

bluemoon
04-21-2019, 03:42 PM
Are the infected killed easily--like a normal human? And how much of the fluid that they spew does it take to infect? (Or does it need to get into to a mucus membrane, such as the eyes, nose, or mouth?) Does their blood carry the infection also?

Hah--I lied--I do have more questions! (gwomp)

bluemoon
04-21-2019, 04:47 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Ym6gfP6.png
Many thanks to Kris for the awesome banner!

Hey there! It looks like you have an awesome roleplay in the works Stockholm. I mean...ZOMBIES!!! =) To advertise for more members, please check out the following links...

First in the line-up is Roleplay of the Week (https://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=85745), which is displayed on the website's home page, as well as on the forum sidebar. If you submit your roleplay and it gets chosen, extra attention will be drawn to your awesome RP! Yay! We are always looking for new RPs to advertise, so don't hesitate to put in a submission! If you would like a little more information, or even an example, you can view that here (https://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59571).

If you decide to submit your RP for Roleplay of the Week, you will need a banner. If you're not artistically inclined or computer savy, do not fear, we have several amazing artists on the site who are willing to make one for you! Simply post your request here (https://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79546).

If you would prefer not to put in a submission, another option is to post in this thread (https://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79783) and the staff will display your role-play in their signatures.

And finally, you can put a post in the Roleplay Directory (https://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40645). This thread allows anyone to view the roleplays that are currently seeking and accepting new members.

LET THE STORY BEGIN

Stockholm
04-21-2019, 09:41 PM
bluemoon, To answer your questions:

1. The infected are just as easy to kill as your average person. While they don't feel pain, they are still affected by injuries. A crushed skull will kill one, of course- but even further, if a puncture in the cardioid comes off, they will 'bleed out' pretty quickly.
2. About infection, its mainly done by ingestion of any sort of bodily fluid. Getting it in a wound will do it as well- anything that gets it in the bloodstream. As for how much, well- only a drop.

As for RP of the week, I'll see if I can't make the posts needed to get this out there. It sounds like fun; and thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Storm
04-22-2019, 03:09 AM
Name: Melanie Chin

Appearance: https://i.imgur.com/70cwvOq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yURXiFb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZMQQJHK.jpg

Melanie is 5’6” with brunette hair and chocolate brown eyes with an athletic build.
Despite the circumstances, Melanie would often be seen in work or comfortable attire.

Equipment: Medical kit including sample swabs/tubes, antibiotic injections, gloves, standard first aid supplies; ground down pipe to a make shift knife in a crafted sheath; 5 foot metal rod used as a walking stick/fighting staff when confronted by unfriendlies; tranq dart gun loaded with the latest experimental serum to test effectiveness against the dangerous ones.

Useful Skills: Melanie worked in the infectious disease control division of the CDC and later the space program. She has a Doctorate in Infectious Disease Control and spent her residency at the Mayo Clinic and her Infectious Disease Fellowship with the CDC before being heavily recruited for the Saturn Program.

Personality: Melanie is friendly and outgoing. She is always ready to talk to people and help out with whatever projects are planned out. She spends time looking for ways to combat the pathogen that infects those which are transformed. Her philosophy is any living thing could be killed, so with this organism that infects the crew, only time and experimentation will finalize this outbreak. That is her ray of hope she clings to in this abandoned station.

Backstory:

Other/Things to Know: Melanie often follows those that venture out outside what is considered safe areas while on supply runs. She is always ready to try her newest serums on the infected to see if there is any reaction. If no reaction and she is attacked, decapitation followed by blood and tissue samples to take back to her makeshift lab usually follows.

bluemoon
04-22-2019, 04:35 AM
https://www.eshorthairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Cute-Girls-with-Short-Hair-Style.jpg

Name: Kara (K.D.) Dayton

Appearance: Standing a little shy of 5'5" and very slender, Kara appears diminutive compared to other girls her height...her preference for black clothing only accentuating this fact. Although rather thin, she is toned from long hours of aerobic training, her strength minimal, but her endurance taking up the slack. Pretty, in an abstract way, her expressive blue-grey eyes are her best feature. With an angular face, just a tad shy of being gaunt, full lips, and slightly large nose, she is not the picture of beauty she might have been before this horrific event took the healthy glow and twenty pounds from her petite frame.

Equipment: Kara always has a supply of collection bags and containers on her person, as well as the necessary gloves and facemask for obtaining 'hot' samples. A small kit carried at her waist contains a scalpel handle with blade, forceps, and hemostats. For protection, she has a folding pocket knife and a home made spear constructed from a long wooden handle with a fixed blade attached.

Useful Skills: Kara is a biologist and performed the daily water testing at the purification plant prior to the outbreak. It was her team which originally put out the warning in regards to the suspected contaminant in the water. Her skillset lies within the cellular structure of things--both plant and animal--on a microscopic level.

Personality: Kara is not the most outgoing person, tending to stay by herself unless approached. She is most at home in a lab and the close quarters of her new 'home' and all the other survivors are a bit suffocating to her. She is more likely to brood then lose her temper, her emotions quite often kept at bay.

Backstory: Kara came to the Halcyon Purification Center shortly after its formation. Her life in ruins, she chose to work at the station to get away from the shambles her life had become. A torrid love affair destroyed her marriage, lost her her dream job, and left her with nothing but an addiction to alcohol. She was destitute and wanted to get away from anything that reminded her of home. She got more than she wished for...

The outbreak destroyed what little faith she had left in humanity. Her team's warnings were ignored and eventually the station's staff fell ill with an infection. Quarantine did little to help and with all transmissions and travel ignored or halted, there was little to do but survive day to day.

Other: Kara frequently goes out on the supply runs...anything to get away from the claustrophobic feeling that ensnares her in such close quarters.

kib5553
04-22-2019, 04:46 AM
Wow, this looks interesting! I better get to work on my character sheet...

Stockholm
04-22-2019, 05:30 AM
I look forward to seeing all of the incoming CS's. Hopefully, we will make a big, happy post-apocalyptic crew!

bluemoon, I tip my hat to you- welcome to the Redlight Crew! Your character is accepted and I think I will make a rather simple catalogue of accepted characters. Looking forward to this!

Yggdrasil_Hugger
04-22-2019, 12:47 PM
Name: Viktor Strobel

Appearance: Viktor has shaggy, pale red hair, a scraggly red beard, blue eyes, and angular features. He stands at 6'2", but he seems smaller. He wears sweatpants, running shoes, and German t-shirts. He has an air of uncertainty about him. He is always looking around. He jumps at sudden sounds.

Equipment: Viktor (shakily) carries a piece of metal pipe, a toolbelt that includes two different sized wrenches, two screwdrivers, one flathead the other Phillips head, a tape measure, some nails, some screws, a small hammer, and a bunch of zipties.

Useful Skills: Viktor is incredibly handy with tools, as he signed on as a part of the maintenance crew. He can open otherwise un-openable things, like broken doors or vents, and he has most of the layout of the entire station memorized. Also, he runs fast.

Personality: Viktor is jumpy, skittish, and paranoid. He feels safer in a group, but his incessant worrying can really grate on people. Though sometimes he is right. He is not very brave, and will most likely just crumble if he got grabbed by one of those things.

Backstory: Viktor arrived at the station last year, after he left Germany. He came to get away from everything on Earth, thinking the station would be safer. Wrong. He now tries to help in any way he can, in exchange for the rest of the survivors helping him.

Other/Things to Know: Viktor has a German accent, speaks pretty good English, though will revert back to German, or at least broken English in times of crisis.

Stockholm
04-25-2019, 05:42 PM
Hello everyone! Sorry for my rather prolonged absence. I have been busy with my academics, but I will do my best to get back into things here!

SaltyIrishman, Viktor is accepted! I feel he and Dennis will get along well.

Otherwise, everything else looks good so far! All of the in-progress sheets look good- ok, well, it's just the one. But still, it looks good! Looking forward to things!

Yggdrasil_Hugger
04-25-2019, 06:31 PM
Danke

Storm
04-25-2019, 10:00 PM
Not to worry about prolonged absenses, life comes first then RP ~hippie~

Had planned on having my CS done by now but been a busy week for me too. Will have done soon, just trying to think of an intetesting back story for Melanie.

Stockholm
04-25-2019, 10:12 PM
No worries! Take as much time as you like. I also award you as much creative freedom as you'd like, within reason of course. So go wild, and have fun!

Stockholm
05-07-2019, 02:06 AM
Hey everyone! Sorry for dropping progress with this one for a lil while, but im back in action and ready to get things rolling again. What do you guys think about setting up the IC thread? We are somewhat light on members, but that is wholly fine and we can always expand to allow more. So I was thinking we kicked things up and started ourselves, yes?

bluemoon
05-07-2019, 02:22 AM
I am for it starting! XD

Stockholm
05-07-2019, 02:47 AM
I think I can probably get it up tomorrow. I'm getting back into things but i'm still hella busy so it may be a little later in the day :')

bluemoon
05-07-2019, 03:32 AM
No rush...just get to it when you can.

Do it now!

No really...is it done yet?

You can slap me any time now. :D

Yggdrasil_Hugger
05-07-2019, 12:05 PM
Cool. I am fully ready to start this thing

kib5553
05-07-2019, 01:11 PM
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait

Before anyone starts anything, here’s my character sheet.

Name: Tori Clinton

Appearance: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSODX7XmWo87fw0Dtrhy9U5uSnaI4-jdVeS1mYwpdQ6JxrZQdvJ
Her normal attire would be a sweater, shirt and trackies, in varying shades of grey.
Equipment: Tori carries around a disorganised assortment of tools, contained in a satchel. She cannot be seen without her trusty weapon - a makeshift slingshot crafted from a hair tie and a modified pipe. She also used a short length of pipe with a small blade attached to the end to create a dagger of sorts.

Useful Skills: With a wide range of technical knowledge, Tori understands most of the systems at the Purification Center and can modify them to operate more effectively.

Personality: When she was younger, Tori was described as a quiet and compassionate girl who felt more at home around machines than people. After being positioned on the Halcyon Purification Center, she was a bubbly girl, always smiling and excited to learn. The outbreak changed this - now, Tori has retreated into herself, hiding her true feelings. She pretends to be the same happy girl - but every so often, her true side is revealed.

Backstory: From a young age, Tori had wanted to escape. Escape from the small English town that was all she’d ever known; escape from the parents who refused to let her fly from the nest. She’d found that escape in technology. To her, nothing was more satisfying than pulling things apart, figuring out how they work, and putting them back together again. A small happiness, a small escape - but her true freedom was granted by an acceptance letter to an engineering school on the other side of the globe.

Without being suffocated by her parents and her home, Tori was finally happy. She had been given everything she’d ever dreamed of... and yet, there was some part of her that yearned to go back to her family and their small house. She tucked that desire away in a crevasse of her mind in which she wouldn’t venture, and the voice was silent.

When an opportunity arose to gain work experience at Halcyon Purification Center for six months, she jumped at the chance. Anything to forget about the life she left behind.

And so she leapt into a life far worse...

Other/Things to Know: Another interest of note - Tori's other passion was for acting, a dream she gave up in pursue of technology.

Yggdrasil_Hugger
05-07-2019, 01:14 PM
Hey I have a question. Is there artificial gravity, or is the station big enough to have gravity, or was there artificial gravity but it shut down, or did it just never have gravity. WHat I want to know is if there will the zombies 'n shit floating around

Yggdrasil_Hugger
05-13-2019, 12:18 PM
Hey, is the IC thread up yet?

Yggdrasil_Hugger
05-14-2019, 02:01 PM
All right y'all. Today's the day. I'm leaving tomorrow, so today's me last day before I return in August. So, so long, farewell, and Slán.