PDA

View Full Version : [OOC-PG13] Merlin: The Modern Sagas [Multi-RP Contest Winner!]

Lady Celeste
06-03-2023, 06:41 AM
Rated for action/fantasy violence, depictions of occult practices, non-explicit nudity, coarse language/innuendo, and mature thematic elements.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/1200x675/p01lyx0h.jpg

MERLIN
The Modern Sagas

The year is 2025. Centuries have passed since the tragic demise of King Arthur Pendragon, and the world Merlin knew as a young man has changed drastically over the years. The kingdom of Camelot, in which dwelt the heart and soul of a newly-unified Albion, slowly faded into the realms of myth, its people remembered nowadays for such legendary figures as King Arthur, Queen Guinevere, and the Knights of the Round Table. The power of the once-mighty Old Religion, which was drastically diminished even before King Arthur's reign, has long since been reduced to almost nothing, giving way to the advent of scientific progress as well as the introduction of Christianity and other such religious beliefs. Yet despite these changes, Arthur's hopes for the land of Albion were not for naught; Albion, now known to the world as Great Britain, stands proudly as part of a single thriving kingdom in the European continent.

But even in these modern times, remnants of Albion's magical past still survive. Merlin, now an elderly man, currently resides in the small town of Glastonbury near what was once the fabled Lake of Avalon, living in content obscurity despite the legends that have immortalized him in the minds of men. He remains vigilant even to this day, having been told long ago of Arthur's destiny to return from the dead when his beloved Albion should need him again.

That time is approaching fast. Camelot's greatest enemies are fated to return in the modern age, to a world that has long since forgotten about true magic...

...or how to defend itself against it.

Standard rules include no godmoding, no powerplaying, and third-person story format only. In order to ensure literacy and proper handling of these rules, all character requests must include an RP sample for said character(s) of no less than two paragraphs.

Also, this RP is rated PG-13, which means that a limited degree of mature content is allowable. However, excessive gore or excessive sexuality of any kind will not be tolerated, and cybering in particular is specifically forbidden by RPA rules. If in doubt, PM me and I will be happy to help with any issues that may arise.

Regarding inactivity (which I hope will not be a problem), if you are inactive for so long that the RP is slowed down as a result, I will PM you with a warning message. If you do not post or give me some kind of explanation or response within a week after this warning is sent, you will be removed from the RP. Simple as that.

Finally, keep in mind that this RP is set in the modern age, meaning that the original characters from the Merlin series (Gaius, Gwen, etc.) are either dead, reincarnated in modern times, newly resurrected in some form by whatever means, or (in the case of witches/wizards such as Merlin) may still be alive as an elderly man/woman. Because of this, a second profile skeleton has been made specifically for canon characters, but bear in mind that canons must still be played in-character. (e.g. No having Gaius go on a murderous rampage, Morgana offering to braid Merlin's hair, et cetera, without some kind of logical explanation.)

Name:
Magic-User?: (Yes or No)
Place of Origin:
Magic Specialties: (Magic-Users Only)
Non-Magic Powers: (If Applicable)
Weapon(s): (If Applicable)
Non-Combat Talents: (If Applicable)
Appearance:
Personality:
Brief History:
Family: (If Applicable)
Friends: (If Applicable)
Rivals: (If Applicable)
Enemies: (If Applicable)
Romantic Interests: (If Applicable)
Other Notes: (If Applicable)

Past Name: (The canon's name during the original series)
Modern Name: (If different from the canon's Past Name)
Magic-User?: (Yes or No)
Place of Origin:
Past Occupation: (The canon's profession during the original series)
Modern Occupation: (If different from the canon's Past Occupation)
Magic Specialties: (Magic-Users Only)
Non-Magic Powers: (If Applicable)
Weapon(s): (If Applicable)
Non-Combat Talents: (If Applicable)
Appearance:
Personality:
Post-Canon History:
Family: (If Applicable)
Friends: (If Applicable)
Rivals: (If Applicable)
Enemies: (If Applicable)
Romantic Interests: (If Applicable)
Other Notes: (If Applicable)

Factions will be added here as they become applicable.

None yet.

Name: Lucy Graham
Species: Human
Magic-User?: Yes
Place of Origin: Stirling, Scotland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling)
Magic Specialties: Unknown. (Still learning how to use her magic.)
Weapon(s): A switchblade that she typically hides on her person unless prohibited for whatever reason.
Non-Combat Talents: Lucy is a mostly self-taught artist, and frequently draws in a sketchbook she carries.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/415BL8m8FdL._AC_.jpg
https://www.notrecinema.net/images/filmsi/carrie-2--la-haine_435594_21472.jpg
Personality: Lucy has a mainly intuitive, motherly personality, with a strong protective instinct toward those around her. Though usually very shy and reserved, she does tend to demonstrate a more mischievous and fun-loving side around those she trusts.
Brief History: Lucy's father Hugh died some time before Lucy was born. The illegitimate son of a cult leader, Neil Graham, Hugh was eventually saved from their influence with the help of his future wife Diana. But in leaving the cult, he incurred the wrath of their most fanatical members, who would later turn against him and a pregnant Diana for "betraying" their cause. As the couple tried to flee the small town where they'd once lived, Hugh left Diana behind at her parents' house and then quickly drove away in an effort to lure the cult away from her. The ruse worked, but even now the exact circumstances of Hugh's subsequent death are unknown; his body was found at a dead end not far from where his car was abandoned, along with the bodies of most of those who had pursued him. Only his father Neil was not found among the dead.
Whatever the case, Lucy's father is remembered fondly as a hero by her mother's family, and Diana, though not wealthy by any means, dedicated her life afterward to giving Lucy as much of a happy, privileged life as she possibly could, instilling in Lucy from a young age the importance of caring for others. When she came of age, Lucy left her native Scotland for the University of Bristol and found herself effectively alone during this time, until she caught the eye of a small coven of self-proclaimed witches at school. At the time, the self-titled "Goldney Coven" consisted of three members: Janice Taylor, whose impoverished family could barely afford to send her to university in the first place; Eleanor Watson, an aspiring dancer who'd lost the use of her legs in a car accident; and their charismatic leader, Priscilla "Pris" Morgan, who was an openly-lesbian delinquent and a frequent target of malicious gossip by other students.
Lucy first met the Goldney Coven after she became Janice's roommate at Goldney Hall, eventually befriending the coven and accepting Pris' offer to join them. During her time with the coven, Lucy learned about the coven's ritualistic routines, which Pris claimed originated from a centuries-old practice called the "Old Religion". At first the coven's spell-casting was little more than a teenager's fun and games, but shortly after accepting Lucy as a member, Pris and the rest of the coven were ecstatic to find that their spells began working in ways they previously could only dream of. Janice soon became one of the richest students at the school. Eleanor not only had her legs miraculously healed in a matter of days, but soon attracted audiences from all over town at every performance afterward. Lucy discovered she could perform small magic tricks with a simple thought, such as lighting candles or levitating paper clips. And Pris frequently used the coven's newfound magic to get even with those who crossed her.
But the unprecedented success of the coven's magic was not without its dark side. Soon Janice's new, sizable fortune was no longer enough for her; she seemed to want more money every day, and went to increasingly extreme lengths to get it. Eleanor's success as a dancer quickly went to her head, turning her into a haughty diva who barely seemed to acknowledge anyone except for her fellow coven members. Pris' acts of revenge became progressively more cruel, until she was not above seriously harming others for relatively minor slights. And Lucy, having come to enjoy practicing magic with the coven, was slowly withdrawing from everyone else around her, hardly noticing the coven's worsening attitudes.
Even now, things are slowly beginning to reach a critical point.
Family: Diana Graham (mother), Hugh Graham (father, deceased), Neil Graham (grandfather, fate unknown)
Friends:Priscilla "Pris" Morgan (https://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/144/e/2/gothic_girl_by_agathodaimon89.jpg), Janice Taylor (https://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users9/vcountess/thecraft/rochelle--large-msg-113728538218-2.jpg), Eleanor Watson (https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cvfZ7xfiYqs/TawJptVd2vI/AAAAAAAABJs/7ekYBJUcaxA/s1600/dianna+agron+gg.jpg)
Rivals: None yet.
Enemies: None yet.
Romantic Interests: None yet.
Other Notes: MAY BE UPDATED LATER

DannyPhantom
06-04-2023, 11:39 PM
So, what are the limitations on species we can play? Do they have to be from the Merlin series specifically?

Lady Celeste
06-05-2023, 05:02 AM
Not necessarily, but I would advise to research any species that has already appeared in the series before joining as said species. Species that have never appeared in the series will be reviewed/accepted on a case-by-case basis.

Lady Celeste
06-10-2023, 10:53 PM
Bumping

Nightwing95
08-22-2023, 07:36 PM
Hello.

I know I am probably two months to late on this, but after reading this I got struck with the nostalgia bug and I would absolutely love to see the RP pick up steam regardless.

Bawsegawd
01-18-2024, 09:40 AM
is this still active and open

Hannelorian
01-18-2024, 06:17 PM
Hi Bawsegawd, Welcome to RPA, we're so glad you joined us! I'm Hannelorian a Roleplay Moderator. Feel free to call me Hanne if you'd prefer. It looks like this RP is a little bit older and inactive at the moment, though while I have your attention...

I'll go ahead and go through some common questions here!

Why is your username in yellow?
The yellow tint indicates that you're still a brand new member to the forum community. Note that there are some limitations to your access, such as limited number of PMs (about 2, so you may wish to clear your inbox after you've made your replies.) and the inability to view member profiles.

When will I be upgraded to a full member?
Typically it's about 10 contributing posts, but the quickest path is to simply be active, post and engage with the community. Whether that be in RPs or in our social sections. Go on, say hello!

What's the first thing you should do as a new member?
Take a quick read and familiarize yourself with the rules (https://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81910) of our forum. I know, I know, rules already? These rules are straight forward and designed to protect all members of the RPA community. They're for your benefit, I promise!

How do you get to know members of the forum?
Easy! Take a spin through Downtown (https://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)! This is our social hub, get to know folks through fun and silly games, or join in on a conversation.

Where can you go to talk about your hobbies and interests?
Well that would be our Entertainment section (https://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)!

Wanna join a new or existing group RP?
Check out this place (https://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=77)!

Prefer to start to smaller and hone your skills in a 1 x 1?
This (https://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=304) is the place for you.

Whew, with that out of the way...

Feel free to talk to some of the other recent newbies in this section, and don’t be shy about PM-ing one of the moderators or other forum staff if you have a question or need some help finding writing partners. Here's a quick guide to what the colors mean:

Green: RP or Social Mods
Purple: Admin
Blue: Global Mod
Pink: Technical Mod (for site related issues)

Enjoy!