Thread: Interest Check

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Sci-Fi, Dystopian,Post -Apooc, Cyberpunk, Dark Fantasy. Supernatural. Any mash up of the previous.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Interest Check

As the title suggests I am reaching out to gauge if there is any interest for a Frozen Earth / Post Apocalypse style group RP.

The Premise (Please remember this is just a very rough outline);

Setting: New Galiano (Fake Vancouver)

Landscape: The world was as you know it, basically, when the flash-freezing started. There were a few new years of cellphones, drones got cooler ... oh, they cured cancer. Tell that to the people still standing in Time Square, heh. As you can imagine, not much has changed since as far as the actual landscape. Bodies of water are frozen solid on the surface, even the oceans. Permafrost covers most of the open land, and with the ground frozen down to ten feet, there is no vegetation left, just the fossilized skeletons of trees and bushes that have managed to stand up to the winds, which tear constantly across the frozen planet. Cold and wind have eroded most standing structures, with some cities literally toppled, and innumerable smaller towns wiped from the map by the combination of elements. That which remains is jagged, skeletal, encased in ice and frost. The safest places are those built underground; mines, caves, subway stations, old silos, underground parking, anything built 10 feet or more underground is mostly safe from the cold and the wind, though air exchange will obviously mean heating is necessary.

Technology: Now, you probably guessed that most technology isn't built to function in sub-zero temperatures ... not for long. Lubricants and fuels freeze, metal shrinks and warps and becomes brittle, chemicals don't react as quickly as they should, if they do at all. Any vehicle not designed or modified for use in the cold will sputter out and fail just shortly after you're blown off the open road by the winds. Guns will work fine indoors, but after a few minutes in the cold they're likely to jam and fail unless they're kept warm. Anything with moving parts, open spaces for condensation to gather and freeze, anything not proofed against the cold has or will succumb to it.

HOWEVER! Jerry rigging, homebrewing, and making weird shit in your basement is still a thing, especially since everyone now lives in one kind of basement or another. Heating rigs for guns, cars, and people, pedal generators, methane-fuel generators and converters (ew ...), home-made flamethrowers and tazer gloves and sawblade-launchers ... if your twisted mind can conceive of it, and you have the skills, you can make or find it somewhere. Whether it works or not is another story, I'm sure, frozen in the ice, are a thousand and one people who thought they were buying a working jet-pack. Again, all moving parts, liquid systems, etc, are unlikely to work in the cold.

Society: There are a few kinds of people left in the world. You've got your colonists; people who think the best bet is sticking together. They usually take over large spaces, tend to be run by the militant sort, if not the downright crazy sort. A few are just collections of fighters who have decided everyone else can fuck off, but otherwise these are your safest bets if you need help, or a warm place to spend the night ... just don't expect a warm welcome, outsiders are famous for trouble. You've got your scavs, those who spend more time outside than in. They know all the little secret places you can hide in to keep warm for a night, make their money pulling wires and working stuff out of the frost and selling it to ... well, everyone else. You've got your Loners ... like scavs, they stay away from colonies, but more because they hate people, and just want to live out their days in peaceful purgatory. Then you have your assholes. Assholes come in a variety of shapes and sizes; Some set up underground near colonies and leech off them, some convert vehicles for the cold and roam around in caravans looking for stragglers and scavvers. Some even operate whole colonies that operate on a 'do what you want and stab anyone who argues' type of structure ... not a great place to meet new people, but whatever.

Please post your interest or questions below.

Thankyou

Nyx
    Last edited by Nyxanthi; 05-23-2024 at 07:37 PM. Reason: punctuation

Military, Slice of Life, Anime Fandoms
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

How about merchants?
    "Good men mean well, we just don't always end up doing well."

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

They'd prefer the warmth, I would think. Let the scavs bring it in. Who's going to be out there to buy, after all?

My concern would be about the oxygen. No surface plants, no holes in the sea ice....
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

Sci-Fi, Dystopian,Post -Apooc, Cyberpunk, Dark Fantasy. Supernatural. Any mash up of the previous.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i have a worldbuild already made up, with more deets and room for more ideas..but i didn't want to throw up a thread without checking to see if there was even any interest in the concept...as stated this is a very very rough outline. there have been ice ages before, plants dont have to be regional to provide oxygen.
    Last edited by Nyxanthi; 05-24-2024 at 03:18 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by omgLYNX View Post
    How about merchants?
    the only way for merchants to be viable is to team up and run large mobile caravans as a group between settlements, this also provides work for Mercs. because where there are moving goods there are pirates.

means each time the caravan comes in its like a miniature event for the settlement. they stay a few days to a week and move on.

edit; actually thinking about it it wouldnt be a small thing , it would be a huge event, a failed caravan supply could be the outright death of a smaller settlement.
    obviously each outpost would have their local tradesmen.
    Last edited by Nyxanthi; 05-24-2024 at 03:28 AM.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxanthi View Post
    i have a worldbuild already made up, with more deets and room for more ideas..but i didn't want to throw up a thread without checking to see if there was even any interest in the concept...as stated this is a very very rough outline. there have been ice ages before, plants dont have to be regional to provide oxygen.
    True, but I don't see how any plant life is surviving if the surface is covered in ice, unless its in underground tube farms.
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

Dark Lord of the Gif
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

what about animal life?
    Spoiler: Cuteness 

Wanna laugh at a drunken fool? Click Here!
    Watch me Stream or catch old streams here

Military, Slice of Life, Anime Fandoms
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dnafein View Post
    what about animal life?

I would expect
    "Good men mean well, we just don't always end up doing well."