Page 103 of 103 FirstFirst ... 53101102103
Results 1,021 to 1,027 of 1027

Thread: The Appalling Strangeness of the Mercy of God [M - Hannelorian x DuchessLivilla]

The Grey Lady
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi, all the things.
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Mercy. Arabella had briefly wondered what had prompted her sister to make such a doting compliment regarding her finery. Mercy must have heard from Ingrid and passed the note along, preventing Alexandra from making the same mistake as she had. That girl was getting good, that thought alone brought a smile to her face. As did her sister's compliment. Naturally, Alex handled the swift exchange of information with all of the class and grace that Arabella herself might afford. A part of Arabella wondered if she actually had taught Alex anything, or if everything was a unique creation of her own identity.

The idea of serving herself was not something that was entirely comfortable for Arabella. In fact in her entire life she had never served herself anything more than taking some toast from the center of the breakfast table. She simply did not do. Though she had known this was, occasionally, something that Arthur and Alexandra did in their home. It could stay that way quite happily. But the small saving grace was simply how doting Christian was being this evening, he did everything for her and for once Arabella felt taken care of, thought of. It was a nice change from the ordinary.

It was rather astonishing if one considered just how young Arabella was, and certainly how young Alexandra was by comparison. And yet they sat as the two most powerful women in the Kingdom. The memories of their parents dinner table were incredibly distant now. But now they were acting as a family, something Arabella thought would have most certainly made both of their parents beam with pride. And just maybe Father would have been kinder to Alex had he known that one day she would be the Queen-in-waiting.

Arabella chimed in as appropriate. "Thank you, my darling for assembling us for this most happy meal. It is a delight for us to be united in presence as well as spirit." When Christian finally disclosed it was Kemp that taught him how to carve, she mentally filed that away, noting to ensure he received a little bit extra in his bonus for getting through that particular education and still serving the family. The poor man must have been an absolute fright.

The story the King told was a rather sweet one, and Arabella couldn't help but laugh at its retelling. Arthur too seemingly taken with the story, one he had forgotten from his youth. Indeed he had always been a curious child, one full of wonder. Especially if he was told he should not go somewhere, or should not do something. That simply made him strive to do it all the more. A healthy sense of rebellion he felt had done his soul good. And while he learned quite a bit, he probably wished he had seen more, or been more involved in his father's life. Something which he supposed could have hurt him, would he have become more like his father? Or less? Was it the distance between them that truly allowed Arthur to form his own ideas and notions of independence? It must have been.

"The Italians are entirely too soft with their children, so much cooing." Arabella commented off handedly. Yes, she knew Alexandra would be a far more hands on mother, as Arabella intended to as well, but still, the Italians in her mind, seemingly gave in to their emotions far too quickly and publicly. But that could well have just been Arabella's general disposition. While she was certainly more in agreement with Alex than ever before, she still kept some of her own beliefs.

"When you were growing up, I imagine it was you would often be caught under tables or your father's desk, mother." Arthur had a soft smile on his face, the lightest trace of a giggle on his tongue. The entire evening thus far had been relaxing, and even he melted into the notion of family. While Arabella was the farthest thing from his mother, there was an odd satisfaction in thinking for just this little bit they were a complete family of parents and children. He simply missed his own mother, he longed for those brief few good years.

Arabella began to laugh and shook her head, her hand waving in the air to indicate this wasn't quite right. "Hardly." She sighed and then inhaled deeply. "It always Alex. You see, if I was stuck in a meeting with my father whilst hidden, I would have been so dreadfully bored with what the men discuss. And I was too young to understand. Alex on the other hand... like a sponge as a child." It was true, and for many that wasn't an attractive quality, and Arabella couldn't help but wish she had been a little more like Alex and paid attention. "It wasn't until I was married that I learn how handle those sorts of situations."

It wasn't until she was married to Richard that Arabella learned to engage men in stimulating conversation over things she wasn't always allowed to speak upon, but Richard always gave her the space. And if Richard gave her that space, every other man did too. That was Richard's power when he was alive, and that was the power that propelled Arabella to the top of the food chain. That is what made her dangerous. "No, I was the one who made our father nearly pull all of his hair out because I'd gone off and caused some terrible mischief around the house. No one was safe from me, truly!" Arabella was of course joking. "But it certainly was more fun." She admitted to this, also in a light hearted and perhaps joking kind of fashion. Arabella had been able to let go of her anger for the time being and simply enjoy being around the family table.

"But... all of this is trivial if..." Arabella turned her gaze to Christian, the look on her face was playful but knowing. "I would adore hearing a tale of a young Christian." For all Arabella knew about her husband, including the fact that the story he had just told actually happened in 1844 in honor of a diplomatic visit from the Duke of Orleans, her father had told her the story many-a-time, but she feigned ignorance - Arabella really didn't know much of the good from Christian's childhood. He adored his mother, hated his father, idolized his grandfather. "Forgive me if I am too forward, but I must think you too have a little something to share, no?" Arabella felt she was walking on eggshells with what should have been a very simple request.

"Please father, do indulge us!" Arthur even added in, also smiling so broadly. It all felt so normal, so absurdly normal that it seemed... unreal, absolutely confusing and out of known character.
    Thanks to Hayabusa/Ryoku for the set.

Historical 1x1, Sci-fi, Horror, AU
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

The King watched this little scene; Arthur asking the Queen about such things and the Queen confessing it was Alexandra would would have done such, and filed it away as yet another bit of proof than the Princess was wicked. Still, he held back from any comment on the matter. "How like her. Even as a child...getting involved in matters she should not. Arthur was a Prince and curiously is good for a boy...that little harlot had no business in such things. Learning and education are not for girls...We see before us what happens when a woman has ideas. A sponge indeed!"

Still, he said nothing and merely smiled across the table at his son, or glanced to Arabella beside him as they talked. He glanced, once or twice, at Alexandra, and each time found her watching him, as if studying a specimen in a jar, something she had yet to make sense of. He found her most unnerving and tried to avoid meeting her gaze.

"About me?" He chuckled, "Well if you insist...As you know I was an only child, unfortunately. I think I would have liked siblings. A brother especially, as a playmate."

Across the table Alex fought very hard and just managed to win, the battle not to snort. Christian would have hated siblings, even a younger sister -the least threatening to his rank- would have been too much to bear. She would not have put it passed him to have throttled any siblings in their cradles. He needed to be the centre of attention. He would not have been able to bear having anyone take focus from him, especially a brother who was next in line and would, if he died, take his place.

Christian, looking at Arthur and smiling, did not catch Alex's brief change of expression, luckily for everyone there however, and carried on, "I am sure my parents tried for more children. An heir and spare etc but they were never so blessed. My mother always said," he chuckled and glanced at his wife, "That God did not grant her any further children as perfection had already been achieved in myself. Of course," he waved his hand, feigning modesty, "I do not believe that for a moment. Sadly they were just not blessed to have more...I thought I should be the same until I met you, my dearest," he kissed Arabella's cheek and dropped a hand to her stomach.

"Our little Henry. A brother for Arthur," he chuckled, "Perhaps too big of an age gap to play soldiers with but who knows. The old play fort is still about in the grounds, though it needs some work. Perhaps," he looked at his son, "We might make a project of it. Get it up and running again for my Henry and your lad to play in in the future. Though after the winter has passed! I do not relish the idea of digging and such in this weather."
    "Ye mustn't be afraid to ask for help. Pride is a good thing, my girl, but it will kill you in time." - Granny Weatherwax

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Arabella considered it probably best for the world that Christian had no siblings. Even if they had survived a youth with Christian, there was always the possibility they turned out worse than he had, somehow more vile, more wicked and cruel. The world did not need that, it did not deserve it. If Arabella and Alexandra had a sibling, what would that have been like? A third to their crew. And if it had been a boy, Arabella would have been relegated to nothingness in the much the same way Alexandra had. It always seemed to be complicated. Family dynamics were often difficult and in their lives there wasn't much else that could have made them worse off.

"If you expect us to argue with your mother." Arabella began as she gave Christian a knowing but entirely playful look. She was damn good at playing the part. "Of course she was right, whether you believe it or not." Arabella shook her head and offered a bit of a laugh. "After all, it isn't just anyone who gets to be God's anointed representative. That inherently makes you at least a little bit more perfect than the rest of us." Arabella didn't believe any of it either, but while they were all playing happy family it seemed appropriate to indulge him, at least a little bit.

The Queen moved to rest her hand on top of Christian's as it fell to her stomach. Her cheeks glowing a warm red when he kissed her. Yes, she could even will herself to blush when she desired. "I think the two of you fixing up that old play fort come the warmer months is a brilliant idea. Don't you, Alex?" Arabella turned her attention toward her sister, a bright smile still on her face despite everything that had happened and all of the information she had just learned. "Arthur darling, are you excited for a sibling? I'm sure you never thought this would happen." Arabella commented as she ate another small bit from her plate, Christian having given her more food.

Did I ever imagine that my father would force my mother to an early death, only to remarry a woman nearly half his age, who happens to be the once notoriously cruel older sister of my beloved and have my father's child that he can raise to take my position? Why ever would I have thought of all that. Of course Arthur said none of that. Though he desperately wished he could have. "I admit I never thought God would grace me with a sibling, but I also never thought God would grace me with a wonderful wife and two beautiful children." Arthur smiled at Alex warmly. "I suppose I'll have to learn from Arabella and Alex." Arthur did not in fact wish to learn from that, but it seemed the right thing to say. Arabella was for most of her life, rather monstrous in behavior toward her sister. "Or Alex and Vicki as they grow." There, a more positive example of a relationship that as yet had not been tainted.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Alexandra smiled warmly and raised her glass of wine in a toast. "Indeed. A fine project for you both. I am sure little Sasha will enjoy playing with his cousin, grandfather and papa in it in summers to come. It's tradition, after all, is it not, for the Princes to go into some form of the military."

She rested her hand on Arthur's and smiled fondly at him, adoringly, as if he had hung the moon for her. "I myself never tire of seeing my husband in his uniform, and watching him command his troops on their parades. There is something quite...romantic about it all."

Christian chuckled, "All the nice girls love a sailor...or a solider, as it were. Arthur you must order a new uniform, will full honours, for the baptism. It will be a fine image for the people to see. Their beloved commander." The King poured more wine for them all and smiled indulgently at his bride, "Ah dearest, I know you would never disagree with my sainted mother. I just wish she was here now. She would have loved you. Oh, what joy it would have been to my old heart to see you both. Alas, God had other plans..."

"Still," he nodded again, "You are quite right. A sibling for my dear boy, at last. The house shall be full of children soon enough and we shall never know grief again. And you too," he nodded to his son, beaming. "I cannot wait to see little Vicky grow up...She shall be quite spoiled, I should warn you," the King laughed. "I intend to be an indulgent grandfather. I know you and the Princess prefer a less...gilded life, more simple, but for my first granddaughter I shall resort to what we know!" He smiled happily, clearly imagining the grandfatherly spoiling of the new arrival. "Would it not be something if her first word was 'grandpapa'?"

Alex, who treated everything from the King with suspicion, wanted, with all her heart -mainly for her husband- to believe the King had changed and only wished to be a doting grandfather to his grandchildren -even if he made no mention of her son in that matter- she could not shake the underlying feeling of his words.

The idea of her daughter's first word being not papa or mama but linked to the King put her on edge, as did his talk of spoiling and such. While she knew it was entirely natural for grandparents to spoil their grandchildren, often in a way they had never done with their own children, she also distrusted this notion of Christian's...spoiling had two meanings, after all.

What if he meant both...Yes, material things pertaining to the little one's rank, but also spoiling as in making the child his creature and not her parents. Ensuring the child was loyal to him, nor her father?

Of course, she also felt she was being foolish. The man clearly, genuinely, loved little Victoria, and she, as her mother, should cherish that and try to ignore the possible grimness...Shouldn't she?

"It would indeed," Alexandra said, smiling and raising her glass in a toast. "You shall be 'Grandpapa England' to our children I am sure."

Christian paused then laughed. "Ah, Princess, you have a memory like no other. I called my own grandfather that as a little boy. He was King of England, after all, so it made sense to me...Yes, yes I would like that too. I shall soon be in my grey hairs, after all!" He winked playfully then raised his glass too, "To the future of our family."
    "Ye mustn't be afraid to ask for help. Pride is a good thing, my girl, but it will kill you in time." - Granny Weatherwax

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Arabella listened quietly, picking at her food and raising her glass when it was time, she joined in the cheer and the celebration. A part of her feeling entirely lost at sea as Christian waxed ever so poetically about this granddaughter. It was endearing to see him so keen, so gentle and loving, so entirely kind. Arabella didn't even question his motives, as it seemed to her there was no ulterior, at least not in the short term. Of course Christian was convinced he would win the coming war, and the children would be returned to him, but that was aways off. But with the world as it was, and in this moment with all of them getting along, was a war truly necessary? Couldn't they all just get along as they were. Was Christian still so mad at his son and his daughter-in-law? Arabella's own sister?

"You are still young yet, darling." Arabella chimed in as the King commented on how soon he will be grey. "Even for Grandpapa England." Arabella laughed lightly, the broad smile still painted on her face and the gleam apparent in her eyes. The seething sea of jealousy that ebbed beneath the Queen's placid exterior was held at bay. Why couldn't it have been her own daughter? But no, to ask such questions only brought pain and suffering. There was no sense in going deeper into the thing.

"I do believe it is the job of grandparents to spoil the children anyway." The Queen finally commented on the notion of Christian's indulgences of the child. Note, child, not children. Victoria, not Alexander. "And why wouldn't we? She's ever so precious. She deserves just a bit of spoiling." Arabella raised the glass of wine to her lips and drank from it, though not too deeply of course, she remained ever the lady. Perfectly composed.

Arthur, for his part, seemed rather amused by the entire situation. Though perhaps he had for the moment stopped questioning it all and simply allowed it to happen. A thought, however, did occur to him as they discussed his grandmother and the role of grandparents in spoiling the children, etc... "Did the two of you know your grandparents? It occurs to me I've never heard either of you speak of them." This gave Arabella a brief moment of pause as she contemplated them.

"I'm hardly sure if Alex would remember them. We were so young." Arabella turned to gaze at her sister, her hands resting on her stomach as the baby seemed to be kicking up quite a storm this evening. "Our father's parents lived with us for a few years. The Marquess, as he insisted we call him, none of that grandfather bit for him, was a rather strict man. Grandmama on the other hand." Arabella giggled a bit as she recalled the woman. "She loved a drink and a gossip. Oh the stories she would tell, and how on earth our father let her tell them to us." The Queen was genuinely fond of those memories, they were a happier time, at least in retrospective it seemed to be a happier time.

"You must tell us more, mother." Arthur said with an inquisitive look upon his face. Arabella smirked and shook her head. "I hardly think it's appropriate for the table." The Queen rolled her eyes, at least a little bit enjoying herself. "Come now." Arthur insisted and so Arabella thought. "She loved the one about the famous incident at the Duke of Somerset's birthday party. Perhaps infamous is a better choice of word." Arabella wondered if Christian would put a stop to her, or if perhaps he was simply so blinded by his brief joy that he didn't care much about what she said. "He had about seven drinks too many, and lost his supper all over his mistress. Right there are the table in front of all of his guests. Apparently Grandmama had quite the fit of laughter so much so that the Marquess had to escort her from the room."

Arthur and Arabella joined one another in a burst of laughter, both obviously having known the man who had passed nearly a decade ago. It seemed rather natural for them as a family to simply laugh and enjoy each other's company. "Grandmama hated the winter months, too cold for her. Though the thought of leaving England was abhorrent to her, so she suffered, largely not in silence either. But we did love her."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Alex smiled as Bella told the tales. She had little memory of their grandparents, having been too young at the time and then they had both died within quick succession of each other before she was of an age to really notice their sudden disappearance. She did remember, her parents being clad in black for some time though and wondering why.

When she thought of them, grandmother especially, she got the heavy scent of lily-of-the-valley -favoured by the lady and many of her time- and the feeling of powdery kisses on her cheek. That was about it. She had even less of grandfather...cigar smoke maybe. She half wished they were still here, as she did with her parents, and half of her was happy they were not. She and Arthur had 'new' and dangerous ideas and they were deeply entrenched with the old. They would have had no support there and likely only more trouble.

She smiled along though as Arabella told tales and then, judging this a good time to attend to the children -it having been more than an hour, courses going on for so long in these dinners, even ones supposed to be simple- so she gently excused herself with, "I shall just pop and see to the little ones. Bella is quite right...I remember so little, I shall leave this to her!" Before she rose and slipped from the room.

The corridors were largely empty; the court having been dismissed and therefore not there to be loitering and whispering. She passed a few maids and servants, all of whom stopped and bowed to her, as well as the odd official of the Household, who likewise stopped and bowed. Despite knowing the man was currently banished from Windsor, Alex still kept an eye out for the King's Russian dog, half expecting him to sidle out from a tapestry and make some threat.

Or worse be in with the children.

Nothing of the sort happened though and she found her children fast asleep, watched over Mary in the nursery, and then Mercy and the guards taking their supper in the drawing room as she entered. She waved a hand to stop them from rising and smiled, "Please, ignore me. I am not here," she whispered, winking. She had no wish to ruin what Christmas they were being allowed here.

Within 30 minutes she was back in the dining room, taking her seat for the desert course. This was as lavish as any Royal Banquet. Christian loved the highly designed, moulded creations that were in style with jellies, ices and cakes always being a feature. There were ten or so brought in, variations in colours and styles but all heavily decorated and sculpted, with gold leaf, tiny sugar flowers, spun sugar, candied fruits and nuts and so on.

Alexandra and Christian were for once in agreement. Both had a love of sweets, for their sins. Something oft denied Alex when she lived with her sister; the cruel tease being she was 'fat enough' to go without. Now she had no such bar and Arthur saw to it she had whatever she wished on her plate.

The King, not to be outdone by his doting son, made a great show of going overboard and actually feeding Bella from his own fork and making much of her. Still, it looked less like a loving husband and more like someone feeding a child but no one said a word. Unlike the natural affection that Arthur had in him...everything Christian did appeared to be an act, forced or done wrong. Beyond cruelty, of course. He had that down to a fine art.

The King was also happily chatting about Bella's story. "I remember your grandmother well. A fine woman!" He agreed, nodding. "You take after her, I think, in looks and colouring...though naturally she was not your equal," he grinned. "As for the Duke, well, he was a sorry state. We all knew he should drink himself to death soon enough. And had the man had his wife there, where she should have been, things would have been far better!"

He laughed and shook his head. "As you know, I do not hold with gentleman having their mistresses at such dinners...What a man does is his own affair, of course, he may go to the Devil in whatever way he wishes, but I will not have such things banded about in public." He chuckled and took another drink. "Speaking of, dear boy," the King nodded to his son, "Do you have a mistress? Ah, you do not need to be shy about it if you do! It's good for a Prince to have such. I am sure the Princess would agree and not think ill of you, would you not, my dear?"

Alexandra smiled back, giving every impression she was thrilled by the question and implication. "Of course, I would. As you say, it is only right for a Prince to have such things. If my dear husband takes a mistress, I shall be the most happy for him; an unemployed man is so dull, after all." Under the table however, her free hand squeezed Arthur's in a show of comfort. She loved and trusted him, and knew him too well, to know he would likely never take a mistress.

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Arabella, unlike her husband or her sister was not one for desserts and sweet treats. In fact she rather hated them, preferring all things savory. But when the King fed her, much like a child, she indulged him and smiled and laughed. Eating from his fork, at least he was showing her some degree of outward affection that was, for the most part, appreciated. The Queen had always been conscious of her weight and appearance, and thus she trained herself into her distaste for desserts something which had been reinforced by her late husband. Richard, while he found his wife beautiful, regardless of her weight, likely at times actually preferring she gained a small bit, would defer to his wife and would pass on the after meal treats if she did.

Even while Alex left the table the conversation carried on rather merrily. There was an odd ease, as though Arthur and Christian had slipped back into old patterns that had been long abandoned, but returned as if it were only yesterday. Of course it would be Christian who risked turning the conversation sour with the talk of mistresses. A topic Arabella loathed. Arabella knew Christian had them, hell, he had the last one executed not two weeks before. A cruel act that Arabella should not have delighted in, but she could not deny her distaste for the woman. What audacity to assume so much of Christian's love that would make her the next Queen? A seat Arabella had no intention of abdicating.

Richard of course never once took a mistress in his marriage to Arabella, finding himself so in love with her, and she with him that there was need for extramarital activity, oddly akin to Alex and Arthur. But that had not always been the case, Richard had mistresses in all of his previous marriages, never ones he cared for, for very long at least. They were objects for his use and at the time it was fashionable to carry about a little coterie of girls. Arabella never had to worry about him, Christian on the other hand. He had a variety of mistresses and low life's that he would satisfy his urges upon. And while Arabella should have been grateful for the reprieve, she was deeply resentful of Christian for carrying on a she did. The Queen could see Arthur getting slightly squeamish in his seat, uncomfortable.

"We should be grateful to the mistresses really, they give us so much of our time back." Arabella offered a smile and a chuckle. Though Christian knew full well how she hated them, but Arabella never objected or attempted to interfere, instead letting him do as he pleased without her open defiance or annoyance. Arabella also knew that under no circumstances would Arthur ever take a mistress. He loved his wife far too much for that, he had no desire or inclination to step outside of their marriage.

The greatest irony of all was that Arabella was in fact the one stepping outside of her marriage, having consummated her affair with the Priest only hours before. Though no one would ever doubt her faithfulness or her piety. The world only saw a woman absolutely besotted with her husband.

Arthur squeezed his wife's hand in return as he paused for a moment, knowing he might well challenge the peace of the evening with his response. "I do not have a mistress, father." Arthur said rather flatly, in a tone that spoke of it was an obvious answer, an answer surely his father already knew. "And while Alexandra would never attempt to prohibit it, I have no plans of ever having a mistress." Arthur thought for a few moments more. "I have all I need with Alexandra, more than I could need. I have no desire to change it." He smiled softly and looked at Alex with a deep love for her in his eyes.

"Are you not content with mother? Does she not meet your needs?" Arthur looked at Arabella with sympathy, he pitied her to some degree, knowing full well his father was horrific when it came to her, love and other women. Arabella however, was not pleased with this turn of discussion. "I love your father the way he is, and would not wish to change any part of it." Arabella smiled brightly and gazed at Christian, hoping, just hoping that this could be let go. If she could, Arabella would have come across the room and smacked Arthur, but she simply sat, perfectly calm and poised.

Page 103 of 103 FirstFirst ... 53101102103