“I did tell you that I’m working tonight” Zula pointed out, but in a more conciliatory tone than before. Now that her blood had cooled, she couldn’t really blame Froste for forgetting. Not after all the other shit that had gone down between them today, and everything they’d done in the time since. Or perhaps it was her outfit throwing them off. Zula hadn’t missed the way Froste had eyed her attire, and she didn’t really look like she was dressed for any sort of traditional labor, by design. Regardless, she waited patiently as Froste shuffled past her, before pushing the front door closed behind them.

Once the latch clicked into place, Zula turned to face her guest again. She folded both of her arms across her chest and leaned against the hallway wall, her expression contemplative. For a brief moment, she considered excusing herself, citing work as her excuse. Zula didn’t need to clock on and off at specific times, the way most people did, but Froste didn’t know that. Then they called her name, and Zula promptly decided against it. A few extra minutes wouldn’t make any real difference to her plans, and lying now would only bite her in the ass later. She needed to make this work, and if Froste was ready to talk, then hearing them out was the least she could do.

Zula hadn’t been expecting an actual apology, just because she wasn’t in the habit of giving them, either. But Froste had always been overwhelmingly polite, and it appeared that this was no exception. Her expression softened at their words, in much the same way her tone had earlier. “We do” she conceded, before chuckling softly at the joke that followed. Zula turned her head away from Froste, then. Her eyes roamed the blank wall opposite, and she chewed on her lower lip absentmindedly, as she considered where to go from here. Thankfully, it didn’t take her long to come up with an answer.

“My employers don’t really care how long my work takes me, so long as I get the results they’re after. If everything goes according to plan, then I’ll only be gone for a couple of hours, and I’ll still get paid a sizeable amount.” Zula knew her words were frustratingly vague, but the last thing she wanted was to scare Froste away again. If they knew the full story, they’d probably think she was some sort of psycho, and…well, that assessment wouldn’t be completely unfair. “Tomorrow, we’ll use some of that money to get you your own phone and key, so there’s no risk of you getting locked out in future. And maybe a couple more sets of clothes, so you don’t have to wear the same thing every day. We can talk about your new magic then, too.”

While Zula spoke, something else occurred to her. She hadn’t given any thought to how Froste was supposed to feed themselves while she was gone. There weren’t many groceries left in the fridge - they were another thing she’d planned on buying with her upcoming paycheck - and she wasn’t sure how much Froste knew about cooking, anyway. “I didn’t really arrange anything for dinner, but there’s a decent kebab place just down the street. If you’re willing to brave the rain again, you can use my card.” She pulled out her wallet and flipped it open, before pulling the piece of plastic from its sleeve. Zula held it out in offering, then. An olive branch in disguise.

“All you’ve gotta do is tell the workers there that you want to pay by card, and then wave it over the scanner when they hold it out to you. Like you saw me do with my phone yesterday.” She was struck by the urge to ask if they could handle that, but in a rare display of maturity, she resisted. The last thing either of them needed was another argument. Besides, they’d proved themselves capable of surviving at least one afternoon without her. “When I get home, I’m probably going to collapse straight into bed, so I’ll see you in the morning.”

Feeling considerably better about their situation now, Zula excused herself. The question of makeup completely forgotten, she bade Froste farewell, before turning for the door. Once she had double checked that she had everything, she slipped out onto the landing, before pulling it closed behind her. Then Zula started down the stairs, heading towards the front doors, and everything that waited beyond.