Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leper Colony: The Island of the Lost

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Default Leper Colony: The Island of the Lost

ISS Clarkson Captain's Log, November 10, 2909.

Today we will enter orbit over 13849-3, an inhabitable world 41 light-years spinward from New Haven. Examination of a report filed 23 years ago by a robot probe suggests a possibly illegal human colony on one of the planet's smaller continents, possibly a refugee colony from the war. Our mission is to investigate this world and its colony without revealing ourselves.

The reports we have shows the world is slightly smaller than Earth, with about .9 of standard gravity. 19% oxygen/78% nitrogen mix, with liquid oceans and subtropical where we're going, about 1-2ºC warmer than average.

We've used the two weeks of travel time here to shake down the ship. We're running on a skeleton crew, but Admiral Foster assures me that we've got sufficient numbers for such an "easy job". I certainly hope she's right, any help will be light-years behind us.

I wish we could have waited for the new officers and crew but they're not expected for at least another two weeks. I could really use a good XO and Ops to keep an eye on things, but with our numbers I suppose we can wait until our return.

To keep the crew occupied, we brought on board some extra supplies for the autofabs on Deck 2 to help them dress up their bunks and quarters - within reason. On the way back, I shall have to schedule a round of inspections on the way back to check out how creative my crew has been.

-Capt. Katherine Bell.
    Last edited by Enigma; 11-10-2009 at 07:48 AM.
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dr. Montross stepped into the main lab and slowly surveyed the room. His stooped shoulders, pale skin, and rheumy eyes contrasted sharply with the quick pace of his walk into the room. A much younger man followed a few steps behind, and once in the room stepped to the side to remain as unobtrusive as possible.

Jalen crossed to the holographic imaging tank and analyzer that dominated the center of the room and stepped to the side of the rather burly, bearded middle aged man who was bent over on of the control consoles. "The Captain has said that we are nearing orbit, what are the early scans?"

The bearded tech looked up from his console and said, "Long range scans indicate that the earlier scout report are accurate in the broad range. There does appear to be some minor, but noticeable, air pollution coming from center of the small southern continent consistent with single or dual colony medium industry, mainly mining and smelting. There is no indication of wide spread colonization, even on that continent, but we'll know better after orbital insertion." He paused for a moment before continuing, "Dr. Montross? Did you ask Captain Bell about the possibility of dropping a penetrating geo probe somewhere on the northern continent so we can get a rough idea of the mineral makeup of the planet?"

Jalen stared at the tech for a few moments, seemingly lost in thought before saying, "I put in the request, but no answer was forthcoming. Most likely a decision will not be made until after we have achieved orbit."
    "No matter how trustworthy he seems, never give a monkey your gun."

Better Then Expected
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Mature, Romance, Parody, General
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Roland was in the vehicle bay working. He had just inspected s the jeeps and he was not at all happy with their condition. "Why'd they have to send us these run down death traps?" H picked up a welding torch, flipped down his mask and ignited the flame. He started working on the side and underneath the jeep.

"Lieutenant Gibbs? I have the weapon inventory." One of his security officers, Amanda Jenkins, handed him the information.

"Thats not a lot but that was to be expected." Most of the crew didn't carry firearms on the ship, if anything a stun pistol was what they had. Anything other than that was kept in a storage locker, even then the only ones with access to that were the captain, his second in command Lieutenant Commander Stith Hiridct and himself. "Dismissed." Jenkins saluted then left and he went back to working on the engine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

(not sure if you and I were both working on the jeep, but we are now)

Stith went around to the front of the jeep, and opened the hood. A small array of wires were there, surrounding a large central mass. He reached for his rubber gloves and placed them over his hands.

He pushed the wires aside, to make a clearing. He pulled a small screw driver closer to him with his leg. "I can change the resistors to allow more energy flow to the engine, and make these things able to go faster than they normally should. Only problem is that when I do this, the fusion battery will give out sooner."

He tilted his head up, trying to think of the turnout in distance. "Yea, if I get this thing to be able to just increase a little bit, then we could actually gain a few miles. That is, if the radio isn't blasting, and you don't have the AC going as well. If you do, well you start to lose distance." He pushed Rolands hand out of the way as he brought the screwdriver in.

Stith loosened the small rubber resister, via wiggling it back with the edge of the small flat head. He opened a small cap, a hiss came out. After waiting a few seconds, and the hissing stopped, he closed the cap tightly. "Helps keep from over pressurization. Different gravity on the planet side."

Stith pushed the rubber resistor back in, and scrapped off some excess plastic from the wireing, and fed it into the small slit.

Stith walked round the jeep. "Hey I am going on break soon. Leave the jeep closed. You don't want the new guys coming in to help you out. This thing will take a week to fix then." Stith placed his tools back into his toolbox and picked the large box up. "gotta drop this off. and if I hit anyone it is there fault." Under his breath he spoke to himself, almost whispering to himself. "What is with humans and an alien so messed up, they keep staring at me"

Nothing can't be settled without remembering that in case of emergency is abreviated to ICE. Which Ice can be used to make cool things such as drinks or ice cream. So when asked what element of dragon you want to be with. Ice is the way.

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Post-apocalyptic!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For Aria the whole journey so far had consisted of hiding from everyone inside her quarters, scribbling things down in journals and reviewing profiles of the crew. First up had come the Captain, then she'd gone down the list from there, checking for useful information like past health issues, allergies, brief family histories, all that junk. So far nothing all that interesting had popped up, but that was no surprise. After all, life was full of things that were in no way significant or interesting.

As she stood up, Aria snatched her A3 off the table and slid it gently into the holster at her waist. The gun was more of a safety blanket than it was an effective defense tool. If she had to protect herself from anything other than domestic threats, such as a crazy person loose on the ship, it would be nearly useless. To add to that, not only was the firepower so minimal, but her hands always seemed to shake when she held it... Or did they always do that? No matter, Dorian made Aria feel safe, so she'd kept him on her. Those morons from security had "requested" that she turn it in, probably making sure that no one would be armed if there were a mutiny of some sort, but she'd managed to keep it.

With a swift swing of her arm the files Aria had been looking at were off the table and securely under her arm. She nonchalantly opened the door to her quarters and walked into the frightening outside world. A man smiled and nodded as he passed her. Aria felt her muscles tense up and nearly ran back into the room, only resisting the impulse because of the duties that she knew she would have to perform. The sense of duty was all the kept Aria moving as she headed down the stairs to the deck where the map supposedly said her office, aka the sickbay, was located. Now she just had to get the right door...

Taking a deep breath, Aria entered the sickbay. Inside waiting on her was a group of her favorite things in the universe: living people. Great. Ignoring their smiles and trying to hold in her urge to rush out of the room crying, Aria continued in and placed the files she had under her arm onto a table.

"I need someone to... help me with a file, please?"
    Last edited by ThatGuy; 11-11-2009 at 02:55 AM.
    "I've never let my school interfere with my education." Mark Twain
    The Walking Dead #3 (OOC): https://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46478

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jalen reached to the back of his head drew out the thin umbilical cord that was housed there. He plugged it into the central console and tapped out a quick sequence on the controls. Again he seemed to stare off at nothing for a moment before nodding and disconnecting the cord. It withdrew back into his skull automatically.

While this was going on the tech sidled over to the ensign and said in a low whisper, "It doesn't matter how many time I see him do that, it still creeps me out." The ensign nodded with a small smile and responded, "I know what you mean Kurt."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stith turned back, saying a quick farewell to Rolland. He walked down the halls, turning slowely as he looked at the doors. He looked over to the small numbers. there can't be that many different rooms, can there? Least I don't have to share mine, I don't thing I would be able to stand a new member of this ship, or someone I just don't know to be next to me while I sleep.

He placed his toolbox at the base of his bed. He removed the rubber gloves he had on and placed them onto his toolbox. Stith walked to the side of his bed, lieing on his back, tail pushed to the side. " Wonder what they are serving today?" Stith opened his mouth wide, closing his eyes as he yawned. He rolled off of the bed, landing onto his outstreatched arm and leg.

The room looked a lot bigger than it actually was, it certanly was bigger thanks to his promotion, but for not having to share, it was his peice of home. That is if his home was nice and white. His bathroom had a shower, meaining he wouldn't have to worry about some other person, a hot bath was always nice after being on call most of the day, and when he is somewhat off, as in not about to be called down somewhere. The headset was attched to him, not entirelly but it was with him enough to be considered a part of him.

He swept his hands over his small forehead, and pulled back his ears a little bit. He slowely walked to his door, crouching low to get ready to not hit the door for a change. His legs bent up by his neck, and his body seemed to fill the space two humans owuld if they walked close to eachother. His body shifted left and right, head turning to keep focus on the walkway ahead of him. A small group of shiphands ran by, pushing his leg to the side as means of not getting kneed in the stomach. Two of them, might have been nurses. Seemed to have the small medical kits with them that rudely flailed around with there arms. "Keep your arm still, you will kill somebody with that box!" The two nurses continued on there paths, more than likely getting in the mindset of seeing sick people and worrying about getting sick as well.

As Stith stared at them, he couldn't help but reflect from his last ship. I never did get the results back? What would happen if I got injured. I have never seen how my insides are, let alone a humans. And I know there is something with blood. O, A, c or something. Whats that mean, and what does the letters mean? Opening Animals by Cutting? Screw it, it is time for lunch.

--moments later, at the mess hall.--

Stith moved the small plasic tray down the line. Looking back and forth to make sure he isn't about to push someones tray over. He rose a little bit, legs getting thinner. More strain on his hamstrings though. He looked over the few selections available. "I'll try whatever the red thing is with the round, spiraly things."

"You mean ratoni?"

Stith quietly said, "Sure." As the man gave him some of the ratoni, he grabbed a bottle of water, and left to a small open table. He slowely ate, actually enjoying one of the foods for a change in the past two days schedual. He looked at the other humans eat there varied things and talk with eachother. I think i figured out how to fix the jeeps to have far higher capacity. Add just a smaller sub battery that would [ower the non essential functions, and serve as a backup for the oxygen outputs. Great, here I am off duty and yet I still try to work.

Stith ate slowely as he people watched. His small tail hund off the back of the padded chair, and his legs stretched out under the table. On occasion, his ears would perk different directions involuntariy because of the sound.

Nothing can't be settled without remembering that in case of emergency is abreviated to ICE. Which Ice can be used to make cool things such as drinks or ice cream. So when asked what element of dragon you want to be with. Ice is the way.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

On the bridge, Capt. Bell watched as the planet on the view screen edged a fraction closer.

"Helm, descend to 300 nautical miles and assume a geostationary orbit just within sensor range of the southern continent."
    "Aye aye, Ma-am!"

She watched the helmsmen for a moment as he fiddled with his controls, then glanced over at the Comm station. "Picking up anything Liddy?"
    "Yes ma-am," Liddy replied, swivelling in her chair to face the captain, one hand on her earpeice. "Some radio transmissions, but so far they don't seem to be aware of us."
    "Let me know if that changes."
    "Aye aye ma-am!"

"Ma-am!" interrupted the helmsman, "We've set geosync orbit, elevation 300 nautical miles as ordered."
    "Very good. Maintain until further orders."
    "Aye aye, ma-am!"

Kathy glanced around the bridge. There was a skeleton crew in place, enlisted, covering all the important stations. Even one of Gibb's security men was there, sitting at the fire control station, ready to defend the ship. Hopefully when they got back to New Haven there'd be more crew waiting for them.

"Petty officer of the watch," she called out, glancing behind her at the stoutish man standing at his desk, "please summon the senior officers to the bridge, please." What few we've got, anyway.

"Aye, aye ma-am!" he replied, standing straighter, then touching a control on his desk.
    "All senior officers, please report to the bridge," echoed the man's voice from the lower decks. "All senior officers, please report to the bridge."
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hearing the annoucement, Jalen looked to his Chief Tech and said, "We should be within close sensor range now. Do a full spectrum sweep and route the results to my station on the bridge." Chief Tech Salvadore nodded, and Jalen strode from the lab. The ensign quietly turned and followed him out.

The pair walked quickly to the lift and, after a few moments of silent transit, emerged onto the bridge. Dr. Montross stepped quickly to the science station and attached his umbilical cord. He looked to the Captain and said, "I have the long range scan results. Nothing of particular interest, except that there is no evidence of low-orbit traffic or sattelites. We should have passive scans and general mapping in just a few moments. Authorization to deploy micro-satellites?" The last was asked with a small smirk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As Stith brought up the small plastic tray to get cleaned, a loud announcement was heard. All senior officers please report to the bridge. Stith lightly tossed the tray into the small pile by the washrooms and turned 180 degrees. As a few ship hands went by, some of his lower ranked engineers came by and saluted him.

Stith's head cocked to the side, and he copied there actions. He then dismissed the salute. In a annoyed manner, stith replied to the younger members he had to look over. "Look, you don't have to salute me every time you see me. There is no need to, if you feel the need to, by all means carry on. But I just don't feel the need." He watched as the mens faces that were lit up, seem to droop a bit. Stith tried to be reasuring in his tone, but it came out softer. "Feel free to salute me, and go enjoy your meals. I have to go."

Stith walked quickly, not much of a runner as he swayed too much, and would end up killing somebody by some odd series of events after they trip. He followed a small pathway that lead to the bridge. He had a little walk to go, and crossed his room. I can stand to leave my toolbox. I hope my underlings haven't done anything that will come back to me.

He pulled his skin tight shirt out, releasing the small amount of trapped heat. He let it go as a small puff of cool air hit his chin. "Gotta move, they are probably waiting for me as I stand here."

He moved, lifting one bent leg only a little bit, while rolling on the heal of his other foot, moving like a small child would, except for the swaying and falling down. He advanced to the small flight of stairs, he went up, hitting every third step. "Damn, I hate these things, the corners are just not agreeing with me."

Stith rounded a small turn, and up into the bridge. He saw Captain Bell, and walked slowly to her position, keeping a few yards distance. "Evening Captain Bell. Any reasoon for a sudden call?"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast