Page 1 of 14 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (M) Imaginarium ( Car'mae & Fangl)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default (M) Imaginarium ( Car'mae & Fangl)

Foot steps echo and reverberated around the large tent. So much space for the thumps to bounce to. So many empty cages, needing to be filled. Luca, the master of this circus was a heartless demon. Unfortunately for the few scattered cages containing beings; the afore mentioned is not a metaphor. His one black eye scanned the room. At first glance the eye may have looked brown. Upon further inspection one would see the window into a soulless hell. So black that light seemed to be engulfed in the abyss never to be heard from again.

An evil smile took over his damaged face. The few caged being cowered. If only they had known when they signed up. They had seen an attractive man, blind in one eye with a passion for the animals he took care of.
    When asked about the scar running through his face the Roma would laugh. “It was my first lion.” he would reminisce. “The master hadn’t fed him in a while and I had just been tossed in. Animals only kill is they are scared or hungry. He happened to be hungry.”

His a white baggy shirt hid the crime scene that was the rest of his body. The lion had damaged more than just his face. The milky white eye seemed to give humans a false sense of security as they signed on to be part of the roaming circus. The animals took their breath away and the beautiful beings lured them in. Poor sheep never even had a chance.

This circus was no ordinary circus just as the master was no ordinary man. This circus traveled from town to town in search of poor unfortunate souls. Souls that could not afford the pricey indulgences being sold by the catholic church in the year 1366. You see indulgences are expensive, buying eternal heaven is only for the rich. Buying eternal damnation only cost your soul.

That was what Luca did. He sold his soul some couple hundred years ago in exchange for the ability to talk to animals. As a child he had always loved them. His prostitute mother, of Roman blood, had been impregnated and had given her new born sun up to the circus tiger. Unbeknownst the young mother the tiger had recently had cubs. She had taken the little soft bundle of pink flesh and raised him as her own.

His skin had turned a startling bronze color as he aged. The sun would soak into his flesh and give him a stunning golden tint.

The tiger mother had groomed his hairless body and when he grew a mane of wavy black hair she groomed that as well. Luca would have lived with the tiger forever, but the ring master of that circus informed the small boy he had to earn his keep. So Luca did. He dressed as a typical gypsy, and tamed the lions, rode his tiger mother and was fearless with the horses.

Everything was going well for young Luca, until the ringmaster drove off without him. Animals were the only thing he had ever known. The circus had been his only family and now they had been torn away. Pulling his hair back into the same sloppy braid he wore now Luca went searching for another circus.

Only this one had not been so kind. The animals and people were skeletal, vile beings. Always hungry, searching for their next meal. This is where Luca had lost his sight in his right eye to a hungry lion. The lion had torn open his chest and sank its teeth into his shoulder before finally being killed by the master.

That Night Luca had been whipped as a lesson. He needed to learn how to treat animals and now the circus was down a lion. The leather whip tore into his flesh causing him to see white. It burned and incinerated his confidence as it peeled flesh from bone. Luca’s back was made to look as ugly as his face and his front.

Luca believed his was ugly. His body was damaged beyond repair. Once his clothing came off and his past was revealed humans shrunk away in horror. He had silver barbells in both of his nipples. An effort to draw attention away from the scars. Just as the silver hoops in his ear drew attention away from his blindness, and dented nose. Another accident for another day. He hated his ugliness almost as much as he hated being half blind and having his left arm be stiff. He had a small range of motion with the limb. The same horse related accident as his nose had caused him that weakness too. He was bitter because of his faults.

A bitter man is easily turned. Easily convinced to collect souls and steal powers.
    That very night Lucifer himself had taken an interest in Luca. He made him an offer, an offer too good to be true. Without human parents Luca had never been given the wisdom to know that when an offer is too good to be true, it isn’t. So he signed away something he thought he would never miss… his soul.

Now Luca did the devils work. He entertained the morbid desires of the filth inhabiting the earth. He killed humans for sport. Those worth keeping he tricked into selling their souls. Signing the same contract in blood that he had all those years ago. When they signed and chose their power Luca received a duplicate. His mission was to collect souls. His aim was to become the new ring master of evil. He wanted to replace the devil who had taken his soul.
    He was getting close too. Already Luca was growing demonic markings in his once beautiful golden flesh. Hell’s incantations adorned the lines in his hips where muscle sloped seductively into his sex. The incantations caressed his spine as well. Feeding him the bitter taste of evil with every neurological transmission.

Luca is an evil, bitter demon. He surveyed the fresh crop of humans. Mentally ticking off who would live and who would die. He picked who would sell their soul and who would be part of a morbid fantasy. A few stragglers were coming in, eager to sign on.

After all Luca was famous. His Imaginarium was known to be the best show on earth. Not for the faint of heart not for the pure, and sure as hell not for the poor. Luca toyed with the end of his wavy black braid. Secured by a strip of red leather. His feet were bare, and he had on only a simple white shirt and loose fitting Roma pants. He wanted the recruits to adore him. Love him and follow him blindly until they were already drowning in the hell he called Imaginarium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Finian shrugged his small pack higher on his shoulder and tried to ignore the empty ache in his belly, taking another sip of water from his flask. Thank God water was free. Nobody in this word would grudge him anything better. Townsfolk tended to give him dark looks, eying his fair features with suspicion, his gold-hued skin and exotic, oriental-touched looks with derision. An outcast, he was blamed for all manner of local ills, and chased off from place to place since the fire that destroyed his home circus. Word followed him that he had survived where others didn't, and barely marked for it at that.

If only they knew.

His curse had saved him. A curse given to him by the fortune-teller at his own home, for making a mistake and embarrassing her, they had laughed and teased and tormented their foundling mercilessly about his becoming a flighty fancy bird when so much as startled. That changed when their fire-juggler had accidentally set one of the horses alight and the fire had spread with the fleeing beast from tent to tent to stall, the oiled canvas becoming an instant fiery maze. He and others had leapt out of one tent to find themselves ringed by fire, choked by smoke, for they used their attractions to funnel towards the main event with the side-shows and freaks... but that same funnel was now closed by one fallen tent to trap all within. The only way out was up.

Finian had escaped with burnt feathers and nearly-charred lungs, leaving death for the sky with the sparks. Though his bird form was as large as he was, he was not capable of lifting another man with it--only light items--as he had many a pretty and brightly-colored plume and was not a bird species capable of powerful flight. So only he had escaped.

But now, cursed, outcast, unwanted... his only hope before starvation was another circus. All Fin ever wanted was to leap and swing and dance on the wires, as free as his avian self in the air. But he couldn't stay a bird, and there was nothing else he could do as a human. This circus was large, the ringmaster known to be injured but said to adore his beasts and his shows were known to be beyond anything imaginable. Perhaps... perhaps it was a hope, to sign on with him. Not that a foundling like Finian ever learned to do more than make his mark on paper, but hell, what other options did he have? And maybe, maybe, this circus would accept his curse as something useful, not shameful or contemptible, like those who had given it to him.

Someone showed him in to meet Luca, and he tightened his fingers on the strap of his meager pack. Fin owned very little, a blanket and change of clothes, some soap and a plain knife, and so he felt a bit nervous before this powerful figure. Something about him radiated the same slow energy one fond in the big cats, the same sharp observation despite that smile, the same acute attention despite the one blind eye.

"Ah, pardon my lord," he managed, smoke-marred voice husky and quiet. Marcus, the master who had take him in, had said calling others "my lord" was always a good way to treat others of position, noble or not, flattery and subservience being never wasted. He had not liked the man much and love had never been wasted on a foundling such as himself, but Marcus had known much about handling people in general. "I have heard you are hiring? I am an acrobat, a dancer on wire, rope, or trapeze."

Thank you Bia for the beautiful sig and avi!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Luca’s good eye looked up at the raspy voice. A powerful urge flowing through his veins and a predatory growl dying in his chest. Isn’t he a pretty little thing? He thought to himself. A few animals called out their approval to the demon’s thoughts. I bet some of the fat Europeans would enjoy watching him flying. I have a costume that would fit. Just need to put some meat on him. I like that he calls me lord. Means he will be easy to train.
    Luca smiled pleasantly. He assumed only the animals had heard his plans. “You look hungry.” He offered pleasantly. “One of the cooks is cooking stew and potatoes.” He wondered sadistically if the little thing was hungry. “It’s thick and hearty. Quite good.” He smiled as his good arm pushed the registry to the boy. Every human was a mere child to Luca, no matter their age. He had after all lived hundreds of years. “Food is only for the performers. Just add your name.”
    Luca slid a feather to The small man.

Soft pale feet come into contact with the dirt. Bells jingled alerting Luca and the strange new man that they were no longer alone. Kia, a pale snake demon slithered up to her keeper. “Now master, you really should ask his name before you ask him to be one of us.”
    Her startling blue eyes were framed by cascades of ebony hair. She wrapped herself possessively around Luca’s bad arm.

“What is your name little one?” Luca purred the weakened part of him coming out of the shadow. He insistently pushed the parchment again. The name didn’t matter all that mattered was the signature. Then if the soul was worth the effort then that would matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Finian, my lord--Fin for short," the young acrobat rasped, dipping his head subserviently. The mention of food and a hint of it wafting in made his stomach rumble hopefully. He was eager to have a taste, mouth salivating, having to swallow a couple times to keep from drooling. "It smells good, sir."

His hand reached for the pen, then paused and drew back. Though indeed he was desperate, not knowing how to forage, not practiced enough to thieve successfully, not big or strong enough to be of service to farmers and tradesmen, and having no other options for employment--could he truly trust these strangers? He wanted to know the exact terms he was getting into, at least. In his home group, he had heard of others who demanded sexual services to patrons of the circus troop or to their leaders as part of their obligations. While Finian wasn't a virgin with men or women (a bit of fumbling in the dark when some of the others got drunk was unavoidable, consensual or not), he had no desire to be sold out like a piece of meat to greasy merchants or crude farmers. Yet somehow he sensed some sort of... approval, or desire for Finian's services, from the ringmaster... Well, the occasional attention from the ringmaster he might endure, but that, Finian feared, was always a possibility in any place that would employ him--circus, sideshow, even a merchant or lord's employ as entertainment.

His hazel eyes widened at the serpentine girl who latched onto the ringmaster's arm possessively. Clearly she felt confident correcting the ringmaster, yet not enough to call him by name. A lover, perhaps? But an amazing, seductive sight to behold. Her blue eyes were piercing, yet predatory--enough to make his hackles rise and kill any desire that teased his lower half. She glided, slid, bent with the smooth agility and seductive lines of the snake she represented--and snakes and birds never got along. He was more a prey animal to her kind, and so he felt more wary than most virile young men around her.

"This is only to perform as an acrobat and dancer of heights, correct, my lord? I fear I am no competition for seductive beauty like the one beside you, and I am too bony and small to be of use to anyone's bed." Picking up the pen, he hesitated, wanting that confirmed.
    Last edited by Car'mael; 03-04-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Luca pulled the parchment away, taking the promise of food along with it. “This is a registry, lists all the people who belong to my… family. I am not a trusting man and because of that I am able to protect what is mine. Other circuses have boney lions and shabby tigers. My cats are well fed and groomed.”

Kia bit her tongue. What Luca said was true. He cared little for the demons, less for the humans, but those damned animals were always fat and happy. Never struck or overworked. People would see them well looked after and because most beings viewed animals as the lowest priority they would assume Luca must treat humans like royalty.

Luca felt Kia stiffen. His bad arm wasn’t completely useless and he managed to shake her off. “Go get yourself some food my lovely. I need to talk with Finian here and send the rest of the line away. I have everything I could ever need from this town.”

Kia nodded glaring at Finian. She hated him already. The bells around her ankles died out before Luca continued. “Truth be told Finian I don’t need someone with your talents. I have room yes, but need?” He shook his head before looking over the list. “A circus is all about seduction. People are seduced by power, grace, sex. I seduce them with my power over animals. My ability to have a snarling lion sit like a trained lap dog. If you can not seduce the crowds with your grace and beauty, then you are of no use to me.”

He shrugged and placed the parchment back down. “I think we both agree I am a monstrous looking man. However I seduce the crowds and my bed is always warm. I want your signature to know that you plan to stay until dismissed. I’m not asking you to sell your body or your soul” He smiled at his own truthfulness. “I am asking for your loyalty when eating my food and sleeping in my accommodations.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Finian looked down at the parchment, unable to read a word, and considered what Luca said for a moment. The man was correct--he didn't need Fin nearly as much as Fin needed him. And he was right about the seduction of playing to your audience, using death-defying leaps and sensuous movements to leave watchers gasping at your defiance of gravity, the illusion of a human being truly flying without wings defying their concept of reality. You had to entice and impress, or you were not worth their attention--and thus not worth your food. It was only fair, he decided. Loyality to the one who fed him and offering the best performances his skills might provide...

The young acrobat was quite glad of Kia's departure. Her predatory gaze had made him uncomfortable and the look she gave as she was dismissed was downright hating,

Hazel eyes flicked up to consider the ringmaster's face, that blind eye and the other so very dark, the scar of a clawing by that useless eye testifying to his work with the large cats and the risk he took there... Yet he spoke lovingly of his cats, injury aside. He called himself monsterous, yet he was young and was probably considered handsome before those scars. He kept himself in better shape than most merchants and even the ringmaster of his home troop, that was certain. Well, if he put any of that effort into those he considered his "own", Finian decided becoming one of those was possibly a better life than anything he'd ever known.

"I don't bite the hand that feeds me, my lord. What you ask is fair trade, and that I give happily. I live to fly and dance on heights, to entice audiences to rethink that whole saying about God not giving us wings. I merely meant that my bedroom seductions would make a poor encore to that." Putting pen to ink, he made his mark on the paper where he'd been indicated. "I'm your man, my lord. If you don't mind, what should I call you?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Luca rolled up the parchment and rose from his chair. “You can call me master, or Luca if you are brave enough to call me by name.” His eye now looked the boy over more critically. His might be a soul worth selling. The blunt honesty was refreshing in the very least. He also didn’t understand why the boy thought he would not make a good bed warmer. He had no major blemish and a few nights of food would make him soft to touch.

Luca didn’t discriminate against gender. If he was in the mood he took what he wanted. Like a lion with a death grip around a females neck as they mated. Luca was the king of the circus. He had a duplicate of every power in the place and had in most cases mastered them beyond the person they were initially sold to. He briefly wondered what power Fin would choose if given the chance.

He pulled back the tent flap to reveal people sitting in cages eating out of their bowels. They were all new and looked at Finian with wide eyed curiosity.

“I don’t trust people Fin. People do stupid things. Cruel Evil and vile things. I never met an animal that killed for any reason other than being hungry or frightened. I have never had an animal steal from me and have never had one prove to be disloyal. You will earn your freedom as you earn my trust.”

Kia carried a large metal bowel steaming with beef and potato stew. “Until then pick a cage.” He Made a wide sweeping motion indicating all of the vacant spaces. They were large enough to crawl, turn around and lay flat in. “You can have your dinner once you have chosen and I really don’t have all night. Tomorrow we will see if you can earn your keep.” He laughed “You would be surprised how many people lie about their talents for a night of free food and a warm bed.” A few people shivered in guilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Finian jerked back, surprised and confused by what he saw, almost ready to bolt at the sight, hazel eyes wide with fear. He felt a shiver start down his spine, the telltale tingle and sting of his transformation about to begin, and twined his hand in his pack's strap painfully to use that stronger pain to drive it away. Shaking slightly, knees feeling a little weak from fighting it off, he stared at Kia dazedly, then back at Luca uneasily.

But he had signed, and given his word. If this man had unorthodox ways to prove his people trustworthy, well, some local lords were crueler. A cage, though... it felt a little too close to his secret for him to feel anything but nervous about it. Would he end up confined to one his whole stay here, should his curse become known? Should he run now, while he had a chance? He could transform and fly off... but then the hunt would be on, and again he would be starving and likely dead soon after...

Clutching his meager pack close and setting his teeth, he gathered his courage and faced Luca boldly. Better to prove he had some strength than be a mere whimpering dog like the rest. "My lord, I have but one request..."

Looking upward, then around, he sought something a bit more suitable for himself than a floor-set cage. Preferably something with space to move within, so he could stretch now and then and do a better test-performance tomorrow. Though even a a small one at a height would be nice, so he could feel secure from the strangers in this troop, such as the snake-woman.

"Have you anything with a bit more room I might use the bars of to stretch with? Or a bit higher?"

A sudden thought hit him, and Fin glanced back the way they'd entered worriedly, looking for any sign of the moon's phase. He had lost track, and if tonight it was full...

Well, Finian's secret would be out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Luca chuckled “I am no lord little one.” He shook his head as a few other demons laughed. They all watched the skinny boy with interest. He was ballsy to even attempt to ask something of Luca. Didn’t he feel the evil? The people felt it, the demons felt it. The only ones unaffected were the animals.

Luca rested his chin in his hand. His eyebrows dove towards his nose as he thought. He didn’t have any animal that would enjoy height. He could offer him a horse stall since the horses were grazing. It would need to be cleaned. He could have a fire tamer clean it…
    Luca had to admit he was impressed by the little things boldness.

“I have a shelf in my personal quarters.” He offered as he watched the hazel eyes drown in terror as they drifted to the nearly full moon. Strange, he thought to himself. “However you would need to be chained and I would fasten bells on you.”

He looked over at Kia, and laughed inwardly at her annoyance. “You are being rude, give Finian his food before you are denied yours.”

Kia thought about hurling the steaming bowel at Fin’s head. However her master had seemed to take a liking to him. Soon he would try to trick Finian into selling his soul and then what? He would be a part of the demonic family. She grudgingly handed Finian the bowel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Master Luca, then." The others seemed to think his using titles amusing, but to Fin it was a means of staying on Luca's good side, respectful and subservient. The air was charged with a dark sort of energy, but the acrobat attributed that feeling to just the sight of people in cages, unaware of the true nature of those around him. His animal instincts were wary, but that was not unusual for a bird.

At least the moon wasn't full yet. He had some time to earn trust and be free. If he could get free before that night, or at least on that night, then he could hide somewhere as a bird and just let them assume he'd hid somewhere high to sleep instead. Little would they know how true that was. Hopefully they'd just think a large odd bird visited as well, and not try to catch him in that form.

The young acrobat considered the options offered him, and eyed the occupied cages a moment, thinking fast. The cages really looked uncomfortably confining. A shelf sounded small, but far less confining and with the freedom to move around and stretch. Being in Luca's quarters almost guaranteed his safety and warmth at night. The chain seemed a good precaution on the ringmaster's part, considering Luca's suspicions of anything human (which was something Fin could attest to from growing up in another troop--animals were usually nicer). The bells, though, seemed silly. But he could handle a little silliness until he proved his worth. Fin had been expecting to have his skills tested regardless, and it was simply common for strangers to be looked at with suspicion anywhere in this age.

Accepting the bowl suddenly thrust into his hands and trying not to spill it or drop his meager pack, Finian managed a hoarse, "Thank you," to Kia. No, she clearly hated him. Did she think he wanted her master's attention? For the moment all he wanted was safety, warmth, food, and shelter, and a place to show off his joy in dancing on the heights. The rest she could keep. To be a ringmaster's favorite was someone else's privilege--he had always been just the kicked dog found by the roadside, nothing more.

"The shelf will do, then, Master Luca," Fin agreed. He silently hoped he would be shown where it was soon, though--his legs ere still shaky and he wanted to sit to eat as soon as possible... before he fell or fainted. Either was possible pretty soon, he knew, in his current state. "I don't understand, though... why bells? Isn't chain enough?"
    Last edited by Car'mael; 03-05-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Page 1 of 14 123 ... LastLast