0 Post(s)

ideas? . Hogwarts . WTRT: Side Roads
    my life is still a mess pm me if you want to check in
    vote for RPA

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Romance, slice of life, fantasy
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Rereading Cinder- by Marissa Meyer and the rest of The Lunar Chronicles series. Found it in a box I was going through and I remembered it being good, so yep.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Currently working my way through Shorefall by Robert Jackson Bennett , the just-released second entry into his new Founders series. After falling in love with his Divine cities trilogy, I was super hyped when this new one came out, and I'm yet to be disappointed.

Next up will be King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo. I was a little bit iffy on the first Grishaverse trilogy, but Six of Crows and its sequel were absolutely fantastic, and hopefully this new entry will follow the trend of improvement.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Fiction:
    Never Deal With a Dragon, (1st Book of the Secrets of Power Trilogy) by Robert Charette.
    I had never heard of Shadowrun Legends at all, so have just started reading these as both source material and just an interesting cyber-fantasy story after a helpful recommendation from another member here (thank you!).

Non-Fiction:
    Hawaii's Story by Queen Liliuokalani
    Multiple re-reads. I cannot overstate how impressive this individual was as a leader and as a woman. But I'll try. She is definitely someone to know if you have never had an opportunity to learn her name. Many people do not realise that Hawai'i was forcefully annexed to the United States and that the kingdom enjoyed recognition of sovereignty from other world powers at the time this happened. Robert Louis Stevenson (who is also a brilliant author) actually has published letters from his own time in the islands which are worth reading as well. Liliuokalani led a very bittersweet life, but is a shining example of poise and valor, particularly in a world where women were still often more property than person in "civilised" societies. To give some historical context, at the time of annexation it would be another twenty or so years before women could vote in UK or US, let alone hold office. Her story, while it does not have a happy ending, is about courageous love against insurmountable rapacity and the unbreakable native community that still retains those same ideals.

Spice of Life:
    hyaku-nin-isshiu
    For other poetry lovers. Also interesting if you want to learn a new memory type card game. I personally think of it as a social or holiday gathering game like lotería.

Spoiler: Completely Unsolicited, Contextual Praise Definitely not Acquired via Torture 

hella baked and extra sweet
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I just finished reading A Dream So Dark by L.L. McKinney. It's the second book in the Nightmare-verse series, a retelling of Alice in Wonderland with a powerful WoC as the protagonist and some very interesting reimaginations. I highly recommend it!

Now I'm reading Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens, which is a totally different vibe but my grandma wants to talk about it when I finish. Since visiting her isn't an option until the whole Great Quar is over, I gotta find other ways to show her some love.

♥This set was made by my dear, sweet Ru.♥
    Spoiler: my poetry thread 

modern, fantasy, angst, fluff, etc. (pretty open to trying new themes)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I’m trying to start Strange The Dreamer by Laini Taylor. It’s a fantasy novel that I can’t quite remember the synopsis for. This question made me remember it! Time to curl up in bed and finally start this book! If anyone has any fantasy book recs, I would love some! I’m trying to get back into reading for fun.

Fantasy, Horror, Slice of Life, and anything I think might be fun.
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I'm reading a few books right now.

The first is Let Me In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I learned about it from a Youtube video that was breaking down "horror romances". It seemed interesting, so I figured I'd give it a try. I tend to take long breaks when reading, so it may be a while before I finish it.

I'm also reading A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore, but it's a comic book, so I'm not sure if that counts here. I guess it just depends on whether you view comic books as literature or not. I really enjoyed it back in high school, but never got to read past the first volume. I'm glad I decided to pick it up again! Still waiting to see if I make it past the first volume, though, as I’m currently in the process of rereading it.

The last one worth mentioning is Coyote America by Dan Flores. It's a collection of Indigenous American stories about the coyote with commentary on what it symbolizes to different tribes. I've always been interested in folklore from different regions, especially involving animals, and this one hits close to home for me. Just like with the other books I mentioned, however, it's taking me a while to finish.

Fantasy,Slice of Life, Drama, Action depending on what it's about.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I'm right now reading the book "The Lost Boy" A Foster child's search for the love of a family. It's a really sad but uplifting book about how one boy who had a rather awful terrible childhood... managed to hang on through everything and survive. It's a book that if you never cried before... Don't worry. This book will make you want to cry. You'll be sobbing like Niagara falls. That is for certain.

Ketchup Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I could use some book recs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am currently reading A Mindful Morning: Start Each Day With a Clear Mind & Open Heart by David Dillard-Wright. I'm a positive junkie with a zest for wanting to be more mindful. It's a good morning read

@kiki , have you ever heard of Yasemine Galenorn? She's a fantasy/paranormal writer. I'm also reading her Otherworld Series about the D'Artigo sisters. There's witches, werepumas, incubuses, and more. If you're into it!

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 43444546 LastLast