Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: (M) SCAR: The Beginning The End(IC) (H)

1Cor 13:1-8

Mentioned
    125 Post(s)

Claire glared at Lyrico as the other operatives made their way in to the briefing, Yakim being the last to arrive. She silently hoped that this wouldn’t be a long mission. Claire cringed when Vee and Chase saluted her and couldn’t help but wonder if they were going to be a problem. She still hat a lot of unresolved issues with Chase, and she had to keep Vee from killing Lyrico; something which Claire already wanted to do herself. As she considered the people being sent on the mission, Claire couldn’t help but wonder if SCAR really knew what they were doing.

“Okay everybody,” Claire began. “I’m going to make this as brief as possible. Today, we picked up a spectral anomaly emanating from Cold Oaks, South Dakota. Cold Oaks is a ghost town and is rumoured to be the most haunted place in America. A rumour previously debunked by SCAR.” Claire paused to take a sip of water.

“There has never been any evidence of paranormal activity there before today.” Claire’s face became far more serious. “The readings we are getting are off the scale. The town seems to be the center of a paranormal event, and it’s spreading. In the last two hours, the radius of the event has doubled in size.” Claire took another sip of water and placed the glass on the table.

“We are to go in and determine the cause of this event and stop it.” Claire touched a button on the computer. “The readings suggest that we will be encountering ghosts, so normal ammo is optional.” Claire glanced around the room before hitting another button. When she did, panels on the table in front of each of the operatives slid open revealing what looked to be an Iphone.

“These phones are linked,” Claire read from the screen. “Not only to each other, but SCAR HQ as well. They can also act as a Geiger counter, EM detector, and GPS.” Claire paused and hit another button on the keyboard.

“Now….any questions?”

Queen of Awesome
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Horror, Fantasy, Love
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)

Baket listened as Claire gave them the information about the mission. Started to wonder if she should be taking notes of some kind, until she heard the part about tracking ghosts. She couldn’t keep the disappointment from showing on her face so she reached out and grabbed the phone in front of her as a distraction. Spinning it lightly on the desk, with a little frustration. Watching as the phone turned and turned on the table, the screen lighting up briefly from being moved about, then flashing back out again as it went back into sleep mode. Stopping it in mid spin.

“Excuse me” she began looking at Claire “I’m not really sure why I’m here for this briefing. It seems to me that my skill set won’t be much help to you or your team. I’m a healer. What exactly do you expect me to do?”

“According to your file,” Claire looked at Baket and smiled. “You have the ability cure terminal wounding, if I’m reading this right. So I think you will be quite valuable to the mission. I know you’re new, but on missions like this, people tend to get hurt.”

"I really don't understand" Baket continued her gaze not wavering from Claire's "You distinctly said, ghosts" her voice flat and emotionless. "How can a ghost cause injury? They aren't poltergeists or demons. I'm not trying to be rude, but I really don't care to be dragged for nothing. I know I'm a new team member but if you're just bringing me along for the ride.... " she trailed off.

“Actually,” Claire tilted her head sideways. “They can. And I have a feeling it’s because of how they attack that you are being sent on this mission. Ghosts will blend with a target and basically shred the victim’s soul. Because of the basis for your ability, you can most likely counter this effect.”

Baket wasn't sure liked the tone of that, leaning forward in concern "shred the victim's soul" she repeated back slowly. "I'm not sure that my skills lie in that area, I haven't really been able to test my ability in an actual situation. Other than a few scrapes and bruises." she finished realizing she had just blurted out to perfect strangers that she wasn't qualified to be here. Sitting back into her chair slowly, folding her fingers in her lap, keeping her eyes firmly on Claire's, refusing to look at anyone else in fear of what she would see in their eyes.

“I’ve read your file,” Claire smiled. “It says that the time of day affects the strength of your power. And someone thinks you can be of assistance. As do I.” Claire paused for a moment to take a breath.

“Fortunately we have Ethan,” Claire glanced at him. “He can see ghosts, which is handy because they only turn visible when they are about to attack. So I don’t think much is going to be able to sneak up on us.”

Baket's eyes automatically flicked in the direction of Ethan, before she could stop them "Well, I guess I am honored to be chosen to be on the team, and will certainly do my best." putting on her bright, harmless smile, still really not sure what they would expect of her.

The sudden realization hitting her like a bucket of ice water that they would be going someplace haunted. Haunted. Haunted as in ghosts, lots of ghosts. How could she have been so blind. She was so worried that she wouldn't be able to use her healing ability, it hadn't occurred to her that this was going to be excruciating. There was a reason she avoided cemetery's and morgues. oh gran.. you're going to have to help me with this. How am I going to keep them out? suddenly wishing to be anywhere but here.

“Don’t worry,” Claire looked at Baket reassuringly. “I’m sure everything will be fine. Given what we faced on our last mission, a bunch of ghosts should be a walk in the park.” Claire knew it wouldn’t be that easy. It wasn’t the ghosts she was worried about, she had dealt with ghosts before. Her worry lay in whatever was causing the disturbance.

(co-op merry & the amazing Naz)
    Spoiler: Looking for a Roleplay? Just click it! 

Help us Help you! Vote for RPA -Daily!

~RPA's Lady of Peace~
    Upon the whispering winds and in a state of total confusion
    Anything and everything with the exception of horror
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Shannon smiled when Aaron entered the room and sat down beside her. She opened up her notebook and laid the pen down beside it in case there was anything important she needed to write down. She subconsciously watched the remaining operatives walk into the room while her other hand moved under the table and gave Aarons hand a quick squeeze before allowing her hand to come to rest upon his thigh.

Aaron almost jumped out of his seat, being surprised that Shannon's hand touched his thigh. He wasn't expecting that, at all. As he quickly settled down he reached towards her hand, caressing it lightly with his fingers, slowly and softly moving it across her arm, yet still out of sight.

It was a comfort to Shane to know that Aaron would be going on this mission with her. There was a part of her that was concerned for him because she knew that his powers weren’t physical like hers was but they had been working together for some time now and he had become rather efficient with weapons.

She relished the feeling of his hand upon hers but when Claire began to speak she became all business. One thing about Shane that held true under any circumstance was that she was highly focused when on task. Moving both hands to the top of the table she picked up a pen in one hand in case she needed to write. As much as she would rather have been alone with Aaron in his room right now, she found herself listening intently to every word that Claire was saying.

Aaron was trying to contain his smile, trying not to show it to the other operatives in the room. It was harder than he thought though. But when Claire started to speak, Shane let go, listening intently on what she had to say.

Aaron smiled but quickly caught himself as he glanced at Shannon. He turned towards Claire, also listening on what she had to say. After all, this was his first mission, and he couldn't afford to make any mistakes.

Shane listened quietly as Claire continued. Shane raised her hand and when Claire nodded at her asked the question "What mode of transportation will we be using for this mission. I'm ready to get this thing started."

“We will be taking the Deathstrike,” Claire smiled. “The Deathstrike is a prototype jet helicopter hybrid. The techs here at SCAR are very proud of it and we get the pleasure of taking it out on its first official mission. But if you are anxious to get going, and have no other questions, feel free to make your way to the hangar now. And that goes for everyone else as well.”

Finally they could get moving. Shane shut her notebook quickly tossing it and her pen back into the duffle bag. With a nod of her head she beckoned Aaron to follow her into the hallway. If anyone else had questions they could go ahead and ask. As for Shane, she wanted a moment alone with Aaron.

Aaron stood up, seeing that Shane was beckoning him over to her, and he didn't have any questions anyway. Throwing the phone in his pocket and picking up his duffel bag Aaron walked over to where Shannon was.

The minute that Aaron stepped out of the briefing room Shane dropped her bag and wrapped her arms around his neck as her lips brushed gently against his before delving into his mouth and allowing their tongues to dance slowly. This being their first mission together made her slightly nervous. Pressing her forehead to his and looking into those deep brown eyes that always managed to mesmerize her she whispered “Are you ready for this babe?”

Aaron whispered back, "We've been training together for months. This is part of what the training was for. So, yeah, I'm ready." Aaron slowly moved his hand up and softly brushed Shane's hair, "Just, be careful." He wasn't sure if he should say what he was thinking, he wasn't even sure if he ever had said it. Taking a deep breath, tightening his fist, and closing his eyes he said, "I love you."

Aaron’s eyes spoke the truth. Shannon nuzzled her lips against his neck holding him tight “I love you too.” She blinked back a tear before raising her head to look at him. “You’re right, we’re ready. We’ve both improved. You’re at the top of your game. Just remember your powers aren’t physical like mine, so stay close to me whenever you can and be prepared….” Shane’s voice waivered slightly at the thought “Be prepared for whatever might happen, you know what is possible if I have to push my powers.” Her eyes sought his. She knew that he knew what she was talking about and the truth was that sometimes her power scared even her.

"Don't worry about that, it won’t come to it," Aaron said. He was being optimistic, considering the situation all of SCAR was in; the increase in paranormal activity, deaths piling up, more and more failed missions, but he hoped he could at least try to comfort Shannon, even if he wasn't that good at it.

Aaron opened his eyes, looking around. "I, I think we'll have to go soon, so," He pulled in closer, his arms around Shane's waist, and kissed her again.

Aaron had become a huge comfort to Shane since he’d arrived at SCAR. She didn’t know why they had hit it off so well she could only be grateful that they had. The life of a scar operative was never easy and each operative seemed to have found their own way to cope with it. It was easier having at least one person to lean on at all times.

Shane savored that last kiss knowing full well it might be awhile before that opportunity presented itself again. None of the other operatives had moved into the hallway yet and Shane lingered in that moment for as long as she could allowing her tongue to curl around his as she explored every inch of his mouth pressing her lithe form against him tightly. If it were up to her that kiss would never end but even she knew that it had to.

Aaron slowly pulled back, smiling and relishing the moment. "We have to go," he said sighing as he took Shane's hand. He slowly started walking towards the helicopter, letting go of her as they passed the briefing room.

{co with DB Wolf, Naz and Mysti}

There's nothing more deadly than slow growing fear...
    Spoiler: Mysti's random stuff and shoutouts. 

A Storm Is Coming
    fantasy, SF, horror, romance, western, historical fiction, anime/manga, paranormal
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Malcolm sighed and rubbed his temples in his seat. The newer individuals were a headache all on their own, the constant whispering of Sammael in his head along with the rest of the heavenly host was not helping in the slightens. His perpetual frown was deeper, nearly a glower. The Chaplian couldn't help but sigh in minor frustration at the majority of the people in the room. Holding hands and staring at one another doe-eyed? This wasn't a fucking highschool.

"Captain, are there any records of notable individuals in the town? Rapists, murderers, psychopaths and the like?" Malcolm listened to the answer intently, he stared ice-cold daggers at everyone in the room, so his star avoided Claire completely.

“It has been looked into,” Claire kept her professional tone. “We have found nothing that could be considered out of the ordinary.”

"What about shadows? Any signs of them?" he followed up after Claire's answer. If no one was going to get down to business, he would. One lesson he would drill into the heads of the others was how to keep things professional, no matter who you were in a room with.

“We have picked up no clear indications of any,” Claire responded, “But usually, where there are ghosts, there are shadows. So I would say chances are pretty good.” After getting his answer, Malcolm took a deep breath, running his hand through his hair.

"What about any omens? Any demon activity?"

"No," Claire responded. Nothing at all." With the answer given, Malcolm stood, not having anything else he needed to know. Giving a sharp salute, Malcolm departed, back straight and shoulders square.

His frist stop was at the quarter-master to get a new toy they had for ghost-hunting. The Chaplain gave his credentials and his requisition order to the quarter-master. With a look over and a nod, the quarter-master brought out an AA-12 assault shotgun and four 35 round clips. Three were filled with rocksalt rounds while the fourth was filled with the prototype silver plated frag round. Dis-assembling the gun, Malcolm loaded it into his dufflebag. He was really glad that the weapon was light.

Malcolm walked to the hanger slowly. He caught a glimpse of Claire, walking after her for a moment, but she vanished in a throng of operatives, leaving Malcolm standing there. With a growl and a sigh, he turned and headed to the hangar, his frown a full-on scowl when he arrived. His demeanor boiling with anger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ethan stood up, as Malcolm asked all of his questions. He shrugged, and pulled a cigar from a pouch on the side of his leg. He pulled a lighter from no where, sparked it, and lit his cigar. He took a deep inhale, then exhaled with a puff of smoke in the opposite direction of everyone else. He grabbed the cigar, and pulled it from his mouth.

"No questions for me. All I know is that when we get there, I'm gonna kick some paranormal ass. Or should it be punch?" Ethan cracked his knuckles. "Don't mean to be cocky, of course. But if any of you didn't already know, I don't need silver to cause some damage."

With that, Ethan left the room before anyone had something to say back; if they did, anyways. He made his way back to his room, and hit the switch that slid the door open. He flicked on the light, and smirked at the bright colors.

He closed his eyes for a good two seconds, then opened them again; now they were a bright blue color with an ominous blue glow. The Hydrogen symbol appeared at the other side of his room. He walked up to it, then pushed his finger against it like it was a small button.

The small part of the wall went in, and a small chamber opened up. It was completely lit with fluorescent lighting. In the center of the room was a small armor rack that was completely empty; Ethan already had it out, and was currently wearing the armor.

To the left, there were two silver guns in a glass case. Both Ethan removed, and holstered at his sides. To the right of the room was his personal favorite gun: The FN F2000. Next to the gun were two Semtex grenades.

Finally, in the back of the room, Ethan's Flyssa was being held for display. Ethan opened it's glass case, and strapped the sheath to his back, with the blade still inside. He turned back, and walked out the room. The hidden door slowly shut as he left.

He didn't keep the chamber hidden from the big wigs of SCAR, or anything. He wasn't breaking any rules, or owning something he shouldn't. He just liked the secure thoughts of knowing all his gear was safe, and only he could find it. Or, only he could find it easily, anyways.

With that, Ethan made his way to the hangar. He stood outside of the bird, and waited for the rest of the members to come. He started to finish off his cigar.
    Mother forgive me.

Security of Mem

Lyrico listened to the briefing. It was pissing him off. The way Claire took charge. The way Claire behaved as if nothing was wrong. The way Claire looked. The way Claire stood. Just everything about her was pissing him really pissing him off. After her briefing the pent up emotions of anger escaped him. He began to moan very feminine like. And then he began to rub himself.

"Oh Malcolm it feels so good, yes Malcolm touch me there....MALCOLM....FUCK ME HARDER MALCOM!" Lyrico found himself saying.

You shouldn't have done that

shut up elf

but

I said shut up she pisses me off she pisses me off shes pissses me off.

Okay I'm going to go

good elf. Good.

"I heard you two last night squeeeeling in the closet. You got a loud voice Claire. Couldn't get much sleep," Lyrico said.

“Lyrico!!!,” Claire shouted, glaring at him. “Unless you have something constructive to contribute, I suggest you shut the fuck up!!”

Lyrico cackled. He gave her a smile. A smile that maybe showed someone who completely lost it.

"AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!" Lyrico said, "Two little piggies sitting a tree. One name Malcolm the other Claire. First came love and then they had sex. Next comes a piggy baby in a baby pen. ahahahahhaahhahaa."

“Listen you child killing piece of shit,” Claire placed her hands flat on the table and smiled at him, speaking calmly. “One more word about my personal life, or the personal lives of any of the operatives, and I will come over there, kick the shit out of you and then let Vee shoot you in the head. And no Lyrico, I’m not bluffing. Is that understood?”

Lyrico smiled a bit, feeling a little dangerous. "Try me," Lyrico said, "Go ahead and try me." Lryco got up from his chair to the end of the table. "The end of this table is Claire. And I'm malcolm over her butt. Last night in the closet he grabs her by the hips and starts humping her like a gorilla." Lyrico began to make "Oooo" "oo" noises like that of a gorilla. "Claire is in love with a Gorilla fucker ahahahhahaa,"

It was merely a thought a passing thought. And all he did was smile for a moment. And then he stared at Claire.

"Fine, but maybe the next advice you should get is not to hold to many grudges," Lyrico said, "Stupid bitch who knows no manners."

“Listen to me very closely,” Claire kept her tone calm, but the smile faded from her face. “I am in charge of this mission. And quite frankly, I don’t like you. You are not here by my choice Lyrico, so I suggest you step lightly.”

Suddenly one of the pens near Lyrico broke. It was probably the reaction that none would have expected from Lyrico, but he was crying. But he still held the most sadistic expression. They had never seen Lyrico cry. Nor had they ever seen he truly lose control. Where the obects around him cracked a bit.

"You hold these stupid little grudges," Lyrico said, "It isn't like I wanted to do it! It isn't like I didn't feel anything for it. I feel guilt to you know. I feel it. I feel it. And it haunts me. And I know what I did was wrong in so many worlds. But you DON'T HAVE TO ACCUS ME OF ANYTHING. YOU DON'T HAVE KEEP ON HATING ME OVER A GRUDGE! ITS MY PERSONAL NIGHTMARE! YOU NEVER ONCE ASKED ME HOW I WAS. OR HOW I WAS DOING. ALL YOU EVER DID WAS HIT ME AND HOLD A GRUDGE! Why? Why why why why why?! It pisses me off...it pisses me off!"

“Because Lyrico,” Claire rolled her eyes. “You obviously don’t have a concept of what appropriate behavior is. Learn that, and maybe I will back off. But keep going on the way you are, and we will continue to have problems.”

Lyrico felt anger flush through his body. Some memories flooded into his mind. One of cold hospitals. Blood pressures. One of food. And a psychologist always analyzing him. One of people treating him like a monster.

"Just because you may have had that opportunity, doesn't mean I did. To them I'm just a monster. To them I was always analyzed no one cared. No one truly cared they just wanted to melt me into the same society to be like everyone else," Lyrico said, "I struggle to know what it is good and bad. Because I don't know. I didn't have your little Mary lane figure out who you are. My head is confused and thoughts bubble inside. I can barely control whatever is in my head because I never learned how to properly. I know how to hide it under the rug. But it bubbles and comes up bigger bigger and bigger. So don't come in here telling me how to behave appropriately. Because you don't know how to either. And don't roll your eyes at me. You never took the chance. And you accuse me."

“Then fine,” Claire sighed. “When the mission is complete we will discuss this in private. But as for right now, this conversation is over. There are more pressing matters to worry about right now.”

Lyrico wiped his face and sneered at the rest who viewed the conversation. He bit his tongue and looked to the floor. He didn't want any of them coming to him because of this. And he didn't want any of them to think he was weak either. He scowled at the floor not sure what he was thinking of.

"Fine," he mumbled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The cheek muscle below Vee's left eyes was jumping. The twitch was annoying to say the least, but it was nothing compared to that bastard.

His very existence was like nails down a chalkboard to her, even if she didn't listen to what he was saying. She scowled at the ground. Questioning a superior like that would have gotten her court marshaled. And making comments about a superior's sexual life would have landed her in the infirmary. She'd barely seen the shithead's power, she couldn't imagine it made him so special that he could run around doing anything he pleased, when she'd be staring at the ceiling of a ten-by-ten for a very long time for the same behavior.

She didn't even bother to look at Claire. She didn't care for the woman in the least, not since the incident, and she was learning to like her less and less. It wasn't fair, Vee had concluded. That bastard should have just gotten the beat down from security and been on his way to a nice gray cell with a big bunk mate named Bubba, and she lost more respect for her supposed leader every time it didn't happen.

She wondered, with a dry smirk, how many tantrums he'd have then.

Chase watched Lyrico's display with little more than grain of care. The man was fool to be sure, but Chase had no reason to hate or like him. Well almost none.

Chase squeezed Vee's hand in his. He wasn't sure if the girl had even remembered that he was there. Her expresison was rigid. It was obvious what she thought of the fools display. "Vee. Do you care if I remove my glove?" The reason for this act would be obvious to anyone who knew of his power.

" Huh? Yeah, it's fine." Vee muttered, distracted by trying to glare holes into the back of the bastard child-killer's head.

Unlocking fingers with Vee, Chase slid off his normal white glove. He then slid his hand back into hers. The instant their skin met, Chase was surged with flashes of things he was unsure if he should of saw. Chase tried to keep the blood from rushing to his face as he witnessed some of her more carnal fantasies that involved him. But he also saw her feelings towards Lyrico. It was odd to keep contact with someone while he didn't have a glove on. It was like her mind was linked with his.

It wasn't the first time Vee had felt another presence in her own head, and it wasn't even the first time it had been Chase. But it was still an odd feeling, different from anything else. The world, which always seemed to move so slowly in her eyes, was faster, bigger, and full of strange, overwhelming sensations through his. But the distraction sapped the frustration right out of her.

"Are you okay?" Chase whispered the words to his closest friend. He had to use every ounce of his strength not to freak out. Chase and Vee interlocked fingers as he tried to take all her anger.

Vee nodded, watching in awe as they breathed in unison. And suddenly her anger was gone, and happiness bubbled up from deep within her to replace it. Chase's power was a gift, and amazing gift. To share so intimate a union with someone was a privilege and a joy. She wondered if it was her power that made her able to ignore all the unnecessary input and zone in on him.

She wasn't paying the least attention to Claire or the bastard, in any case.

Chase watched as Vee's expression shifted from hatred to happiness. A warm feeling filled over him. Every thought that passed through her filled his mind the moment after it came to her. Almost like he had thought these things himself. A smile moved to one side of his face. He had diffused the situation, for now.

Vee smirked lightly at Chase as her mind almost instinctively turned to something a bit naughtier. She wondered, knowing he could hear her thoughts, what sex would be like.

She was purposely messing with him. Chase knew she actually wanted to do all these things that ran through her head. Some requiring very high levels of flexibility. But he also knew she directed her thoughts to this subject because Chase had a front row seat. And he had to admit. The images weren't bad ones.

But he had to think of what to do with Lyrico. The man seemed to be a thorn in everyone's side. And he didn't like the thoughts he caused in Vee. And it only became harder the longer they held hands. Chase knew she would not be satisfied with just his had on hers.

Reluctantly, Vee pulled her hand from Chase's. He was worried and the contact only made it worse, as much as she enjoyed it. She didn't care who saw and she certainly didn't care what they thought. She almost hoped the bastard would make a comment because she would relish the provocation. Instead, she leaded her head on Chase's shoulder.

" I'm okay now." she whispered to him, hoping he in turn would feel better.

Chase took a few deep breaths before his body completely calmed. He still had Vee close, but he wasn't in her head anymore. A place that he wouldn't mind seeing in again. But maybe in a less stressful environment. But he did not place his glove back on. If the need should arise, he wanted to instantly know what Vee was feeling if only to keep her from killing Lyrico.

"I'm glad." He smiled his nervous smile at Vee, hoping she really was okay.

Vee smiled back, standing and pulling Chase by his sleeve with her. She walked in step with him to the hangar, nodding to the others that had already arrived.

And she managed it all without shooting anything or anyone, talking to things that weren't there, or making faces at anyone. She was personally quite proud of herself. And thankful for Chase.

The Queen is back and rocking out.

1Cor 13:1-8

Mentioned
    125 Post(s)

Claire looked over the operatives, taking note of the soothing effect Chase seemed to be having on Vee. It put Claire’s mind a little more at ease, as they could keep an eye on each other, and she could keep a closer eye on Lyrico. The thought had occurred to Claire to just read everyone, but they would be able to tell she was doing it due to her eyes turning black; and Claire didn’t feel this was the best way to earn their trust, if she hadn’t already

“Okay everyone, head out,” Claire glanced at the remaining operatives, her gaze falling on Kristy. “Except for you Kristy. We need to have a word.” Claire kept her professional tone, and once the operatives had left, she seemed to relax.

“Kristy,” Claire sounded concerned but she smiled at her friend. “Are you okay with this? If you’re not, you don’t have to go.”

Kristy stopped spinning the pen on the table, "Me? More than fine. Besides, I wouldn't be put on a mission that was too dangerous, right?" Kristy finished, trying to keep a positive tone. She had heard the reports of mission failures becoming more frequent.

“I’ve just got a bad feeling about this,” Claire looked at the floor. “I don’t know Kristy. There’s just too much that doesn’t make sense. Things have gotten so bad in the last six months and I don’t think it’s coincidence.” Claire looked into Kristy’s eyes.

“You should also know,” Claire tilted her head slightly. “You weren’t originally assigned to this mission. I requested you.”

Kristy cocked her head to the side, "Really?" she asked surprised.

Kristy wasn't surprised that she wasn't originally put on the mission. She was surprised that Claire thought she was ready. Kristy shifted in her chair slightly.

“Really,” Claire smiled. “I need people I can trust right now. Not to mention your training in the Deathstrike.” Claire moved forward and placed a hand on Kristy’s shoulder.

“And you’re ready,” Claire grinned. “I know you are. And I got your back.” Claire’s eyes lit up. “And your armour is ready. We have to go pick it up, along with some weapons for you.”

"Awesome!" Kristy said ecstatically, her real combat gear wasn't supposed to be ready for a few more months, "That means I don't have to use that stuff anymore," Kristy pointed to the field bag she had been given earlier in her training, old and used gear lay inside it. Kristy picked up the heavy bag and asked, "Would you like to lead the way captain?"

"Um Kristy?" Claire smiled. "I have something for you." Claire moved to the computer and pushed a button, opening another panel on the table. Inside lay two HK USP Compacts. Claire took them out and handed them to Kristy.

“These used to belong to my father,” They haven’t been used in a while, but I’d like you to have them.” Claire kept smiling. Her father had been gone for a while, and to Claire, Kristy was like family now.

Kristy picked up one of the handguns. It felt good in her hand, and the gift was very generous of Claire. Kristy tucked the two guns into her bag.

"Thank you, I'll make sure to use them well," Kristy said quietly.

“Come on then,” Claire was about to lead Kristy out of the room, when the computer started to make a beeping noise. Claire punched a button and read some information.

“It seems that we have another operative joining us. There is no name listed, only that I should meet with him at the armoury.” Claire took out her cell phone and dialled Malcolm. “Honey, I might be a little late. Could you get everyone on board the Deathstrike for me?” Claire listened to the answer and smiled. “Me too. Gracias amorcito.” Turning off the phone, she turned back to Kristy. “Okay, let’s go.”

Kristy followed Claire out of the briefing room. The two began to walk the route towards the armory. Kristy was excited to get her new field gear.

"So, Claire," Kristy paused, trying to find the right words to say, "What makes you think something is wrong with this op?"

“Well for starters,” Claire lowered her voice. “Since all this mission sounds like is a ghost hunt, there is no need for the team to be this big. Especially since we have Ethan. Normal procedure would be to send in a smaller recon team first to ascertain the problem. Instead we are going in heavy.” Claire paused for a moment as they passed a man in the hall and them turned a comer.

“And then there’s Lyrico. He shouldn’t be here,” Claire looked concerned. “There is no way he should be on a team where at least two of the operatives want him dead.”

"I'm not sure why they would bring Lyrico on board... But do you think that SCAR is hiding something?" Kristy asked, a small amount of silence passed, "Or do you think that they are sending out a bigger group to give a higher chance of success?"

Kristy understood Claire's reasoning, but she was trying to stay optimistic.

“There is more,” Claire glanced around as they arrived at the elevator, Claire pushed the button and the doors opened. Once the doors closed, she turned to Kristy.

With the new addition,” Claire’s expression changed to one of worry. “There are twelve operatives going on this mission. That represents half of the total remaining active operatives in the United States. The Russian branch of SCAR has also taken heavy casualties as well. We are becoming an endangered species. I’ve read the mission briefings. The deaths in a lot of cases aren’t plausible. I knew a lot of the deceased operatives. I really believe a lot of them should still be alive.”

"So you think that SCAR is..." Kristy looked around the elevator, unsure if they were being monitored, she mouthed to Claire, "Killing its own operatives?"

Just then the elevator dinged, and the doors slid open.

Claire immediately reached ot the panel and pushed the button to close then door, and then hit the stop button.

“Honestly,” Claire’s voice was hushed. “I don’t know what to think. But I do know that the most routine missions have turned into a disaster. Normal mission protocols are being ignored. Mission commanders aren’t even being given proper information anymore. You were a marine. What does that sound like to you?”

Kristy laughed at the response she had just barely held back, then stated simply, "I've been on missions that were started with knee jerk decisions or shifty info, but we usually had a lot of resources to use for those missions. To me, it just sounds like poor planning on SCAR's part, which seems strange for such a top secret organization."

“And there has always been on thing that has bothered me,” Claire’s tone was suspicious and her voice still hushed. “On the last mission. That cabin in the woods contained the dossier for every operative on the mission. When a commander is debriefed, it is done telepathically. Standard operatives do paperwork and are asked all kinds of questions. But not me. My mind was probed. So they know about the files, yet nothing was ever done about it. Even when I reported it in person to my superiors, I was told it was being looked into. As far as I can tell, it never has been looked into.”

Kristy looked at Claire with concern, "I think we'll need to keep a watchful eye out on this mission then. There might be more clues lying around. For now," Kristy walked into the armoury, "Let's get my new toys."

Claire led Kristy up to the counter and smiled at the man behind it.

“Kristy, I would like you to meet Charles,” Charles extended his hand towards Kristy. “Think of him like our version of Q from the James Bond movies.”

“Though I have much better toys. I was told you would be coming Kristy,” Charles smiled and shook Kristy’s hand. “Your armour is in the back room,” Charles motioned to a door behind him. “Just head on back and get changed. But before you do, tell me what you need for weapons and ammo, so I can get it together for you.”

(co op post with Cookies)
    Last edited by John; 03-27-2010 at 11:05 PM.

A Storm Is Coming
    fantasy, SF, horror, romance, western, historical fiction, anime/manga, paranormal
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Malcolm's phone vibrated in his pocket as he stood idly by the Deathstrike, arms folded over his broad chest. Reaching into his jeans, Malcolm pulled out the phone. Seeing it was Claire, he made a small smile and answered.

"Hey Claire. Any problems?" he said in a warmer voice, though it was still professional, due to the other operatives around him.

“Honey, I might be a little late. Could you get everyone on board the Deathstrike for me?” her voice answered. With a smirk and a nod, Malcolm acknowledged.

"You bet your superbly formed buttocks. I'll have the thing ready to go before you get here..... God, I wish we were back in Rome. Things were less complicated there." he mused, saying a heartfelt goodbye.

“Me too. Gracias amorcito.” Claire replied, and with that they hung up their phones. Once his phone was back in his pocket, his cold and hard demeanor returned with a vengeance. Those eyes like chips of ice and that face all stony planes and angles.

"Alright maggots, asses on the Deathstrike, double time! Move! Get your behind inside that vehicle before I shoot you another asshole." Malcolm patted his hand on the pilot's side viewport.

"Prep the engines. We're Oscar-Mike as soon as Claire and Kristy are on board." Malcolm yelled through the bulletproof glass. The pilot nodded and gave a thumbs up, starting up the engines. The Chaplain stood on the threshold of the Deathstrike's doorway, waiting semi-impatiently for Claire and Kristy to show themselves.

You need to focus Malcolm. There's a storm coming. Sammael's voice whispered in the Chaplain's head. Malcolm rubbed his temples with his index and middle fingers, kneading circles into the sides of his skull.

The path you walk will only lead to betrayal.

Shut up, Sammael.

Betrayal....

Shut up, Sammael!

Betrayal.... betrayal.... betrayal....

"Shut up!" Malcolm yelled, not even seeming to realize he said what he was thinking aloud. He looked about the cabin at the others and frowned. He didn't care what they thought about him. They could not imagine the burden of being a vessel for the mightiest and most terrifying Archangel. They could not imagine seeing the true faces of demons. They could not fathom being able to hear all of the voices of Heaven. It was a wonder that Malcolm was not so far-gone as Lyrico. Maybe he was, and Heaven was keeping the madness at bay. Malcolm would not doubt it, He created everything, after all.

"C'mon Claire.... where are you?" he muttered under his breath as he awaited her arrival.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Vee made a "la la la I'm not listening to you" gesture at Malcolm as she stepped past him into the craft's cabin. She actually respected Malcolm to some degree, and he wasn't a bad looking guy either. Claire could have done worse. But on that note she definitely thought Malcolm could have done better.

But worrying about other people's relationships was tedious and dull, especially when she had her own budding relationship to think about. She could practically hear Chase's heart beating as she picked a pair of seats and sank into one, motioning for him to sit beside her. Once he was there, she leaned her head back onto his shoulder, twitching lightly.

She frowned down at her right hand as it jerked of its own accord. Her vision had become hazy and the whispers in her ear were loud and distracting. She hadn't slept in too long. But a flight seemed like as good a chance as any to catch some shut eye. She bit her lip, weighing her options. Slamming her head against something hard was the kind of behavior that might alarm Chase... she thought. It was hard to keep her thoughts straight. She didn't know if the first aid kit had enough morphine to knock her out and she wasn't supposed to take any downers without a doctor.

Her heart rate had quickened painfully and she squeezed her eyes shut, desperate to calm herself. In a panic she grabbed Chase's ungloved hand, and their sudden mental union instantly calmed her. In moments, exhaustion weighed on her shoulders, and her eyes fluttered closed as she drifted off to that elusive sanctuary of sleep...

...and seamlessly, she was walking through a forest, barefoot and wearing a white skirt and tank top. It was silent, a deep, resonating silence that echoed in her bones, making her ache from it's heavy weight and filling her with peace and serenity. She happened on a small clearing near a stream, water tumbling soundlessly over rocks. It was pretty place, pristine and untouched by human hands...

...hands. Hands reaching for her. Hands reaching from every direction, grasping at her skin, tearing her clothes, ripping her armor away from her to claw at her vulnerable flesh as the gun in her hand clicked uselessly. Hands... another other things...

... She screamed, the only noise in the forest, and her shriek ripped through the silence. She clutched her head in her hands and knelt near the stream, whimpering. Was there no peace? Was there no place in the world where those awful hands couldn't reach her? Was their no escape from the memories of the terrible things she'd witnessed? Was this the burden she bore for being different...

... different. The word echoed in her mind. Different. Not like the others. Something had been wrong all along. She'd known that from the time she was eight and tried out for elementary track. She hadn't belonged then, and she'd joined the Marines as an MP hoping she'd belong there instead. But she couldn't even manage that. The stares were the worst. The whispers were no better. Half the God-damned platoon had seen her literally step out of the way of a bullet the way a trained fighter stepped away from a drunken brawler's fist. Different. She'd always been different. On the outside. She blinked back furious tears as she was escorted by some suits away from the place she'd dreamed of belonging since she was a child playing with her father's medals. They'd told her she would be reassigned to a special organization. But special, she knew, was just another word for different...

... She blinked at her reflection in the stream, her red hair mused as always and her pale face creased with worry and fear. She sighed, dipping her hand into the cool water and splashing some on her face, hoping to wash away the taint that was forever on her, lurking behind her eyes...

And when she looked back into the water she stared into eyes that weren't her own, blue eyes on a familiar face that stared sadly up at her. Vee stared back, letting a slow breath out through her mouth.

" I'm sorry..." she whispered.

“ And so you should be,” a man’s voice sounded all around Vee. “ Look at what you’ve become.” There was some rustling in the trees and Vee’s father stepped out into the open with a perturbed look on his face. “ I was so proud of you that day you went into the military. And look at you now. Taking orders from some bitch who wouldn’t last five seconds in a real military organization.” Vee’s father shook his head. “ I’m so disappointed in you.”

Vee leapt to her feet and stumbled backwards, eyes wide in fear.

" No, Dad, I'm sorry... I didn't want to... I didn't mean to..." tears were forming in her eyes and pleaded with her.

“ And is that what a good soldier does,” his voice became harsher. “ How could you possibly follow someone who lets a child killer live? You are a disgrace to the military.”

" No! I tried! I tried to kill him! But that's not right..." Vee gripped her skull, trying to think clearly. " I filed the complaints, the system should've... he should've been..."

“ You’re no better than she is,” he hissed the words at her. “ I have no daughter.” And with that he turned and walked back into the trees.

" No, wait! Dad!" Vee broke into a sprint to chase after her father, but only got a few steps before she tripped and slammed into the ground. She groaned in pain, rolling to her back and covering her eyes. " I tried, Dad..."

“ Are you sad?” The little girl’s voice came from behind Vee. “ Would you like to hold Mister Binky? That always helps me when I’m sad.”

Vee sat up and spun around, hurrying to her feet as she regarded the child. " Who are you?" she asked, wiping her eyes quickly.

“ My name is Lilith,” she smiled, holding out the teddy bear to Vee. “ Go on. Mister Binky likes to be hugged.”

Vee accepted the teddy bear, holding it in her hands and staring down at it, bewildered.

“ It will make you feel better,” Lilith looked at Vee. “ I promise.”

Vee shrugged and hugged the bear, mostly to oblige the little girl. She was surprised when she did indeed feel better.

“ May I ask you why you are crying,” Lilith’s tone was concerned.

Vee sat down on the forest floor to face the child, biting her lip. " My dad is... ashamed of me. I didn't do what I should've done." she muttered, clutching the bear.

“ But why can’t you do it now?” Lilith tilted her head sideways and eyed Vee curiously.

" Because of stupid things... like the good of the mission... and chaotic destabilization... and the court marshal." Vee said, gnawing on her lip harder.

“ That sounds really silly,” Lilith giggled. “ I would do anything to make my daddy proud.” Lilith looked down at the ground and stared for a moment. She then looked back into Vee’s eyes, grinning wickedly. “ I bet I could help you.”

" How?" Vee asked, tasting blood on her tongue.

“ What if I could make it so you could make your daddy proud, and not be any trouble for it?” Lilith knelt down next to Vee. “ If I could do that, would you play with me. I really like to play. I have some really good games.”

Vee smiled at the girl. She'd always liked children. Chase's face flashed through her mind, and the passing hope that maybe some day...

" That would be good." she said, mostly just playing along with the child.

“I mean if it makes your daddy proud, it must be a good thing,” Lilith pointed to the trees. “And besides, what would she want.” The figure of a little girl stepped out of the forest. She walked closer to Vee and had tears in her eyes. When she was a few feet away, she stopped.

“ Why didn’t anyone stop him?” The girl was sobbing and put her hands up to her face. “ If only someone had of stop stopped him, I wouldn’t look like this.” The girl took her hands away from her face and in an instant she was covered in blood. It dripped from the hole in her head and what was left of her mouth seemed to smile.

Vee stared, wide eyed, fighting the urge to shriek at the child.

" Oh god. Oh god." she whispered, bile rising in her throat. " I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I'll kill him. I'll put a bullet through his skull, just please... please..."

The little girl disappeared and Lilith started to speak. “ I will give you the opportunity to kill Lyrico,” Lilith smiled. “ You will get away with no repercussions and not only that, Claire will thank you for it. She will give you the respect you deserve. How does that sound?"

" Like a dream come true... what's the catch?" Vee asked, eying Lilith.

“ In exchange,” Lilith licked her lips. “ You will play a game with me. Not just yet mind you. When the time is right, I will call you to me. And when we play, I will give you the power to always make your daddy proud. I will make you unstoppable.”

Vee's eyes changed from a vibrant green to a cold, flat, dead green as the other part of her took over.

" You want me to kill for you." she said quietly.

“ I want you to make your daddy proud,” Lilith’s eyes seemed to light up. “ And I want you to help me make my daddy proud. But you can’t tell anyone. If you tell anyone I won’t wanna play with you anymore. And that would be bad.” Lilith’s expression became serious.

" I can be quiet." Vee said. " I'll do it. Make me strong enough."

“Excellent,” Lilith grinned evilly. “Then take my hand to seal the deal.”

Vee took the offered hand and immediately writhed in agony on the forest floor as what felt like molten lava shot up her arm. Her mouth gaped in a soundless scream as what seemed to be an eternity passed before she could snatch her hand away, immediately clutching her hand to her chest. She shot away from the girl, looking at her hand and the M that was now branded there. Her eyes flitted back to the girl, breathing shakily, questioning her silently.

“ Vee, you now work for me,” Lilith giggled. “ Ooh I made a rhyme.” Lilith paused and she smiled at Vee. “ I give you my word that Lyrico will die by your hand. In exchange, when the time comes, you will do what I tell you. Until then, no one will be able to read you telepathically or empathically. No one will ever know this happened except for you and I. Do you understand?”

" Not even Chase?" Vee asked.

“ Not even Chase,” Lilith whispered.

Vee blinked sadly. " Alright." she said. " I understand."

“Oh and one more thing,” Lilith’s voice had a playful tone to it. “If you even think of trying to fuck with me, I will let Mister Binky eat you.” Lilith disappeared and the teddy bear in Vee’s hands grew to over nine feet tall. The creature was muscular and had an elongated snout filled with rows of razor sharp teeth. It’s body was covered in scales and long bony fingers ended in sharp talons. It grabbed onto Vee and picked her up, moving her towards it’s gaping maw, bile running from the corners of it’s mouth.

Vee bolted awake with a gasp. The plane was flying. The forest was gone. It was a dream. She hurried to look at her hand and found it unmarred. The only thing left of the dream was the echo of agony up her arm and the quiet sadness for what she had unwittingly lost.

She didn't notice her other hand touching Chase's, because nothing happened when it did.

(co-op with Naz)
    Last edited by The Gypsy Queen; 03-28-2010 at 06:48 AM.

The Queen is back and rocking out.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast