Page 153 of 156 FirstFirst ... 103151152153154155 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 1554

Thread: WH40K General Discussion

June MotM 2014
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

That’s incredibly disappointing. I think I said it before but I had, and heard, such high hopes for 8th.

Have you played the BFG game? The computer game, not the tabletop.

RPA Honor Guard
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

am I wrong for thinking the humans in Avatar were the good guy? I mean, the humans needed the unobtanium, and they tried to be diplomatic, but the Na'avi are just...backwrds and stuck in their ways.

Spoiler: Things I like 

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cfavano View Post
    am I wrong for thinking the humans in Avatar were the good guy? I mean, the humans needed the unobtanium, and they tried to be diplomatic, but the Na'avi are just...backwrds and stuck in their ways.
    In the context of 40k: Full marks for your conspicuous endorsement of Xenophobia and Xenocide, citizen. Have this coupon for one Corpse Starch. Never forget that we are watching you, always.

In the context of Avatar: I freely admit that I didn't like Avatar, so not overly sympathetic to the Na'avi, and irked that the humans displayed an atrocious amount of movie villain stupidity in how they operated - granted, humans are dumb and greedy and will (mostly) never learn was a theme and I'm not optimistic that that'll improve, as we're (eventually) in for sequels.

Smart villains would take the intelligence about the Na'avi collected from the folks who were returned and know to target that big ol' glowing tree to kill everything on the planet. I'd expect that a governmental/coalition of nations military response would take the place of the scummy PMCs of the first movie...and if they're in any way competent (unlikely, given the nature of the movies...) make that the first target from orbit. Bingo, bango, movie's done in 10.

In the context of History: Yeah...that rhetoric has been the justification for a lot of shitty deeds done.

For comparison's sake, exchange the McGuffin for something of value [land - and more specifically what's in or can be grown on it] and Pandora(?) for any number of places in the world like Africa, Asia, North and South America (or literally anywhere in the world, if you go back far enough) and diplomacy as less diplomacy and more dictating terms.

RPA Honor Guard
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

i wonder what corpse starch tastes like. like, do you eat it raw, or do you do stuff to it?

I've always found the concept ot recycled food to be neat, and hey even do it in judge dredd

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

i wonder what corpse starch tastes like. like, do you eat it raw, or do you do stuff to it?

I imagine like your recently deceased neighbor with assorted filler (shredded letters to home from Guardsmen, dead animals from the Imperial Arena, and clumsy employee at the rendering plant) dehydrated and vacuum packed - flavor packets not included, pleb.

I've always found the concept ot recycled food to be neat, and hey even do it in judge dredd
    Keep this in mind whenever soylent viridians is referenced in the Commissar Cain novels...

RPA Honor Guard
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

oh i know that soylent green is people

never seen the movie tho

June MotM 2014
    Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

On the topic of Avatar, what was stopping them from using their space capable craft and flying into orbit. I’m pretty sure the ship they turned into a bomber was the very same as what brought Jake on world. Then out of orbit on a direct course for the tree? Why did they have to go the old fashion way and fly all the way there?

RPA Honor Guard
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

hubris?

anyway, the sequels would have earth sending massive fleet and do a full scale invasion

also the group that was on the world was commercial/scientific with security forces, I think thats one reason why they didn't think right. but a dedicated military force? Planet's conquered in a week tops.

RPA Honor Guard
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

June MotM 2014
    Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

hubris?

anyway, the sequels would have earth sending massive fleet and do a full scale invasion

also the group that was on the world was commercial/scientific with security forces, I think thats one reason why they didn't think right. but a dedicated military force? Planet's conquered in a week tops.
    Is that confirmed? I’ve read nothing into the new Avatar movies. I wasn’t a huge fan of the original.

Would there be a need for a full interplanetary invasion? I don’t think they mentioned that Earth was in dire straights. Only that unobtainium was incredibly valuable, which justified their mining operation and their reasoning for violence. Was that there “peaceful” attempts failed and that they weren’t human. So they weren’t under the obligation of human rights.

I guess you could justify an invasion being spurred on by the company itself. They could spin the story and use their political influence.

Page 153 of 156 FirstFirst ... 103151152153154155 ... LastLast