Thread: The Tribune - January 21st edition

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)

Default The Tribune - January 21st edition

Things were running as usual in the Tribune staffroom this week; Imp laughing maniacally in the corner, smudges of ink on his face and hands; bass blared through the office from the dimly lit back room where Naz sat, his pupils slowly forming corners as he stared at the tiny screen in front of him.

The last thing any of the slaves... err.. I mean, staff... expected was Miss Fortune, flying out of her office in a fit of fury, outdated Tribune issues being flung into the air behind her.
    "What is the meaning of this?!" she shouted furiously, and I squinted at the paper she was brandishing in my face, recognizing it as the December 14th issue of the Tribune. For a moment, I was confused - then I spotted the comments section.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fortune View Post
    I feel like I'm going to be killed as an editor and replaced with a robot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindless Invalid View Post
    *shifty eyes*

Don't look at me.
    I had only meant it as a passing joke, but Fortune's eyes had taken on an ominous red glow, and with that last, furious look, she told me I could 'EDIT THE DAMN PAPER MYSELF THEN,' and stormed out.

"Bu... but I just make the games..."

It was too late. She was gone. Once we'd finished the staff party, those of us ho were'nt nursing too bad a headache, and hadn't resigned in protest at Fortunes' departure got to work to bring you
    The RPA Tribune, Jan 21 issue!

Breaking News!!!

Signups for the 2013 Official Rumble on RPA have officially begun!! You've only got till February 21st to get those characters in, and spectators and competitors alike are positively growling with excitement!

If you are going to enter, make sure you check out the rules and character creation guide.

The Storyteller

The front door swung open to a pale faced Amber, her hair tousled from feverishly raking her fingers through it to calm her nerves - though to her dismay, it only agitated Elizabeth, her resident little girl ghost, even more. The sounds upstairs had not stopped, though Sam's appearance had ceased the ruckus. The relief on her face was evident in the small smile Sam cracked.

"I'm so glad you're here," said Amber, heaving a sigh.

Sam was quiet, but allowed a reassuring hand to rest on her shoulder as he was guided inside. "Things look... different," said Imp. His statement was met with a nervous chuckle from Amber.

"Yeah, sorry," apologized Amber, "It's been awhile since you were over last. Things have just been.. hectic."

Sam nodded, "No, no, it's fine."

Amber tilted her head, furrowing her brow. "You alright?" she asked, skepticism oozing from her question.

"Yeah, of course. Just you know," said Sam, trailing off, "Worried about you is all. You don't call me often."

"So-" a shrill shriek cut their conversation short - Elizabeth had darted through a wall, her normal appearance distorted and fuzzy. To Amber, the girl's terrorized face was clear as day, despite the 'shattered' appearance she managed to manifest. The friends extended a look before the sound of crashing glass was heard upstairs. "Oh no," Amber whined, "I just replaced that vase last week!"

"Well, let's get going before things get worse."

It wasn't like Sam to take charge, though with her fried nerves, she allowed him to lead the way up the creaking old, wooden stairs, following close behind. Elizabeth had disappeared after making herself known in the entrance way, leaving her alone with an unusual Sam as her protector. Being the Medium, she should've been the one in the lead, but she figured things might be easier for Sam since his sensitivity to the paranormal was a lot less than what she grew up with. An old woman peaked her head through the center of one of the guest room doors, shouting obscenities about all the noise. She tried to reassure the elderly woman, but received an unpleasant hand gesture for her actions.

The sounds of boxes falling in the attic grew louder and more frequent as they approached the drop down ladder, which was left open thanks to Elizabeth and her fear. "Stay here," said Sam, one hand reaching to grab his flash light, the other taking hold of the ladder's rungs. He froze as a hand touched his back, tugging at his shirt. He turned to look into the concerned eyes of Amber, displeased her with lack of professionalism.

"Be careful, okay? If you feel sick, don't stay-"

"-I know what I'm doing," he retorted, pulling away from her grasp and ascended the ladder into the attic. He was prepared for whatever had manifested its self up in a dark, crowded, dust-covered attic, but the absence of paranormal entities struck him as odd. He had been in the business for ages - he knew what he felt was a true haunting, however... he couldn't be too sure about what lived in this damp, god forsaken place.

His flash lights dull beam bounced off an oddly colored surface, and upon investigation, the tattered white cloth covering up a rose colored mirror had been torn askew from a fallen box. He stepped over a few fallen books that spilled from the box like its innards. A misstep caused him to stumble when his boot hit an oddly organic structure. Whatever it was, making a bizarre hissing sound for darting off. He tried following its movements with his flash light, but it was moving too fast - like a cheetah dashing across the Savanna grasslands.

Another box crashed to the floor, and he scarcely had time to move before a black shape lunged at him through mid air. He felt claws lashing through the air, slashing wildly as he held whatever it was by the fur - skin? - whatever it was. Red eyes gleamed in the darkness, the mass squirming mass hissing and sputtering.

This has to be a joke, though Imp as he kicked some boxes out of his way and descended down the attic ladder, the monster held an arm length away. The shocked look on Amber's face was a memorable sight. Her expression immediately shifted from shock to disappointment to anger in a matter of seconds.

"It's just a cat."

Sam nodded, "Yeah, just a cat."

"But.. It scared Elizabeth," Amber went on to say, "No way an animal could scare an apparition that bad!"

"Well," he shrugged, dangling the scruffy black cat precariously over a sharp edged table, "I guess even ghosts are scared of somethin'." She wasn't pleased, "I can get rid of it if you want."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever - just get it out of here."

-------------

Outside on the street, Imp's appearance returned to normal, earning him a very hostile yowl from the flea-bitten feline. He shook it to knock some sense into his pea brain, before lifting it to face level. "You're a feisty little demon. Don't you know ghosts can see through your disguise?" Red eyes darted away, but there was a distinct droop in the creature's shoulders. "Normally, I'd let you go - seeing what you are - but my pets are seething with anger and they're very hungry."

Things went back to normal in Amber's home - or as normal as it would ever be for her. Whatever true form the feline possessed was stripped from it without a shred of mercy from Imp. With such a flesh eating beast, why show it any compassion compared to the horrendous things it did to its prey? Sam eventually woke up but the whole ordeal shook him too much for him to reveal who the person really was that solved her paranormal issue. Would she even believe him? No. He didn't even believe himself.

----END----

by Miss Fortune.

-

Want to see your own short story here? Submission rules are changing ~ we're now accepting short, one-shot stories of up to 200 words, so get your writing pieces in to Mindless Invalid for a spotlight in the paper and a special, shiny prize!

Remember to keep your writing compliant with the forum rules and the content PG13 or below, please!

table of contents
    Page 1;
    introduction - breaking news - the Storyteller
    Page 2;
    roleplay advertisements - private spotlight
    member of the week - from the mouth of the members
    Page 3;
    the laughing stock - the skeptic review

Spoiler: Great New RP's looking for players! 
    Click here daily to vote for RPA!

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)

Let's get the Roleplay's started!
    On Your Own | Lithe Paws - Wolf RP | Azae - A World At War | In The End | The Last of the Arcane People | Life in the Combat Academy | The Dragons of Darkness | Agerorbis | Dragon Nation | The 4 powers | The Wolves Last Stand | Lord of the Rings: A New Chapter | TRON: Revolution | SWAT Kats: Radical Battalion | Hogwarts, The New Generation! | Can you be A Guardian? | Gotham Revisited | Soul Eater | Cosmic Conquest | From the ashes of past | The Lurking Horror | [System] Scion: Preventing the End | Surviving Extinction: A Witcher's Tale | A Black Tree Friday | Helthus, City of Beasts | Death and Fire | Escape | Briarcliff Mental Institution | Flares of the Empire | The End Of All That Is Holy |Whispers of the Past Chpt 2: The Dawning

Private Roleplay Spotlight

Browsing the private section this week, an interesting remake of a classic fantasy caught my eye.

Their story follows Marilyn, personal executive assistant to Alanoth James Kynareth, owner of Casamir Financial Incorporated and business kingpin in the city they both call home. The two make for an odd pairing - one preferring to catch a taxi home than spend her earnings on a vehicle of her own, the other allowing; and encouraging, his riches to speak for him. The two do a wonderful job of hinting at the inexplicable attraction they feel toward each other, while their surface emotions tell them the opposite.

When an old beggar woman approaches Kynareth, and is rudely rebutted, things start to get interesting... well, I'll just let you read for yourself;

Quote Originally Posted by Alanoth View Post
    As Alanoth waited at the last light between him and home, he thought for a moment as he often did about his assistant. Why was she so enduring despite his anger issues and rudeness? IT had always perplexed him how Ms. Potts did it, but then again she was old and so was more patient with age.

So why does Mary, Marl...Marilyn, put up with it? She was the only assistant I've ever had who didn't frown even once at the workload the first week and the only time I've seen her tired she hid it quickly. Maybe she wants to keep looking good, which isn't too hard for her. A frown does supposedly detract from one's looks.

Alanoth was startled as he heard a tapping at his window, and he looked out at the old beggar woman with his nose wrinkled in disgust. Great, now he would have to get the window washed! He angrily rolled down the window as the light turned green, then gave her the one finger salute. "Go die in a ditch where you belong, hag!" Then he pushed her away and drove off with tires squealing. What did he look like, a freaking charity?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Natora View Post
    The old woman stumbled back as he pushed at her. She stood there, watching him speed off down the street. "We shall see then on Monday. We shall see," she said to herself before disappearing back into the darkness of one of the nearby alley ways.
    Though not yet far into their story,

Natora and Alanoth's Beauty and the Beast
    has definitely peaked my curiosity - can't wait to find out what happens next, guys!

Member of the Week

This weeks' member of the week is a friendly, fun member whose contributed to RPA in lots of ways! Just take a look at the multiple rp's she's GM'd and participated in, the great works of art in her gallery and creative writing thread, or the fact that she's just reached the 10,000 post mark!

This popular member has many interests - she's a member of seven groups on RPA, including the RPA Book Club, Minecrafters! and Animals of RPA.

As if all that isn't already enough to earn her our respect and recognition, she's also got a couple of awards under her belt! So, in case you don't know who I'm talking about already (and if her friends list is anything to go by, you probably do) congratulations to this weeks Member of the Week;

P.K!

From the Mouth of the Members
    by G/Mindless

BeeBear
    GirlyWoman
    SoulReaper
    Auki
    Downtown. My favorite place of RPA is the 1x1 section. I'm busy and have a hard time keeping up with group RPs, so 1x1 RPs are ideal for me. I also am happy to have found a few good RP partners, such as Cesare and bekijayy. I also really appreciate the polite and helpful mods! My favorite feature is definently the friend feed on our personal pages. It lets friends join friends role plays.
    My favorite place is the mature section because it has deeper and darker stories that really help character development.
    Itís difficult to choose just one place on RPA as Ďmy favouriteí and, although I do love the Roleplaying Areas, Iíd probably have to go with the Creative Corner. Thereís some amazing talent on the site, and browsing through the art and literature there really helps to spark my inspiration when Iím having a temporary writerís block.
    Hmm ... I don't really go out looking for new stories. I'm generally invited, and if it seems like it's run by people who know what they're doing, I'll usually join. I like to see a well-written recruitment post with some detail. In 1x1 RPs, I like to see at least one idea so that I know that that person is able to contribute his or her own ideas. For a group RP, I like to see a detailed background and plotline. Mainly what attracts me to a role play is a title that says just enough to entice you in, a really good plot that can morph into a great story, and good selection of people all over the site for variety.
    What attracts me to new roleplays isnít necessarily the story itself. Although a fresh and original plotline is nice, I donít feel itís everything. In my opinion, the most important thing is a dedicated and friendly GM Ė When you can see theyíve put a lot of effort into the roleplay & OOC, and they seem willing to work with the players to make it the best game possible, thatís what tempts me to join.

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)

Laughing Stock #7-C
    By Cap'n Awesomesauce

They say cocaine is bad for you... well so is 'discussing' politics with opposing parties so STFU and leave me be!

LOL WUT?

"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." - G.W. Bush

Leoni was kind enough to share something quite epic with me the other night on YIM. Now, even though this wasn't posted on RPA (until now), idc and will post any material FROM RPA members whether it be posted on the site or on chat.
    Enjoy! oh and NSFW

I'd also like to note that there are some creative topics currently leading the way in Madness.
    Check that shit out, yo!

Pin Cushion Man is my hero!
    If only he could have done away with them all...

OB****UARIES

Cause my opinions are THE means to the end for these threads.
    Did that make sense?

Ask the Opposite Sex
    Sure, you could place a Q and await for a single reply from the opposite sex oooorrrrrr go on Yahoo Answers or some site where you can receive a collective of answers that may better solve your query.
    Closed.

Woman fired for being too Attractive?
    She's a succubus and got caught before she could destroy the business. Nuff said.
    Closed.

NRA Facepalm
    It is the NRA! What more do you expect from them?
    Closed.

SKYPE FACTOR
    As always, these chats are NSFW and may in fact offend some readers. Please take care.

Spoiler: BOO 

WIPEOUT
    ...the world
    Due to high heating bills and low wage for being part of the Tribune, the Wipeout will be postponed for the next edition due to the field being nothing but ice.
    Why?
    Because slipping and sliding across the course isn't what we're looking for in Wipeout.

What?
    IDK! It didn't make much sense to me either. Probably high at the time.

COMIC TONIC

If only it could cure AIDS

The greatest piece of crap ever related to FF7 aside from FF7 itself.

___
    END

Skeptic Review
    by Nazgul

The Most Disappointing Movies of 2012

In my last entry I said I was going to do the worst movies, but upon reflection I thought it better to list the top five movies I was most disappointed in. The reason for this the fact that I don't feel qualified enough to call any movie the worst ever made... unless it's The Phantom Menace. I also found I had high hopes for a lot of movies in 2012 only to be let down. So that being said, I just want to remind everyone that this is my own opinion and shouldn't be taken as gospel. After all, I'm not Anne Bonny.

Here we go..

Number 5 - I want to state right from the get go, I usually love the movies that this director puts out. So it pains me to put a Christopher Nolan movie on this list. But yes, I was incredibly disappointed in The Dark Knight Rises. In fact, I haven't been this disappointed in a Nolan film since 2002s Insomnia.

So as if one silly voice wasn't enough from Christian Bale as Batman, we also get Tom Hardy doing his best Sean Connery impression as Bane. Seriously I really kept expecting him to refer to someone as Moneypenny at some point.

I also had a problem with the pacing, which I felt to be incredibly slow for the most part. So slow in fact, that it could of cured Insomnia of what ailed it. Throw in the fact that this movie stars two of my favourite actors(Michael Caine and Gary Oldman) and we barely get to see them did nothing to take away from my disappointment.

And finally, the twist. I guess that's what you'd call it and anyone who's seen the movie knows what I'm referring to. If you haven't, well I'll just say it has to do with who Bane is. The moment they introduced the idea, the entire movie was spoiled for me. I knew exactly that he couldn't be who they assumed he was and knew exactly who was in cahoots with who as would anyone who either follows the comics or has played Batman Arkham City.

Number 4 Ė If you haven't figured out from last weeks list, I have a bit of a thing for comic book movies. This comes form being exposed to them at a very early age. One of the fondest memories I have of my father was him giving me my first copy of Howard the Duck and Spider Man. That being said, I was incredibly stoked when I heard that they were going to reboot the Spider Man movies, especially after the abysmal move that was Spider Man 3.

Now my disappointment is mostly superficial, for lack of a better word as I really had only one problem with this movie. It wasn't the actors, or even the change to Spidey's origin story that irked me. Right form the get go it was the choice of villain. Of all of Spider Man's villains in the comic books, my least favourite was always the Lizard. And just when I thought Lizzy couldn't be any worse, they make a giant CGI thng to run around and commit wanton acts of destruction. Still, the movie makes me hopeful that the next Spider Man movie will be awesome.

Number 3 - So yeah, I do like super hero movies and action stuff, but sometimes a good comedy is just what I need to get through the day. And what better way I thought, to have a laugh than to watch a movie about a pot smoking teddy bear voiced by Seth Macfarlane. And with Mila Kunis acting as eye candy, it had to be a good movie right?

Wrong!

Honestly, I found it hard to laugh out loud through most of Ted. I think this was one of those times that the best stuff was in the trailers. Perhaps it would have been better if the movie had of only been two minutes long as it got old far too quick. Marky Mark was incredibly unlikable in the childish role he played as he has to choose between Ted and his girlfriend(Kunis). I actually found myself shaking my head a lot through this one as he seemed to only get dumber as the movie went on. And I actually believe I was a little dumber myself at the end of the movie due to my brain cells committing suicide.

Number 2 - There seems to be this thing lately in the horror genre, especially in remakes, where they have to give the evil things a more pronounced back story. Take for example the Halloween remakes. Seeing the life that Michael Myers had and how he became the evil butcher knife wielding maniac did nothing but take away from the things that made him scary.

Somehow, I got some of the same feeling from Prometheus. The prequel to Alien showed the origin of Geiger's creature, and to be honest, I found it to be silly. In fact, I found the movie hard to follow at a lot of points as I was finding it very hard to be vested in the unlikable characters, most of whom could have gone by the name Dead Meat.

I would love to go into more detail about the movie. Unfortunately, even after sitting through it twice, I honestly found it completely unmemorable and I refuse to sit through it a third time so I can rip apart. It's not worth it.

Number 1 - My first instinct was to put Battleship here. Truth be told though, I really had no expectations for this one. Hell the trailer told me this movie would suck, but I had to watch it anyway hoping I was wrong.

For me, it was Resident Evil Retribution that let me down the most. As a fan of the movies, I couldnít believe what this movie was. With a run time of 95 minutes, about three quarters of it was the world's longest action sequence, and it got boring fast.

I could go on and on about this one but you can check out my review in the first edition of the RPA Tribune.

So there they are, the five movies I was most disappointed in. And again, I don't think all of these movies are truly bad, I just felt let down by them.

Before I go, I want to mention that a day or two after the last issue of the tribune I had the opportunity to see Django Unchained. I highly recommend this movie and had I seen it before writing my Top 5 movies list last issue, it would have a had a spot for sure.

I also want to mention, if there's something you want to see me review, feel free to drop me a PM or post below to let me know what it is. Sometimes it's hard for me to know exactly what I want to do a write up for and all suggestions are welcome.

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)

Better late than never, right?

Arch-angel of Epica
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Indeed

Epic job on this issue everyone

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy/ Macabre/ Horror/ Parody/ FanFic/ SciFi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well done guys, it was beautiful
    Have a Question?*World Building and Persistant World How To*The Mentor Program*Battle Arena*Roleplay of The Week<3
    *Roleplaying Game Directory*

I'm going to be quiet for the next few days, so any RP's I'm currently in, I apologise. For the reason why, check my latest blog post.
    Thanks <3

Check out RP's that I GM/Participate in/Think are really cool below!

Spoiler: Roll up roll up, come see the misadventures of Skizzy! 

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)

Thanks Ladies <3