Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The RPA Tribune! February 12th edition~

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)

Default The RPA Tribune! February 12th edition~

Hello readers, and welcome to the latest (in more than one sense of the word) issue of the Tribune! Apologies for the wait - we've decided to go with wild dogs as this week's excuse. Or possibly rabid squirrels.

I'll let your imagination do the rest.

Breaking News!!!

In case you haven't already heard, our member of the month for February is Troy!! So if you haven't already, head on over and congratulate him!

Our Love and Pirates writing contest is nearing the closing date for submissions - as is the new banner contest! So get those last minute submissions in, people!!!

Aaaand rating your mature and private threads correctly has never been so simple with the new sticky threads in both forums, detailing the rating rules!

The Storyteller

Since we had no submissions this week (come on people...) I took a stroll through the creative writing forum, and decided to share with you this piece from Dani Cojo's Prose/Poetry that seemed very fitting for the month of love;

"What Is Love" - Dani Cojo

What is love?

Is it when your eyes canít stay off that one person across the room, and your mind swirls with worries and questions because you donít want to stare for too long, but you just canít tear your gaze away?

Or when your heart beats far too fast for your body to handle, until it feels like itís going to explode into a million ruby shards because he spoke to you for the first time?

Or is it when your lungs refuse to function, and your breath is taken away just by his looks, or his voice, his personality, or a beautiful and harmonious combination of the three?

Or that moment when your entire being is trembling and goosebumps are dancing along your skin just from being closer than you ever would have imagined?

Is it when he holds your hand, and you can feel your palm growing warmer where your skin connects?

Or when he steals your first kiss and claims your lips as his own in a completely innocent and romantic way that causes your knees to quake and your heart to flutter?

Is it when the line between friendship, romance, lust, and every other fond feeling you have is blurred together into a mosh posh of emotion you canít hold back?

Maybe, itís something much more deep than how your body is reacting.

Maybe itís when you want to spend every moment with that person because you feel so at peace with him?

Or when heís able to draw you from your shell, exposing you to the wonders of life outside of your comfort zone; allowing you to thrive and experiment with optimistic and care free activities by supporting you with his own charming and outgoing charisma.

Is it when you can share every detail of your life, your thoughts, your heart, without worry of being shut down or embarrassed because you know in the end heíll understand?

Or even when he doesnít understand, heíll do everything he can to make you feel comfortable and beautiful and perfect in every way?

Is love when you feel like youíve lost a piece of yourself when he walks away, because he truly is your better half?

Or is it when he comes back and your face aches from the laughter and smiles that instantly escape your lips when you draw him close to yourself in a hug?

Is it when you want to show him off and introduce him to your family, because you honestly want him to be with you for the rest of your life, if not more?

Maybe itís that moment when you think how much you love having that him around; when your entire core is screaming to finally just give in to the emotion.

When your thoughts of him revolve around those three important and life changing words, and youíre too afraid to say them because you fear rejection, or going too fast and burning out, or mistaking true love for something else, or a terrifying combination of the three?

What is love?

And when is it time to give into it?

Last edited by G; 02-12-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Spoiler: Great New RP's looking for players! 
    Click here daily to vote for RPA!

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)

Open games, just waiting for you!!!

Fedalia Academy|Who Knew We Could Do It...|The powers in plain sight|Too late, the World has Ended!|Monster Hunter|Since We Became...|Resident Evil: The Nightmare Begins|Sword Art Online|Apotheosis|Castle Crashing the Internet|Whispers of the Past Chpt 3: The Rising|Malifaux: The Machinations of Fate

February Pet of the Month

Mindless Invalid's Chihuahua Poppet!

Spoiler: Censored due to extreme levels of cute. 

Well, technically she's my brothers, but she loves me the most! She's a purebred longhair Chihuahua, and she's three. Normally I'm not a big fan of little dogs, but you'll hardly ever hear a bark (or more specifically, a yap) from her! She looks hilarious strolling along next to my tall, skinny, tattooed brother, and she loves car rides a little too much - we have to keep an eye on her when we're walking to make sure she doesn't just jump in when someone opens their door! She's an absolute bundle of sunshine, and even though she occasionally pees on the bathroom floor, I love her to pieces! According to my brother, she works great as a pick up line, as well...

Character Spotlight
    by Mindless/G

The continent of Cyren is under siege as the vicious King Luthor drives his armies south, crushing all in his path in a furious attempt at total domination of the land! Fortunately for all concerned, Carth Skrift is close at hand, ready to raise his sword for whoever will hire him... and blissfully unaware of the part he is about to play in the events unfolding.

The solitary half-orc is definitely someone I'd want by my side in the face of an invading army, with a devil-may-care attitude and intimidating presence, not to mention his aptitude in combat - skills he learned during his time with the Rangers, an elite organisation practised in everything from tracking to druidic magic!

And if that's not enough to convince you that Carth deserves our character spotlight this week, here's a taste of him IC;

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadeofBlue View Post
    His blue eyes gazed into the fireplace of the inn. It was something he'd always found comfort in, ever since he was a child. The flames danced and crackled with life, and the warmth felt good in the cool, Autumn night. They'd arrived in Ostbaum, and were now staying in one of the smaller inns on the outskirts of town. Carth's nose wrinkled in disgust when he considered the job he'd been given.

He was guarding a lowly lord traveling to this meeting of Kings. So lowly was he that he had been forced to pay for room in some dank inn outside of the aristocratic sections of the city. He was asleep upstairs. Carth meanwhile, sat downstairs in the main floor of the inn, finding no sleep. He gazed out a nearby window, seeing a crescent moon hanging proudly in a cloudless night sky. Tomorrow he'd show the lord to the Castle, and be free after that. It was something he couldn't wait for. This lord was particularly obnoxious, jabbering excitedly to his advisers and peers along the way about the opportunities for diplomacy and alliances, such blatant political opportunism disgusted the half-orc mercenary, though perhaps his way wasn't much better.

What was he doing anyway? He'd spent the last few years wandering aimlessly, taking jobs where he could find them and sleeping in whatever bed was open. Yet, at the same time, was there any justification in having some kind of plan, like this irritating lord? To be a man who dedicated himself wholly to achieving a single goal? How strange that also seemed. How frustrating it all was.

He looked back into the flames, allowing himself to escape those feelings of uncertainty that had plagued him lately. He made a note then and there to explore the city and escape his unease with some of Ostbaum's pleasures and comforts.
    TheShadeofBlue has certainly intrigued me with Carth ~ looking forward to seeing where his six-foot-tall attitude takes him next!

from On the Ultimate Origin of Things.

The artist spotlight.
    by Kris.

Because of his depart from the site, I'd like to take a moment and dedicate an entree for Housemaster.

Housemaster is one of the most brilliant writers of the site, in charge of many bizarre, fun and amusing threads and posts (such as this one) but also the master of the words and stories, and one of the best RPers I got to work with.

His writing is amazing, and inspiring.

Be it the J.G Wiser Collection, where he decided to bring forth a story of a fiction side character from a roleplay, into the stage.

His poems in Echoes are beautiful and well worded.

Even his silly works (like this one) are worthy of some attention!!!!

House, wherever you are, I hope you'll never stop writing and return to us someday.

We are always eager to read more!!!

::Member of the Week::
    By TheTeeJaii

Wow, Member of the Week is NOT an easy decision to make, considering the level of talent, compassion and general awesomeness that our members hold. Meanwhile, I have decided to choose this member purely on the basis that they are simply always friendly and bubbly. Seriously, I've never seen this girl sad or mean in any way. Her role-playing abilities are outstanding, and I can say from experience that she is a truly brilliant person to work with when role-playing.
    Not only that, but she also contributes to the RPA Vlog Thread, which few members do! I seriously suggest you go watch, it really shows just how sweet and downright fantastic she is.
    So, Without further ado, I wish to announce this week's MotW to be the one, The only, The incredible

but don't take my word for it! Check out her Characters! They're extraordinary.

Congrats, Extra! I know you more than deserve it, and everyone here on the Tribune congratulate you!
    Last edited by G; 02-12-2013 at 09:33 PM.

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)

Ask Amber
    Advice from the Tribune's anonymous wise woman. Do you have a question for Amber? Questions can be PM'd to Mindless Invalid, and you're free to remain anonymous.

Spoiler: The answers are one persons opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt.

I find myself instinctually sticking to the same kind of characters in rps. What do you recommend I do to help me break out of my comfort zone in writing?

Well, the ultimate goal is to be able to create your own complex, living characters by yourself. If you are having trouble or sticking to only one "type" I would try loosely basing characters off people you know irl. If someone has a personality that you want to incorporate, or some pet peeve that is unique it might provide the inspiration you need to break out. Try also getting ideas from characters from stories or movies you like, be careful with this one though because you can't be TOO similar.

Someone applied for my rp and they just weren't right for the story. How do I explain to someone that they, or their character, doesn't fit in my rp without offending them?

I've said this before but the praise, critique, praise method always works for me. Be polite as you can and point out what you think wouldn't work or need to have changed. Give them your best shot and if they're doing their best, try to stick it out with them. If they really just will not work for your rp, you are the GM and you have a right to tell them they cannot participate. Just do it nicely and respectfully.

From the Mouth of the Members
    by G/Mindless

This week, I asked you guys to think about a recent RP that's really stood out to you - not that all of them aren't amazing, but which one took it to another level! I also asked, if you could create a brand new rpa award, what it would be for.

Adrian Faust
    MarchingThunder
    Zatory-Master
    Somehow, my brother Gin is really good at creating RPs, which in general ain't to advanced for anyone, yet really good... what lacks in those RPs though is moderating from GM (Gin) but well uhm "Umbra Oddessy" stood out I think, then "Heart of The Pure" made by Average_Hero (I think)... which I miss... both the GM and RP itself...
    But "Heart of The Pure" is one that I really wished would've continued because it felt good and sort of original.
    Of RP's I've taken part in I would have to say that Zoids Cataclysm Part II stands out the most of the ones I'm in currently and that are active and reliable. It's fun and quite sociable, and we get up to all sorts of hijinks messing with the lives of ours characters by introducing UST and all those fun things into their stories to make things as dynamic as possible.
    If I needed a second stand-in for this question though, I would go with Academy of the Scientific Arts which was started by Imp, however I can't be impartial their as myself and my fellow RPer Koti are running it in Imp's temporary absense.
    Academy of supernatural Arts by imp
    which is followed by a award suggestion... the award for a RP you really wished would've continued but didn't....

I would vote for Average_Hero's (I think he's called that) "Heart of The Pure"
    I think a fun little karma award would be what I'd introduce. Where for every amount of reputation a player is given they get a new award on a Karma path that has a comical sort of appearance to make things entertaining. I know there's the karma bar and the mouse over, but I think some trophies would be fun, and maybe introducing negative karma would be good to, cause there have been times when I've desperately desired to reduce someone's reputation for being rude and a poor sport but not wanted to report them because their actions weren't that bad.

Sort of like what they have in EVE. So if someone with a really nice karma show's up everyone knows 'oh hey this person is nice to be around' or someone with a horrible rating shows up people go 'oh-ho it's that guy'.

make make sure the titles that come with it are humorous on both sides, like Fallout humorous. And cracked.com humorous.
    The Spirit Master's award- for showing amazing and creative spirit through Rps and other sections. IE: having a big welcome post on the introduction pages or changing the style of how the person posts inside RPs like changing the color of the dialogue or creating a very diffrent character than everyone else to add flavor to the story. Showing real spirit in diffrent events.

The Skeptics Review
    by Nazgul

Once upon a time, there were two brothers. Their names were Jacob and Wilhelm and they were authors(among other things) who lived in German way back in the 1800s. Now I am sure that there is no one who is reading this that hasn't heard of these two brothers as Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm are known for collecting tales of European folklore and these tales have become some of the most cherished and most well known stories ever. Such tales as The Frog Prince, Cinderella and Snow White have captured the hearts of many people and are some of the best known children stories in the world, even if they were altered to make them more accessible to children an the original Grimm stories are usually rather dark.

Which brings us to Hansel and Gretel.

Hansel and Gretel opens with Gretel and her boyfriend who are at Gretel's house smoking some marijuana that her boyfriend got from some little old lady who lives in Pasadena. The marijuana, called Black Forest High is supposedly the greatest thing ever and...

Why are you looking at me like that? Oh, you thought I was doing that other movie. Hansel and Gretel Witch-hunters. Well I do apologize for any confusion I may have created but this is actually about Hansel and Gretel Get Baked..

Yeah I was a little surprised, and mildly amused by the title so I had to check it out. So the movie stars molly C. Quinn and Michel Welch as the titular Hansel and Gretel; who incidentally I had never heard of before this movie and after looking at what they’ve done, I'm not surprised.

So as it happens, Gretel's boyfriend goes missing having been taken by the witch, played by Lara Flynn Boyle, and they go off on a search for him. Well Gretel does and hijinks ensue... and lots of marijuana.

The movie itself is a comedy horror, which has a fair bit of gore and I found myself actually saying “ew” at one point. As for whether or not it's a good movie, no not really. It's kind of silly, and not always in a good way. Comedy is subjective and this wasn't a movie I found myself laughing out loud at. The only bit I did laugh at really was the same thing that made me laugh in the trailer.

That being said though, as a horror movie, ti does a decent job. There are tense moments, even if we already know pretty much how this movie ends, as there is a fair bit of cannon fodder as well in the form of mostly unlikable characters.

The one thing I found really distracting was the transformation the witch went through in the movie. Starting as an old crone, which looked really good, Lara Flynn Boyle's character got younger throughout the movie. Once she had de-aged about as far as it seemed she was going to go, I kept finding myself constantly wonder what was wrong with her face. I'm sorry but it really looked like she had been snorting botox. After looking at her IMDB page and a recent pic, I'm wondering now how much of it was actually make up at that point.

So did I like it? It was okay. It was interesting to see how they accommodated some of the well known things in the actual story like the trail of bread crumbs in the forest. Other things I found to be just sort of meh. The gore and effects were good over all and showed why practical effects are usually better than CGI for this genre of film. Something a lot of Hollywood doesn't seem to understand yet.

If you’re a horror fan, it's worth a watch. If you're looking for a great horror movie, this ain't it. And if you're looking for a comedy horror movie about marijuana(though I can't think of how often that would pop into anyone's head) I would recommend Evil Bong. Yes, I'm not making that up. There is a movie called Evil Bong.

Teh Laughinz $t0cl<
    Yeah, I know. It looks stupid.
    BY: IMP

Welcome to another chaotic edition of the Laughing Stock where you just skim through it and... alright, anyway.

AS
    s WE ALL KNOW IT, DOWNTOWN IS THE PLACE FOR MERRIMENT AND STUPIDITY. Honestly, the two go together quite well when you are talking about someone who has the mindset of a dog... or a dog itself.
    IT is also a curse among some members of RPA who dare not enter some of its more daunting sections such as Madness.

Where am I getting at with this? Well, like World Peace-talks; NO WHERE!!!

THREADS OF INTEREST

Rho did it before and he did it again!
    What is it?
    FREE REP! Yes, a thread where GET THIS you post to get FREE REP
    No, don't report this post, you moron! Here's the link

Our Squirrel-loving member has decided to quit.
    Would you like to know more?

[Click here to see a woman and elephant go at it!]
    Money shot? More like breaking the bank!

------------------

The Revival Pit
    What? You like them dead? That's called necrophilia, you sicko!

Remember this old thread? NO?! Neither did I until I came across it.

OH! Look what Alice posted so f***ing long ago!

Nobody knows a damn about Canada so why not ask?
    What is the capital of Canada?
    SEE?! YOU DON'T KNOW cause you're stupid like your brother who did too much acid
    (I took note that this thread was recently posted in but TOO LATE! Still keeping this here)

------------------------

UNOFFICIAL CONTESTS!

WIPEOUT
    So, Wipeout is still in progress but some of the obstacles are being shoddy. One malfunctioned and killed several noobs. Expect it in the next edition.

INANIMATE STAFF

Simple, really. HERE is a list of the staff of RPA.
    What I'd like the readers(anyone including staff) to do is PM me(Imp) an image of an inanimate object that best represents a staff member. You can pick one staff member or several! Tis up to you.

Deadline? Just get it into me when you can! It isn't hard at all and I'll post the results in the next Tribune edition. I will likely keep the Senders anonymous UNLESS you want your name included as credit.

-----------------

A Book By Its Cover
    Like in Obitchuary from the last edition, this one slims it down to where I don't read the details but judge the situation by the thread title to solve the poster's issue(s).
    NOTE: What I post does not represent my views on anything. It is only for comical use and nothing more.

Should a woman's feelings come first?
    No. First comes the sandwich and then she returns to the kitchen in silence to work on dinner. What happens after that depends on how much alcohol the typical lower-middle class husband drinks.

That awkward moment when your best friend stabs you in the back and it's your fault.

You obviously didn't have high enough stats. WEAR SOME +10 ARMOR AND PUT MOST YOUR POINTS IN AGILITY! It works for me!

Themes for the Imp Show?!?!
    We're not here to support your terrible show. Take it to some indie site and GTFO!!!

---------------------------------

Comic Tonic
    If only it could cure AIDS

Well I don't have a 'comic' but I do have something 'comical'.

Here is some sick shit yo!
    -----------------------
    ----------------
    -----------
    -------
    ----
    --
    Fin.
    Last edited by G; 02-12-2013 at 09:16 AM.

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)

Once again, sorry for the wait - those darn squirrels!

Arch-angel of Epica
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)

Looks awesome

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)

By the way, guys - we're always eager to see what you'd like to contribute to the paper!

Got a question for Amber? An article you'd like to write? Want your roleplays advertised, or seen a story that deserves spotlighting?

Just take a look at the rules for submissions and get involved!!!

Admin of Awesome
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Horror, Fantasy, Love
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)

yes! Love the new edition!
    Spoiler: Looking for a Roleplay? Just click it! 

Help us Help you! Vote for RPA -Daily!

Trad Fantasy, Sci-Fi Horror, 1x1 romance, anything thoughtful in structure
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OMG. ;____;

I'm so touched by this.

Poppa Squirrel
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mindless Invalid View Post
    Once again, sorry for the wait - those darn squirrels!

Be careful who you accuse cause we didn't steal any papers ... wait, don't pay ANY attention to what I have in my hands till I can stash the evidence. Whew, that was close

(Totally awsome job on the paper)
    Last edited by Storm; 02-13-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Signature created by the awesome .Karma.

Spoiler: Looking for a Story to Join? 

The Big Meme
    Bedford, Bedfordshire (Uni) / Wickford, Essex
    Fantasy; Science Fiction; Superheroes; Coming-of-Age; Supernatural Drama.
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

My sides! x'D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast