45 Post(s)

How about Ella?

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

How about her indeed!

ASTROPATH ELLA SEREN

"Does anyone remember when I used to do mainly psy-mail?"

Featured in: It's Just A Short Run, Gibbous, A Wash Of Black, Kaleidoscope, Penitence

I've noticed a theme running through a lot of my characters (besides the fact that most of them seem to hang out in the universe of Warhammer 40K), and it's that they end up way over their heads. Ella certainly fits that bill - astropaths are universally blind and almost never trained in combat, and on her way to her first posting her ship gets attacked as part of a pirate conspiracy, swiftly followed by her being conscripted by the inquisition.

Like my other character Marc it is a sense of duty that drives her through these trials, although it's more selfless and less the brooding obsession that Marc exhibits (and this dynamic is part of the fun of pairing them up as psyker and handler/bodyguard in several of the above RPs). This might lead some readers to peg her as a bit of a martyr, but I have enjoyed writing about this young astropath's steadily-growing confidence over the course of her RPs, from sending a vital distress signal, to handling a gun for the first time, to another character (a GMPC) having enough faith to see her as a potential battle-psyker some time in the future. I'm very excited to see where fate takes her next, which will be explored in my upcoming RP Penitence.

Trivia: Her middle name is Zoe, because SandQueen once described her as "Zooey Deschanel with mind powers". Also, she probably has a German accent, since she was born on Sancta Heroica.

Spoiler: Ella's profile 
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 10-17-2017 at 03:54 PM.
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

The Big Meme
    Bedford, Bedfordshire (Uni) / Wickford, Essex
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy; Science Fiction; Superheroes; Coming-of-Age; Supernatural Drama.
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Salvius? :3

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Aye-firmitive.

CENTURION VARRO SALVIUS

Marcius: "He's a friend of Mors, a brother of Fortuna, and a son of a bitch. He'll get the job done."

Featured in: Eternum: Of Gods and Demons, Eternum: Blood of the Gods, Eternum: Rise of Kronos

If Marcius is my heroic villain, then Salvius is my soldier's soldier, dedicated to following his orders no matter what. This could easily have made him into a pretty vicious bad guy - which was intentional because at the time his faction was being set up as the antagonists, rather than the protagonists as ended up through a quirk of player numbers (and, I must add, our GM rolled with this unexpected reversal awesomely). Happily for us - perhaps less so for Salvius - his orders were a Lord of the Rings-style quest to hell itself in order to retrieve some ancient artefacts and save the planet, which despite the absurdly high risk of death puts him in the good-guy camp.

Of course, being "good" doesn't mean he isn't slightly dickish (he is a gruff Roman Namorian centurion after all) and this ended up being a lot of fun to write; bringing a different dynamic to the usually tight-knit group that forms the heart of most "quest" stories. In fact, he has a completely different rapport with each of the major characters: a pre-formed bond of trust with an old friend, ingrained deference to a foreign royal, grudging protectivism towards a young tagalong (which is slowly warming as she proves herself) and abrasive tolerance of a fallen angel (who is an even bigger jerk than he is). This variety, as well as a few personal threads such as whether he wants to return to the army or retire when he duty is complete, are more than enough incentive to keep me writing this character through Eternum and maybe a sequel as well.

Trivia: He is partially inspired by the character of the same name from Spartacus: Vengeance, who despite being a fairly minor character stuck out to me. Even though he was a sneering elitist who seemed to get his face punched in a lot, he demonstrated unswerving loyalty to his commander and also gets credit for being the only Roman soldier that the writers allowed to kill off a major character.

Spoiler: Varro's profile 
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 03-23-2015 at 05:17 PM.

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's cool getting to look inside your characters. Ella is a personal favourite of mine, despite not being around for too long, relatively speaking. I'm considering doing one of these for my own people, but it's going to have to wait as there's still a ton of interesting secrets to go for most of my characters, most notably Arcolin and Alley, and the former's mind is a scary place that I'm leaving unexplored for now. Maybe Marc will pry in, sometime...

I could cover Lia, though.
    Last edited by kardar233; 03-06-2013 at 07:03 AM.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

The question is how to unveil those secrets when Kaleidoscope has been permanently shelved...

Hmm, who have I not done yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It could be in that game between Wash of Black and Kaleidoscope that you proposed. It would require some retconning of the opening bits of Kaleidoscope, but it could work.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azazeal849 View Post
    Although we haven't seen him in a while, a along while at that, there is Commissar Joseph Schenke.

June MotM 2014
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azazeal849 View Post
    NPC characters from your games?

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaintSerf View Post
    Although we haven't seen him in a while, a along while at that, there is Commissar Joseph Schenke.
    You're quite right. He deserves a mention.

COMMISSAR JOSEPH SCHENKE

"Dying for the Emperor is expected, but I'm still going to need your help after this scrap, so I'd consider it a discourtesy if any of you got yourselves killed."

Featured in: It's Just A Short Run

When I was informed that Ella (see the top of this page) would need a second character to act as her handler in her first RP, I decided to create a young Imperial Commissar. Feeling it was slightly cheeky to be running two characters at once, I initially planned to have him killed off early. But instead of a suitable executioner he ran into a PC mutant called Janie, and from there they began to rally support and make a big impact on the story. Since then the uncompromising but fair-minded young officer with his offbeat sense of humour has stuck with me as one of my favourite characters.

Getting the balance right between "inspiring leader" and "ruthless punisher of failure" (which is what I perceive 40K commissars to be, although many portrayals lean more to one side or the other) was both the hardest and the most fun aspect of the character; closely followed by his growing bond with Janie the mutant who, despite the stigma attached to her genetic heritage, showed more faith and guts than half the other characters combined. I can definitely see any future RP with Schenke featuring him and his mutant sidekick going around the galaxy as an almost Cain and Jurgen-type duo, and the illustrious PaintSerf has hinted that such a RP might just be in the works. If that doesn't materialise by the end of Penitence, then there's always the sequel...

Trivia: I took a lot of inspiration from Commissar Holt (from the obscure 40K computer game Final Liberation) when creating Schenke.

Spoiler: Joseph's profile 
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 02-01-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast