Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Azazeal's archive

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Thanks, lady S.

I couldn't really give you a definitive answer, I'm afraid. Some of my characters use people I know or have read about as guidelines, some of them I've fleshed out by assigning them a Myers-Briggs personality type and then looking into the other traits that usually go with it, and some I've just tried to stay true to a few "core" traits to make it easier to decide how they (rather than I!) would react to a given situation. Stupid little quirks that don't (usually) add to the story but serve to humanise the character can help too, like a relatable hobby or a recognisable physical tic - usually drawn from somebody I know in real life.

Occasionally, my fellow RPers help me figure it out - for example, PaintSerf seems to know Alia Machairi better than I do.
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 04-07-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

ENGINEER VESPA TEHRANI

"Does a history book instil the same conviction as feeling what our predecessors went through? Humanity's been at war with itself for a long time since it started recording history."

Featured in: Wreckage (retconned), Wreckage (reboot)

As I have mentioned in a couple of other entries, I'm a fan of the Sins of a Solar Empire franchise, and one of its three races in particular: the Advent. For the uninitiated, the Advent were a pacifist human sect that developed psychic powers through genetic/cybernetic enhancement, the primary use of which was to link all their acolytes together into a single consciousness called "the Unity". The galactic government of the day didn't like this (for unspecified ideological reasons) and banished them. Unfortunately a hive mind has a long memory, and 1000 years later, the exiles returned on a murderous crusade against their former oppressors (though some have since begun to repent). Interestingly, they are not a "hive mind" in the classic sense since their collective is distinctly subdivided into various factions, and even individual members seem to retain enough individuality to talk about themselves in the first person.

I've had an idea for an Advent character bouncing around my head for a while, and I'll freely admit that my initial pitch for Dakkagor's Wreckage was essentially this with the serial numbers filed off. It was more the Advent's intriguing society I wanted to explore rather than their vengeful crusade, and so I set myself to picturing what they might have been like in their pre-exile days. Another major influence on creating Vespa's character came from this essay, which discusses how a hive mind might operate in practice (and, interestingly, that it need not necessarily lead to destructive group-think).

Eventually, Vespa morphed into an exploration of a potential post-human society and how it would affect people, with a potential dose of commentary on today's information- and internet-culture thrown in. The main thrust of this exploration was the idea that people could connect with each other at all times, but by the same token also have essentially unlimited access to what other people were doing. This violates all sorts of human instincts towards privacy (and this is indeed one of the first discussions that is had with an uninitiated character in the original RP), but the interesting thought remains that it would be essentially impossible to commit any sort of crime under such a system. Even abuse of the open access might be somewhat mitigated - it is, after all, a lot harder to snoop on someone getting dressed if their partner or parents are also watching you.

I'll put my hands up right now and say that such a society would almost certainly never work in real life. The "total freedom of information" part would likely get quietly dropped some time after the "total surveillance" came into effect, much as real-life attempts at communism have always got lost somewhere between "total government control" and "fair distribution of the now government-controlled resources". I also wouldn't put it past some clever hackers to be able to mask their presence in the collective, thus defeating the "community watch" effect. Still, it's interesting to imagine how someone with no concept of privacy, who is used to simply sensing someone's emotions rather than asking about them, and has a very weird concept of death, would interact with "normal" people.

Vespa's character arc was still very much in its infancy at the time the original Wreckage folded, and so now that Dakkagor is rebooting it I have taken the opportunity to modify her a little. This was partially to make her a better fit for the revised universe, but also because I noticed that previously I had been focusing on the Harmony as a society more than Vespa as a person. Part of a hive mind she might be, but I thought that she would benefit from a less vague personality and backstory. The change in her appearance was incidental, since I was browsing around for more "realistic" shipwear, but I don't mind because this thread could probably do with more actors of colour anyway.

Trivia: Vespa's first name comes, of course, from the Sins ship class of the same name (Advent Rebels for the win!), although her surname is that of one of my work colleagues.

Spoiler: Vespa's original profile 

Spoiler: Vespa's revised profile 
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 02-01-2018 at 06:09 PM.

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

The Last Remembrancer
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Modern times or Sci-Fi games.
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

One day I will reboot Wreckage. A black day, when the courage of man breaks and wolves howl at the gates.

But that day IS NOT TODAY.

Might be later this year though.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

THE INQUISITION

A trio of short profiles today, since none of them are traditional PCs, but two of them have received almost enough screen time to qualify as such.

Spoiler: INTERROGATOR JAVID SCHAFER 

Spoiler: INQUISITOR ALIA MACHAIRI 

Spoiler: INQUISITOR FEYD LUCULLIS 
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 02-01-2018 at 06:11 PM.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

RHISIART CORBYN

"If only my little sister had had the courtesy to die."

Featured in: War of Succession, A Bridge of Tears (pending)

Believe it or not, this guy started out as an Ork. It began when Hoef had asked my advice on some rules he was drawing up for a new 40K RP which featured the Orks. During the process I briefly considered joining, even though I had never particularly felt the inclination to write an Ork character before. I had never really seen much scope in their "War! War! War!" mindset, nor in their occasional niche as comic relief, but it suddenly occurred to me how downright frightening it would be to write about someone who literally didn't understand how the human mind worked, and didn't see how anyone couldn't thoroughly enjoy warfare. I had an image of the Ork boss conducting an experiment on captured humans, where he observes a couple's reaction to him ripping their child out of their arms, and although he simply doesn't understand why they would attach any importance to something smaller than them (Orks only show deference to those bigger than themselves), he draws the conclusion that he can lure human troops out of their positions by attacking civilian towns.

I eventually decided against pursuing the idea (mainly because I found the final ruleset for the RP a little too complicated), but then while I was still musing about sociopathy I came across Emperor Tiberiu's sparsely-detailed but potentially interesting low fantasy story Wars of Succession, that my fellow writer DoK was already signed up to. I messaged Tiber and he very kindly opened up an extra space for me. Thus I took the basic idea of a frighteningly amoral creature and toned it down into something a bit more relatable - an aggressive young man with severe entitlement issues. Enter Rhisiart.

I made Rhisiart's mercenaries an archer company, because I wanted to write about the medieval longbowmen made famous by battles such as Halidon Hill, Crecy and Agincourt, although I am aware that they weren't quite the godlike armour-piercing weapons that they are sometimes portrayed as. I am also aware that it was actually the Welsh, not the English, who first invented and mastered the war bow, and I have attempted to pay homage to this in the Welsh names and syntax of the characters (Rhisiart - pronounced RHISH-art - is of course the Welsh form of Richard). I had fun coming up with some larger-than-life secondary characters to act as foils to Rhisiart's constant sneering and brooding, and I also thought it was important to contrast how he sees himself when he's the POV character with how he actually appears to an objective observer.

As the title of the RP suggests, there were several potential factions for Rhisiart to fight for. I aligned him with lord Madlynvr (for the sake of reader sanity, it's pronounced MALLY-nor), who was the son of an impoverished noble looking to elevate himself and other members of the local middle class. This sounded to me like a goal that would appeal to an ambitious mercenary with an inferiority complex - though being the massive cynic that he is, Rhisiart doesn't believe Madlynvr's populist words for a moment and assumes that he's really just manipulating people for his own gain. I have been told by the GM whether his assessment of his lord is accurate or not, but I won't spoiler it here.

Not long after beginning Rhisiart's arc, I felt that I needed to tell the other side of his story as well, and so I started fleshing out his luckless half-sister Lowri (which, after the Welsh fashion, is pronounced LOH-ree). I have attached her profile below Rhisiart's.

Trivia: Yes, that is Anguy the Archer from Game of Thrones. Or at least it was before I aged him down for A Bridge of Tears.

Spoiler: Rhisiart's full profile 

Spoiler: Lowri's full profile 
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 08-20-2018 at 09:03 PM.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

CHARACTER REVIEW

With a couple of complete or nearly complete RPs added to my repertoire since I posted some of the characters in this thread, I thought that now might be a good time to take stock of how they've progressed and a few lessons learned. As always, anyone who is passing by feel free to leave your own thoughts, especially if you were involved in one of these RPs. It's always useful to get an outside view of a character, since what's going on in your head (and especially my head...) might not be quite what other people are seeing on the page!

Decius Marcius (Eternum series): Decius has come a long way since his inception, largely due to the incredibly broad yet decently guided storyline of DoK's Eternum trilogy. Decius was very much a protagonist (if not the protagonist) of the first RP, partly due to him being in all the right places at the right times and partly due to my own rather aggressive posting schedule. I deliberately scaled this back a little in the second RP, partially to avoid dominating the story by myself, but also to allow some of my minor characters to come to the fore. The different characters offered different writing challenges while also allowing me to get involved in all the branches of the story that Decius wasn't a part of. Despite the reduction in focus on him, I still feel that Decius received a clear and satisfying arc in the second RP of dealing with the death of his family.

The third RP again sees Decius taking a back seat (albeit as de facto ruler of the imperium!) for now, though I expect he will be rising to prominence again come the finale. I am generally happy with the way his story has developed, although I would like to hear other opinions (hint hint, dear reader).

Raechel Kuscelian (The Silent Forge): I've been feeling for a while that Raechel's story hasn't gone as well as it might have done, and it's taken me some thought to pin down why this is. My initial idea for her character arc was for her to eventually deal with her paranoia but maintain a healthy suspicion of her fellow magi, thereby becoming a good candidate for the Lords Dragon (her organisation's secret service equivalent). I probably should have thought this through a little better, since for most of the story (and what is revealed of her past) she does not really have a good reason to be suspicious of everybody. Attempting to rectify this by summarising the previous story in a single late flashback might have come across as a bit melodramatic and unsatisfying.

I have come to the conclusion that weaving a slow reveal into a story is only easy if you are controlling the events that trigger it (i.e. you are the GM) as it is otherwise quite difficult to make it feel organic and not like a random aside to the real plot. It can also be difficult to have your arc make sense within the wider story - in Raechel's case she had fellow tech-priest Nikolai, who she should have trusted and didn't, and who teaches her to do so, but then she also had an inquisitor (a rank she originally had a high opinion of) turn out to be spying on her. It's difficult to draw a conclusion to her desired arc based on those events, and I will probably be making significant changes in editing to make Raechel's subplot run more coherently - and make her own reactions make more sense. As it stands, the character seems incompetent and irrational enough to have a legitimate sexist writing charge laid against her (or rather, me).

On the plus side, one thing that worked reasonably well was Raechel's progression towards rogue magus hunter, as both the main villain of the story and the subplot of an unknown enemy who has framed her for heresy (the whole reason the inquisitor was after her in the first place) somewhat facilitate this. I am hoping that Nikolai (already a Lords Dragon agent) will join her in going after the unknown enemy at the end of the story, since he will likely be her eventual recruiter. If I can fix Raechel's currently rather irrational-seeming "paranoia" arc in editing and make her seem reasonably competent in the final fight, then it might be believable for her to reappear as a full-fledged Dragon agent by her next RP.

Whether she can be salvaged in editing or not, Raechel has been a learning experience that I can hopefully apply to other characters with emotion-based arcs and slow-reveal stories. The main test of if I've learned anything will be Kimmie Raeden in the eventual Shades of Grey, and I invite you to critique me on it!

Gina Wright (The Reborn): If Decius has gone well and Raechel not so well, Gina is one I'm still on the fence about. One advantage I have in writing Gina over Raechel is that I don't have a predetermined arc for her that I want to shoehorn into the story; it's much more a case of having her react to her immediate surroundings and see how events affect her over time. There are, however, a few things that make Gina's inclusion in this RP challenging.

Firstly, she's somewhat underpowered compared to her fellow characters, being a baseline human with ghost-hunting experience which may not apply to her new setting(s), while her companions are a magic user and a gun-toting werewolf respectively. I don't mind this overmuch, as it makes me think outside the box a bit (and I trust the GM not to set Gina challenges that she can't actually overcome). Also, Gina retains a natural niche as the leader / planner of the group, although that in turn leads into a second issue; from a meta perspective, it is not ideal to have one player / character dictating the group's actions. This is something that is going to require some thought.

Another meta influence that I have been becoming increasingly aware of is Gina's core drive of keeping her friends alive clashing with players dropping out of roleplays (usually, resulting in their characters being killed). While these deaths are never presented as Gina's fault, I imagine that it's extremely hard for her to feel like she's constantly failing at her job. Even if she is as determined as all get out, I get the feeling that she'll need a win pretty soon. Minkasha has pointed out that she is essentially inflicting this pain on herself by always assuming responsibility, but I find it difficult to imagine Gina (who is an ENFJ personality type) reacting in any other way.

Like I said, it's too early to tell whether Gina's outing in Reborn is going to be a success or not.
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 11-06-2015 at 06:52 PM.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

CHARACTER REVIEW II

I'm always keen to improve as a writer, especially in my handling of characters. I often wonder about how my characters look from an outside perspective, and I also like to "test" them using various metrics lying about the Internet. Which led to this.

I came across the "Strong Female Character" test and thought it would be an interesting exercise to apply to my own creations - after all, not being a woman myself, I should probably be more mindful of how I write female characters than male ones. I found this particular test on Jo Writes Stuff, though I'm not sure of the original source of it. The test involves answering 10 questions, which are as follows:

1. Does the character shape her own destiny? Does she actively try to change her situation and if not, why not?

2. Does she have her own goals, beliefs and hobbies? Did she come up with them on her own?

3. Is her character consistent? Do her personality or skills change as the plot demands?

4. Can you describe her in one short sentence without mentioning her love life, her physical appearance, or the words ‘strong female character’?

5. Does she make decisions that aren’t influenced by her love life?

6. Does she develop over the course of the story?

7. Does she have a weakness?

8. Does she influence the plot without getting captured or killed?

9. How does she relate to stereotypes about gender?

10. How does she relate to other female characters?

The blog I found the test on considers 8 or more out of 10 to be a "pass", which seems like a rather high bar for me but I'll see how it goes. In any case, it should be useful to highlight which characters need more focus.

I have applied the test to most of my female characters who get at least one full RP of screen time. Characters which I considered but decided didn't have enough screen time to make the test fair included Vespa Tehrani (Wreckage), Natalia Veiss (Prophet), Eppie von Scharn (Hearts of Darkness), Kira Loque (Hearts of Darkness) and Kimmie Raeden (Shades of Grey)

First up, the ladies from Business Is War, which I still consider to be my best GM job so far. But how do the characters measure up?

Spoiler: Britta Engel 

Spoiler: Lisa Asari 

Moving on now to the girls of the 40K universe; let's see how they do.

Spoiler: Kelly Black 

Spoiler: Ella Seren 

Spoiler: Alia Machairi 

Spoiler: Raechel Kuscelian 

Next the women of DoK's excellent Eternum series. Being a more fantastical (though also slightly more progressive) spin on the Roman Empire, with most of them taking the role of ancient nobles, I'm interested to see if I've broken away enough from stereotypes.

Spoiler: Lycinia Marci 

Spoiler: Seppia Octavi 

Spoiler: Julia Agrippi 

Spoiler: Suriyana 

And finally Gina, our resident (unwilling) magnet for strange and deadly adventures.

Spoiler: Gina Wright 

So, with only three characters scoring the required 8, there's clearly room for improvement. My main takeaways from this test are that I need to give my girls some more hobbies, ensure they continue to develop across RPs, and have them talk more to each other! Any thoughts on my analysis? If you'd like me to run a similar experiment on one of your own characters, just say the word!
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 01-27-2016 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Forgot a couple

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Honestly, I would say that you’re being harsh on yourself with the 40k ladies. Firstly, consider that most of them who’ve featured as your characters (rather than as GMPCs – who, as you’ve said are naturally limited to ) have been unlucky enough to be in games that shuttered early rather than playing out to what would’ve been a natural conclusion. Survey says:

Ella: It's Just A Short Run, Gibbous, A Wash Of Black, Kaleidoscope, Penitence

Ella’s only had two competed games, and all things being equal, Gibbous was a fun-size sampler compared to A Wash of Black. Short Run and Kaleidoscope died prematurely, and we’re still in progress with Penitence – where we simply haven’t yet been able to have Ella speak most of the other ladies aboard, simply because we’ve all been swamped with other scenes and real-word distractions.

Raechel: To Cleanse The Stars, Sins of Ambition (retconned), The Silent Forge (part 1), The Silent Forge (part 2), Penitence

Zero competed games for Raechel, including the retcon from (again, failed) Sins of Ambition where surprisingly enough all of the deployed tech-priests were female – although not that there was much time for idle conversation, being priestesses of Mars and almost immediately deployed into the hulk. Also, we haven’t even seen Raechel in Penitence yet.

Kelly: Lucius Pembroke Is A Dead Man, The Replicants, The Prophet In Silver, Drowning for the Cure, A Wash of Black, Kaleidoscope, Penitence

Outside of Kaleidoscope, all of Kelly’s games have completed…although she was never the player character herself, and either makes brief cameo appearances – Pembroke, Drowning, Wash, and for what it’s worth, Kaleidoscope – purely due to GM limitations on the number of characters allowed as full PCs. Kelly’s only full credits are as a GMPC in Replicants, Prophet, and the presently running Penitence.

I would also point out that those completed games where Ella and Kelly featured were SandQueen GM’d. I’ll always be thankful that she started this whole series, and that you’ve continued it in motion.

Now that being said, SQ’s games were essentially action movies in terms of content and pace, both the characters and the writers producing the material – and often at an uncomfortably breakneck pace. Objectively, it’s hard indulge in a showcase hobby, and have some character development girl talk when there’s almost no downtime because shit’s exploding and you and your characters are constantly reacting to that. Another issue with those earlier games was that the GMPCs and their dramatic issues (Hi, Walt/Julia/Eileen) were quite often monopolizing a lot of the non-combat screen time.

Secondly, this test already has a significantly high pass criterion…and mechanically there is a not insignificant amount of conflict with these questions and 40k as an IP. For instance the first question asks Does the character shape her own destiny? Does she actively try to change her situation and if not, why not? That’s a slight bit unfair to Ella, Raechel, and Kelly as the mindboggling overwhelming majority of all human beings have little personal agency over their situation. Alia’s a supremely rare example of that sort of person, and it just so happens that she’s a female with the ability, ambition, and opportunity to have such a privileged (in a sword of Damocles sort of way) role in the Imperium of Man.

There’s also the fact we haven’t had the opportunity – again, due to what’s already on our collective plates as writers and real world obligations, to fully exploit our untapped opportunities for character development. I’m still absolutely in for Girl’s Night Out with Kally, Kelly, and Sapphira (perhaps joined by McKenzie?) after Prophet. I would also be intrigued to see what could be explored in the interlude aboard the Mooncalf as it travels to Terra after Wash.

Lastly, let’s not forget what’s already on deck for the ladies in Penitence, Shades of Grey, and Adrantis War – and that’s just what’s been planned to occur, never mind what’ll spawn from a live game!

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaintSerf View Post
    Ella’s only had two competed games, and all things being equal, Gibbous was a fun-size sampler compared to A Wash of Black. Short Run and Kaleidoscope died prematurely, and we’re still in progress with Penitence – where we simply haven’t yet been able to have Ella speak most of the other ladies aboard, simply because we’ve all been swamped with other scenes and real-word distractions.
    True - I'm currently in the annoying position of my only potential writing time being the train to and from work (you may have noticed that Shades has slipped behind schedule along with a general slowdown in everything else).

Zero competed games for Raechel, including the retcon from (again, failed) Sins of Ambition where surprisingly enough all of the deployed tech-priests were female – although not that there was much time for idle conversation, being priestesses of Mars and almost immediately deployed into the hulk. Also, we haven’t even seen Raechel in Penitence yet.
    The Kuscelian Curse for jinxing RPs is still in effect, it would seem. Hopefully she won't do the same to Penitence!

More awkward I think is the need for "offscreen character development" that dead RPs cause. I usually go into a RP with an idea of my character's arc, and if I don't want to retcon out the whole thing and repeat the arc next time (which I usually don't) then I have to adjust the character as if it did happen.

Raechel, Ella and Gina have all been victims of this, and unfortunately flashbacks to try and fill the gaps can come off as clunky if they don't relate enough to the alpha plot (case in point: Raechel in Silent Forge).

Another issue with those earlier games was that the GMPCs and their dramatic issues (Hi, Walt/Julia/Eileen) were quite often monopolizing a lot of the non-combat screen time.
    That is something I had noticed and I've actively been trying to avoid - when it's essentially impossible to get every character to talk (deeply) with every other one in the limited "quiet" scenes, I'd rather see the players get the chance to write something rather than just read my GM text.

Although there's also the fact that certain characters just naturally pair off / play off with each other (in Ella's case, it happened to be Marc until Dosi arrived).

There’s also the fact we haven’t had the opportunity – again, due to what’s already on our collective plates as writers and real world obligations, to fully exploit our untapped opportunities for character development. I’m still absolutely in for Girl’s Night Out with Kally, Kelly, and Sapphira (perhaps joined by McKenzie?) after Prophet.
    I get the impression that McKenzie would have hung around with the other "higher ups" in Sidonis' retinue, though she might well take the opportunity to dress Sapphira up again.

If we're going to crack on with that short story, we should probably hammer out a few worthwhile things for them to talk about, and possibly a background plot / event. I've thought about it a couple of times but I keep drawing blanks.

I would also be intrigued to see what could be explored in the interlude aboard the Mooncalf as it travels to Terra after Wash.
    My approach so far has been to add those scenes to the beginning of Kaleidoscope - I've so far added an introduction for Zerlinda, Ella's birthday party and a confrontation between Marc/Alley and Arcolin.

Now that being said, SQ’s games were essentially action movies in terms of content and pace, both the characters and the writers producing the material – and often at an uncomfortably breakneck pace. Objectively, it’s hard indulge in a showcase hobby, and have some character development girl talk when there’s almost no downtime because shit’s exploding and you and your characters are constantly reacting to that.
    It's no easy thing to strike a balance between a fast-moving plot and just the right amount of down-time to let the characters develop, I can tell you that! I have definitely been helped by the sheer willingness of you guys to craft character-driven subplots.
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 01-28-2016 at 08:21 PM.

The Last Remembrancer
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Modern times or Sci-Fi games.
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

What can I say? Love me some drama

I think Paints pretty much on the money regarding his analysis of your analysis (analyception, if you will), in that when you are running NPC's the chances to develop them are actually pretty limited to what your players are interested in. I keep meaning to get started on a scene between Kelly and Kally after certain 'revelations' have been made, and I think that would give Kelly an excellent chance to shine as a more complex character.

I need to go back and look at Girls Night Out. It was probably going to end up feeling very much like the start of the Citadel DLC. . .

And I would be honoured if you put Kally through the test!
    Last edited by dakkagor; 03-02-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast