Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Azazeal's archive

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dakkagor View Post
    I need to go back and look at Girls Night Out. It was probably going to end up feeling very much like the start of the Citadel DLC. . .
    PM me if you have any brainwaves. Like I said, I've thought about it once or twice but drew a blank as to what conversations and background plot would be covered.

And I would be honoured if you put Kally through the test!
    Aye-firmitive!

Spoiler: Kally Sonder 
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 03-02-2016 at 07:09 PM.
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

The Last Remembrancer
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Modern times or Sci-Fi games.
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

9/10!!! I would have been tempted to knock her down a half point on hobbies and another half on consistency, myself, but I won;t argue with a pass mark!

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Working out is a hobby, and I've just realised I forgot to add "drinking with Vince and Marc" and "going out on the pull with Sapphira and Kelly". Storywise, they tell us that she enjoys simple, earthly pleasures, and her fitness habits tell us that she hates feeling weak or vulnerable.

What would you have marked down for inconsistency?

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

The Last Remembrancer
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Hmm, I suppose its a personal thing. I'm just constantly paranoid that none of my characters are actually very 'consistent', because I find such things very hard to judge, and I want all my characters to have a distinctive voice, and I'm never sure I actually manage that. And because Kallys character is very much 'high and low' (to nearly manic-depressive levels) I am always concerned that I'm not nailing the right moments for a high or low.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Hmm, I suppose its a personal thing. I'm just constantly paranoid that none of my characters are actually very 'consistent', because I find such things very hard to judge,
    Yeah, it can be very difficult to examine how characters look outside your own head, which is part of the reason I look for feedback on this thread.

and I want all my characters to have a distinctive voice, and I'm never sure I actually manage that.
    That's something that most writer's struggle with, I think (even look at ASoIaF - great series though it is, almost all of the POV characters use very similar word and thought patterns). I've tried it a couple of times myself, though with the exception of Marc and Kelly's on-again off-again Edinburgh brogue (and maybe the Welsh characters from Succession) it's probably too subtle too make much difference - some characters speak slightly more or less formally; Raechel is like Crenshaw in that she never uses contractions etc.

Speaking of Crenshaw, PaintSerf seems to be particularly good at distinctive character voices (Gavin, Merle and Gerry all spring to mind) so it might be worth asking him for ideas.

And because Kallys character is very much 'high and low' (to nearly manic-depressive levels) I am always concerned that I'm not nailing the right moments for a high or low.
    I wouldn't say that Kally is manic-depressive; more like "normal and low", where the low / anger can be an abrupt switch and is often provoked by a trigger. That sounds a bit like depression to me, based on what I've witnessed first hand. Depressed people can often be happy for periods when their particular thought-cascades aren't bothering them (in addition to simply faking happiness when they're feeling shit).

Though if Kally was depressed, you might also expect to see periods where she just feels flat and apathetic (for want of a better word, feeling "meh"), so perhaps her symptoms align somewhat better with PTSD. When her PTSD is being treated / in remission, we see her acting considerably more like her "normal" self than in Replicants and Penitence.
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 03-10-2016 at 01:01 PM.

The Last Remembrancer
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Paint does seem to be able to nail distinctive voices very, very well. Total inspiration in that department. I also think you sell yourself short a bit: Kelly and Marc especially work really well as a brother-sister team, and you totally get Vince everytime you NPC him. Both the interrogators have fallen out in very different ways, even with limited screen time between them.

As for Kally's high and lows, PTSD definitely fits better for symptoms presented and her past (both in and out of game), so I should go away and do some research on that to better represent it.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Both the interrogators have fallen out in very different ways, even with limited screen time between them.
    Yeah, I still occasionally think it was a massive wasted opportunity not to throw interrogator Jango Fett and interrogator Alia Atreides into a single scene together. Perhaps one day, though I don't currently have plans for any more prequels, and I think to resurrect replicant Schafer a second time would be kind of cheap (even if it would be amusing to go the full Captain Scarlet and have Schafer's replicant rejoin the good guys).

As for Kally's high and lows, PTSD definitely fits better for symptoms presented and her past (both in and out of game), so I should go away and do some research on that to better represent it.
    Good plan. I used both read-ups and people I know to inform Kelly's symptoms, but I still feel like I'm on thin ice as someone who hasn't experienced it personally, and might be triggering / insulting a reader who has.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

THE SKAARJ

And here's a case of me becoming a victim of my own ambition. Just when I was gearing up to set myself the challenge of a second GM job, along comes a RP called Galactic Empires with several of my favourite things: Dakkagor's writing, design-your-own machines and space combat. Despite knowing I probably wouldn't have the time to join, I couldn't resist throwing a few notes together. I already had a semi-solid concept in my mind to reimagine the Skaarj from Unreal (one of my favourite old PC games, as you can perhaps tell from the "849" in my username), as my friend Death of Korzan had recently pitched a similar RP idea.

While the Skaarj in DoK's RP would have been new players on the galactic stage, hungry to carve out their infamous empire, the setting of Galactic Empires gave me a rather different idea. Given that any "new" races would have to be subordinate to the five big players, I thought it might be interesting to play a reformed Skaarj empire that had had their imperial tendencies unceremoniously slapped out of them by a larger but more benevolent enemy. While I did like the potential of exploring the ruthless but honourable tendencies of the Skaarj in this new context, along with remaining undercurrents of racism with their former slaves (probably with modern-day subtext), I couldn't nail down solid ideas for individual characters - and without engaging characters, the idea would be dead in the water, which was the final reason that convinced me to sit this RP out.

Hence in the profiles below, there are a couple of character names but little else, even if the actual history and technology seem to have fallen into place rather easily. I'm posting this just for interest, and to possibly resurrect and reform it in some other relevant RP down the line. Enjoy!

Trivia: You may notice that one of the character's surnames is "Jaar". I am of course planning to reference a certain other character as her brood ancestor.

Spoiler: THE SKAARJ (pronounced "scar") 

Spoiler: Skaarj Heavy Cruiser 

Spoiler: Skaarj missile frigate 
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 04-09-2016 at 07:04 PM.

June MotM 2014
    Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

I was also thinking of joining Dakka's new RP. I'm really intrigued that you were going to play the Skaarj from Unreal. I'd probably just join as some human faction, because hey, that's me. :P

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

So this was originally in a PM, but I thought I would make it public since it's another character test request!

Quote Originally Posted by PaintSerf
    I genuinely feel terrible for everything that's happened / going to happen to Sapphira, and I shudder to think how poorly she'd do on that female character assessment, as she's become something of a punching bag this game.
    Spoiler: Let’s see shall we? 
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 05-10-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast